Chronicles of The Ended Earth | Teen Ink

Chronicles of The Ended Earth

By MemoriesOfTheFlame, Chicopee, Massachusetts
MemoriesOfTheFlame, Chicopee, Massachusetts

These days not even the driven snow is pure.

Author's note: I was inspired to write this when I read a book called No.6. I really liked the idea of life after the world has ended and how many different ways things could go. I wrote it so that people could get the message that we only have one world and we should take care of it. If we don't, it'll end up like destroyed.

I really worked hard on this chapter. I rewrote parts of it several times. I think it came out pretty good. But I'm not sure.

This world is a desolate place. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. It's because of how ignorant our ancestors were. They were slowly destroying the planet through pollution. But the final blow was delt during WW |||. The more dangerous countries used nuclear explosions. It was an immensely dangerous massacre on the world. America, Iraq, Russia, Syria and many other countries caused the damage.

The world's current population isn't even 0.03% of what it used to be. There were billions of people on earth before (must have been pretty crowded), now there are a hundred thousand people scattered around the world at most.

What were our ancestors thinking? There isn't much clean water. There are some places in the world where the air isn't even breathable. And the weather is out of control.

The people who live in this time are unhealthy and always fighting. All world order collapsed and now it's every man for himself. You have to be hostile, strong, and have skills with using weapons to survive.

Were there mutant animals in the past? Or were they something else that our ancestors are to blame for? Every year, hundreds die from mutant animals' violence. Making our low population dwindle even more.

I wonder what it'd be like if I lived in the past, before the world was almost completely destroyed. Like maybe the year 2012.

But either way, this is home sweet home. If this world got worse more people would die. But I and many others have managed to survive, so this place can't be that bad, now can it?

Some people believe that they can be saved and wished away to a paradise that doesn't exist. "Have faith," those imbeciles always say, "If we pray to God then he will save us."

I don't think that there is a God out there. Not like those people think. If there really was a divine being who helps the faithful, then he wouldn't have let the world get this way. If there is a God out there, then he's more evil than those idiots believe.

Even if there was a god, I wouldn't pray to him. I would still want to fight for myself and not rely on others. I don't care how divine they are.

But despite that, I don't hate those religious freaks. They those who are sad and broken, hope. Even though I don't agree with their babblings, they still help some people. So I guess they're alright.

I will survive without the help of others. I rill live and never depend on help. I will stay alone and never help anyone. Or at least that's what I thought before I met him.

A/N: His name will forever be Lorne a name meaning "forsaken one"
Purity- Rain also meaning "Blessed"

Chapter 1 A Chance Encounter

I was wandering around in the forest in what used to be called Germany. I believe it used to be called the Black Forest. (I'm not very learned on what this world used to be like.) My canteen was almost empty and I was searching for a new water source. I was almost out of food as well, but I knew that water was more important. I could go on weeks without food, but I couldn't last more than 3 days without water. I was getting desperate because I only had a few mouthfuls left. At least I wasn't in the desert. There isn't any water there, let alone clean water.

There should be a group of people who dwell within the forest. I was only going on a rumor, so I could've been wrong. After all, there isn't a good water source in these parts. So the environment here would be difficult to live in. But if I have any remainder of the luck that allowed me to survive so long, then I should be able to find them and steal their water and rations. That way, I can continue to exist in this world.

There are a few types of people in this world in my eyes. Those who ban together to live and support each other. Either as thieves or as the self proclaimed owners of land. Then those who remain alone and only fend for themselves.

I travel solo. It might not be the smartest lifestyle here. But this way, at least, I won't have anyone to way me down. And I won't have to worry about my land running out of water. For I don't have any land. It is the best way in particular for me to live. I won't have to depend on anyone, or be weighed down by anyone having to help them. And I won't get close to anyone. If there was one thing in life I knew, it was that.

I heard a sound. At first I thought that it was just an animal. But then I heard a voice. A human voice. So the rumors were true. I hid behind a tree, waiting for whoever it was to come closer. I had it all planned out in my mind. I would sneak up on him, and put a knife to his throat. Then I'd make him show me to the water and rations. It was a simple procedure. I'd done it so many times in the past, and was quite good at it. I quietly removed the dagger from it's leathery sheath.

A boy soon came into sight. He looked like a teenager, 15 or 16. So about my age. He looked about a half an inch shorter than me. And there was something off about him. Maybe his presence...? Yes that was it. People nowadays have an aura about them that is cold and heartless. And not unwilling to kill. But this boy... something about him felt... off. His presence didn't feel cold or heartless, or even threatening. No, his presence felt almost... pure... and ignorant. A soul unscathed by the world.

There were people like that...? I had heard that no one was even like that when this world was healthy. I didn't think that humans like that had ever existed. Animals maybe... but humans? Unheard of.

The boy seemed to be wandering in a daze. As if lost in thought. Maybe he was pondering some important information? But he looked to simple-minded to be thinking about something like that. Wait, why am I thinking of this? It does not concern me. Except for the fact that I could use this to my advantage.

I quietly crept up to him, careful not to make a sound. The trick is to not let the enemy sense your presence. By the time you let him know you're there, he'll already be captured. That strategy has helped me out a lot. I made my attack. I quickly grabbed hold of his short brown hair with my left hand, and with my right, I put my knife to his throat. "Don't move." I said not showing a hint of mercy in my voice. Letting him know my intent to kill him if he didn't listen to my orders.

A/N: Think if this as a part 2 to chapter 1. I didn't get to post all of it until now. Chapter 2 will be my next update.

I was behind him so that he couldn't see my face. But it was as much of a disappointment as an advantage. From where I was, I couldn't see the terror in his green eyes.

The boy was stiff with fear. His breathing was slowed, and he stood almost completely still. It would have been completely still, if it wasn't for the fact that he was trembling. "Show me where you keep your water and rations." I said coldly, strengthening my grip on him. The boy gulped, but then nodded. "Th-then y-you'll l-let me go?" He asked in a shaking voice, not hiding his fear.

"I might," I said, "Do as I say and we'll see. Now show me." The boy nodded showing that he would listen. But that unnecessary movement caused the knife to graze his throat. Not enough to hurt him, but enough so that I was serious. A bead of blood fell down his neck onto my knife. It was only a drop. Nothing more. But it made the boy gulp again.

The boy began to walk back in the direction that he had come from. I loosened my grip on him. But only a little bit. It was tight enough that he couldn't get away, but loose enough that the boy could move freely. He didn't talk after that. I wasn't sure whether he just didn't believe I was worth talking to, or if he was simply to scared to speak.

The boy lead me through the forest making many distinct turns. I was careful to memorize each one for when I would leave. That way it would be easier for me to make it out without getting lost. This was after all, the largest and darkest forest on the planet. It would be simple to get lost in there.

We walked in silence. And we seemed to be getting nowhere. No matter how long we walked, all I saw was trees. Just when I was starting to believe that the boy was just trying lead me astray, small huts came into sight. That must have been where the people lived. The water wasn't far off now. I knew that because, where there's people, water isn't far off. After all, they need it to live. If you go in a place full of people there'd have to be a lot of it.

Other people wandering around the huts came into sight. They wore normal clothes, like the boy, so they have been getting things from a lost civilization nearby. Since no one wastes time making clothes and fabrics now. They have more important things to do. Like protect their water.Maybe we were close to the edge of the forest? Ruins are everywhere nowadays. So if they were near the edge of the forest, they could take things from the ruins.

I wondered if they had guns or any other weapons. If they did, then they could easily overpower me and my few knives. Everyone knows that guns trump knives not matter what the situation. Then I realized, they wouldn't want to risk the boy I have getting hurt. I could use him as a hostage. But then again, it's better if no one sees me. I can't be sure how they'll react. For all I know, they could kill the boy as well as myself. Going out in the open would be an idiotic choice. It's best to just get in and get out. Doing flashy things like taking hostages aren't my style anyways.

We stopped abruptly as we neared the clearing the huts were in. Where if we moved further ahead, they'd see us, so we were just out of their sight. Now was the time to be observant and make a plan for how I could get in and out unnoticed. I first needed to find out which hut the water was kept in. I wasn't about to ask the boy though. Because for all I knew, he could lead me straight into a trap. I don't take those sorts of chances. It's not worth giving up your life just because you don't think ahead. If anything, I'll use the boy as a trump card. A last resort for if I get caught.

Then I saw it. There was a shed. Someone walked in and when they got out, they had a cup of water in their hands. So it was in the poorly guarded shed near the edge of their little camp. Well, wasn't that lucky? Very convenient for a thief such as myself.

I realized something. I was still holding the boy with my knife at his throat. It would be hard to move around while holding him like that. "I'm going to put my knife back in it's sheath. But if you don't follow my orders, I won't hesitate to bring it out again. And you'll get much more than a small cut. Do you understand?"

"Yes." The boy said instead of nodding. Clearly he was trying not to repeat what had happened before. I lowered my knife and put it back in it's sheath. "We're going into that shed." I said. This time the boy nodded. I saw his neck and noticed that the small cut was already beginning to heal.

I quietly and quickly made my way to the shed. I was on the side of the wall that was in the village's blind spot. I noticed that the boy hadn't followed me. I looked strait at him using my piercing eyes to my advantage. I narrowed them as I looked strait into his eyes, into his soul. Trapping him in my gaze. I moved my hand so that it was close to my knife's sheath. I wasn't actually going to take it out. More like it was a silent message. "Come over here, or I'll go over there with my knife." For a moment the boy didn't see it, still trapped in my gaze. I lowered my eyes, snapping him out of the fear that must have trapped him. The boy saw the knife and clearly got the message. He quickly walked to the shed. He stumbled once or twice but didn't fall down. When the boy caught up to me, he opened his mouth to say something. Before he could make a sound, I put my hand over his mouth preventing it. I raised my pointer finger from my other hand in front of my mouth, silently telling him to be quiet.

I moved my head past the wall and looked to see if anyone was near. The coast was clear. I looked back at the boy and nodded my head, using my body language to say that it was time to make a move. The two of us quietly made our way to the other side of the shed where the door was. I opened the door and walked in. The boy followed.

I was amazed when I walked into the shed. I saw at least thirty jugs of water. And they were large jugs too. Each one was tall enough to go up to my knee. I had never seen so much water all in one spot in my life. Let alone it all being clean. Then I realized that I hadn't checked to see if it was clean yet. It's better to be safe then sorry. "Boy," I said, "Take a sip of the water."

"I'm not a child!" The boy said. I hate it when hostages try to resist. It always gets bloody. I sighed and reached for my knife. Did he even realize the situation that he was in? Before my hand reached the sheath, the boy said, "Okay, okay, I'll do it!" I grinned. It seemed like he was finally beginning to understand his situation. I grabbed one of the wooden bowls that were lying around. Then I filled it with water from one of the jugs.

I thrust the water into his hands. A couple of drops of water fell out. For a brief second, my hands touched his. The skin felt smooth, and delicate. As if they ha never braved a day of work. Pathetic. It made me sick. I let go leaving the bowl in his hands. "Now drink." I said quietly, yet coldly just the same. The boy nodded and then took a sip. He didn't cringe or show any sign of it tasting off. "Is it safe?" I asked just to be sure. The boy nodded an took another sip.

I got out my two canteens. I knew I couldn't take to much water, because if I did, it would take traveling much harder. After all, water does weigh quite a bit if you have to much of it. That's why I limited myself to two decent sized canteens. I do the same for my food. That way, when I travel I can be fast and efficient. And it won't hold me back in a fight if I'm in one. Anyways, I got out my canteens and filled them with water from the jugs. I noticed the water was clear, so the boy had been telling the truth.

I then noticed something. There was more than just water here. There was food as well. I remembered how I was low on that too. So I took out my food pouch and decided to look for the crate full of dried meat. I could only take food that would stay good for a while. If I ever had fruit, I'd have to eat it fast. But then again, fruit is a rare delicacy. I would probably never get my hands on any of that. So anyways, I got out my food pouch and found the crate that the dried meat was in. As I looked through the crate, I noticed that there was more food in it than I had originally thought. A question dawned on my mind. How did they have so much food and water in a place lie this? There were no rivers that went through the forest and only a small amount of animals. So how did they have water and meat? It puzzled me. Well, it would make sense if they-

My voice was interrupted by the sound of the boy's voice and the smell of smoke. "No!!!" The boy had shouted. Showing fear, dismay, hurt, and tragedy all in one. I looked up to see what the problem was. I peered out the door (which I left open) and saw a dark cloud of smoke. And I saw orange and red slowly engulf the small village. It had been set on fire. Flames were slowly pervading through the huts. But it was far from the shed because it had started on the opposite side of the village from us. So we were in no immediate danger.

Screams if fear and pain flooded from the village. It seemed that all of the people there were caught in the fire as well as the huts. I knew there would e no survivors. It was almost ironic. The town was burning down, while we were with the water supply. There would be no chance of putting out the fire. It looked as if it was the end of the village. Oh well, it's not like I could've done anything about it. With how high the flames were, not even this quantity of water could douse it. Then I looked up at the boy's face (I was crouching on the ground at the time), to see that he was in a panic. "We have to help them!" The boy cried. Tears burned down his cheeks. I could tell that they were probably the first he's shed in a long time. The boy turned and took a step towards the raging flames. I will never understand what happened next. Nor do I understand why I did it.

I reached out my hand and grabbed his. "Don't go." I said. I don't know why I did it, even at the time. Maybe I was ticked off by his arrogance, thinking he could save them all and wanted to knock him down a few notches. Maybe I wanted to show him to think of yourself first. Maybe I wanted to show him to never put yourself in danger for others. I don't know what my reasons were. But I knew what they weren't, I did not stop the kid out of compassion, I did not do it out of love, worry, or fondness.

"Let go." The boy said. So now he thought he was in charge? Was he really that arrogant that he thought that e could order me? Let alone save all of those careless villagers? He overestimated himself. I got back up onto my feet still not letting go if his hand. I struck my free hand against his face. "What was that for?" The boy asked. "You idiot!" I said, "How could you be of any help to them? How could you be so arrogant as to believe that you could single handedly save them all?! From the moment the fire started, their fates were sealed! Going in there would only be adding another corpse to the flames! And once you got there, what did you think you would do?! Magically save them all? You're-"

"I would have thought if something." The boy said interrupting me. "You would have thought of something?! You clueless brat! Why the hell did I even bother to stop you?!" I yelled. I took my hand from his. "Go! By all means go! Save them! Prove me wrong!" The boy frowned, also he showed a small sliver of fear in his eyes. He clearly didn't like the result if invoking my anger. He then sighed, "I c-can't." The boy said. I raised my eyebrow, silently asking, "Oh really?" "It's because n-now th-that I think about it, you're right." The boy admitted reluctantly. I couldn't help but smirk.

The boy got down on his hands and knees and began to cry. It must have been torture for him to watch all that he held dear be destroyed right before his eyes. The flames, the screams, the tears. They all can factor into turning a person mad if they were surrounded by them long enough. Having all around destroyed and desolated. An empty shell of what used to be. Just like the Earth.

I didn't try to comfort him. I didn't tell him to hold back his tears either. I stood there with my eyes burning from the smoke. I didn't try to disturb him. I wasn't about to tread on his emotions. I knew that pain and suffering was not to be taken lightly. Sometimes it's better to cry for hours on end then trying to contain the sadness and remorse.

Eventually the fire burnt out. Leaving nothing left than ash and smoke lingering in the air. Just as all things must end, a person's tears can't last. The boy's eyes eventually stopped producing the salty water droplets. He was now at the point where he couldn't cry anymore. Although, I'm sure he wanted to. Because he could no longer cry, he began to talk, "Th-they to-ook me i-in wh-when I h-had no-nowhere else to g-go. Th-they excepted me e-ven though th-they d-didn't kn-know me. Th-they were s-so k-kind. And now th-they're dead. I-I c-couldn't even h-help them." The boy sobbed not seeming able to speak clearly. He'd been crying to long. His voice was shaking and he was unable to stop stuttering. It must have really hit him hard. The boy went silent.

I walked over to the door. When I was at the point where I was between being inside the shack and outside the door, I said, "Get up and keep living or stay within the depths of despair. The choice is your's." Then I walked away from the shed and the ashes that were formerly a village.

This book has 1 comment.

MayaS. BRONZE said...
MayaS. BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
This was interesting because this world wasn't your typical postapocaylpse. I liked the image of the Black Forest, to me it really symbolized Nature re-conquering the world. I'm curious to know how far into the future this is. Favorite part: The boy has just wandered into the theif's path, and the thief notices how innocent he looks: "There were people like that....?" Comments: There were spelling/grammar errors; the protagonist's identity was a little vague; the fire at the end seemed random; wouldn't the flames spread to the surrounding trees? Anyway, this story was really compelling and can't wait to read more!