Dragon Princess | Teen Ink

Dragon Princess

By emmie109, Perth, Other
emmie109, Perth, Other

Try not. Do or Do not! There is no Try - Yoda

Author's note: I had been watching a lot of things about girls going to a strange new world and I thought I could write something similar but give a new twist.

It was Monday the first day back at school for the year, Kadie was excited this was her last year of high school, she knew it was going to be a hard year full of exams and tests but it would be the last one. After high school Kadie was planning on going into child care, becoming a teacher or something. It wasn't that she couldn't be something else, something to do with medicine or politics, she took all those classes and enjoyed them but she wanted to have an easier, more flexible job. Her older brother Peter drove her and her little sister to school like normal and they parted with big grins at each other.
Peter had graduated last year and was now in his first year of university studying to be a lawyer, he wanted to be an environmental lawyer and with the way the world was going Kadie thought it was a good choice. She quickly walked to the outside of the library where her friends would meet, sure enough sitting on the bench outside was her best friend Diane and her other friends, Brady, Laura and Sarah. They hadn't seen each other for a while, about two weeks because during their holidays their parents had taken them away on holidays. It was the first day back so Kadie was learning what everyone had been up to during their holidays and catching up with all the gossip.
First class of the day was sports, after year 10 you were allowed to drop this subject by Kadie had always liked sport and she enjoyed long distant running and sprints. While she was getting changed Kadie was talking to Sarah, when Sarah noticed her stomach again.
"I really think you should get it checked out," Sarah said worry thick in her voice, "it seems so unnatural."
"Like I've told you before, I have gotten it checked out before and the doctors say it will fade," Kadie looked down at her stomach too, "but it seems to be getting darker".
On Kadie's stomach a little to the right hand side was a massive birthmark in the shape of a dragon. It had been there since she was born, her mother had worried about it too and Kadie had seen a zillion skin specialists but they all said, it was just a birth mark and should fade in time. All Kadie's friends knew she had it and sometimes when people got mad at her they would call her a dragon. Kadie didn't mind the birthmark but she didn't like people calling her a dragon.
School went as it normally did, it felt extremely long but it was just 6 hours at the end of the day she walked to the bus station with Brady and Diane, Diane hopped on the bus and they said goodbye.
Brady and Kadie were going shopping for Diane's birthday present, I was Diane's birthday in two days and they both still needed to get her something. Kadie would buy her something nice like always but this year Brady had worked up the courage to ask her out so he wanted to get her something extra nice. Kadie knew there was a cute antique shop around the corner at the local shopping centre from the school with some cheep things as well. She knew Diane liked that shop so she was taking Brady to see if there was anything that caught their eye for Diane. The moment they got there Brady quickly began looking for something while Kadie took her time browsing. She walked past a case full of jewellery looking at all the fancy little clips and accessories for girls hair, maybe Diane would like one of those, something caught her eye and she stopped walking.
At the back of the case in the far corner was a necklace the same shape as her birthmark, her hand went to her stomach as she looked at the gold necklace. The dragon was in beautiful detail, you could see all the scales carved into the gold, the dragon’s eyes were two green gems the same size as the tip of a ball point pen. In the middle of the dragon over the heart was a big dark ruby gem stone the same size as three tips of a ball point pen, the dragon was stretched out as though it was flying through the sky, the tail pointed straight down the face pointing forward. Kadie stood staring at the necklace for a while until she began to get a weird pulsing sensation in her side, the same place as her birthmark.
"What you looking at?" Brady said and Kadie tore her eyes away from the necklace to see he had walked up behind her, "whoa it looks like your stomach," Brady said staring at it too.
Kadie noticed they were drawing the eyes of the sale lady so she turned to Brady "found anything?"
"Yeah a couple of clips, I already brought them while you were staring off into space," Kadie pulled a face at that but looked at the clips all the same, they were beautiful, Diane would really love them, Kadie thought and smiled at Brady, "let's go," she said.
"You're not going to buy the necklace?" Brady said pointing at it, the moment she looked back at it she felt a little weird like her skin was heating up and birthmark began to pulse again.
"No," she said shaking her head past the weird feeling, "I get enough of you guys telling me I'm a dragon; I don't want to have another reason for you too."
"I suppose that's true," Brady said and they left the shop. Kadie still felt a little weird but the feeling was beginning to go away.
That night Kadie kept having the feeling that she was too hot, it was summer but the temperature was only 29°C Kadie felt like it was 35°C she didn't know what was wrong so she had a cold shower and got into bed early, maybe she was coming down with a cold.
That night Kadie had the strangest dream...
She was standing in the middle of a great stone building, there were pillars everywhere and carvings on the wall of scenes, it seemed she was standing in the middle of an old temple. She had no control of what she was doing but she seemed different too, her hair was longer past her waist and a different colour, brown, she was wearing a cerulean silk dress from her chest it reached the floor, her chest was covered by the cloth in a criss-cross shape and she was bare foot wearing so much jewellery. Looking down she saw around her neck was the dragon necklace from the antique shop. She was walking forward towards the edge of the temple, she couldn't stop herself moving, when she reached the edge, she was adored by cheering and clapping. She raised her tan skinned arms towards the sky and the cheers became louder. In front of her a man dropped to one knee and lowered his head, brown chestnut coloured hair fell around his face and his shoulders, his tan skin looked darker in the dim temple.
"You grace us with your presence," he looked up into her eyes, "Azura, Dragon Goddess," her hand reached forward and he gently took it in his before slowly raising and kissing her hand.
Kadie woke up panting, sweat dripping from her body, her right side beneath the birthmark pulsating strongly she rested her hand on it, remembering the dream. She tried to take deep breaths and calm down, but it had been so life like she raced out of bed to her mirror checking her reflection, her hair was still black and up to the middle of her back, her skin was pale ivory her eyes were the same green as the leafs outside in the trees. She was still Kadie, she turned to head back to bed when she felt something move against her skin and she caught sight of something above her shirt. She froze. Hanging around her neck, was the dragon necklace from the antique shop.

Kadie stood frozen in the mirror looking at the necklace around her neck suddenly thought came back to her, she reached behind to unclasp the necklace but she couldn't find the link, she pulled the chain around and around looking for the link but she couldn't see it, she grabbed the necklace and pulled but it wouldn't come off. She sat on her bed and thought, this couldn't be happening, how did this necklace get here? And how do you get it off? She pulled it one last time but nothing, she released it and it fell to her chest. She looked at her night table and saw the time was 6am in the morning, the antique place was about an hour and a half away and it opened at 7 so she could make it there and ask them how to get it off, and then head around the corner to school. But what would she tell them she had woken up and it had magically appeared on her neck. Somehow she didn't think they would buy that but what other choice did she have. They could accuse her of theft but there would be footage showing she didn't take it. She quickly got dressed in her uniform, wrote a note to her family saying she went out and left the house.
It was 7:30 when she arrived just like she predicted; it was the same lady as the day before. Kadie had tucked in the necklace into her shirt before she entered the shop.
The lady looked at her as she entered then quickly looked to where the necklace had been yesterday. The lady was probably in her 70's with long grey hair plated behind her and tan skin she smiled as Kadie walked to her.
"You've got the necklace, don't you?" she said in a sweet voice, Kadie couldn't tell if it was an act but she reached in and pulled out the dragon necklace.
"I'm so sorry," Kadie said instantly, "You might not believe me but I have no idea how come it's around my neck and I can't get it off," she silently hoped desperately for the woman to believe her.
"It won't come off," the lady said with knowledge, "that necklace was never a part of our shop, it turned up yesterday a little while before you and your friend came, then it vanished after you left." Kadie stared at her in disbelief.
"You don't know the story of the Dragon Necklace?" the lady said her head tilted to the side. Kadie shook her head, the old lady looked at the watch on the wall, "you'll be late for school," she said, "come back this afternoon and I'll tell you." Kadie nodded, she didn't really want to hear the story, what she wanted was to get the necklace off but she thought, she'll listen to the story then get the necklace taken off.
Kadie left the shop and felt the sun beat down on her again, it wasn't supposed to be this hot only in the high 20's again but she felt like it was in the 40's. She turned and continued walking to school but each step became more difficult she was fighting to keep moving. She felt something touch her and she jumped around but no one was there, she continued to walk until she finally saw the pavement rushing towards her head.

Kadie took a deep breath, she was lying on her back, it was clear she had passed out but where was she, did somebody call the ambulance was she in hospital, the schools sick bed, she felt the wind move her hair and sand hitting her legs. She opened her eyes to see the sun pounding down above her, she must still be on the ground, but then why didn't her head hurt. She sat up slowly and looked around, where was she? She was outside in the middle of a dirt road, there were stones beside her and she could hear the sound of water rushing, she looked next to her and saw she was sitting next to a spring. There was some grass and some flowers but mostly there was dirt and rocks. She stood up and looked around trying to find her bearings but she had no idea where she was. She had been walking to school, it was getting hard to walk and the air had gotten thick, she had obviously passed out. But where was she now? This couldn't be possible, she thought as she looked around at the street, it looked like an old street market, the buildings were all made out of stones and mud and seemed to be pretty small, Kadie couldn't decide if people lived in there or they were shops one thing she did know was she wasn't in Kansas anymore. She turned around in a circle looking in every direction but she could only see streets filled with stone houses. There was some green spots of grass here and there the occasional tree and some flowers but not much greenery, it looked like she was in some type of desert village? How had she gotten here?
She finally realised she was being stared at. People were looking at her strangely and she looked back at them with a scared look on her face. All the women seemed to be wearing cotton dresses and cotton skirts with lose fitting tops, all the men were wearing cotton pants and a cotton tunic some also had vests on. They were all staring at her and who could blame them, there she was standing in the middle of who knows where in a tiny navy blue school skirt and a white button up soft cotton school shirt which now seemed to be more brown than white. She was pale while they all seemed to be tan and she had black hair that looked blue in the sunlight, while they all seemed to be blondes and brunets. Where was she? Suddenly she heard people running and saw a group of soldiers running towards her, she figured they were soldiers because they were running at her with swords and they were all wearing the same outfit; long black cotton pants and a long green and red tunic split up the sides to the top of their hips, a sash was tied around their waist to keep the top together. Kadie stood staring for a while wondering what they were doing. She soon realised they were looking at her, running towards her. She turned and sprinted off in some unknown direction, her thoughts were, I'm not going to wait around to see what they want.

With no idea where she was and no one around to help her, Kadie ran she ran faster than she had ever run in her life. She tried not to look behind her but she could hear the footfalls of the soldiers chasing her. Every turn she made looked the same, the same stone, mud walls, she was quickly becoming confused but she didn't stop. With no way of knowing where she was going she just ran turning this way and that until she reached a wall, she quickly climbed over the top and ducked behind it keeping low and quiet, she listened as the sound of running stopped.
"Which way did she go?" one asked sounding out of breath.
"Split up," said another and soon some ran left and some ran right, she had managed to evade them. For now. She allowed herself to relax and took a deep shaking breath trying to calm down. She looked around where she was hiding. She froze. Across from her, about three metres away was a man dressed in lose white cotton pants and a faded brown tunic, his hair was long, to his shoulders and shining blonde from the sun. His eyes the same colour as the oceans a deep dark crystal clear blue were staring at her and soon a small smile appeared on his lips. Now that she had looked at him she noticed the sword hanging against his pants, the only thing Kadie focused on was the sword, shining at his waist. It was still hilted but it wouldn't take him long to draw it.
"What do we have here?" he said in a deep but soft, velvety voice and he started to walk closer.
Kadie quickly turned to run again, fearing for her life, she turned and saw the soldiers coming back towards where she was hiding. She took a deep breath to run when suddenly hands grabbed her around the waist and pulled her against something, she made a small noise of shock before she was held against the long line of someone's body, and before she could protest he pushed her on the floor, threw a rug over them and kissed her. She froze shocked, it was her first kiss and he stole it, she was ready to be enraged to attack him and get him off of her, then the sound of the soldiers reached her ears and she froze.
"Excuse me sir," one said in an old gruff voice, "have you seen a strange girl wearing odd clothes around here?"
The man released Kadie's mouth only to stick his hand over it so she couldn't say anything, she knew he was going to report her and then she would be taken somewhere.
"You're disturbing me," said the same velvet voice from before, but this time there was a hint of anger.
"Oh General Rya," the gruff man said sounding surprised, "sorry," he muttered a couple of times while him and his men quickly backed away. Kadie began to struggle to try and get away from him and it drew his attention back to her.
"Why is the emperor's army looking for you?" he wondered aloud, his hand still covering her mouth, suddenly he froze above her, eyes focused on her chest. During her struggles the dragon necklace she still couldn't get off fell out her shirt.
"You where did you get this?" he said sounding urgent, he let go of her mouth but continued to hold her down, "answer me, did you steal it?" he said and shook her.
Kadie shook her head, "I was at an antique shop, I found this necklace and when I woke up I was wearing it and I can't get it off."
Kadie didn't think he was listening to her; he was still staring at the necklace. Suddenly his hands were pulling up her shirt, after a moment of shock she started fighting against him but he was too strong.
"Let go of me," she said crying and struggling, but he held her down he suddenly froze, "it can't be," he said and his hand grazed her stomach were her birthmark shaped like a dragon was. Kadie was still crying and struggling when he let go of her.
"You're coming with me," he said and started to pull her towards the street. Kadie was scared and had no idea who this man was and why he wanted her, she fought with all her might and broke his grip on her arm, without a second’s hesitation she turned and ran.
"Wait," he called but Kadie kept running, she kept running and didn't stop until she mistakenly ran into a dead end, she turned around and saw soldiers surrounding her from all sides and she had nowhere to run.

Guards closed in around her on every side, there was nowhere else for her to go but backwards, even then she soon hit the wall. Kadie was scared; she was in a scary place, surrounded by soldiers after she had already been attacked by the blonde guy.
“So many men to take one girl,” said a velvet voice, all the soldiers turned around except for one who kept his eyes on her, Kadie looked past the soldiers and saw the blond guy walking towards them and his sword was now out.
“This isn’t your business Rya, Lord Makoto knows nothing of this, this task is sent by the Emperor himself,” said the soldiers whose eyes wouldn’t leave Kadie.
“Really Gunnarr, I highly doubt that,” the blond man, Rya said walking closer swinging his sword.
“Do you really think you could take on all of us and prevent the girl being taken? We are the Emperor’s personal soldiers.” Gunnarr said and finally took his eyes of Kadie to give Rya a sceptical look, “not even you are that good.”
Kadie felt a glimmer of hope when she thought this man, Rya, would help her.
“It’s good to see you still remember who you’re supposed to be serving,” Rya said looking at only at Gunnarr while walking through the other men sword swinging in front of him making all the soldiers back away. “But I never said I came here to fight,” as soon as the words left his mouth Kadie panicked, no one was going to help her. As he walked by Rya stared at her, his deep crystal blue eyes completely focused on her, he wasn’t even blinking, it unnerved Kadie but she had other things to worry about. As soon as he was out of sight all the soldiers turned back to her.
“Grab her,” Gunnarr said it was clear he was the head soldier. Kadie could do nothing as two soldiers walked forward and grabbed the top of her arms. She tried to fight them off but they had a death grip on her. They easily lifted her off the ground so she couldn’t fight anymore, she just dangled between them, when they turned the corner she looked back over her shoulder, maybe she could yell for help.
There leaning against the wall was the blonde man Rya, he was watching the group intently, his eyes finally locked with hers and he smiled at her. Kadie turned to face forward all hope of a rescue gone.

Rya didn’t like watching the soldier’s smug looks as they walked past him, thinking they had beaten him. No one could bear him; he would have disarmed them and taken the girl before they could yell for Goddess Tactia’s protection. The only reason he allowed them to take the girl was because this was a matter of politics, something he lacked strength in, he would tell Makoto what had happened and then rescue the peculiar girl and find out what Shino was planning, the girl would now what he was up to.
When she looked back at him and their eyes locked he couldn’t help but smile, she looked so helpless. It was clear she hadn’t done anything to be captured by the Emperor’s soldiers but realistically they weren’t the Emperor’s soldiers anymore, they were Shino’s. What really stumped Rya was the necklace she was wearing and the birthmark on her stomach, it couldn’t be true, there was no way that scrawny little girl was the Dragon Princess.
The moment the soldiers had left his eyesight Rya turned and run back towards the Emperor’s palace. He reached the inner gates and grabbed one of the guards, “Where’s Makoto?” he said barely out of breath.
“In the conference room with the Emperor,” Rya suddenly looked at the guard wearing the kings personal guards outfit; he quickly released the guard and ran off again in the direction of the conference room. It was times like this he hated the kingdom, why did it have to be so big anyway.
Finally Rya reached the conference room, the guards tried to stop him but he walked straight in. He walked over to the middle of the room and bowed from the waist staring at the floor while he said, “Emperor Erlingr, Lord Makoto.”
“Ah Rya, what a splendid surprise,” the Emperor said, Rya looked up after being addressed. The Emperor was fifty years old, his long brown hair, streaked grey and white was tied up into a bun and hidden under the black tower like hat he wore. He was dressed in a royal purple robe, embroidered in red with a phoenix and trimmed with gold. He was smiling, happily. As Rya looked at him it was easy to understand why his own guards had stopped supporting him. After the birth of his 8th son, the Empress had been murdered. Since that day five years ago he had stopped all violence and tried to keep the peace between the countries. That wasn’t working so his first son Shino who was 20, his second son Makoto who was 18 and his third son Dion who was 17, were leading the armies for their father and tried to keep the peace. It was only recently Rya and Makoto had learned about Shino’s other ambitions, which brought Rya back to his original urgency.
“Lord Makoto, something’s happened,” he said looking into Makoto’s eyes willing him to see the matter was an emergency. Makoto and Rya had been friends since they were babies and raised like brothers they understood each other better than anyone. Makoto gave a small nod of his head.
“Excuse me please father,” Makoto said, raising from his chair and bowing to his father.
“Ah Makoto, you make me proud,” The Emperor said and stood up, “I shall go home. But you must promise to visit me soon.”
“I will father, I promise,” Makoto said smiling, his kind, caring at his father and walking beside him as he left the room. He turned to Rya in an instant and his face was serious, “Rya what has happened?”
“I was in the city’s streets when I came across a girl being chased by the emperor’s guards,” he said clearly.
“What?!” Makoto said stunned, “my father has been here with me for most of the morning, he never sent them out.”
“I figured that,” Rya said, “the girl in question was different, other worldly if you will, she certainly didn’t come from around here and she seemed terrified, if you asked me it was Shino.”
“Shino,” Makoto whispered, “a girl from out of the area?” Makoto quickly asked.
Rya nodded, “she seemed terrified and when I questioned them, Gunnarr told me it was the emperor’s orders.”
“He did,” Makoto said looking up, “you let them go?”
“What was I suppose to do?” Rya said throwing his arms into the air, “we have no idea why Shino wants her. What we should do is go rescue her.”
“Rescue her,” Makoto said thinking, “Yes, I’ll think of something,” he said and sat down.
Rya couldn’t wait for him to come up with some brilliant plan they had to act now, “Makoto we have to get her now!” Rya said impatiently
“What’s the rush,” Makoto said, “if we go to fast we won’t be able to get her, my brother does outrank me you know.”
“Makoto,” Rya said and kneeled in front of where Makoto was sitting, “She is the Dragon Princess!”
“What?!” Makoto said and jumped to his feet, “how do you know?”
“She had the necklace and the birthmark, I saw it, it was on her stomach.”
“How did you see it?” Makoto asked then smiled, “never mind, I know your play boy ways. She truly is the Dragon Princess?”
“I swear it is her,” Rya said his hand over his heart.
Makoto studied him for a moment; Rya had never been so serious in his life, “Where have they taken her?”
“It seemed they took her towards Azura’s Temple,” Rya said walking out of the room Makoto followed him.
“The Dragon Goddesses Temple,” Makoto whispered shocked, “they must know her identity. Let’s go,” he said walking to the door. He told the nearest guards to summon Hakon and his sister. Together, Makoto and Rya walked side by side to the front of the palace where the horses were waiting. Makoto’s, only thoughts were why does Shino want her?

Kadie was scared and cold. She had been taken and left in what she could only describe as a temple. The soldiers had taken her in through the back entrance and left her in a room off to the side of the main building. She had been tied up against a stone pillar, arms behind her back. The room Kadie would guess only three meters by three meters, it was made of what looked like limestone and mud was holding the massive blocks together. The door was made of wood but there were engravings of dragons on it a curtain hang on the other side, looking like a tapestry, she wondered if anyone knew this room existed. The only thing in the room apart from her was a wooden chair in the corner; it looked so old and unstable. She looked around the tiny room and thought she vaguely recognised it, there were scenes carved into the walls and a massive statue of a female carved at the end of the temple, Kadie could only see her feet and the dress she wore, her face was hidden. Suddenly the place looked too familiar, visions of her dream last night flashed through her head, the strong confident woman being cheered and the man on his knees in front of her. Kadie began to struggle more strongly against the ropes holding her still, her wrists were quite small and the rope wasn’t too tight, she could still move her hands.
She heard foot falls from the other side of the door; she listened carefully trying to guess how many were out there but she didn’t have the ear for it may be around four people. She pulled on the rope trying to get free but it didn’t work, she took three deep breaths then tried pulling her right arm free, the door open and she stopped struggling and tried to feign sleep.
“Why is she unconscious?” asked a man with a deep voice, it sounded like it contained so much power.
“I don’t know my lord,” said a voice that sounded like the soldier called Gunnarr.
“She was awake when we left her,” another soldier said, but Kadie didn’t know his name.
“Wake her up,” said the deep powerful voice. Kadie heard someone come closer to her felt the heat of their body next to her skin and still she didn’t move trying to feign sleep. Something struck her left cheek and her head flew sideways and her eyes snapped open. Gunnarr was standing next to her his hand raised; when he saw she was awake he backed away.
Kadie looked around the room her cheek pounding, there were three men, she had guessed correctly, but there was no time to pat herself on the back. Gunnarr was now standing next to the right hand wall, dressed in the soldier’s clothes of white cotton pants and green tunic, she finally noticed there was a shield on the tunic, it was gold embroidery but it was too far away for her to know what it was. Gunnarr seemed to be in his late 30’s judging by the wrinkles at the side of his brown eyes and forehead and the streaks of grey appearing in his light brown hair, it was the same colour as the bark of a willow tree. His body was solid you could see he was physically strong, his tan skin showed he worked outside in tough conditions and his stance poured confidence. The other soldier next to him seemed younger, in his early 20’s maybe, judging by how he seemed a little nervous, he was tall, tan and thin a little muscular, with blond short hair and blue eyes.
One man looked different, dressed in a red robe embroidered with a yellow dragon; he stood tall a stance that showed power, he too was tan, blond and blue eyed. Was everyone here blonde and blue eyed? This man looked at her, his face full of curiosity and a hint of something Kadie couldn’t name.
“You say Rya saw you?” the man wearing red asked Gunnarr, “does he know?”
“No my lord,” Gunnarr said, “he walked by and left her, he only caught a glimpse of her.”
The man in red walked forward leaning over Kadie he looked down at her chest where the necklace had spilled out of again. He reached down as if to touch the necklace but didn’t. Kadie was working on her wrists again, this time working slowly, bending her wrists in different directions.
The man in red stood up and walked over to Gunnarr, where they began whispering, the room was too quiet for Kadie not to hear.
“She is the perfect sacrifice, with this the God of war and the Goddess of power will surly grace me with power, enough power to kill the Emperor and control the country.” To Kadie, he sounded a little like an evil mastermind if he was Mr Burns he would be tapping his fingers saying “excellent” by now.
“But what about Lord Makoto?” the younger guard asked, “He wouldn’t sit idly by.”
“Well then we’ll kill him too,” the red man said, “and Rya that pest.”
What was going on? Kadie had no idea what they were talking about but she wanted out of there, she continued to work on her wrists slowly but then the Red man walked back towards her.
“Where am I?” she asked trying to sound strong but her effort was in vain.
“You speak when you’re spoken too,” Gunnarr said, walking forward and slapping her in the cheek again. Her head whirled around to the side.
“Enough Gunnarr,” said the red man in a loud, strong voice, “she’s allowed to be curious.”
“Yes, my lord,” Gunnarr said bowing and walking backwards.
“You are in Twacee,” he said and held his hands to the side and tilted his head. Twacee? Where was that?
Kadie shook her head and asked another question, “What do you want from me?”
He looked at her then and a smile came to his thin lips, “I am going to take over the empire and you are privileged enough to help me, Dragon Princess.” What? Kadie thought, “I shall sacrifice you too the gods, they will grant me power and I shall rule everything.”
Kadie stared in disbelief, this guy seemed diabolical and evil, he seemed as though he was out of a fantasy novel. Obviously Kadie was dreaming.
“Should you tell her this, my lord?” Gunnarr asked from the corner.
“She’s going to die soon, does it matter,” red man said, “it is an honour to die for such a great cause.”
Suddenly there was a commotion outside and a new guard walked into the room, “Lord Shino, Lord Makoto and General Rya are outside and they want to see you.”
“What?” Red man obviously Lord Shino said he turned on Gunnarr “you said Rya didn’t suspect anything!”
“There’s no way he could have,” Gunnarr said.
“Tell them I am busy and will be out shortly,” Lord Shino said and began pacing, around the room, in that moment four things happened at once, Kadie had unbound her wrists and jumped to her feet. The soldier left the room and Lord Makoto and General Rya burst through the door getting everyone’s attention, Kadie grabbed the wooden chair, lifted it off the floor and hit Lord Shino over the back of the head, she had been right it was weak, it broke and fell to the ground in pieces, Lord Shino also fell to the ground unconscious. Gunnarr, the nervous soldier, the outside guard and Rya all pulled their swords.

Kadie stared at the unconscious body on the floor and the broken pieces of the chair all around him. It was the first time she had ever attacked someone and she noticed her arms had begun shaking. She looked up to see the blond man, Rya who had kissed her, fighting the three Emperors guards. The other man, Kadie assumed that he must be Lord Makoto, walked around to stand next to her. His arms raised in a peace gesture. Kadie looked nervously at him and willed her arms and the rest of her body to stop shaking. Makoto looked at her with pity; she really was helpless and seemed to be in a terrible state of mind. Her black hair was unusual and her bright green eyes stood out, framed by her black hair and pale skin. Makoto didn’t know where to being describing the clothes she wore, so instead he focused on the necklace. If she had the mark like Rya said then she was definitely the Dragon Princess. Makoto looked down into her face and saw her watching Rya, Makoto too turned to watch Rya fight.
Rya had been spoiling for a fight since that morning and to fight Gunnarr made his day. Gunnarr always bragged about being undefeatable. He was the master of evasion and normally found many ways to stay away from Rya; they had never had a real fight. Even as he thought this Rya knew today wouldn't be a true fight either, something which saddened him but he couldn't help it.
“You think you can beat the three of us?” Gunnarr said, getting on Rya’s nerves.
“With my arm behind my back,” he said full of confidence and smiled as he put his better arm, his right arm, behind his back.
Makoto didn't want Rya to fight because if he injured Gunnar his father would find out and Rya would probably be punished for provoking a member of the Emperor's guards.
Kadie stood there in the room having an out of body experience, this couldn't be happening to her. Were they going to fight? Would she have to fight? With all these thoughts in her head she jumped when Lord Makoto spoke.
"Rya," Makoto called in a strong clear voice, "We're leaving."
Kadie looked at the man called Lord Makoto he was tall, standing at least 6 foot 3 inches, making Kadie seem much smaller standing at 5 foot 2 inches. He wore another red robe but this one was embroidered with a gold dragon and phoenix, he looked extremely elegant. His chestnut brown hair reached the middle of his back and was braided away from his face, keeping it out his bright blue eyes. Kadie stared she hadn't seen anyone with brown hair and blue eyes before, at least not a natural brunet. This guy was Lord Makoto.
Kadie was drawn back into the here and now by the sound of Rya’s voice
“Girl,” Kadie looked at him, being the only girl in the room led her to believe he was talking to her, “you’re coming with us, go with Makoto,” Rya said. Kadie looked at Makoto and saw him hold out an arm for her to grab onto.
Kadie was scared, she didn’t want to go with Lord Makoto but she didn’t want to stay here. She didn’t know what Makoto wanted from her but so far they were saving her and Rya had saved her earlier on in some perverted way. She knew if she stayed here she was going to be sacrificed to the god of war and the goddess of power. Makoto and Rya hadn’t tried to kill her yet.
The sound of Gunnar’s voice broke her train of thought, “You cannot have her.”
“Why not?” Makoto asked his face turned to Gunnar and his expression changed from peaceful to angry in a second. Makoto was a master at hiding his emotions but at times, like now he lost his patients.
“Lord Shino found her,” the young guard said.
“She doesn’t seem to be a criminal,” Rya said, “why do you want her?”
“She is Lord Shino’s sacrifice to the goddess of peace for the upcoming festival,” Gunnar said thinking on his feet. Makoto felt his anger harden, saying she was a sacrifice meant they couldn’t take her. Damn it, he thought. He felt the girl next to him tense and looked to see a fine trembling break out over her skin. He looked at Rya to see if he had any bright ideas and was shocked to see him smiling.
“She’s not fit to be a sacrifice,” Rya said and Gunnar gave him a curious glance.
“What makes you say that?” Gunnar asked, there was no way they could get her out of Lord Shino’s plan, Rya was obviously bluffing.
“She’s impure,” he said and smiled at Kadie who was still frozen at the thought of being stuck here as a sacrifice. Impure, I’m impure, she thought not understanding.
“How can she be impure?” Gunnar said laughing, “She arrived little over 2 hours ago and has been with us for one of them. Before she came she was pure. How could something have happened within one hour?”
“Well you should know,” Rya said smiling, “you were there. Hmm… Let’s see, it was in the Phoenix court yard when you interrupted us.”
Gunnar went bright purple and turned towards Kadie, “you were with him before you were taken?” he said in a low dangerous voice.
Kadie didn’t understand the question but before she was taken she was with him so she nodded slowly. When she looked back up Gunnar was purple he looked that angry but both Rya and Makoto were smiling.
“See,” Rya said, “in fact I quite liked her and maybe I will keep her.” Rya had put his sword away and was walking towards Kadie when Makoto yelled out “Gunnar,” everyone froze, even Gunnar. Rya turned to see Gunnar two meters away with his sword still out.
“Gunnar,” Makoto said and his voice was soft but sounded deadly, “I am the second son of the emperor and while Shino is unconscious I am legally regarded as the number one son, the next heir, so heed my words. As Rya has said, the girl is now his and you have no claim to her, not even Shino would be able to stop them and besides she is impure and unsuitable for a sacrifice. Rya is considered by the people as a son of the emperor to harm him is to harm the empire itself as he is our greatest warrior and the reason we stay out of so many wars. Do not harm him or you will face sever consequences that my father and brother would not be able to prevent. Now you will let us leave.”
With that Makoto began to walk out of the room, Rya had never seen him like that before, he was obviously mad. Rya walked after him, his arm around Kadie taking her too but he kept his eyes on Gunnar as he left the room. Gunnar just watched them leave his face another bright shade of purple.

Kadie was being led across the temple floor by Rya’s strong arm around her back but when she saw the statue she froze. It looked like the woman in the dream. Kadie was getting freaked out; it wasn’t enough that the temple reminded her of the dream but the statue was of the woman. Maybe she was dreaming still?
“What?” said a startled voice next to her ear, Rya had stopped with her but he didn’t know why.
Kadie stiffened from fear but answered him none the less, “I saw her in my dream last night.”
“Huh,” Rya said and turned his attention to where she was looking “Goddess Azura…” he whispered and looked back at Kadie a weird expression on his face.
“You two,” Makoto said a little while in front of them, it had taken him a while to notice they had stopped, “we can talk more when we get to my castle.”
Kadie looked at him; they were going to his castle? She just wanted to go home but the man, Lord Shino had said they were in Twacee. As far as Kadie knew that place didn’t exist on Earth. Where was she?
They were at the front of the temple and Kadie watched as two strangers walked towards them. One was male and one was female but both were dressed in red and black, their red tunic was embroidered with a black dragon and both were heavily armed. The male had long brown hair up to his shoulders but it was plated behind him. The female had longer brown hair up to the middle of her back but it too was tied back in a plate.
Kadie slowly edged behind Rya and walked slower and slower. Rya noticed and stopped he couldn’t believe she was the dragon princess, she seemed too scared and helpless but he had seen the mark himself.
He raised his arm and pointed at the male, “that’s Hakon, his the second in command of Makoto’s army and that’s his twin sister Korrina she’s the third in charge. They’re on our side.”
Kadie stayed walking behind Rya but she wasn’t as slow as she was before. Rya continued to walk forward. Both Hakon and Korrina stopped in front of Makoto and fell to one knee saluting him, “My Lord” they said in harmony both had deep voices but Korrina’s was a little higher.
“Hakon, Korrina,” Makoto said and bowed his head at them, “we are returning to the castle I want you two to stay around here and tell me when Shino leaves okay.”
“Yes, my Lord,” Hakon said and lowered his head again before both stood and walked towards the entrance of the temple.
Rya continued to lead Kadie down the steps of the temple to where four horses waited. All of them were dark three were a chestnut brown colour and one was the same colour as her hair. Black but in the sun it shines blue. Kadie stared in wonder as they got closer; she had never ridden a horse before. She had always wanted to but her parents thought it was a little too dangerous for her.
Rya watched her stare at the horses in wonderment and soon he started to smile, she just seemed so innocent how Gunnar had believed her to be impure he will never know.
Makoto stopped and turned to Rya and the girl, “Rya she’ll share your horse,” he said. Rya nodded and walked the girl over to the black horse.
“This one’s yours?” she asked in a quiet voice.
“Of course Hero is the fastest horse in the land, it’s only right that he go to the strongest warrior,” Makoto said from the top of one of the brown horses. Kadie looked at the horse, Hero and then back towards Rya. He was the best warrior, she thought, but he was so young.
“Hurry up,” Makoto said, “I don’t know how much longer Shino will be unconscious and when he wakes up it will be harder to get away. I don’t know how you keep forgetting I’m not the oldest son,” Makoto said to Rya.
Kadie looked between the two, did it matter who the oldest son was?
“You may not be the oldest but you are the wisest,” Rya called back.
Kadie felt two hands on her waist, a second before she was going to slap them away and complain she was off the ground.
“Swing your leg over,” Rya said holding her.
“What?” she said completely startled then she realised he was helping her get on to the horse. She swung her leg over and sat on the saddle. The horse began to move under her and she started to move left. Kadie had never ridden a horse before and all this movement was scaring her. She fell forward and wrapped her arms around the horse’s neck trying to hold on.
She heard laughter before she felt a body behind her. She slowly turned her head and saw that Rya had jumped up after her.
“Don’t worry you won’t fall,” he said and pulled her up away from the neck of the horse, “I won’t let you.”
“Let’s go,” Makoto said and his horse began to gallop away.
Kadie was leaning back against Rya’s chest when the horse began to move, it startled her so much that she hugged on to the horses neck again and with the sound of Rya’s laughter they began to follow Makoto.

Kadie didn’t watch the scenery as they followed Makoto she was too busy holding on for dear life. She felt Rya’s arms around her tense and pull back on the reigns and slowly she felt Hero begin to slow down until they eventually came to a standstill.
“Have you never ridden a horse before?” asked Rya from behind her.
Kadie was slowly raising her head up to look where they were, she felt her eyes widen as she looked around.
It was like a medieval castle but not as tall and wider. The walls were all made of stone and stood about 10 feet tall, towering over them all. There were about 5 windows that Kadie could see and they were 6 feet tall and 2 feet wide. The front door was 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide. There was absolutely no front garden it was all dirt and sand with the occasional rock. Kadie began to shake her head this isn’t possible, a place like this didn’t exist in Australia or hell maybe even on earth.
“I don’t think I’m in Kansas anymore,” Kadie whispered again.
Rya turned his head sideways to look at her, Kansas? He had never heard of the place.
“You two,” Makoto said standing outside the massive door way, “hurry up.”
Rya once again put his arm around Kadie’s back and began to lead her towards the building.
Kadie tried to take note of where they were walking, of the different turns they made but it was too confusing. The place was massive. It seemed bigger on the inside like a maze.
They were at the end of a corridor and Rya lead her through the door into a big room at one end there were two massive chairs, they looked like thrones. Makoto walked towards the smaller of the two and sat down. Rya released Kadie and walked towards Makoto until he stood just a little in front of him.
Kadie stood at the back of the room but then Rya turned towards her and jerked his head indicating for her to walk forward. Kadie didn’t want to move but slowly she took a step forward and slowly she came to a stop a little behind Rya.
“What’s your name?” Makoto asked leaning forward in his chair and resting his arm in his lap.
Kadie took a deep breath, “Kadie Hamilton,” she whispered.
Makoto nodded, “My name is Makoto,” he said sitting back in his chair with a thoughtful expression on his face.
“I am Rya.”
“Wait,” Makoto said and sat forward, “hasn’t she already met you?”
Rya nodded, “Yes but unfortunately I wasn’t able to learn her name. Nor she mine.”
“What you said to Gunnar is it true? Is she impure?”
“I highly doubt it but if she is then it wasn’t by me.”
“Are you impure?” Makoto said turning to her. Kadie didn’t even know what impure was.
“What?” she asked confused.
“Are you a virgin?”
Kadie was shocked why did he need to know that but he was looking at her so urgently she simply whispered, “yes.”
“Then why did you say you had been with Rya?”
“I had been,” she replied.
“What she means is,” Rya said interjecting, “I found her hiding from the guards, so she had been with me before getting taken.”
“Then how do you know of the mark?”
Rya briefly explained how he had found her hiding then how he helped her hide before she ran off to get captured.
“We were lucky to get her then,” Makoto said sitting back in his chair again, “but this isn’t good what if they learn of your lie.” Rya didn’t say anything and it didn’t look like Makoto needed an answer anyway. “Why did Shino take you?” he said looking at Kadie.
“Um…” she said thinking back to what had happened, “he said he would sacrifice me to the god of power and the goddess of war or something like that.”
“The God of War and the Goddess of Power,” Rya said shocked.
Kadie continued in a whisper, “He called me the Dragon Princess and said I would help him take over the empire.”
Makoto just stared at her before he stood up and walked over to her, “You have the necklace I can see that but you could have stolen it, Rya said you have the mark show me.”
“The mark…?” Kadie said not understanding.
“The dragon on your stomach,” Rya said from next to Makoto.
Kadie didn’t understand what was going on but she lifted her shirt and showed the dragon birthmark she had on her side.
“It’s true,” Makoto said and he reached out as if to touch it but pulled his hand back.
“I told you,” Rya said, “She is the Dragon Princess.”
“These clothes you wear,” Makoto said, “where are you from?”
“Perth,” she replied, “Where am I?”
“You are in the land of Twacee in the country of Heanon,” Rya replied.
“Perth?” Makoto said questioningly, “I have never heard of it. What country is it in?”
“Australia,” she replied, she had never heard of Twacee or of a country called Heanon, “Is this Earth?” she asked feeling ridiculous but thought it was better to ask.
“Earth…?” Makoto said, “What’s that?”
What, Kadie thought, they didn’t know what Earth was, “It’s a planet,” she said.
“No this planet is called Mythem,” Rya said, “Are you from Earth?”
Kadie nodded. This was too strange, how could she be on another planet? She had never even heard of Mythem. Maybe she had been under so much stress that she passed out and this is just a dream.
“This is too confusing,” she said to no one.
Makoto stood and walked to the far doors, “Summon the Moon Man and my brothers Dion and Caius.” He turned back to the room.
“Is that wise?” Rya asked.
“I don’t understand what is going on,” Makoto said walking back to his throne, “The Moon Man will have answers and if Shino is trying to take over the empire I will need Dion and Caius to stand with me.”
Rya nodded then looked at Kadie, “What shall we do with her?”
“What do you mean?” Makoto said also looking at Kadie.
“She isn’t presentable,” Rya said.
“You’re right,” he said and walked back to the door, “summon for me Laelia,” he said and walked back into the room. “Rya you stay with them, I don’t want her to be alone.”
“I understand sir,” Rya said and saluted him before he turned towards Kadie.

Kadie was sitting in the middle of a room surrounded by three women. The tallest of them who was about 6 foot tall was Laelia, the head handmaid in charge of looking after the female guests. Makoto had told her she was to attended to Kadie and make her presentable to his brothers. She had long blond hair down to her waist but it was intricately braided out of her face, she had bright blue eyes that shone in the light. Kadie thought she was beautiful. The other two handmaids were picked by Laelia as helpers and they were identical twins the oldest one was Drusilla and the younger one was Asta they were both small compared to Laelia. Both of them had chestnut brown hair cut short and styled around their ears and their eyes were the same colour as chocolate. Kadie felt like the odd one out surrounded by their beauty. Rya had followed the three girls but upon Kadie’s hysterical up roar he was made to wait outside the room. The only reassurance he had was that Laelia was trained with a knife and therefor able to protect Kadie. Makoto had told Laelia she was the Dragon Princess and now Laelia was treating her like royalty.
“Take off those clothes and get in the water,” Laelia said to Kadie standing up from the pool of water in the centre of the room, “Asta go and find some clothes for her to wear. As Makoto said she is the Dragon Princess so find clothes to suit her title.”
“There may not be a lot as there are no royal women living here,” Asta said.
“If that is the case, talk to the Lord and go to town to buy her some,” Laelia said, “She is the Dragon Princess, she needs to be presentable as one.” Asta nodded and bowed to her before she left.
“Princess will you please take off your clothes so we can help you bathe,” Drusilla said and walked towards Kadie.
“What?” Kadie said shocked, “Um… I can do it myself,” she said.
“But you don’t have to,” Laelia said approaching from the other side.
“But I want to,” Kadie replied backing up, she started shaking again.
“Drusilla,” Laelia said, “She has had a tough time today and she even got kidnapped by Gunnar. She is in a fragile state of mind, today we shall do as she requests. However I cannot leave you alone in this room as I am to protect you. So Princess, Drusilla and I will wait for you over here to help you dress afterwards.”
“It’s Kadie,” she said softly.
“What?” Drusilla said.
“My name is Kadie, not Princess,” she said a little louder.
“As you wish,” Laelia said, “Kadie,” she smiled.
Kadie quickly stripped off her clothes and got under the water; she bathed and washed all the dirt of her face and out of her hair. She had the quickest bath of her life because she was in some unknown place with people she didn’t know or trust. After being captured and told she was a sacrifice she doubted she would trust any of them that quickly.
She got out the bath on the furthest side and quickly wrapped a towel around herself. The towel was massive covering her from arm pits to her knees. As she walked around the edge of the bath she watched Laelia and Drusilla talking and moving cloth around. Astra was standing to one side. Astra had returned from town with a new outfit in tow.
“Lady Kadie,” Laelia said, “May we help you dress please?”
Kadie looked at the dress and nodded because she had no idea how to get it on. She stood in the middle of the floor while Laelia placed the dress over her head. Kadie hadn’t noticed but there were massive slits up the side. It was like cutting a hole in the middle of a sheet but the back of the sheet was longer and wider than the front. Laelia pulled at the sides until you couldn’t tell there were slits and Drusilla wrapped more material, this time gold, around her chest just under her bust. The dress looked fairly simple and Kadie liked it but when Laelia and the twins had tried to get her to put on jewellery and do elaborate things in her hair she had complained believing none of it suited her.
In the end they had to settle for brushing her hair straight and placing a head band in it but Kadie refused to wear any jewellery.
“You have beautiful hair,” Drusilla said to Kadie.
“I don’t think this is right,” Asta said.
“What do you mean?” Drusilla said in a harsh voice.
“I mean she is a Princess,” Asta said, “they were more gold they care more about their appearances.”
“We’ll run it by Rya,” Laelia said, “If he doesn’t like it, we’ll make her wear more.”
The three of them agreed and after a few minutes so did Kadie.
Astra went to call in Rya while Laelia and Drusilla kneeled down behind Kadie.
“What are you doing?” she asked confused.
“Shhh,” Laelia said and pointed forward. Kadie turned around to see Rya standing there with Asta by his side.
“She looks perfect,” Rya said smiling, “We must hurry the others have arrived. Laelia, Makoto wants you three there as well. He wants you to be her personal handmaidens while she is here.”
“Yes sir,” Laelia said, Rya walked forward and gripped Kadie’s elbow and lead her out of the room.

Rya took Kadie back into the same room they had been in before with Makoto, Laelia and the twins followed behind them. The room was the same but there were more people in there that Kadie didn’t know. In one corner of the room was some old man who was hunched over himself, he held a staff. He had white hair and a long beard tucked into the sting around his waist, he was wearing a white robe. Next to him was a young man with long blond hair and deep brown eyes, he was dressed in a white robe and was holding on to a staff as well but he was standing straight. Makoto stood to one side with two other men both looking like him but younger one was in purple and one was in blue.
“Those two are his brothers,” Rya whispered in Kadie’s ear, “the purple one is the third son Dion and the one in blue is the fourth son Caius. They will get the thrown after Makoto.”
“The throne….” Kadie whispered back.
“Makoto is the Emperors second son therefore he is second in line for the throne. Do they not have kingdoms where you’re from?”
“They do,” Kadie said thinking about the British monarchy.
“The old man over there,” Rya said and pointed at the old man, “he is the wisest man in the land and is the head monk he is known as the Moon Man. The young man next to him is Yasou, he is in training to take over from the Moon Man but if you ask me he is a better monk than the moon man.”
Kadie nodded taking in all this new information.
Makoto looked up and saw Rya and Kadie walk into the room. His brothers had been asking why they had been summoned; he had refused to answer until Rya was back.
When Makoto saw her he was surprised, she was barely wearing any jewellery and was wearing a simple white dress but still she looked royal. She looked like the Dragon Princess.
Makoto separated himself from his brothers and walked towards the middle of the room.
“My brothers I have called you hear today because Rya has found the Dragon Princess.”
With this his brothers began whispering to each other and talking aloud no one could understand what they were saying.
“Impossible,” Caius said.
“Where is she?” Dion cried.
“Rya,” Makoto said and Rya walked up to where Makoto was Kadie still on his arm. She was getting scared and nervous. Kadie didn’t normally like standing up in front of others and now she was standing up in front of others, in a strange new world.
“May I present the Dragon Princess,” Rya said and gently took Kadie’s hand and raised it up towards the ceiling.
Kadie took deep breaths and tried not to faint.