Shadows of Light - Part 1 - The Legacy Is Born | Teen Ink

Shadows of Light - Part 1 - The Legacy Is Born

By Paul_E._Petty BRONZE, Gilmer, Texas
Paul_E._Petty BRONZE, Gilmer, Texas

If you want something done, you have to do it yourself.

Author's note: This story is based on my real life experiences, but with a science fiction twist. I believe this will give teenagers an insight on the different things different kids can go through in high school.

CHAPTER 1

DEPARTURE

Even before Edgar received the dreadful news, he knew it was going to be a terrible day.

While still fast asleep, his little sister stepped carefully into the bedroom, trying her best to be real sneaky. She was a genius at that. And annoying her brother was the one thing that always made her day. She knew that he was probably having a dream about being a hero, like usual. He always wanted to prove himself. She knew that better than anybody.

Heather Freeman stepped crept closer to him, and studied his face once she was just inches away. Then, she smiled and lifted a silver bike horn, and squeezed the black end of it.

Edgar jolted awake with a jump, falling out of bed. His head hit the corner of the small, brown dresser that lay beside him. He growled, and leapt to his feet. Chasing his sister out of the room, he slammed the door shut, the vibration of the force causing a picture frame to fall off the wall. Great, he thought, as he bent down to pick up the frame, hoping that the glass in front wasn’t cracked. Luckily, it wasn’t. Smiling, he hung it back up on the nail on the wall. It was a picture of himself with a brown Jedi robe, green lightsaber in hand. It wasn’t even a real picture. Photo-shopped by his best friend Chloe Black, she imprinted his face in the picture for his fourteenth birthday. Edgar loved Star Wars more than most people, and one of his dreams was to be a Jedi. Or at least, a hero.

That would never happen, he knew. Edgar, a hero? He laughed at the idea.

Dismissing the thought, he began to walk back to his bed, disappointed. Already awake, he knew it would be pointless to fall back to sleep. He might as well get ready for school. “Impossible sister,” he snarled under his breath, heading to the closet for some clothes. Taking out a green t-shirt and a pair of blue jeans, and headed to the bathroom for a quick shower. After the shower, he put all his Axe products below the bathroom sink, shampoo, body wash, and the stick deodorant.

Looking into the foggy mirror as he combed his hair, he took in a powerful realization. He was now officially a freshman in high school. His knees began to wobble, but he wasn’t going to let nervousness overcome him. He had very few friends, but he had a feeling tugging at him from the inside that this would be his year. Somehow, he would build his popularity, and would never give up until he succeeded. Maybe even get a date with the homecoming queen while he was at it.

His stomach forced him away from those thoughts. He sniffed the air, recognizing the smell of bacon and eggs from the kitchen. He was really hungry, and for a skinny person who only weighed 120 pounds, he ate a lot. There seemed to be no way he could gain weight, even if he tried. Even when it came to working out, he would never gain muscle. Edgar would forever remain a toothpick.

Doomed to a bully like James McGuire. There is no escape for me in this world.

Unable to think clearly as the smell of breakfast consumed his soul, he left the room in a hurry. His mouth watered as he approached the kitchen. His mother, Mandy Freeman, stood in front of the stove, finishing up breakfast.

“Morning,” he said.

She must have been lost in concentration, because there was no reply. On the table nearby, there were two plates of breakfast, full with bacon and scrambled eggs. Shrugging his shoulders, he broke a slice of bacon in half and stuck it in his mouth.

“You are such a pig!” he heard a little girl’s voice shout from behind him.

“What?” he asked as he looked at her innocently, swallowing the other half. “What happened?”

Mandy turned around. “Is he sneaking bacon again, Heather?”

“Yes, mom.” Heather grinned at Edgar.

Little brat, he thought. Always sticking her nose into everything.

His mom chuckled silently behind them and said, “Okay, everything is ready now. Good thing, too. Especially since our brother can’t seem to resist.”

“Oh, come on...” he tried to say, but his mom ignored him. Heather didn’t forget he was there, though. She stepped on his foot as she went around the corner of the table to sit down. “Ow. I’m hungry.”

“Like always,” Heather said, as she helped herself to a strip of bacon and some eggs to her plate. Their mom turned off the stove and brought two more plates. One had sausage on it, while the other had three pancakes, one of each of them.

Edgar already had his plate halfway filled with eggs, with a few extra strips of bacon and sausage, and was chewing everything down fast. He stuck a pancake with his fork and put it on his plate, and within moments, it was all gone. “Thanks, mom. That was great.” He smiled at her, and she smiled back at him, the same way she always did, an expression of happiness and pain. Why she only smiled at him that way, he did not know. But it wasn’t like he cared.

“Fix your hair,” she said, as he left the table to go back to his room.

Whatever, he said in his head. He looked at himself in the mirror one last time. There was nothing wrong with his hair. It was a dark brown color, with no cowlicks anywhere. Always thinks something is wrong with my hair.

“Mothers,” he muttered.

He went to his bedroom one last time. After glancing at the time, he picked up his light-weight backpack, full of nothing but folders and spirals for school. He had no idea what he would really need. Junior high was different; he always needed stuff like rulers, protractors, and even stupid kiddy coloring pencils, which was one thing he was sure he wouldn’t need this year. Looking over his class schedule one more time, he saw that his first class was his worst subject ever. Science. Next after that, math, the one class he always had the high grades in above all.

“Eddie,” he heard a voice say.

He turned, and spied his sister standing in the doorway, her head tilted in. “What?” The tone in his voice was annoyed.

“Are you ready?”

“Yeah,” he answered, nodding his head, followed by a “duh”. “What do you think?”

“Mom says hurry up.” She left without another word.

Edgar rolled his eyes and followed her flowery scent out of the room. One thing that was unique about his sister was the different kinds of perfume she wore. And they weren’t something that were found in the most common stores, as they were homemade. She knew a lot about making stuff, and unlike Edgar, she loved science above all things.

“Can I drive?” he asked when he reached the living room.

His mom looked at him with a blank stare. Then she asked, “Got your permit?”

“Yes.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“Ugh, okay, okay!” He reached into his back pocket for his wallet and quickly flashed his learners’ permit.

“Keys are yours, then,” she said, placing the car keys into his hands.

Heather groaned as if she was just granted a death wish. “Does he really have to drive this time? He’s horrible!”

“Stop complaining,” their mom said.

Edgar laughed. “And just for the record, I’m not a bad driver!” he yelled.

“Are too!” She stuck her tongue out at him.

“No yelling in my house!” Their mother had raised both her hands, ready to slap both of them. “No arguments. Get in the car. Both of you!”

Thanks, brat.

* * *

Heather shrieked from the backseat as the car bumped down the road. “Whoa, there! Slow down, you’ll kill us all!”

Edgar turned sharply onto the school campus as he passed through the open gates. “Edgar, look out!” his mom shouted.

“Jeez, Louise, brother!” Heather looked behind her through the back windshield. “You almost hit that guy!”

“Oh, crap...”

Mandy laid her hand on his. “It’s fine. Just relax.”

As he slowly came to a stop in front of the cafeteria, he put the car in park and got out.

Very funny, little brat, he thought for the third time. I did not almost hit anybody. To be sure, he looked back near the gate he had just passed through. No one was there. At all. Edgar started to stick his tongue out at his sister, but his friends watching him from the sidewalk got the better of him, so he decided against it. He sighed as his sister skipped down the sidewalk and into the cafeteria. His mother stepped out from the other side of the blue Explorer, shaking her head.

“Don’t worry, you will get used to it in no time at all,” she simply stated. “This happens to all learning drivers.”

Edgar heard his friends laughing at what she just said. She pretended not to notice. Me, not a bad driver? Yeah! Tell that to the six stop signs and four red-lights I ran last week! Who am I kidding? I’m a terrible driver. “Thanks,” he said with a fake smile. She was too nice to be his mother, but still embarrassing at times. Like now.

“Go on,” she said, nodding her head towards the building. “You wouldn’t want to keep Nick and Zack waiting.”

And my buddy James! he added to his thoughts. He was just begging for a beating once he stepped through those doors! Edgar glanced at his friends, waiting for him. At least he had a little backup.

Edgar shook away all those thoughts and entered the building, followed by his two friends. They headed to the far corner of the cafeteria without a word, and sat down at the only round table. It was usually the only table they would sit at. Mostly because it gave them some distance away from everyone else.

“So...” Edgar searched for something to say. “What’s new?”

“Still tired.” Nick removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes. “And excited.” The two of them had known each other their entire lives, but sometimes they had their moments of arguments. Nick Whistler was an athletic looking guy with shaggy black hair and other dark features, with a height that made it easy to spot him in a crowd. He was one of the tallest in high school, about 6’2”, and he was only a freshman. He was a very slender guy even for his age. His hair shined like that of a waxed car, and seemed to reflect the dark attitude that lay deep inside him. But they were like brothers, even if Nick did lose his anger at times.

“Same for me...” Zack said. Unlike Nick, Zack was Edgar’s best friend above all. He was in a wheelchair, though, but he had a very strong heart. No one understood why they were such good friends.

Edgar cleared his throat before speaking. “Yeah, I know. Although I expected a different answer.” He glanced at Nick, who was still rubbing his eyes, and then at Zack. Edgar’s eyes drifted below the neckline of Zack’s blue sweatshirt and studied the chain around his neck. There was something about Zack’s necklace that Edgar had always found strangely familiar, even though no one was ever allowed to touch it. Zack never took it off and never let anyone so much as look at it closely.

“Why?” Zack asked. “Why do you always stare at this like that?”

Edgar shrugged. “No reason. I was just trying to get a closer look—”

Zack cut him off. “I have said no many times before. This is the only thing I have left from my father. Nobody comes near it.”

“I’m sorry,” Edgar raised his hands. “Really, I am. But I know what it’s like to not have a father. I don’t have one either.”

Zack scowled at him. “You never knew your father, though.”

“You’re right. Bad example.”

A snickering began near them. Edgar thought for a quick second that James was standing right there eavesdropping, but then saw that it was only Nick.

“Shut up,” they said together.

Nick continued laughing. “I don’t think I want to.”

Edgar yawned. “Have either of you—I mean—Zack, have you seen Chloe?”

“Nope.” An uncaring answer.

“Oh, yeah.” Nick struggled to stop laughing. “She’s in the library.” His words struck like a lightning bolt.

Figures. The one I don’t ask is the one who always knows. “Do you stalk her or something?” Edgar asked. “You always know where she is. Always.” He left the table before Nick could get a chance to reply.

* * *

Chloe was in the science fiction section of the library, with her nose buried in a book. Like always. The cover had a faded red color, and gold plated letters for the title. Edgar couldn’t make out what she was reading, and as he approached, she noticed him and placed the book back on the shelf. “Oh,” she said with a blank expression. “Hi.”

“Hey, there.”

Chloe Black was Edgar’s best ‘girl’ friend. In fact, she was the only one. Their relationship also fooled people. Some claimed that they were dating. Others rumors were that they were exchanging answers to tests. None of that were true, though. They hung out all the time, especially around a crowd.

“I haven’t seen you in almost a week. Everything okay?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “My mom just wouldn’t let me go anywhere the last week of summer break, or even talk to anyone on the phone.”

“Well, what would you have done if you were able to hang out?”

Edgar shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe taser Nick or something. Wanna help me hold him down?” he said, winking at her.

Chloe giggled under her breath, barely loud enough for him to hear. “You’re a loon. Let me see your schedule.”

“You want to see my class schedule? Why?”

“Just hand it over,” she ordered. He just stared at her, so she was forced to reach into his front pocket. Chloe pulled out a folded sheet of paper. She unfolded it, and after scanning it for a few seconds, she frowned. “History and science. That’s all we have together.”

“Bummer.” He tried to snatch the sheet of paper back. She yanked back, keeping it out of reach.

“Hold on,” she said. “It says here that you’ll be in P.E. with me. But I don’t see band anywhere on here.” She looked at him in question.

“I dropped band.”

Chloe slapped him on the arm with the sheet of paper. “Do you have any idea how furious Shane will be when he realizes that?” she questioned him.

He paused for a second, wondering if she’d interrupt him again, then said, “He’ll live. Besides,” he lifted his arms to stretch, “Shane is a better Alto Sax player than I am.”

“Oh, Eddie,” she faked a groan.

“Don’t call me that...” he almost growled.

Chloe crossed her arms and rolled his eyes. “You’ll get over it. Your friend is here.”

Edgar turned around. Shane was there, an urgent look on his face. “I need to talk to you.”

That hidden expression on his face...was it pain?

“Okay...what is it?” Edgar asked.

“Do I need to leave?” Chloe said, starting to back up.

Shane shook his head. “No, you’re fine, Chloe.” He sighed. “My mom and I are leaving the state.”

Edgar blinked. “Say what?”

Through Shane’s gritted teeth, Edgar could tell he wasn’t lying, and that he was having a hard time telling what was going on. “My mom, she... Her job is transferring her to some city in California. A little out of nowhere town.”

“I can’t believe this...” Edgar said, panting. “When are you going?”

Shane stared at him regrettably for a moment that seemed to last forever. “I’m—ugh—today. Right now. We’re already packed and everything, and also...my mom is just outside waiting for me.”

“Couldn’t she have at least waited until after school? Until this weekend?”

“Yeah, I know. But it was a last minute call from her company. They’re paying for the plane ticket and everything.” Shane’s eyes appeared moist, and without further question, he hugged Edgar. “Take care, buddy.”

Edgar sighed, nodding. “Will I ever see you again?”

Shane let go of him and shook his head. “That’s very unlikely. I don’t think so.” They stared into each other’s eyes, and then Shane turned and walked away.

Chloe took Edgar’s hand and held it tight, and laid her head on his right shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

Edgar watched as his friend left, accepting the fact that he might never see him again. Even if he made new friends, no one could ever replace Shane. He was the one of a kind friend that would always be in his memories, no matter how good things became later in the future.

* * *

At last, to add on to Edgar’s misery from the news of Shane’s departure, it was time to enter the torture chamber. It was the last place Edgar ever wanted to be, and the realm of the devil himself.

Science class.

It pained him to hear the bell ring, signaling 8:00. Even though Chloe sat in the desk to the left of him, he wasn’t in a good kind of mood. He had just lost a friend dear to him, and now this day was going to turn out to be worse than he’d thought.

He was expecting it.

Give it a chance, Edgar. You know nothing about what the future holds.

His conscience was even beginning to bug him.

Barely a moment after the bell had rung, the science teacher strolled into the room, slamming the door behind him. Mr. Gipson, a proud, tall, slender guy with shiny black hair. This guy had an attitude that wasn’t to be messed with. If Edgar had to choose between him and the world’s bulkiest bull, he’d rather take the bull. “Freshman...” he growled, shaking his head. “It is rather unpleasant for me to see you here this morning, although it would be unfortunate for you if any of you are late for my class. Unlike other teachers, I do not accept tardies. No excuses. Never be late. Never.” The way he emphasized the word made him sound creepy and insane. “Also, if you ever backtalk me, I’ll have you writing lines for me, just like the bunch of you did back in Junior High, for those who had me for eighth grade science. If you want to act like a bunch of kids, fine. But I won’t tolerate any nonsense from any of you.

“And if you come to class without having done your homework, that’s an immediate detention. Immediate detention. And do not even dare to try and finish up in here before class starts.”

Edgar rolled his eyes and laid his chin on the desk, arms folded under him. He knew the drill. He would talk the majority of the period, adding insane rules and such. Plus, the man’s voice really tired him down. Teachers like this one made Edgar fall asleep, and being early in the morning, it was not difficult. He yawned a little bit too loud.

“And no sleeping in my class!” Mr. Gipson shouted, causing Edgar to jump up. But oddly enough, the sound of the teacher’s voice was directed to the other side of the room. Little Tommy sat there rubbing his bloodshot eyes.

Looks like someone stayed up playing video games all night again, Edgar thought. The rest of the class laughed silently.

“Sorry,” was all Tommy said, as Mr. Gipson’s scold scared him out of his mind. The boy never so much as did his homework.

“You’re Tommy, yes? Speak!”

“Yes…”

“Hmm,” the teacher said. “I’ve heard a lot about you from the other teachers. You’re great at this subject, are you not?”

Tommy looked confused. Instead of looking around, he nodded. “Well, yes, I am—”

“But lazy.” Mr. Gipson smiled at the boy’s reaction of fear. “Yes, I know. But let me assure you, by the end of this semester, I will have you spitting up homework at every deadline. No late work. Got it?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Understood, class?” he questioned everyone else.

Everyone answered him, and then the room was silent. “Now, I have no assignments for you today. But tomorrow...I am going to have you to do all the section assessments for Chapter 1, and study all the key terms. I have a test prepared for you on Wednesday.”

The class groaned, but he ignored it. With a wave of his hand, he dismissed the class. But of course, they couldn’t leave the room until the bell rang.

After Mr. Gipson went to his desk, everyone started chatting with their friends. Chloe laid her hand on Edgar’s shoulder. “Everything okay?”

He starred at her. “Huh? Oh. Um, yeah. I think.”

“You’re miserable.”

Edgar nodded at her answer. “Yes, I am.” Sarcasm was trying to play out.

“Don’t worry. This day will be over before you can say home,” she assured him.

“Home.”

* * *

Back at the round table, it was now lunchtime. It was the only place in the lunchroom that Edgar and his friends sat at. It was headquarters to them. A place of solitude.

After pacing through the lines for their trays, Chloe, Edgar, Nick and Zack met up. “Have you guys seen Cody?” Edgar asked without looking up from his pizza.

“No,” Nick replied, stuffing his face. Pig.

“He went on vacation, didn’t he?” Zack asked. “Maybe his family misread the school calendar and they think school starts next Monday.”

Edgar shrugged. “Makes sense. But I don’t see how Cody would make a mistake like that.” He finished his slice of pepperoni pizza, and picked at his green peas. “This crap is nasty.”

“Did you expect anything less?” Nick remarked. “It’s school food. It’s supposed to be—”

“Sick,” Zack finished. “This stuff makes my stomach want to turn.”

Chloe groaned. “Gross. Enough talk of this.” She pushed back her tray with her fingertips. “I’m not hungry anymore.”

“Oh.” Nick flicked his wrist towards Chloe. “Are you going to—”

She shook her head. “Help yourself.”

Nick snatched her slice of pizza and gobbled it down. “Most of this food is crap, in fact, all of it is. But you can’t deny something like pizza. You guys are crazy.”

“You’re crazy,” Zack began, “eating that nasty crap.”

“Wuss.”

“Quiet,” Edgar said, raising his voice a bit.

When Nick had inhaled the second slice, he said, “So, word has it that Shane moved. Is it true?”

Edgar nodded.

“Great. Now we don’t have any senior friends. We’re just a pack of lonely freshmen.”

“Cody’s a junior.”

“Yeah! And so is James. They’re both pathetic—”

Edgar’s face began to turn furious. “Don’t talk about Cody like that! He’s a good guy.”

Nick lifted his hands in defense. “I don’t like him.”

“Yeah?” Edgar scowled. “Well, get over it. Wuss.”

Their conversation was not going the way Edgar wanted it to, but it was always the same thing. Words that began with a bunch of complaining, ending with snapping jaws at each other.

Hours later, Edgar was glad to be home.

CHAPTER 2

FIRST GLANCE

Even after a good night’s rest, Edgar was not looking forward to the oncoming day. He knew for a fact that it’d be worse than the day before. After all, he had just lost a friend forever.

Maybe Shane will send me an invitation to his graduation, he thought. Even if he was moving halfway across the country, they could still stay in touch. Couldn’t they?

I have no cell phone, Edgar thought in distaste. “Time for school.” He quickly got dressed and left his room. He entered the kitchen to find a gray box on the counter, outlined with brown colors, wrapped just like a Christmas present. On the side was a tag. He turned the box over and saw his name printed on it. Seeing the words, he found no reason not to open it.

“Nuh uh!” a voice cried behind him, just as his fingers felt the ends of the wraps.

Edgar turned to look into the eyes of his mom. “What?”

“Not yet!” she yelled, taking the box as she headed out with it, probably to hide it. She knew how sneaky Edgar could be.

She came back fairly quick. “What is it?” he asked.

“It’s a surprise,” she stated. “For your birthday.”

“Oh.”

Mandy studied him. “Are you ready for school?”

He gestured to himself. White t-shirt and blue jeans, he clearly looked ready. “Duh. But where’s breakfast?”

“I didn’t cook this morning.”

“Why?”

“Because Heather’s not here, that’s why. Now get in the car!”

That’s right, Edgar thought. Heather had met a new girl at school the day before, and she had been invited to spend the night. And Heather accepted.

“Yeah,” he said. “I just forgot. I don’t see why, because it’s really quiet.” And that was the truth.

His mom smiled. “Sure.” She yawned and then threw him the keys. “You’re driving.”

* * *

Edgar swerved roughly around the curves on the way to the school, and nearly ran one stop sign. But when they arrived onto the school campus, he managed to roll the car to a smooth stop. He was still not happy with his own results, but pleased that he had not embarrassed himself again. Edgar’s friends did not see him arrive the way he had, which was a downside in his view.

“I’m very impressed,” Mandy said.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said to her, climbing out of the car. He spotted a blond boy approaching him with half a smile on his face. The way he squinted his eyes was easily recognized with the sun shining in his face, as his green eyes faintly glowed. “Cody?” he asked.

“Yeah...” Cody awkwardly replied. “Who else would it be?”

Cody crossed his arms as a shadow fell over him. They looked up to see that a huge cloud had passed over the sun. “Looks like rain.”

“I hope not,” Edgar said.

“Good morning, Mrs. Freeman,” he said as he waved his hand.

Edgar had forgotten that his mom was still standing right there.

“How many times do I have to tell you?” she said. “Just call me Mandy.”

Cody nodded faintly. “I apologize, but it’s a habit.”

“Yes, I know,” she said. “But you were raised by outstanding parents who taught you very well indeed. At least you have good manners, unlike most young boys your age.”

Edgar broke the conversation with a loud sneeze.

“Bless you,” Cody said. Obvious.

Mandy looked around and said, “Goodness, I’m about to be blocking the parking lot.” There were a few cars just now starting to pull up behind them, and she had to move her car before a traffic jam began. Cody waved goodbye to her before she got in the car and left.

“Let’s go,” Edgar said to him.

After standing outside for several minutes in silence, Cody finally spoke up. “So, do I have any classes with you?”

“I don’t know,” Edgar shrugged. “You weren’t even here yesterday.”

“Yeah,” Cody began, “my family and I got back from Florida a little late because there was a slight delay with the plane. We were supposed to be back in time for the first day back here.”

“Didn’t you quit Athletics?” Edgar asked. Cody nodded. “Okay, so you’ll be in P.E. with me and Nick. Along with Chloe,” he added.

He nodded. “And you quit band.”

“Oh.” Edgar scratched his neck, trying to hide his embarrassment. “Heard about that, did you?”

Cody nodded once again. “I heard about many things, such as Shane moving. That really sucks. But you know what this means?”

Edgar shook his head. He had no idea.

“It means,” he began, “that I am no longer second chair, and I should be section leader for the saxophones. And I’m not even a senior yet!”

“Good for you,” was all Edgar said, as he noticed two people walking by them. One of them was a tall, dark skinned boy with a black goatee spreading below his chin. Perhaps he was a mix of two different races, or maybe just a really tan Caucasian that had too much sun.

The other boy was short and bony. The top of his head probably came up to Edgar’s chest, and he had an odd look in his eyes as if he were about to attack someone. His head also appeared to be a little too big for his shoulders to hold, and his hair was a faded black.

The moment he spotted Edgar, he gasped in pain, lifting his hands up to his head. The guy he was with put a hand on his shoulder, as if asking if he was all right. He only pointed at Edgar, and whispered something to the taller boy. They turned and left, leaving Edgar with a confused expression on his face.

“Okay...” Cody started, “who were those weirdoes? That guy freaked out at the sight of you. You’re not really that ugly, are you?”

“Shut it,” Edgar grumbled. “But you’re right. That was insane.”

And so this was something that he could not seem to take his mind off of, even as he left Cody and entered the cafeteria alone. When he approached the round table, he saw Nick sitting there running his mouth. He must be pretty talkative today, Edgar thought. That’s not good.

Then he noticed that Zack was not present; but instead, there were two others.

Edgar cautiously walked closer, with his suspicions about him. Sure enough, they were the same two strangers whom he had seen walking by earlier, and Nick was talking to them like they were best friends. Edgar began to back away, but then Nick spotted him and waved for him to sit down with them.

“Edgar! Come over here!” he called.

Crud.

The small sized boy that was sitting there glanced at Edgar and groaned, clenching his jaw and fists, eyes wide. Just for the heck of it, Edgar stared right back at him with wide eyes, trying to tease him. What an idiot, he thought. I wish he would stop staring at me, the creeper!

“Okay,” Nick said, once Edgar sat down beside him. “This is Mark Jules.” He was gesturing to the tall guy. “And this is his friend Drake Arkana,” he waved his hand towards the other guy, who was starting to do more than creep Edgar out.

Mark bit his lip and then held his hand out across the table. “Pleasure to meet you, Edgar,” he said.

“Um.” Edgar did not know what to say, but he held out his hand and shook it, as to not offend the guy.

Mark had a very firm grip like a man, and when he finally released, Edgar’s hand was throbbing. “We were just talking about you,” he said.

Edgar raised his eyebrows and turned to Nick. “Talking about me? Why?”

“No reason,” Nick intervened, but Mark paid him no mind.

“You two are good friends, eh?”

Edgar faced Mark and nodded. “Yeah, so?”

“Interesting—”

“Wait a minute,” Edgar cut him off, though he knew it was rude. “Do you two know each other or something?”

“No,” Mark said, “but your friend here has been very gracious to introducing us to the school and all. We’ve just moved out here,” he gestured to himself, and then Drake, whom was strangely quiet. In fact, Drake’s eyes were bloodshot red, tearing up.

Drake’s silence bothered Edgar the most. He had said absolutely nothing the entire time, not even introducing himself. And he kept looking at Edgar in the weirdest way ever, like in pain.

“I’m sorry,” Edgar said, “but I need to go.”

“But it’s still early,” Nick said. “Plenty of time before we have to go to class. About fifteen minutes left to be exact.”

“Yeah,” he said, “but I think I’m just gonna go look for Chloe.” He began to stand up.

“Look for who?” a voice said.

To Edgar’s unfortunate surprise, it was Chloe. Now there’d be no excuse to leave these weirdoes.

Chloe gave him a silent hug and sat down between him and Nick. “Good morning,” she said, and then she noticed Mark and Drake. “And who might you be?”

“Nobody,” Edgar muttered, as Nick introduced them. Chloe slapped Edgar on the arm and told him to be nice. He only rolled his eyes.

After Chloe greeted them, she pulled Edgar by the arm and told him to come with her. “Bye,” she said to them, as the two of them walked off.

Edgar swore he heard Drake let out a giant breath of air as they walked away.

Chloe led him to an empty table and they sat down. “What is up with those guys?”

“What do you mean? I thought you liked them.”

“Well, I couldn’t help but notice you were bothered by them, and that one dude wouldn’t stop staring at you, and he was strangely quiet.”

Edgar shrugged his shoulders. “How should I know? I was so ready to leave but you showed up.”

“I know,” she said. “But you don’t have to be rude in front of them. I mean, you might piss them off or something. Especially Drake. He looks like he might be a psycho.”

“I doubt it. Besides, the only one I can piss off around here is James. In fact, I don’t even have to do anything. Speaking of which, I haven’t seen him around. What’s up with that?”

Chloe laughed and rolled her eyes. “You didn’t hear?”

He shook his head. “What are you even talking about?”

She smiled and said, “James has been suspended.”

“You mean...he’s gone?” Edgar said with wide eyes. “I don’t have to deal with him anymore?”

“No, he’s just not here for this week only.”

“Oh. Well, what happened?” Edgar was growing more curious by the minute.

“Well,” Chloe began, not really knowing where to start, “he got caught making out with Michelle Adams in the locker room before football practice sometime last week. He’s suspended until the first week of school is past, and Michelle was expelled for being in the boys’ locker room.”

Edgar was at a loss for words, but not surprised that James would be caught doing something like that. He found the story quite interesting and began to smile a little, temporarily forgetting all about Mark and Drake.

Chloe looked at him as if expecting him to say something. “Anybody home?” she said to him, bringing him into reality.

“No,” he shook his head. “Please leave a message after the beep.”

She laughed. “You’re goofy.” She noticed Goosebumps on his arms. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” he said, rubbing his arms. He began to feel chills throughout his body, and he had no idea why. “It’s cold,” he said.

She looked at him, confused. “But you never get cold, even in the winter.”

“Yeah? Well, I am now,” he said, nodding. “Freezing, actually.”

Chloe took her hands and rubbed his arms. “Better?”

Edgar blushed and pulled his arms away. “Stop, you’re embarrassing me.”

He smiled and stared into her eyes, wondering where their relationship really was. She was his best friend that was a girl. Really his only friend that was a girl. He had asked her out a few times, but she only saw him as a friend. But why there couldn’t be more between them, Edgar never understood. He couldn’t blame her, though. He often wondered what she saw in him at all, even as a friend. She was the only girl that showed no disgust to Edgar.

“Are you okay?” she asked him. “You look a little dizzy.”

Edgar nodded slightly, and listened to the bell ring. “Yep. Everything’s cool.”

* * *

Everything was the opposite of cool by the time lunch arrived. After Edgar had gone through the line with his tray, he noticed Mark and Drake sitting over there at their table. His table.

Eager to avoid detection, he quickly headed across the tables, just a few rows down. After setting his tray down, he stared at his pepperoni pizza with loss of appetite. This was going to ruin his day.

Pushing his tray away, he spotted Nick and Chloe heading to the table. But not to where Edgar was sitting; but with Mark and Drake. He rolled his right hand into a fist. The new kids, trying to steal his friends. Edgar shook his head in denial.

I’m gonna have to do something about this.

* * *

About an hour later, Edgar ran into Mark in the hallway. It surprised him, and he hadn’t seen Mark anywhere other than the cafeteria.

“Edgar,” he said. “Everything going good?”

He looked around the hall awkwardly. There was no one else around. “Yes, why?”

Mark held his arms up. “Just wondering. Trying to make polite conversation. And I hear you have a science quiz tomorrow.”

“Yes,” Edgar confirmed. “I do. What’s it to you? I hate science, and Mr. Gipson is just pure evil.”

“Ha,” Mark laughed. “I doubt you know the true meaning of evil.” Mark looked around him as if making sure no one was listening, but there were only them. He leaned in close to Edgar and whispered, “It would be best if you prepared yourself if you haven’t already. Anything could happen.”

Edgar pulled back his head and stared blankly at him. “Like what?”

“Ah,” he said, taking a step back to give Edgar the extra space. “Nothing. I have to go. And good luck on your test tomorrow. Quiz, I mean.” And then he was gone.

Edgar stood there in silence, his head spinning and his thoughts clouded. He had already marked Mark and Drake down as strange and unequal. But not like this. Perhaps there was something more to them than meets the eye. And maybe there was a chance he could actually get along with Mark. He had only met him that morning, and he was being unusually nice. Sympathetic, even.

He must have been standing there lost in his thoughts for a long time, because he heard the tardy bell ring. He cursed, and took off in a hurry. It was only the second day of school, and he was about to receive his first tardy.

Being in too much of a hurry, he smacked into a girl.

“Hey, watch it!” she exclaimed. She was a tan, blonde girl with a preppy attitude.

“Sorry, Avery!” he said to her.

She scowled at him. “Right. Listen, have you seen Cody?”

“Why does it matter? I thought y’all broke up.”

“Don’t get smart with me you little wimp,” she said. “And yes, we did, but you see—we’re back together now. Anyways, just tell him to meet me at my house by four. Now be gone.”

She strolled off like a boss, leaving Edgar hanging there. He remembered how much of a hurry he was in and quickly rushed outside, and cut through the grass.

The science teacher for the seniors happened to be walking around the corner at that precise moment. “Get off the grass!” Mrs. Murphy shrieked. “What’s the matter with you?”

“I’m sorry,” he stuttered, “I’m just in a hurry.”

“Just get to class!” she exclaimed, causing him to take off running to the gym like a torpedo. “And don’t let me catch you on the grass again young man!”

Whatever. Who cares about the stupid grass? It’s just grass!

He had had enough of today, and could not wait for this last class to be over with. And he was late. Being late for gym class was not good when you had strict coaches.

Please, please, please, can’t I just get a break?

* * *

“Edgar, what’s wrong?” Chloe kept asking him.

P.E. had just started, and it was the last class of the day.

“You know what.”

Chloe grabbed him by the shirt and pushed him gently against the wall. “Actually, no, I don’t.”

“Ever since Mark and Drake arrived, all of you have been ignoring me. Like at lunch, for instance.”

“And exactly where were you during lunch? Nick and I couldn’t find you anywhere.”

Edgar rolled his eyes. “Oh, I get it. Y’all just didn’t see me. Or maybe you two did not look hard enough.”

“Oh, stuff it with the attitude,” Chloe snapped. “I’m tired of hearing it, and it bothers me.”

Edgar sighed and crossed his arms. Then, he said, “I’m sorry. I guess I’m just little angry.”

“A little?”

“Okay, a lot.”

“I haven’t ignoring you,” Zack said. “I sat with you during lunch.”

“Yeah, I know,” Edgar sighed. “Just...” He shook his head. “No, just forget it.”

Edgar headed to the bleachers in the gym. Chloe walked towards the opposite side, over where the girls were. She began talking to her friend Brittany. Like Edgar, Chloe didn’t have very many friends either. But enough to get by. Edgar was relieved to hear that the gym teacher was late. It was a very fortunate surprise for him.

As he approached where Cody was, he relayed Avery’s message to him. “Sorry I’m late,” Edgar added. “I ran into Mark in the hallway and he wouldn’t stop talking to me, and I didn’t understand a word he said.”

“Mark?” Cody said, glancing at Nick in question. “Who’s Mark?”

“No one of your concern,” Nick harshly said, and then he looked at Edgar. “And don’t worry about it, Edgar. Mark just likes to...speak his mind.”

The gym doors slammed a moment later. Then, a tall, middle-aged man appeared, walking to the center of the gym floor with a clipboard, pen in hand. It wasn’t the coach.

“I heard we had a sub,” Nick commented. “I guess my resources were correct.”

The sub announced that the class didn’t have to do anything for the day, so everyone was allowed to chat with their friends. This would have been a break for Edgar, but both Cody and Nick were present, and they simply hated each other. Arguments almost always emerged whenever they exchanged conversation.

Cory Shortly and Daniel Tutt immediately headed out of the bleachers. They were both good friends of James, but he was more like a leader to them. And James was currently suspended.

“Look at these two idiots,” Nick gestured to them. They had just began to wrestle, and Nick somehow found it amusing. Cory was almost as tall as Nick, with pale skin, and Daniel was average size, covered with freckles and black hair on his head.

Edgar scowled at him, and then he turned to Zack, who was parked at the bottom of the bleachers, just before the first steps. “I still can’t believe Shane had to move half a country away.”

“Sooner or later,” Zack said, “you’ll finally move on. And it won’t bother you anymore. It’ll all be nothing but memories.” He paused for a moment to access his thoughts carefully. “I’m not saying it will be easy, but I know you’re strong enough to get through this.”

“I wonder if I’ll get a graduation invitation, at least.”

“That’s right,” Zack said. “He’s a senior this year, right? I almost forgot.” He laughed. “Silly me.”

“Yep.”

The substitute’s whistle sounded. “Break it up, you two!”

They looked over to see what was going on. By the looks of it, Cory and Daniel had taken their wrestling to a whole new level. They were the bodyguards of James himself, but like always, whenever he was not around, they always got rowdy and into a fight.

“Drop down and give me fifty!” the sub yelled. He had Cory and Daniel over at the side lines of the gym floor doing pushups, and forced them to face each other.

“Well,” Nick said, glancing down at his watch, “this is interesting.”

“What is?” Edgar asked him.

He shook his head. “My watch has stopped working. Again.” He frowned and kept shaking his head in disappointment. “I’ll have to buy a new battery for it, or a new watch. Oh, what are you doing for your birthday, Edgar? It’s this Friday, and you haven’t even told us what we’re doing yet.”

Edgar shrugged. “No idea. Probably nothing.”

“Come on!” Zack shouted in disbelief. “You only turn fifteen once!”

“He’s right,” a new voice said. It was Mark, and Drake was just behind him. “Sub said he’s dismissing us early.”

Edgar looked confused. “He did? And you’re in P.E. with us?”

Mark shrugged. “More or less, yes. We’ve just been talking about some things,” he looked behind him at Drake.

“You’re not from around here, are you?” Cody asked Drake.

Drake looked at him, but said nothing, which was no surprise to Edgar. There was definitely something unusual about the guy. And the way his eyes were always watering...

“No, we’re not,” Mark answered. “We are from Greenland. The culture is very different there, and so are the people. This place,” he gestured with his hand, “is so very different from where we are from. I apologize for any...” he looked at Edgar, “weirdness.”

He must have caught wind of the things I thought about them and rehearsed his words carefully. Either way, they’re still creeps.

Mark looked him down from head to toe. “Why aren’t you celebrating your birthday? Your father should be very...proud that his young man is finally turning of age.”

Edgar raised an eyebrow. “I never knew my father. And what do you mean, ‘of age?’ I’m not even eighteen yet.”

“That is the age for becoming a man, here?” Mark asked them, and they all nodded. “That’s odd. Perhaps—oh, it’s so silly of me, but it will take some time for me to fit in here.” And then he walked off, Drake trailing behind him.

Cody shook his head. “That guy is weird. And I doubt he will fit in here.”

“Agreed,” Nick said, “But he appeared lost this morning, and he seemed cool. Maybe I made a mistake.”

Chloe came up to them from the opposite side of the gym and shook her head. “He may be weird, but he’s very sweet. There should be more guys like that,” she finished, looking at Edgar as she said that.

“What—”

“Just give them a chance.” Chloe smiled, and held out her hand. “Come on.”

Edgar took her hand and the others followed them out the gym. They got slammed in the face by the sun’s piercing rays. “Gosh, that’s bright,” Edgar complained, sidestepping into the shadows. A blue Explorer came into view. Edgar’s mom was parked directly in front of the gym to pick him up, his sister already in the back seat. When Heather saw him, she stuck her tongue out at him. Doesn’t ever get old to her, does it?

“Don’t forget,” Chloe said, whispering in his ear, “study for the test tonight.”

“It’s a quiz,” he groaned, “not a test.”

She must have not heard him, because she strolled off towards the high school, the rest of his friends following alongside her. Except for Nick. He was just staring at the car, lost in space. “Need a ride?” Edgar offered.

Nick snapped out of it the moment the question was asked, and looked at Edgar in fear, his eyes widening. “Uh, no. I—Actually, I think I’m gonna walk home.” He took off like a torpedo, running past the rest of their friends and down the sidewalk cutting across the grass. Almost immediately, Mrs. Murphy appeared out of nowhere.

“Get—off—the—grass!” she shrieked. Edgar laughed from afar, and climbed into the car, cranking the engine.

He was about ready to pull the car in gear, but hesitated. A question was tugging at his mind. “Mom, have you ever had a friend who moved away from the school you went to and then you never heard from him again? Or her?”

She sighed. “Yes, Eddie. I have. I had a best friend named Susan, and we did everything together.” She paused for a few seconds, and then added, “we were the best friends. But then something went wrong in her family and she was forced to drop out, and then she and her family left for...” she trailed off, eyes rolling into her head. “Pennsylvania, I believe. I’m not sure,” she shrugged her shoulders. “It’s been too long.”

“And that was the last you saw of her?”

The look his mom gave him answered his question. She never saw her friend again, so maybe Edgar would not see Shane again either. He only wished he could get over the pain he felt inside.

Edgar bit his lip, as he suddenly pulled the car in gear and drove off in silence the whole way home. Could it really come to that? Never seeing his friend again? And would he be able to hold himself together? So many questions filled his mind; his mom shouted and he slammed on the brakes. He had almost ran another stop sign, and did not even realize it.

Okay, he told himself, taking deep breaths. Concentrate on the road. Keep your mind clear, Edgar. Or become everyone’s worst nightmare on the highway. You can do this.

He heard his sister mutter “moron” from the backseat.

“Brat,” he called back.

Their mom sat up in her seat. “Both of you, just shut it!”

They zipped their lips, and Edgar was glad Nick had rejected the ride. He would have been so embarrassed.
* * *

Edgar was home in no time, and he had gone straight to bed. He was very exhausted, and even felt fatigue. His stomach turned, but before he could even think about throwing up his lunch, he passed out on his bed.

He imagined being in a wide, open field, walking alongside his friends. He imagined them looking at him as if he were some kind of leader. Nick, Cody, Zack, Chloe, and a few others he didn’t recognize looked upon him with fear, but as if struggling to be brave for Edgar. There were also looks of sorrow on their faces as they looked upon him. Edgar turned away from them, looking straight ahead. Before him were figures of people shrouded in black cloaks, their faces hidden in the depths of their hoods. About eight of them, he counted. In the lead, was a short boy. The boy lifted his cloak, revealing his true face.

It was the new kid in town, Drake, and he nodded at Edgar. Just nodding, as if expecting something; expecting him to go on, to be strong. Or waiting for Edgar to attack. He didn’t know. But soon, Drake put his hands together and an evil laughter rung in the air, forcing Edgar onto his knees.

Edgar strained at the sound of the laugh, and opened his eyes. But he was back in his bedroom.

So it was only a dream, Edgar quickly realized. So strange...

He suddenly had a strange feeling. Edgar rubbed his eyes, feeling refreshed, and looked around his room. It was dark out and only eleven o’clock at night. He turned on the light, and he saw a shadow of a person before him.

He quickly spun on his feet in fear, and even though there was no one there, he spotted movement. Edgar ran to the glass of his window and pressed his face against it to see someone running away to the trees. He thought back to his dream, and had a feeling that it held some kind of meaning.

If Edgar’s conclusions were correct, Drake was a boy of pure evil, shrouded in mystery. He had never felt so right about anything before, but the only way he could do anything about it was to first convince his friends, starting with the one who showed first kindness to them.

Nick is so in for it now.

Paul_E._Petty BRONZE, Gilmer, Texas

Hey, there. I've actually stopped using this site because I'm technically not a "teen" anymore. But thank you so much! The book can be found on Amazon & Goodreads.com Just search: Shadows of Light The Legacy Is Born. Also, book 2 of the series just released a month ago, and it's Shadows of Light A Search In Time. I hope you check it out, and thank you!

KylieK GOLD said...
KylieK GOLD, Mt. Washington, Kentucky

"To love is to surpass one's self."

I actually really love this. I'm super attached to the characters and can't wait to read more! It stuck in my head all day long.   Where can I get the book?