For the Love of a Demigod | Teen Ink

For the Love of a Demigod

June 23, 2012
By 2014Nation GOLD, Alma, Georgia
More by this author
2014Nation GOLD, Alma, Georgia
10 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never in the world does hatred cease by hatred; hatred ceases by love. - Buddha


Author's note: I wanted to write a love story but I didn't want it to be about a vampire and a human, a werewolf and a human or a angel and a human. So I choose a Demigod.

“Kita!”
I jumped at the sound of my name. I turned to see Samantha rushing towards me.
“Kita wait up!” She yelled from down the school hallway.
“You didn’t hear me calling you outside in the parking lot?”
“Sorry Sam.” I smiled at her. ”My mind was somewhere else.”
“Well then, what were you thinking about?” Sam entwined her arm with mine and led me down the hallway.
“Nothing really mostly about how I can’t believe we’re finally seniors and how this is our last year in this dump.”
“Oh don’t pretend you won’t miss this place.”
“Not as much as I’ll miss you Mikey.”
“Oh I’ll miss you too Sully.” Sam squeezed my arm.
Sam and I have used those nicknames since first grade. Sam felt it would be bad for our image if we went around calling each other Mikey and Sully through out high school so we don’t use them in public. Sam and I have been best friends since pre-k and our favorite movie to watch together was Monsters Inc.
“We better get to first block unless we want to be late on our first day of senior hood.” Sam said. “That would be awful for your prefect attendance and no tardy record.”
I could hear the sarcasm in Sam’s voice. I knew that Sam could care less if we were late but because I was her best friend, Sam was on time right with me. We made our way into the class room and sat in our seats just as the tardy bell started to ring.
“Okay people time to start.” Mrs. Havens said as she walked in.
Mrs. Havens is one of those teachers who think they are cool but they are really making a fool of themselves. Every one likes her but she still tries to hard to be her definition of”cool” I mean Mrs. Havens, you’re fifty-two years old. You should stop while you’re ahead.
“I know it’s the first day of your senior year,” Mrs. Havens continued “And you guys have been together since ninth grade, some longer, but I have a surprise.”
Mrs. Havens went to the door and motioned for someone to come in.
”This is Rider Smith.” “He is going to be a new addition to your graduating class.” “I hope you guys welcome him with open arms.” “Nakita Slivers raise your hand.” “Rider you may go sit in front of Nakita.”
I smiled at Rider as he made his way to the seat in front of me.
“He’s hot.” Sam was leaning forward in her desk whispering in my ear. “Want to switch seats?”
I looked at Rider again. He had short curly black hair and his eyes were a deep shade of blue. Like the heart necklace from Titanic. Rider was muscular but not body builder muscular. Sam was wrong. This person was not hot. He was a heaven made, god blessed, sent down to earth, complete MIRCALE!
“You’re drooling Kita.” Sam said from behind me.
I turned around to face her. “Shut up or I’ll call you Mikey in front of this whole class.”
“People will just think you’re weird.” Sam smiled and leaned back in her desk.
“Hey.”
I turned around to see Rider facing me from his seat.
I almost melted at the sight of his smile. It was as if the Gods wanted me to fall under temptation.
“Hey.” I smiled back trying to keep cool.
“So you’re Nakita?”
I knew I was staring too hard so I hurried to answer.
“Yea but everyone calls me Kita.”
“I like Nakita better but if everyone calls you Kita then I guess I will too.” He smile got even bigger.
I think I saw his eyes sparkle a little bit. Thank you Mrs. Havens, you are now my favorite teacher!
“I want to try my best to fit in.” He finished.
I wasn’t sure if he was flirting, joking, serious or all three. Therefore, I took it as flirting (I wanted him so badly to be flirting) and gave him small laugh and smile as he turned around.
“You’re hitting it off.” Sam said in my ear.
“People these days are so intruding.” I said to myself but loud enough for Sam to hear.
“It isn’t healthy to talk to yourself Frito.”
I turned to see Madison Livingston looking at me from the next row. Sam and I used to be friends with Madison in middle school but as soon as Madison grew into her looks she became, as Sasha would put it, Little Miss Prissy. The thing is Madison is pretty. She did not let anyone forget it. Sam and I were just as pretty as Madison but we did not flaunt as she did. Sam and I both had long brown hair but Sam kept hers in curls. I had ice blue eyes and Sam had sage green eyes. We both had small moles. Mine was under my lip and Sam’s was above her brow.
“I wasn’t talking to myself Madlyinsane.”
Sam came up with the nickname Madlyinsane for Madison. I have no idea how but I loved it. In return, Madison came up with the name Frito for me and the name Sad-MAN-tha for Sam.
Madison gave me a dirty look and turned her attention to Rider.
“Hi Rider I’m Madison but you can call me Madi.” Madison put her hand top of Riders' and drew circles with her forefinger. “If you ever get tired of talking to Frito here you can always talk to me.” She smiled and winked at him.
“First of all if you’re trying to impress the kid you should really try to contain your shabbiness and second of all I thought witches oozed slime not desperateness.” Sam snapped with a smirk on her face. I tried to keep a strait face but a smile appeared anyway.
“Whatever Sam, I mean Sad-MAN-tha.” Madison said as she flipped her long curly blond hair and turned back around in her seat. I absolutely loved it when Madison gave up. The look on her face is always priceless.
“Thanks Sam.”
“What are friends for?”
Sam stood up and went over to Rider
“Madison is like the girls in movies.”
“The snobby ones who think they own the place?”
“That’s right! Hey Kita this one is a fast learner.”
“Um thanks?”
“That was compliment.” Sam smiled at Rider.
“Compliments are rare coming from Sam. It means she likes you.” I said as I smiled at Sam.
“Miss. West, I know trying to welcome Mr. Smith but can you please take your seat?”
Sam looked at Mrs. Havens and rolled her eyes.
“Sure Mrs. H.” “Your wish is my command.”

“Remember Rider, you’re not here to have fun.” My Uncle Deon said as I got out of his truck.
“I know, I know Uncle Deon, we’ve been over this a million times. I need to keep a very low profile and I don’t need to draw attention to myself.”
“I’m just making sure. I don’t want any thing happening to you now that your mom is no longer here to protect you.”
“I’ll be okay. That’s why I’m here anyway, remember? You can’t find a demigod in a room full of humans.”
My uncle rolled his eyes. He was a human himself, just like my mother. I am not a human. I am one of many demigods on the earth. I have my mom to thank for that. She fell in love with my father Hephaestus. He is the god of fire. Gods are not supposed to fall in love with humans. The ones that do, have children called demigods. My father could not stay when I was born. He had his duties in Olympus. My mom told me every thing when I was five. It was the first time I saw my powers at work. I was angry because mom wouldn’t let me go to the park by myself and out of no where my fist caught fire and I burned the house down. After that, I grew up learning about my heritage and my father at a demigod school. Now I am 18 and going into hiding because of it. A month ago, Hades, the god of death, declared war on my father and a few other gods and vowed that he would kill all of their human wives and children. Hades found my mother at our lake house and killed her on spot. I was with my uncle at the time. When I arrived home, I found my mother in her bed dead and on her walls was a message from Hades saying that he would find me. Ever since then I’ve been living with my mother’s brother, Uncle Deon. Now that I’m in hiding I have to attend a new school that has no demigods in it. That’s why I am now standing in front of a school in Georgia.
“Good luck today Rider. Don’t blow it.” Uncle Deon said as he drove away.
“Thanks for walking me in!” I yelled after him.
I as I made my way through the school I could tell it had been there for a very long time. It was rather creepy. I knew that I was going to hate it here. Once I was in the office, a teacher who looked like she had been going through her daughter’s clothes greeted me.
“Hi! You must be Rider Smith.” She said as she offered me her hand. “I’m Mrs. Havens.”
“Hi.” I said as I shook it. It was a well-moisturized hand. I could tell because I felt the lotion that she didn’t completely rub in.
“Okay Rider, follow me. You will be in my class for first period.” She looked up at me and smiled. I was probably a foot or two taller than she was. I followed her down the hallway until we came to the last door on the left.
“Stand right here Mr. Smith while I get the class prepared.”
Mrs. Havens went inside the classroom and then two minutes later she opened the door and motioned for me to come in. She introduced me to the class. Now, I have a very high confidence level but I still felt out of place. The truth is I am out of place. I knew this wasn’t a good idea but my uncle insisted that it would be better for me to be around a crowd of humans than just one.
“Rider you can take the seat in front of Nakita.”
I looked around until my eyes fell upon a girl smiling at me with her hand raised. Her eyes were a piercing ice blue and she had the cutest mole under her bottom lip. She was beautiful. Snap out of it Rider you’re not here to look at brown hair beauties. You’re in hiding. I had told myself this all morning. You’re in hiding Rider, you’re in hiding. As I made my way to my seat, Nakita turned around and started talking to the girl behind her. I sat down and started to debate whether I should say something or not. I know I shouldn’t but if I have to be here I’m going to at least make friends. I turned around and said hey. Nakita turned, looked at me and smiled.
“Hey.”
She had a pretty smile. It looked natural.
Our conversation was short. We only talked about her name. Really Rider? “I like Nakita but if everyone calls you Kita I guess I will too.” A smile, then, “I want to try to fit in.” That’s how you decide to flirt? God I’m so lame. I’m glad I turned around when I did, before any thing else awful could come out of my mouth. Kita laughed as I turned. God she’s laughing at me. She probably thinks I’m a loser from some country town or something. A girl sitting in the next row snapped me out of my thoughts. She was cute but she didn’t have eyes like Kita. Look at me; I’m already comparing other girls to her. You’re in hiding Rider, you’re in hiding. I wasn’t really paying attention to what the girl was saying. All I know is that her name is Madison something, she was tracing circles on my hands with her finger and she said something about a frito. All of a sudden, the girl behind Kita snapped at Madison.
“And second of all I thought witches oozed slime not desperateness.”
Then it dawned on me. Madison was flirting and I was just sitting there letting her.
“Thanks Sam.” Kita said to the girl.
“What are friends for?” Sam said back.
Clearly, Sam and Kita are bestfriends and I guessing they don’t like this Madison girl. Okay that was easy to put together.
Sam got out of her seat and made her way to me. She explained that Madison was one of those girls you see in movies. I knew exactly what she meant. She told Kita I was a fast learner. I was a little confused so I said um thanks. I know I sounded as if I was slow. Kita said that it was a complement and that they were rare from Sam. It meant she like me. I hope she meant in a friend way because I don’t think Sam would be my type of girl. Sam was pretty but human. Madison was pretty but human. Kita was gorgeous and I only wish she wasn’t human.

“So how do you like it so far? Sam asked Rider as she licked the jelly from the side of her pinky.
Sam, Rider, and I were sitting at a table out side having lunch. Rider had all of our classes so Sam invited him to eat with us.
“Do you mean the lunch, school, or here in Georgia?” “I can give you something for all three if you want.” Rider answered sitting down his apple juice.
“Go for it”
“Well the lunch is not the greatest but I’ll live. The school, it could use some maintenance, and Georgia is okay. It's not that different from Alabama.”
My elbow and Rider's elbow were touching. I liked it, I mean I liked it a lot but some reason I quickly moved my arm, propped my elbow on the table and put my chin in my hand.
“Do you live in town or the country?” I asked going the conversation so my quick move wouldn’t look weird.
“I live in town just like I did in Alabama.”
“Kita lives in the town too.” Sam said
“Sam shut up.” I snapped.
I could tell what Sam was doing and I didn’t like it. I could get a guy myself if I wanted to. In this case, I did want to but not with Sam’s help.
Sam smiled, stuck her tongue out at me, and turned back to Rider.
“Where in Alabama are you from? “
“Greenbow, and before you say anything I do not know Forest Gump.”
Sam and I looked at each other and started to laugh. Rider joined us a few seconds later.
“What are you guys laughing about?” Eric asked as he sat in-between Sam and me and put his arm around my shoulder.
“Nothing you’d be interested in guy me.” I said. Eric was my twin brother. He looked just like me, ice blue eyes and all but his brown hair was short, and he did not have a mole.
“Eric, this is Rider, he’s new.” I said.
“What’s up man?’ Rider smiled at Eric.
“Sup.” Eric said. He looked Rider up and down as if he wanted to find something wrong with him. I got rather worried at the moment that Eric wouldn’t like him
“So, girl me.” Eric said turning back to me. “There’s a back to school party at Madison’s tonight.”
“And.” Sam said.
Eric rolled his eyes at Sam’s comment.
“Do you want to car pool with me and Todd?” Eric gave me his best puppy dog eyes.
I turned to Sam and Rider.
“What do say best friend and new friend? Do you people want to party tonight?” I stood up and started swinging my hips back and forth.
"I’m pretty sure mom will let me go.” Sam said “What about you Rider?”
“I wouldn’t miss my first Bacon County High School party. Count me in!”
I laughed. Rider was a hot, funny magnificent miracle. I felt myself blush a little when I caught Rider looking at me. He turned away and started to bend the end of his fork.
“Why don’t you and Rider become buddies while Kita and I step into the bathroom?” Sam said to my brother
“Sure.”
Once Sam and I made it into the bathroom, Sam exhaled loudly as if she was holding her breath all the way there.
“So, Rider?”
“What do you mean?” I blushed at the sound of his name. God, I need to get myself under control.
“What do you think about him Sully?” Sam said with a little whine to her voice.
“He’s pretty cool I guess.”
I lied. I thought this guy was way more than cool.
“I’m just glad he is hanging with us and not Madlyinsane.” I said.
This was not a lie.
“That’s true. Madison would rip him apart in seconds.” Sam replied
We both laughed.
“You need to tell me if you’re calling dibs.” “I see the way you blush every time you look at his face.”
I was surprised how fast Sam had caught on.
“How…how did you know?” I sputtered
“Kita I’m your best friend.” “I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t know.”
“Wait, why do you need to know if I’ve called dibs?” “Are you finally over my brother?”
“It was just a joke and I will never get over your brother Kita.” “He’s too prefect.”
“Ugh, I was hoping you were done with that by now but I guess not.”
Sam, Eric, and I had hung out all summer, Sam and Eric flirted the entire time. I really didn’t like the fact that Sam liked my brother but I guess I would live.
“Well that means Rider is all yours Sully.
“Aw thanks Mickey.”
“Let’s go so you can get your flirt on.”
“And yours too, I guess.” I smiled at Sam
If I’m going to get over the fact that my best friend likes my brother I better start now.

Kita and Sam were in all of my classes. I hated the fact that they were but at the same time, I was glad. I hated it because as the day went on I could tell it was going to be hard to be around Kita. I can’t like the girl. I’m a demigod. She’s human. I would just be putting her life in danger. I was glad because I started to notice more about her. I noticed the way she crinkled her nose when she read the board, the way she looped her letters together when she wrote, not in cursive but just looped, the way she smiled at me when she caught my eye. Ugh! You’re in hiding Rider, you’re in hiding. When it was time for lunch, Sam invited me to sit with them. I only said yes because I was supposed to be "fitting” in. When we sat down, I sat next to Kita with out even thinking about it. I knew that I was starting to fall for her. It was my first day here and I was already falling for a human. Thanks Uncle Deon you’re the best! I told Sam what I thought about the lunch, school, and Georgia. I tried to keep a cool tone in my voice even though I was all nerves. I don’t know why really. I guess it had to do with Kita being so close to me. Our elbows were touching and I wanted so badly to move mine away but I couldn’t. Kita did the honors by moving hers and propping it up on the table. She asked me do I live in town or the country quickly after. I wonder why she’d moved away so quickly. I told them that I lived in town just as I did in Alabama. Sam asked me where I lived in Alabama. I hated that question. The time I tell people, I lived in Greenbow, they start with the Forest Gump questions. I told Sam quickly I lived in Greenbow and that I did not know Forest Gump. Both Sam and Kita laughed. I smiled at the thought that I made Kita laugh, okay so I made Sam laugh too. Soon I was laughing with them. A few seconds later, a guy came up to the table, asked what we were laughing at, sat in-between Sam and Kita, and put his arm around Kita. I felt my hands heat up at the sight. It’s a good thing I learned to controlled my powers a long time ago or this guy would be a crispy hot piece of toast. Kita introduced him as Eric.
I know I smiled and said hey and all but I really wanted tear his arm off her. Eric looked me up and down as if he didn’t like the sight of me, so I matched his stare. Then I started noticing how similar Kita and Eric looked. I’m surprised I didn’t notice it at first, they had the same ice blue eyes and they were calling each other girl me and boy me. Eric and Kita are brother and sister. Well, don’t I feel stupid. Eric was asking Kita if she would car pool to that Madison girl's party. Kita got out of her seat and started swinging her hips back and forth asking Sam and me how we felt about it. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. It was as if the Gods wanted me to fall under temptation. Before I knew what I was saying I agreed to go to the party. Kita laughed at the way I said “Count me in!” I really couldn’t take my eyes off of her. There’s something about her, and I know that it has to be forbidden. Kita caught me staring and I quickly focused my eyes on my fork.
“Why don’t you and Rider become buddies while Kita and I step into the bathroom?” Sam said to Eric.
“Sure.” He said back.
The time Kita and Sam left everything became awkward.
“So what’s your name again, isn’t it something like Fido?” Eric said with a serious face. I knew that he was joking though.
“You’re funny bro, but no.” I said back. I wasn’t very amused by his joke. “It’s Rider.”
“Nice name Rider.” Eric chopped my name into two syllables. I didn’t enjoy that either.
“So you’re Kita’s brother?” I changed the subject off me.
“Yea I’m her twin but I’m older by three minutes.”
“That’s cool.”
“So, have you scoped out the girls yet?”
“What do you mean?”
“Have you seen a girl you might want?” "I, myself, think Sam is rather hot."
I thought about the question for a few seconds. I wasn’t about to strait out tell him, I think I’m falling for your sister but I can’t date her because I’m in hiding and that if I were found, and she was with me, she could die. Therefore I lied.
“No not really.”

“Do you want to match to night?” I was standing in my walk in closet going through my clothes.
“Sure.” Sam said as she lay back on my bed.
“That’s not a very excited yes.”
“Yes Kita I would love it if we matched!”
“Well you don’t have to have an attitude. Now get up and put on this dress.” I threw Sam a red cocktail dress with black vertical pin stripes on the top.
“What are you going to wear?”
“The exact opposite.” I smiled and held up a cocktail dress just like the red one but it was black with red pin stripes.
Sam was not even surprised. Leave it to me to buy two dresses that are the same but different. Sometimes Sam thinks I do it for moments just like this. I’ve never told her but she's right. I do.
“How are we going to do our hair?” asked Sam. “Curly, strait, curly?”
I heard the emphasis on that last curly. I hated curling my hair but this was Sam.
“I guess I’ll go curly.” “Only for you Mikey.”
“Yay!” “That’s why I love you Sully.”
“Hey!” Eric yelled from out side my door. “Can you two rush it?” “We still have to pick up Rider and Todd.”
“We aren’t ready!” I yelled back. “The party isn’t over until one and its eight twenty-six, we have plenty of time so you can wait impatient-me.”
“Fine annoying-me!”
“Ugh, why in this whole boy infested world do you like him?” I said as I started putting on my dress.
Sam didn’t answer because she knew it was a rhetorical question, but if she answered she would have said, well there’s the eyes, the smile, he’s prefect, he’s super sweet, etc, etc, so on and so forth. She had already told me why and it makes me sick thinking about it, but I’m going to learn to accept it. I hope.
When done getting ready, we went down stairs.
“You two look nice.” Eric said. He turned towards Sam and whispered in her ear.
I don’t know what he said but I saw Sam blush. Sam never blushes. I thought I was going to throw up and die of disgust.
“Okay guy-me.” I said pulling Eric away. “Get away from my best friend.” “You two can flirt later; now let’s go get Todd and Rider.”

“So how did school go?” Uncle Deon asked as I walked through the door.
“Do you really want to know?”
“Rider, what did you do?”
I could tell by the expression on my uncle’s face that he was far from worried.
“Well, surprisingly, I made two friends.” “I could say three but I’m not too sure how he feels about me yet.”
“Who are these surprising friends?” Uncle Deon said with a questioning tone to his voice.
“My new surprising friends are Kita, short for Nakita, Sam, short for Samantha, and Kita’s Brother Eric.”
“What makes these friends so surprising?” Again, he had a questioning tone.
My uncle was starting to irk me with all these questions. I don’t know what he was trying to get out of me but I know he is looking for something.
“Well, Sam is pretty but she has a bite to her and Eric, I think he knows there is something different about me.”
“If you think Eric knows something, or thinks he knows something you should stay way from him.” “What about this Kita?”
I knew if I wanted to be with Kita I would have to deal with Eric too. Did I just say that? Wow, yea I need to tell my uncle now.
“I think I’m falling for Kita.” “Before you say anyth-“
My uncle interrupted me before I could finish.
“Rider don’t do this.” “You know what happens when demigods fall for humans.” You’re bound to break her heart.”
“Uncle Deon, there is something about her. I don’t know what it is but I like it.”
“I bet you’re going to start telling me, she’s not like the other humans Uncle Deon. Am I right?”
“Uncle Deon she’s not.”
“Still, Rider, you can’t get involved with her. It’s too dangerous.” “What ever feelings you have formed for this girl in the last eight hours, forget them.”
I hated those words. My hands were getting hot. I held up my hand and I let a little flame loose.
“Rider you might be mad but I’m trying to tell you what’s best and getting involved with her isn’t it.”
I let the flame die down and I looked at Uncle Deon. Maybe he is right, but I’m going to prove him wrong. I’m falling for a human and I’m not letting my feelings sit and riot because me loving Kita is dangerous.
“I’m going to a party tonight with Kita, Sam, Eric, and one of Eric’s friends.”
“No you’re not Rider.” “You’re staying way from that girl.” My Uncle stood up from his recliner and made his way to the kitchen. I don’t know what came over me but both of my hands went up in flames and my voice deepened.
“I’m going to the party Uncle Deon, I’m going to see Kita and what ever feelings I have for her, they are going to either grow or lessen.”
Uncle Deon looked up at me from the kitchen counter.
“Cool down Rider before you burn something.”
“Are you going to let me go to this party?”
“If you don’t burn this house down, I’ll let you go.”
At that, I let the flames die down and I took a deep breath and let it out.
“I won’t do anything stupid Uncle Deon. I promise.”
“You say that now.” He replied with a worried expression.

As we pulled up to Madison’s house, Sam made everyone promise to meet back at the car five minutes before one. She was one of those orderly freaks. After that, we filed out of the car and made our way into the house. Todd took Rider to meet some of his friends and Sam pulled Eric and me into the crowd. Sam pulled Eric to her and they started to dance to the music.
“There was no hesitation there.” I said to myself. Leaving Eric and Sam to dance, I went to find Rider. He was standing at the punch bowl talking to Madison. I stood there for a few minutes. I was starting to feel somewhat jealous watching them talk so I walked over to them.
“Sorry to interrupt your fabulous conversation but I need Rider.” I said as smiled at Madison and took Rider by the arm.
“What ever Frito.” Madison said as she turned and walked away.
“Thanks for that Kita. I felt as if she would never stop talking.” Rider said as we made our way into the crowd.
“No problem.” “I love to make Madlyinsane mad.”
Rider laughed. I don’t know if he noticed how bad I was shaking. If he did, he didn’t say any thing. I was pondering on what to say when Rider turned to me and whispered in my ear.
“Do you want to dance?”
“I would love too.”
Rider smiled that body-melting smile, moved behind me, and put his hands on my hips.
When we started moving to the beat of the music, Rider pulled me closer. He was so warm. I felt as if I was on fire. I was getting lost in the feeling of his body next to mine. It all felt to perfect. In those moments, I knew that I was falling for Rider Smith. It was so clear now. I loved his smiled, his laugh, his voice, and the way I feel when I get around him.
“Kita, do you want something to drink?”
Rider snapped me out of my thoughts.
“Um, not really.” I said. I wanted to stay and dance next to him forever and that was not going to happen at the punch bowl.
“Rider I need to talk to you.” I don’t know why I said it. It came out of nowhere and I don’t know what I was going to say next. Me and my big mouth.
“Sure, is there something wrong?” Rider said with a puzzled expression on his face.
“Uh... no... Nothing’s wrong.” “Let’s go sit on the swing out front.”
“Okay.”
We made our way out to the porch and sat down on the swing. I was all nerves at this point. I don’t know why I brought him out here. I had just told myself I want to dance next to him forever. What happened to that thought? I knew I wasn’t going to get anything done by chewing my brain out so I spoke.
“Do you like Madison?” Yep that’s what I said. Slap me now but I can’t take it back.
“No! I don’t like Madison.” Rider said with a chuckle in his voice.
“Why are you laughing?”
“I mean I just got done thanking you for saving me from her talking about ten minutes ago.” “I’m pretty sure I made it clear I don’t like Madison.”
“Sorry, it was a stupid question.”
Rider smiled at me and I saw his eyes twinkle. I know I was blushing, but I couldn’t help it. I mean it’s Rider.
“Kita, can I tell you something?”
My heart was beating ninety to nothing. I can’t believe I managed out a yes.
“I think you’re a really cool girl. You’re funny, sweet, and you have the most magnificent piercing ice blue eyes. I know we’ve just met today but-“
“Rider, are you asking me out?” I blurted out. I didn’t mean to interrupt him.
“Well I was trying to.”
“I’m sorry.” I laughed
“So will you?” Rider said with a hopeful look on his face.
“I would love too.” I was blushing ecstatically at this point.
“That would be the second time you’ve told me that tonight.”
“I would love to do any thing with you Rider.”
It was out before I could stop it, but I wasn’t going to take it back.
“Is that right?” Rider smiled.
I could look at that smile all night. Tonight my brain was somewhere other then in my head and I loved it because at that moment, I pulled Rider to me and I hugged him. I felt the heat instantly. I wonder what a cold night would feel like sitting next to him.
“Do you want to go back in side? Wait, let me guess, you would love too.”
“How did you know?” I flirted as I pulled him to the door.
Once we were back inside and lost in the crowd, I turned to Rider.
“Do you want to dance some more?”
“I would love too. I would love to do anything with you Kita.”
You couldn’t have wiped the smile that was plastered on my face with a Mr. Clean magic eraser.

“Rider there’s an Eric and a Sam at the door.” Uncle Deon yelled from down stairs.
I made my way down and found Eric and Sam looking nervous. My uncle is a big person. He has the makings of a god but he’s just a human. I understood why they would feel weird around him. He looked as if he just stepped out of a bodybuilding commercial.
“Bye Uncle Deon.” I said as I walk out of the door.
“Remember what we talked about Rider.”
“Okay.”
I closed the door and Sam, Eric and I made our way to Kita’s car.
“Is your uncle on steroids or something?”
“Or something.” I said back.
“He’s a big dude.” Eric added
“Yea but Uncle Deon wouldn’t hurt a duck.”
“I think the expression is wouldn’t hurt a fly Rider.” Sam said once we were in the car.
“If I said he wouldn’t hurt a fly I would be lying. He’s killed many flies.”
“Hey kid I’m Todd.”
“Sup Todd, I’m Rider.”
The rest of the car ride to Madison’s house was quite. Once we got there, Sam pestered us about being back at the car by twelve forty-five. As we walked up to house, Todd became more talkative.
“Rider once we get in side I’ll take you to meet some people.”
I didn’t want to spend my time at the party with Todd. I wanted to get closer to Kita, but I didn’t want to be rude to Todd.
“Sure Todd”
Once inside I watched Sam pull Eric and Kita into the crowd of people.
“Let’s go Rider.” Todd said as he motioned me to a crowd of people that looked as if the would be robbing a bank after the party.
“You know what Todd, I’ll be right back. I’m going to go get something to drink.”
“Okay dude.”
I hated what I just did but I didn’t want to know those people. I told my uncle I wouldn’t do any thing stupid. That would have been stupid. I found the punch bowl and poured some punch in a red plastic cup. I started to think of the song Red Solo cup by Toby Keith. I checked the cup and surprise, surprise it was a solo cup. I laughed to myself. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around. I was hoping it was Kita but instead I came face to face with Madison.
“Hi Rider.”
“Hey Madison.”
“I told you to call me Madi remember?”
“You did?”
“Oh you’re funny Rider.” Madison laughed.
It was the fakest laugh I’ve ever heard.
“So Rider, she started. “ I noticed you sat with Nakita and Samantha at lunch.” Madison said their names as if they were distasteful to her. I rolled my eyes and folded my arms across my chest.
“What’s your point Madison? Are you stalking me now?”
“No and I just wanted to know why you sat with….them.” Madison looked at me with the most momentous expression on her face. She wasn’t kidding at all. What was this chick’s problem?
“Well Madison, Sam and Kita are fun to be around, they’re sweet and-“
“Whatever, they’re crazy; they will corrupt your mind if you continue to be friends with them.”
I don’t know what it is with humans and their need to interrupt people to get their own point across. First my uncle and now her, I guess it will always be that way.
“I don’t think so Madison, as far as I know they’re pretty cool.”
Madison put her hand on my shoulder. “You’re new Rider, you wouldn’t know much.”
My hands began to heat up. I unfolded my arm and slipped my hands into my pockets. Madison was getting to me. I don’t understand her or why she was trying to make me think badly of Kita and Sam. I prayed to my father and the other gods to make Madison vanish. Couldn’t they see how much misery she was causing me? Then I heard Kita’s voice and felt her touch on my arm. Thanks dad! I thanked Kita too as we walked away from the punch bowl. “No problem. I love to make Madlyinsane mad.”
I laughed at that. Madison was madly insane. Because of the fact I am a demigod, my nerves didn’t show through, nut by the way Kita was shaking, I knew she had to be. She had an “I’m keeping cool” look on her face so I acted as if I didn’t notice. Instead, only because she wasn’t saying anything and maybe because I wanted to, I asked her to dance. I couldn’t help but smile when she said she’d love to. I moved behind her and put my hands on her hips. Dancing with kita was different from dancing with demigod girls. I could tell she noticed the heat that my body was giving off. On impulse, I pulled her closer. I knew every thing I was doing was wrong, but it all felt to right. Now I know how my dad and mom felt. Mom said she and dad fell for each other in less than a week. It only took me a day/night to fall for Kita. I felt Kita sink a little more into me. It made me realize how it will feel not to have her beside me. I could get her killed. I had to shake my head clear of my thoughts. I ask Kita if she wanted something to drink. It was all I could think of to keep the thought of Hades getting to Kita out of my head. “Um, not really. Rider I need to talk to you.” I tensed a bit when the words came from her mouth. I was confused. Maybe I’m jumping to conclusions, maybe it’s not what I think. What are you thinking Rider?
“Is there something wrong?” I managed to say before any thing bad ran through my thoughts.
“Um… no… nothing’s wrong. Let’s go sit on the swing out front.”
My heart was beating fast and hard. Every step towards the door troubled me. I knew Kita would either weaken me or strengthen me and right now, I felt as weak as a starved horse. We sat on the porch swing and I did my best to hide my distraught expression.
“Do you like Madison?”
The question was quick. I couldn’t believe it. I’d just spent an entire day looking at no one but her and she’d catch me every time, I’d spent almost a hour dancing with her and only her, and she thinks I like Madison? I didn’t mean to laugh but it was a seriously stupid question.
“No! I don’t like Madison.” I reminded her of how I had just finished thanking her for taking me way from the girl. Of course I don’t.
“Sorry, it was a stupid question.” Kita said as she looked down at her hands, then back at me. I smiled when I noticed she was blushing.
“Kita, can I tell you something?”
“Yea.”
Here we go Rider. It’s time for the demigod to kick in.
“I think you’re a really cool girl, I started, you’re funny, sweet, and you have the most magnificent piercing ice blue eyes. I know we just met but-“
“Are you asking me out?”
I’ve grown really tired of being interrupted. This is the third time in one day. I admitted that I was trying to and she laughed an apology. I knew asking her out wasn’t the best idea but I wanted her. I wanted Nakita Slivers.
“So will you?” I said.
“I’d love to.”
I smiled at her. Kita was mine. I pointed out that that was the second time she had said I’d love to. She surprised me when she said, “I’d love to do any thing with you.” Aphrodite was working wonders tonight.
“Is that right?” I said with a smiled.
Kita pulled me to her and hugged me. I didn’t want to let her go. I asked her back inside even though I already knew her answer. She pulled me through the door and once trapped in the crowd, she asked me to dance.
“I’d love to.” I winked at her. “I’d love to do anything with you Kita.”
Her smile never left her face for the rest of the night. We danced without saying a word. There was nothing else to say. We just let our bodies melt together. Kita never left my side, and I didn’t want her to. In the middle of a techno song, I checked my watch. It was one twenty-seven. The party was supposed to end at one but the house was still full of people. Then I remembered we were supposed to meet at Kita’s car at twelve fifty-five.
“Kita we have to go.” I said as I pulled away from her.
“Why?” She turned and asked with a puzzled look on her face.
“It’s almost one-thirty.”
“Oh crap we really need to go!”
I took Kita’s hand and we made our way through the bodies surrounding us to the front door. Eric was coming through the door when we got there.
“It’s about time! Kita, where have you been?”
“We were dancing and lost track of time.”
I noticed the angry stare Eric was giving me. I matched it and then looked at Kita who was giving both of us a disapproving look. I knew that Eric and I weren’t going to be the best of friends but I would have to deal with his stupid stares for Kita.
“Let’s go. We need to get Todd and Rider here home.” Eric said taking Kita’s hand from mine and pulling her through the door. He had chopped my name into two syllables again. He should be very happy with the fact that I can control myself. Kita loosened her brother’s grip and grabbed my hand again. “Come on Rider we’ll drop you off first.” Kita smiled at me. I could see her eyes sparkle even in the dim light on the porch.


























*********

Kita got out with me once we were at my house.
“What are you going? You’re driving, remember?” Eric said from the passenger seat.
“I’ll be right back Eric. Calm down!” Kita snapped back.
I loved it. We made our way through my yard and stopped at my front door.
“So, how did you like your first Bacon County High School party?”
“I enjoyed it very much.” I said as I took her hand.
“Give me your phone.” Kita held out her hand and waited as I dug in my pocket to get it.
“Text me.” Kita put her number n my phone and a second later, I heard her phone beep. “Now you have my number and I have yours.”
“Because I clearly have no choice, I’ll text you.” I smiled at her.
“Good.” She smiled back. ”Talk to you later I guess.”
“Yeah.”
“Bye Rider and don’t forget about my date.” Kita winked at me as she turned to walk away.
“I’d never forget.”
Kita looked at me and smiled one last time before she got in the car.
I went inside and made my way to my room. I opened the door to find my dad sitting on my bed.
“Dad what are you doing here? Do know how-.”
“How dangerous this could be? Yes I’m very aware of that.”
I guess I’m just going to get interrupted all night.
“What are you doing here dad?” I closed my door and sat in my computer chair.
“Rider, listen to me. You’re in hiding and you don’t need to put any lives in danger.”
“I’ve been telling myself that all day. Let me guess, you’ve been talking to Uncle Deon. I won’t let any thing happen to her. I won’t let her get in too deep.”
“Let’s hope not. Please keep limits with this girl Rider. If Hades finds out you’re falling for a human he will use it to destroy you. We can’t risk that. She has family and friends who care for her. She doesn’t need your self wants to ruin her life.”
“Dad I know all of this and I know what I’m doing. You and mom felt the same way I feel now.”
“Just be careful Rider.”
“Okay Dad.”
“What’s her name?”
“Nakita Slivers.” I spun in my chair as I said her name. I loved the sound of it in my mouth.
“Nakita huh? Un-concord.”
“What?”
“Nakita means un-concord. This means you have a tough one.”
I wonder if Kita knows what her name means. I looked at my floor and then back at my dad.
“Are we done with this father son talk now because I’m rather tired?”
“I guess you’re tired from falling for the human. I’ve been there. It didn’t take me long to fall for you’re mother.”
“Dad please.” I really didn’t want to hear the story of him and mom.
“Okay Rider. Good night and don’t forget what we have talked about.”
“Bye Dad and I won’t.”
My dad left my room but not before giving me a long hug. He might be a god but he’s a good father when he needs to be. He’s always been there for me. I got out of my chair, went, and lay on my bed. I took out my phone and set a reminder to text Kita in the morning. I laid there for a while thinking over the entire day. Nakita Slivers was mine and so were Sam, Eric, and Madison. Now that I’m with Kita, I will have to deal with them. I like Sam, I could handle Madison, but Eric will be hard to please. It also meant that in the end I would have to protect them all.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 4 comments.


on Aug. 6 2012 at 5:35 pm
2014Nation GOLD, Alma, Georgia
10 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never in the world does hatred cease by hatred; hatred ceases by love. - Buddha

chapter 8 is posted and chapter 9 will be too when i finish writing it. it may take me a while before i finish the book. i've started school. so i wont have a lot of time.

on Jul. 25 2012 at 10:41 am
JustAnotherDay. BRONZE, Andover, Ohio
2 articles 1 photo 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stephen Fry - There are many people out there that will tell you that "you can't". What you've got to do is turn around and say, "watch me."

Oh, just comment when you do!(: 

on Jul. 25 2012 at 8:48 am
2014Nation GOLD, Alma, Georgia
10 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never in the world does hatred cease by hatred; hatred ceases by love. - Buddha

Thank you! i"ll have the next chapters up soon!

on Jul. 15 2012 at 4:36 am
JustAnotherDay. BRONZE, Andover, Ohio
2 articles 1 photo 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stephen Fry - There are many people out there that will tell you that "you can't". What you've got to do is turn around and say, "watch me."

Keep writing, I love it.