365 Days

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

February

I met you wearing a sheath of heart-shaped arrows, a ridiculous bedazzled pink cardigan, and red pants.

I had lost a bet.

You'd actually been there to witness my losing the bet, but forgive me, I didn't know you were in Yearbook class. What would we have done if we'd talked more before then?

You'd have probably thought I was boring, which I am. I think the vest intrigued you.

You see, Yearbook needed two members to hand out valentines to the old folks at the home on Hillcrest as part of our community service. One of us was to dress up like Cupid.

Guess who that idiot was.

I met you at the home at promptly 7 AM, wearing something my mom had thrown together, pleased I was "participating in my community."

You looked me up and down and smirked. Your voice had a hot sauce bite to it. "I didn't know Cupid had a bedazzler."

I noticed your hair was chestn ut brown with bits of teal and lilac dancing at the ends, barely brushing the middle of your neck. "I lost a bet" I somehow mumbled.

"So did I," you said. "Let's get this over with."

The old folks' home smelled of soup and disgruntlement. And urine. Somehow the thought of soup and urine together made my stomach turn, but I had only just met you so I couldn't communicate this yet.

The procedure was simple: I introduced myself as Cupid, you handed them the handmade valentine, and they frowned until their nurse made them mumble "thank you." Perhaps the most eventful was a gentleman named Mr. Peters, who latched onto my sleeve before I could talk and started shouting about Vietnam.

Mr. Peters's nurse let us eat cold enchiladas in the cafeteria at the end of the day for free, probably because amidst his shouting he had torn off my sleeve.

"So," you said, wiping som e enchilada sauce off on your cloth napkin.

I wish you wouldn't give people just one word sometimes. You're beautiful, you know. People don't know what to say.

I took another forkful of food.

You sighed. "I'm gonna be crazy like that one day, you know. Screaming at bedazzled Cupids, letting my nurse send them off to eat microwavable enchiladas."

"You think so?"

"I know so. I'm crazy now, actually. Give me a few more years and I'll be running naked in the middle of traffic."

I snickered at this, and worried that I sounded like a horse asking for food I turned my head away. My face was growing as pink as my stupid shirt.

"So, Bedazzled Cupid. Some strange twist of fate has brought us here to the old folks home on Hillcrest."

"Yeah?"

"Yes. I assume that you watch movies."

"You're ver y intuitive."

"So I've been told. You like silent films?"

"Never seen one."

"Shut. Up."

"No, I really---"

"Awww, no! Perfect window for you there, muchacho. You could've mouthed the words to me then it could've been just like a silent movie. You've so much to learn."

You took my hand then.

I'll never know why, but fingers curled around fingers and you said "Let's go."

WOWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 2 at 1:00 pm:
Beautiful :) just beautiful. I was a bit depressed before I read this and now I'm happy. My only critisizm is that some things were worded strangly and i didn't really get what it meant.

Maroon5Lover said...
this is a really beautiful story . you can raelly connect with the characters.PLEASE NEVER  STOP WRITING!!!!!!

AugustusH20s replied...
May 25 at 6:43 pm :
Thank you very much! You're very kind. :) xBri

TangledLaces21 said...
Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm:
Not only did I feel connected to the characters, but this story drew me in with it's mystery and great vocabulary. It felt like reading a diary of a friend, feeling their pain as it came and went. Perhaps this is one of your own experiences, and that's why it's so meaningful. Or you could just have the gift of being an exceptional writer. Either way, this story touched me deeply for my own personal reasons. If I had the words, I'd tell you how beautifully it was written and how t... (more »)

AugustusH20s replied...
May 25 at 6:42 pm :
Wow! This is very, very kind. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you! xBri

nemish23 said...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm:

That is so cute! I love it, but I think it could use some improvement on character development, especially.

Also, I didn't understand some of stuff that happened in the middle so I think you should make the plot clearer.

But I loved the idea of the months and 365 days! Great job!

<3

AugustusH20s replied...
Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:05 pm :

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. 

Can I trouble you for a more specific explanation of what wasn't clear to you? Maybe I can help clear some stuff up. Thanks x Bri

Kay_KayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 5:15 am:
I really like this piece :) I must admit, I am quite eager for more ^_^ I love how the characters connect and the insecurities weaved throughout it. I love it :)
Will there be a chapter 6?

AugustusH20s replied...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm :
Aw, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Yes, there will be more. xBri

Kay_KayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:51 pm :
YAY! That's awesome! Can't wait :D