He Smells Like Heaven. | Teen Ink

He Smells Like Heaven.

By Abomination, ., Illinois
Abomination, ., Illinois

Author's note: I hope this is a heart warming story, of how two people can come together, and make the best out of it. I've always wanted a foreign exchange student, so this was kind of like how I imagined it would be.

I began to walk away from him, my eyes filling with tears. I was in love. And now he was leaving. He was leaving for good. I couldn’t stop him, it just wasn’t possible. I held my sobs in the best I could, as I was downed the isle, away from him, forever.

“What’s going on?” I questioned my parents, when I had arrived home from my walk. They were in back of their Dodge Caravan, with two large suitcases I had never seen before. They both glanced up at me, a happy expression on their faces.
“Go inside and see.” My mother smiled, holding onto one of the black suitcases. I gazed at them suspiciously, before walking up the driveway, and into the relatively medium sized house. As I walked in, I came to the stairs, hearing a door open from upstairs. I didn’t have any siblings anymore, and my parents were outside. Nor did I have friends, so who was in my house, besides me? I began walking up the stairs, hearing the noise get louder. Quickly, I jogged up the stairs, wondering what was upstairs. My door was creaked open slightly, and I made my way towards it, curiously. I pushed it open, and what I saw nearly gave me a heart attack. There was a boy in my room, about to go through my things. Before he could do so, I spat harshly, “Who are you, and what the hell do you think your doing?!”
The boy, who looked around my age, (17), turned around, his lips forming a visible smirk. He smelled like peppermint; My favorite scent. He had white skin that seemed to glow. Coal black hair hung right above his brown eyes, that framed his face and went about to his mid-neck. He wore a beanie, which made my heart flutter. It was perfect. A black septum piercing hung on his nose, making me drool.
Of course I contained it though. He wore a skin tight black v-neck, and ashy black skinny jeans, with Vans on his feet. Hello there.” He said, with an accent. It almost sounded British.

“You didn’t answer my question.” I hissed, my hazel eyes narrowing at him.
He only chuckled at me, his expression softening, “I’m Oliver and I came here from England.”
I continued to glare at him confused, thinking this over. Why was he at my house? He brushed the hair out of his eyes, and smiled, “I’m your foreign exchange student.”
My eyebrows arched upwards, as I say, “You’re my what?”
He glanced at me, and then laughed, “They didn’t tell you? Oh well, Surprise.”

"Come on, Rayne, just go for a walk with him. You need to spend time together. Make a friend.” My mother urged, pushing me towards him.
He stood tall, his lips in a cocky smile as he murmured, “Oh yes. That sounds lovely.” I snickered at him, and then stomped out of the house. He followed behind me, which I hoped he wouldn’t do. “Come on, talk to me.” He purred, walking beside me. I had been ignoring him for the past 10 minutes we had been walking, and I wasn’t planning on changing that. “Why don’t you like me?” He questioned, not giving up.
“Because I don’t want you here.” I hissed, speeding up. He continued to walk in sync with me, not leaving me alone. He only shook his head, chuckling, and looking at me out of the corner of his eyes. We were walking in my neighborhood, near the richer part of town. My brown hair was pulled up into a messy pony tail, and I had light makeup on, but I didn’t care. I sure as hell wasn’t trying to impress him.
It was Summer, the month of June. Oliver would leave in a month or two, I wasn’t sure. But when he did leave, I wouldn’t care. Good riddens. He was wearing skinny jeans, and a white V-neck tee shirt, while I wore my light blue shorts, and a black t-shirt. It was hot out, about 89 degrees, and I was sweating. As we walked further, I made out a couple figures in the distance. They were on the opposite side of the road, and good thing for that.
These figures, were known as Kylie and Mindy, the most popular girls in the neighborhood. Kylie Was the richest. A blond girl, with light blue eyes, and tanned skin. Obviously, a fake tan. She wore lots of makeup, too much if you ask me. Her follower, known as Mindy, always went where she went, saying snide comments. She to was tan and blond, with green colored eyes. Kylie gazed at me and gave me a look that could kill, before you looked over at Oliver and glancing at him like he was prey. I held my breath, as they both began to cross the road, making there way towards us. Oliver Looked down at me, giving me a confused expression, as I halted. Kylie Smirked, as she walked up to Oliver. “Hey there, hot stuff.” She purred devilishly, one hand on her hip. She acted as if I wasn’t even there. “Why are you hanging with her?”
I gazed down, ashamed. Kylie and Mindy always made fun of me, and it was twenty times worse that they were doing it in front of Oliver. Oliver glanced down at me softly, and then looked up at Kylie with a smirk on his lips.
“Because I want to.” Those words shocked me, and I inhaled a sharp breath.
“You should hang with us.” Kylie smiled innocently, looking at him like she was gods gift. He shook his head slightly, and chuckled.
“You see, I don’t want to ‘hang’ with you. You’re a girl like the others,” He then proceeded to nod towards Mindy, “And you too. But, what you don’t know is that Rayne is a girl who is different.”
Kylie scoffed, “Yeah, she sure is different.”
Oliver Rolled his eyes at her, before looking down at me with a smile, “Yes. Different in a beautiful, unique way. So, no. I don’t want to ‘hang’ with you. Leave, Scram, I want nothing to do with you.” They both looked at him shocked, and then Mindy stamped her foot, while Kylie gave us a look that said, ‘ your so dead ‘ . They rolled their eyes, and walking back across the road, without saying another word.
“Why’d you say that? I’m not special..?” I whispered, questioning him. It wasn’t like I didn’t want him to say that, but it was odd. Nobody turned Kylie down. Nobody.
He shrugged, and gave me a boyish smile, “Because.. Its true. I dated her type of girl before, back when I was at home. ‘Nothing but trouble, I tell you.” He slightly laughed, “Your special, and different. I like that.” I think I was starting to like him too..

A tear slid down my cheek, as I kept walking. I didn’t turn back once, not wanting my heart to break even more than it already had. He was gone, for good. And there was nothing I could do or say to stop him..

We were at an outside pool, sitting on the grass. There were many other kids from my school as well, but I tried to stay away from them. We, Oliver and I, sat under a large oak tree, on a blanket. “I‘ll be right back.” Oliver informed, giving me a lop-sided smile before running towards a hot dog stand. I nodded and waited for him, glancing at all the people around me. I wasn’t friends with any of them at all. I had no friends, actually. But it didn’t really bother me.
Could Oliver be considered as a friend? No, I laughed inside my head, shaking the thought away. He was just an over confidient foreign exchange student, with an accent and sweet hair, everyone could agree. Didn’t mean I liked him.

A guy who I soon realized was Andy, a jock from my school, because walking towards me. I shrank back slightly on the towel I sat on, hoping he’d leave me alone. No such luck.
“Hey Rayne.” He said, a sinister look in his eyes.
“Oh, um, hey Andy.” I stammered, gulping. Andy laughed, his crooked teeth clearly visible. Andy was Kylie’s boyfriend, and he would literally do anything for her. “Lets swim.” He smirked, grabbing a hold of my wrist, and pulling me up. I began to squirm, but he only held on tighter, grabbing onto my waist, and picking me up and off the ground. He lugged me towards the water, and I knew exactly what he was going to do.
“No!” I shrilly screamed repeatedly. I tried to search for Oliver, hoping it would help me in time. I could see him walking back towards where our towel was set up, a water bottle and hot dog in his hands. As soon as he saw Andy holding me, he dropped the beverage and food, dashing towars us. But it was too late. By then people were watching us, a feared expression in their eyes. Andy laughed, and throwing me in. It was as if everything went into slow motion, as I hit the water, slowly falling to the bottom of the 10 foot pool.
My eyes widened, and gazed around at the blueness. My arms and legs flailed, but I went no where. I couldn’t swim. I opened my mouth, gasping for air, but that only made it worse. I began to choke on the water, my eyes tearing up, though you couldn’t tell.

Slowly, I felt my eyes close, as my breathing got slower. This was it, I thought, I’m going to drown. Before I drifted off, I could hear a loud splash, and I slightly opened my eyes, looking up. I could see someone swimming down towards me, trying to reach out to me. They grabbed a hold of my arm, and jerked me upwards, before hugging me tightly to their chest, and swimming upwards, bringing me with them. Someone else dragged me out of the water, and placed me down on the grass.
The person, who I realized was Oliver pressed on my chest, telling me to breath. After a few moments, I spit out water, coughing and hacking. Oliver Sighed a breath of relief, gazing down at me. “Your alright.” He murmured, “Your alright.” He pushed the wet hair away from my face. I looked up at him, seeing the worried expression on his face go away, to a thankful look.
I breathed heavier, feeling droplets of water hit my face, from his dripping hair, that was above me. I pushed him away as best as I could, and jumped up, running away.

My brother, at the age of 17 had drowned when I was 14. I’m 17 now. My family doesn’t talk about it much, and my parents and I have been drifting further and further apart. I couldn’t save him, and I’ve been deathly afraid of water ever since. I couldn’t swim, and everyone knew that, including Andy. He had thrown me in as a sick joke. Everyone knew about it, Except for Oliver. I began to sob, running towards my car, my clothes soaking wet. “Wait! Please, Rayne wait!” I turned around gazing at him. Why had I run away when he had saved me? Because .. I didn’t want anyone elses, and especially his pity.
“I heard about your brother.” He mumbled softly, making his way towards me, “Some girls were talking about it. I’m so sorry.” I didn’t bother responding, and just threw myself at him, sobbing. He wrapped his arms around me, and held me tightly, not letting go for a while. “You saved me.” I whispered, nuzzling my head into his shoulder.
“I’d do it again, any day, any time.” He smiled softly at me. Those words were like music to my ears.

I knew he had to go back home.. That’s just how it is. He didn’t belong here, he had a life in England. A family. Even though his life at home wasn’t great.. In fact it was horrible, he still wanted to go back. And I couldn’t stop him, even if I tried. Because, thing is, it was out of my hands.. Out of his hands.. Out of both of our control..

“Alright everyone, come on. Dinners ready.” My father grumbled in his deep voice, and sat down. My mother sat next to him, and me across from her. Oliver Sat across from my father, which I thought was funny. My dad would always check the clock, to see what time his favorite show would come on. But now, he couldn’t. Oliver’s Head was in the way.
“Pass the potatoes, please.” My mother smiled, looking over at Oliver. He grinned, and passed them over, after taking some himself. I wasn’t much of a potato person, so I voted out on that.
“Tell us about life at home.” My father said, gazing up from his plate.
Oliver Shrugged, “Not much to talk about.”
I glanced over at him, “Come on.. Spill about your home life.”
He looked at me wearily, and sighed. “Fine.. Here goes,” He began to talk, making me instantly interested. “I have a little brother, Marcus. He lives with my Mother, Janet. We live in a apartment building, on the West side of town. You think of England as this extravagant place, right? Well, not all of England.” He paused, and gave me a questioning look. I nodded, urging him to keep going. “The West side has many troubles, poor people and what not. I’m one of those ‘poor people.’ My father was a drunk, or an alcoholic, as most people say. He would.. hit my mother.” Oliver Stopped talking, and choked on his next words.

I glanced down at my hands that were fidgeting in my lap. After a few moments Oliver started up again, “One day my Father was about to slap my Mother but I stepped in. I had just turned seventeen. I told him to leave, get out, But he only laughed at me.” He pushed the hair away from his fore-head, revealing a dark scar on the top, left corner. “He threw my head against the kitchen counter. I blacked out for a day or two. I had to go to the hospital, and from then on my Father never came back.” He sighed, “I’m glad.. But now my family is struggling. We even had to eat the cheap spagetthi for a month, because we were downright broke. We’re doing better now, but not by much. That’s why I came here, because my Mum wanted me to see what a good life was.” I stared at him in surprised, but he continued. “I know you lost your brother, Rayne.“ He gazed up whispering, “And I know that was hard, but at least you have a family that loves you.“ He gave me a small smile, and I could see him blink away tears. I bit my lip, and turned to face him.
“Everything’s okay now.” I whispered, and outstretched my arms towards him. He looked at me sorrowfully, and hugged me tightly, nuzzling his head into my shoulder, sobbing quietly.
My Father and Mother only watched, a surprised expression clearly visible on their faces. I was shocked to know he had been through so much, because you couldn’t tell with the smile he always wore on his face.

It was the day Oliver would be leaving for England. We had his luggage all set up in the car. He tugged on his jacket, saying it would be chilly when he went back home. I sat in the backseat with him. We were jamming out to a song on the radio, while my mother and father only laughed. After an hour, we reached the airport. “Bye Hun.” My mother smiled, and embraced him in a hug.
“Bye.” He smiled, and then hugged my father.
“Rayne, go and watch him leave.” My Father said, and sat back in the car seat. I nodded, and got out, helping him get his luggage. We walked into the airport together, beside each other. He grabbed the suitcases from me, and smiled.
“I guess I should go.” He murmured, looking over at the line that was boarding the plane.
I nodded slightly, “Yeah..” He looked into my eyes, and then gave me a big, warm hug. Truthfully, I didn’t want him to let go, but he did.
“Bye.” He whispered, and turned around, leaving me. I watched as he passed the Flight Attendant his passport and ticket. She nodded, and let him through. He had boarded the plane, and now I was alone. No point in staying longer, I thought. I turned around, and began walking through the crowds of people.
Thoughts and memories began to swarm my mind. Like, the day I met him. I had hated him, and it seemed as if he hated me. But.. Things changed.
Then, I remember when he turned down Kylie, It was one of the best days of my life. I continued to walk past the lines of people, sighing quietly.

I began to remember when I had almost drowned, and when he had saved me. A warm tear slid down my cheek, just thinking about it. He had saved me. He was my savior. And suddenly I realized it.. Could I be in love?
I shook away the thought, thinking it was absurd. I remembered looking into Oliver’s eyes when he told my family and I about his life at home, how hard it was, and how much he didn’t want to go back. But he had to go back, he was only 17.
I remember him hugging me tightly, almost as if he was afraid to let go. He’s an angel, I thought. He has to be. He’s been through so much, though he continues to have a smile on his face. Its.. Surreal.
I felt my cheek with my finger, realizing it was wet. Was I crying? I was.. I was crying. Sighing, I halted in place. He was gone now.. Probably forever. My heart ached at the thought. But, why would I be sad to see him go? To not talk to him again?
There’s an easy answer for that; I’m in love.. With the foreign exchange student.
I’m in love with the England boy.
I’m in love with the boy who went through my things, and the boy who turned down the hottest girl in town.
I was in love with the boy who saved me, and me get over my fears.
I was in love with the boy who had troubles at home, but was also the boy who overcame them.
I was in love with Oliver. And now he’s gone. Forever.

I broke down. I literally fell to my knees and sobbed. I had been alone my whole life. Sure, I had parents, but I never had any friends. My brother was dead and gone . Oliver was my only friend, the only person I trusted. And now I would never see him again.
People began to stare at me oddly, and I sucked up my tears, standing up. As soon as I walked a foot or two, I heard a familiar voice call my name.
“Wait! Please, Rayne Wait!” I turned on my heel, watching as a boy began running towards me. He enveloped me in his arms, and picked me up and off the floor, twirling me around. It was Oliver. He wore that fresh scent of peppermint and I almost giggled.
“What are you doing?” I asked once he put me down.
He gazed into my eyes, his lips curving into a smile. “I have to tell you something.”
“No, I have to tell you something.” I whispered. Was I really ready to tell him I love him? Guess so.
“You go first.” He said.
“No, you.” I urged on.

He grinned, “Same time?” I nodded, and began to count down. 1.. Could I do this? 2.. I guess I’ll have to. 3.. I don’t want him to leave.
“I love you.” I heard him say, and realized I had said the same thing.
“Wait what?” We both said in sync.
“You love me?” We said once again together. I laughed quietly, and he grinned.
“Yes, I love you.” He flicked the hair out of his eyes, and glanced down at me. “You love me?”
I nodded softly, “Yes. I love you.” And with that, he leaned down and cupped my face with his hands, planting a small, passionate kiss on my lips. Fireworks went off, or at least it seemed like it. I cant believe I hadn’t realized I had loved him sooner. Told him I loved him before he would have to leave.
Did I just die and go to heaven?

I hope you all liked this story~

“You love me.” I repeated over and over again, trying to get it to wrap around my mind. I was in shock .. Awe .. That he could love me. He kept nodding, his arms wrapped around my waist, “I do.”
My lips curved up into a smile, “I love you too.”
He chuckled, “I know.” Sighing happily, I kissed him once more. This was perfect. He was perfect. We were perfect.
My eyes landed on the clock In back of us, and I gasped. “What about your plane ticket?! You have to go back to England!”
He sighed, “You want me to go back?”
I shook my head vigorously, “Of course not..”
He smiled, “Then I’ll stay.”
He’ll stay? How? “I don’t get it.. Your not legal yet.. How can you stay here?”
He thought about it for a moment, deep in thought. He closed his eyes, and I gazed at him. How would he stay? Can he stay? I crinkled my nose thinking about it.
He opened his eyes, a large smile forming on his lips. “I came up with an idea.”
“What’s the idea?” I asked wearily.
“I turn eighteen in a month .. Meaning then I’ll be legal. So, maybe I could stay here until then.”
I thought about it for a moment and nodded, “Maybe..”
“If not, I could convince my Mom to move here. She might say yes.” He grinned down at me, a hopeful look in his eyes. I smiled back at him, a nervous feeling settling in my stomach. What if he couldn’t stay? That would be just.. Unbearable.
We walked hand in hand out of the airport, and towards the space where the car was parked. We could always get the luggage later. My Fathers head turned in his seat, and his eyes widened. He got out of the car, along with my Mother.
“What’s going on?” He asked confused. I looked at Oliver, hoping he’d give an explanation.
He sighed, “I don’t want to leave. I love your daughter, Sir. And I have a plan, so I can stay here.”
My Mother chuckled quietly, as if she had known he would say this all along. “What’s your plan?”
He explained it to them, and they thought about it. “Call your Mom. Talk to her about it, quickly.” My Father urged, passing Oliver his phone. The plane would leave in about forty five minutes; We didn’t have much time.
Oliver took it and dialed his Mom’s number, putting the phone to his ear. They began to talk, quietly at first. It was obvious his mother didn’t want to give him up. And then he asked. “Mum would I be able to stay here?”
The other voice began to talk louder, almost frantic. “I’m in love. Please, Mum. She means the world to me. You could even move here, With Marcus.” The voice went silent for a couple seconds, and then his Mom began to talk.
It took a minute for her to be quiet, and Oliver grinned, “Thank you! Thank you! I love you too. Talk to you soon, bye mum.” He shut off the phone, and handed it back to my Father, a big smile on his face.
The next words made my heart skip a beat,
“I’m staying. I’m staying with you, Rayne. I love you.”

Happily Ever After.

on Oct. 24 2013 at 5:57 pm
MeganLaChance SILVER, Wells, Maine

To be yourself in a world filled with people who want to change you is the worlds greatest accomplishment.

I love this! I want a British boyfriend now!

on Mar. 22 2013 at 10:55 am
jadepotter BRONZE, Louisville, Tennessee

"I believe there are stars that shine even after they are long extinct and some people I consider to be these stars." Hannah Senesh

so cute...i love stories like this!

on Jun. 14 2012 at 10:27 am
allaboutmylife PLATINUM, Miami, Florida
this is such a cute begining i love it!!