Hanover | Teen Ink

Hanover

By Emm123, n/a, Massachusetts
Emm123, N/a, Massachusetts

One of life's greatest mystery is discovering who you are.

It was the first day of rehearsal for students at Hanover University. The audience sat facing the stage, awaiting a sprightly welcoming speech from their teacher-director. The building greeted them all back warmly, smugly exhibiting its spectacular sculpt of spherical architecture. Boastfully putting on display the striking crimson of its curtains, and the mezzanine adorned with metal ramps that gleamed golden in the hue of the low lights cast over the regal theater.
Everyone had gotten the role (lead or otherwise too minuscule to mention) that they’d expected. Every techie, every dancer, every backstage manager, had been the one from last season’s student-run musical. Nothing new there.
And when I had politely interrupted the director to announce a remonstration of mine concerning the nature of the chosen musical, there was a collective groan from the drama students.
Like I said…nothing new.

“Yes, April?” said the club counselor, who at the beginning of the year insisted we call her Ally. She was short, blonde and could easily blend in with the rest of us if she ever wanted to impersonate someone. She loved to wear uggs year-round and her two favorite acts were clueless innocence, and the indulgent and ‘totally hip’ teacher. She was, naturally, a favorite amongst them. I, on the other hand, still wasn’t sure I was comfortable being under the authority of someone with the attention span of a gnat.
“Well, I couldn’t help but notice that this play has one lead role. A male,” I began. Clipboard and pen in hand, I and two other co-directors stood up on stage alongside Ally, the first to greet the cast crew. We were the coordinators and backbone of this season’s spring musical, since our appointed counselor hardly deserved that title. I was glad the seats had already been filled several rows thus far. It gave me momentum to know that I at least had most people’s attention, despite the initial feedback.
“Is that a problem?”
Not wanting to come on too strong or--quite simply--rude, I shook my head, “Not a problem just…typical.”
Another collective groan.
“Personally, I think it would be nice if we had a lead without facial hair for once,” I continued on, “I did read Roses of the Sun, and considering it’s a romance, the heroine is shockingly insignificant.” To say she was insignificant would be an overstatement. She was a complete and utter doormat. But since our productions consisted of student-written plays, I hardly ever expected any phenomenal works of art. Clearly our range of artistic ability did not stretch far—as the most creative story one of us could come up with was a romantic comedy involving an all-too original love triangle between a bunch of baroque characters. It was a painful reminder to know that I myself was contributing to this “musical”. They could at least have decency to adhere to some reasonable amends. And mine were reasonable.
“It’s really not that big a deal. Trust me. I know what I’m doing,” said Amanda, a senior and co-director who was convinced she knew everything because her rich daddy always got her small jobs on Broadway productions.
In one of the most remote areas of Long Island, New York, each is going to admirable extremes to outdo all others. Action is dictated by a self-interest so common it’s nearly indistinguishable in such a mix of status-seeking students with superiority complexes of all kinds. Hanover, most recognized as an exceptionally pastoral, ornate university harbors a universal egoism so very deeply embedded in the hearts and minds of its inhabitants.

“Bet you didn’t know we hadn’t had a female lead since the late nineteen-nineties,” I retorted, almost certain she didn’t.
She rolled her eyes
Ally smiled sweetly at me as if I were a child she took great pains tolerating. “I think it has less to do with sex of the roles and more to do with the complexity and depth of main leads. The genders sure don’t have anything to do with a well-developed plot. I’m sure it’s all just a very peculiar coincidence.”
My politeness was starting to become strained. I could feel the disrespect and contempt creeping into my tone and settling in my body language as I crossed my arms and raised my brows. It was just so hard to like her when she was dismissing me so easily. And I never find it hard to like people. Not really.
“These elements I think are very important to a successful production,” she said expertly. So deal with it, were her unspoken words.
“But--“
“And I think you’ll find I chose the play based on theme and feasibility more than anything. We’ve got dancers, singers, set designers…it is very difficult to find a play that can incorporate everything and keep it at a balance. It wasn’t easy coming to a decision. Now I know you were upset that your play wasn’t chosen, but I’m sure if you just give it a chance--“
“This isn’t about my play not being chosen,” I said tiredly. Something in her manner made me think she had been waiting for a chance to say that. “And I wasn’t upset.”
At that there was a soft snicker from way in the back.
“You are clearly delusional on both accounts,” was Leo Zachary’s remark. I gritted my teeth. God, I couldn’t stand him. I couldn’t stand actors in general…but I really couldn’t stand him. He was tall, lean and had black hair that fell into his eyes which…surprisingly, gave a sort of lax look to him. But he was anything but. He was sort of an ass. A rich, arrogant and spiteful ass. And he made sure everyone knew. He was so conceited and bigoted he could easily drown in his own narcissism.
Yeah…
I think I’d like that.

“No need for any of that today. We have a lot of work to do,” Ally cut in, clapping her hands together as if to get our attention. But I barely noticed her weak attempt at trying the diffuse the tension. No way was he getting in the last word.
“I don’t remember ever asking you for input,” I said, quickly dismissing him myself. No need to give him what he wanted. Which would be, and always will be, attention. I turned to my clipboard and scanned the names with my pen to begin marking down those who were absent.
But either Leo didn’t care, or he just really liked the sound of his own voice. Probably both.
“Now I could be mistaken,” his voice was soft in a way that made me want to shudder, and pitched slightly higher than the average male, but it was thick with malice. “but--God, who am I kidding? I’m absolutely positive…that none of us want to be bored to death by your incessant, and quite frankly, annoying complaints on behalf of an utterly irrelevant subject. And since I’m too young to die…would you just kindly…shut up?”
I looked up from my list and crossed my arms, glaring.
There were numerous sniggers amongst the students. I was, admittedly, slightly embarrassed. Why that idiot generally got so much support from a relatively intelligent and decent group of college students I’ll never know. Did they not see how much of a waste of air he was? My brain scrambled for a smart and equally sassy retort as I pinned him with my most irritated glare, searching for his smirking face in the darkness of the seating area out in front of me. He was sitting with all of the other actors and actresses of the show as far as I could see. An entire row of insurmountable egos.

I narrowed my eyes. “Last time I checked, I didn’t answer to you. Might come as a shock to you, but my opinion is just as important as anybody else’s. And what do you know about being relevant anway? You’re not nearly as significant as you pretend to be. Trust me on that.” I said, surprised by my own savageness.
He yawned. “Look, I’d really love to talk to you all day, Apple--”
Another round snickers. The clipboard felt as if it would snap under my grip. That--that--
“…but I uh…don’t want to. Maybe if you found some talent one day…”
Ally was sighing impatiently, now thoroughly aggravated at the lack of productivity the first day on the job. “Seven weeks, people!” she bellowed until the laughter died down.
Now so humiliated and irritated that I could only mumble an intelligible retort under my breath, I angrily shook my head and began calling out names.

“That was…nice. But could you say that again with a little more feeling this time?”
The small cast and crew had gathered in a small circle backstage. I rolled my eyes as the scrawny, blond boy next to me cleared his throat and politely obliged, repeating his line that to everyone but her had been perfectly delivered in his initial attempt.
“Nice job, Oliver. Next line,” IT said without looking up or even acknowledging that IT had, for the tenth time, interrupted a run-through like IT owned the place.
Clearly, the arrogant one here was her.
Okay, fine. I’m the arrogant one. But at least I know how to shut the hell up. The b**** can’t go three seconds without giving her two cents on something.
This incessant harassment of the cast continued until we were given a small break from the run-through of the script. At that point I was thoroughly exhausted and annoyed. Muttering indecencies under my breath, I made my way to the refreshment table at the foot of the stage. No sooner had I spotted Mason gorging himself on a powder donut.

“Hey,” he said, seeing me. Mason was one of the few people I trusted, and probably my best friend. He was a good-natured guy, and a good-looking one I’d say too if I wasn’t so homophobic. He was much more athletic than I was, so naturally he was rather built. He had that whole Edward Cullen thing going on with the big hair and the girly eyelashes. And if you looked closely, you’d see that his brown eyes had specks of hazel in them.
Not that I was, in any way, checking him out. I’m merely a keen observer of physical human characteristics.
Moving on.

“Congrats on getting the lead, man. Knew you would,” he said, one hand on the donut, the other slapping me on the chest.
I grinned. Oddly enough, he had gotten a very small part. And I, being the grand friend I was, found it my responsibility to rub it in. “Thanks, passerby number three. I knew I’d get it too.”
“Remind me never to compliment you again,” Mason replied dryly, chewing his last bits and swallowing them.
“Sure I won’t. That’d be too much work on my part. Not my fault God blessed me with outstanding talent and wasn’t as…generous with others.”
At this he smeared the white from the palms of his hands down the sleeves of my sweater. My eyes were wild as I shoved him away. He stumbled backward, guffawing.
“S***. Idiot, this is a thousand dollar Louis!”
He continued laughing as I contemplated throwing him one square in the face. Wouldn’t hurt him too much. Then again, he’d probably hit me back harder and I’d regret it.

She had crept up without either of us noticing. Her tone, as always, was sarcastic and patronizing. “Well, you know what they say. Never underestimate the power of stupid people with money.” She was slowly stirring her cup of coffee with a straw, her eyes downcast.
Ugh. Can’t she go play Nazi somewhere else? Preferably somewhere far like…maybe…the moon?
As if he hadn’t already annoyed the hell out of me already today, Mason nodded at her and had to hold his stomach to try and stifle his laughs. As April sipped at her drink, her lips gradually curled into a smirk.
I shot him a vicious glare. Some friend.

“That’s mean, Mason. Now you’ve gone and made her think she has some sort of appeal. I’m sorry. Let me clear that up for you,” I cleared my throat. “You’re not funny, you’re not nearly as intelligent as you think you are and you are most definitely not attractive in any way shape or form. But of course, you didn’t need me to tell you that, considering your track record with the boys is…well…nonexistent”
She rolled her eyes and stalked off.
“You’re welcome!” I called after her. The break was over. Mason’s laughter had long died.
Well, it was true. She was plainest of Plain Janes. Granted, you’d think some girls would at least try and hide that. But other than straggly blonde hair fixed up in a bun every single day, and a clean face adorned with dark eyes and slightly crooked lips, all she’s left with for charm is personality. And since that was out of the question, I’m afraid her romantic endeavors must’ve been severely limited.

Doing my best to pat myself free of the powder and even rolling up my sleeves a bit, I returned to my stool in the circle. April announced for the cast to continue. But other than that she was thoroughly subdued and did not speak once throughout the rest of it. I hid a smile, pleased.

I was bestowed a very, very pleasant view of the opening actress currently reading her line across from me. She hadn’t been out of my mind much—she’s always in there somewhere—but seeing her evoked very passionate thoughts and feelings from various areas of my body.
Mary Louise had stolen—and kept—my attention longer than any woman had the right to. She visited my thoughts more often than I cared to admit--and not just because she was beautiful, sexy and all things a man dreamed of. Or because of her petite, feminine figure and dark skin. Not even her hypnotic, green eyes or adorable pixie cut.
She was also smart, refined, talented and very difficult to fathom. An endless plethora of surprises.
Her eyes met mine, her face serene and unsmiling, and for a second I forgot who I was. Blinking rapidly, my brain cleared up enough that I was able to catch on and deliver my phrase when the time came.
I swear she does that on purpose. She loved to make me look like an idiot, didn’t she?

This book has 1 comment.

mkc2727 said...
on Aug. 21 2012 at 2:59 pm
mkc2727, Wilbraham, Massachusetts

"failure is impossible "
S.B.A

I love it so far, is there anymore.