Broken Butterflies

Author's note: My mother suffers from Lupus which is why I chose this disease for Wynter's character. The other...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My mother suffers from Lupus which is why I chose this disease for Wynter's character. The other part of Wynter, apart from her disease is based around me. Even the name, Wynter is my pen name and it fits her character quite perfectly. She has the self esteem problems I do and has the same yearning for love that I do.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

Chapter 5

The fifth period bell rings, it's time for lunch. Alexandra and Natalie give me that excited look, they know what's going to happen.

We make our way to the cafeteria and quickly find ourselves in the beginnings of a line, we're quickly in and then quickly out and then my eyes are scanning the room for Zane.

Blonde heads, brown hair, mohawks, then a black head calls out to me in the crowd. I look at the face but then meet the disappointment, the brown eyes look back at me puzzled.

My smile falls, I can't seem to find him. The one Australian hunk in the mass of American douchebags, and of course he's vanished. Natalie nudges my arm and I show her my saddened expression.

"Why do you look so sad?" she asks.

"I don't see Zane."

"Well, we'll find him. It's one room, he can't hide that well." she reassures me. Her and Alexandra walk with me to our table and then I spot him.

He's standing up against the wall, holding his tray in his hand, he's looking at the ground wondering what he's supposed to do. Natalie looks at me and smiles, gesturing me to approach him. It's my turn to freeze in confusion, I'm struck with uneasiness. I grip onto Alexandra's arm, holding it prisoner, she glances up at me and then quietly agrees.

We walk up to Zane and he greets us with a smile. "Hello Wynter, and umm...sorry I don't believe I've met you." he says looking at Alexandra.

"Oh, I'm Alexandra, but you can call me Alex." she replies.

"Well it's nice to meet you." he says.

"You too." Alex smiles back.

For a few moments we stand there awkwardly as I've forgotten the reason I approached him in the first place. Alex reminds me by nudging me in the arm, right on one of my rashy butterflies. I wince under the pain but still maintain a smile as my voice shakes before it gains strength. "Umm...Zane...I was...wondering..."

He looks at me intrigued.

"If maybe you would like to...sit with us for lunch."

His smile grows even bigger as he nods his head, "I would love you too."

I sigh a smile, "Ok. Come with us." He obeys and follows us to our table where Natalie is already eating and smiling teasingly.

When we sit down, Hudson and Elijah look taken aback. "Umm, Zane these are my other two friends, Hudson and Elijah. Guys, this is the foreign exchange student Zane Harvick."

"Uh how are you doing guys?" Zane greets them holding out his hand to shake. Hudson stands and grips his hand shaking, Elijah does the same.

"I'm fine man, so where exactly are you from?" Hudson asks.

"I'm from Australia."

"Oh shit, like where they had Finding Nemo?!" Elijah barks up. We erupt in laughter.

"Yea, that actually was around Sydney." Zane chuckles.

"Do you live near Sydney?" Natalie asks.

"Kind of, not really. I live in Wollongong, it's several miles south of Sydney but it's still along the coast. It's really nice and peaceful, my family has lived near their entire lives." he replies.

"So Zane, what do you like to do for fun?"Hudson asks. He's got that inquiring look in his eyes, he's drilling this guy.

"You know, the usual. I like to swim and surf, or at least try to surf. I've seen shelias do it 10 times better than I can. I just usually embarrass myself." He chuckles shamefully. "And I like to paint."

I smile at him and Natalie leans over. "You got a fave kind of paint?" she asks.

"Watercolor." he smiles at the table. "That's when art truly paints itself." he nods his head agreeing with himself.

Hudson scoffs with a smile on his face, he nudges Elijah and starts to mock Zane. They both laugh together but Zane doesn't notice, he's still in his faze. It's not until I poke him on the arm does he realize that he's in a cafeteria. He grins at me uneasy and I grip his shoulder.

He warms under my touch and I find it encouraging.

I find it making the future more encouraging.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

This book has 7 comments. Post your own now!

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely, amazing. I hope you continue it, but if not, that's fine. It's just your story is amazing. It's wonderful. It has so much emotion and it's full of you and the people you care for. It's wonderful. I hope you continue, because you have such a talent and I enjoyed reading it. You do have a talent and greatness in you; bealieve that, please. Thank you for sharing this, so much. 

albaschirinzi said...
Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:09 am
In my opinion, this story is a masterpiece! I really enjoyed it and the knowledge you have about the disease and the fact that the story is also very personal to you makes it more meaningful and realistic. Keep up the good work!

PeytonLovesHarryPotter said...
Hmmmm...... it's really good. However, here's a few pointers: Maybe slow the pace down a little bit with Zane, it's going too fast to be believable. Work on grammar and punctuation a bit, but it's not that bad. And last of all: CONTINUE IT! It's really good! I want more. :)

FallenAngel170198 said...
May 5, 2013 at 6:22 am
You should write some more :3 it's amazing :D

nanamay said...
so cool wright more.......it is peaceful...... :P

KJAngelAuthor said...
I agree with "nemish23"!!! You sound so knowledgeable about Lupis and it has a very personal feel to it. Please continue writing it!!!

nemish23 said...

This is a great start to a really good sounding story. I'd love to read more.

I love it when people write books that mean something to them because it brings so much meaning to a story so good job!