Broken Butterflies

Author's note: My mother suffers from Lupus which is why I chose this disease for Wynter's character. The other...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My mother suffers from Lupus which is why I chose this disease for Wynter's character. The other part of Wynter, apart from her disease is based around me. Even the name, Wynter is my pen name and it fits her character quite perfectly. She has the self esteem problems I do and has the same yearning for love that I do.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Chapter 4

"Well anyway, what's your name?" Zane asks me as we turn back to our own projects.

"I'm Wynter." I reply.

He grins at me, "I like that name."

I turn with a surprised look on my face, "You do?"

"Yea, it's unique...just like your beauty." He winks slightly at me and I silently stop breathing.

"Th-thank you." I choke on my own butterflies.

"So what are you working on?" Zane asks, totally changing the subject.

I sit back and show him my unfinished art piece. It's an ice skeleton girl with white hair and a raspy butterfly heart. There's burned ashes falling behind her. "It's just a sketch so far, I still have to paint it."

Zane takes his time looking it over, he makes "Oh" and "Ah" sounds and then nods as if he's understanding it. "It's really good." he finally says. "I don't think you should paint it." he adds.

"What do you mean?"

"Well it's an ash emotion picture, it should be left in pencil colors."

I have absolutley no idea what the hell he just said. "Ash emotion?"

"Yea, kind of burned out and hollow. It's fragile but yet it comes from a strong flame."

"And I shouldn't paint it?" I ask.

"No, it's perfect."

I smile at him and he smiles back.

"You're perfect." he adds.

I can't contain a giggle as I hide my blushing cheeks. I can't believe that he has me giggling like a schoolgirl, but I like it.

* * *

I stare at the board that has algebra problems covering it, strongly contrasting with my empty notebook paper. I just can't stop thinking about Zane. He's so awesome. I think about his eyes, his smile, his delicious accent that I know would make my name 5 stars if it ever uttered it. I wish I could taste that accent, as it came out of our lips.

The lips that would be folded with mine.

Because they're perfect.

Because he's perfect.

Because he thinks I'm perfect.

He actually thinks I'm.....perfect?!

Well...at least the outside layer.

But he did say that I was perfect...or was he just saying that?

"Hey!" Alexandra whispers as she pokes me in the back. "Why are you so distracted today?"

I turn my head slightly to where I can see her out of the corner of my eye, "Nothing, it's just...I'm tired."

"Mhmm." She doesn't believe me, I don't blame her. I'm a horrible liar. "Natalie told me about that Zane guy, I'm sure daydreaming about him has you real tired." she chuckles teasingly.

"I'm not daydreaming, I'm just....thinking strongly about him."

"Yyyyea. Very strongly..."

I reach around behind me and pinch her. "Oww!" she exclaims.

"There, think strongly about that." I say.

"Well anyway, maybe we should invite him to sit with us at lunch." she suggests.

"Yea, when I gather up the balls to do that I'll get back to you." I pull my sweater closer to my skin, it's really cold in here.

"Do you want me or Natalie to do it for you?"

"No, you could come with me though."

"Ok, I'll do that for you besh frand."

I smile in response, I love my friends.

The bell rings and I rush to gather my stuff and head out with Alexandra. I can't wait for lunchtime.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 7 comments. Post your own now!

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely, amazing. I hope you continue it, but if not, that's fine. It's just your story is amazing. It's wonderful. It has so much emotion and it's full of you and the people you care for. It's wonderful. I hope you continue, because you have such a talent and I enjoyed reading it. You do have a talent and greatness in you; bealieve that, please. Thank you for sharing this, so much. 

albaschirinzi said...
Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:09 am
In my opinion, this story is a masterpiece! I really enjoyed it and the knowledge you have about the disease and the fact that the story is also very personal to you makes it more meaningful and realistic. Keep up the good work!

PeytonLovesHarryPotter said...
Hmmmm...... it's really good. However, here's a few pointers: Maybe slow the pace down a little bit with Zane, it's going too fast to be believable. Work on grammar and punctuation a bit, but it's not that bad. And last of all: CONTINUE IT! It's really good! I want more. :)

FallenAngel170198 said...
May 5, 2013 at 6:22 am
You should write some more :3 it's amazing :D

nanamay said...
so cool wright more.......it is peaceful...... :P

KJAngelAuthor said...
I agree with "nemish23"!!! You sound so knowledgeable about Lupis and it has a very personal feel to it. Please continue writing it!!!

nemish23 said...

This is a great start to a really good sounding story. I'd love to read more.

I love it when people write books that mean something to them because it brings so much meaning to a story so good job!