Broken Butterflies

Author's note: My mother suffers from Lupus which is why I chose this disease for Wynter's character. The other...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My mother suffers from Lupus which is why I chose this disease for Wynter's character. The other part of Wynter, apart from her disease is based around me. Even the name, Wynter is my pen name and it fits her character quite perfectly. She has the self esteem problems I do and has the same yearning for love that I do.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Chapter 2

I can hear the alarm clock, but I'm not going to hear it. I don't want to get up, I'll be so tired throughout the day. Even if I had a full 9 hours of sleep. It's one of the joys of having my disease. But as far as anyone is concerned, I don't have a disease, I'm just a sickly weak person.

No one except my family and my VERY close friends know about it's existence. My mom has always wondered why I never tell anyone, but I just don't. I don't want to admit that I'm sick. I don't want
The idea of Spencer and his artistic abilities came from my best friend Brittney :D
the attention, negative, that I know would come if anyone knew about the butterflies.

The gross butterflies.

The flaky wings.

The red bodies.

The disease that spreads all over me.

I never want anyone to know about it, unfortuantley there's no cure so I just hide it from the world. I limp around and weave stories of pulled muscles, limbs still in slumber, etc. It's no surprise that I have never had a boyfriend, they all probably think I have some weird STD or something. I can't decide which is worse, people finding out the truth or believing the rumors.

I rise from the warm confines of my bed and immediatley the cold air finds me. I stretch and feel the soreness in my bones but I'm used to it; I can hear their distant creaking. I go to my closet and pull out my favorite purple sweater, usually people look at me weird when I wear winter clothes year round but since it's the beginning of October, I shouldn't look to out of place. I grab a black pair of skinny jeans to wear with it and a pair of converses. The mirror shows me how tired I look and feel, my ash blonde hair is limp and lifeless. My pale skin looks sullen and almost has a bluish tint to it. I take my little army of makeup and quickly powder away the fatigue, I throw on a little bit of light blue eyeshadow and decide to take a risk and give my lips a little color. A small swipe of light pink, partenerd with a few dots of dark purple and my lips look almost beautiful. I look at my face and decide that I look almost beautiful, I brush out my hair and shake it a little bit to finish waking it up and surprisingly it decides to work with me too. It frames my delicate face perfectly, making it look even more pale but I don't care. I like the way I look today and after a spritz of perfume and a brush on my teeth I feel a new sense of confidence.

I go downstairs and find my mom putting a plate of eggs and bacon next to a purple mug of coffee. My favorite breakfast.

"Hey hun, did you sleep well?" she asked in the honey-sweet voice. She always has reminded me of the moms on ABC Family movies, the Betty Crocker Homemakers.

"I slept fine, thanks for breakfast." I don't waste anytime taking the fork and stabbing it into my food. The coffee tastes so good sliding down my throat, it warms me and makes me happy.

"Your welcome dear." she kisses me on the top of the head. "Well don't you look nice today? You warm enough?" she jokes with me, chuckling fully.

"Haha, and thank you for complimenting and then insulting me." I say and she laughs.

"Oh you know I love you. Now hurry up and eat so Spencer can take you to school."

"Aww mom! Why does Spence have to take me? Why can't you take me?!" I really didn't want my 19 going on 12 year old brother to take me, it never ended well.

"Oh Wynter, you'll be ok. He's a grown man, and plus he's heading up to town anyway. It really doesn't make sense for me to waste gas and drive you when Spencer is already going somewhere. Now quit whining and eat your breakfast." she walks out of the kitchen and leaves me to groan.

"Why? Why me?" I thought. My brother Spencer is a 3-week art school dropout that thinks that a successful life is living with his parents and playing video games. He's the biggest idiot I have ever met in my life and he never fails to prove me wrong, especially now as he stumbles down the stairs in Sugar Daddy pajama pants and a wife-beater.

I take one look at him and mentally cry, "You can't be serious?"

"What?" he says looking down at himself. "It's not like I'm getting out of the car anyway. Are you ready to go yet?" he walks over to the table and takes a swig of my coffee, grossing me out.

"Yes, just let me take my medicine, and by the way thanks for infecting my coffee cup." I get and go over to the cabinet where the medicine is.

"Your welcome, consider it a token of sibling affection." I hear Spencer say.

"Oh I could only be so lucky." I reply as I pop my pills, the pills that are supposed to fix me.

I grab my backpack and follow my brother out to his 60's Volkswagen Beetle, about the only good thing he ever did.

I feel my eyes are still heavy, but I ignore them. I feel beautiful, and I want to stay awake to enjoy this confidence.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 7 comments. Post your own now!

MissEmilyDickinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is absolutely, amazing. I hope you continue it, but if not, that's fine. It's just your story is amazing. It's wonderful. It has so much emotion and it's full of you and the people you care for. It's wonderful. I hope you continue, because you have such a talent and I enjoyed reading it. You do have a talent and greatness in you; bealieve that, please. Thank you for sharing this, so much. 

albaschirinzi said...
Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:09 am
In my opinion, this story is a masterpiece! I really enjoyed it and the knowledge you have about the disease and the fact that the story is also very personal to you makes it more meaningful and realistic. Keep up the good work!

PeytonLovesHarryPotter said...
Hmmmm...... it's really good. However, here's a few pointers: Maybe slow the pace down a little bit with Zane, it's going too fast to be believable. Work on grammar and punctuation a bit, but it's not that bad. And last of all: CONTINUE IT! It's really good! I want more. :)

FallenAngel170198 said...
May 5, 2013 at 6:22 am
You should write some more :3 it's amazing :D

nanamay said...
so cool wright more.......it is peaceful...... :P

KJAngelAuthor said...
I agree with "nemish23"!!! You sound so knowledgeable about Lupis and it has a very personal feel to it. Please continue writing it!!!

nemish23 said...

This is a great start to a really good sounding story. I'd love to read more.

I love it when people write books that mean something to them because it brings so much meaning to a story so good job!