The choice | Teen Ink

The choice

By Mariah21 GOLD, Hohenwald, Tennessee
Mariah21 GOLD, Hohenwald, Tennessee

I'm not scared of anything anymore, not even death. The only thing i'm scared of is losing you...

Once upon a time, far away and quite a while ago there was a princess and her best friend the huntsman’s daughter. Ever since they were toddlers, the princess, Devin, and her best friend, Jen, had spent almost every summer together. Even after the summer passed, they still found ways to get out of their chores to go have adventures. After Devin’s royal studies and Jen’s huntswoman training, they would spend the end of the day trying to find some way to get into trouble. While Devin’s brother, Prince Angelo, tried to find ways to keep them from getting into too much chaos. He probably knew more about those two than anyone in the kingdom.

As the girls grew older, Devin grew into an elegant young woman and Jen into a strong young warrior, the first girl to be accepted into the royal army. No one would have ever thought Jen would get into the army, let alone become General. At age 21, Devin was supposed to meet her prince for an arranged marriage, but the prince will have to prove himself worthy of her. Even with all these changes the girls remained close.

On the outside, Devin was calm and happy when she met her prince, Lucas, but on the inside, she had this overwhelming feeling of dread.

Lucas came up to her, grabbed her hand, knelt down, and said, “Hello, my love, what a gratifying experience to meet you at last.” He kissed her hand, and an unpleasant feeling rose from her stomach.

She could barely speak audibly to say, “It’s lovely to meet you as well, my prince.”

This meeting didn’t last long, and the only other thing discussed in this mildly awkward meeting, was the first way the prince would have to prove himself to get the princesses hand in marriage. He would have to prove his skills as a man. Devin was to go into the Fairy’s Wood, and find a place to hide, where she wouldn’t easily be found. Devin would be released at dawn the next day, and Lucas would be released in 3 hours later to try and find her. If he didn’t find her by nightfall he had failed. He would have to achieve at least 2 out of 3 challenges to get her hand.

At first light the next morning, Devin started off into the Fairy’s Wood. She knew exactly where she would hide. It was a secret place in the woods. It was the meadow where she and Jen would go every summer night to watch the stars and talking about life. As Devin thought back to the last summer, and the question of why they had never talked about guys, or getting married, even though they both knew Devin would have a prince coming for her. Then Devin’s mind started to drift to more confusing thoughts as she walked on the invisible trail. It drifted to the last night of summer.

The moon was full, and the stars were sparkling in the sky. Devin’s brownish red hair wasn’t as prim and proper as a princess’s hair should be. It was down, and just a wave of messy curls. While Jen beside her, had all her blonde hair pushed behind her ears, perfect and straight. That’s when it happened. Jen looked at Devin with her silvery blue eyes, and smiled a smile that was truly happy. A smile she only ever shared with Devin. With no words spoken between them, Devin didn’t know what to do. It felt like the perfect moment. She felt an urge to tell Jen how she felt right then, right there, with her. Along with the overwhelming feeling to kiss Jen, she couldn’t comprehend anything, she just froze. Jen saw something was wrong. Her smile faded, and she gave Devin her space. Even though they were farther apart in space, Jen still managed to have a comforting hold on Devin’s hand.

Even in the present, Devin was still battling with her emotions, because she had always had passing thoughts, but never a moment like that. She hadn’t noticed, but she had entirely walked past the opening to the meadow, and continued to walk toward the deepest, darkest part of the woods. She finally noticed once all the light was gone, and there were not more openings in the tree tops. The only thing illuminating the woods now was the enchanted mushrooms.

By this time it had been a little over 3 hours since Devin left, and Lucas had started his search. Little did he know, it would be hard enough to find someone who was hiding, and even harder to find someone who was actually lost. He had blood hounds trying to track the scent, but 2 hours into the search, they lost the scent, and started going every which way. Lucas was on his own now in the middle of the woods.

At the time the search started, Devin had gotten lost. She walked around aimlessly for about an hour trying to find out where she was, and then she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned around hoping to see a familiar face. Instead, she found a branch tugging at her dress. She detached and continued walking. Within the next hour this happen again, but it was still just a branch. Only a few minutes later, she felt another tug. She tried to pull away. As she did she waited for the sound of her dress to tear, but the pressure on her shoulder never let up. She turned around and this time it wasn’t a tree branch, an old weathered hand. Before she could see this strangers face or ask who it was, as second had come up, and silver powder was blown in her face.

Lucas had searched all throughout the forest for the whole day. He came out as the sun began to set empty handed, with no princess. Jen was waiting by the woods hoping to see and greet her friend, but when she saw Lucas come out of the woods alone, worry spread across her face. Devin had never spent the whole night out in the woods by herself.

Jen came up to him, and even though he was bigger, at that moment in time she was far more intimidating, and she asked, “Where is Devin?”

Lucas said, “I don’t know. I couldn’t find her. There was no trace of her. The trail was lost.”

“What do you mean no trace? Are you just gonna leave her out there for the whole night? You don’t even know if she’s okay! What’s wrong with you? You’re supposed to be a top notch prince!” Jen stomped off to the stables to get her sword and her horse, before Lucas could answer any questions or defend his manhood. Lucas gaped at her as she rode off into the woods, without a sign of fear on her face.

Devin woke up in a remote cabin, rustically decorated. It had no windows, only one bed which Devin was laying on, and one table with two chairs, one on each end. In one of the chairs sat the old man. His face was covered in wrinkles, and there was no sign his hair had been any color other than gray. He had a small bottle in his spindly hands, and he was twiddling it between his fingers. As Devin got out of the bed, it creaked, and he turned around. His eyes looked iced over. He was blind, but he stared straight at Devin.

He blinked once and said, “Come over here, and sit with me my child.” He patted the side of the table with the vacant chair. Devin walked over to the chair and sat down. His eyes never left her, and the bottle never left his hands. “What brings you into these woods to get lost? A girl like you should be home, being protected by your husband.”

Devin replied, “I don’t have a husband, and that’s why I was in the woods. A prince who was supposed to find me before nightfall never did. I don’t think I really wanted him to find me in the first place. I am supposed to marry him if he completes 2 out of 3 challenges, but I don’t think I want to. I don’t know why, it just seems wrong.”

“So you just wanted to be left out here for the whole night? Is he a bad man? Is that why you wouldn’t want to marry him? Do you love someone else?”

“No, I didn’t want to be left out here. I was going to wait at a place that only me and my friend, Jen, know about. He isn’t bad at all. He seems like a sweet guy. It just makes me sick to think about being with him. I don’t know how I feel. I don’t know if I could ever love him.”

“Hmmm… take this,” the old man handed her the bottle. It had a small amount of a red solution. “It’s the blood of the Yggdrasil tree, the tree of life. If ever something happens to someone you care about, like death or incurable sickness, this will bring them back from anything, in complete health. This is only enough for one person. Be careful with it. It is very rare. Don’t make the decision to marry the prince too hastily, if it doesn’t feel right, it’s for a reason.” He stood up and started to walk toward the door, and Devin was deep in thought. “Are you coming? I’ll take you to the place you will meet your friend.” Devin stood up and started walking toward the door.
As she did, she said, “Mister… how will I know if I love or am in love with someone?”
“That’s something I can’t answer. You have to look inside yourself, and get advice from someone who knows you better than a blind old man from the woods.”
“Exactly who are you?”
“Somebody only known in youngsters’ fairytales. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” He started to walk out the door, and Devin followed.
“I would believe you. Fantasy is far more believable than a lot of things in reality”
“I am the Wise Oak, from the Fairy’s Wood. I am the wisest of all the sprites, I control nature, and help lost travelers go on their merry way.”
Devin didn’t say anything after that. She was just in shock. She followed the old man in silence, and half way to the meadow, she noticed she still had the little bottle in her hand. She put it in her secret pocket, which she had personally sewn into her dress.

It was about an hour into the woods when Jen reached the meadow with her trusty steed. Devin didn’t seem to be there, but Jen decided to wait. Hoping that Devin knew if she came to the meadow Jen would be waiting to make sure she was okay. Jen couldn’t stop pacing around the perimeter. The only other time she had even got remotely this worried was when Devin fell out of a tree into a pond and broke her leg, and to add to that Devin couldn’t swim at the time. Jen had to dive into the water, and drag Devin out, and then run to go get help once she was on the shore.
As Jen waited, Devin was almost to the entrance of the meadow. She had followed the old man safely out of the dangerous depths of the woods. She was starting to find familiar places, and beginning to know where she was at. Finally, the old man stopped a few paces before the entrance.
“Is this the meadow you talked about?” he asked.
“Yes, it is. How did you know?”
“Because it is the only one which has a worried waiting in it. They’ve been waiting almost ever since we left from the cabin. They must really care about you.”
“They’ve been waiting for a whole hour? Thank you for showing me the way.”
“It’s my job to show you the way, and it was a pleasure to meet you, Princess Devin.”

Devin had started walking toward the entrance when he said this. She turned around and said, “You know I’m the princess?” He wasn’t behind her when she turned around. He was nowhere to be seen.

She turned back toward the entrance, and tried to put the thought of the mysterious old man out of her mind. When she walked into the meadow, she found Jen sitting in the grass, nervously plucking at flowers. Devin walked a little further into the meadow. Jen must have sensed her presence, because she turned around, and jumped up when she saw Devin. She rushed toward Devin and enveloped her in a hug.
“Devin, you’re okay…” Jen said in a whimper as she buried her face into Devin’s shoulder.
Devin just held Jen and said, “Hey, it’s okay. Nothing to worry about. No injuries. Just calm down. I’m safe now.”
“Where were you?”
“I just got a little lost.”
“Don’t ever do that to me again. Be more careful, please… It makes me worry too much to think of something happening to you…”
“I wouldn’t do it on purpose. You know that.”
“I know…” Jen finally let go of Devin, and she had tears running down her face. “Let’s go back to the castle.” She started to walk toward her horse.
“Wait Jen… why are you crying? I’m safe?”
“That’s why I’m crying, because you’re safe. I’m so glad that you’re safe that I’m crying, and if that prince ever leaves you in danger again, I’ll kill him with my own bare hands.” She got on the horse’s back and waited for Devin.
Devin got on the horse and said, “I’m not even sure I want to marry him…”
Jen said, “You don’t have to marry him. You don’t have to be a princess.” She started riding toward the castle before Devin could respond.
They got back to the castle before the sun rose. Jen stayed in the stables, while Devin went and got cleaned up. She removed the bottle form her secret pocket of one dress to her clean one. She fell asleep for the rest of the night and early morning, with too many thoughts in her mind. She wondered why Jen reacted so emotionally lately. Ever since that summer night, there’s been lingering feelings, and Jen’s been more sensitive. Then what Jen had said, seemed to have a hidden meaning. ‘You don’t have to marry him. You don’t have to be a princess.’ She just couldn’t pick out what she meant.

The next day, she went into her father’s chambers. They discussed the second trial. It was going to be a trial of empathy. It would be something Devin had only ever seen Jen do in the Fairy’s Wood.
They had found an injured unicorn in the Fairy’s Wood. Devin had stayed with the suffering animal which had been caught in a poachers trap. The unicorns had become a rare creature because of the poachers. Jen had ran for help in the town surrounding the castle. Jen had brought a group of men who had studied in the medical field. Even though the men tried to help, the unicorn would squeal and thrash about anytime they came near him.
Finally they seemed to give up on the injured creature, but Jen tried her best to make the men stay. They wouldn’t so Jen grabbed the med kit herself, and went straight over to the beast. It tried to thrash and kick, but as soon as Jen placed her hand on him, the creature calmed down. It was like there was some hidden connection. All the men’s faces showed shock and awe, and Jen eventually healed the unicorn of all his wounds. In this time she had gave this unicorn a name, Centennial. Centennial would never let anyone near him, not even now, except for Jen, and sometimes Devin only when Jen was around though.
The prince would have to be able to rid Centennial, and that was something Jen could barely do. She tried to get Centennial to let Devin ride with her on his back, and both of them were bucked off. That evening after the meeting was when everything was set up for the prince. Many people came from the town around the castle to see just what would happen.
Jen had let Centennial loose in a big field, and she left his saddle and bridle in the field too. Devin was in the front of the crowd with Jen, waiting to see what would happen. Lucas came out, and didn’t give a second glance toward Jen or the Devin. He went straight up to Centennial, and petted him. Centennial had barely stirred. Lucas grabbed the saddle and bridle, and put them both on the unicorn. He feed Centennial a sugar cube, and hopped on to his back. That seemed just way too easy. Something wasn’t right, but he had passed the trial, and that was all anyone cared about. The crowd cheered and Jen walked over to Centennial, and made Lucas get off. She guided Centennial back to the stable and Lucas came over to Devin.
Lucas said, “Only one more trial left.”
Devin replied, “Yeah, I know.”
“Isn’t it great? One more challenge and you’ll be mine.” He kissed her cheek and walked away. Devin herself couldn’t walk away. She was frozen with disgust. Did he really think that he possibly marrying her gave her the right to kiss her in any way? She walked off to the stable.
She found Jen and asked, “How did he do that?”
“He used a sort of intoxicant that makes animals relax. He put it in the sugar cube, but your father didn’t put any guidelines on how he would show empathy. So this is allowed. It’s not right, but he succeeded in his trial.” Jen responded.
“I’m sorry he put Centennial through that.”
“It’s fine. Centennial will be back to his untrusting self in a few hours.”
“What are you gonna do till then?”
“I was hoping I could talk to you about something…”
“What?”
“I’ll tell you if we go to a place we can’t be spied on by your prince. He’s been following you around like a lost puppy”
“Is here not a good place?” Devin opened her arms to the stable, just as Lucas walked in.
“Yeah, it’s not a good place at all when people can just walk in.” Jen started to walk out of the stables. Not wanting to be in the same room as the prince. Devin pushed past him to follow Jen.
“So where are we going?”
“The garden. That is, if you still have the key to the gate.”
“Yeah, but it’s in my room. I’ll go get it. Just go wait at the gate.” Devin ran up to her room as fast as possible, wondering what Jen could possible want to talk to her about. She had to ruffle through a few drawers before she found the key. She was just about to go out into the hallway, but when she opened the door Lucas was waiting for her.
“My love, I cannot stand to be apart from you any longer. I want to hold you in my arms, and be with you now.” Lucas said as he barged into her room, and tried to grab her waist. He failed as she spun out of his reach.
“What do you think you’re doing? I’m not yours, don’t touch me! Understand this, I would never choose to marry you. I’m doing this for my kingdom. I was hoping if you passed your last trial we could end up being friends, but you can’t act like an over confident fool. That will not happen anytime in the near future, if ever, so don’t even think about it. Don’t even think about kissing me!” Devin rushed out of the room after she said that, and outside to the garden.
Jen saw her coming and said, “Took you long enough. Did you get lost in your closet or something?”
“No, I was ambushed by the fabulous Prince Lucas. He tried to seduce me in a forceful way. It wasn’t effective in any way, except to make me mad.” Devin replied. A look of jealousy flashed for a second across Jen’s face, and then she regained her composure.
“Come on let’s hurry up and get into the garden before he finds you again.”
Devin opened up the gate and said, “We’re in.” They both walked in and Devin closed and locked the door behind them. Jen continued to walk toward the center of the garden where there was a fountain and benches. Devin followed her. “So what do you want to talk to me about?”
“I need to tell you something important, but I don’t know how to start.”
“Jen, you should know by now you can tell me anything. We’re best friends. Why don’t you just say it, don’t look for the right words.”
“Devin… I think… I’m in love with you… Ever since that night this summer, I saw the way you looked at me. I’ve felt that feeling before, just never that strongly. I know you felt it to, but I don’t know what you think. I’ve only ever had that feeling when I’ve been with you. It’s just that night was when I realized what that feeling was,” Jen’s straw blonde hair fell in her face and tears started to well in her eyes, “I don’t want you to be with the prince. I want you to be with me…”
“Oh Jen, I have to marry the prince if he goes through and completes the last trial. That’s what my father agreed to before I was born. I don’t know exactly how I feel… All I know is that, I did realize something that summer night, but I’m not sure what… I’m still trying to figure all this out… I do care about you so much, but I need sometime alone to think… I’m so confused right now.” Devin walked out of the garden leaving the gate open for Jen who was still standing in the center of the garden. Devin went up to her room as soon as she could, and buried her face into a pillow. The emotions battling inside her heart for Jen, her kingdom, and what was right, were confusing her mind.

It was late that night when she heard a knock on her door. She didn’t answer, and a minute or 2 later her brother came in and sat beside her. Angelo didn’t say anything for a while he just said their. Eventually Devin pulled her head from the pillow that had become wet from her tears. She looked up at her brother, who somehow always knew when she was in need of help.
He looked at her and said, “Did something happen between you and Jen, cause the only time you’re like this is when you to had a fight. Plus Jen is all upset, too, so what happened?”
“I don’t know what’s happened. All these feelings for Jen I’m having are confusing me. I know I care about her more than a friend. I always have, but I’m supposed to marry the prince. I’m not sure if what I’m feeling for Jen is love or what. I’m supposed to fall in love with a guy, not my best friend.”
“I’ve watched you and Jen grow up together, and I’ve seen you go through good times and bad. You guys always come through. Neither of you ever let the other one fall, without grabbing their hand, so they could take you with them. Tell me what have you always thought you would want in a prince?”
“I’ve always wanted someone who really cared, who was patient, who would save me from anything, who made me feel safe with just a look, who I could talk to for hours, and someone who loved me and I loved in return.”
“How many of those qualities does Jen have?”
“All of them and so much more.”
“I’ve seen how you two affect each other. You’re always there for each other. Deep down I know you know what your heart wants, and when it comes to the moment when you have to choose, you need to follow your heart. You don’t have to marry the prince, but you do need to be happy. It’s okay to love another girl. I’ve seen the way you look at Jen. I know she at least has part of your heart, and you have all of hers. She’d do anything for you Devin, as long as you’re happy.”
“Why do you know everything I don’t?”
“Because, I’m your older brother. I have to make sure I lead you the direction of the right choice, but in the end it is your choice. I’ve always kept you out of trouble. You and Jen both, I should know what goes on between you two. Oh, by the way, Dad wants to see you to talk about the third challenge.”
“Okay, tell him I’ll be there in a few minutes. I have to change, and look descent, not like a mess. Thanks for the insight.”

She went to get changed, and again she switched dresses, and put the bottle of Yggdrasil blood in the dress she was wearing. When she went to her father’s chambers, they discussed the last trial. Devin thought she had found the perfect thing that the prince would fail at.
“Father, I think we should have a trial of fighting skills. Lucas fighting against Jen.” Devin said. Jen was the best fighter, that’s why she was General of the Army.
The king replied with, “That seems like a magnificent idea. That is what we shall do. What a brilliant daughter you are.”
That day, the training arena had been set up for the fight. Devin hadn’t seen Jen all day, but Angelo had told her that she had agreed to the fight. It was near noon before everything was finally cleaned from the training area, and the weapon stands had been put up. Jen came in a little after noon to practice, she avoided Devin’s eyes, and a little after 1 o’clock Lucas came in and warmed up. By 2 o’clock, they were both primed and ready, and the fight was going to start soon. Devin couldn’t let Jen go out there being mad or sad because of her. Devin went to the stables where Jen was putting on her armor. Devin waited at the door way until Jen turned around.
When she finally did, Devin said, “Jen… can we talk…”
“I don’t know. Are you gonna tell me to forfeit so you and your prince can be together, because I was gonna do that anyway.”
“Please don’t forfeit,” Devin came closer to Jen and said, “Jen, win this for me. I love you so much, and being with the prince wouldn’t make me happy. Being with you would. You’re more than my best friend, you’re my soul mate. I want and need to have you in my life, and if I have a choice to have you as more than a friend, that’s the choice I’m going to make.”
Jen didn’t say anything. She just came up to Devin, wrapped her arms around her, and gave her a simple, sweet kiss. Jen let go of her after that, and told her, “You might want to go, before people start to worry why you’re not cheering on your prince.” Devin gave her one last kiss that she wished would last forever before she left.

Devin went back to the training arena, where a crowd had already started to form. Devin quickly made her way to the front of the mob. The match didn’t start for another few minutes, but when it finally did, it looked like a one sided fight. Lucas was at least 6 inches taller and twice as wide, but he seemed way too confident. While Jen was this small, fair girl, but if you knew anything about the army you’d know this was more than a fair fight. It started with Jen and Lucas choosing their weapons. Lucas chose first, he decided to get the biggest sword he could get his hands on. It was almost as tall has him, and at least a foot wide. Jen, however, decided to go with one small sword, and since hers was very small in comparison to his, they let her pick another weapon. She chose a bow that came with three arrows.

The fight started when a trumpet was blown. Jen went straight for him, but his sword was way bigger than her. She couldn’t get close enough to him to strike, so she went with her bow. She aimed the first arrow at his body, but he blocked it with the sword. For the second one she tried his feet, but he moved quickly enough to where she would miss. While she was trying to load the last arrow, he came rushing towards her, and knocked the bow and arrow out of her hands. She couldn’t get her sword out in time to block his swings, so she had to improvise and dodge him. He seemed to have more stamina than her, and Jen was getting worn out.

Then he started to land some hits, and a few minutes later she was on the ground bleeding everywhere. He was above her ready to strike, but that’s when the third arrow went straight through his heart. Everyone looked to the side of the crowd. It was Devin who shot the arrow, and the bow was still in her hands as she watched Lucas fall to the ground, dead. As soon as the thud of him hitting the ground echoed through the arena, she dropped the bow and rushed over to Jen.

Jen was starting to grow pale, the color was fading from her face and lips, but her eyes were still alive. Even with her body lying there bleeding out, her soul had just begun to truly live. Jen knowing that Devin had saved her had meant the world, and she knew Jen really loved her. Jen could feel herself dying.
She could feel her heart start to slow, and the life force leaving her, so with her last breath she said, “Devin… I will always love you.”
One single, lonely tear trailed down Jen’s face as Devin said, “Please, don’t leave me now…” Then Devin kissed her, just as her eyes closed, and her heart stopped.
Devin couldn’t just let this happen, but people started pulling her away from Jen’s body. She tried to scream no, but all that came out were sobs. She pulled against everyone, but to no avail. Finally, she just let them drag her away. Her father told them to lock her in her room for murder, and treason. He had told them he would decide her fate later

Sometime around midnight, Devin was crying into her pillow, and her brother came in.
Angelo stayed by the door way and said, “Devin, come on, I have to get you out of here. Father is going to sentence you to death.”
“I’m not going to leave until I see Jen one last time. I have to…” she said as she felt around in her pocket for the bottle, “If I don’t, death would be a gift, compared to staying alive.”
“If I take you to the morgue to see her, you’ll leave, won’t you? You’ll ride on horseback away from here, right?”
“Bring Centennial, and I’ll ride on him away from her. I promise, just leave him at the exit of the morgue for me.”
“Okay, fine, just hurry. We don’t have much time.”
They hurried down through the castle as quietly as possible, and through the town. The morgue was at the edge of the city. Angelo knocked on the morgues door, and convinced the mortician to let her see Jen’s body, while he went to go get Centennial. Devin convinced him to leave her alone with Jen’s corpse. As soon as the mortician left, Devin pulled out the bottle of Yggdrasil blood. She held Jen’s mouth open, and poured in the liquid until none was left in the tiny bottle. She waited a few minutes, but nothing happened. Just as she was about to turn around and leave, Jen coughed.
“Jen, you’re alive.” Devin said.
Jen coughed a few more times and said, “I thought I was dead. Everything went black. What happened, and where are we?”
“Ok, how to explain this? Ummm, you did die, for a few hours, but that day I got lost in the woods an old man gave me this herbal medicine that could bring one person back to life. I have to leave this kingdom now, because my father was going to kill me tomorrow. I wasn’t going to leave without trying to bring you back to life. I’m sorry I put you through all of this. I love you.”
Jen got off the mortician’s table, wrapped her arms around Devin, and said, “You came back for me, so don’t be sorry. I would give my life for you any day, because I love you. All I have to say is, where ever you’re going you better take me with you.”

“I wouldn’t think of going anywhere without you.” She kissed Jen then grabbed her hand and led her to the back exit where Angelo and Centennial were waiting.
Angelo’s eyes grew big as he said, “Jen! You’re alive! How?”
Jen looked at Devin, and said, “Devin saved me with her magic potion. I may still be a bit scratched up, but I’m alive. Alive and in love, that’s all that matters.”
“So are you two both leaving?”
“Yeah, if I stay here, I’m gonna get killed. Like you said, Father was going to sentence me to death. Plus, I want to live a life free of rules and judgments placed on me. I want to be able to live my life with Jen in peace. I can’t do that here.” Devin told her brother.
“I can’t help, but to go with her.” Jen said.
“I’m gonna miss you two, but you got to do what you got to do.” Angelo said, while handing over Centennial’s reins to Jen.
Jen helped Devin onto Centennial’s back first, and for once, he let her. Then she got on.
“So where is our destination princess?” Jen said.
“You can go anyplace we can be together, as long as it’s not here, and it’s just Devin. I’m not a princess anymore, and it’s not like you ever called me princess any way.”
“Well, let’s go to Traversdale then. It’s outside your fathers reign, and nobody really cares who does what in that town. It’s like a big free for all. It’s its own town, under its own government. So as long as we stay out of trouble there, we’ll be able to live there for a long time”
“That sounds nice, so what are we waiting for?” Jen whipped the reins back, and Centennial went into a full gallop, heading straight for Traversdale

That morning at the castle, the king sentenced his daughter to death, but when the guards went to retrieve Devin, she was nowhere to be found. For a few years, there was an all-out search for the princess, but she was outside the kingdom before they could’ve ever caught up with her and Jen. After that fiasco in the castle, the morgue reported Jen’s body missing. Nobody in the kingdom would ever really know what happen except for Angelo. The mortician would only ever know half of the story. He thought Devin had taken Jen’s body, but he never told anyone about that.
In the end, Jen became a blacksmith’s apprentice in the town of Traversdale, and eventually would become a blacksmith. The best blacksmith that town had seen for years. Devin on the other hand became a simple nanny, mostly because she knew if she was going to be with Jen, she would never have her own children. A few years had passed since they were in the town, when a young woman had died. She had no husband to take care of her two children, a boy and a girl, so Devin and Jen took them in and raised them as their own.
They raised the children well, and gave them all the life lesson’s they would ever need. They grew older and older, and watched their children ultimately have their own children. They aged, but their love never did. They lived out their lives together, the way they always should have. They lived them out in love, and happily. Neither of them could have asked for more.

This book has 1 comment.

on May. 26 2012 at 4:42 am
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

Um. Ok. Wow.

That story was not really what I expected. When I first read the words "Princess Devin" I thought it would be some sort of fairytale- cause I love fairytales- but boy, was I wrong!

I love the twist you've put in this book. It certainly creates for an interesting and intriguing plot.

If you want some advice, I'd advise you check your grammar - sometime you use their instead of there- and stuff like that. Also try to vary your sentence structure a bit, at some places it sounded rather ... stiff (I don't know how else to explain it)

But other than that, it was great and I can't wait to read more stories sometime soon!

<3