The Apple Princess

Author's note: Ever since I was a little girl, I've always loved my collection of Fairy Tales. This is a gift to...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Ever since I was a little girl, I've always loved my collection of Fairy Tales. This is a gift to all those little girls who love them as much as I do.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Prologue

I steered my horse over the last ridge, and reined him to a stop, his chest heaving in exertion. We were so close. I could feel it. Hund whined and circled around us, sniffing furiously, his moist nose digging into the soil. I waited, trusting in his instincts to find me my princess. After a moment, he stiffened; paw pointing toward the darkest part of the forest in front of us. With a bark he bounded forward eagerly. I dug my heels into my mount and we followed.
We raced down the trails at a furious pace, avoiding low-hanging branches and brambles on either side. Ahead of me, the trail opened up, and I saw the clearing I had seen so many times in my dreams. I saw several short men clustered in a circle, and with a start, realized they were standing around a glass coffin. I slid to a stop and walked my horse forward, hand resting automatically on my sword hilt. The leader of the dwarves scuttled to my side, bowing and polishing his glasses on his beard, his eyes downcast, face grave.
“You came too late, my Prince,” he proclaimed sadly, and his shoulders slumped with grief. “Snow White is dead.”

nemish23 said...
May 18, 2012 at 5:22 am:

OMG!

This. Is. Awesome.

I love fairytales! Who doesn't love to believe that there's a Prince Charming out there for all of us?

The way that you wrapped all the little points of the story up were amazing. I escpecially loved the work with the mirrors (reference to "mirror mirror on the wall" - I'm so proud I got that, but it's really smart!!!)

And the link to Rapunzel at the end just topped off an absolutely brilliant story. I hope you write more fairytales, that wa... (more »)

Cantrella replied...
May 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm :
Wow, thanks for your compliments :) I really appreciate that :) I would love to write more fairy tales - was thinking of just covering all the princes. do you have any suggestions? 

nemish23 replied...
May 21, 2012 at 1:58 am :

I love the idea of writing stories for all the princes!

Personally, I think the story of Beauty and the Beast would be interesting- how the prince became the beast and whatnot. Cinderella may also be interesting, with the prince's quest to find the foot that fitted the glass slipper.

I don't know, I'm sure you'll come up with something. I'd definitely love to read more if you write it though.

And check out some of my work too, pretty please?

<3

Nisreen said...
May 16, 2012 at 7:33 pm:
I loved it! Brilliant creation of a snow white tale. I've always loved fairytales and the blending of the two was so seamless... A gripping story. I didn't skip a word!

Cantrella replied...
May 30, 2012 at 2:19 am :
Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. Snow White was always a story that I had a lot of questions about so I was giving my own answers. If you have any suggestions for others that's fun too. Working on Beauty and the Beast. Did you know the origins of that was Cupid and Psyche?