New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Moon & the Sun

Author's note: I'm inspired by the couples that stay together after problems in late teens-early twenties until...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I'm inspired by the couples that stay together after problems in late teens-early twenties until their deaths in their elder years. I think it's amazing to watch and learn about their stories; about how they made it that far. Please comment, rate & evaluate. Thanks!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Hide and Seek

It’s funny, looking back, at all of the memories we once had together. You looked so adorable in your bathing suit—the ones your mother got you for Christmas at the Cope Cabana. She forgot them, too, at her hotel in Wisconsin Dells, so she made her friend Tammy turn around and drive two hours to get them, remember? When she gave them to you, she said, “They aren’t too big, they aren’t gross, and you will wear them until they fall off when you stand up.” I think she loved those shorts more than you did, and you wore them to every time we went swimming that summer. And you loved swimming; you were a total California boy.
Do you remember where we had our first kiss? That day—the time before it—was outrageous. I just learned that my mother was dying from cancer, and you were my biology partner. We knew each other and joked around previously, but you decided it would be for my benefit that we hung out. You took me to Olive Garden in Santa Cruz for lunch, and then spent the rest of the day in San Francisco. We looked like such tourists, with our sweatshirts around our waists and snapping pictures at every corner. It’s amazing; we both had grown up in Bear Valley Spring our entire lives, and yet I had never previously visited San Francisco before.
That night, you took me out on a moonlit tour around San Francisco Bay. You bought me dinner, too. When the sun was setting, you asked me, “I feel bad for the moon. The sun is always dodging it; hiding under the earth, playing a never-ending version of hide-and-seek.” You paused, examining the sky, and then turned and looked me in the eyes. “I don’t want to be the sun with you. I really like you, Kelsey—I want to be with you.” When I smiled, you knew what my answer was and kissed me. We didn’t stop kissing until a fog horn erupted from the ship, but nonetheless, we were inseparable after that. You drove me home and my brother and dad were fighting—the first of several gigantic arguments. This was, by far the worst, ended in a bloodbath and I had to get the cops involved. With the tensions high and dry, I grabbed my eight-year-old sister Laura and we slept over at your house, remember? Your parents were at a conference in Orlando and your twins siblings—Natalie and Derek—were both serving in the military. You were so kind to me, but especially Laura. That’s when I knew you were the one for me.

Hawklover21 said...
May 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm:
Wow. This is stunning. I wish everyone would take the time to read this and understand its complexity! I love Kelsey's character and how their relationship grew from teenage bliss to somber Golden Years. Genius!

nemish23 said...
May 5, 2012 at 6:01 pm:

omg! this story is so beautiful! i hope you're proud of it!

it's so heartfelt and warm, so true and believable that i love it so much!

you have such a great way of telling stories! just be careful that sometimes you don't move from second person.

this story, i think, is one of the best i've read. the idea behind it is great!

<3

Lindsey31 replied...
May 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm :
Thank you SO much! Your words mean a lot to me! Feel free to check out my other novel, articles and pictures. Thanks again(: