A High School Romance | Teen Ink

A High School Romance

By Bookwormcentral95 SILVER, N/A, California
Bookwormcentral95 SILVER, N/A, California

Write the book you've always wanted to read, but could never find on the shelves.

Author's note: I heard this quote from an author and I forget who said it, but it goes, "Write the book you've always wanted to read, but could never find on the shelf." And that's what I try to keep in mind when I write this.

“Hey!” I called out the open passenger window of my old Jeep.
“Hi!” My best friend Emma Johnson replied. “Ugh! I can’t wait for this school day to end!” She said.
“Um I hate to break it to you Em, but the school day hasn’t even started yet.” Neither of us liked sitting in a classroom all day when we could be at the beach, or the mall. But then again, what kid did?
Emma is a pretty girl with long, sun bleached, blond hair cut in swift layers around her face. She is tan from the beach and is rather skinny. She has bright blue eyes and a perfect smile that dazzled almost everyone. She has this sense of knowing. Knowing when someone is upset or happy and they don't have to say a word. Emma has a funky personality and she’s really smart.
She’s my best friend.
We’ve lived across the street from each other all our lives, and never fight about anything; I guess you could say we’re sisters. Inseparable really.
Emma's and my house are oddly similar. Our houses are nothing fancy. The front of both is a light brown color with stones laid into the side of the garage. The driveways sit to the right of the cement pathways that lead to the front steps. Above the steps is a small porch and a white door. The green grass and flower beds shape the front and sides of our houses. I always thought it was awesome that we lived so close to each other.
I turned the radio on and after a few minutes of flipping through the channels I finally find our favorite station. In no time at all we are both singing along and giggling at each other’s dance moves as we drive through town towards the high school.
We live in a small coastal town nestled up high in the rocks. There is hardly ever a gloomy day here. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I love that everything is in walking distance from my house. We're a close knit little town. Everyone always knows everyone's business. You could walk down the street and name every person you passed and know their life story.
We drive by all the little shops that have been passed down through the generations. We pass the ice cream parlor, where old Mr. Jenkins still gives out free scoops on hot summer days. We pass the candy shop where Mrs. Milton still sells her home made chocolates and gummy treats. We also pass the old perfume shop where Abigail Hansen makes her perfumes from scratch. It’s one of my favorite stores in town. I'm always waiting for the next scent to come out.
I guess what I love most about our small town is the stability it brings. I know that I can always go to Mr. Jenkins's ice cream parlor and see all the tubs of ice cream in their coolers, or all the candy in their glass containers on the front counter in Mrs. Milton's shop. I can always feel the calm, soothing, smells of lavender when I walk into Abby's store after a hard day. Its comforting to know that things will always be the same here.
The next thing I know, we were in the school parking lot, and piling out of the car. We walked through the front doors, down the small flight of stairs, and to our lockers, which happened to be right next to each other. It’s not a very big school to start with.
“Hey Grace. What do you think of this color nail polish I bought at the mall last week? I kind of like it, but it’s a little shiny and really bright. I don’t think lime green is my color. Grace? Gracie are you even listening to me?” She demanded.
But I hadn’t heard a single word she’d said. I had heard the familiar squeak of the front door's hinges and I turned to see who it was. She caught on after a few seconds and followed my gaze to the front steps.
There at the very top of the stairs with his two best friends, Jared Anderson and Brandon Kenny, was the most gorgeous thing I had ever seen. I was always eager to get to school just so I could see him. If I saw him just once, it didn’t matter if I failed a pop quiz or had to run the mile in P.E. All that mattered at that moment was Sam Mathews.
He was tall with blond hair that was a little long. His eyes were deep blue and he had a square chin and jaw. He dressed in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time. I see him at the beach sometimes with Jared and Brandon. He’s a really good surfer. . .not that I'm a stalker or anything. I surf too. Actually a lot of us here do.
He's popular. More popular than I could ever hope to be. He doesn't even know I exist.
He's better off than most of us here, with his dad being a surgeon at one of the local hospitals and his mom being a lawyer for some big firm. But he's always seemed kind and modest, which is one of the reasons I like him so much. He seems real, you know?
They started walking down the steps. They were almost three feet away from me when I turned my head and pretended to be digging in my locker for something. They had almost passed completely when I knocked my blue ball-point pen over the edge of my locker and onto the blue linoleum floor right in front of him.
He picked it up and walked over to me. He tapped me on the shoulder with the end of the pen and said, “Um is this your pen?” I turned around and said, “Oh, uh ya it is. Thanks.” I was so nervous and could swear I was blushing.
“No problem,” and with a smile he turned and walked down the rest of the hall to his locker.
The whole time Emma was frozen solid against the side of her locker door. When he was out of earshot she turned to me and said, “Oh my gosh,” while taking the time to say each word slowly for dramatic effect.
“Sam Mathews just picked up your pen for you.”
“No . . . really? I hadn’t even noticed,” I said with heavy sarcasm. Emma threw me a glare and opened her locker, turning her attention to her mirror, prepping herself for her first class. She carefully brushes out her hair, and fixes any blemishes in her makeup she might see.
“This is a big step in your relationship.” She said starting to babble a little. She always does when she gets excited.
“I mean before he wouldn’t have even bothered to pick up your pen, no offense or anything. But today…Wow! Oh and don’t forget that one split second when your eyes met and you looked at each other. This is great.” She stopped to take a breath and turned her attention again to her mirror and herself.
“What relationship Em. Sure I’ve known the guy since preschool, but who in this town hasn’t? It’s part of living in a tiny town like this. And I’ve only ever said a few words to him before today.” I said getting a little frustrated with her excitement over nothing.
“Besides he didn’t even know I existed before five minutes ago. And I’m sure he still doesn’t. He probably just thinks he was picking up a pen on the floor. I bet he’s forgotten all about it by now.” I said, frustrated now at myself for not saying anything else when I had the chance. “Ok whatever you say Grace.” Emma said. “Can we just drop it, please.” Oh ya. Definitely frustrated now.
“Fine. Fine. Have it your way. You up for the beach after school?” She asked. Thankful for a new topic I said, “Sure sounds like fun.”
"Ok great. Well I better get going. Bells' going to ring soon,” She said.
“Ok see you later” I said sounding like a whinny five year old, as I turned and headed down the hall to my first class. Algebra, great. It was only my worst, not to mention most hated class, of the day besides P.E.
As I’m walking down the hall, I slowly let my mind drift to thoughts of Sam. I’ve had a crush on Sam for as long as I can possibly remember. But a guy like him wouldn’t go out with a girl like me.
I was tall for my age, and slim. I have long brunette hair that flows down in spiral curls to the middle of my back. I have a heart shaped face and emerald green eyes. I wear contacts so that I don't have to wear the big bulky glasses my mom, Jennifer, picked out for me.
I have my own individual style. I'm not a tomboy, but I'm not a girlie girl either. I'm just floating along in the middle. I like what I like, so I never defined my style as tomboy or girlie. I guess you could say I'm not into labels.
Emma is pretty much the same way. She isn’t real big on shiny and pink stuff, and she tries hard to look good. Even though I’ve told her on many occasions that she doesn’t have to try so hard. You could put her in a garbage bag and she’d still look good. But she refuses to listen and says, “You’re my best friend, you kinda have to say that.” So after a while I just stopped bothering her about it.
I walked into my Algebra class and took my normal seat, at the back of the room, next to Emma’s and my other best friend, Oliver, or Ollie as we call him. He was tall and rather good looking and has dark brown hair that falls into his eyes. It's longer than it should be, I think. We tease him a lot about getting a haircut. And like Emma, he lives on my street. In fact he lives in the house right next door to mine.
I set my bag down and get out my note book and the very pen that Sam Mathews had just picked up for me. Oliver leaned over and said in a whisper, “Another bad morning I take it?” I hate when he reads my face like that. He always makes me talk about the thing that's bothering me, when I want more than anything to forget it completely.
“Well ya, what other kind of morning would I have had.” I said, a little harshly.
Oliver knows about my crush on Sam. And he makes it worse by tormenting me with the fact that they’re friends. He would come to school and tell me all about how he was at Sam’s house over the weekend or how they were going surfing later. I just sit and count down in my head. It’s a kind of therapy I do. You count down aloud or in your head and by the time you get to one, you were suddenly calm again. It helps a lot if you tend to get a little frustrated.
I ended up telling him about the pen and he sat back and listened like he always does. And then like always he started laughing when I finished my story. And then I say, “I always find it interesting when you laugh at something that you're supposed to take seriously.” But he had me laughing in a matter of seconds. He was like that with everyone. He could make you laugh and smile when you’re in the worst mood.
We stopped laughing when our teacher, Mrs. Goldberg, walked in and called our attention to the front of the room.
Mrs. Goldberg is and older lady, probably in her sixties or so. She's a very sweet person. She has silver hair that is whitening in some parts. She always has it in a neat bun on top of her head.
She wears old skirts and dresses, and she always has on a gold locket. I’d asked her about it once, and she told me that it was handed down in her family for over a hundred years. She has a very grandmotherly attitude about her. The way she talks to her students. The way she loves each and every one of them in their own special way.
She pulled out her book and opened it to the page we were on today. She got her whiteboard pen and wrote the page number on the board. Then she turned to us, and said with a smile, “Good morning class. If you will please get out a piece of paper and your books and turn to the page on the board.”
I pulled out a piece of binder paper and my book and started to take notes. I got as far as putting my name on the paper when I remembered that Emma and I were going to the beach after school. I got out another piece of paper and started to write:

'Ollie,

Emma and I are going to the beach after school. You want to come with?'

I folded up the paper and waited till Mrs. Goldberg turned to the white board and handed the note to Oliver. He read it and started writing his response when Mrs. Goldberg called on me to answer a question. I didn’t even know what the lesson was about. There was a moment of silence and I didn’t say anything. Finally I said, “I don’t know.” She gave me a stern look and said, “Pay attention please Grace.” I was so embarrassed when I said, “Yes ma’am.” There were snickers from all over the room.
She then turned to May, one of the brains of the school, to answer the question. I didn’t pay attention to what she said, but I could tell by Mrs. Goldberg’s expression that she’d answered it right. Oliver waited a minute for Mrs. Goldberg to turn back around and then tossed the note back to me. I picked it up and carefully unfolded it.

'Sure, that sounds awesome. But I have to run to Sam’s and pick up my jacket I left there yesterday. I’ll meet you guys there. Same spot?'

I looked at the note and wanted so much to hit him. He could have said he had to go somewhere first, or that he had to run an errand, but no. He specifically said he was going to Sam’s just to get to me. I looked over at my so called best friend, and gave him a glare. He looked up at me and started to laugh under his breath. I would definitely give him a punch or two later. But right now I needed to pay attention to the lesson. I quickly jotted down my reply and threw the paper at him.

'Ya same spot. What kind of question is that anyways? We always go to our spot. You know that.'

He read the note and gave me a big smile. I shrugged as if to say, ‘Whatever.”
The three of us have a special spot we always go to when we are in need of a beach. We found it about a year ago and we haven’t told anyone about it. Not even our own families. We were just driving down the main road that turns into the public beach parking lot. There was a lot of people there. There usually was in the summer time.
Emma, who was sitting in the back seat, suggested we keep going past the main beach and see if anyone was down at the other end.
“Why don’t we just keep driving? I heard there’s a few smaller beaches down there that nobody bothers to go to. We can make it our getaway place and nobody but us will know about it.”
So that’s what we did. We kept driving for about fifteen minutes. We searched frantically for our secluded paradise. But nothing was to be found. Absolutely nothing. We were about to give up, when I saw, what looked like a half circle of boulders that pointed to the ocean.
I parked up against a railing that had a sign that stated the beach hours. I looked at Oliver and Emma and said, “Stay here. I’ll be right back.” I climbed out of my old jeep and walked over to the railing.
I crawled between the two pieces of rope and down two huge boulders and looked out over the rest of the smaller rocks concealing the small amount of beach there was. It had to be the most beautiful thing I’d ever seen.
There was a half moon of pure white sand, and a small pool next to the rocks where the water flowed in and out with the tide. I walked over the rest of the small rocks and onto the beach. I stared out at the horizon, and was breath taken by what I saw. Just above the horizon was the fading sunset. The sky had streaks and swerves of bright pink and orange, highlighting the white clouds. It was all so peaceful, and I didn’t want to disturb it.
I walked back up to the jeep where I was met by two anxious faces.
“So what did you find down there?” Oliver asked, excited now.
“You will never believe what I found. You guys go check it out and I’ll start getting the stuff.” I said a little excited now myself. We had done it. We had found a place all our own and ever since that day, that has been our spot. We have never once seen anyone there. We just figured no one’s bothered to look down there yet, and we hope they never will.
Then a thought crossed my mind. We were all going to the beach after school right? So it would be so stupid for Oliver to meet us there because he doesn’t have a way to get there on his own. I took out yet another paper and started writing my idea when I was suddenly interrupted.
Out of nowhere there was a soft knock on the door. Everyone looked up to see Sam standing against the door frame. Mrs. Goldberg looked up from her lesson plans and said, “Yes, can I help you?”
Sam was looking around the room when he saw me in the back row. Still looking at me he said, “Um ya. I just had my schedule changed.” Mrs. Goldberg walked over to him and took the paper he carried out of his hands. He looked away as Mrs. Goldberg said, “Uh ok. Well there’s only one open seat.”
And then a new terror dawned on me. The only open seat was directly in front of me.
“You can sit there. Grace,” she called to me, "Will you raise your hand please.” I was so embarrassed as I raised my hand in the air.
“Thank you dear,” She said. Then she turned back to Sam and said, “Your seat is just there. You can borrow someone’s notes and get caught up with us.”
He walked to the back of the room and sat down. He turned around to see Oliver. The two of them exchanged ‘Heys’ and then he turned to me. I remembered that I hadn’t taken any notes, and prayed that he didn’t ask me for them.
“Hey, didn’t I see you in the hall this morning?” I couldn’t talk. I was in total shock that he was talking to me, not to mention that he even remembered. ‘Talk Grace. Say something. He’s waiting.’ I thought to myself. I looked at him and then said, “Uh ya, I um, I think you picked up my pen.” ‘That was lame Grace.
Was that the best you could do? Of course he remembers he picked up your pen. Why else would he have asked!’
“Oh ya,” he said with a smile. Then he turned around and pulled out his binder and text book from his leather messenger bag.
He turned back to Oliver and asked to see his notes. We weren’t that far in the lesson so it didn’t take long for him to get caught up. Relieved that he didn’t ask for my notes, and that I didn’t have to say anything more, I turned most of my attention back to the lesson. Then I remembered that I had been writing a note to Oliver. I looked down at my paper and continued writing.

'Um you need a ride to the ‘spot’ so just meet me and Em at the same time at my house and we’ll head over to Sam’s and pick up your jacket on our way to the beach.'

I folded the paper and tossed it to Oliver’s desk. Then a thought dawned on me. It was the end of May and no one in their right mind would wear a jacket in this heat. I turned my head and saw Oliver staring at me wide eyed, knowing he’d been caught. Before he could even think about responding with some lame excuse, I got another paper and wrote a very simple message:

'Busted. My locker, when the bell rings.'

As I handed Oliver the note, I realized Sam was looking at me. He'd been watching us pass notes since he walked in. He looked at me, then at Oliver, and then he turned around with a small hint of a smile on his face. Oliver looked up, aware of the trouble he was in, and how furious I was. I looked away and returned to the lesson.
That was all that was said for the rest of the period. When the bell finally rang, I stood up and gathered my stuff. When I looked up, Sam was gone. I threw Oliver a quick warning slash reminder glare and walked out of the room. I was turning the corner into the hallway when I saw Sam leaning against the paint chipping wall outside the class room.
He was waiting for someone, I was sure. When I walked by, he looked up and started walking after me. He said, “Hey Grace right, wait up.” I was surprised he’d gotten my name right, or even remembered it for that fact. But then again I was still surprised that he was even talking to me.
I turned around to see him jogging after me. There I was, standing in the middle of the shabby hallway with Sam Mathews and the only thing I can think of to say is, “Uh ya. . .” He looked at me nervously, and then looked at his feet, “Um . . . hey.”
Then I did the most unexpected thing I’ve ever done. I turned around and started walking away, fast. I heard him say, “Wait. Wait a minute.” He ran and put himself between me and the direction I was headed. I couldn’t believe how irritated I was getting. “Wait,” He said, "I uh . . . I . . . I just wanted to. . .” Then he walked around me and he was gone. ‘That was so weird. I’ve never seen him act like that before,’ I thought.
I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and pushed the number one speed dial button. "Emma if there is any day that you answer your phone please let it be today." I said under my breath. Ring, ring, ring. Ring, ring, ring. Finally Emma answered her phone. “Hello?”
“Hey it’s me,” I say, “Are you at your locker?”
“Ya. Why?” She asked in a confused voice.
“Is Ollie there with you?”
“Ya. He’s standing here with me. Grace, what is it? What’s going on?” she asks again in that same confused voice.
“There’s something I need to tell you,” I say simply.
“Ok, well hurry up and get here,” she says, irritated, I’m sure, but with a hint of amusement.
“Ok stay put. I’m on my way,” Then I snap my phone closed and am all but running down the hallway.

“He did what!” Emma asked. The three of us were sitting at a picnic table at the very center of our school.
We have enclosed halls which have the lockers, the classrooms, the cafeteria, and the gym. Each hallway has a door that which leads to the picnic bench area we call the quad. There are tables, benches, and lots of shady trees to sit under.
Like every other high school in America, or even the world, our school is socially divided into groups. There’s the cool kids that consists of the jocks, cheerleaders, and all their friends that are also popular. This is where Sam hangs out.
Then there’s the geeks and the nerds who tend to form one big group. Then there’s the Band, the math club, the science club, art group, drama club, photography and yearbook club. Then there’s those of us who don’t have a group. That’s where Emma, Oliver and I fit into the picture; at the bottom of the food chain. Yep, it’s just your average, everyday, normal high school.
Sometimes, I think of it as just floating along, looking for a place to land. But like I said, I'm not into labels.
We have a fifteen minute break after the first two periods of our day, and my first class is Algebra, a two period class. It usually didn't really get on my nerves, having Algebra first thing in the morning, but today it seemed like forever till it ended.
“Ya, he was waiting for me at the end of class," I said. I still couldn’t believe what had happened. And judging by the look on Emma’s face, she didn’t either. But I had Oliver to back me up for most of my story. That helped a lot. “And he didn’t say anything. Nothing at all?” She asked. We were both trying to figure out what happened, but nothing was making any sense to us.
“Ya he just called after me, and then all he said was ‘um hey, um I uh just wanted to’ and then he turned and walked away. It was really weird,” I said. I had repeated the story at least three times already. I was getting a little annoyed.
Oliver had been quiet this whole time. All he said was 'yes' when Emma asked if what I was telling her was true. Then it occurred to me that maybe he was only being so quiet, because he wanted me to forget that I was mad at him.
So I leaned over towards him, pulled back my arm and punched him hard on the shoulder. “Grace!” Emma was looking at me as if I was crazy person. “What the heck did you do that for?” Then I remembered that I didn’t tell Emma about Oliver ditching us to go to Sam’s house.
“She’s mad at me because I’ve been ditching you guys to go to Sam’s house,” Oliver said.
Emma was wide eyed. It was quiet for a few minutes then she said, “What? Ollie why would you lie to us?” I could tell Emma was just as hurt as I was. She leaned toward Oliver and punched his other shoulder just as hard as I had. “Ah! Could you guys please stop hitting me?” Oliver pleaded.
“Ollie, you know you don’t have to ask our permission to hang out with your other friends. We totally get it. You’re a guy and you have other friends besides us. We’re just mad that you think that you had to lie to us,” I said.
“I know, I know. It’s just that with your liking Sam and all, well I just thought it would be weird you know?” He said. And I did know. And inside my head I was thanking Oliver for that.
“Well if you don’t want to go surfing then that’s ok with us. “ Emma said.
Then Oliver’s phone started to ring. He picked it up and said, “Hey man, what’s up?” then he just listened. “So we’re on for this afternoon then right?” then he listened again. Then, “Ok, we’ll pick you up around 3:30. See you then.” He snapped his phone shut. Emma and I looked up at each other. We were both confused by the conversation.
It was quiet for a few minutes and then Oliver said, “So what were we talking about?”
But I had this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach about the conversation Oliver just had. “Ollie, who were you just talking to?” I asked.
“Um, Sam. Why?” he said looking at the table now. “And um, who’s this ‘we’ you were talking about?” I was watching him very carefully for a slip in the composed expression on his face. “The three of us.” Oliver said playing with his hands now. He looked up at me and asked, “You guys still up for the beach?”

I woke up this morning thinking this was going to be just another normal day. I got up and got ready like usual. Then I picked up Jared and met Brandon in the parking lot. Just your regular school day. When I went inside and I saw her, I could swear my heart skipped a beat. She was standing by her locker with her friend, what was her name, Emily? Emma? That's what it is. Emma.
Anyways she was standing by her locker in her jeans and Converse, like she did every day. But for some reason today she looked different to me. When she dropped her pen and I picked it up for her, she had this smile on her face, and this expression of shock. She looked beautiful. It almost pained me to walk away.
The bell rang and I went up to the main office to see my counselor, Ms. Stanley. She was a younger woman with blond hair she always had in a ponytail. I knocked on the door and she said, "Come in Sam."
I sat on one of the hard plastic chairs in front of her desk. She looked up from her computer screen, "I think I have your new schedule all figured out. It's late in the year for a schedule change though so you might be a little behind at first. But I'm confident you will be able to catch up quickly. Your other classes are the same, like math and English. You just have them at different times."
She handed me my new schedule and I saw that I had Algebra first period. Great. Math first thing in the morning. Oh well at least I got out of Band. I thanked Ms. Stanley, and headed towards my new class. I had Mrs. Goldberg with my old schedule, but I had had her last instead of first so I knew where her classroom was. I stopped by my locker to grab my text book and then I headed down the hall to class.
When I got there I knocked on the door, but my attention went directly to the pretty brunette girl in the back of the room. Grace. She looked up and saw me at the door. It looked to me as if her eyes had widened just a little and I saw the blush go into her cheeks.
I handed Mrs. Goldberg my pass and my schedule change and she told Grace to raise her hand so I could find my seat. I went and sat down and asked Oliver for his notes so I could get caught up with the class. The whole time I was trying to be smooth so I didn't look stupid in front of Grace.
I couldn't help but notice that she was writing a lot of notes to someone. I felt about ten times better, when I realized she was writing them to Oliver. While I was sitting there, half listening to the lesson, my mind was as war with itself. Talk to her. . .Don't talk to her. Would it be awkward if I did talk to her? I don't really know her that well and I've never really had a conversation with her before. This shouldn't be that complicated, but yet there I was sitting in Algebra fighting with myself. I should take a chance right?
By the time class had ended, I had made up my mind to talk to her. As I gathered my things to leave I chickened out and all but ran out of the room and down the hall. But the part of me that really wanted to talk to her ended up out weighing the part that didn't and I turned around. I leaned against the door frame, trying to look relaxed, and waited for her.
When she finally came out of the classroom, she looked irritated. She saw me and started walking the other way down the hall. I had to jog a little to catch up to her. I said, "Hey Grace right, wait up." My mind was rushing to find something coherent to say but it kept coming up blank. She looked a little nervous, but so was I.
"Uh ya. . ." she said.
It was like my brain was totally shut off. I didn't know what else to do but look at my feet and say lamely, "Um. . .hey."
I watched as she turned on her heels and started walking again. I was going to lose my chance if I didn't think of something to say. Fast.
"Wait. Wait a minute." I said as I ran to block her path. "I uh. . . I. . . I just wanted to. . ." As I trailed off, I realized what an idiot I was being. I guess that triggered my flight response because I stepped around her and started to walk the opposite way.
I can't believe I just did that. I just made a total idiot out of myself.
I was sitting at my lunch table with Jared and Brandon like every other day. But today my mind kept drifting back to Grace. Was this Love? It couldn't be. I didn't even know her. In all the years we've gone to school together I never bothered to get to know her. All I knew about her was the small details her friend Oliver told me in a story or in a light conversation. That wasn't much.
I know she loves to surf and play the piano. I know she has a little brother named Travis and a half family that lives a few minutes from here. I know she is warm and funny and people love to be around her. And, from my own observation, I know she's pretty. I like that she isn't caught up in all the girl drama, or obsessed with her looks. I especially love that she isn't afraid to be herself no matter what anybody thinks.
"Sam. Sam, dude wake up," Brandon was trying to get my attention. "Did you hear anything we just said?"
"What, no sorry," I said snapping out of my thoughts.
"We were just saying that we were going to catch a movie tonight. You want to come?" Jared asked me.
"Um, sorry guys but I've got plans tonight. I can't. Maybe tomorrow?" I said. Oliver had called me earlier and asked if I wanted to go surfing with him and some friends that afternoon.
"That's cool. We can go tomorrow," Brandon said, and then added, " Are you ok Sam? You've been acting weird all day."
"Ya, ya I'm fine. I just have something on my mind," I said. But Jared knew that wasn't it.
"More like a someone. I know that look. Who is it this time Sam?"
I sighed in defeat and said, "Grace Evans."
"Grace Evans? The chick we saw this morning? She's cool I guess," Jared said. For some reason that surprised me a little.
"I just can't get her out of my head," I said.
"Well have you talked to her?" Brandon asked.
"I tried too after class this morning, but I choked. I don't know what happened. I just. . . I don't know," I said lamely.
"So what your saying is, you don't know," Jared said joking around.
"Thanks man that helps a lot," I said getting a little irritated.
They both started laughing and then the bell rang for us to go to our last two classes of the day. Soon it would be 3:30 and I would free of my thoughts of Grace. Or so I thought.

"Sam Mathews is going where with us?" I half screamed at Oliver. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
"I thought you'd be happy," Oliver protested. "I already had plans with him and I figured since you were going surfing. . .that you know, we'd tag along."
I couldn't talk. I didn't know what to say to that. Oliver thought he was doing me a favor and I couldn't be mad at him for that. Maybe it would be ok, I mean what's the worst that could happen? Right then my mind drifted to a vision of myself doing about a hundred really embarrassing things all at once.
"Ok so we're going surfing with Sam Mathews," Emma said smiling, pleased, I was sure, with the raising of her social status. "This is gonna be great." She obviously didn't see anything wrong with our afternoon plans. I was going to make an idiot out of myself. A nervous, clumsy wreck.
"Great so we're gonna pick him up at 3:30 then," Oliver said. Just as he said that, the bell rang filling the quad area with a loud, familiar buzzing that droned out all conversation. As everyone filed into the halls I tried to keep my thoughts from dwelling on what was sure to be a disastrous afternoon.

When the final bell rang signaling the end of the school day, I met Emma in the parking lot and we drove back to my house. My eight year old brother, Travis wasn't home from school yet. We quickly changed into our swim suits and threw on some shorts and a tank. We loaded an ice chest and some chairs into the trunk of my Jeep. We grabbed our beach bags that contained our wet suits, sunglasses, and towels. We strapped our boards to the roof and set off.
Oliver walked out of his garage a few minutes later, with him board in hand. "Hey guys," he cheerfully greeted us as we strapped his board beside ours on the roof. He threw his bag in the trunk and climbed into the backseat of my Jeep.
"So where does Sam even live?" I asked after we were all strapped in.
"Just drive and I'll tell you where to go," Oliver said from the seat directly behind me. I pulled out of his driveway and Oliver directed me to a very large front gate, that led to an even larger house, or mansion, I guess you could call it. I pressed the button on the brick wall that was under a speaker. "Yes," a voice said a few minutes later. I pressed and held, the button again as I spoke to the man on the other side of the speaker. "Um, hi. I'm here to pick up Sam. We're, uh going surfing."
With that the front gates sprung to life and we were directed inside. As we drove down the long cemented drive way, we stopped in front of a huge Victorian style mansion. It looked like something pulled right out of a movie. There were a series of giant floor to ceiling pillars that shaped the front of the house and deck. Above them were countless amounts of windows that led to various rooms. Beautiful hedges line the sides and front of the house. There was a series of steps that led to the front door which was a beautiful oak with inlaid glass trimmed with gold and a massive gold knocker. There was a very old looking porch swing that looked to fragile to sit on. Around it was a series of white country styled chairs with matching cushions and side tables. It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. I was momentarily breath taken.
When I recovered from my shock, I looked behind me at Oliver and asked, "Sam lives here?" I had always know that Sam was out of my league but now it was definite.
"Yup," was all he said. It was quiet for a few minutes and then, "I guess I'll go up and get him."
After Oliver had gone up to the front door, Emma looked out the window and breathed, "Wow." I looked out the front window to see what could be more amazing than the house. It was then that I got a look at the front yard. We both got out of my Jeep and Emma came to stand beside me. The whole house was surrounded by vast green lawn. There was a fountain in the middle of the circular driveway and there were trees planted in various parts of the yard. They provided large amounts of shady areas that would be great for picnics or just for sitting and reading a great book with a glass of lemonade on a hot summer day.
We heard the front door open and Oliver greet Sam's mother, Karen. "Hey Mrs. Mathews." Then we heard her call for Sam. They stood on the front porch and talked while they waited for Sam. Then "Hey Sam, you ready?" He told his mother goodbye and she told him to have fun. You know, the things all mothers tell their kids. 'Be safe' 'Have fun' 'Be back for dinner' kind of things. Oliver helped Sam with his board and they walked down the porch steps. Then he saw Emma and I gaping wide eyed and open mouthed at his front yard. "Um . . . hey," he said with a smile, trying to hold back a laugh.

When everything was loaded up in the back of my Jeep, we headed for the beach. We had the radio on to mine and Emma's favorite channel. Emma was singing softly under her breath, and Oliver was whispering to Sam in the back seat. I was alone to my thoughts. 'What if this was a bad idea. What if I did something stupid and embarrassing.' I was so consumed with my thoughts that I almost missed the next turn.
We had reached the main beach parking lot. We drove past the turn in when Sam said, "Um, I think we missed our turn. Where are we going?" 'Was he talking to me?' I didn't know but I spoke up anyways.
"We have our own spot further down the beach. It's secluded and no one knows about it but us . . . um we think. Anyways, its great. You'll love it." I was so surprised at myself. I didn't stutter at all.
"Cool," he said. "How much farther is it?"
"Not far. In fact, we're here." We had just pulled up to the sign that stated the beach hours. I parked and hopped out of the driver’s seat. Emma, now aware of where we were, unbuckled her seat belt and started unloading the ice chest and chairs from the back. Oliver and I started untying the surf boards.
“Um are you sure this is it? It just looks like a bunch of rocks.” Sam asked.
“Just wait, you’ll see,” Oliver said.
I grabbed mine and started down the rocky path.
This little cove always made me stop and admire it's beauty. The still white sands and the crystal clear water called to me in a way I can't explain. I set my board up against a rock and kicked off my rubber flip flops. I walked to the water’s edge and stuck my toes into the cool water. I stood there for what felt like hours, but it was just a few minutes. I jumped when I heard someone say "Wow."
I turned around to find that Sam had found his way down to the water’s edge and was now a few feet away from me. "It's great right?" I asked even though I got the answer from his 'Wow'. He came to stand next to me. "Grace-" he was cut off by Emma calling me from my car.
"I'll be right back," I said as I slipped on my flip flops and started heading up the rock path again.
Oliver and Emma were at the side of the Jeep trying to take as much as they could with one load. "We need your help. We can't carry all these chairs," Emma said to me when I arrived. We gathered all the chairs and I locked my car. When we finally made it to the beach, Emma and I set up the chairs and ice chest. She looked over her shoulder at Sam and Oliver who were standing at the water’s edge, where moments ago I had been. "They're acting weird. Don't you think?" Emma asked. They had been whispering to each other ever since we picked Sam up.
"Ya, I guess," I said. We got out our wet suits and towels and laid them out on our beach chairs.
"Hey Gracie, can you help me for a second?," Emma asked holding a bottle of spray on sunscreen out for me. "I can't reach my back."
"Sure," I said. I took the bottle and sprayed her back a few times.
"Now do me," I said when I was finished. After we were done applying sunscreen, we asked the guys if they were ready to catch a few waves. They were still standing at the water’s edge. Emma and I took off our shorts and tanks and started getting into our wet suits.
"Sam and I will come out in a minute," Oliver said when Emma and I were heading out.
"See," Emma said. "They are acting weird."
"Or, maybe they just aren't ready to go out yet," I replied.
Emma and I started to swim out. When we were far enough, we sat and waited for the perfect wave to carry us back to the beach.

"Dude, wake up." Oliver was sitting beside me in the back seat of Grace's Jeep. We had just pulled out of my driveway and I was still in a state of shock.
"You didn't tell me she was gonna be here," I whispered fiercely.
"Who? Grace?" He was playing dumb.
"Yes Grace. Who else would I be talking about?" I was getting irritated.
"Just calm down. It’s all gonna be ok," he said. By then we were half way through town and almost to the beach.
When we got to their "special spot". I looked at Oliver in confusion. We were parked on the side of the road next to a sign. I couldn't see anything but giant rocks and boulders. We all piled out of the car. Grace unstrapped her board with a swift ease. She probably did this every day. Oliver reached up and unstrapped mine. I looked around in confusion. Where had Grace gone?
"She already went down. You'd better hurry. This may be your only chance to be alone with her. Just follow the little sand path," He gave me whispered directions and then I was making the treacherous climb down to the water.
When I finally reached the beach I almost dropped my board. I was standing in a beautiful half circle of pure white sand. The sun was setting in the distance and the water looked warm and clear. Grace stood with her back to me and her bare her toes in the water. I stood where I was and it was quiet for a few moments. She looked like an angel with her long, curly brown hair glittering in the orange glow of the sun. She looked so peaceful I couldn't disturb her. I felt like I was staring at a painting.
"Wow," I breathed. She probably thought I was talking about the beach because she replied, "Its great right?" But I wasn't talking about the beach . . . not really. I took a step forward and was standing next to her, "Grace-" I started. But I was interrupted by Emma yelling from the car.
"I'll be right back," was all she said before turning and walking back the way that I had just come. I probably wouldn't get another chance to talk to her alone today, and I wouldn't be able to tell her all the things I'd been about to say.

When everything was unloaded and brought down to the beach, Oliver came to stand next to me at the waterline.
"Did you do it? Did you tell her?" He asked anxiously.
"No, I was about to," I said miserably.
"Well why didn't you?"
"Emma," Was all I said.
"Oh I'm sorry man. I tried to get her to wait for a few minutes, but she said that we couldn't carry all the stuff by ourselves. And I couldn't tell her why she needed to wait, so she called Grace anyways."
"It's ok. I'll get the chance eventually."
After the girls paddled out, Oliver and I stayed on the beach and got our wet suits on. We finished getting our boards ready, drank some water and then we were heading out.
The water was warm and the tide was starting to come in. I wasn't really sure how great the waves were going to be. A few times I caught Grace's eye but we both quickly looked away. It was beginning to get dark and we decided to catch one last wave and then we would head in. Emma and Oliver both got on the next big wave and rode it all the way to the shore. It was just me and Grace sitting on our boards waiting for the next wave to roll around.
There was an awkward silence and then she asked, "Do you surf a lot?" I was completely caught off guard.
"Um, ya whenever I get the chance to come out here," I said. "Do you?"
"I love it out here," She said not really answering my question. "The slow, subtle movements of the water. The sun on my face and in my hair. The cold, white sand between my toes. And I love the smell of salt in the air. I would live on the beach if I could. I'm here pretty much every afternoon."
For some reason those words stuck to me. Maybe it's because I feel the same way. I don't really know. I didn't get a chance to respond because just then we caught the wave that took us to her 'home'.

When we got back to the beach, the sun was almost gone and the stars were starting to come out of hiding. We toweled off and pulled out the beach chairs. We sat on the beach and watched as the remaining light left the sky. Emma handed out sandwiches and water. Oliver arranged it so I sat by Grace. Emma was on her other side and Oliver was on mine.
"The stars are beautiful. Aren't they?" she asked no one in particular.
We sat for a while more and then we were packing up our stuff and heading up the rocks and to the car. We took everything in one load. Emma packed all the stuff in the trunk while Grace, Oliver and I strapped the surf boards to the roof. Grace and I walked around to our side of the car and I held the door open for her. She was about to climb in when I looked up at the sky and said, "Wait. Look!" she turned in time to see the shooting star fly across the sky. "Make a wish," I breathed.
She closed her eyes for a few seconds and then looked up at me. I asked, "What did you wish for?"
She got this sly look on her face and said, "If I told you, I'd have to kill you . . . and that would really put a damper on my day." And then she turned her back, and got in the car.
I thought about her answer and wondered what she had to hide.
The ride back to my house was quiet. We drove through the still streets of our tiny town. All the shops and side walk stands that were open only hours earlier were now closed and locked up until tomorrow.
As I stared out the window, lost in my own world, I thought about all the insightful things Grace had said to me during the short time we were together. I had learned a lot. She loved the ocean and the sandy beaches that came with it. She loved the setting sun and salty breeze in her face. But the thing that stood out to me the most, the one thing that I have noticed many times before, was that she wasn't afraid to be who she really was. She was so. . .real.
That much she didn't have to tell me. I saw it on her face and in the way she moved. I heard it in her voice when she talked. I saw it in the way her face looked when she was off in her own world; dreaming big dreams. After all, what are we without are dreams? We can't go anywhere or do anything without them; And we definitely can't accomplish anything either.
I realized, sitting in the backseat of her car, just how much I admired her for that.

I pulled up to the giant front gate of Sam's house and pressed the buzzer. This time instead of hearing someones voice, the gates swung open and I drove in. I pulled up to the front of the house and parked in the same spot as before. I got out with Sam and Oliver and we unloaded all of Sam's stuff from the trunk. Emma had turned the radio on again, and was busy trying to find a good song.

"Thanks for asking me to come with you guys today. I had a blast," Sam said as we walked him to the front door. I set his backpack down on the creaky front porch. Oliver laid his board up against the house and said, "Your welcome. We should all hang out again soon. It was a lot of fun."

Oliver and Sam said their goodbyes and then Oliver left us standing on the front porch and got in the car. I could swear I saw him wink at Sam before he left. I looked at Sam who was looking at me. He probably didn't even notice.

"Well I guess I'll see you in class on Monday. Thanks for coming with us. I had a lot of fun," I said.

"Ya, I'll see you in class."

I was on the second to the last step when he called me.

"Grace wait!" I turned around to face him. He looked so cute in the porch light and my heart skipped a beat when he said my name.

"Ya?" I asked.

"Um what would you say if I asked you to go to the Spring Festival with me this Friday night?"

The Spring Festival was this Friday night! I had totally forgotten about it. He was waiting for my answer so I said, "I would say that my wish came true." And then I turned around and walked back to my car.

When I got back in the car, Emma started to ask me what Sam and I were talking about. I said, "Wait till I'm out of the drive way. Act normal." I was trying to keep it together long enough to make it out his front gate.

When we were finally driving in the direction of our houses, Emma almost screamed, "Please! The suspense is almost killing me! Tell me what he said to you!"

I almost couldn't form the words into a coherent sentence. "He asked me to the Spring Festival." Then Emma and I started to scream.

"Whao, whao, whao! Calm down! You're both acting like a bunch of crazies!" Oliver said from the back seat.

"What were his exact words! Tell me everything!" Emma said.

I told her about what happened at the beach and how he had been trying to talk to me all afternoon. I told her about the shooting star, and about what had just been said on his front porch.

"Oh my gosh! How romantic! Ok you need something awesome to wear! Tomorrow we are going shopping!" she said.

This had to be the best day ever. I was going to the Spring Festival with Sam Mathews. I had just spent the whole afternoon with him and I didn't do anything stupid. I said all the right things and I didn't stutter. I was proud of myself.

We made it back to my house and I had parked in my usual spot in the driveway. Emma and Oliver helped me unload everything from the back of my car. We laid my surf board up against the wall in the garage, and slid the ice chest and chairs beside it. Then they grabbed their boards and beach bags and headed home for the night.

"Grace?" my mom called from the kitchen when I came in.

"Ya mom it's me," We did this every night. I'd come home and she would be waiting to ask how my day was.

"How was your day?" She asked coming to greet me in the living room.

I thought about that for a minute. "My day was great," I said smiling. After saying that, I noticed that I couldn't help but smile.

"What happened? Why are you smiling like that?" she asked a little suspicious now.

"Nothing. I just got asked to the Spring Festival...by Sam Mathews," My mom and I told each other everything. She knew who I liked and she was great at not being weird about it. If she were a teenager and not my mom, I would probably hang out with her.

"Honey, that's great!" she said. We went and sat on the living room couch, and I told her all about my day, starting with this morning. "And that brings us to now," I concluded.

"Well I'm glad that you're so happy."

I told my mom goodnight and went upstairs to my room.

When people think of teenagers, they think of messy rooms. Parents have conversations with other parents about it. It's in T.V. shows and movies. Even in books. But my room wasn't like that. It was super clean. I can't stand being in dirty rooms. That's probably why I never go into Travis's room. You can't see the floor.

The walls outside of my room are covered with picture frames of the three of us; me, my mom, and Travis. My mom and dad got divorced when Travis was two and I was nine, and he now lives with his new wife and three kids in our neighboring town. I see him a couple times a week, but mostly I see him on the weekends when I babysit. My "step mom" Susan is ok but I don't think of her as my step mom. Its more like an aunt/niece relationship. My mom and Susan are friends and they have lunch together at least once a week. I love spending time with my half siblings. I have one half brother, Jacob, and twin half sisters Addison and Jude. Jacob is six and the twins are turning four in a few months. They live about a twenty minute drive from my house which makes it easy to see them.

My room is the first door on the right at the top of the stairs. Grace is written across my bedroom door in swirly purple letters. When you walk in, the wall to the left, is my closet. It has floor to ceiling, mirrored doors that slide open on tracks and take up half of the wall.

Next to my closet there is a door that leads into my bathroom. The wall that my mirror hangs on is hot pink with lime green polka dots and the others are white. There are stenciled lyrics to my favorite songs painted randomly around the room. My favorite one is 'And I find that I'm never alone, And I find that my heart is my home. And the music within makes me whole. A world that I built on my own.' It's a Kate Earl song called Melody.

The towels are lime green and they hang on silver racks. The rugs and shower curtain are pink. There are three big light bulbs above the mirror. A white cabinet sits above the toilet. In the cabinet under the sink, there is a series of drawers. Two little ones that pull out, on each side and one long one in the middle. Then there is one large storage space underneath the top middle drawer.

On the far wall of my bedroom, facing the door, there is a window that looks out over the front yard. The window is draped with long, swaying layers of purple, black, and zebra curtains.

My bed sits on the opposite wall, across from the window. The metal bed frame is silver and it is twisted into swirls that make up the back board. It has a shiny dark purple comforter with black and purple pillows that line the back of the bed. There is a series of smaller pillows in front of them. I especially love the round, cylinder zebra pillow that sits in the very front. The head board rests against the wall, and the rest sticks out in the middle of the room. There are two matching nightstands on both sides. One has my alarm clock and iHome. The other has a black chandelier lamp and my reading book. My glasses are laid next to the lamp. There is a Zebra printed blanket folded and laid on the end of my bed.

I have a black wood book case in the far right corner of my room. It's stuffed with books to the point that I had to install shelves on my walls to hold them all. I love to read. My black metal desk sits on the wall next to the book case. My purple Dell Inspiron is off and pushed up against the wall. There is another black chandelier lamp on the other corner.

My room wasn't crowded but it wasn't big either. It was the right size and I loved it. I was especially proud that I had designed and decorated it myself. And I thought that I did a pretty good job.

I dropped my bag on the floor by my door, and walked to the bathroom. I seriously needed a shower after a long day at school. Not to mention that I was covered in beach sand and salt. I turned on the shower and left the water warm up. I grabbed my pajamas out of my closet, and closed the bathroom door.

I took my time and washed all the sand out of my hair and off my body. The whole time I was in the bathroom, I couldn't stop thinking about the Spring Festival on Friday. I'd need a great outfit. Emma and I had made plans to go shopping tomorrow. Then I remembered that I had to babysit tomorrow afternoon. I hurried through the rest of my shower and wrapped a towel around my hair. I picked up my cell phone and dialed Emma's number. I plopped down on my bed. She answered after one ring.

"Grace? What's up?" she asked.

"I just remembered that I have to babysit at my dad's tomorrow afternoon. So we need to go shopping earlier."

"Ok," she said, "We can go tomorrow morning. What time do you need to be home at?"

"Well I have to be at my dad's at one, so I should probably be back at my house at 12:30. Why don't we go around ten?"

"Ok that sounds great. We can have lunch too," She started making plans and I was only half listening. She would walk over to my house , since she lived across the street and we would go to the mall. Then once we had secured a great outfit and shoes, we would accessorize. After which we would have lunch somewhere; we hadn't thought about the "where" part yet.

"Well I'll see you tomorrow then," I said, feeling the affects of the day.

"Night," She said.

We hung up, and I laid my phone on my nightstand next to my book. I plugged my iPod into my iHome and clicked on my favorite playlist. I listened as the music began to play. It was classical music. I always listened to classical as I fell asleep. It calmed me down and cleared my thoughts and after a few minutes I would be following along with the music instead of thinking about my current problems.

Sam had asked me to the Spring Festival instead of his ex-girlfriend Cassie. I was nothing compared to her. She was tall and blond with those clear blue eyes most girls would kill for. She was pretty and she knew it. Often times it worked to her advantage. She was captain of the cheer squad, and she was popular. She had a rich daddy who worked for some big law firm. She lived like a princess. But I never wanted any of that, so it never bothered me that we weren't friends.

Cassie and Sam had been dating off and on for two years, and they had recently broken up. I heard them yelling in the quad last week, and he sounded pretty serious when he said that it was over for good. She never liked me much. So when she hears that I'm going to the Spring Festival with Sam and she isn't. . . well lets just say that I don't think we're going to be friends anytime soon. Again. . .not that I care.

I'm not sure if I was dreaming or awake when I started picturing Sam and me sitting around a giant bonfire on the beach, laughing, and talking, and having the time of our lives.

No matter what I did to occupy my time, all my thoughts kept flipping an illegal U turn and heading straight back to Grace. I didn't sleep at all. I tossed and turned all night. I was constantly replaying all the things I'd said to Grace, and the things she'd said to me, over and over again in my head. Analyzing everything that had happened. Remembering all the quick glances and the split moments when our eyes met and she wasn't afraid to hold my gaze.

Around five in the morning I decided that it was a waste of time to lay in bed, if I couldn't fall asleep. With as much sleep as I had lost, I didn't feel tired. My parents were still asleep in their room and my older sister Heather would be up soon. She gets up early to go for a jog every morning while it's cool outside.

I walked through the quiet halls of my house looking for something to occupy my mind. The sun was about to come up. I headed out to the back deck, which faced the sun, and sat on the old rocking chair that had once belonged to my grandmother.

The weather, despite the early hour, was warm and I was lost in a train of thought, watching the sun come up. The horizon was streaked with orange, yellow, and pink, and there were traces of white clouds that had now vanished.

I felt a rather small hand rest on my shoulder. The touch made me jump as I came back to this universe. I looked behind me, and saw Heather standing there in her jogging shorts and shoes. I returned my gaze to the rising sun.

"Sam? Are you ok? What are you doing out here?" She asked me.

I didn't look up as I replied, "I couldn't sleep, so I thought that I'd come out here and sit for a while." My voice sounded lifeless, and sad.

"Is everything alright?"

Heather and I are really close. I told her everything, and she, more often than not, knew when something was bothering me.

"Ya, I'm fine. I just can't stop thinking about this girl."

"Uh Oh. What's her name? Wait you broke up with Cassie right?" Her forehead bunched up as she said this. She never did like Cassie much. She said that she just wasn't right for me and that I deserved better.

"Yes I broke up with Cassie. Her name is Grace Evans," Just saying her name filled me with a happiness that I had never felt before.

"Grace Evans huh? Well what's she like? Is she pretty?" She pulled a chair up next to me.

"Extremely, but that's not why I like her. She's fun, and caring. She's passionate about so many things, like surfing and the sea. She has a great smile and a great laugh. Just being near her makes me happy, you know? I just can't stop thinking about her."

My sister looked at me with an expression of puzzlement, like she was trying to process what I had just said. Then a she flashed a broad smile, and said, "I want to meet her."

"Ok," was all I said.

"No Sam, I don't think you heard me. I want to meet her today. Like right now. If she means that much to you, then I want to meet her as soon as possible. But not with mom and dad. You know how they can be. How about we go to lunch or something. Or we could grab dinner. Either way I'm meeting her today."

"Ok I get it. Geese pushy much? I'll see what I can do. Oh and did I mention that I asked her to the Spring Festival . . . and she said yes?" I told Heather all about yesterday and the events that had unfolded on the isolated beach. She didn't say anything for a few minutes.

"Whenever I'm with her I feel like I have known her my whole life," I said to break the silence. "I just want to be near her all the time. I know that sounds cheesy and all, but it's true."

"It doesn't sound cheesy to me. In fact, I think it's sweet," She got up from her chair next to me and said, "I'm going for my run. I'll be back in a few. Whatever you do, don't tell mom and dad about Grace. If they ask you about the Spring Festival just say that you asked a girl from school, and that they would probably meet her on Friday," She turned to go, and stopped, "Now go call her and see when we can get together. If you don't, then I will." And then she was jogging down the back steps and through the backyard fence that lead to the street.

So what was I supposed to say? Hey I know this may be a little weird, but my sister wants to have lunch with you. I just asked her out! I can't ask her to meet my family yet. That's moving just a little too fast for me and probably for her too.

But I got her number from Oliver anyways. I couldn't help it. I had to hear her voice again even if I was going to make myself look stupid. I looked at the clock on my bedroom wall. It was 7:30 A.M. It wasn't to early. . .was it? I decided that it was and I headed down the stairs and to the kitchen for some breakfast. After I had eaten a bowl of cereal, I checked the time again. It was now almost 8:00. Just a little longer I said. It was Saturday after all.

I went back upstairs and headed for my bathroom. A shower was sure to calm my nerves, right? I started the water, and let it run for a few minutes while I headed back to my room for a clean polo shirt and jeans. Then I made my way back to the bathroom.

It was about 45 minutes later when I emerged from the steamy bathroom. I took my time, so I could waste a couple minutes. I was wearing a baby blue polo shirt and navy blue denim jeans. It was close to 9:00 now. Grace would be up by now right? I picked up my cell phone and dialed the number Oliver had given me.

After a few seconds I heard the dial tone buzzing in the background. I was pacing back and forth in the middle of my room. The dial tone stopped suddenly and my heart skipped a beat, and then it started again.

I was sure she wasn't going to answer when I heard, "Hello." I heard her sweet voice on the other line, but I was momentarily paralyzed. I didn't say anything.

"Hello?" She said again.

I snapped out of my stupor, and said, "Um Grace? It's Sam."

There was a moment of silence, and I could hear her quiet breathing in the background. I had surprised her, that much was clear.

"Is this a bad time?" I asked.

"No, no. Um hi," She said.

"I know it's early, but I have a weird question for you," I started.

"Ok what is it?"

"My sister would like to get together with you and have lunch or something. I know that sounds weird, but she found out we were going to the Spring Festival, and well she's a little pushy," The words spilled out of my mouth so fast, I wasn't sure if she had heard me at all.

"Well I'm going shopping and having lunch with Emma today, And then I'm babysitting for my dad this afternoon, but why don't I call you when I get done? I shouldn't be too late."

"Ya that sounds good." I was relieved that she had said yes.

"Are you going to come to?" That surprised me a little. I hadn't thought about that yet. Did I really trust Heather alone with Grace?

"Um, if you want me to, then ya."

"Ok then I guess I will talk to you later?"

"Ok I'll talk to you later."

I hung up the phone, and stood in the middle of my room for what felt like hours, but in reality it was only minutes. I thought about Grace as my heart swelled up with happiness.

Heather walked in just a few seconds after I hung up with Grace.

"So, how did it go? she asked me. I was still standing in the middle of my room, with my phone in hand.

"She already had plans for lunch and she has to babysit this afternoon, but she's going to give me a call when she's through."

"Great! Thanks Sam. I know you didn't want to call her like that but you did it anyways. I'm excited to meet her." She was leaning up against the door frame.

"I'm excited for you to meet her too."

The day was going to drag on. I was already starting to feel anxious. I needed to see her again. Even though I hardly knew her, she was the center of all my thoughts.

"Well I'm going to go take a shower, and try to find something to wear for tonight."

"Ok," I said, even though there was a chance she still wouldn't be able to make it.

Heather left and I was alone with my thoughts. I was going to dinner with Grace. . .maybe. . .and my sister. This was going to be interesting.

What would we talk about? What would I say? Was I even supposed to go? Grace wanted me to be there, she'd said so. I was laying in the middle of my bed stretched out and comfortable. I thought, yet again, about Grace as I drifted off to sleep.
It was well into the afternoon when I finally woke up. Since I hadn't gotten any sleep the night before, my nap was well appreciated. I glanced at my alarm clock and saw that It was 4:00. Wow I had literally slept the whole day away. I got up and stretched. After I was fully awake, I looked in the mirror. I looked awful. I had small dark circles under my eyes, and my clothes were wrinkled. My hair was bent in a million different ways.
I hurried through my shower and walked back to my room. I got dressed and blow dried my wet hair. I put on my shoes, and then glanced in the mirror. I looked better than I had. The dark circles were subsiding, and my hair was neatly brushed. My clothes were neatly pressed and wrinkle free. A few minutes later I heard a soft knock on my door, and said, "Come in."

I walked to my closet and grabbed a fresh polo shirt, this time cherry red. I dragged my feet all the way down the hall and to my bathroom. As soon as I closed the door, the events from the previous day, and this morning, came flooding back with a sudden urgency. I remembered that Grace was supposed to be calling me anytime now.

Heather stepped inside my door. She was wearing dark skinny jeans, and a short sleeved white shirt that flowed away from her body at the waist. She had a long gold chain around her neck that dropped almost to her waist. She had on tall black high heels and her blond hair was pinned up somehow with a few loose strands hanging freely.

"Did she call yet?" She asked.

"I-," But I was cut off by the sound of my cell phone ringing.

"Hello?" I said.

"Sam? It's Grace. I just left my dad's house. Do you still want to go to dinner?"

"Ya, where do you want to go?"

"How about I meet you guys at the Burger shack?"

"That sounds great."

"Ok, well I have to run home really quick, so I'll see you in a few ok?"

"Sounds great. See you there." I clicked the end button on my cell phone and filled Heather in.

"Yay! I'm going to go finish getting ready to go."

She looked ready enough to me. I checked my reflection in the mirror and tried to calm down. I was suddenly really nervous. About a half an hour later, Heather came in and said, "Are you ready?"

I nodded a little stiffly.

"It'll be fine. Come on."

She led me down the stairs and out the front door. She had her big black leather purse on her arm. She dug for her car keys as we closed the front door. When she found them, she unlocked the doors of her sleek gray Prius. Once settled inside, I felt my nervousness reaching an all time high.

Seeing the expression on my face, Heather said, "Relax. It's just dinner."

She stepped on the gas pedal and we rolled smoothly down the driveway, heading in the direction of the Burger Shack.

Wow it's really great I'm dying to know what happens the whole story is just so cute!

Sorry its taken me so long to reply. technical issues! Thanks so much! I'm glad someone liked it! I have more. . .but I'm not sure if or when I am going to post it. but you can read more at my blog: www.bookworm-central.blogspot.com :)

on May. 5 2012 at 3:08 am
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

that was good, that was good, really really GOOD!!!

please post up more if you have some i can't wait to know what happens, this story is ah-mazing.

and i totally love the quote.

<3