When Will I See You Again? | Teen Ink

When Will I See You Again?

By vbronk PLATINUM, Winona, Minnesota
vbronk PLATINUM, Winona, Minnesota

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

well actually it isn't a chapter it is a play that I wrote for drama class and wanted to keep going on it.

Jack: “When will I see you again? I don’t understand why you have to leave me. I thought everything was going great. What happened? What can I do to save us? I just don’t see why you have to leave me and go to England.” Jack said sadly.
-Jane moved toward Jack while she is speaking.-
Jane: “It’s for the best. Right now we aren’t getting along so well, and I want to be able to fix it. But I guess you just don’t understand right now that i need time for myself. Why can’t you just believe in the end it will be alright? Why can’t you just trust me?” Jane asked.

Jack: “I do trust you, I just don’t see why you have to go all the way to England to find your answers. Why can’t you just stay here with me? We can get a counselor if you think it is needed. honestly I think we are doing fine though, so I don’t understand how running off to England will help anything.” Jack explained.
Jane: “ I love you Jack, but our marriage just needs some time off right now. You need to stop worrying and just believe in the end everything will be back to normal. We will be in love all over again, and we will live the fairytale life. We will have a mansion full of children, and have our own swimming pool. Doesn’t that sound amazing? I promise you all these things will happen in time. I just need to go off to England for my job, and then when I get back we will start working on our dreams... together.” Jane explained with great details.
Jack: “You know I will wait for you and I always will. I know my life will not be complete without you here, but if you must go away for a while, I suppose I can live with that, as long as you don’t forget about me.” Jack said with tears in his eyes.
Jane: “I will never forget you, because I love you. My life is not complete without you either. Your my other half and I need you. I just want the opportunity to fix our relationship. if we continue the way we are right now, something bad might happen, and I don’t want anything bad to happen between us. You are the one that I want and no one else can take my heart away from you.” Jane said while holding back tears.
Jack: “I love you, and I hope you are safe. I know that you have always wanted to go to England, and i won’t stop you. I will continue with my job so when you get back in three months, I’ll be here waiting for you with our new dream house.... the mansion. I know exactly which one I’m going to buy, and honestly I know it is the house of our dreams. Both of us and the kids will be so happy there, we won’t ever be sad any longer.” Jack said with a smile on his face.
Jane: “That sounds great! I’ll be waiting for you and I love you so much. Before I leave I have one question though.” Jane asked.
-Jack walks toward his wife and asks.-
Jack: “What is it sweetie? Ask away, I’m listening.” Jack replied.
Jane: “How many children do you want to have? What are their names? Are they boys or girls or both? And who will they look more like, me or you?” Jane asked with a smile on her face.
Jack: “How many times do we have to go over this? I already told you love. I want to have three children. I want two girls and a boy. Their names will be Rose, Lilly, and Mason. Rose is named after the beautiful flowers you love, Lilly is named after the beautiful flowers that your mother loved, the same ones that are on her tombstone. And Mason will be named after my father, and Mason means “he who works with stone.” Explained Jack.
Jane: “Oh, I absolutely adore those names. You must of put a lot of thought into naming our children. I’m glad that this means so much to you.” Jane replied.
- Jane then looked over at the clock, which read 3:00 P.M., this meant her flight was leaving in less than an hour. She managed to grab all of her belongings she was going to take with, and then she told her husband goodbye. She also told him that she would call the second once she got to her hotel. He couldn’t say anything, all he did was look at her with sad eyes. She knew he was about to cry, and she knew inside that she was going to cry as well. She gave him one last kiss goodbye, and walked out the door. -
-Jack runs after his wife.-
Jack: “Wait, honey! Don’t leave yet. You forgot something.” Jack said while running toward the moving car.
Jane: “What is it? I don’t remember forgetting anything.” Jane said looking confused.
Jack: “You forgot me.” Jack replied.
Jane: “What are you talking about?” Jane said even more confused.
Jack: “Take this with you, and with this you will never forget me. Ever! I will always be with you. This is a piece of my heart, and I’m giving it to you. Take good care of it. And while this is with you, that means I’ll be with you as well.” Jack said without hesitation.
-Play “I will always love you” from Whitney Houston in the background softly.-
- Jack then handed Jane a small box that was labeled, “Jack’s Treasure Chest”, inside was a picture of Jane and all their times together. Their first date was in there along with their very last moment together. On the last picture was a note attached to it, it read,: “My darling, I knew that one day you were going to leave me, so you could spread your wings. i knew this time was coming soon so I put together this box, so that every time you missed me you could look at the picture and remember me. i love you, and I know you know that. Keep this box with you at all times, and the memories will never leave you. This is all of our treasured moments together and i have them with me in my heart. take good care of them, and just remember one thing: I’m with you always no matter where you are! I will protect you!” As Jane was reading the note, she noticed that she was crying. When she arrived at the airport, she looked down at the box in her hands and wondered what would happen if she stayed here with her husband. He was right they could settle the disagreement together. She grabbed her luggage and left the airport. She ran to her car as fast as she could, she knew she had to get home, so she could see her husband. She needed to be with him. Once she entered the car, she grabbed her cell phone and dialed his number. There was no answer so she decided to call the house, and again no answer. She was starting to get worried now because, she knew Jack and he always answered the phone. Suddenly she felt a strange feeling in her stomach, she knew something was wrong. her phone rang, and the caller I.D. read: St. Mark’s Hospital. As she answered the phone, she was thinking in her head, what had happened? -
-End scene 1-
-Close curtains and fade the lights.-
-Phone rings-
Jane: “Hello?” Jane answered.
The Hospital: “Is this Mrs. Jane Stone?” The nurse asked.
Jane: “Yes, Mam’, what happened? Is my husband hurt? Where is he? Can I come and see him?” Questioned Jane.
The Hospital: “I’m sorry Mrs. Stone, but your husband had a heart attack. I’m afraid he won’t make it through this time. This one was a lot worse than the few others in the past. If you would like to come over and say your last goodbyes before the funeral that would be just fine. Jane just remember that we are here for you, and know how much you two loved each other. When he died he was holding onto a picture of you. There was also a note on the back of it, it said, ”Dear Jane, i know this will be hard for you, but you know that i wasn’t going to live much longer. I’ll be watching over you, and just remember I’ll always be with you as long as you have that box with you at all times. Be strong for me and take care of the children. Make sure that Mason knows that since I’m gone, he is the man of the house now. Tell my girls that I love them and that daddy will always protect them even though I’m not there. I love you and will always love you.” The note was then sealed with a heart and a kiss. Jane I’m sorry this had to happen, especially at this time. I know you were about to leave for England, but sadly I don’t think you can go any longer.” The nurse replied.
Jane: “I already was on my way back. once I got to the airport, I knew I had to stay here. I just couldn’t leave my family. What am I supposed to do? I mean my husband is dead! What am I supposed to tell the children? How can I live without him? He was my whole life! I love him dearly and don’t know if I can go on without him.” Jane said sadly.
The Nurse: “I’m sorry, but like I said we are here for you if you need anything. We are like your family and we will do everything we can for you and your children. I know you will get through this and just remember stay strong. You can get through anything as long as you believe you can. Trust in yourself and remember your husband's letter to you. It’s what he would want for you, is to keep going on with your life.” Nurse Anna said.
Jane: “I know it is what he would want, but I just don’t know what to do without him. Do you mind, can I ask you something?” Jane asked curiously.
The Nurse: “Sure thing, honey, what is it that you need to ask me?” Asked the nurse.
Jane: “do you mind coming over after your done with work? I want to talk to you about my husband. Also I need to discuss with you about the funeral planning. Please can you come over? I could really use your help!” Jane said questioningly.
The Nurse: “Sure thing, I get done in an hour, I can come over right away. I’ll be at your house within the next hour and a half. Just remember stay strong and believe in yourself. Keep your children company and keep them safe.” The nurse replied.
Jane: “I will and thank you.” Replied Jane.
-End scene 2-
-Fade the lights close curtains.-
- Within the next hour and a half, Jane sat at her house wondering how to tell her children that their father was dead. Jane had no idea how to break the bad news to her children. She knew deep down that they would not take it well. once Nurse Anna arrived, Jane let her in and put the children to bed. Jane and Anna then went into the living room and sat on the sofa. They talked about the funeral arrangements for hours and discussed what Jane was suppose to do with the children by herself. This was their conversation. -
Jane: “What do you think I should do with the children? I mean how should I tell them that their father is dead?” Jane asked Anna.
Anna: “What I would say is just tell them the truth. Either way the children won’t take the news very good anyway. It’s going to devastate them. I mean their father is dead. What do you think the children will do once you tell them?” Anna asked curiously.
Jane: “Well my children are very strong and they don’t cry over spilled milk, so I think they will take it just fine. I mean they will be very sad that their father is dead, but they know that no matter if he is dead or not, that he is always there watching over them. He will always be there to protect them.” Jane replied with a smile, trying to remember the good times.
Anna: “Well that’s good to hear. I’m glad that you know that your children won’t freak out and get super depressed about their father dying. If there are any problems with them I can help you out. I’m here for you, no matter what happens.” said Anna.
Jane: “Thank you so very much. I’m so glad that I have a great friend like you. I will give you a call if I need anything. You’re just so great! Thank you!” Jane replied.
Anna: “You're welcome, and you deserve the help, after all of the stuff that you had to go through.” Anna said with a smile.
Jane: “Well I better get going on to bed now. I need to just relax and think over some things. I’m going to have to figure out what to do with the kids, when I’m at work and they come home after school. I know my mother can’t watch them because she works as well. I just don’t know what to do anymore. I can’t do this all by myself.” Jane said between sobs.
Anna: “Well just remember that you can do it and if you need any help just call me. Now I better get going, because I have to work in the morning. Have a good night’s rest and just remember I’m here for you.” Anna said while leaving.
-Play “your guardian angel” from the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.-
-Just as Anna was leaving Jane walked over to her room and looked in the mirror. She looked at her reflection and thought to herself why did this have to happen to me? He was a great and loving husband and he didn’t deserve to die. I loved him even though we fought a lot but I still loved him. He was the best husband a woman could have. She slowly started to back away from the mirror and went back into her bedroom and fell asleep in her bed. She dreamed of her husband that night. He was in her dreams telling her everything will be alright and to stay put.-
-The lights fade-
-End scene 3-

-The words in italics as the narrator reading.
- The words read by Jack is the husband who died in the story. He is a man about 30 years old, who died in a car crash.
-The words read by Jane are the main characters lines. She is Jack’s wife and she is about 28 years old.
-The words read by the hospital are Anna’s.
-The words read by Anna is Anna. She is a nurse at the hospital and a friend of Jane’s.

This book has 1 comment.

vbronk PLATINUM, Winona, Minnesota

― Marilyn Monroe

Please write a comment after you have had a chance to read this so I know what to do with the next chapter. Thanks!!