New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

More Precious Than Gold

Author's note: I began writing this the day after I learnt my grandfather had passed so in some ways, this is...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I began writing this the day after I learnt my grandfather had passed so in some ways, this is for him. R.I.P, Grandfather, I love you.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

An Idea

I’d never had any friends; I was basically a loner. No one liked to play with me, talk to me or even just hang out with me. I guess my snappy attitude and my disgust for the people around me didn’t help.
Every day was routine. I slugged through it with no purpose and meaning.
Another ordinary day; my alarm clock began beeping at a ridiculous hour in the morning. Groggily, I wedged one eye open and stared at the pitiful red numbers that gleamed at me.
Five thirty. Great. Another one of mum’s stupid pranks to get me out of bed on time.
In order to spite her, I slapped it to stop and rolled over in bed and when right back to sleep.
“Silver! Wake up!”
I groaned and sleepily eyed the clock. It was seven. I was going to be late, like every other day.
I dragged myself to the bathroom and showered before changing into ankle length black leggings, a black dress and a dark blue Hollister hoodie. I tied my black Converse and grabbed my bag before heading downstairs.
My mother was washing the dishes when I walked into the kitchen to grab my lunch. She gave me a narrow eyed I’m-getting-tired-of-this-nonsense look but didn’t say anything. I took an apple and left, slamming the front door behind me.
It was a half an hour walk to school. I loved walking; it was a refreshing journey. It was also great because it meant that I was ten minutes late for school.
“Ms Mysis,” Mrs. Tyson, the schools’ administrator, reprimanded me when I walked into reception to sign in. “You have been late every day for the last month and a half. This is unacceptable.”
“Sorry,” I mumbled, rolling my eyes.
She sighed. It was the same routine every morning.
I dragged my feet to first period. And similarly, I dragged my feet through the whole day.
Someone had sprayed whipped cream into my locker again so I spent most of third period wiping it out. I got tripped over in P.E. and spent the rest of fifth in sick bay holding an ice pack to my ankle.
At the end of sixth period I returned to sick bay to give back my ice pack, insisting that I was fine to walk home.
Muttering to myself about the nonsense of school I walked home, kicking a pebble along the pavement.
As I rounded the corner, I saw an ambulance parked outside my house. Even though I didn’t really like my mother, I couldn’t help the worry that rose into my throat as I saw police and ambulance officers surrounding our home.
“What’s happening?” I asked worriedly as I ran to the nearest officer.
The man looked at me.
“What your name?”
“Sylvia Mysis but everyone calls me Silver. And what’s going on?”
“Olivia Henderson has been found dead in her bedroom.”
I shrugged. Olivia had always been a little psycho. She hated her life more than I did mine.
“Silver!” called my mum.
I saw her running to me from next door. Now that I knew she was safe, the worry that was filling me had disappeared. I shrugged my shoulders and pushed past her as I headed for the house.
“Silver! Don’t you dare turn your back on me!”
I ignored her, slamming the front door behind me.
I think I deserved to turn my back on her, especially after she shut me out the way she did; making me live off takeaway and scraps because she was whining that Dad had left.
It had been a month and a half and our relationship still wasn’t improving and there wasn’t much I planned on doing about it.
I stood in my room, wondering what to do; repaint my nails black- they were beginning to chip- or read and listen to my iPod.
I rotated slowly around my pigsty of a room. As I turned, I happened to glance out the window. Through the drapes I could see the silhouettes of people photographing what I guessed was Olivia. She was hanging from the ceiling.
Lucky her. She’d escaped this horrible life by killing herself.
I froze. What a brilliant idea!
Killing myself- it could be the solution to everything.

YellowRose195 said...
This book is amazing - and the end was so beautiful, I think this is the best one in its catagory that I've read so far! Keep writing!

nemish23 replied...
Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:48 pm :
Aw, thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I am sure to post some new stuff soon so keep your eyes open :D

FakesmileThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm:

I loved your story! It's characters made it all the more real and your descriptions of them made a clear picture in my mind. At first I thought that Silver's name would end up being cheesy but it was really unique and well used with that character. :)

The story went along smoothly and i really liked the last words of the story. "Or Silver" very clever on your part... The title of the book was perfect, your chapter titles were pretty good, and overall the story was AMAZING

nemish23 replied...
May 31, 2012 at 1:47 am :
I'm glad you liked it! I really liked this book (not to gloat or anything) but it's my favourite of my books and I'm glad you like it!

Light_WalkerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:37 am:
This is better than your other one! I was in tears through most of it. I'm still envious of your style of writing and I hope to see more of your works in the future! If I may, how did you think this plot up, was it just a thought or an experience?

nemish23 replied...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm :

thanks so much! i'm glad someone likes my writing! and is envious of it! :)

the way i came up with it... well i thought a little about the cliche 'boy next door' kind of story and elaborated upon it a bit with the leukaemia thing. i'm not quite sure where i got the leukaemia idea from... maybe the fact i'm a little cancer cautious and my grandfather had just passed (not from cancer).

i promise to check out some of your work sometime!

<3

Light_WalkerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:23 am :
Thank you! I started out on this site just to get my poems out there, but now I'm hoping many people will look them over and give me some good advice! :)