The Girl With Different Colour Eyes | Teen Ink

The Girl With Different Colour Eyes

By nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

I threw my black school bag against the far wall. It watched as it settled itself on the floor, quivering from impact. The vase on the table wobbled precariously but didn’t fall.
“Stacey!” roared a voice from the depths of the house.
I rolled my eyes, grabbed a glass of orange juice, a slice of toast and sat down on one of the bar stools at the kitchen bench.
I had swallowed the last mouthful of toast when a sound of heels clicking against the tiles told me that my mother was coming. Soon she appeared next to me, a tired look the bright green eyes I hated. She was wearing a beige coloured suit with her favourite black pumps.
“How was your day?” she asked politely, biting into an apple from the fruit bowl.
I shrugged and chugged down the last of my juice.
“Got any homework?” she tried again.
I shrugged again. Wasn’t the answer obvious? Who came home from school without homework?
“I’m going for a meeting and I won’t be home until late so don’t wait up.”
“Like I would anyway,” I muttered under my breath, so soft my mother only glanced at me, her expression not acknowledging what I said.
“If you want, ask Brendan or someone over to keep you company.”
“Why would I ask my brother over to keep me company?” I asked at normal conversation level, a slight sneer to my voice.
“Your brother is your family, Stacey,” my mother’s voice took on the stern tone that she used when she was angry with me.
“Family, schfamily,” I muttered, getting up and stomping up the stairs. She should know better than anybody else how dysfunctional families could be.
I slammed my bedroom door as hard as I could so that my mother would know not to come and bother me again. I looked around.
I could see the black paint covering my walls cracking at the corners, the baby pink paint underneath peeping through. The black desk in the corner was crammed full of books and the black laptop was humming on hibernate. My black quilt was bundled on the bottom of my bed, revealing the dark grey sheets underneath.
I pulled off my black hoodie and placed in on the back of my study chair. Putting my earphones in, I switched on my iPod and sat on the floor, leaning against my bed. I grabbed the closest book, one of the many that had fallen off my desk and began to read. Pride and Prejudice. Who wasn’t a fan of the classics?
After a while, I became bored, I’d read the book so many time, so I switched off my iPod and glanced at the clock. I decided to do my maths homework for half an hour and then go and finish the rest at Brendan’s café. On principle, I hated public places, but Brendan and his girlfriend Olivia, had bought this small café to earn some money and it hardly got any customers except those who lived within two blocks. So, for someone like me who adored peace and quiet, it was perfect.
Thirty five minutes later, I donned the sunglasses I always wore outside, grabbed my hoodie and my bag and walked to my brother’s café. A Piece of Heaven, it was called. Such a lame name.
The door dinged as I opened it. Olivia was wiping down tables and my brother was lounging around behind the counter. There was only one man in a tweed coat sitting on one of the far tables. I sat down in one of the corner tables and asked Olivia for a hot chocolate. I spread my books out on the table in front of me and began to work.
I didn’t understand why people hated school. It wasn’t amusing or fun, but it was a place of learning and I for one found learning interesting. I also didn’t understand why people complained about homework, it wasn’t any bother to me.
I sipped my hot chocolate and calmly set about working. A mother came in with her two kids. They took one look at me and turned away. I guess the sunglasses really turn people off.
Next a businessman, in what was easily a hundred dollar suit, walked in and order coffee for several people. Then a young girl, maybe around ten, came in with her little brother. Her little brother stared at me, possibly wondering why I was wearing sunglasses inside. Well, at least they weren’t off, he’d be staring even more.
The next visitor caught my attention. It was a boy, no older than sixteen. Therefore, he was my age. He had sandy blond hair, curls that were flopping lazily over his forehead. When he entered, he looked around. As he glanced at me, his sparkling blue eyes seemed to glow with curiosity and the corner of his mouth turned up. My eyes widened, but of course, he wouldn’t see that, they were hidden behind my sunglasses. He was possibly, the best looking guy I’d seen. Ever.

I watched as he approached my brother.
“Hi, can I help you?”
“I need a job.”
My brother just looked at him. “I’m sorry but, we don’t really need any more hands. As you can see, business is booming.”
The boy smiled at the joke. “But I can make sure that business will boom. I have that sort of knack with people.”
Even his voice was irresistible. It was deep and attractive. I shook my head. What was I thinking?
It wasn’t in my nature, but I couldn’t help being fascinated by him. I found myself watching as he argued with my brother.
“Come on! I need the job, man,” he complained.
“We’re fine,” repeated my brother.
The boy was about to open his mouth to reply when, to everybody’s surprise, I spoke up. “Brendan, just let him have the job.”
Everyone stared at me. If I could, I would have stared at myself.
Probably as a result of the shock, my brother nodded. His perfect chocolate coloured eyes were boring into me, trying to figure out what made me speak.
The boy walked over to me. “Thanks.”
I looked at him. “No problem.” The sneer of the tone I had spoken in to my mother returned to my voice.
He didn’t seem to notice. “I’m Chris.”
“Stacey. That’s my brother Brendan.”
He glanced over at my brother. Then he turned back to me, eyebrows raised. “Do you always where sunglasses indoors?”
I nodded. “Except for when teachers force me to take them off.”
He cocked his head. “Why?”
Sighing, I lifted my hand and took off my sunglasses.
The boy gasped.
I glanced at my hot chocolate mug and my reflection gleamed back at me. My eyes, especially, were attention grabbing. My left eye was hazel green and my right chocolate brown. I glared in my brother’s direction. Him and his perfect brown eyes.
“Your eyes are beautiful,” muttered Chris. Then a shocked expression crossed his face as what he said dawned on him.
I grimaced at him and slid my glasses back on. I hated my eyes. Everybody stared at them and asked if I was wearing contacts. I hated being the centre of attention when people saw my eyes; I hated attention in general.
Ignoring him, I continued answering the questions on the page in front of me. I heard the chair next to me move and realised he’d sat beside me.
“Do you hang out here often?”
I shrugged. “Often enough.”
“She never comes here much anymore,” said Brendan walking over. “I miss the little sis who loved poking marshmallows in her hot chocolate and picking the hundreds and thousands out of finger buns before giving up and eating the whole thing.”
“Don’t remind me,” I growled at him, pulling my hood further over my head.
My tone obviously caught Chris off guard. He flinched away from me. My brother gestured for him to get to his feet and the two of them walked to the counter, probably discussing business.
I scowled. I wasn’t going to get any work finished here. I shoved all my books back into my bag and slung it over my shoulder.
As I reached the door, it suddenly swung open. I looked up to see Chris holding it.
“May I walk you home?”
I merely looked at him. Then I shrugged.
I began walking in the direction of home. He kept pace beside me.
It was a silent walk. For some strange reason, I had an urge to ask him lots of questions. I surprised myself by beginning.
“Are you new to town?”
“Yes. I’m starting school tomorrow. I moved here with my sister. Day before yesterday.”
“Why?”
He hesitated. “Wanted a change of scenery, I guess.”
I swallowed the other questions that leapt to the tip of my tongue. But it didn’t work for long. “How long are you staying?”
“Dunno. As long as we want I guess. That’s why I need a job. We have no other source of money.”
“Have-.”
“Do I get to ask you a question?”
This surprised me. What about my boring, miserable life could this cute boy want to know?
“Um. Sure?”
“Why?”
“Why what?”
“Why do you dress like that? Black and all.”
I looked down. I was wearing black skinny jeans, black Converse, a dark blue t-shirt and my black hoodie.
“Black represents death.”
“And?”
“And nothing.”
I couldn’t tell him the truth. Only my mother and brother knew the truth. It wasn’t something I wanted to share with anyone else. It brought back bad memories.
“Why do you hide your eyes?”
“I hate my eyes.” At least this, I could answer truthfully.
“Why? They’re beautiful.”
“They’re attention grabbing and horrible.”
He pursed up his lips. He clearly didn’t agree with me.
I came to a halt. We were outside my house.
“Why are you stopping?”
“This is my house.”
I gestured to the three storey white brick house with a circular driveway and bright green lawn that was in front of us.
He whistled. “You live here?”
“Yeah. Unfortunately, we’re the rich type.”
“Unfortunately? This is cool.”
I hesitated. There was something I could ask. Something I wanted to ask. Something I shouldn’t ask.
“Wanna come in?”
Stacey! What is wrong with you? I mentally hit myself on the back of the head.
“Can I?”
“My mother’s not home. She’s working late tonight.”
He nodded, so I walked to the front door and unlocked it. It opened to a large tiled downstairs; the lounge room and dining room taking up most of the front area. The sun room and the kitchen took up the back.
“My mum’s room and my room as well as our bathrooms are upstairs and the study and rumpus are at the top. Guest rooms are at scattered around.”
I threw my bag against the wall of the sun room, like I had this afternoon, and grabbed more orange juice from the fridge.
“What some?” I offered.
He shook his head. I poured myself a glass, then walked upstairs to the rumpus and turned on the television. He came and sat beside me.
“Anything in particular you want to watch?” I asked him. He shook his head again.
I hit the mute button and turned around so that I was facing him.
“What? Are you still in awe of the house or something?”
“I guess. I never took you for the sort of person who would live in a mansion with rich parents.”
“Parent,” I corrected him before I could stop myself.
“Oh. What happened to your father?”
“I’d rather not say.”
He seemed to accept that. My father wasn’t someone I wanted to talk about, not when he had ruined my life.
Chris took the remote from me and unmuted it. Then he changed the channel to something I had never watched before.
I leant back on the leather couch and closed my eyes. Cautiously, I lifted my glasses off my head and placed them next to me.
“Stacey?” asked a soft voice.
I opened my eyes and gasped. His face was so close to mine. His eyes were level with mine and his breath tickled my face.
Hesitating, he leaned forward slightly, his head tilted. I took a deep breath and grabbed his shoulders and pushed him away from me.
He blinked and shook his head. “Did I do something wrong?”
“I just-. I’m not ready for a relationship right now.”
I watched as the confused gleam in his eyes turned to sadness.
“I’m sorry.” I felt so bad, but after the last man that was in my life, I wasn’t ready for a relationship.
He looked at me. “It’s alright. Well, I guess I’d better go.”
I nodded, numbly, letting my eyes drop to the couch. He stood up and stopped. I looked up to see what was holding him back and was shocked by the torn expression on his face.
Then very suddenly, he leaned down and pressed his lips to my forehead for one brief second. Then he turned around and in the next second he was gone.
A minute later I heard the front door slam. Yet I couldn’t think about that.
All I could think about was the burning sensation on my forehead. As if his lips had created a permanent mark on my clear skin.

I couldn’t help but search for him, the next day at school. Soon I found him. He was sitting by himself at a table in the cafeteria. I half smiled, grabbed my tray and walked towards him. But before I could get to him, a group of girls blocked my path.
“You new?” asked the blond girl in the front. I rolled my eyes. Chelsey Jacobs. Most popular girl in the school. Blond haired, blue eyed, stereotypical girly girl.
“Yeah.”
“I’m Chelsey. These are my girls; Tanya, Kate and Sasha.”
“Hi.”
“What’s your name?”
“Chris.”
“Well, Chris, why don’t you come sit with us?”
She gestured to a far table where boys in varsity jackets were laughing and cheering as another guy attempted to shove a whole cheeseburger down his throat. Gross.
“Jocks, huh? Don’t think I’d really mix with you guys.”
“Are you kidding? It just takes time.”
Something inside me snapped. He clearly didn’t want to join them but they wanted him to. It came from personal experience. He’d accepted me as I was; merely curious as to why I lived the way I do.
“He’s with me,” I spoke up before Chris could reply.
Chelsey and her entourage turned to face me.
“Oh look. It’s the vampire.”
“Haha. Really lame joke, Chelsey.”
It was a rumour in the school that I was a vampire with red eyes; it was the only explanation the seemed to be able to come up with for my sunglasses.
She glared at me and walked off, her hips and hair swinging.
“Thanks.”
I turned back to Chris who had a thankful look on his face.
“Any time.”
As I sat down I could feel Chelsey’s stare burning into my back. But I refused to turn around. I stabbed a fork into the lettuce of my salad. Chris didn’t say anything. Neither did I.
The bell rang for last period. I looked up at Chris. “Great talking to you.”
He smiled. “Yeah, great chat.”
“You starting work today?”
“Yes. Are you going to pop in?”
“You never know, I just might.” Am I flirting? I was shocked at myself. “If I have a very good reason.”
His smile grew wider. “See you later then.”
Last period flew by. I have no idea what even happened. If you asked me what the teacher said, I would have no idea.
When the last bell went, I hurried home, anxious to get to the café as soon as possible. I still had no idea why I had this sudden obsession with this boy.
The minute I stepped into the café, I came to an abrupt halt.
It was crowded. The place was packed with people.
I pushed my way to the front of the queue where Brendan was frantically trying to keep up with orders.
“What’s going on?”
He looked up at me. “Chris’ got the crowd going.”
I looked over to the corner, where a boy was singing. After my eyes adjusted to the spotlight I realised it was Chris.
His voice was deep and rich when he spoke just normally. When he sang, it was even better. I felt myself close my eyes and sway to the song.
“Thank you,” said Chris when he’d finished the song. I opened my eyes to see people throwing coins into the open guitar case in front of him.
I slid into my usual table in the corner which was still free and watched as the line shuffled forward. Chris scanned the café and I half smiled when he caught my eye.
He stood up, thanking the people who stopped him, and then headed my way.
“How did you do this?”
“Get all the people into here? I have great people skills.”
I thought back to the scene in the cafeteria. “Sure.”
“Not when it comes to people my age though.”
“Oh.”
He slid into the chair next to me. “You going to order a drink?”
“Line’s too long. Maybe later.”
He looked at me and smiled. I blinked. Every time he smiled he revealed a line of perfectly straight, white teeth. “What do you want?”
“Hot chocolate. Why?”
He walked over to the counter and said something to Brendan. My brother glanced up at me and nodded. Chris returned to my table a minute later carrying two hot chocolates. I pulled out my wallet to pay him back but he shook his head.
“My treat.”
I smiled. No boy had ever bought me anything. Except the one person I never wanted to talk about.
I took a sip of my hot chocolate and felt a marshmallow touch my lip.
“Marshmallows?” I looked at Chris in surprise.
“Thought you might like them.”
I laughed. Chris had a hot chocolate moustache along his upper lip.
“What?”
I took a tissue out of the holder on the table and gave it to him, pointing at his lip. He dabbed at his lip, smiling as the froth came off on the tissue.
We sat in silence, sipping out hot chocolates until he was called forward to sing again.
I stayed where I was and watched as he picked up his guitar and tuned it. Then he leaned towards the microphone.
“This song is one I wrote recently after I moved here. I very special friend of mine inspired it. I hope you like it.”
He glanced at me as he spoke and I felt myself frowning. Hopefully he wasn’t singing about me. He seemed to understand what I was trying to say and his smile faltered.
Nevertheless, he began singing anyway. As the song progressed I realised that yes, it was about me. It brought back bad memories, of the last time someone decided to sing for me.
I stood up, my back to him and left. I could hear the music end abruptly and my name called but I didn’t respond.
The café door opened as I walked away.
“Stacey!”
His voice was irresistible but I forced myself not to look around.
“Stacey what’s wrong?”
Still, I didn’t answer.
“Stacey has no boy ever sung to you before? Are you embarrassed?”
That made me snap and I turned around.
“Yes. In fact, someone has done that before and it is not associated with many happy memories.”
He gave me a questioning look.
“It’s not something I care to talk to you about and if you don’t mind, I’m going home.”
And with that I turned on his heel and the lack of footsteps behind me told me that he did not follow.

The next day, the minute I stepped through the school gate he came and found me.
“Stacey, I want to know what’s wrong. I want to understand.”
“That doesn’t mean I am going to tell you.”
I turned away but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back to look at him.
“Tell me!”
I sighed. “I can’t.”
He grabbed my hand and pulled me in the direction of the oval.
“Where are we going?”
“Somewhere quiet where I can persuade you to tell me what’s wrong.”
There was a group of trees at the far end of the oval where we seated ourselves.
“Before you start…”
He let the sentence trail off. Then carefully he reached over and took off my sunglasses. He placed them on the ground next to us and took my hands in his. His hands were large, warm and comforting.
“Now, tell me.”
I didn’t want to tell him, I didn’t want to have to relive my experience but for some reason I found myself admitting everything to him.
“My father was making a business deal with a man one day. This business deal was a big matter for my father, it was going to change our lives. But one of the conditions of the deal was that my father would allow him to marry me. Of course, I didn’t want to marry him; it was only a year ago so I was still fifteen. But my father forced me to marry him. He forced me to endure the courting, the songs, the flirts. It was horrid, the worst experience of my life.
“A couple of weeks before the wedding, I was forced to move in with him. That was even worse and I guess it was only an indication of what was going to come next. He got drunk a lot of the time and he’d try to strip and abuse me. He’d hit me when I didn’t cooperate. But father wouldn’t let me back out and my mother couldn’t convince him otherwise. But the night before the wedding, my father and my… fiancé, I guess he was, were out partying the upcoming day and were driving home. Why they were drinking and driving I don’t know but they met with an accident and they were both killed. From that moment I was free. My father left my mother and me with a large fortune, and even my… fiancé left me money.”
He was silent when I finished. I couldn’t bring myself to look at him so I stared down at our hands. Then he gently untangled one of his hands and raised it to my chin, forcing me to look at him.
There was sympathy in his deep blue eyes. His expression was soft and understanding.
I felt the tears well up in my eye. I had cried myself to sleep so many nights before the wedding, but now those nights were merely nightmares. I had shunned myself from the world; I was afraid to be me, afraid that someone else would come and take control of my life.
“I’m sorry,” he whispered and pulled me to his chest. He’s arms snaked around my back and he buried his face in my hair. My hair that I constantly kept straight and black, instead of its natural brown waves.
I curled up against his chest, remembering the last time someone hugged me like this was the day I returned home and my mother was overjoyed for me. The next day I’d changed; my wardrobe and my attitude; I’d changed me forever.
I heard the school bell ring in the distance, but we didn’t move.
“Are you planning on going to class today?” I asked into his chest.
I felt him shrug. “I probably should it’s only my second day.”
I sighed. That was true. I disentangled myself from him and got to my feet, sliding on my sunglasses.
I offered him my hand to help him up, but once he was standing he wouldn’t let go. And together we walked across the oval back to school.
He walked me to my first period class. He kissed me lightly on the cheek before disappearing with a promise to save me a seat at lunch.
The rest of the day passed in a blur. We sat together during lunch, not saying much like yesterday.
We parted at my house, he promised to meet me at the café in half an hour.
Half an hour later I was sitting in my usual seat, sipping a hot chocolate. But even twenty minutes later, he hadn’t showed.
I waited for another two hours, watching customers come and go, one of the busiest days my brother had ever had, but still Chris never showed.

Tired of waiting and close to tears, I left at nearly seven. I didn’t know why I was crying over him. The day I’d been set free I had promised myself that I would never ruin my life again over a guy. I guess I’d been wrong.
He’d stood me up and it hadn’t felt good.
When I got home, I showered, changed into black track pants and a navy blue sweat shirt and curled up in front of the television.
I heard my mother come home. She called up the stairs saying that she had ordered Chinese for dinner.
The doorbell rang ten minutes later while my mother was in the shower.
“That’s probably the home delivery. Can you grab it please honey?”
I muttered cursed words under my breath as I stomped down the four flights of stairs. The doorbell rang again impatiently.
“Coming!” I called hurrying to the door.
I grabbed the cash my mother had left on the kitchen bench and unlocked the door.
I hadn’t realised that it had begun raining but a soaked and shivering Chris was standing on my doorstep.
“What?” I asked sharply after a silence during which all he did was stare at me.
“I’m s-so-orry,” he shivered.
My heart went out to him all shivering and cold but I refused to feel any sympathy. He wasn’t the one who’d sat in a café by himself for nearly three hours.
“If that’s all you came to say then please leave.”
I attempted to close the door but he stuck out his foot.
“Stacey, just give me a chance to explain.”
I shook my head firmly. “When I was free of the menace I was supposed to marry, I swore to myself that I would never be held back by another guy. I’m sorry but I think it best if you leave.”
This time his foot didn’t stop me from closing the door, but his words did.
“My sister went into labour and I had to take her to the hospital. She didn’t want me to leave, but I told her that I had to come and see you.”
I caught the door before it closed.
“Your sister what?”
This time I allowed him to come in. I grabbed some towels from the laundry so he wouldn’t drip over my mum’s tiles and spread a plastic sheet over one of the kitchen stools for him to sit down.
I set about making him a mug of hot chocolate, with marshmallows of course, and warming up a slice of pizza from takeaway three days ago.
He ate and drank hungrily; obviously he hadn’t eaten since lunch. When he was done, I leaned on the bench across for him and waited for him to speak.
“You’re not the only one with problems in your life you know.”
I waited patiently for him to continue.
“Nine months ago, my sister was walking home from university when she got attacked and raped. My parents are very law abiding and strictly Christian people and my sister knew that if my parents ever found out they’d force her into abortion. Even though the baby had been conceived under unspeakable circumstances, my sister loved it so we made a plan and we ran away. With the little money we had we came here. I enrolled in school but I needed the job at your brother’s café. It’s about three blocks from the rundown apartment we managed to get and we need the money for food and other supplies. I came home this afternoon to find my sister screaming on the floor and I used all the money I had with me to pay for a taxi to take her to the hospital.
“I stayed with her, even though I knew that you were waiting for me. I couldn’t leave her; we’re real close, my sister and me. I convinced her that I had to come and see you to apologise. I ran all the way here from the hospital. Stacey, I’m sorry but I want you to give me a chance. I- I really like you.”
I smiled at the way his tone turned shy.
“Stacey!” called another voice.
I turned to see my mother standing in the hall gaping at us.
“It wasn’t the Chinese takeaway, Mum, it was Chris. He’s… a friend from school. But we really need a lift to the hospital.”
“Are you hurt?” She sounded concerned.
“No. My sister’s in labour and I left her to come and find Stacey.”
My mother turned back to the stairs. “Go out to the car. I’ll be down in two.”
The doorbell rang as we turned to the garage. I paid for the dinner and put it in the fridge. We could eat it later.
“Wow.” That was all Chris could say when he saw the six cars in our garage.
“Yeah. Dad had a bit of an obsession with cars.”
Dad’s Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini were covered at the far end of the garage. My Mercedes for when I got a licence was sitting next to Mum’s BMW which was the closest to the door.
Within ten minutes we’d made it to the hospital and we were soon in the room where Katie, as I learned her name to be, was still in labour.
It was a long night but at four o’clock in the morning on the following day, Katie gave birth to a beautiful baby boy.

My mother phoned the school and informed them that Chris and I wouldn’t be coming to school that day. She drove us home, promising to return to the hospital later that day to pick up Katie.
We’d made a decision and while Chris and Katie were breaking the news to their parents, they could stay in one our many guestrooms.
Chris collected everything in their apartment and brought it over to our house. Mum dug up some of the stuff from when I was a baby and we set up a small nursery in the corner of what would be Katie’s room. Chris took the room next to mine and then Mum left to work half day at about midday.
At some point, Chris and I retreated upstairs to watch television, but the next thing I remembered was waking up across his chest at about five o’clock.
I stretched and sat up. Chris looked up at me.
“How long have you been awake?”
“Not long.”
He smiled at me and I found myself smiling back at him.
“Hungry?”
He patted his stomach. “A little.”
I washed my face and rinsed my hands and set about making us some sandwiches. Mum called and said that she was picking Katie up at six thirty and then coming home.
We took juice and sandwiches up to the rumpus and ate. Then we leaned back against the couch, laughing.
“It was literally the funniest thing I have ever seen.”
Chris had finished telling me about one particularly funny family summer BBQ.
Once our laughter had died down, he turned and faced me.
“I’ve never told anyone that story.”
“I’ve never told anyone about what happened to me.”
“I never told anyone what happened to my sister either.”
“We must trust each other.”
He took my hands in his. “I hope you do trust me.”
I cocked my head. “Why?”
And that’s when he leaned forward and softly pressed his lips to mine.
I felt myself relax as his arms wove around me and my fingers tangled in his hair.
His lips tasted sweet and I felt happier than I had in a long time.
Then, all too soon, it was over.
“I do trust you,” I said as soon as I’d recovered my breath.
He smiled, kissing me softly for a second. Then he kissed my forehead, my cheeks, my nose before kissing my lips again.
“I love you,” he whispered, leaning his forehead against mine.
I smiled at him. “I love you too.”
I was strange. I’d only known this guy for three days yet I was already saying that I loved him. Wow, everything had happened so quickly.
“Your eyes are the most beautiful thing about you.”
“Thanks.” It was a nice compliment to hear from him.
“You have to promise me you’ll never wear those ugly glasses again and cover those beautiful eyes.”
I opened my mouth to protest but he gave me a stern look and my will crumbled.
“I promise.”
“That’s my girl.”
And he leaned into to kiss me again.

“Stacey! Doorbell!”
It was winter dance and the doorbell was obviously Chris. I heard my mother hurry to answer it.
A lot had changed in the previous year. Chris and Katie had eventually told their parents what had happened. They’d been mad, but glad to have their children back. They’d agreed to move here, and they’d settled down not far from our place.
Chris and I have gone everywhere together. On dates and with our families. We were inseparable at school, the best of friends.
I twirled in front of the mirror one last time, causing my brown waves to fly about me. I had dyed my hair back to its original colour and I planned to keep it that way. I had thrown out my sunglasses and my wardrobe. Mum had no problem with taking Katie and me shopping for a new wardrobe.
The sequined purple dress with silver straps that Katie had picked out, twirled with me. The strappy black heels matched my black clutch and my eyes sparkled with happiness. I was no longer afraid of people making fun of my eyes, even though some still did, Chris had helped me begin to see the beauty in them.
I checked my make-up and took a deep breath before heading for the stairs.
Chris was standing with my mother at the bottom of the stairs as I slowly descended. I watched as his eyes widened and smiled.
He reached out for my hands and slipped on a corsage. Then Mum made us pose for pictures before we headed out to the car.
I was still in the process of completing my hours for a licence but Chris already had his.
The school, when we arrived, was decorated in white. It looked like it was covered in snow when truly, it wasn’t.
I waited patiently for Chris to come and open my door and offer his arm. I slipped my hand through it and we walked towards the school.
I am happy to say that we do have some friends now. It’s not like we sit by ourselves every day. Some of them were waiting for us at the entrance and we all entered the hall together.
We were all swept onto the dance floor. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his arms slipped around my back.
I had nearly forgotten all the bad days that had happened before Chris arrived. I have so many good memories to remember instead. But sometimes that man’s face still reminds me of the fear that I hold inside me, but Chris is always there to help push it away.
After slow dancing for a while, he grabbed my hand and twirled me towards the door.
Outside, he guided me to one of the benches and we sat down.
He put his arm around my shoulder and we sat there in silence looking back at the hall.
“I’ve never been to a dance before,” I admitted to him after a while.
“Ever?”
“The winter dance was just before you arrived last year and then we were holidaying with our families in the summer for the other one.”
“Right.”
He took my shoulders and turned me to face him.
“Then I’m glad that I was the one to give you your first school dance experience. How’re you enjoying it?”
I smiled mischievously. “I think it’s missing something.”
A smile played over his lips as he understood what I meant.
His arms snaked around my waist, pulling me closer to him and then he brought his lips down over mine.
I sighed. I was perfectly content. I had the best boyfriend in the world and a brilliant life. Even my mother was dating now, and something was telling me that everything was going to be alright.
Sure, we all had those bad memories that sometimes threatened to overwhelm us, but we just had to be positive.
I mean, without those bad memories we wouldn’t have Little Johnny, now would we?”
But even when those memories came back to haunt us, we had friends and family ready to help.
And Chris just always kept reminding me:
“Never forget; your eyes are the most beautiful part of you.”

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

THIS WAS AMAZINGLY WRITTEN. One of my favorite favorite books of romance. Thank you for sharing this! 

on May. 31 2012 at 1:54 am
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

I'm not quite sure whether to take the Twilight thing as a compliment... seeing how I don't really like it. But thanks!!!

I know about all the problems you said. This was one of the stories I wrote on the spur of the moment without thinking about it. I have written another one named 'More Precious Than Gold' which I reckon is a little better if you'd like to check it out! :)

But I'm glad you like it!

on May. 30 2012 at 2:47 am
Cantrella PLATINUM, Kamuela, Hawaii

" Backward, turn backward
oh time in your flight,
make me a child again,
just for tonight." E.A. Allen

Really sweet story, the protagonist was prickly, but likeable-something that is very hard to do. 

I had a few problems, one was that if Stacy was 15, technically she couldn't legally be married, and if her financee had tried to strip her, she could report him as a rapist. I would've liked to know more about the dad since he seemed perfectly okay with letting this happen, and how he kept the mom from reporting it as well. 

On a whole, the story was really well done so I was a little sad on how short it was. Has a bit of a Twilight feel to it as well which is fun. Keep up the good work!

nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

awwww......

thanks so much! this was one of my stories that i didn't like so much... i have some others if you want to read them! :)

<3

Light_Walker SILVER, Lafayette, Indiana

“There comes a time in our lives when we do things that we don’t understand. We confuse ourselves, we might even logically oppose our impulses and yet we act on them anyway... There are some things that we feel that we absolutely must do. We might know that they are wrong, or pointless, or gravely punishable, and yet we do them anyway. These actions are not born of anger or emotion – we are perfectly sober. It’s rather inexplicable. When the time comes, we can’t stop ourselves and so we cannot blame ourselves.” -Umasi, Truancy

such an amazing story! you're story telling is amazing. I'm a bit jealous. :) you should keep up the good work and write more!

nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

thanks!

i know it was a little fast, but the idea kind of occurred to me and i couldn't be bothered to spend too  much time on it!

but thanks for the advice and i'll remember it for next time!

Zuccini75 BRONZE, Chantilly, Virginia

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder, than telling them yourself."
-Myself

This is good, I would have liked it to go a bit slower - it happened in a couple of days and they were already telling each other they loved them, but other then that it was well written!