Always

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

What a Day...

Always
“Dante, Stop! That’s enough! He’s not worth it! Let him go!” I pulled Dante away from the bloody boy with all my might. He struggled, eager to have another go at the boy; I moved in front of him, grabbed his face, and made him look me in the eye.
“Stop … Just stop …” His eyes, a bright green, held a murderous intent. I knew, if I hadn’t of stopped him, he would have killed that guy. The crowd around us watched in an eerie silence. Someone had called an ambulance and the police put Dante in handcuffs and stuffed him in the back of a patrol car.
“Can I see him please?” I asked the older policeman who had detained him.
“I’m sorry, but I can’t do that. Besides, he’s really angry right now, might not be a good idea to let you near.”
“But I think I could help. Please.” I said, giving the old man the biggest and saddest pair of puppy-dog eyes I could find for being 17 and not 7. It paid off.
“I guess for a few minutes, but don’t tell anyone.”
“It’ll be our little secret.”
I was lead out into the parking lot, passed the spot the ambulance had pulled up to. I imagined the bloodied face of that guy Dante beat the s*** out of. I don’t think anyone deserved that, even after what he did.
“I’ll be right over there. Don’t try anything funny. Call if you need me.”
Dante’s eyes were closed and his head rested against the window. I tapped on the window and scared him. I opened the car door.
“This isn’t exactly how I planned to spend our day together,” I said, “But it’s definitely been an exciting one.” Dante laughed at my not-so-funny joke.
“Sorry about that, Babe, but that asshole touched you and … well … I wasn’t going to let anything else happen to you.” It was very sweet in a weird, possessive boyfriend way.
“Yeah, well, thanks, I guess. Dante, you know you’re going to jail right?”
He gave me a goofy grin and said, “Yeah, Babe, I figured I was. Me sitting in a police car was a dead give-away. No, wait, it was the handcuffs. Or was it the guy in the blue suits and badges?”
“Smartass, maybe you should go to jail.”
“I’m going to jail for beating that guys face in. People love me for being a smartass.”
“Are you sure about that?”
“You’re still with me, aren’t you?” I gave him a look that said, “I really don’t appreciate the sarcasm.” Dante served up another goofy grin.
“Don’t worry about me sweetheart,” he said, “I’ll be just fine.” But I couldn’t just stop worrying. Dante was going to jail and he expects me not to worry.
“Sweetheart,” his voice broke me out of my daydream, “don’t worry about it. I’m fine. You’re fine. That asshole might not be fine, but we are and that’s what counts.” He gave me that grin again. But there was something in his eyes.
Doubt.
“Doubt,” I called him on it, “I see it.”
He looked away and gave a sad chuckle. “You’re good, Babe. I’m scared to death.”
“I am too. But I got you, and I’m not going anywhere. You’re stuck with me.”
Always.