His Only Girl

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Chapter 1

Zoe Harrington walked into East High School with her friends Maggie Dawson and Veronica Anson.
From the other door, Chase Mathews and his friends Matt Anderson and Andy Patterson came strolling in as well.
When Zoe and Chase crossed paths, Chase said, “Hey Zoë.”
And at the same time, he brushed his hand against hers.
“Oh, hey Chase,” Zoe replied. “Soft hands.”
She gave him a flirty smile before her friends dragged her down the hall.
“What’s wrong?” Zoe asked.
“Uh, hello!?” Maggie said. “What was that back there with Chase?”
“Nothing,” Zoe said.
“Mmhm,” Veronica said. “And you expect us to believe that?”
“Yeah,” Zoe said. “There’s nothing going on between me and Chase.”
Later at lunch, Chase’s friends were hounding him down about the same thing.
“Dude, what’s up with you and Zoe?” Matt asked. “Its like, every time you two cross paths, you act all flirty.
“Its nothing you guys need to know about,” Chase said.
“Really? Well, we being friends and all should mean we should tell each other everything. Especially flirting with you female friends!” Andy reminded him.
“Zoe and I are just really close friends,” Chase said. “And if we started anything more, I promise you, I will tell you.”
“Well then, why don’t you say something now, because we know you’re hiding a huge secret?” Andy said.
In math that afternoon, Zoe was working on a problem when a note slipped under her hand. It read:

Hey,
Want to take a walk with me after school?
Chase
Making sure her teacher wasn’t looking, she quickly wrote back:
Hey yourself,
Of course I’d like to go with you. Where should we go?
Zoe
Chase read the note she returned and quickly scribbled back.
When Zoe got the note, it read:
Zoë,
How about a walk along the beach? It’s the most romantic walk at sunset.
Chase
Acting like she was still working, Zoe replied to the note.
When she got up to pretend she was sharpening her pencil, she slipped her reply under his math book.
When Chase got the note, he smiled.
Dear Chase,
That sounds romantic. Meet me at my locker after school.
Zoe
The last bell went…Ring!
Chase snuck up behind Zoe and slipped his arms around her.
“Ready to go?” he asked.
“Yeah,” Zoe asked. “Though I feel really bad that I’ve been lying to my girlfriends that we’re just friends. When will we tell them?”
“When the time is right,” Chase said. “I don’t like hiding what we have from my guys either, but they are killing me over this!”
“That’s why we need to tell them,” Zoe said. “Don’t you think they’ll find out eventually?”
They headed down to the beach and began a relaxing late afternoon stroll together.
But at that moment, their friends saw them and began to wonder.
“Is that Zoe and Chase?” Andy asked.
“I don’t know. Chase acted pretty casual this morning,” Matt recalled. “Do you seriously think he’d do things like this behind our back?”
“Well, Zoe acted the same way, and for her to keep a secret from us, well that would just be a part of her I don’t know,” Veronica said.
They continued to watch them and when the boy moved closer to the girl and took her hand, they gasped.
“Oh, this is too much for me. I have to go,” Veronica said.
“Oh, let me escort you home,” Andy offered.
Zoe and Chase kept strolling until Chase found the spot.
“This is my favorite place to watch the sunset,” Chase said.
“It’s very pretty with the waves and the soft sounds,” Zoe observed. “Wow. Do you come down here often?”
“Every afternoon actually,” Chase admitted. “The beach at sunset is very calm, so I think a lot when I’m down here.”
At that moment, Chase was thinking about something serious. As he was sitting with Zoe, her hand in his, he began to realize his feelings for her were changing.
He no longer wanted Zoe to be the girl he has a crush on. He wanted more than that. He wanted to take the next step and take Zoe with him. And the only way he could do that was take some steps. He was in love. And Zoe and Chase’s friends were left wondering what had happened that night.

booklover1212 said...
Feb. 18 at 2:53 pm:
are the names based on that show zoey 101?  

ZackTheAlligator said...
May 8, 2013 at 7:57 am:
I like it so far--one suggestion would be that in the beginning, too many of the names ended with "son". It just seemed a bit distracting to me and pulled me out of the story. Keep up the good work!

nemish23 said...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:56 am:

it's perhaps a little too romantic for me, but i'm not a totally romantic type so don't trust me on that.

but i love how it's a little fairytale mixed in the modern day world and you have great potential!

i'd love to read some of your other works!

arichman40 replied...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm :
Thank you. I know it gets a little sappy romantic, but when I write, that's how I am. Glad you enjoyed the book.