Winter Solstice | Teen Ink

Winter Solstice

February 23, 2012
By StephanieMorrissa SILVER, Anderson, South Carolina
More by this author
StephanieMorrissa SILVER, Anderson, South Carolina
9 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not what people call you, it's what you answer to."
-Tyler Perry(Madea)


Author's note: I wanted to right a romance novel with a character based on myself. Some characters in this story are also based on people I knew at the time. I love the story of Romeo & Juliet and I love vampire and werewolf stories so I merged the two to make Winter Solstice.

The author's comments:
This is the introduction chapter, introducing the main character and her "family".

Deep in the dark woods of Northern Alaska, hidden behind the huge sycamores is where our house stands. Selene Shakespeare was a young vampire. She was a small girl with long brown hair and shimmering brown eyes. Sometimes looking at her reflection made her cry because she look painfully like her mother, Clarissa Shakespeare, who is one of the most beautiful women she’d ever known, including vampire women. She had a special power. She had the power of the siren. Her incredible beauty and her singing could hypnotize just about anyone. She had also been gifted with an amazing writing ability and could write stories on any subject. At the tender age of eighteen she was the youngest member of the clan. She and her older brother, Jett, were changed around the same time and had only been a part of the family for three years.

Jett Shakespeare is her big brother. He is two years older than her in human life but in vampire life she is just a few days older than him. He is a smart, sweet, caring young man who loves her more than anything else. He’s slightly taller than her with the same dark hair and cool brown eyes as their father, James Shakespeare. Jett has the power of amazing speed and strength. He is the strongest and the fastest of us all and he uses his powers to protect Selene at all costs. Because of what happened to them in their human life he is extremely protective of her and does everything in his power to keep her safe. He is truly amazing and she loves him with all her heart.

Kamalia and Pandora Everdeen are twin sisters. They have the power to read minds and communicate with each other telepathically. But their telepathy is limited. They can only speak to each other, no one else. They are the same height and have the same build and look mostly alike in the face but they are totally different. Kamalia has red hair and brown eyes and is kind of crazy and wild and loves to have a good time. She is always laughing and joking around. Pandora has brown hair and brown eyes and is mostly the quiet sister. She likes to have fun too but is calmer than her sister. They were Selene’s best friends, besides Jett, and the ones she told all her secrets to. I know what you’re thinking. Why would she have to tell them her secrets when they can just read her mind? Well, she also had the power to make herself immune to their power. She could control it though. If she didn’t want them to know something she would just shield herself from their power.

Ember and Drake Cromwell are the smart ones. Their knowledge is astounding. It amazes Selene how much they know. Ember is a beautiful girl with red, curly hair and ember eyes. She’s a dreamer and loves to tell stories of the adventures of her human life. Drake on the other hand prefers to keep his life before his Change a secret. He is a tall young man with brown hair and brown eyes. He’s sweet and charming but sometimes he can be withholding. Selene used to have a thing for him but it was just an infatuation and didn’t last very long. They are very sweet people and love to teach the others everything they never got to learn as humans as well as vampire secrets.

Salem and Milena Hawthorne were the first ones to join the clan. They are superior over the others and they let it get to their heads which really annoys the rest of everyone, especially Selene. Salem is average height and has a very nice build. He has black hair and dark brown eyes and surprisingly tan skin. Vampires are normally ivory-skinned but not Salem. He was blessed with a beautiful skin tone and that kind of adds to his attitude. He has the power to control the earth. Milena is rather short with black hair and brown eyes. She has the power to create storms but rarely uses her power which Selene is grateful for. They are always together and hardly ever talk to the rest unless it’s to give an order. That really makes Selene mad, but she tries to keep her anger in check. They also piss her off because they say her power isn’t really a power. To them a power is being able to control things or do things like they can do. But everyone else always reassures her that her powers are special. Kamalia and Pandora say they’re just jealous but she doesn’t really know how true that is.

Last but not least is the leader of the clan, their “father”, Mica Rakove. He is a very powerful being and in Selene and the twins opinion, very good looking for his age. He is tall with luminous skin and brown hair and brown eyes. He also has a goatee which they like a lot. He is trying to teach everyone to be powerful like him. He says Selene is a quick learner and they get along very well. Selene is very close with him and enjoys listening to the stories of his adventures. He has done so much in his life as a vampire. He has a very cool power, even though his is limited as well. He can speak to any of his children whenever he wants. He can’t hear their thoughts or pinpoint their exact location but he can telepathically call out to them and speak to them where ever in the world they are. So no matter where they are he’s always with them and that always comforts Selene when she’s out alone.

Sometimes she thinks about her life before the Change but she tries to keep it out of mind. Jett says it’s not good to dwell on the past and that they have such a wonderful life with the others that they should just forget all the painful things that happened to them in their previous life. But it’s hard for her to forget her mother and father, no matter how bad they were and no matter what mistakes they made because they were her parents. And even though sometimes she misses her life as a human she looks at what she has here and she knows that it is so much better than the way she used to live and is so thankful to be what she is right now.

Now you probably already know about the raging, century-long war between vampires and werewolves. Well Selene did not. She didn’t even know that werewolves even existed. But when she joined the clan she was warned by everyone not to fraternize or associate with werewolves in any way. And she didn’t…for a while.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where Selene and Liam first meet.

It was the first day of the Winter Solstice, the time of year when battles between vampires and werewolves break out the most because more hunting is done during this time. Selene was out hunting because Salem and Milena made such an argument with Mica about how she needed more practice.

“Mica, tell Selene she needs to put in more practice.” Salem said after Selene has said she was too busy to hunt right now.

“Yeah,” Milena interjected, “She’s been cooped up her room for weeks doing nothing!”

“Excuse me,” Selene responded furiously, “I have been working on a novel thank you very much!” She was standing right in front of her, both of their faces flushed with anger.

Mica stepped in between the two pushing them away from each other and said, “Girls, calm down. Milena, she’s right. She has been working, not just sitting around. And Selene you need to prioritize your time. You have to put in some time to hunt because your skills need to be sharp. I know you are picking it up quickly but you have to go out and hunt regularly or your abilities will fade. Now I think you should go on a quick hunt, okay? Be back in two hours.”

“Yes Father.” Selene replied and headed for the door as Milena sneered at me with satisfaction. She just ignored her and left.

So she was about to head home from her hunt when she heard a rustle of leaves about twenty feet away from where she stood. She could see the shape of a large, brown dog-like creature passing through the trees and she knew it was a werewolf. She squatted down slightly in attack position ready to fight when a dazzlingly beautiful young man walked towards her from behind the shadow of a tall tree. He was tall, about six foot, and he had dark brown hair and the most beautiful arctic blue eyes she had ever seen, and before she knew it she was lost in them.

“Hello,” He said to her, smiling the most dazzling smile. She smiled back. “cute fangs.”

“Thanks.” Selene replied shyly. She could tell by his odor that he was the werewolf she had just seen, but she didn’t care. It was love at first sight. It was obvious he felt it to because he had not attacked her. He just stood there looking at her mesmerized. She was trying to hypnotize him but her siren power didn’t seem to have an effect on him.

They walked towards each other until they were looking directly into each other’s eyes. He was quite taller than Selene so she had to look up to peer into his beautiful blue eyes. She finally snapped out of her gaze and asked him, “Why shouldn’t I kill you right now?” She didn’t know what would come of this but she wanted to see because it was so enticing.

“Well,” he thought for a moment, “you know? I can’t really answer that right now. Why don’t you meet me here at midnight and I can give you a real answer?” He smiled as he said this.

“I don’t know.” she said, all of a sudden feeling really unsure.

“Ah, come,” he replied with a sly look on his face, “live a little.” Selene looked back up at him and couldn’t help but smile.

“Okay,” she finally agreed, “here. Midnight.”

“Good.” He accepted, “See you then.” And then he was gone. His smell still lingered in the air. Selene smiled one more time and headed towards home. She didn’t really run. She wanted to savor the moment. She’d probably be late but she just didn’t seem to care.

When she finally arrived home Salem and Milena were sitting in the living room. They stood up and walked over to Selene as she was closing the door. “Where have you been?” Salem began as they headed towards her, “You were supposed to be done hunting half an hour ago.”

“I know,” she answered, “I just-“

“Why do you smell like that?” Milena interrupted, “Did you run into a werewolf?”

“Yes. I did.”

All of a sudden Kamalia was at her side in a gush of wind. “Oh, my gosh, what happened?” she asked in genuine worry.

“Nothing,” Selene replied, trying to calm her, “I was out hunting and I ran into a young werewolf. I prepared myself to fight but he ran off.”

“But you’re okay, right?” Pandora asked coming swiftly down the stairs towards them.

“She’s fine.” Milena said rolling her eyes in her usually snobby manner, “Come on Salem. We have to prepare for our hunt. Maybe we’ll see a werewolf too.”

“Yeah,” Salem agreed, “But we won’t let it get away like some weak links in the family.” The two of them eyed Selene disdainfully as he said this.

“You guys need to leave her alone.” Kamalia said to them, “She’s doing her best and she’s doing very well. Mica said so himself.”

“Whatever.” Milena scoffed, “I don’t have time for those beneath me to try and boss me around. Come Salem, we have to get ready.” And with that they blew away.

“Oh, I’d love to put that b**** in her place just once!” Pandora stated through gritted teeth.

“What about Salem?” Selene asked, “Don’t you want to put him in his place too?”

“Oh, you didn’t hear?” Kamalia asked, “Pandora has a thing for Salem!”

“What! Pandora, are you crazy?”

“He’s not so bad. Sure he’s a little smug and stuff but he’s really not as bad as his b**** of a sister. I think if she wasn’t around then maybe he wouldn’t be so rude.”

“Yeah, okay. If you say so.” Kamalia said, obviously as unconvinced as I was.

“I’m just glad they’re leaving soon for their hunt.” Selene said. Every year during the Winter Solstice Salem and Milena went high into the mountains to hunt. They usually stayed gone for about a month or two so that was everyone else’s favorite time of year.

The three of them stood there looking at each other, neither one wanting to speak. Finally, the silence was broken by the sound of a thud upstairs and they all knew it was Drake and Ember. They didn’t really like using the door because of their incredible climbing ability so they usually entered and exited through the big window upstairs.

“Oh my gosh!” Kamalia exclaimed, “Drake’s home!” She and Selene smiled brightly.

“Yeah, and I’m the silly one for having a thing for Salem.” Pandora alleged.

Kamalia turned to look at her sister and retorted, “Yeah, you are. Because Salem’s a jerk, Drake’s not.”

Drake came down the stairs and gave us all a hug. “Hey. Oh, my goodness, you would not believe this year’s festival. It was unbelievable.” He was so excited he was just pacing around and talking rather quickly. He and Ember had gone to Stratford-upon-Avon, England for their annual Shakespeare festival. They had asked Selene to go because Shakespeare is actually her ancestor but it was just too painful a memory for her so she declined. Kamalia couldn’t believe Selene would turn down the chance to spend a weekend with Drake and she had kicked herself the whole weekend. But now she was glad she didn’t go because if she had gone she never would have met that mysterious yet mesmerizing werewolf that kept running through her mind.

Well Drake finally calmed down and sat down on the couch. Kamalia sat down beside him and Selene took a seat on the other side. Pandora just sighed and rolled her eyes at the absurdity of their actions and took a seat right across from them.

Kamalia rubbed the back of Drake’s hand and said, “It sounds really great.” Then she looked around and continued, “Where’s Ember?”

“Oh, she met another vampire, a guy who had actually known Shakespeare. And since Ember’s an even bigger Shakespeare freak than I am she wanted to stay and hear everything. Plus, I think she kind of hit it off with the guy. He might come back with her. He was saying he’s always wanted to see America. It’s the only country he hasn’t traveled to in his 200 years.”

“200 years?” Selene asked in shock. Even though she knew vampires were immortal she still could not imagine someone living that long.

“Yes,” he said, “Anyway, how were you guys while I was away?”

“Oh, Selene ran into a werewolf today.” Kamalia blabbed. Selene gave her a look that said “Why on earth did you tell him that?” She just smiled at her and returned her gaze to Drake who hadn’t even noticed Selene’s worried facial expressions.

“Really? You ran into a wolf?” He asked turning towards me with concern, “Are you okay?” He took Selene’s hand and began to stroke it gently. The spark of his touch still hadn’t faded so she smiled to herself.

“Yes” She repeated for what felt like the thousandth time, “I was out hunting after Salem and Milena forced Mica to make me get some practice in because apparently I’m a lazy bum who sits around in my room doing nothing. But that’s beside the point. So I was coming home from my hunt and he ran into me and knocked me on my back. I got the wind knocked out of me but that was all. I felt the rage kick in real bad and I jumped up ready to take him out but he was already running off so I cooled down as much I could and just came back home.”

He still had a hold on her hand and he wouldn’t stop looking at her. She couldn’t even look up at him and when she finally did she could see the concern in his eyes. “I’m just glad you’re not hurt Sel. And that werewolf better be glad he was able to get away before you got your hands on him. When a vampire gets the rage nothing can stop them. And your rage seems to be much stronger than any of ours. Mica even said he never say a stronger rage in all his life.”

Let me explain to you about the rage. The rage is what vampires call that huge rush of anger and adrenaline you get. Only it’s much stronger for vampires. If something makes a vampire mad they go into a frenzy and will destroy anything and anyone that gets in its way.

“Yeah,” Selene said dismissively, “I’m sure he is.”

“Yeah,” Kamalia repeated with a smile and then stood up, “Well, Pandora and I have to go. Mica has something very important to discuss with us.”

“What do you think it is?”

“I don’t know. But with Mica, whoever knows?”

“Right. Well, see you later.”

“Bye.”

“Bye Pandora.”

“See you girl.”
And there she was all alone with Drake and as she looked at him and studied his silhouette she realized that his beauty just couldn’t compare to that of the beautiful werewolf she had encountered just moments ago. She had never met any man that was more alluring than the nameless magnificence that had just entered her life. She glanced down at my watch to see that it was only 9:45. She had quite some time to wait so she decided to make conversation with Drake.
“So… Um, there’s actually someone in the world that’s a bigger Shakespeare fan than Ember?”
“Yeah, I know. Can you believe it?”
“I really can’t. She has been talking of nothing but Shakespeare since I’ve been here.” Obviously, that was an exaggeration but William Shakespeare was always Ember’s main topic of discussion no matter what the occasion.
“Yeah,” Drake agreed with a smile, “She was so excited when she heard about you and Jett. She couldn’t believe that relatives of her idol were actually going to be living here with us.” He looked around the room, then leaned closer to Selene and whispered, “You know she actually had a thing for Jett?”
“Really?” She asked in shock, “Are you sure? Well, what about that guy from England?”
“Well, she thought she had a better chance of being with him than with Jett. Plus, they have so much in common she wanted to get to know him. And it gave her an excuse to stay in England longer. It killed her that we were going to have to leave.”
“Oh, okay.”
“Well, I got to go too. Jett wanted me to go on a little hunting trip with him a few miles south.”
“Okay,” Selene accepted and got up to hug him. He hugged her and went up the stairs. A few minutes later Jett came down the stairs followed by Drake.
“Hey,” She said with a big smile.
“Hey,” he returned and gave her one of his big Jett hugs. “Okay, Drake and I will be back sometime in the morning. Have Salem and Milena already left for the annual Winter Solstice hunt?”
“Yes,” she answered, “thankfully.”
“Now Selene, be nice. Kamalia and Pandora are with Mica and Ember’s in England so it’s just going to be you by yourself. Can you handle that?”
“Yes Jett. I’m not a baby.”
“I know, but you’ve never been by yourself before. And I worry.” He looked back at Drake who wasn’t even paying attention then leaned in and said quietly, “What if he comes back?”
“Jett, he’s not going to come back. Please. Stop worrying. Go. I’ll be fine. I promise.” She smiled to prove her point.
“Okay. I love you sissy. Bye.” He hugged her again and left.
“Bye Sel.” Drake said.
“Bye.” And they were gone.
She sat down on the couch and sighed. Her thoughts were completely consumed by the exhilaration of her meeting with that mysterious werewolf. She just couldn’t believe it had actually happened. She closed her eyes and smiled as an image of his beautiful face played in her head. His luscious voice rang through her mind like a thousand huge church bells. She just sat there thinking and dreaming about when she would see him again. It was all she could think about and she couldn’t stop smiling no matter how hard she tried. It was such a beautiful thought.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where Selene and Liam talk briefly about their human lives and how they became what they are today.

“Well hello my dear.” Selene heard his voice from behind an old oak and turned to see him. He was wearing a light blue button down shirt and dark jeans with dark black shoes. His hair was in an attractive mess on his head and his eyes shined like the deep waters of the ocean in the middle of the day when the sun is directly overhead shining down on it. She smiled at the sight of such a beautiful creature. He walked towards her and stroked her face, then gently pressed his lips to hers. Then, he pulled away and looked into her eyes and said, “It feels like ages since I saw you.”
“I know.” Selene agreed, “Like an eternity.” She smiled slightly as she looked into his eyes and it was as if they were frozen in time, neither of them able to move or speak. All they could do was stand there and look into each other’s eyes and smile like bashful fools.
“Well?” he inquired, “Shall we?” he motioned towards a huge tree with a nice, strong root sticking up that was just big enough for the two of them to sit down on.
Selene smiled and replied, “We shall.” and he gently pulled her over to the tree. They sat down and Selene asked, “So I want to know about you? You’re this mystery that I just can’t seem to figure out. I need to know you.”
He smiled and responded, “You will know everything my dear if, in turn, I get to know the same about you.”
“Of course. What do you want to know?”
“Where did you come from?” he asked, “I know that sounds like a silly question but you just seem too beautiful and out of this world to be from here.”
“I am originally from London, even though only my father is English. I unfortunately never picked up the accent because when I was five my father moved us all to America. We’ve lived all over the place from California to New York. We finally moved to Alaska and stayed when I was thirteen.”
“How did you become a vampire?” he questioned, “Are your parents vampires too?”
“No,” Selene said sadly, “but my older brother is.”
“Well if you and your brother are vampires but you’re parents aren’t then how did you become one?” he asked, obviously very intrigued even though Selene had no idea why.
“It’s a long story,” she said, hoping she wouldn’t have to tell him about the man who made her what she was today.
“Well, we have time.” He said smiling that dashing smile at her, “Please? I want to know.”
She took a deep breath and said, “Okay. Well, we moved to Alaska when I was thirteen and my parents were struggling with things they wouldn’t tell us about because according to them we wouldn’t understand. So they started doing drugs and drinking some. They just became real lazy and all they wanted to do was smoke or shoot up. But they never hit us. They weren’t mean or abusive. They loved us, or so I thought.”
“What do you mean ‘so you thought’?” he asked, really listening to what she was saying.
“Well one night I was in bed trying to sleep when I heard my parents arguing about they were running out of drugs and they didn’t have the money to buy more and how they were going to get their next fix. My father said something that I couldn’t make out and my mother shot back ‘James, no, we can’t do that. What are you, crazy?’ ‘Well what else do you suggest?’ he asked her, ‘I know someone who will pay a lot for them and will be good to them. Don’t worry Clarissa. They’ll be better off there than here with us.’ ‘But James, they’re our children!’ she kept arguing with him and he kept saying stuff like ‘Think about them Clarissa. Do you want them to live this way forever?’ ‘Well no.’ she said. ‘Then we have to let them go.’ He told her and she agreed. ‘Okay,’ she said, ‘we’ll take them up to the cabin tomorrow.’ I still didn’t really know what they were talking about but I found out the next day. I woke up and mine and Jett’s things were all packed up and sitting by the door. We all got in the car and drove half an hour up the mountain to a big cabin. When we got there a gorgeous young man with ivory skin and dark brown hair and sparkling brown eyes came out to meet us. We stepped out and walked towards him. ‘Hello James.’ He said, ‘Are these them?’ ‘Yes.’ My father answered, ‘This is my son Jett and my daughter Selene.’ The man eyed me weirdly like he was attracted to me or something. It freaked me out. I turned around and asked my mom ‘What are we doing here? Who is this man?’ My mom bent down and put her hands on my shoulders and said, ‘Selene, this is Malachi Levesque. You and Jett are going to live here with him.’ ‘No!’ I exclaimed, ‘No, I don’t think so!’ ‘Selene!’ my father shouted at me, ‘Stop being difficult. You are going to stay here and that’s final.’ ‘Here you go sir.’ Malachi said and handing my father a large wad of bills. Then I realized what was going on but before I could protest my mother said, ‘I’m sorry baby.’ Then kissed us both and left. ‘You take care of your sister Jett.’ My father instructed, ‘I’m counting on you.’ ‘Yes sir.’ He accepted pretending not to care that our parents were leaving us with a complete stranger. And then they were gone. ‘Well let’s go inside.’ Malachi said and we all went inside the cabin.”
Selene had begun to tear up so Liam pulled her into his arms and said, “It’s okay. You don’t have to tell me everything today. We can talk about it some other time.”
“Okay,” she said, smiling through the tears, “Thanks.” He pulled her closer and she began to feel better. She looked up at him. “What about you?” she asked.
“Huh?” he returned, looking down into my eyes.
“What about you?” she repeated, “How did you become what you are?”
“Oh.” He fidgeted around like he was trying to avoid the question. “I was a lab rat.” He finally said.
“What do you mean?” she asked, turning around to face him and snuggling up closer to him.
He seemed rather uncomfortable answering the question but he explained quite vividly. “The leader of our coven, our so called “father”, Leonardo Rivera, was a brilliant scientist who was obsessed with wolves. He and his partner Oliver Shultz wanted to create a serum that would turn man in to wolf. And he did. He conducted experiments on hundreds of people. Many of them died but there were a select few that the serum actually worked on. That’s how our clan was formed.” Selene’s eyes widened at the story. She just couldn’t believe it. “But anyway,” he continued, “why don’t we get off this grim topic?”
“Okay.” she agreed with a smile, not wanting to show just how glad she was that we were no longer talking about their pasts. She just couldn’t bring herself to tell him what had actually happened when she and Jett had been with Malachi. It was such a painful part that she tried to keep it buried so deep within her. No one had ever been able to dig it up, until he came along. She felt so comfortable around him, so at home in his arms. She didn’t even mind the musty dog smell that wafted through the air like smoke around a big campfire. She had even grown used to it and possibly even in love with it, for it was the scent of her true love and it comforted her.
After a few moments of silence, he spoke her very thoughts. “I feel so at peace here with you my dear.” She looked up at him and smiled once more. It had to have been about the millionth time she had smiled because of him. That’s what she believed her perfect life would be; her true love and an eternal smile.
“So do I. I’ve never felt so close to someone else before. I’ve actually never been in love before. You’re actually the first guy I’ve ever been with?”
He looked at her, obviously shocked. “Really?” he asked, “There’s never been anyone?”

“No” she said, “I was with Malachi from the time I was fourteen until about a year after my eighteenth birthday which is when he changed me. I’ve been with my family for about three years training and learning how to be what I was; the right way. So I never had the chance to fall in love, even though I had developed a small crush for one of the guys at my house.”
“Oh yeah?” Liam asked, slightly disappointed, “You like this guy?”

“It’s nothing.” Selene assured him, “He’s like my brother. Plus, Kamalia is more in love with him than I ever was so it really doesn’t matter anyway. Besides,” she added with a smile, “now I have you.”
He returned her smile. “Yes,” he agreed, “and I have you.” She smiled back and settled into his arms. They sat in silence for a while and she felt so peaceful there with him. She couldn’t think of anything better than this. All o f a sudden, he broke the silence by saying, “Selene?” She looked up at him and he continued, “Dance with me?”
“But there’s no music playing.” She replied.
“Who says you need music to dance?” Selene smiled and he pulled her up onto her feet. He pulled her close as they began to dance. It was the sweetest, most romantic moment she had ever experienced. She had never been this close to anyone before and it seemed almost surreal to her. She didn’t know what to think or what to expect. She didn’t know what would happen next but in a way that kind of excited her. She enjoyed not knowing and having to guess and wonder. It was exciting and exhilarating. Her thoughts went blank as he took her face gently in his hand and kissed her.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where Liam's sister, Amaris, and Selene's "sisters", Kamalia & Pandora, find out about their relationship.

Not two seconds after their lips met Selene was knocked to the ground by something she couldn’t see. She looked up from the ground to see Liam standing there with a shocked look on his face. Then she saw a dark black wolf standing before them, huffing and puffing and looking at them with an enraged look. Its emerald green eyes were blazing.
Selene stood up and shook herself off and the moment she did the wolf charged at her again. Liam snapped out of his shock and caught the wolf in midair. He threw it back up into the air and before it landed on the soft, mossy ground it turned into a young woman. She was the most beautiful young woman Selene had ever saw with her long, wavy, dark black hair that matched Liam’s and her gorgeous emerald green eyes that still blazed with anger. She turned and sprinted towards Selene but Liam stood in between them and she stopped right in front of him
“Liam! What are you doing?” the girl asked shocked.
“Amaris stop!” he said, “Leave her alone!”
“What is going on here Liam? Why are you protecting that vampire?”
“Because.” He said tentatively, “She’s my, um… She’s my girlfriend.” Both girls’ eyes widened in surprise. Selene couldn’t believe he had just called her his girlfriend. She was so happy but she could tell this Amaris girl was not.
“Liam, what are you talking about? This is crazy! She probably has you under her control. Let me destroy her and you will be free.” With that she stepped towards Selene but Liam just took a step forward and crossed his arms. “Move Liam!”
“No Amaris. You are not killing her.”
“Why not?”
“Because I love her!” Their eyes widened again and Selene could see the girl getting madder and madder. Liam stepped closer to her and said softly, “Please Amaris. You know better than anyone all the crap I’ve been through. Please don’t take her away from me.”
She huffed and said, “Fine!”
He turned to Selene and said, “Selene. Come here.” She walked towards him reluctantly and took his hand.
“Amaris, this is Selene. Selene, this is my sister, Amaris Channing.” For the millionth time today her eyes widened in shock. Liam had mentioned his sister briefly but she had no idea she was a wolf, same as him. It made her wonder what other things I didn’t know about him.
“Hi.” Selene said kindly, offering her hand to Amaris. She looked at it with a sneer then took it half-heartedly. “I know we’re enemies and we’re supposed to hate each other and hunt each other but I was hoping that wouldn’t be the case here.”
“And why is that?” she asked, holding the same obnoxious tone.
“Because I love your brother!” Selene defended, “That’s why!”
She sighed and answered, “Fine. But this doesn’t mean I like you.” She turned to Liam and said, “You better be home in an hour. Better make it two so you can get that nasty bloodsucker smell off you.” That burned Selene up. She had never commented about her God awful wet dog smell.
“Fine Amaris.” He agreed, “Just go home. We’ll talk later.” And with an anger rush of wind, she was gone. Thankfully.
“I am so sorry for that.” Liam apologized.
“It’s alright.” Selene accepted. Then, she smiled and said, “So where were we?”
“Right about here.” He answered and kissed her with a smile. “Why don’t we sit back down and talk some more?”
“Okay.” She agreed and followed him back to the big tree root. The tree opened up in the middle to form a kind of hammock that was surprisingly comfortable. They lay back and she rested her head on his chest.
“So tell me about your family.” Selene started.
“On second thought, let’s dance some more.” He said, trying to get up.
“No way,” She said, pushing him back down, “Come on. Tell me. I want to know.”
He sighed and lay back down. “Fine,” he said as Selene returned to her comfortable position, “Well Leonardo is a very respectable man in the science world. Or at least he was until this whole wolf man thing made him a laughingstock back home. Everyone thought he was crazy for thinking you could turn man into an animal. So he came to America and that’s how he met Doctor Shultz, another wolf fanatic who thought the same way. They began working together and that’s how my family and I came to be. We all have these special gifts. It’s different with everyone. He has the ability to read minds whereas I have the ability to sense people’s energies and auras, which he claims is not really a power but I don’t care.
Amaris is quite a wonderful werewolf. She is so powerful and strong and very smart with her abilities. She’s scared though. I don’t think she’ll ever truly get used to this life. No matter how strong she tries to act I know she’s scared and wishes she could go back. She has visions and reads the future and it surprises me that she didn’t see you coming. She sees everything.
Adolph and Omar Lowell are quite annoying at times. They are pyros and can create fires. They are so stubborn and don’t really listen to anyone. They pretty much hang with each other and stay away from the rest of us. It’s really weird and annoying but they leave me alone so I don’t complain.
Raul and Ion Finelli are my best friends, other than Amaris. They are very sensitive and passionate about things, especially music and the arts. They look at things differently than most of us and are always hurt by Leonardo’s crude remarks. But they are very strong, tough young men who won’t take crap from anyone. They have an amazing music playing ability as well as the ability to write stupendous songs and poems. They truly impress me.
Varali and Adonis Mingan were the first two to join the clan and have pretty much gotten used to Leonardo’s ways. They have the power of extreme knowledge and wisdom and are the best teachers I’ve ever had. I love learning from them and I’m glad they know all this stuff. Leonardo likes to go up into the mountains for months at a time and leave us to fend for ourselves so Varali and Adonis make up for it and teach us everything we need to know. Without them we would definitely perish.”
Listening to Liam talk about his family made Selene think of her own family. She was amazed at how similar their families were yet how different. They both had brothers and sisters who weren’t really related to them but loved them just the same. They both had a “father” but his treated them like dirt when hers loved her like his own. But he didn’t have a snobby brother and sister who acted all high and mighty all the time. He too cared for his baby sister the way Jett cared for her. Then, she thought of Jett. What would he say about this? She kicked the thought out of her mind before the worry consumed her.
“So tell me more about your family.” He insisted, breaking me out of my thoughts.
“Well, my “father” Mica Rakove is probably the most wonderful person I know. He teaches me things that I never thought I could learn and I seem to pick it up rather quickly. We have powers of our own and people tell me my power is insignificant as well. I have the power of the siren, the ability to lure men in and control them. But I rarely ever use it. I also have an amazing story writing ability and a strange ability to mask others powers, which is probably why you’re sisters vision were blind to me.” Selene continued telling him about her family, about Salem and Milena’s obnoxious ways and her close friendship with Jett and the twins, but she didn’t tell him about how she and Jett really became what they were and their life before the change. Liam watched her intently as she talked and she knew he was really listening and understanding her. When she finished he kissed her. She smiled and asked, “What was that for?”
“You’re more perfect than I imagined.”
She smiled and replied, “Hey, my family’s away right now. I have the house to myself. You want to come over and have a little fun?” She gave him a sly look that said “If you know what I mean.”
“Absolutely,” he agreed and they headed towards her house.
They walked through the front door and ran up the stairs to Selene’s room. When they walked inside he looked around. “Nice place.” He said, taking in the stereo with the library of CDs and the sofa and other things sitting around the room.
“Thanks.” She returned, “I spend most of my time here so I had to make it bearable.”
He walked towards her and began kissing her. They lay down on the couch and continued kissing. She wasn’t sure what was going to happen and she figured whatever was going to happen was going to be great. Everything was going great until Kamalia and Pandora knocked on the door and walked into the room.
“Selene, is everything okay? We thought we smelled a—” They stopped when they saw Selene and Liam wrapped up on the sofa.
“Selene, what the hell is going on?” Kamalia exclaimed.
“Yeah,” Pandora agreed, “who is this? And why does he smell so bad?” Her eyes widened and she declared, “Oh my god! He’s a wolf! What the hell Selene?”
They were both looking at her with stern, disapproving faces. Selene stood up and said, “Kamalia, Pandora this is Liam Channing.”
“Pleasure to meet you.” Liam said, offering his hand with a smile.
“Mhm,” Pandora returned rudely, “I’m sure it is.”
“Pandora!” Selene exclaimed, “I’m sorry Liam. You’d better go.”
“Okay baby. I’ll see you later.”
“Okay.” Selene agreed. Then he kissed her and climbed out the window.
“Selene!” Kamalia cried, “What the hell is going on here? Why were you making out with a werewolf?”

“Because I’m in love with him!” Selene cried back. Their eyes widened in utter shock and they were stunned silent. “Please.” She begged, “I know it’s not right and it’s breaking the natural order and blah, blah, blah. I know it’s impossible and I know how bad it looks but I love him you guys. I love him.” A tear slid down her face and she sank down onto the sofa. She looked up and them and softly pleaded, “Don’t take him from me.”
Pandora walked over to her and sat down beside her. She placed her hand on hers and Selene looked up at her. “You really love this guy?”
“With all my heart.”
“Then your secret is safe with us. Right Kamalia.”
Kamalia sighed and finally agreed. “Yes. We won’t tell anyone.” She came and sat on the other side of Selene. She hugged her and said, “I hope you know what you’re doing.”
“I do.” Selene answered, “Thank you.”

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where the rest of Selene's "family" finds out about her and Liam and where Selene's "father", Mica, reveals that he had once been in love with a werewolf.

“So they’re not going to tell anyone?” Liam asked.
“No.” Selene answered, “They promised to keep it a secret and I know they will. They always keep their promises.”
“Okay.” He accepted with a smile, “I believe you.”
They lay in our usual spot just talking about random things. Mostly they talked about their dreams and what they thought their lives would be like if they hadn’t been changed at all.
“I think I’d be living somewhere in the countryside with a handsome husband and a beautiful baby. Now I’ll never have a baby.” Selene said sullenly, “Did you ever want kids?”
He looked away and replied reluctantly, “I kind of already have one.”
“What?” she exclaimed, sitting up and looking at him.
“It was about a year before I was changed. I was engaged to this girl and we had a daughter. Money was getting tight and so I agreed to do this study that was paying people to participate. It was the experiment that turned me into a werewolf. I was now immortal and they were not. I begged her to let them change them too so we could be together but she became scared of me and left, taking the child with her. My daughter is grown up, my age by now, and I will never see her again.” A silent tear streaked his cheek and Selene wiped it away and took his face in her hand.
“I’m so sorry Liam.” She offered, knowing it wouldn’t change anything.
“It’s okay. I just wonder sometimes what happened to her and if her mother ever remarried and found her a new father.” Selene was silent then as he looked off into the distance with a pained look in his eyes. She had never seen anyone that hurt before.
She gently caressed his cheek and said, “I’m so sorry.”
He looked at her and smiled. “Don’t be sorry my dear.” He said, “It was what was meant to happen. It was written in the stars. Fate and destiny has shifted our lives and made us what we are so that we could find each other and I don’t regret becoming this because it’s what led me to you.” Selene smiled shyly and he kissed her gently.

She was feeling pretty good when she walked up the steps to the house. She had just had the best time with Liam so she was quite happy. She didn’t notice everyone congregated in the living room until she walked through the front door and was bombarded by them. “What’s going on?” Selene asked.
“Why don’t you tell us, traitor!” Milena sneered.
Selene looked at her, perplexed. “What are you talking about?” she asked.
“I’m talking about the wolf Selene!” she yelled and Salem placed his hand on her shoulder to calm her.
“Wolf?” Selene asked, trying to seem oblivious, “What wolf?”
“Oh drop the act Selene.” Salem said, stepping up next to his sister, “We already know about your little tryst with the dog. Kamalia and Pandora told us.”
Selene looked at them mystified. “What?” I asked furiously.
“Selene,” Kamalia pleaded, standing to her feet and coming towards me, “it was an accident. Honest.”
“Yeah,” Pandora confirmed, “We didn’t mean to tell. They overheard us talking and got it out of us.”
“We tried to keep it in but we just couldn’t. We’re so sorry.” Kamalia’s head dropped in sorrow.
“Oh, enough.” Milena scoffed and turned to Mica, “Mica, aren’t you going to do something about this?”
Mica, who was sitting on the couch with his arms on his knees and his head hanging, sighed and looked up at us. “Actually,” he said, standing to his feet, “Selene, I need to speak with you in my study.” Then, he turned and headed up the stairs to his room which the others referred to as his study since it was more like a library and an office than a bedroom.
“Yes father.” Selene agreed and followed him as she felt everyone’s eyes on her. Oh, if looks could kill. Well, if that were the case, Salem and Milena would have killed them all years ago.
She entered the room and Mica was sitting behind his desk absent-mindedly playing with the metallic pendulum sitting in front of him. She sat down and said, “Father, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what to say or do. Please don’t send me away. I want to stay here. Please!” She begged, “Please! You can’t send me away. You can’t. Please!”
Mica lifted his hand to stop her. “Selene, calm down.” He replied, softly, “I’m not sending you away.”
“You’re not?” She asked, puzzled, “But what about the wolf?”
“You really love this man, don’t you?”
She looked down and fiddled my fingers. “Yes father.” She hated having to admit it to Mica, but the fact that she could actually tell him that she loved Liam just proved even more to her how much she actually did love him. She knew it right then that it was true and that she wasn’t going to let anything take it away from me. “Yes Mica, I do.” She repeated, this time a little stronger.
Mica sighed and looked off into the distance as if thinking of something, possibly a memory. “I know how you feel.”
“You do?” She asked, “How?”
“I, too, fell in love with a wolf.” He told her, still avoiding her gaze. When he said this, her eyes widened and her mouth dropped.
“What?”
“It was about a hundred years ago.” He began, “I met a young girl and fell deeply in love with her. Come to find out she was a werewolf. We decided that we could still love each other even with our differences.” He paused, “The others didn’t see it that way. They hunted us down. They killed her.”
Selene’s eyes widened. “Oh, Mica, I'm so sorry.” she replied sullenly.
He forced a smile and shrugged. “I guess it wasn't meant to be.” He said simply. He looked at her and said, “I just hope you know what you're doing.”
She nodded, “Yes father. I do.”
He sighed, “Okay. Then, you have my blessing. Just be careful.”
She smiled and stood as he stood as well. “Thank you father.” She hugged him. “I love you.”
“I love you too.” He smiled and she left the room.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where Selene's creator, Malachi, comes to get Selene and Liam and take them to the Elders, the first vampires ever.

Selene stayed in her room the rest of the night and the next day she met Liam again in the same spot.
“Wow,” Liam said, “he actually said it was okay for us to be together?”
“Yeah,” she said happily and nuzzled his neck, “I know. Can you believe it?” She smiled at him and laid her head on his shoulder. They had found a clearing in the middle of the woods and were laying together intertwined on a blanket on the ground.
He sighed. “I've just never seen a vamp be that understanding towards my kind before.” He told her, like he was still unsure of the whole thing.
She tilted her head to look directly into his eyes. “Liam, are you okay? You seem kind of hesitant,” she told him, “almost like you don't believe it.”
“Of course I believe you,” he answered softly as he smiled and caressed her face, “it's just hard to register that he would actually do something like that for a dirty dog like me.”
Selene placed a hand on his cheek and said, “Hey! You're not a dog and you are the farthest thing from dirty. I don't ever want to hear you talking about yourself like that again. You hear me?” She looked into his eyes with a serious, desperate look in her eyes.
“Yes, my dear.” He said smiling which made her smile back and then he kissed her. At that moment everything was perfect. Nothing could mess this up. Or at least that's what she thought.

“Well, well, well,” the deep familiar voice made me jump, “what have we here?” Selene sat up straight and her eyes widened as she saw Malachi standing before her. Liam sat up next to her and looked up at Malachi. “Hello Selene.” He said to her in a kind of disturbing tone of voice.
“Selene, who is he?” Liam asked without turning to look at her. He kept his gaze on Malachi.
“He's-” Selene started to say but was cut off by Malachi.
“The name's Malachi Levesque,” he answered, “I'm your little baby's creator.” He smiled and laughed smugly like he was proud to have made her what she was.
“So you're the one that changed her?” he asked.
“Oh, I did a lot more than that.” Malachi replied proudly bragging about things Selene never wanted to remember. She could see the look of confusion on Liam's face out of the corner of her eye and neither of them spoke. She sat there rigid, frozen stiff from fear and shock. Malachi looked at her with a surprised look on his face and laughed. “Oh,” he said, “you didn't tell him, did you?”
“Tell me what?” Liam asked.
“About all the fun we had.” Malachi bragged.
“I wouldn't exactly call it fun.” Selene said, finally regaining enough strength to stand.
Liam stood up and put his hands protectively on her shoulders. “What happened Selene?” He asked me.
She looked down at the ground and Malachi started to talk but she put her hand up to stop. “I think I'll tell him thank you!” She sighed and looked at him. “I didn't tell you about everything that happened before I was changed.” It was hard for her to get the words out because it was so painful. “You see, once mom and dad left we went inside and Malachi told us that we now belong to him, that we were his to do with as he pleased. So he decided to use my brother as his personal worker and I would be the outlet for his sexual frustrations.” When Selene said this Liam's head shot up and his eyes widened in shock and anger. She used my siren/mind power ability to keep him from killing Malachi on the spot. When he had calmed down she continued her story, “So every night like clockwork he would take me back to his room and he would have sex with me while feeding from me. He would never feed to the point of death. But one night, he lost control. He drained me too much and decided to change me rather than letting me die. Jett came home later that night and saw me and what I had become. He didn't know what to do. We were both so scared that we drugged Malachi and ran. Two days later we found Mica and he took us in and we've been with them ever since.” Selene turned to Malachi and asked, “What are you doing here? How did you find me?”
“I was told where you'd be.” He said, still smiling smugly.
“By who?” She asked perplexed.
“The Elders told me.” Selene’s eyes widened and her mouth hung wide open in udder shock.
Liam looked at her with a concerned look and asked, “Um, who are The Elders?”
“They’re like vampire royalty.” she told him. “They were the first vampires that ever existed. They’re there to make sure we don’t do something to endanger all vampires.” She turned to Malachi, “Why would they tell you where I am?” She just couldn’t understand why they would actually tell him how to find her. “Don’t they know what you did to me?”
“I work for them now.” Malachi said in his deep, archaic voice, “You know nothing slips past The Elders. They heard about your little doggy friend almost as soon as it happened. I overheard them talking about handling it and so I just jumped at the chance to come get you myself. Of course they know and I’ve been working for them to make up for it. They were a little reluctant to let me come get you but I guess they figured since we have such an interesting past it would only see fit for me to be the one to retrieve you.” He flashed his disgusting smile at Selene again and it made her cringe.
“Come get me?” Selene asked, “Malachi, what are you talking about?”
He sighed and shook his head like she had just asked him a stupid question, “I am to bring you and your mutt to the chamber of The Elders.”
“Listen here,” she said, getting enraged, “what happened was a long time ago! You do not own me anymore! You shut the hell up about him, you hear me?”
Malachi smiled and raised a brow like he was intrigued. “Ah,” he said, “I see you’re still as feisty as you always were.” He laughed his dangerous laugh and started to walk towards her. Liam swept his arm around her and pushed her behind him, standing in front of her to protect her. Malachi laughed again and shook his head. He looked Liam directly in the eye and said, “I will have her.”
“Over my dead body,” Liam said forcefully as he held Malachi’s gaze unyieldingly.
Malachi raised an eyebrow, smiled devilishly and said, “That can be arranged.”
“What’s going on here?” Selene was so thankful to hear Pandora’s voice. They all turned to look at her. Kamalia was with her and they were standing with their feet spread and their hands closed in tight fists. Their jaws were tightly clenched. Selene figured they would be listening so she had sent out “thoughts” of what was going on and luckily they responded. “Who the hell are you?” Pandora continued as they walked up to us defensively.
Their appearance did not phase Malachi in the least. He still stood tall and strong and spoke in his controlling voice. “I am here to take Selene and the… wolf with me.”
Kamalia laughed. “Yeah, I don’t think so.”
Malachi turned his gaze on her. “Sorry sweetie, there’s nothing you can do about it. She’s been summoned by The Elders.”
Kamalia and Pandora gasped in unison and their eyes widened as they covered their open mouths with their hand. Pandora sighed and said, “Then there’s nothing we can do. She has to go.”
“That’s right.” Malachi said, sounding very proud of himself.
“We’re coming too.” Kamalia said strongly.
“No, you’re not!” he roared at her.
Kamalia’s jaw clenched again and she edged forward and looked into his eyes with a fiery gaze. “We are coming too.” She told him, matching his booming tone.
He must have realized that they’d never give up because he sighed and said, “Fine! But you better stay back and keep your mouths shut like good little girls. Understand?”
Pandora stepped up beside Kamalia and with a blazing gaze that matched that of her sister’s she said, “You better watch yourself. One wrong move and we will end you. Understand?” She said the last part with a sarcastic tone.
Malachi shook his head and smiled slyly like he wasn’t afraid, which Selene knew he wasn’t. Malachi was the one thing she had been afraid of as a vampire. She never wanted to relive that time she spent with him. It was hard just to forget it even happened. Now he was here to get her and fear was all she could feel. She felt Liam’s strong hand on her arm as we began through the woods.
She took a deep breath and regained her strength and composure. She turned to Kamalia. “I’m so glad you were listening.”
“Anytime,” Kamalia joked uneasily.
“You didn’t bring Mica with you?” She asked.
“No.” Pandora answered grimly. She was still keeping an eye on Malachi. Pandora had always been the more dangerous of the two and once she meets someone that rubs her the wrong way she won’t forget about it. Selene was very happy to have her there as well as Kamalia’s comic relief to lighten the mood of this grim hour.
Malachi led them to a large car and they all climbed in. He drove to a dock in Northern Canada where they boarded a boat to Greece. Once they got to Greece, he found a smaller boat and they rode out to a dark, remote island on the edge of Greece. It was a small island that Selene didn’t recognize. She heard the twins gasp collectively and looked at them with a big question mark expression on her face.
Kamalia leaned over and whispered in her ear. “That’s Olympiana, the island of The Elders.” Selene’s eyes widened in shock that it actually existed. The head of The Elders, Aphrodite, had purchased the island for them to live. She wasn’t quite sure why they chose this island but that’s where they have lived for centuries.
Selene had learned about The Elders pretty early on in her vamp training. There were five elders, three women and two men. They all have the power to control one of the five elements: earth, fire, water, air, and spirit and they named themselves after the gods and goddesses. They were the first five vampires ever and so they named themselves the Elders and watch over all the other vamps of the world. They act as a sort of legal group to protect the human world from vampires and vice versa.
It took them a surprisingly short time to arrive at the island of the Elders and Selene’s heart began pounding as they emptied the boat and stepped foot onto the land. She looked up at the castle of the Elders and took a deep breath. The stories she had heard about them made her never want to see them firsthand. Liam must have felt her fear because he squeezed her hand and gave her a reassuring smile but it didn’t really help much to calm her fear.
“Come on,” Malachi urged, “we’re kind of on a schedule here.”
Selene rolled her eyes, sighed, and shook her head. How could this happen? Everything was going so great and now she was being thrust back into the life she had tried so hard to forget. How had Malachi Levesque found his way back into her life? Her head was spinning as she began to walk through the forest-like area that Malachi was leading them through.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where the visit the Elders and make it out alive.

They arrived at the large Renaissance-style castle in the middle of the island and she closed her eyes tightly. She could feel Liam’s strong hands hold on to her and gently pull her along through the large front doors. The halls were lit with great torches held by heavy metal rings. It was really cool and silent. There was no one around but them and the lack of people both frightened and calmed Selene.
Malachi led them up a long, dark staircase and to a pair of two large stone doors. Two fair skinned, muscular men opened the doors and they entered the room. Sitting in the far back of the room next to the wall were the Elders in their thrones carved with symbols representing their element. Selene looked at each of them and her eyes locked on Aphrodite, the breathtaking woman in the center. Her long flowing brown hair and her piercing brown eyes seemed to hypnotize her. Her beauty made her freeze and stare like a fool.
Liam leaned over and whispered in her ear, “So what’s the deal with these people again?”
She looked at him wide-eyed and said, “They’re the first vampires that ever lived. They each have the power to harness a different element.” She pointed to the fair blond on the far left, “That is Iris. She can harness the element air so she named herself after the rainbow goddess and next to her is her lover Hephaestus, the vampire god of fire.” She pointed towards the beautiful redhead on the other end, “That one is Gaea. She can control and become one with the earth and next to her is her lover, Poseidon, obviously named after the god of water.” She looked straight ahead at the woman in the middle, “And that is Aphrodite, named after the goddess of love and the leader of the Elders. She was the very first vampire ever and she has the power to harness the element of spirit.”
Liam’s eyes widened. “Spirit is an element?” He asked.
Selene smiled and nodded. “Yes.”
He nodded but didn’t say anything.
“Come forth.” Aphrodite’s strong voice broke through Selene’s thoughts. They all walked closer to them and stopped. The Elders all looked them over for what seemed like an eternity then finally Aphrodite stood and began to walk towards them. The small crowd separated and she stopped in front of Selene. She turned back to look at Malachi who Selene noticed had moved to the back corner of the room. “Is this the girl, Malachi?”
“Yes goddess, it is.” He answered with a simple bow of the head.
She looked at Selene closely and smiled. She walked around her, looking her up and down. She tried to avoid looking her in the eye and stood rigid as she continued around her.
“Come on, Aphrodite, we haven’t got all day.” Hephaestus said standing up.
Aphrodite swung around and looked him right in the eye. “We have as long as I say we have, now sit down.” She glared him back down into his seat. Selene noticed Iris place her hand calmly on his and whisper what she assumed were calming words into his ear. Finally, she seemed satisfied and went back to her large statuesque throne that stood higher than the others.
The five sat in silence for a few minutes. Pandora told Selene that they were communicating telepathically and that she and Kamalia couldn’t break through the barriers of their mind to see what they were saying to each other. Finally, Aphrodite spoke. “So,” she said, “what shall we do with you young vampire? Please step forward little one.”
Hesitantly, Selene walked closer to them. She bowed respectfully and looked up at her. Aphrodite smiled calmly at her, making her smile back. Selene was so dumbfounded by her presence that she couldn’t say anything. She just stood there, rooted in place, with a stupid look on her forever young face.
“So what shall we do with you?” She spoke again.
“You know what you must do.” Hephaestus said sternly.
“Not necessarily,” Iris replied softly, “There are ways to handle this without destruction.”
“She’s right.” Gaea agreed, “How can we promote peace and love to the race of vampires if we behave like savages?”
“Punishing those who have done wrong is not behaving like savages.” Hephaestus snapped at her.
“Punishing without mercy and to such a harsh extent is acting like savages.” Poseidon replied softly.
Aphrodite held her hands up to stop the conversation. She turned to Hephaestus and said, “They’re right Hephaestus. We must calm ourselves and look at this carefully. It is unjust to immediately take such a path.” Their conversation was making Selene nervous. She was really happy when she heard Aphrodite say, “Come forward wolf.”
Liam stepped up beside Selene and took her hand, obviously noticing her nervousness. “Good day your grace,” He greeted with an obvious uncertainty and discomfort but he bowed to her with grace and respect. Selene smiled at the respect he showed to her kind and fell in love with him all over again.
Aphrodite smiled softly and bowed her head slightly. “Well, it is no surprise that we’ve been watching you two very closely. What we have witnessed is shameful to the race of vampires and should not be taken lightly.” She paused and Selene held her breath. “It is impossible for the two races to combine.”
“Treason on the highest level,” Hephaestus scowled. He obviously didn’t like them very much. Iris placed her hand softly on that of her lover’s and whispered soothing words into his ear. Selene could see him calming down slowly.
Poseidon sighed. “Aphrodite,” he spoke, “I’ve been thinking about it and Hephaestus may be right. I don’t see any alternative.”
Gaea gasped. “Poseidon, there’s always an alternative.” Iris nodded.
“Actually,” Liam said stepping up and making Selene nervous because you didn’t just speak to the Elders, “there is an alternative.” Selene closed her eyes and held her breath hoping they wouldn’t kill him right there.
When Aphrodite said, “Please wolf, tell us what else we can do,” in her soft voice Selene opened her eyes and watched.
“Well,” he began, “I was bred through science so by science can it be undone.”
Aphrodite raised an eyebrow and said, “Oh, is that so?”
“Yes your grace,” he replied, “All I need to do is find the man who helped create me and have him remove the wolf gene from me. I will then be human again and will be free to choose who and what I wish to be.” He turned to look at Selene and walked forward, taking her hand in his, “And I choose to be a vampire, so that I may be with my true love.” He smiled the most dazzling smile at Selene and she smiled brightly back at him as tears filled her eyes. Malachi scoffed and rolled his eyes as he stood, arms crossed, in the corner of the room. Selene just ignored him.
The Elders were silent as they telepathically deliberated Liam’s request. Aphrodite sighed and smiled. Hephaestus shook his head angrily and crossed his arms as Iris continued to try and calm him. Eventually, they spoke up. “We have made our decision.” Aphrodite announced.
Hephaestus scoffed and stood, “You’re going to regret this Aphrodite.” With that, he stalked away.
Iris stood and said, “I’m sorry,” then followed him out.
Aphrodite shrugged. “Oh, well. As I said, we have reached a decision. We shall let you live and follow out with your promise.”
“But we will be keeping an extra eye on you,” Poseidon added, sitting forward, “as to ensure us that the deed is carried out.”
“Young vampire,” Aphrodite said to Selene.
“Yes, your grace?” she asked softly, bowing before her.
“I would like to speak to you in private if I may.”
“Yes ma’am.”
Aphrodite stood gracefully and started towards a pair of fancy wooden doors. Selene kissed Liam goodbye and followed quickly behind her. She led Selene down a small corridor into a large empty room. Aphrodite shut the door behind her and turned to look at Selene.
“Tell me something Selene,” It did not surprise her that Aphrodite knew her name, “Do you truly love this wolf, Liam?”
Selene smiled. “With all my heart your grace.”
Aphrodite smiled back at her. “I was in love once,” she replied as she looked off into the distance, obviously having a flashback, “His name was Ares. He was one of the first vampires like us and named himself after the god of war. He really was quite a warrior.” She smiled fondly as she remembered her love, “But he was too war-minded and got himself killed. I couldn’t bear the pain of his loss and I swore I was never going to feel that pain again. I needed a way to leave this world if ever possible without needing the assistance of someone else, since the only way to kill a vampire is to rip them apart and burn them.” Selene nodded, “So I created this.” She pulled out a silver dagger with a beautiful crystal handle.
Selene’s eyes widened and she whispered, “Aphrodite’s dagger.” She had heard about the dagger but Salem and Milena always told her it was just an old wives tale. “So it does exist.” She said as more of a statement than a question.
“Yes,” Aphrodite said looking at it, “it does. And I want you to have it.” She presented it to Selene but she backed up nervously.
“What?” Selene asked confused, “Why?”
Aphrodite stepped towards her. “This plan of Liam’s,” she said, “it’s dangerous. He might not make it. Watching you two together and seeing the way you two feel for each other I thought you might want to have it in case he perishes.”
Selene’s eyes shut tightly as tears began to sting them and she turned her head away. She slowly reached out and took the dagger. “Thank you my lady.” she said through tears as she turned to look back at her. Selene bowed to her once more and began to leave the room.
“I wish you well my daughter.” Aphrodite called to her as I reached the door.
Selene closed my eyes and tears streaked her face once again as she heard her be the mother she wish she had. She inhaled sharply and exited the room.
The others were waiting for her, along with Malachi, in the large room at the entrance of the castle. “What are you still doing here?” She asked, sneering at Malachi.
“What do you think?” He asked, “I’m here to take you all back.” He said these words with such disdain that it made her happy because now he was miserable.
“Um, I think we can find our way back just fine, thanks.”
He stepped toward her and everyone stepped up beside her. He didn’t even bat an eye. “I have been ordered to make sure you get home where the Elders can keep an eye on you.”
Selene sighed and rolled her eyes. “Whatever Malachi, let’s go.” She grabbed Liam’s hand and turned to leave. She wasn’t going to let Malachi get to her anymore.
They took the same way back and thankfully, were back in the woods very soon. They all stood around awkwardly. Malachi stepped forward stopping in front of Liam. “Well dog,” he said, “better get on that little promise of yours,” He looked at Selene, “or I shall return.” He smiled disgustingly and in a gush of wind, he was gone. A chill shivered up her spine and she exhaled deeply as Liam put an arm around her.
“Let’s go home.” Kamalia suggested.
“You guys go ahead.” Selene responded, turning around, “I’ll catch up.”
“Okay,” Pandora accepted and they both ran off back to the house.
“Liam, you-“
“I will take care of it soon.” He said, “I know where Doctor Shultz is. I can get him to remove the gene.”
“But Liam,” Selene replied, “what if it doesn’t work? What happens if you die?”
Liam took her hands in his. “Then you can go on and live your life free like you did before I came along. Life will go back to normal.”
“But I don’t want my life to be back to normal. I want it to be like this.” She closed my eyes softly then opened them to look up at him, “With you.”
“Then I have to do this.” He said, “If we want to be together, I have to do this.”
Selene sighed and looked down. She tried to think of another way but there just wasn’t one. They couldn’t run away. The Elders would just find them wherever they were and they probably wouldn’t have as much mercy on them as they had before. Selene sighed again and nodded. “Okay,” she said, “okay, but promise me everything will be okay.” She placed my hands softly on his cheeks. “Promise me.”
He put his hands softly on top of hers. “I promise.” He said with a smile. “Now, I better do this quickly. The journey won’t be a long one. It should take me a day so meet me back at the old tree in two days at midnight.” Selene nodded but didn’t say a word. Liam kissed her deeply and was gone. A single tear slid down her face and she turned around and began walking home.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where Selene and Amaris become friends.

She had finally managed to calm down by the time she got home. She walked in and once again everyone was sitting in the living room. Well, everyone but Salem and Milena. Luckily, they had decided to still go on their hunt. Ember was finally back from England and she was the first to approach Selene when she walked in the door. She hugged her tight and said, “Oh Selene, I missed you so much. The twins told me everything.” She pulled back and looked at me, “Are you alright? I can imagine meeting the Elders must have been frightening.
She just shrugged. “I guess,” she replied. Ember didn’t say anything. She just hugged her again and walked back over to sit down next to her brother. Jett sat in the large chair by the window looking out across the yard, not speaking or even looking at Selene. “Jett,” she called, “Jett!” He just ignored her so she walked over to him. “Jett, talk to me.” She pleaded.
“Alright!” he exploded, “How about you breaking the cardinal rule of vampires and almost getting yourself killed? You want to talk about that, huh? Or how about him coming back, just like I said he would? But no, you believed he’d just stay away. You believed he would leave us alone. That he would forget about us. That he would forget about you. Selene, that man will never forget about you! I cannot believe you would do something this stupid!” He sat back down and looked back out the window breathing heavily.
Selene just stood there in awe with tears forming in her eyes. She walked away and Ember went over to him. She whispered in his ear and they left the room together. As they walked out, Ember looked over at Selene and mouthed the words I’m sorry.
“Selene,” Mica said with open arms, “come here.” She walked into the warm embrace of her father and cried against his chest. “Don’t mind Jett, my child. He knows not what he says.”
She pulled back. “Yeah, I guess.” She didn’t know what to do or say. She wiped my eyes and exhaled.
“Vampire!” She heard her shouting from outside, “Get out here! NOW!” She stepped back and her brows furrowed in confusion. She kept shouting for Selene to come outside.
She started to walk towards the door but Drake put an arm in front of her, impeding her from reaching the door. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea Selene.”
Selene looked over at Mica and he sighed. “Let her go Drake.” He said, “She’ll be fine.”
Drake did as he was told and she marched outside to meet Amaris. When Selene stepped out Amaris rushed forward. “How could you?” She asked angrily.
“What?” Selene asked in genuine confusion.
“Liam is on his way to get the experiment reversed. He’s going to make himself human again. He’s going to die. And all because of you!” She started to lung forward but stopped herself.
“Amaris,” Selene said calmly, stepping toward her, “I didn’t want him to do it. I’m just as worried about him as you are. But it was something he had to do and wants to do. I couldn’t talk him out of it and neither can you.”
Amaris looked at her with undeniable anger then her face went soft and she started to cry. She began to fall as she wept but Selene rushed towards her and caught her before she hit the ground. She cried against her as Selene rubbed her head and calmed her. Amaris looked up at her. “Why are you being so nice to me?” She asked, “Why aren’t you killing me?”
“Because,” Selene said, “I love your brother. And I have a respect for your kind. I’m not a killer.”
Amaris smiled at her and looked down. She stood up and stepped back. “I’m sorry.” She said then looked up at her again.
She shook her head then looked at Amaris and smiled. She held out her hand. “Friends?”
Amaris returned her smile and accepted her hand. “Friends.”
The next two days were the longest days she’d ever spent. Most of the time, she was in her room thinking of Liam and waiting for the time when she could see him again.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where it all ends.

Finally, it was time to meet him. Selene went out to the woods and waited by the old tree where they had first met. She waited for what felt like forever when finally she heard someone coming through the woods. “Liam!” She exclaimed.
“I don’t think so.” Malachi said smoothly as he stepped out from behind the trees.
She stepped back. “Malachi? What are you doing here?” He smiled as he continued towards her. “That’s close enough! Now tell me what the hell you’re doing here!”
“Oh, I’m just here to deliver a message,” he said, “about your beloved dog.”
The rage was burning inside of her and she was fighting hard not to let it take over. “What are you talking about Malachi? What about Liam? And don’t you call him that!”
Malachi laughed and looked at her. “Oh, I just thought I’d let you know that little lover boy didn’t survive the experiment.” Selene’s eyes widened and her mouth dropped. “That’s right. Poor little mutt is dead.” He laughed again and Selene lunged at him but before she could catch him he was gone. Selene sunk down into the ground and cried. Aphrodite’s words came flooding back into her mind and she looked up. She knew what she had to do.
She ran home, snuck upstairs, grabbed the dagger, and went back to the woods. She returned to the same old tree and sat down between two of the strong roots. She pulled out the dagger and took a deep breath. “I love you Liam.” she whispered into the wind and then plunged the dagger into her broken heart.

Shortly after he heart stopped beating, Liam came upon the scene. He didn’t notice her at first and looked around for her. Finally, he looked down and sunk to ground in sorrow. He made sure she was dead and held her close as he screamed at the sky. He looked back down at her and saw the dagger still protruding from her chest. Then, it hit him. He wanted to die too. So he carefully removed the dagger from Selene’s chest and pushed it into his own. He grimaced in pain then fell limp next to her, still holding her in his arms.
Back at the house, everyone was sitting around the living room wondering about Selene and why she wasn’t home. Amaris had stayed with them after her confrontation with Selene. Salem and Milena had been called back from their hunt by Mica and were sitting in the corner of the room wearing matching looks of disdain on their forever young faces. Out of nowhere, Amaris shrieked as if in pain. Everyone turned to her.
“What is it?” Jett asked, “Did you have a vision?” By now, she had already told them about her powers of foretelling the future.
Amaris nodded feebly. “Yes,” she said weakly.
“What did you see child?” Mica asked with kind authority.
Amaris looked down and sighed as she fiddled her thumbs. Then, she looked up and locked her eyes on Jett. “We need to get to the woods now!”
“What?” Drake asked, “Why?”
“Liam and Selene might be in trouble. I’m hoping I can stop what I saw.”
“What exactly did you see?” Milena asked standing and crossing her arms over her chest contemptuously.
“Like I said,” she explained, “Liam and Selene might be in trouble. We have to go. Now!”
Salem stood. “What do you mean trouble? What happened to her?” Everyone, especially Milena, turned and stared at him, shocked by the sincerity in this voice and just the comment alone. “I mean them.” He corrected himself trying to hide the fact that he was actually in love with Selene.
“There’s no time to explain,” Amaris responded, “but if we don’t leave now they could die!” That got everybody’s attention. Once she said that, everyone was up and ready to go. They found the spot next to the large, old tree where Selene and Liam lay, dead and embracing each other.
“We’re too late.” Pandora said softly.
Drake walked up to them and pulled the dagger from Liam’s chest. His eyes widened. “Oh my god.” He exclaimed.
“What?” Kamalia asked, “What is it?”
“Aphrodite’s dagger.” He replied in a flat tone and everyone gasped in shock.
Jett, ignoring Drake’s discovery, fell to his knees beside his sister. Ember came up next to him and placed her hand on his shoulder. Jett put his hand sympathetically on hers. “How could this happen?” He asked delicately, no one answered. He stood and turned to them and with more aggression repeated himself. “How could this happen?! Why would my sister take her own life? Why?” He burst into tears and sank back to the ground. Ember sat down next to him and cradled him as he cried against her chest.
Salem turned to Amaris abruptly. “You saw this happen. Right?” Amaris nodded. “Well, did you see why it happened? Did you see the cause, what led up to it?”
Amaris nodded again. “I saw Selene waiting for Liam by the tree. She turned and some man entered the clearing. She obviously knew the man and he definitely knew her. I could tell from the way he looked at her, with kind of a sick attraction to her.”
“Malachi!” Jett said, looking up at her with wide eyes.
“That’s what she called him.” Amaris responded. “He lied to her. He told her that Liam didn’t survive the experiment so she killed herself. Then, when Liam finally got here he found her dead and took his own life.” An intense look of pain spread across her face as she recounted her brother’s death, wishing she could have never seen it. She walked over to Jett and kneeled down in front of him. She placed her hand on his shoulder. “I know how you feel.” She told him, “Liam was my brother. I know your anguish. Believe me. I feel the same sorrow as you.”
Jett nodded. “Thank you.” He forced a smiled and finally found the strength to stand. “I’m sorry about your brother.” He added. Amaris returned his smile.
“What do we do now?” Ember asked softly, to no one in particular.
“We must be strong for one another.” Mica answered with just as much wisdom as he always had. “This is not the time to break down and lose ourselves. Yes, their deaths are quite tragic but we can’t let it end our whole world.” He paused and sighed. “We must dispose of them.” Everyone’s eyes widened and they all prayed he didn’t mean it in the way they had taken it.
“What do you mean by ‘dispose of them’ father?” Pandora asked.
Mica looked up and said, “It’s possible that we may have to destroy them.” Gasps escaped the lips of everyone in the group.
“No!” Amaris cried, “Please sir, please! You can’t do that to my brother. Let us bury him. Please!” She begged him and began to cry. Drake, who was standing near her, held her comfortingly as she sobbed.
Mica sighed and nodded once. “Very well,” he said, “we will not destroy them, but bury them with all the tradition they deserve.” A thick, tense air floated through the group and no one could speak or move from their place. Death had settled on them like dense fog around a dark swamp.
They performed a ceremonial burial for Selene and a cleansing ritual for Liam after they had returned him back to his coven.

The author's comments:
This is the chapter where the narrator, Aria, is introduced.

It has been almost a hundred years since Liam and Selene took their own lives in the name of love and I am the newest member of Mica’s clan. My name is Aria Winchester and I found out about Liam and Selene when I first became part of the family almost twenty-five years ago. I had been kidnapped by an escaped mental patient and was presumed dead. Salem had found me and brought me back to Mica who changed me. When I woke up I was scared and thirsty, thirstier than I had ever been before in my life. Over time my thirst subsided and I began to accept what I was. The one thing that was a little hard to grasp was my incredible physical metamorphosis. My drab straight blonde hair had transformed into golden permanent curls, my eyes had brightened drastically to a piercing blue color and my horrible complexion had softened to a beautiful porcelain tone.
I have the power to communicate with dead which also includes dead vampires, werewolves, and other creatures. That is how I know so much about their story, aside from what the twins and Jett tell me. I have been communicating with them for many years now and quite enjoy their company. They actually materialize before me, it’s not just a voice in my head, but I am the only one who can see them so they have used me to deliver messages to the families. That was how Liam’s coven found out the truth about his death.
Knowing what I do about the tragedy frightens me at times and I don’t know how to handle it. I wonder what will become of me, if I will be able to enjoy life as a vampire or if I might suffer a similar fate to unknown “sister”. I feel a sort of fullness being part of this family that I can’t fully understand but I will keep searching until I find the answer. Right now I will be happy and live in peace with those around me as I bear through the hardest Winter Solstice I’ve ever faced.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.