Conflicted (Unfinished)

Author's note: This piece really means a lot to me and I am trying my hardest to make it the best that it can...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This piece really means a lot to me and I am trying my hardest to make it the best that it can be. Most of the time, I have experienced the events and feelings portrayed in the chapters, and I am trying hard to make the readers feel like they are right there with the characters.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jonathan and I didn’t really talk for the next thirty minutes. We were too busy finishing up with the decorations, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t catch him staring at me a couple of times.
My coach finally showed up and so did the rest of the cheerleading team. The football boys shuffled around and looked uncomfortable, but I don’t blame them. Mary was barking orders at them and they just didn’t know what to do. A few cheerleaders mingled with them, including me and Ava.
“Ava, come here. Let’s go talk to them.” I said under my breath, so that only she could hear.
Ava nodded and then we walked over to them. We were both smiling and laughing as we approached a boy in our grade.
We talked to him for a few moments, but I only wanted to talk to Jonathan. Speaking of him. Where was he?
“Amara? Can you come here please?” Mary’s voice was high and demanding.
I left Ava to talk to the boys and walked to where Mary was standing behind the truck.
“Yes?” I asked , Mary.
“Can you get the girls ready to start walking. Make sure all their bags are in the truck and everything?”
“Yeah, of course.” I walked away and went up to a couple of girls telling them to get ready.
Five minutes later, the truck was rolling and everyone was following behind it. We waved to all the people and smiled as we walked along the streets. I was happy to be out, getting some sun. It was hot out and the sun was shining down on us the whole morning. I wouldn’t be surprised if I was sunburned later.

~~~~~~~
Jonathan’s POV

I’m walking behind about forty cheerleaders in short skirts and yet I’m only looking for one girl. Amara was beautiful, and I don’t even think she knows it. The moment she touched my face I felt like I belonged to her. I can still feel her soft hands stroking my cheek.
Her brown eyes locked me on her face as soon as I opened my eyes. I knew what she was feeling when she told me she was lost in my eyes. It was happening to me too. I’ve never see deeper brown eyes in my life. Then again, I really don’t make a point of looking into girls’ eyes…
I take another deep breath and try to look around somewhere beside the pack of cheerleaders ahead of me. I’m glad that I wasn’t on the fire truck like the most of the football boys. I would’ve been able to watch Amara the whole time. A couple other guys and I decided to walk in front of the fire truck instead. It seemed safer down here anyways.
I don’t even know why I am here to be honest. I know this sounds bad, but I don’t even care that I am part of the stupid football team. We have sucked for the past three years, and I doubt we will be better this year. The only reason I am here is because my coach bribed us, with a shortened practice next week, but everyone had to show up. I didn’t want to get my ass kicked by my teammates so I came.
Too bad, my car is broken down and I had to have my sister drop me off. I wouldn’t have been here so early if I had my own car. I probably could have slept in a couple more hours. My sister had to go to work and the only time she could drop me off was an hour before I actually had to be here. I guess I am sort of glad that I was dropped off early though. I got to meet Amara, didn’t I?
God. I’ve only known her for an hour and I can’t get her out of my head. What am I going to do? Nothing probably. I mean I won’t have any classes with her. Her mom mentioned that she was a junior, and since I am going to be a senior it will have to be a complete miracle for me to have a class with her. But that doesn’t I won’t see her in the hallways, I hope.
I really need to get my mind off of her. I don’t need her invading my mind right now. I know that sounds mean but I have to focus on my grades this year if I wasn’t to go into the army after I graduate. Plus she probably won’t want to get to know me anyways. She’s too good for me.
“Dude, you okay?” someone punched my arm, playfully.
“What?” I paused, “I mean, yeah I’m okay.”
“Okay, man. Whatever,” another guy said.
We kept walking and I kept looking for Amara in the group of girls walking ahead of me. I got a glimpse of her and my heart sped up. What was wrong with me? She was whispering to her friend, Ava, I think. They were snickering and looking around. I wonder what they were talking about.
We finally finished the parade and Amara’s dad pulled the truck into the parking lot to begin tearing down all the hard work we put into it this morning.
I liked Amara’s parents. They were pretty easy going and it was obvious how much they cared about her. My parents would never go into that much trouble for me. I mean, my parents care about me and all, but they wouldn’t do something like this.
I felt really comfortable around her parents this morning, her mom especially. Mrs. Collins was funny and she liked to tease Amara. Amara was blushing the whole time her mom was talking to her and I couldn’t help but think how adorable Amara looked.
I noticed I was smiling to myself as I walked up to the black truck Amara’s dad was driving, and I quickly frowned, hoping no one saw. I needed to grab my bag from the back of it before I called for a ride home.
“I saw that,” her voice sent shivers down my spine as she mimicked my tone from earlier. “I can’t help but wonder what you were smiling about,” Amara said, her eyes gazing up at me.
I grabbed my bag from the back of the trunk and looked at her. “I was think about you.” I said, knowing that would catch her off guard.
She looked confused at first and then her cheeks grew red.
I laughed to myself. “I was actually thinking about how cute you are when you blush like that.” She turned redder and stuck her tongue out at me. I laughed again and she turned to walk away. I couldn’t help but smile.
I called one of my friends Carter, hoping he could give me a ride. He and I had only just met a few months ago when I moved here, but he had invited me to a few parties and had got to know him and a few other people really well.
“Hey, man. Can you do me a huge favor?” I asked, after Carter answered the phone.
“Yeah, anything. What’s up?” he asked.
“Can you pick me up at the end of the parade?”
“Yeah, for sure Jonathan. Give me five minutes.”
“Great. Thanks,” I said.
“Sure.” Carter said and hung up.
I hung up and locked my phone sliding it into my front pants pocket. I ran my fingers over my short hair and took a deep breath. I needed to find somewhere to sit under a tree nearby until Carter showed up.

~~~~~~~~~~
Amara’s POV

Finally the parade was over. Thank God. As much as I thought parades were fun, they were always a relief to get over with. Mary was sometimes too much for me, not to mention all the other girls. Plus I had to deal with the boys who thought they were too good to be here and kept laughing at us the whole time. No doubt making fun of our stupid skirts and lame ass cheers. Typical East Land behavior. I barely even noticed anymore.
Talking to Jonathan after the parade made me smile inside. I had been thinking about him the whole time, and even messed up a few cheers because I was…preoccupied. I was talking to Ava about him a little, but she had a story to tell about her own “boy” she found. I tried to listen hard, but I was having difficulty focusing on her.
I was embarrassed after I talked to Jonathan. I never blush, but then again I never talk to boys. He told me I was cute when I blushed, which only made it worse. So I just walked away. I didn’t really feel like embarrassing myself more. I’m sure I’ll see him around school, at least I hope.
I walk around picking up random garbage and left over decorations that were left behind or blown away in the wind. About thirty minutes later we are ready to head home again. Everyone has left now, except my family and Ava and her family. Not going to lie, I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t get to see Jonathan one more time before he left. I just wanted to hear his voice again.
“Uhm Ava?” I asked. “When is the first day of school?”
She looked at me like I was crazy. “Amara, seriously? Did you just ask me that question? I don’t even want to talk about it.”
“Well can you at least tell me?” I asked.
“Uhm I dunno. Like five days or something.” She paused and looked at me. “Why?”
“I was just wondering.”
“You hate school,” she accused.
“No I don’t! That’s you.”
“Oh, yeah..”
I smiled at Ava. She was my best friend for a reason.
“Amara! Ava! Want to go out for a bite to eat?” My mom yelled. She was talking to my dad and Ava’s parents.
I looked at Ava and she didn’t look like she cared much.
“Yeah, sure.” I said.
“Okay, then. Let’s get in the car.” My dad said, climbing into the front seat of the truck.
Ava and I had the friendship that didn’t need words. We could tell if something was wrong with each other before they even spoke a word. I could tell Ava was angry by the way she was walking, that was how well we knew each other. Although, we were complete opposites when it came to everything, we somehow made it work.
Some people are actually jealous of our friendship, which I think is ridiculous, but I could care less. Ava and I are in it for the long run. We know more about each other that our parents do and tell each other almost everything.
Some people say we can actually talk telepathically, which we obviously can’t, but it sometimes seems like we can. We finish each other’s sentences and say things at the same time. She the only friend that I can say “Do you remember that one time we did that one thing?” and Ava will know exactly what I’m talking about. That’s how close we are.
Of course, we have had our rough times, but that only makes our friendship stronger. And recently, there hasn’t been one of those and we plan to keep it that way.
“So where should we go to eat?” Ava asked me, bringing me out of my thoughts.
“Somewhere good.” I said. Ava decided to ride with my family and my brother decided to ride with her brother and family.
“Well that’s a given.” She said to me and I smiled.
“I don’t care, really, I guess.” I said. “I’m actually feeling like some Mexican.”
“I was just going to say that,” Ava said, laughing. I just shook my head.
“Mom, can we have Mexican?” I asked.
“Yeah, sure, honey. That’s fine. I think Caldwell’s are okay with that.” My mom said turning around to look at me.
“Yeah, I’m sure they’ll be find,” Ava spoke up.
“Okay! Mexican it is!” I said, throwing my hands in the air. Ava rolled her eyes at me. “You know you love me,” I said.
“Surre..” She said, trying to hide her smile.
God. I love my best friend.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Jaguar17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:58 am
This is awesome, hope there['s more :D hurry and write more <3

ForThoseWhoHaveHeart said...
This was simply amazing. I hope you almost done with the next few chapters! I loved it.(: Continue with the good work.