If Your Life Depended on It

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Yours Truly

She led me through each corridor, explaining what each one contained. This one was for expecting mothers, and the one to the left was for young children with diseases. I nodded to show her I understood, but my mind was too busy racing to give her even a one word reply. I thought about how Mason would feel, if he would be in shock that something so tragic had happened to him, or if he would be calm and serene, not wanting to remember the accident at all. These thoughts filled my head until we reached room 195B, Mason’s room for the next week. The nurse entered the room, but I lingered in the hallway. My breathing became shallow as I began to panic. Would he be angry that I couldn’t get him to a hospital sooner? Would he be too understanding, making me feel even more guilty? I slid down the wall and put my head between my knees to try and calm my breathing. This is how the nurse found me a moment later when she came to get me.
“Oh sweetie, are you sure you can do this?” she asked. I really didn’t know, but Mason wanted me in there so I knew I had to pull it together. I nodded and she helped me to my feet. She then led me cautiously into the room, not sure if I would have a panic attack again. I looked up and saw Mason’s face watching me. He looked concerned, his eyes following me all the way to the chair next to his bed. She gave us one last smile, then left us alone to talk.
“So,” I began. I looked around to room, not letting my eyes rest on his patient gaze.
“Kylie I know this is hard for you. Believe me, I get it,” he said earnestly, “ That was a scary incident, but I think we can forget it for a while. I want to ask you some questions, and I need you to give me your honest answers.” Against my wishes, my lower lip began to tremble and hot tears escaped through the corners of my eyes. I looked away quickly so he wouldn’t see, but he saw it.
“Kylie, come here,” he soothed. I laid down on the bed next to him and cuddled into his waiting arms. I buried my head in his shoulder and I let the tears roll freely, not even bothering to wipe them away. I sobbed and blubbered like a baby while he stroked my hair and muttered soothing words in my ears. When I finally regained my composure, he kissed my forehead and gave me a gentle squeeze. Being with him again felt like a lost piece of my should returning to me. I felt complete for the first time since that boulder swept him away.
“Why are you crying?” he asked.
“Mason, for the past few days I have been worrying about keeping you alive,” I said. He nodded, encouraging me to continue.
“Well, it’s not exactly easy to talk about. I almost lost you Mason, and that really shook me up. I have been an emotional wreck on the inside, but I can’t hold it in anymore.” I said. I did feel a little better getting that off my chest, but I had a lot more venting to do before I would completely heal.
“Kylie, I know how you feel. I almost lost my life, my family, and I almost lost you, too. I prayed to God every day that he would keep me alive. I had some bleeding in my head from the rocks hitting it so hard, but I didn’t tell you because I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. But everyday it made me feel dizzy and I had a hard time remembering some things. It got so bad that after I scared off the wolf, I thought my head was going to explode. It’s better now, but it’s still sore.” he explained. I knew exactly what he meant. I thought my head was going to explode that first night from being so full of thoughts and concerns. I may not have had internal bleeding, but it sure felt like it.
“Kylie?” he asked.
“Yeah?” I replied
“Will you help me off of the bed? I need to stretch my legs.” he said, sounding a little restless.
“Sure.” I said. I got up off the bed then turned to help him up. I put my arm around him for support and he gently slid off of the bed. Once he was on two feet, he walked around his room. He would stop every few feet to stretch, then he would resume walking.
“Kylie?” he asked again.
“What’s up?” I replied.
“Will you go out to the vending machine and get me a bottle of water?” he asked.
“Sure, but isn’t that your water over there?” I asked, pointing to the water on his table.
“Oh that, well that’s really old and I like bottled water better.” he said quickly.
“Ok, I’ll go get a bottle.” I said cautiously, wondering why he was being weird.
I left the room and went in search of a vending machine. There weren’t many on the floor, just one at the far end of the hallway. When I approached the machine, I was disappointed to see that it only had sparkling water or juice. What hospital doesn’t sell regular water? Oh well, I’ll just get him one of each and he can choose. After buying the drinks I began the long walk back to his room, walking a little slower than usual. Why did he want me to go get him water when he had some right there? I wondered. He seemed kind of anxious, as if he wanted me to leave the room. He was acting pretty weird. I quickened my pace, wanting to make sure everything was okay. When I reached his room I found the door shut and the lights off. That’s really weird, I thought. I opened the door quickly and found myself surrounded by flower petals. There were candles everywhere, providing a light with a warm glow. I looked around, astonished, and my eyes rested upon Mason standing at the foot of his bed facing me.
“Mason, what’s going on?” I asked.
“Kylie, there’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time.” he said, his voice very calm but confident.
“What?” I asked, dumbfounded. I watched him slowly get down on one knee, pulling a small, red box from his pocket.
“Mason, what are you doing?” I asked him, a smile slowly spreading onto my face.
“Kylie, being out in those woods with you really changed my perspective on things. You saved my life, and you did everything for me. It made me realize that you were the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.” he declared.
“Mason...” I began, but he held a finger to my lips to quiet me.
“Kylie, I promise to love you forever. Will you marry me?” And with that, he opened the box to a little diamond ring.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6