Truly Loving | Teen Ink

Truly Loving

February 6, 2012
By Smattox SILVER, Fairview, North Carolina
More by this author
Smattox SILVER, Fairview, North Carolina
9 articles 8 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When the going gets tough, the tough goes shopping."


Author's note: I began writing this when going through a rough patch with my ex's.

"Krystal! Hurry up, we're going to miss the bus!" I yelled as Jasmine and I walked out the door. "I swear, if she was living by herself she'd get nowhere in life," I murmured. As Jasmine and I got down the road to wait for the bus you could hear Krystal running up behind us. She had her purse in one hand and a hairbrush in the other.

"I keep telling you that I won't miss the bus," she spoke. I couldn't hear the rest of her words as I thought, "Her hair has been colored so many times, I'm surprised the strands of hair in her brush weren't in the form of a rainbow." I chuckled a little forgetting that it was an inside thought.

"Hey, Kris, where's your book bag?" For a moment I had forgotten that Jasmine was behind me that I started to freak out when I heard the soft voice coming from my friend.

"Ah s***! Get the bus driver to wait on me!" Those were the last words I heard from her before she bolted for the house.

Three teenage girls living in a three bedroom house by ourselves. See, all of our parents have gotten to the point of killing us if we keep living with them so when the three of us put our heads together we thought of the idea of moving out and getting our own place. Our parents are all splitting the bills though. My parents are paying for the power bill, Jasmines parents are paying for the water bill, and Krystal’s parents bought the house to begin with and put furniture in it. Everything else, we have to pay for, like food, new furniture, and if we want one, we will have to buy our own car and the gas with it.

At that point the bus started pulling up the road and drove up to pick us up and as I sat down in my seat and the bus doors closed you could hear Krystal yelling, "Wait for me!" I had forgotten to tell the driver to stop but I think her high pitched voice caught Ryan’s attention as the doors opened once more. When she got on the bus she glared at me then sat next to Catherine while Jasmine sat next to Catherine's sister, Julia. I sat alone in my seat thinking of my schedule for the day. I have school till three then Andrew is giving me a ride to work at Raymond’s Art Museum then picking me up to get some food and take me home. I would ask him to give me a ride to school so I don't have to ride the bus, but I don't want him driving me everywhere and wasting gas. Andrew is the most amazing boyfriend ever for wanting to do everything for me, but I don't want to be treated like a child when I'm going to be an adult in two months. I'm just glad tomorrow is the last day of school so I can relax a little more.

By the end of the day, I wake up in Biology to someone screaming, "It's my last day of school!" Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that he woke me up when class ended, it's just that he could've done it a little quieter. At that point I grabbed my bag and left the room to wait outside for my Andy.

When my Andy finally gets here from his last college class he turned the car off, and came over to my side, placed his hands on my hips and gave me a nice greeting kiss. Next thing I know, Flash! When I was able to see again, I saw Andrew with a smile on his face and Jasmine with a camera.

Before I could say anything she commented, "Is this good enough," and showed the picture to Andy. Were they on a secret mission to try and make a copy of me so they don't have to share me anymore, cause if so they the other me can go to work and school. I smiled as I thought to myself.

"Yeah, that’s perfect. I finally have a cute picture with my girl. Thanks JP," he replied. I don't know why he calls her that instead of her name. JP stands for Jasmine Pierre but I love her name so much that I would never give her a nickname like that; he could've at least called her Jazz.

Wait a second! "You have cute pictures of us though, like the ones we took at the park, at my house, at school, and at work. Why is this one so special?" At this point I'm getting a little upset over the comment because I'm unsure why this is the first CUTE picture of us.

"This is our first cute picture of us on our anniversary though. That’s why this one is so special," he said then smiled. "And I also have a surprise for you tonight after dinner along with one at your work." He then opened my door for me and I got into his silver Dodge and rode away to a wonderland people call work.


After I finished my shift early Betty, my boss, let me leave early in celebration but she did inform me that tomorrow we will have a new assistant manager and that I have to show her the ropes. Then she led me into the back and showed me a package that Andrew dropped off for me. I tore the box open immediately in excitement and picked up the beautiful red gown that was lying inside. At that point I didn't care about anything else except getting that dress on and once it was on I was blinded by another flashing from a camera, but this time it was Betty's phone.

"You look beautiful," she said with tears rolling down her face. "I just wish that I had a guy that will buy me expensive dresses like that. Just don't forget about tomorrow; the assistants name is...." The conversation ended when I dashed out the door and jumped in the mysterious dodge that was waiting for me outside.

As we walked into the restaurant, I immediately see a familiar face in the crowd of fancy dressed people standing inside. It was Madison. I haven't spoken to her in awhile but you can see she noticed me too as she walked over to us and brought us to our table with a smile.

Madison was a friend I had known for awhile. I met her at school a year or two ago and took her under my wing as a daughter I suppose. This was the first time seeing her since I told her that I was living with the girls at the house about two or three months ago. She wasn't wearing her casual t-shirts that she would usually wear, she was in a light blue tuxedo with her hair pulled back and she was wearing black dance shoes with it. She looked very elegant in a man’s evening wear but she wasn't the only one wearing a tux. All the waiters and waitresses were wearing them, but girls could choose the color of theirs while the guys had to wear black ones. To be honest, I like the variety of outfits in the room.

"So what brings you both to a fancy restaurant? With these prices you could find an apartment cheaper." She chuckled. Sometimes I miss Maddies laugh, because it was always uplifting no matter how bad things seem. "Well I know something that tastes so amazing that you have to try it. I'll bring it right out, and I guess we all know who's paying," she said giving Andrew a wink. It's not like I don't have money on me, it's just that I wouldn't exactly have that much to splurge on myself.

"Hey! I have money, it's just that he wanted to pay as a present," I said hoping I could be more confident with my words as she walked away. I hate how he just throws his money around and buys pointless things. We didn't have to come to a fancy restaurant; we could've saved about two thousand dollars by not coming here or getting this dress. He could've just got some Ramen and we could've had a movie night like on the first date, but he wanted to do something special. Well I'm just glad he understands that I always give gifts at the end of the day, no matter what the occasion is. I have the best gift for him, and I'm hoping he likes it.

"So now that we're alone, we can talk," he snorted. I don't know why, but he's never liked any of my friends. He just recently warmed up to liking Jasmine and Krystal after our last fight, but that’s in the past now.

"Ok, what do you want to talk about; other than how amazing of a job you did when surprising me all day?" I smiled thinking of how amazing of a day I've had. He let out a soft laugh and smiled back probably thinking of how easy it is to please me, which it is. He's so easy to talk to too, it's like we've known each other since we were kids, even though we've only known each other for about two years.

At that point he was about to speak until the food came out and we ate what looked and tasted like chicken alfrado. All throughout dinner our conversation was mostly quiet as we listened to the wondrous music being played in the back ground. Our topics were mostly on how our schools were going and he asked what was new at work today. I just gave him the simple answer of 'nothing' and 'same as always', which he gladly didn't question further since he hated small talk at dinner. I never understood it but ever since I've dated him I've been a little quieter than I used to be.

As we finished our dinner and headed to my house, he walked me to the porch and had said, "I love you, with all my heart and I always will." The sweet thought consumed me and I don't know why, but I felt like this was the first time he's ever meant it. After he said this, he knelt to the ground and took out a small white box from his pocket and added, "Will you marry me?"

I didn't know what to say. I was surprised and shocked and I didn't know what to think or do. I was.... I don't know. Was I ready for this? I must be. I love him. I do love him right? I can't even believe I'm questioning that! What does he expect me to do?

"I'm only seventeen and still in high school! I'm not ready to marry," I explained as I immediately ran inside crying. I was scared. I'm still in high school. I'm not even a senior yet. I'm not ready to be thrown in the adult world yet! Ha-ha. How ironic. I'm a seventeen year old living in a house away from my parents with my own paying job. I'm already part of the adult world so why am I so scared now? I calmed down a little more when I heard his car door shut and his car driving away. I can't believe I just ran off when asked a single question. He didn't even show me the ring yet! I wish I wasn't such a coward.

Not long after he had left, Krystal and her boyfriend, Tyler, walked in staring at this girl curled up in a blanket on the couch. They exchanged glances and she mumbled, "Sorry babe, but it seems like I need to do some comforting. Can we reschedule?" Such a comment from her had surprised me. It's almost impossible to see her away from him, but at the same time it's a rare sight for her to see me upset like this. Tyler is out of high school already but he's not doing college for another year or two so sometimes he just sleeps over when we have school or an occasion. At that time, Ty gave her a goodbye kiss and walked out the door.

As Krystal came up to me she immediately knew part of the situation when she said, "What'd he do? It's your anniversary, how could he possibly mess tonight up?"

Starting to tear up again I tried to reply, "He didn't mess up, he could never. It's not possible for him to possibly mess anything up because he's perfect." The tears are falling out of my eyes now in reaction of my stupidity. Why am I making such a big deal out of this? It's because it's making me think that time is going by too fast. It feels like... I don't know. I feel so old and that soon I'll be off to college, I will be married with children, and then my children will have children, then... I shouldn't think like that, it's making me feel sick. Wiping the tears away I look up to my friend and notice a strange face I haven't seen before. It's like you can see that she's thinking but that she's thinking of the worst possible things he could've done.

"He proposed, and I just freaked out. I don't know what to do. I'm still in high school and first off I'm not even old enough to get married. What do I do?" I'm lost in the thoughts I had just said. Am I just over thinking it or is it the planning of things that's making me lose my focus.

All thoughts freeze when she asks, "Do you truly love him?" Those words flow out of her mouth as though she's doubtful. I don't even know.

My first instinct is obvious of a teenage girl, "Of course I do. I've been with him a year today, he's cute, sweet, charming, and..."

"But that's not what I asked, now is it Sabrina? I asked if you really love him." You could tell she knew the answer when her face turned serious. How many times have I actually said, "I love you?" Have I said it to any guy I've been with? These thoughts all come at me like I had just been struck. I didn't realize that I've only said it to my friends and family. When my ex's used to say, "I love you," I would just reply with a, "You too," or, "Yea." How have I not noticed this before? Am I capable to handle loving a guy?

Krystal walked off into the kitchen as I pondered. She was opening and closing cabinets as though looking for something specific. My only thought at that time was, "What do I do next?"

Next thing I knew, Kris was coming over to me with two cups of hot chocolate, giving one to me and sipping on the other one before she turned on the television to watch The Lying Game.


The next day came and went too fast. I ditched school since all they did was the school party. I just felt drained, but I still had to go into work so I got my ex, DJ, to give me a ride in his new car since I was still confused about Andrew. When he picked me up, he didn't miss looking at my low cut pink dress I was wearing. After I got in the car and got buckled up he was still staring at me so I gently tilted his head up to keep him from looking where he shouldn't have been, and after his face turned bright red he cranked the car and headed off to my work. DJ was a sweet guy but I broke up with him because he was too sweet and clingy.

"So how're you and Andrew?" he asked with a decency of trying to be nice, but once again his "niceness" didn't make me feel better, but actually made me feel worse. If I don't reply then he'd think that I was ignoring him then he'll be upset, but if I do reply he'll just keep talking and annoying me.

"I don't want to talk about him," I politely replied. That was the nicest way of saying anything to him, but it was true as well.

"Okay," he said with a sly smile. "How's my princess?" he continued while rubbing his hand across my leg.

"Your princess? Did you forget that I broke up with you about a year and a half ago? Did you also forget that I have a boyfriend? Now remove your hand from my thigh or else you won't live to see tomorrow," I said starting to raise my voice. I then grabbed his wrist so I can move it, until he grabbed both of mine.

"You will NOT tell me what to do! I've changed since we've dated," he claimed. Then he forced a kiss onto my mouth with hard pressure. The only thing I could do, I did. I, then, bit his tongue.

"You b****!" he screamed as I had been let loose and ran out of the car. I closed my eyes and ran for my life. I opened my eyes after I ran into a cute, lean, runner. When you think of blonde, most people would think of girls, but he was pretty hot.

"Get back here," my ex had yelled from down the road. I immediately ran behind this new stranger and hung on to part of his sleeve while trying to hide.

"Hey what’s going on?" asked this stranger after taking out his ear phones. At that point, DJ had caught up with me. Pushing new guy out of his way, DJ raised his hand to strike me and I closed my eyes hoping it wouldn't hurt too much.

"What do you think you're doing," I heard from a voice in front of me. Opening my eyes I see DJ's arm being held up by the new friend. "You do NOT strike a girl and scare her to death," he spoke.

Dropping my ex's wrist and letting him go DJ replied, "You don't even know the situation, but if you interrupt me one more time then she won't be the only one getting hit."

"Are you threatening me?" said the blonde. Next thing I knew punches were being thrown at each other. I wasn't sure who started it, but since DJ seems to have anger issues then I would think it was him. All of a sudden, he was on the ground. "You will not disrespect your peers like this," my hero had commanded. After that, I watched the harmful ex of mine attempt to stand up and walk away. Following him was a trail of his own deep, pure, red blood. The sight of it made me feel queasy. I felt weak and my eyes closed as if falling asleep.

I woke up to finding some sort of dog licking my face. I immediately sit up on a couch that is obviously not mine. Where am I? Out of the corner of my eye I can see a tall figure in the distance smiling.

"Good afternoon," I could hear him say faintly. Rubbing my eyes to clear my vision, I see a familiar face looking at me but unknowing whom he was I ask, "Who are you and where am I?"

As he walked closer, I noticed his upper arm had been bandaged together, most likely by himself because it was done wrong, but his arm wasn't the only thing I was looking at. This shirtless man walking towards me had a nice six-pack and wore his jeans to perfection. Ohmygod. He knew that I was looking down as he smiled when I looked back up to his face.

"So I take it you don't remember what happened this morning?" he asked with the softest voice. He kind of sounded like he could have descended from heaven. Sitting down next to me, he laid his hand on my head seeming to be checking my temperature. His touch gave me butterflies until, I remembered.

"You’re the guy from this morning. The one that saved me from DJ," I had replied, only thinking of the blood spilling from each opponent. Both mixtures of it gave off a tangy scent from the deep red sidewalk. It must be covered in it. I turn around on his couch to look out the curtains wondering how far we are from the deadly site, hoping I don’t get nauseous again.

"Yes. My name is Mason, and as you are probably noticing, we are at my home for the time being. I thought you would rather me carry you here than to leave you on the sidewalk like a dead body. Now, after explaining myself, might I get to know the pretty girls name, to whom I rescued?" His voice sounded so masculine, yet so sweet.

"Sabrina. Sabrina Miltons, seventeen, and taken. Just in case you’re wondering," I added as I started to stand up. I, then, felt the world spinning all at once and collapsed back onto his couch. I didn't realize the headache I had until then. I started to get comfortable on the couch with the knowledge that I'm going to be on it for a little bit longer. Leaning up, I tried to look at the clock, but my vision was still blurry. Now that I look back at my childhood, I think I should've eaten my carrots instead of hiding them in my napkin.

"Well I wasn't wondering, but thank you and just so you know, I'm Mason Gilbert, nineteen, and single; just in case you were wondering," he said with a wink. "Also, you need to lie down for a bit longer and try not to strain yourself too much. Most girls who faint push themselves too much when they wake up that they faint again, so if you need anything just ask and I'll gladly serve you."

"Hmm. My own servant? I could get used to this. Well could you get me some water, Mr. Butler?" I couldn't help but grin when saying that. It just came naturally, but just like that, I watched as he walked away. I hope I hadn't been rude or insulted him. I feel so guilty now. I still haven't apologized for him saving me today. Maybe I'm just pushing my luck. Getting up, I walk in the direction he walked away to and all of a sudden, crash! I heard the sound of glass breaking and water splashed everywhere. His now empty hands forming a fist and I become more scared as I watch. "I'm so sorry. I'll clean everything up, I promise,” I say getting the nearest towel sitting on the dining room chair next to us, then, start patting him down as if the water on his bare chest would magically disappear all of a sudden.

"It's fine," he replied. "I should've watched where I was going," he added, now looking directly into my eyes. His beautiful crystal blue eyes, hypnotizing yet so intriguing. I felt as though I was in a trance as I started to move closer to him until we were right against each other. As he wrapped his arms around my waist, I dropped the damp rag from my hands and placed my hands on his chest, leaning into him for a kiss. Just a peck, but it made a huge difference. I wanted more and just before I got it, he dropped his arms from my waist and backed up.

"We should probably get this cleaned up first, before anything happens." He said it so calmly like the kiss didn't mean anything to him, but I could've sworn I felt a spark. I can't believe that I just thought that! Me, the person who doesn't like to settle down, just thought she felt sparks with a guy. I must be hallucinating.

"Yea, we should," I said only thinking of how close I was to getting what I wanted. I, then, bent down to pick up the fallen glass and noticed red on one of them and a spot of red on the floor. When he knelt down next to me, I could see a band aid on his hand that wasn't on his hand earlier. Had the glass cut his hand? Feeling even guiltier now than before, I stand up and go to the nearest pantry in search of a dust pan and broom to sweep this up, so he doesn't get injured further. In success, I bring it over and, as he backs up, I sweep up the rest of mess I had made.

This day couldn't get any worse. Oh, but it did. When throwing the small sharp objects away, he went straight into a room down the hall to most likely avoid me. I hate it when I'm clumsy, but this is the worst it's ever been. Why am I acting this way? Am I just clumsy around strangers, incredibly hot and attractive strangers? No! I was still with Andrew. Well I think I'm with Andrew. Digging into my pocket, I look for my cell phone to call Betty. Dead, just great.

I don't know what to do. I'm alone here in his house. Should I just leave or does he want me to stay? I decide to head toward the room he went into. I knocked on the door. No answer. I turn the knob and call out, "Mason? You in here?" Walking in, I saw Mason leaving the bathroom sliding a t-shirt over his head.

"What are you doing in my room?!" His shouting even scared the dog lying on his bed.

"I'm sorry! I was just wondering... Never mind I'll just leave," I said tearing up as I started to leave. All I hear is a sigh before he grabs my wrist.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled. It's just been rough and ended up letting it out on you," Mason replied with true sympathy. I almost wrapped my arms around him and hugged him, but that probably wouldn't have been the best thing I've done. He just needed a peaceful environment.

"I shouldn't have just came barging in. I should've just waited for you to come out," I said as I made another mistake. Looking into his eyes, his beautiful ocean blue eyes.

"Well I shouldn't have gotten mad like that. It was very cruel of me," he said in almost a whisper as he slowly got closer.

My attention went from him straight to the living room as I heard a knock at the door. We shared one last look before we went into the living room and answered the door. I felt myself jump as I looked at who was at the door. It was Andrew!

"Hey Mace. You ready to hang..." Those were the only words he said as Andrew finally looked in my direction. "So is this why you didn't say 'Yes' last night? I figured you were that kind of person," he said in my direction. "And with you of all people! I thought we were pals," now talking to Mason. How did Andrew know Mason?

Not knowing what to do I panicked and said, "This isn't what you think." Big mistake!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.