The Tide

Author's note: I started writing this book six years ago, when I was thirteen and I finished it two years ago....  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I started writing this book six years ago, when I was thirteen and I finished it two years ago. This book means a lot to me because it's so relatable. People can relate to at least one of the situations in the book because we've all experienced Teenage life. It isn't easy. It's got all sorts of ups and downs. Jamie, to me, almost represents most Teenage girls who have to endure pressure from family, untrustworthy friends, boys. I wrote this for girls all around the world. Whatever you're going through. Just know that you aren't alone :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Prologue

My older sister, Trisha, has a ‘philosophy’ of her own regarding life.

“You know,” she says. “Life is like learning how to swim in an ocean. You are tossed and turned by the waves over and over again. When life’s really rough, it’s like you’ve been overwhelmed by a giant tide. In those times, you don’t know up from down. You’re gasping for breath, confused, and trying to swim to the surface but you keep getting knocked down by the waves. Basically, life’s got you down and it’s keeping you down. You have two choices in a time like that. You can give up and let the tide swallow you whole, or you can keep fighting. Keep swimming. You will reach the surface eventually. In life, you’ll experience a lot of tides. High, low, rough, all sorts of tides! But if you keep swimming, you’ll swim through that tide and soon you’ll reach what you’re swimming for! You’ll be able to enjoy the ocean around you.”
It’s a confusing umm ‘philosophy’; but I get it.
In my life, I’ve been swimming and swimming, but every time I think I’m making progress, a tide comes and overwhelms me. I haven’t been fighting the tides. I’ve given up all the time and I've lost myself in the ocean. What I need to do is to stop drowning and start swimming again. I need to reach for the surface.
I know that I need to fight. I know that I need to forget about the tides and carry on swimming. I need to stop letting life bring me down with its challenges. I have to break the grasp life’s troubles has over me.
If I know what I have to do...why am I still drowning?
Why am I still being tossed and turned by the ocean?
So many questions and not a single answer.
It’s time for me to find answers to these questions. It’s time for me to remember how to swim. It’s time for me to reach the surface.
It’s not going to be easy, though.
But if I don’t start now, when will I?
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

ShadowOnMyHeart said...
I like it. But I don't like the fact that we are stuck wondering what happened with Ami and Lance. I was thinking the whole time, who is this Lance kid!?