In His Eyes | Teen Ink

In His Eyes

By Writer1 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
Writer1 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections." -Unknown

Author's note: This was originally supposed to be a short story for a classmate of mine, but as I began to write the story stretched out. This story refused to let me give up on it. It practically wrote itself, I just did the typing.

I should have been angry. Angry at my father for having the affair. Angry at my mother for breaking and abandoning me. Angry at myself for not being a good enough daughter. But instead I just felt hollow. Frail as the fallen leaves outside my window. I was coming closer everyday to giving up on life like my mother. I had already given up on the idea of life and had stopped hoping that things would ever get better. How much farther did I have to fall?
On the first day after winter break I drove to school in my old Chevy wearing a tattered,faded pair of jeans, a ratty T-shirt, and no makeup. A far cry from my usual off-the-runway-cute look. I angled my mirror so I could my raw face. I noticed my eyes had dark circles around them. As soon as I walked into homeroom my friends were at my side. Hope was a tall girl with a spunky spirit and a positive attitude. Gabrielle was also tall. She was very smart, but also quiet and shy. “Alaina! Hey, I’m so sorry about what happened! I just can’t believe it! Your parents always seemed so happy! Are you okay? You look terrible! Well, not terrible but-”Gabrielle interrupted Hope. “What she means to say is she’s sorry about what happened. I am to.” I gulped and nodded. This was defiantly not what I wanted to talk about. Gabrielle, sensing this, changed the subject. “Come on. We still have fifteen minutes before the first bell. You don’t think we’re going to let you go through the first day after winter break looking like that, do you?” “I brought my hair straightener and makeup kit. Gabrielle brought this super cute J. Crew outfit that should fit you.” Hope cut in. Fifteen minutes later I was officially photo shoot ready with my fresh makeup job that makes my olive skin look smooth and brown eyes sparkle. My hair fell over my shoulders in a glossy, black curtain. I was wearing a peach colored dress with a gray wool sweater and boots that plays up my hourglass figure. Outside I looked fantastic but inside I was still torn apart.

My first class of the day is Language Arts. My friends and I take our usual seats in the back of the room. I see Hope pull out our mandatory essay we were supposed to write over break. Gabrielle pulls out that plus three extra credit essays. I have nothing to pull out. “Crap.” I mutter. Some teachers might go easy on me because of what happened with my parents, news travels fast in a small town like Wedgewood, but Mrs. Runtsworth wasn’t exactly the compassionate type. Gabrielle shot me a sympathetic glance. Mrs. Runtsworth stepped into the room just then, but she didn’t start her ‘now breaks over time to work’ speech like we all expect her to. Instead she says “We have a new student transferring to Wedgewood High.” Everyone straightened in their chairs. A new student? We hadn’t had a new student in Wedgewood since the sixth grade. “Class this is Justin. I expect you’ll be a friend to him and show him the ropes. Justin please come in.” In walked a tall boy with olive skin, longish, raven black hair and chocolate brown eyes. “Look at that hunkaroni with a side of baloni.” Hope whispered. I smiled and was about to agree when I caught myself. No crushes, Alaina. Don’t even think about it. Up at the front of the room Justin was saying “We moved from Colorado, my dad and I, because of his work.” His voice is velvety smooth, like music to my-Alaina, stop it! Mrs. Runtsworth nodded in approval of his introduction and motioned for him to take a seat. So he sat in the last empty desk. Right in front of me. “Now class the holidays are over and….” I tried to pay attention to Mrs. R’s lecture. I really did. But Justin kept distracting me. His every movement drew my attention. I was transfixed by the way his shoulders rose and fell with each breathe. The bell rang and jolted me out of my trance. I realized I had no idea what Mrs. R. had talked about or what the homework was.
The rest of the day was slow. I could have sworn all the clocks were moving backwards. Finally, though, I escaped into the crisp afternoon air with only a minimal amount of homework. As relieved as I was to be out of school I dreaded going home. There I couldn’t hide from what happened, reminders lurked in every corner. The unpaid bills that continued to pile up on our kitchen counter. The picture frames which showed a happy family that no longer existed. And that broken women with hollow eyes huddled on the coach. “Hey mom!” I called, “I’m home!” She didn’t reply. I knew she wouldn’t. Instead she continued to stare at the T.V. No emotion flickered across her face, she might as well have been made of wax. I ran upstairs, slammed my bedroom door, and sunk to the floor.

January became February. My mother showed no sign of improvement. My father still hadn’t in any way tried to contact us. I was still…hollow. My language grade had dropped to a C-. It might as well have been called Justin Arts because I spent most of class with my eyes glued to him. He was just so….intriguing. And mysterious. I never saw him take any notes, but he maintained straight A’s. He rarely spoke but when he did he would sum up a speech in a few words. He didn’t have any friends but he was considered cool. He was kind to everyone, even the nerds, but no one messed with him. Justin seemed to have a hard edge under his kindness that kept people from coming to close. All the girls loved him, but Justin didn’t react to any form of flirting, or in some cases, mauling. Slowly the girls gave up on the hunt and looked for new prey.
One Friday after school Hope, Gabrielle, and I decided to go to Crazy Joe’s, a popular after school hangout/pizza joint. As soon as I walked in I swear I sensed him, Justin, sitting alone in a corner booth. He looked up at me and I quickly forced my eyes away. They landed on a much less welcome sight. There was my dad and Victoria sitting together, laughing. He seemed so carefree, without any thought of his old family. My stomach heaved. Suddenly I needed to get out. Fast. “Hey, are you okay?” Gabrielle asked, sounding concerned. “Yes-no-yes. I just need some fresh air.” At first she looked confused but then she followed my line of vision and spotted them. I saw her eyes widen. “Alaina wait-” I didn’t hear the rest because I was already out the door. I ran a couple of blocks before collapsing in an old, empty alley. My harsh sobs are the only sounds to be heard. At least until someone said “Are you alright?” I quickly looked up. It was Justin. Averting my eyes I quickly wiped away my tears. Oh jeez, I must look like a mess, I thought. “Yeah I’m…fine.” I said, unconvincingly. He looked over me in disbelief. Then he kneeled beside me. “Do you want to talk about it?” “No-yes-no. I’m okay, really, it’s just…” “That man, he was your father I assume, and the woman was his mistress?” Now it’s my turn to look disbelieving. He shrugged apologetically. “News travels fast in Wedgewood.” Slowly I nodded. “That must be hard, seeing them like that. You must feel like you’re dad doesn’t care about you anymore and your second place to that woman. You must feel like you were an inadequate daughter and that’s why he left.” Bam! In three sentences this boy I barely knew had summed all my grievances. “Y-yeah. You’re exactly right.” “You can’t blame yourself. His choices weren’t because of you. You can’t blame yourself for his mistakes.” A lump formed in my throat. More tears began to spill. Not again! Quickly I wiped them away. “Are you sure you’re okay?” He had a look of genuine concern on his face. “Yes. I’m fine now. Thanks.” I was more than fine actually. I was like a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders, a weight I didn’t even know I’d been carrying. “Come on.” Justin said. “I’ll walk you back to Crazy Joe’s.” We walked back in silence. As soon as we approached the restaurant my friends burst out. “Alaina we were so-” “Worried! Where did you-” “Are you okay?” They finished their proclamations partly because they were out breath and partly because they noticed Justin. “I’m fine, guys. Really.” Their eyes swiveled back and forth between the two of us. “Hello.” Said Justin. “Er- hi,” said Hope. For a moment were enveloped in awkward silence. “So, um, I think I’ll take the bus home guys. I don’t think I can…I lost my appetite.” “No, no we’ll drive you.” They said together. “It’s fine. Go enjoy you’re pizza.” They looked at me doubtfully. “Really, it’s fine.” “You don’t have to take the bus.” Justin said. “I’ll drive you.” If my friends eyes popped before, now they nearly fell out of their heads. Gabrielle snuck me a quick ‘do you want to drive with him?’ glance. I gave her a subtle nod, yes. “Well I think that sounds good.” She said. “Okay then.” said Justin. For a moment we all stood there in awkward silence. “Well, um, bye.” said Hope. “I’ll talk to you later.” said Gabrielle, with a meaningful look. Then they walked inside and left Justin and I alone. “So, where did you park?” I asked. “Right here.” He indicated the large black Hummer parked right in front of us. “A Hummer? Seriously?” Ok, I’ll admit for a second I was really jealous. He got a Hummer while I was stuck with a beat up Chevy that was older than my grandfather. Then I realized how childish that was and forced my jealous feelings away. He opened the passenger door for me like a true gentlemen and closed it after I hopped in. He started the car and carefully backed out. “Where do you live?” “I live near the school. Take the I 15.” He turned onto the road. Both of us were silent, absorbed in our own thoughts. “So, what do your parents do for a living?” I finally asked. My mom committed suicide when I was six so it’s just my dad and I. My dad works in construction.” I was stunned. “Oh… I’m sorry.” “It’s fine.” Silence again. “Just you and your dad, huh? No siblings?” Justin suddenly had a stricken expression on his face. “I used to have a twin brother.” Embarrassment and guilt washed over me. Does everything I say to this guy have to end with my foot in my mouth? “Turn left here. Then make a right. It’s the blue house on the corner, yup this is the one.” We rolled to a stop in front of my house. “Um, well, thanks again for taking me home. Um, well bye.” I got out of the car and began walking up my driveway. Great, just great. I thought. I totally blew it with Justin. Just as I reached my front door I heard my name. “Alaina!” I whirled around. “Yes Justin?” “I’ll see you at school right?” I smiled. “Right.” He grinned and drove off. I waited until I was sure that he couldn’t see me in his rearview mirror and then pumped my fist in the air with joy.

The next months are a wonderful time. Mom started talking again and actually got a job. Dad and I emailed regularly. Gabrielle, Hope, and I were closer than ever. And Justin was starting to become a bit more than a friend. After that day he drove me home he began sitting with my friends and I at lunch. We would talk on the phone for hours every night after school and often would grab a burger or a movie together. But we weren’t dating. Officially, anyway. Justin and I weren’t the only ones getting close. Hope had met a guy named Francis and the two of them had been going steady since March. Gabrielle was content having a relationship with her school books. Thoughts of romance seemed to buzz through the air partly because of the Girls Choice end of the year dance. The end of the year dance. I wanted to ask Justin but …. What if he said no. I talked to Hope about it in P.E. “You have to ask him!” she said. “But, what if he turns me down?” “Who cares?” she said while flinging her basketball at the backboard. “Besides why wouldn’t he say yes? He is totally head over heels in love with you.” I felt my face turn scarlet. “He is not.” Hope rolled her eyes “He totally is. Now you are going to ask him, right?” I sighed. “Yeah, I guess.” Hope nodded in approval and swished her next shot.
I kept trying to find the right time to ask Justin. But every time I opened my mouth I choked on the words rather than saying them. I was becoming more and more desperate for things to move out of the ‘just friends’ range. Am I the only who feels this way? Am I delusional or does Justin act like I’m something more as well? If so, why doesn’t he make it official? Every night I tortured myself with these questions, but never got any answers.
A few days later I got a weird text. Meet me at Crazy Joes @ 7 tnight. –Justin. It was weird because it had come from an unknown number. Had Justin gotten a new phone? I shrugged and threw on a fresh pair of jeans and a clean, blue top. A half an hour later I hopped in my Chevy and drove to Crazy Joe’s. As soon as I walked in I saw him sitting in one of the front booths, talking to a waitress. He looked different somehow, but I couldn’t put a finger on the exact reason. “Hey! There you are! Where’ve you been, girlie?” I was stunned. Girlie? Slowly I walked over to him. “Come here, darling!” He pulled me over to him and squeezed me in a tight, over the shoulder embrace. I inched away. “Justin, are you okay?” He belched loudly. “I’m fine. Just fine. Better than fine, actually.” He said with a smile. “Oookay? Are you sure? Because you sound drunk.” “Why would you care if I was drunk? Are you my mother or something? Get off my back, woman.” I recoiled as if I’d been slapped. The pain is my heart must have shown on my face because he said, “What? Too sensitive to take a hit? Well you had better get used to it because this is the real me. Yeah, that’s right! I’m done playing Mr. Gentleman for you and if you can’t take it you’d better get lost!” Anger boiled in my veins. He had been playing me all along. I stood up and slammed my fist on the table. “Fine! Forget you Justin because if the real you is this self loathing, inconsiderate, pig of a man I want nothing to do with you!” I managed to walk three steps before rage got the better of me again and I turned back. I walked back to the table and grabbed his soda. Almost in slow motion I watched as the soda went from the cup in my hand to his face. He gasped in shock. “You little witch. You’re going to pay for that. It isn’t just war with him now but you to! You hear me!” Fear seized my heart and I ran back to my car. My shaking hands struggled to put my key in the ignition, but once the car started I lost no time speeding down the road. What did he mean by ‘it’s not just war with him now but you to’? I didn’t know but I did know one thing. I had seen a look of utter hate and cold rage in his eyes tonight. They were the eyes of killer, of someone who would get revenge in any way necessary. And I was his target.
All of that night I alternated between sobbing from sorrow and shaking from fear. I jumped at every little noise and slept with the light on. I hadn’t told my mom about what happened because I didn’t want to worry her. She was getting better, but she still very sensitive and fragile. I dreaded school the next day. I kept glancing in my rearview mirror every few seconds on the way there. But there were no problems. When I arrived I quickly ran to my friend’s sides and stayed there. Then, he arrived. He gave a small smile and waved at me when he walked in. I looked away. Both he and my friends looked surprised. He came over. “What is it?” I looked up at him. “Stay away from me.” Hurt flickered across his face. “What is it? What did I do?” I laughed. A pitiful sound. “Don’t pretend you don’t know! Don’t pretend you don’t remember what happened at Crazy Joe’s! Don’t you dare come near me! Stay away!” At first he looked confused but then comprehension came to his face. His shoulders drooped. “Okay.” He said in a low, defeated voice. “I will.” And then he turned his back and walked away.

Hope and Gabrielle were shocked. I was to. Where had that kind, sweet boy who revived me in a time of need gone? My chest felt like it was weighed down by hundreds of pounds. I thought I loved him, I thought. And I thought he loved me back. Now I saw how foolish I had been. Justin had so far stayed away. I hadn’t spoken to or even looked too closely at him in weeks. The days became quiet blurs of homework and heartbreak. Until one day when I sitting at my desk, working on my geography essay, when a large rock came hurling through my window. I jumped and ran over to it. Through the small, fist sized hole I saw a large, red truck outside my house. There was no mistaking the driver. Justin. He grinned at me, revved his engine, and sped away. For a moment I just stood there, shell shocked. Then I slowly turned and knelt down to examine the rock. Tied to it was a note. With trembling hands I untied it. This is nothing compared to what’s next. Beware! I gasped and started shaking all over. This doesn’t make any sense, I thought, Justin doesn’t drive a red truck and that day the text came from an unknown phone number….Suddenly my mind flashed back to that day so long ago when I had been driving home with Justin…
“Just you and your dad, huh? No siblings?” Justin suddenly had a stricken expression on his face. “I used to have a twin brother.” I gasped again. No, that didn’t make any sense….yet the more I thought about it, it did. The unknown number and different car and Justin acting weird and that moment of sad clarity on his face…. “Oh my!” I whispered. But there was only one way to know for sure. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and dialed his number. “Hello? Alaina?” He said from the other end. “Justin!” I said breathlessly. “I need to talk to you. Now! You or not you or…I don’t know has been stalking me and he just threw a rock through my window telling me to beware and…” “Where are you?” His voice was serious. “I-I’m in my house, my room.” “I’ll be there in ten minutes. Stay put, okay. I’ll get there as fast as I can.” The line went dead. He’s coming here, I thought, he’s coming here and I’m all alone. Can I trust him? Should I? I didn’t move. Eight minutes later I heard an engine outside. I looked out the window and saw a black hummer pull up. I hurried downstairs. The doorbell rang. I hesitated only a second before opening it. “Come in.” He stepped inside. “Are you alright?” He said immediately. “Did he hurt you?” I shut the door. “No. Not physically, anyway. Justin, what’s happening? Tell me the truth.” He sighed. “You might want to sit down.” “I’ll stand.” He sighed again. “Now. Justin.” I said through gritted teeth. All the terror and confusion had greatly shortened my patience. “The boy who’s been harassing you is named Dustin. And yes, he is my twin brother.” “But why-” “You might want to let me finish my tale. All your questions should be answered.” He interrupted, though not unkindly. I shut my mouth and he continued, “We used to be very close. We were best friends. But then Justin met Mary. She had always lived across the street from us but we had never really paid any attention to her. Then, though, soon after they met they started dating. He really, truly loved her. I thought she loved him to, but then, one day we were at a party. Some nuthead had snuck in some beer and a lot of us were drunk. Mary was one of the kids who was wasted. When Dustin went to go get something from the hall she threw herself on me. I told her to get off and walked away. She was outraged. She followed me into the street, yelling like a maniac. I got in my car and began to drive away but then she….but then Mary jumped in front of the car and I hit her.”His voice became a whisper. “I hit her and killed her. Dustin was heartbroken. When I tried to explain he thought I was lying and he just went…..crazy. He ran off into the night and yelled that he would get his revenge. And he has. He has ruined every single relationship of mine ever since. That’s why I tried not to get to close to you.” “B-but wouldn’t the police or somebody stop him?” “We’ve tried to get him arrested but he’s too clever. No one can ever get close enough to cuff him.” I was completely and wholeheartedly shocked. “This is the first he’s ever threatened to really hurt someone, though.” Justin continued. “Do you have any idea why he specifically has it in for you?” Slowly I told him about the incident at Crazy Joe’s. “I was so stupid for losing my temper like that.” I finished. Justin shook his head. “I’m so sorry that happened to you and you weren’t stupid. You had every right to do what you did!” I walked over to the coach and sat down, pulling my knees up to my chest. “What now?” I whispered. “If the police can’t catch him then what chance do I have? He’s going to kill me.” “No. Never.” said Justin. “But how will I even tell you apart! If I saw you on the street I wouldn’t be able to know….” “Look at me.” He said with unusual severity. I looked up. “Look into my eyes.” I obeyed and was surprised at what I saw. I saw raw, passionate love in those eyes. Love for me? “All you have to do is look in our eyes to tell us apart. All you have to do is look in my eyes to know it’s really me.”
Justin didn’t leave until my mom came home. She was surprised to see him, but not angry considering she thought we were still buds all this time. It wasn’t until after dinner when she mentioned his visit. “How long was Justin here earlier, Alaina?” I paused. “Oh, only a half an hour or so. We were just comparing science notes.” Mom raised an eyebrow. “Science notes, huh?” Okay, I was thrilled mom was better and everything but I had to admit, having a mom who was totally zoned out did have its benefits. “Yes mom. Just comparing science notes.” Mom nodded but the suspicious look didn’t leave her features. Wait till she finds out about the broken window, I thought.

The next few days were quiet. There was no sign of Dustin anywhere. Justin and his father had alerted the local police, but they had no leads either. At school Justin continued to keep his distance. He thought it was safer for me if Dustin thought we were still enemies and I didn’t know the truth. Honestly, I would of preferred if he stayed by my side day and night. Not just so he could protect me….Finals were rapidly approaching. I was so swarmed with homework I almost didn’t have any time to be scared out of my wits. Almost. Mabey it’s the quiet, I thought, it’s like the eerie quiet before a tornado. One minute the world’s quiet and the next everything is thrown into chaos. I kept waiting for the chaos. The one thing that gave me the strength to carry on each day was Justin. He became my rock, my support, my lifeline. Every day he came to my place afterschool and would leave just before mom got home. We would talk for hours about everything from school, to Dustin, to our favorite bands. I found myself sharing more secrets with him than with my closest girlfriends. And he was opening to me, completely discarding that tough outer shell he wore before. When he wasn’t with me I felt like I had lost a part of myself. I remember one night I told him about this. “I feel the same way.” He said. “Except when you’re gone I’m missing my most vital organ because I leave my heart with you.” If that doesn’t bring tears to your eyes I don’t know what will. Then he leaned in a kissed me gently. I closed my eyes and imprinted this moment to memory. No matter what tomorrow brings at least I’ll have Justin.
Tomorrow, in fact, brought the summer dance. “So, are you going?” Asked Hope. I mentally smacked my forehead. I had completely forgotten. “No, I’m just going to stay home. Study.” Hope frowned. “Oh, come on! You’re starting to sound like Gabrielle! And at least she’s coming! Oh, Alaina, you have to come! Please! You won’t be the only one without a date, you know.” Hope made a ridiculous puppy dog face and clapped her hands together. “Please! Pretty, pretty, please with hot fudge and sprinkles!” I laughed. “First of all I prefer caramel and nuts. And second of all I need to check with my mom.” Hope smiled. “But you’ll ask?” “Yes, I’ll ask. No guaranties.”Hope grinned again and skipped off to second period. I sighed and pulled out my phone. Hey mom can I go to da dance tnght? Hpe and Gabrlle wll b thr. A few minutes later I got her reply. Sure but be home by ten and don’t wear anything to revealing. B safe. Luv u. Quickly I wrote back: luv u 2. Now I had one more person to ask. Hey Justn, hpe was beggn me to cme to da dance tnight. Is it sfe or shld I sty home? He replied quickly as well. It shld b fine but tke ur phone. Ill b thr to 2 keep an eye on u. I smiled. My own knight in shining armor. Thxs. Luv u. I heard a noise from the other end of the hall. I looked up to see him smiling at me. My phone buzzed. Luv u 2.
I decided to wear a beautiful mint green dress with a ruffled, lace bottom and snug fitting top to the dance. With it I wore a pearl necklace, flesh colored heals, and my hair up in a curly bun. I spent over an hour getting ready in an effort to look nice for Justin. Finally, I adjusted my hair one last time, threw on one last dab of lipstick, and was out the door. Hope and Gabrielle looked gorgeous as well. Hope was wearing her hair down and had flattened it to be wrought iron straight. She wore a long, white dress with blue accents that made her resemble and angle. Francis was in awe of her beauty. The boy was practically drooling. Gabrielle also wore her hair down, but in curls. Her dress was sleek and light pink with a very small train on the bottom. More than one guy gave her a double-check. From across the room I saw Justin staring at me. He looked handsome in a baby blue suit and tie. He saw me staring at him and smiled. I smiled back. “Earth to Alaina!” said Hope, shaking my shoulder. “Let’s dance!” The four of us swayed along to several songs before finally sitting down to rest. “My feet are killing me.” Complained Gabrielle. “Yeah, no kidding. Do you want to go and take them off for a spell in the ladies room? It’s probably time for a make-up check to.” Hope was laughing at the punch table with Francis so we decided not to disturb her. Together we walked down the hall to the restroom. As soon as we were in Gabrielle tore off her shoes. She sighed with relief. “Much better.” I was about to do the same when I heard the door open and close. “Who’s there? Hope?” I called. But it wasn’t Hope. It was Dustin.
Gabrielle didn’t have a chance to scream. Dustin shocked her unconscious as soon as he walked in. He had a teaser. I was about to scream to when he shoved me against the wall and clamped his hand over my mouth. “Hello again, dear.” I looked up and saw the hatred in his eyes. His eyes were the last things I saw before the pain hit and the world faded away.

Everything hurt. I was in a black place, a dark place, where everything hurt. I wanted to wake up but I couldn’t penetrate the darkness. Wake up, I thought, wake up, wake up, wake up….
My eyes opened. Bright, blinding hit me. I shut my eyes again. Darkness. I repeated this process several times before my eyes opened for good. I was in a shabby room with gray walls and an old, dirty carpet that smelled like mildew. I was sitting in a chair. My arms were bound behind me and my legs were bound to the chairs legs. There was a gag in my mouth. The reality of my situation hit me like a ton of bricks. I’m a sitting duck for Dustin. He’s finally going to get his revenge. Pure terror seized my heart. For several minutes I couldn’t breathe. Calm down, Alaina. Justin will come. Justin will save you. But how long would it take him to realize I was missing and find me? What would he find? Alaina, worrying isn’t going to help you. Stay calm and think. Wait for an opportunity to escape and take it. “Ah, awake are you?” There stood Dustin, smirking at me in the doorway. I rolled back my head and glared at him. “Feisty huh?” He chuckled. “I respect that. So, how do you like the place? I decorated just for you.” My fingernails dug into my palms. Justin, Justin, where are you? He stepped closer to me. “Do you like the gag?” I shook my head. “No? Well how about I cut you a deal, then? You agree to keep your yap shut and I take it off. No one would hear if you screamed anyway and I’m afraid my nerves can’t handle that type of racket. Do you accept my generous offer?” I nodded. He stepped around me and untied the gag. I inhaled deeply. Then I said, “What is your problem? Why couldn’t you just leave me alone? Why can’t you leave Justin alone?” His face became stone like. “Justin is a filthy murderer who deserves everything he’s gotten. And you are my key to silencing him once and for all.” I frowned. “What?” I whispered. He pulled my phone out of his pocket. He pressed a few buttons and then held the screen up to my face.
Messages sent: To Justin at 9:01p.m.-
Justin, dustin has me at 1901 East Burke ave. pls help me I havnt gt much time cme qckly no tme to gt help hlp me!
Dustin had set a trap. Tears pooled in my eyes. Justin was going to come, I knew he would. And Dustin would be ready for him. But, mabey, Justin could win a fight…As if he knew what I was thinking Dustin pulled out a small, black handgun. Now the tears spilled over. “Aw, don’t cry.” said Dustin in mock sympathy. “At least you’ll be together.” I did my best to wipe away my tears on my shoulder. And then we waited, each of us praying for different things. I prayed Justin wouldn’t come. That he would go and be safe somewhere else, even though it broke my heart. Dustin was no doubt praying that his brother would come and he would get to stop his heart with one bullet. I flashed back to that day in my room…
“I feel the same way.” He said. “Except when you’re gone I’m missing my most vital organ because I leave my heart with you.” But his heart wasn’t with me. It was in his chest. And if Dustin had his way it wouldn’t be beating much longer.
Time had no meaning. It could have been minutes. It could have been hours. I had no idea how long it had been when it happened. “Dustin! Dustin! I know you’re here! Let her go Dustin!” Justin! My heart lept from happiness and fright. Dustin smiled at me and ran into the other room. “JUSTIN! NO! IT’S A TRAP HE HAS A-” “Ssshhh. Alaina, be quiet.”I quickly looked up. “Justin? Justin it’s you!” Indeed he stood in the doorway before me. He turned around and shut the door. Then he walked over to me and quickly cut my bindings with a pocket knife. I lost no time throwing my arms around him. He let go of me, grabbed the chair, and slid under the door handle. “That should keep him out for a bit.” “Justin! I’m so glad to see you… but how did you-?” I put a walky talky in the other room and turned it up to full volume. Then I whispered the words into this one from over here.” I smiled. He grabbed me into a tight embrace again. “It’s alright. I’m going to get you out of here.” I nodded. We let go of each other. He walked over to inspect the room’s only window. He frowned at it and shook his head. “To small. We’re going to have to-” “GET OUT HERE JUSTIN! FACE ME LIKE A MAN! I KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE!” Dustin was right outside the door. I whimpered, beside myself from fear. “Alaina, get behind that desk over there. Now! Stay down, no matter what!” I hurried to obey his instructions. The door started shaking. Dustin was trying to kick it down. BAM! BAM! BAM! He shot the door several times in an attempt to get it open. Finally, with one final BAM! It fell down with a thud. I didn’t dare raise my head but I heard several gunshots and the brothers yelling at each other. “YOU KILLED HER! YOU DESERVE TO DIE!” “IT WAS AN ACCIDENT! I NEVER MEAN’T TO HURT YOU! PLEASE! IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY! I WANT TO HELP YOU!” “I. DON’T. NEED. HELP!” I heard another loud grunt, a crash, and then a gunshot. Then silence. “Alaina?” Slowly, timidly I raised my head. I felt my eyes widen at the scene before me. The room was in shambles, with broken bits of furniture and plaster everywhere. On the floor lay a dead boy. A dead boy with long black hair, dark eyes, and olive skin. In front of me stood a living boy with long black hair, dark eyes, and olive skin. But the dead boy had eyes filled with hate and longing for his long, lost love. The living boy had kind eyes filled with love for the living girl who stood before him. She smiled and knew he saw her love for him in her eyes as well.

Every night Alaina would gaze out her window at the stars above and think about those days in her youth when she first met Justin, and she would think of everything they had had to overcome. But, she thought, it was those trying times that had really bonded us together. It was those tough times that had brought us together. And so looking back she had no regrets. She was happy.

Hope later married Francis and went on to become a successful fourth grade teacher. She has been voted teacher of the year now three times in a row. Gabrielle later married a business man named Joseph Archer. She is currently preparing to run for President of the United States and stands a good chance of winning. Alaina and Justin married and had three children. She has written several novels, all of which were successful. Justin became a counselor and has recently founded a facility for troubled teens.

on Mar. 31 2012 at 4:05 am
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

great plot line. if you wanted, you could even take the idea and stretch it out into a full length novel.

also, i know when there are twins in the story you want to give them similar names, but just make sure to don't mix them up.

but great story! i loved every minute of it! :)

Ky. Oma said...
Very well written story...I was captivated.