love through time | Teen Ink

love through time

By vetlover21 SILVER, Bronx, New York
vetlover21 SILVER, Bronx, New York

"changeing for pople doesn\\\'t make you friends for life, staying yourslef does."

My name is Belle Dreams and my family went through war. In my family I have one sister named Silver who is one year younger than me and brother named Brackston who is older by three years. I’m fifteen. When news of a revolution against England reached my village it brought out sides of people that I had never seen. So many went to war, some for England and some for the land we know as America. Now my family didn’t want any part of the war; yes we wanted to be free from the wrath of England but we also wanted to live. We did do our part to help but that will all be explained. Now if I want to tell this story correctly I need to start from the beginning. Now our story begins during the early part of the war.

It all started one morning when the rooster crowed. It was Sunday, and that meant church. Ma called for us all to get up. Silver and I woke up and got dressed. I never understood why young girls had to wear so many under garments. My sister and I each had four petticoats and still a pair of bloomers to go under. We had to put on our nice clothes, so that meant I had to wear my pretty blue cotton dress and Silver had to wear her pink cotton dress. We each had a pair of shiny black shoes and a white hat.

Silver and I went down for breakfast. My older brother Brackston came only a minute later. Ma had made fresh eggs and toast with berries on top. Pa came in as we were eating wearing his farming clothes. My pa was a carpenter but like many people we owned a barn filled with cows, chickens, and horses.

When pa came down and had a bit of breakfast he hitched the horses to the wagon and we headed to church. When we got there the service hadn’t started and people were standing outside talking to each other. Kids were running around while there mothers told them to sit still so they wouldn’t ruin there clothes and adults were talking about business or about something to do with England and there taxes. My parents were busy talking to the Feldmans, Brackston went over to talk to there oldest son, and Silver went over to talk to Louise the Walker’s daughter. My best friend Roger came over to me and asked if I would enjoy a pleasant walk before the service. He took my hand and we walked around the church where there was a nice river and we sat on the grass.

Roger and I talked about how school was going and what things were going on around in the town. Then Roger mentioned the church and how very soon there was going to be wedding. It turns out that Carol Rosewood and Tucker Freedmen were engaged and were to have the ceremony next Sunday. Then Roger told me that he hoped soon there would be news of another wedding. I inquired about the next couple that would jump the broom. He turned to me and said that he hoped one day soon it would be us. Roger and I had been the best of friends since we were babies. Our mothers use to watch us together when we were little because our father were at work and the children were at school, so they did there daily chores and kept an eye on us. Last year though we spent so much time together and fell in love. We wanted to get married but knew that it wasn’t the right time.

I took my hat, bonnet, and shoes off and lifted my skirts to dip my feet in the cool water. It wasn’t permitted for me to show my ankles but Roger would never tell. Roger came over and stood next me, his shoes were off. He asked me if would want to just wad around in the water for while. I told him that Ma wouldn’t approve of me getting my good clothes wet. He told me then I would just have change out of my good clothes. I laughed and asked him how would do that when home was more than a mile away. He responded that one day in the spring we would play in the water when it was warmer and we were better dressed.

The church bells were ringing signaling that it was time for the service to begin. Roger and I put our shoes back on and walked back around to where everyone was entering the church. We walked in arm in arm and sat in the far back where no one really ever sat. We had sat there for years because no one could ever see us and we could play and whisper with out anyone ever telling us to be quiet. During the service they talked about how one day we would be free of the taxes that Britain has bestowed on us and that as long as we keep our faith everything would be fine and the war would stay away from our home. Though it didn’t and caused so much pain for us. Then they recited some proverbs and then the sermon.

After church was over it was time to head home. My Father came over to me and told me that I need to go in to town and pick up some things for the house and dinner that night. Roger was happy to go with me. My father gave me the list and the money then told me that I shouldn’t dawdle because I had to help with the laundry. When we got to the market it was usual, people shouting for us buy the merchandise, and others being drawn to them and rushing about. I had to go to the baker, and then find some vendors selling fresh herb, chewing tobacco, and then we need to get some bottles. First we went to The Feldman’s bakery. I said hello to Mr. Feldman and asked how his family was. He was a kind man and a talker if you asked him a simple question you would be consumed in a conversation. He told me everything at home was fine and how little Danny had taken his first steps. Then he told me how if England didn’t leave soon they were going to be chased all the way back Britain. I knew he was joking but was sort of hoping he wasn’t, but he continued and wanted to know what was going on with Roger and me. I started to blush. Every one in our town knew about Roger and I because it was a small town and having a well secret was very scarce. Roger just told him that in another year he planned on having a wife. Mr. Feldman gave me a fair price on two loafs of bread. On our way out I told him to say hi to Louis for me.

It was very easy to find the herbs and bottles. The tobacco was a little harder because everybody seemed to be sold out but we finally found a vendor who still had some. He charged more than usual and I didn’t have enough for it but Roger helped me pay. We were supposed to head straight home but Roger said there was something he had to get and would appreciate if I came along. I went with him even though I knew it would make my pa upset that disobeyed him. Roger went up to a vendor shouting that he had nuts, dates, oranges and much more. When he came back he carrying a small pouch filled with different kinds of nuts. He took my arm and told me it was about time that we got home. I didn’t ask any questions but walked down the road with my basket in my arms.

When I got home my dad was in the barn milking the cows. I said hello to him as we passed. He waved and told me that ma was waiting inside. I headed toward the house but I over heard my dad ask if Roger could stay and talk to him. I didn’t catch the rest of the conversation because Silver was running up to me urging me to hurry and help. I handed her the basket and followed her inside. Mother was cleaning clothes in the barrel when I walked in and she told me to go put on my laundry clothes. I headed upstairs and changed in to my old ratty dress which smelled of soap and dye. Before I went back down I looked out my window. I was able to see hills and the river that ran right through them. Then Ma called and it was time to go. Mother told me to go get the pail from Pa in the barn and I could start pouring it in the bottles.

I went out to the barn where he was still talking to Roger. I excused myself and asked for the bucket. Pa then asked me how I liked the idea of him having Roger as an apprentice, if I thought he was trustworthy and hardworking. I picked up the pail and walked toward the door. Before I left I told him that that Roger was one of the most trustworthy people I had ever met and that I knew he would work hard. Pa shook Roger’s hand and told him he started in three days. As I passed Roger he took the pail out of my hands and offered to carry it to the house for me. I told him that it wasn’t that far and I could manage it. Pa told me that it wasn’t right to argue. So I let Roger take the pail to the house.

When we got to the house Roger set the pail in the kitchen and said good day to ma. Before he left he handed me the pouch of nuts he had bought and told me to share them with Silver. I told him I couldn’t take them, especially after he helped pay for the tobacco. He reminded me of what pa had just told me and said that he didn’t spend too much on the tobacco. Then he asked my ma if it would be alright if he came back later to take me riding. My ma told him that would fine if I completed my chores. Roger kissed my hand and left walking down the road to his own house.

The rest of my chores included patching the basket of clothes sitting by the stairs, cleaning the dishes and making two jars of berry jam to sell later that week. After I was done I went to go change out of my cleaning clothes and into my outside clothes, a yellow dress and white bonnet. Silver came in to the room as I finished dressing. She sat down on my bed and we started talking. She told me she thought Roger was nice fellow, especially when compared to those Whipperman boys Nigel and Tristain. Those boys were awful, always messing around in people’s shops and being just repulsive to girls, always trying to push them down and look up their dresses. I got out the nuts I had gotten earlier and dropped a few in her hand. She asked where they had come from and I just told her a friend had given them to me. It was needless to say which.

My pa called for me when Roger was outside. Roger was riding his horse Chestnut. Chestnut was a beautiful horse with big brown eyes, a shiny brown coat, and a smooth black mane. I went in the barn and got my horse Butter Cream. Butter Cream was a white horse with a few yellow stains from the pollen in the air; she had a pretty gray mane and gray eyes. When I was on my horse Pa walked her out of the stable. He told me to back before sunset and to be careful.

As we rode down the road I asked Roger where we were going. He said to the top of the hills. We went through the open trails where our horses could run. We were there in no time. It was wonderful on the hills. The grass was soft and the view was amazing. You could see the whole town from there. We started to remember all of the times we would come up here just to stare out at the town. I reminded Roger of how when we were little we would look out in the opposite direction of the town and just look at the other set hills and how we would imagine what was over them. One day we planed to ride right pass them just to see. Roger and I had a great time sitting there. Roger asked me what I thought about him being my father’s apprentice, if I thought it was a good idea. I looked at him right in his eyes. I told him I thought that no matter who he worked for I would think was a good idea as long as he refused to work at the Whipperman shop. He laughed and said, “Those Whippermans really make you ring, don’t they Belle.”
“Very funny and yes they do,” I replied. Then we both sat there laughing looking at the clouds. Roger took my hand told me that one day we would have our own son and we would make sure he didn’t turn out like Nigel or Tristain. I looked at him and asked when it would be a good idea to ask my parents. He replied just a few months more when he would have enough money to support a family.

We sat there for a while when we heard drum beats from a distance. We looked out in to the village and we saw a huge group of men in uniform. We grabbed our horses and rode down as fast as possible. When we got back to my home my family was standing out side. I asked pa what was going on and who the men were. Pa explained that was our army. He said that they were the brave souls fighting for our freedom. I asked why they were here and why they wanted to bring the war here to us. Pa told me that they weren’t bringing the war here and they were just here to try and enlist people on there trail to other territory. They looked so cold and many of them weren’t wearing shoes and a few left bloody foot prints in the snow. I clung to Rogers arm. He reassured me that they would be gone soon only a few days to a week or two and then we could get back on with our happy lives and then he whispered in my ear, and we can get back to planning out they rest of our happy lives together.

Days past and what I understood to be the fifth regiment was still sitting outside. They had put up tents and a general had even asked one man if he could use his house as headquarters. When I went in to town I saw that they had even set up a small booth and were trying to encourage people to join the regiment. A few actually did. Mr. Johnson, Mr., Tappermen, and even Mr. Dappers signed up. It was so sad on Sunday because during service even the pastor encouraged those who were strong and brave to go and fight. One day when I was at school I heard a few older boys talking about enlisting. One of the boys I recognized, it was my own brother. I didn’t want to embarrass him in front of his friends but I went right over to him and pulled him right out of the group and gave him a good scolding. I told him that if he ever breathed a word or even tried to enlist I would personally go and tell pa what he was trying to do. Brackston may have been my older brother but he needed to be straightened out at times. I figured he would want it by me in stead of pa. After I finished scolding him he told me that I wasn’t in charge of him and that he could enlist if he wanted to. Then he went back to his friends.

As soon as school was over I grabbed Brackston and Silver and we went home. I wanted to make sure that Brackston didn’t go and get himself in trouble we couldn’t get him out of. When we got home Pa was in side with ma and I told them all about Brackston wanting to enlist. Brackston just told me that I should stay out of a man’s business like a decent young lady. Pa told him that I wasn’t wrong to come and tell them what he was planning on doing and any decent young lady would stay out of a man’s business but always gets involved in family affairs. Brackston just sat down at that.

Ma sent me over to Roger’s house to deliver some eggs and jam they had asked for and she sent Silver to the market for some cloth. Ma also asked if I would take a basket of fruits and jams and other things over in to the camp and give them out to the soldiers. As we left I heard pa yelling at Brackston. Silver and I parted at the end of the road in front of our house. It was different walking down the road looking at the tents and hungry soldiers. When I got over to Roger’s he answered the door. I gave his mom the eggs and jam and Roger asked if I wanted to go for a walk. I told him I had to go in to the camp and give out some things my mother had packed. Roger offered to go with me and he went to ask his mother if it was okay and she even gave him a basket filled with clothes and some extra food. As we walked down the road I told him about Brackston and his nonsense at school. Roger told me that Brackston was trying to get himself in mess but that he’s lucky to have a great sister like me to make sure he stays out of trouble. I asked Roger if he ever thought about enlisting. He looked at me and told me that he was already fighting in a war. I asked what war he was fighting. He told me that he was fighting a war for my heart and he would rather win that war before he won the war for a piece of land. I told him he already had my heart and that soon, my parents would know it. Roger smiled and wrapped his arm around me.

When we got to the camp we walked right through. I saw men lying on mats being bled, some were throwing up, I even saw some with only one leg or arm. Roger and I headed to the headquarters to ask the general if it was okay to hand the items out. We knocked on the door and a lady wearing blue bonnet and a white dress with a white apron answered the door. I curtsied and Roger bowed and we asked if it was alright to talk to the general. She told us that he was in a meeting but to come inside and she would see if he would take visitors. She walked in to the parlor and told to take a seat and she went off in to another hall. I was clinging to Roger’s arm and he asked what was wrong. I told him that it was so upsetting to see those men hungry, cold, injured and miserable. I asked him if he would promise that he would never enlist in that army no matter what reason because I couldn’t bare it if he came back like that or not at all. I broke out in tears. Roger lifted my head and wiped the tears off my face and said that he promised because he wouldn’t be able to stand being away from me for that long. I started to smile.

The lady came back and told us that the general was busy but would love to talk to us and if we didn’t mind waiting he would be out in a only a few minutes. Roger said that we wouldn’t mind waiting and then he thanked her for her services and offered her a roll from his basket. She declined saying he should save for one the men out sided they needed more than she did. She turned and headed back down the hall. It was only a few minutes when a tall bearded man wearing a blue uniform and a lot of badges. He came over to us said hello. He extended a hand and we stood. Roger shook his hand and I curtsied. The general had a big brown bushy beard, dark brown hair and hazel eyes. He was tall and a strapping young fellow. He looked no older than pa. The general told us his name was General Ferdinand of the fifth regiment. I told him we were sorry to interrupt his important business but we just wanted to know if it was alright for us to hand out some things to the soldiers. General Ferdinand said that would be just fine and that it was very kind of us to be thinking about the men outside. Roger asked where they were off too and why they decided to stop here. General Ferdinand explained that they were head up north but during there travels a few men had gotten sick and there food supply had run low so they decided to stop here because there was a town and they could get more food and enlist new soldiers. I couldn’t resist and I just burst out saying why they would want to recruit young boys such as my brother. General Ferdinand looked at me; I bowed my head because I was ashamed of being so disrespectful. He looked at Roger and asked me if this was my brother. Roger said no, that he was my soon to be my fiancé. I responded my brother is at home being scolded for wanting to run off and join the army. General Ferdinand told me that he understood why I would be so upset but that my brother was very brave to want to serve his country. I looked him dead straight in his eyes and told him that my brother didn’t want to fight because he wanted to serve his country he wanted to serve because he thought it would prove he was man, but that I didn’t blame him for needing new soldiers but that I blamed him for being willing to ask young men to risk there lives for a piece of land and take a man’s house to sleep in and be warm and cozy while the men who defend us sleep out side in the bitter cold. Roger took my hand and told me to stop that I wasn’t being polite. I looked at General Ferdinand and apologized for my harsh words that it wasn’t right for me to question his method and that I was truly sorry. His eyes grew kind and he told me that I wasn’t wrong to be mad but that I should be proud because I stood there ready to fight for my brother’s life and protection. He asked if my brother was older or younger then I and I told him he was older. He said that if he was half as brave, daring and willing to stand his ground as me he would make one heck of a soldier. He gave us permission to give out our treats as he called them. He even came with us and asked us to pick out the worst looking people we saw to come and stay in the house until they recovered or it was time to go.

Everyone we gave food and clothes to thank us, some gave me a hug, others kissed my hand and a few shook hands with Roger. We went in to a tent that was full of sick and injured men. They said it was called the infirmary. Ma had given me some extra bandages we had and I gave them to the nurses. I sat by a few of the soldiers and said a few encouraging words, “I really appreciate what you’re doing,” or “Don’t worry everything’s going to get better.” It made me cry sitting there. One of the soldiers lying there asked me what was wrong. This soldier had only one leg. I told him I didn’t want to discourage him that I was fine. He looked at me and said that it was discouraging seeing a young girl cry and it would make him feel better if I told him why tears came out of my eyes. I told him that it hurt my heart to see him like this and that one day that could be my brother. Before he could say anything I got up and left the tent. Roger and I sat talking to a few soldiers as they were making some kind of stew in a big pot that was over a small fire. They asked Roger and I if we wanted any, we both said no that we could go home and eat that they needed it more than we did. It started to get dark and we had to go. The soldiers asked if we would come by tomorrow just to visit because it was nice to have a nice conversation. Roger said we would. I didn’t argue, I normally didn’t like it when people volunteered me for things but this was different I would have came back even if they didn’t ask.

Roger walked me home and told me to go easy on Brackston he was older than me but still young and might have a deeper reason then I thought. He kissed me and he left. Before he got too far I asked if he was going to school tomorrow because he hadn’t been there for a while. He said no he had to work. I had forgotten about his apprenticeship. When I went inside Pa was sitting by the fire with ma who was working on her sewing. I headed upstairs and ma called asking if I was hungry I told her no that I don’t think I could hold anything down. She asked if I was sick I said yes I was sick of this war. I went to my room and Silver and Brackston were in there reading a book to each other. When I entered Silver asked what the camp was like. I told her it was kind of depressing but reassuring. She asked if I was going back. I told her yes and if she wanted she could come. Brackston asked if he could tag along. I said that I had no control over him and if he wanted to come he could. Brackston gave me a look and asked what was wrong. I told him that the things I saw were life changing and every time I saw a soldier I thought of how that could be my brother. He looked at me and told me that it would be hard but he would come back. Then he gave me a hug and kept whispering don’t worry it’s going to be okay. I sometimes forget he is my older brother and he’s always there for me even if he does do something that makes me want to scream and hit him. I asked Silver how things went in the market. She told me it was different. It felt like it was dying. Everyone seemed to be thinking. The vendors weren’t yelling like usual and Mr. Feldman hadn’t started a whole full length conversation when she asked how things were going. All he said was that a war was going on and that there weren’t enough men to help and how England needs to take there behinds back across the sea. I told Silver to watch her mouth and not to let Pa or Ma here her say that word. Behind is not a polite word for a lady to say or a man to say around one. Silver said she saw the Howards, a normally active jolly couple but today she said she saw them yelling at vendors saying that the prices were unfairly marked, that just because the war is costly doesn’t mean it has to cost the people who don’t want anything to do with it.

The next week was insane. I took Silver and Brackston with Roger and me to the camp and it was almost heartbreaking to see Silver reading a book to an injured soldier. General Ferdinand was walking about the grounds and he came over and said hello and I introduced him to Brackston. Brackston and him had a small conversation and told him how he had enlisted. I was of course shocked because I had though pa had talked some sense in to him. General Ferdinand told him that he better go and meet his new fellow mates because they were going to be off in a few days. That night I heard Brackston muttering, “What did I get myself into,” I went on to his room that night and we talked a while. He told me he didn’t want to go anymore that he didn’t think he could take it. I asked him what changed his mind. Brackston looked away and answered, that he saw the soldiers with missing limbs, soldiers who were starving, whose feet were bleeding. I didn’t want to but I asked him why he wanted to go in the first place. Brackston looked at me. He said that he wanted to fight; he wanted to know that he did fight for his freedom and his family’s freedom, but now he would rather be controlled by England forever than to go and fight. Roger was right there was a deeper reason. Brackston wanted to fight for us: he wanted to fight for his home. In stead of telling him I told you, you shouldn’t have done it I just said it’s going to be alright you’re going come back and when you do I’m going to rub all of your sore limbs which will all be intact and then I’m going to make you a big hearty meal. The truth is though I thought it was stupid, I was never prouder of my brother. He gave me a hug and said that when he comes back that I better be a happily married women and Roger better be my husband. In the next few days the regiment was off and they took my brother with them. I couldn’t help but cry. Brackston gave all of us a big hug and Roger told me that he told him that he better take good care of his sister. I saw Ma cry and Pa was trying to comfort her. I told her that he was going to make a great soldier and when he comes back healthy and alive were going to have a big celebration with the whole town no matter the cost. Ma looked at me and told me I was one brave girl and she didn’t know how she would make it if I wasn’t there. I told her she always had Silver and that it would all be okay. For some reason in the last few weeks I had been told and had been telling people that it would all be okay but I wasn’t so sure when I heard it, but I was always sure when I said it because if it was the last thing in the world to happen my Brother would come home.

That night when Silver and I were getting ready for bed she asked me if I had an extra handkerchief. I went in to the brown trunk at the end of my bed and pulled out a case with some sewing materials and handed her a handkerchief I made a few weeks a go. I asked he what had happened to hers. She told me that she had given it to Jackson. I looked at her funny. Silver realized I wanted to know who that was and she said it was the soldier she had read the book to. He had been sweating and she used it to wipe his head. Jackson had taken her hand and told her it was no need for her to waste that beautiful handkerchief but Silver had insisted that he not be foolish and let her wipe his head. He had promised to come back one day and return the favor. Silver said she only laughed and told him that he should only come back to let her know that he was alive and well, not to return a piece of cloth.

Later that week it was late at night and I was heading to the barn and I saw some men in our barn they were stealing our animals and when I turned around another group of them were taking my pa’s carpentry tools. When I went to run to get pa one of the men grabbed me and said if I didn’t want to get hurt I would sit still and shut up. They got some rope and tied me to barrel. In an hour they were gone and no one came to get me until morning. It was Silver who came and untied me. I told pa what had happened and he said those scoundrels. He asked me what they were wearing; I told him it looked like they were wearing soldier uniforms like the ones England wore. He told me that from now on I wasn’t to be out in the barn at night and that he was so glad I was okay. When Silver and I went upstairs I heard pa call England soldiers scoundrels and a sad excuse for a group of men. I just hope those excuses weren’t going to kill my brother. I would give away everything we owned if he came back safely.

When I went back to school a few days later I overheard Tristain Whipperman saying that Brackston wouldn’t come back from the war at least not alive and that if my family lost any more animals or supplies we would become poor and starve and that his father would pay pa the money to replace the animals and crops if he made me marry one of his sons. Tristain even said that it would be more of a sacrifice on their family if one of them had to marry me. I went right over to him and told him that before any of that could happen I would starve and die and that if he ever said that my brother wouldn’t come back I would hit him so hard that his only problem wouldn’t be getting a lady to marry him. After that I decided not to stay but to go to pa’s shop and help him that day. When we went home there was a letter from Brackston.

Dear family,

I just want to tell you not to worry about me. So far everything is going fine and I’m being trained pretty well. There isn’t a lot of food around here though but I hope everything at home is going well. Belle I’m sorry about the things I said to you about not being a decent young lady. You were just looking out for me which is something I rarely ever did for you. I wish I could’ve been a better older brother to you and Silver. We were lucky though, we always had you to look after us. Oh and Silver there is a Jackson fellow here in camp asking about you. Apparently you had a great influence on him. Since I’m your brother he promised to keep a special eye out for me so thank you for being so friendly. Ma I’m sorry if I hurt you by running off and enlisting but I hope one day you understand why I had to do this. Pa I hope I can make you proud by being a good soldier. Belle tell Roger I said hi and I know your going to make a great wife and he’s going treat you well that is if pa ever permits your marriage. I have to go and I’ll write soon. I love you all and I miss you.

Your brother and son,

Brackston

After we read this letter ma and pa looked at me and asked if it was true. Was I really in love with Roger and did we really want to get married. I looked at them and said yes it was all true. My pa sat down and had a sad look on his face. I got on my knees and sat by his chair and asked what was wrong. He told me that he was terribly sorry but that I would not be able to marry Roger because Mr. Whipperman had agreed to pay for the supplies needed to keep the barn and shop going. That the only way he would do this is if the eldest daughter would marry his eldest son. I looked at him and said, I’m sorry pa but I refuse to marry any of the Whipperman boys. I love this family and would help in any way possible but this isn’t an option.” My father told Silver to go over to Roger’s and bring him here immediately. I could hardly believe that what Tristain Whipperman said was true; though it’s wrong to lie I had hoped he was; I mean he never told the truth before.

We didn’t say another word until Silver came back with Roger. I ran over to him and told him everything my father said. Roger started to beg my father to reconsider. Roger told him that he knew he wasn’t the wealthiest man in town but that he loved me and even if he wouldn’t let me marry him that he wouldn’t make me marry someone who made me miserable. Pa told him to stop and to stand up and said that he couldn’t stand in the way of his daughter’s happiness and that he definitely couldn’t force his daughter to marry when she was already in love. Then he said that he gave consent for us to marry but that we would have to hurry. He went in the barn and hitched up the carriage to two horses and rode all the way to the pastor’s house. None of us knew what was really going on. We sat in the carriage while pa talked to the pastor. When he was done he came and told us to get out and to go inside. We went inside and were ushered in to living room. Roger and I were ushered in front of the fire place while everyone sat in behind us. The pastor stood in front of us with a bible and started to recite wedding vows. I asked what was going on. Pa explained that if we really loved each other that he wasn’t going to make me marry anyone else but since he already made the deal we had to be married immediately because Mr. Whipperman couldn’t say anything about it because the deal would have to be broken and we could just say that you two ran off and got married with previous consent. It made sense. My pa had made a deal to have me marry but if they said that we had already had the permission to marry but wanted to wait so we could have a fancier wedding but when my father told me the news we ran off to another town and married Mr. Whipperman couldn’t do anything about it. My pa had made the deal when I was still a single lady but I wasn’t anymore and he could make Silver marry because I was still the eldest daughter. So we had the wedding. It wasn’t the wedding I had pictured but I didn’t care I was finally marrying Roger, a dream we had had for years.

After the wedding pa told us that he would help build the house we would live in and that he was sorry that he couldn’t give me a big wedding. I told him that I didn’t care if we had a big wedding, I was just glad that he let us get married. He asked where we wanted to build the house and I told him on the hill that over looks the village. Roger told me he wouldn’t want it anywhere else, it was our favorite place when we were kids and it was where we fell in love we couldn’t live anywhere else.

So we built the house and Roger and I moved in. We had two beautiful children, a girl named Charlotte, and a boy named Theodore. Mr. Whipperman was forced to break his deal and when he asked for Silver my pa refused saying he couldn’t make the same mistake marrying off his daughter like that again. Roger’s parents helped my family so they weren’t forced to sell the shop. As for Brackston, he sent many more letters and always letting us know how he was doing. The letters were always cheerful. When he came back after nine years of war I asked why he never wrote of his troubles. He told me that because he never wanted to worry us and every time his muscles ached he remembered my promise to rub his sore limbs and when his stomach growled for more food he remembered the promise of a hearty meal and he always felt better. I kept my promise and rubbed his sores away and I made a great meal just for him. I also kept my promise to ma and we had a big celebration to celebrate the fact that my brother was home. The whole town came and even Tristain Whipperman showed up. I was walking by one time and I heard him say I was pretty sure he would die a wimp like him. I went right up to him and hit him so hard just like I promised and then I told him that my brother was stronger and braver then him because unlike him he had the nerve to go and fight for us and weather or not he knew this that’s the only reason he doesn’t belong to England.

Tristain died three years later from a heart attack and he never married. His parents died of old age and as for Nigel he died in a river, he hit his head on a rock. Silver grew up and married Jackson the soldier she had read the book to the day I took her to the camp. He kept his promise to come back and let Silver know he was alive and well and he returned her handkerchief. He had had it washed and kept it under his head every night remembering her and hoping he would be able to see her again. When he came back it wasn’t long before they fell in love and married. They had a strapping son who was named after Edward. My parents died only a month apart from each other. They died peacefully in there sleep from old age. America did win the war and sent England all the way back across the sea just as Mr. Feldman had said. Unfortunately he did enlist in the army and died and they were unable to carry his body to his family. Brackston came to marry Silver’s best friend Louise and they had a beautiful little girl they named Kristiana. Roger and I lived together happily always planning our future while looking back on the past. We did one day ride all the way past the hills. There was a town over the hills and we spent many a vacation there. Our children ask us a lot about what it was like when the war was going on. Roger always tells them that we never paid attention to what was happening that far off but what was happening right in our backyard. He always tells them that it wasn’t the revolutionary War we went through, but it was a war of heart and home.

Chapter 1
The Beginning of a Tragic End

Do you remember the sinking of Titanic? I do and it was the worst day of my life. It was the year 1912 and I was only fourteen years old. My name is Belle Dreams and I’m a survivor of the Great Titanic.

My mother and father thought it would be great idea to have a family vacation in London, so we packed up and with my mom, dad, older brother Brackston and younger sister Silver and we set off. It was a wonderful experience. We got to see the Buckingham Palace, go shopping and even managed to go see France while in Europe. The best part was that we got to stay in the fanciest hotel I had ever seen. Right in the lobby they had a big shining chandelier. The walls were filled with pictures of angels and hearts. There was even a band playing. In our suite there were four rooms, just enough for all of us to have our own room. My room was decorated in blue. Sky blue bed sheets and a darker blue on the walls. If you looked at the ceiling, it looked as if you were staring at the night sky, with all of the shining lights that just stood there twinkling as the moon reflected off of them. It was truly amazing.

Just two days before we were to leave to go back home my father barged in to the room shouting, “Family come here, I have wonderful news.” He was waving five tickets in his hands. It turns out he was able to get five first class tickets to get on the Titanic. It was said that this ship was to be unsinkable and the most astonishing ship ever. I had never ridden on a boat before and was quite excited. I later learned calling this magnificent vessel a boat was considered sin among sailors and man. My father told us we were to leave tomorrow and go to Liverpool to board the ship.

The next day I put on my light blue dress and a nice white hat with a pink bow around the brim. My mother also suggested that I put on my white shoes. I than went to help Silver pick out her clothes. Silver was thirteen and was like my best friend. She wanted my opinion on everything and I wanted hers. We agreed that she should wear her yellow dress and a pink hat with the white ribbon around it along with her pink shoes. It was time to leave. I wish now that I had known it was going to be a disaster.

When we reached Liverpool they were already boarding passengers. There were so many people there. The people actually getting on the ship, the ones who were there to say goodbye, and the others who just wanted to see the ship set sail on its maiden voyage. My father told us all to stick together because he didn’t want any of us getting lost in the crowd. When we reached the entrance there were some men there taking our suitcases, when I saw this I held mine even tighter. I had to ask them why they would even want a suitcase filled with girl clothes. The man gave me a look but quickly explained he didn’t want my clothes he wanted to put in my cabin for me and they were doing a luggage count. I asked how they would know where my cabin would be. He pointed to a tag and said it had my name and the cabin I was to be placed in. I let go of my bag and he took it. When we got up the rail there was another man asking if we had gone through the health check. My father handed the man a five slips of paper with stamps on them verifying we were healthy and allowed to proceed.

When we were on board there was a man a black vest with a white shirt underneath, wearing a black tie, waiting there to show us to our cabins. I thought we were all going to be allowed our own cabin though that was not the case. My dad explained that he had to get a ticket for everyone but couldn’t afford a cabin for each of us. He asked if I would mind sharing a cabin with Silver. I of course told him no, I wouldn’t want to share a room with anyone else.

My parents were in their cabin taking a little nap and Brackston didn’t tell me what he was doing in his cabin. So Silver and I decided to look around the room. It was spectacular. There were two beds and a single desk. That bathroom had a bathtub and a shower; it also had a variety of different soaps and candles!

When we were done looking at the room we decided to get Brackston so all three of us could go to the A deck and look at all the people waving. It was very crowded so we went down a level or two and found a nice spot. We all started waving and when the ship started to move I almost fell over backwards but a nice boy caught me. I thanked him and he said it was no problem at all. Silver and Brackston left to go and explore the rest of the ship; I told them I wanted to stay there to look at the ocean. The boy and I talked for a while he said his name was Roger and this was his first time on a ship as well. After a while I had to leave and go find my family because it was getting time for dinner. Roger told me he hoped to see me around.

When I went back to the cabin all of my clothes were put away so neatly. I quickly changed in to a pink dress and put on my pink shoes with the pink shawl. Just as I finished my mother knocked on the door and told me it was time to go to dinner. We had a fabulous meal in fantastic restaurant. I don’t quite remember the name but the food was delicious. The beef was tender and the soup creamy. We were seated a t a table with some other first class passengers. Mr. and Mrs. Hotchinson, a nice little couple with three children. Their children how ever were quite unruly. Their little boy kept kicking me under the table and their daughter tried to spill gravy on my dress. However; they had another son, Roger, the young lad I had been talking to when I was out on the decks. We talked all through the meal. The waiters even brought out a complementary cheese tray before we ordered desert. I tried a few of the cheeses but my stomach couldn’t have held a desert.

After the evening meal I thought it would be a good idea to go for a walk before bed. Roger was happy to accompany me since Silver and Brackston were ready to go to bed. My parents allowed it and went to their cabin. We talked quite a bit as we walked through all of the decks. When we reached the very top we stopped and just stood there. I was leaning on the railing and looking out toward the ocean. Roger told me that we were going to make one last stop before we set course for New York. He was standing beside me with his arm around my waist so I wouldn’t fall. I told him that I didn’t think my father would approve of him having his hands on me. Roger said that he thought my father would mind more if he let me fall into the water. The stars were out and they shined brighter than ever before. Roger told me to make a wish. I remember closing my eyes and thinking of the most beautiful thing ever. Roger asked what I had wished. I told him even though the rules say if you tell someone the wish won’t come true. I wished to have one of the brightest stars in the night sky. Though now I wish I had wished that my family would make it safely home.

Afterwards he walked me back to my cabin. I thanked him for walking with me and told him I hoped I’d see him tomorrow. Before I closed my door Roger asked if it would be possible for me to join him in the library tomorrow afternoon. I went in to my cabin and was very quiet when I was changing in to my night clothes because Silver was asleep. I got in bed and looked up at the ceiling. I thought about how wonderful the trip had been so far.

Chapter 2
Another look at the stars

The next morning I slept through breakfast and finally woke around ten. I took a nice bath and the bubbles smelled of roses. I put on my purple dress and decided to wear my blue shoes. I didn’t put on a hat because wanted my hair to be free. I walked around the ship for a while just to see what everyone else was doing. I went to the library on the ship. It was filled with some good books and stationary. I decided to write a letter to all of my friends and thought I would let them know the wonderful news. It was still sort of early so Roger wasn’t there I would go back sometime after lunch.

We docked for an hour or two. I wasn’t sure where we were because I didn’t really care we were going home and I wouldn’t be allowed off the ship for more than a few minutes to mail the letters at the post office nearby. I boarded the ship once more when I was done. When I was in the post office I bought five extra stamps to put in my diary to remember this adventure. Very soon afterward I realized I was hungry, so I went to a café on the ship. I didn’t get a big meal considering tea was going to be served soon and the mid-day meal. As soon as I was done I left to go explore the rest of the ship.

I soon saw some children in the third class playing and wanted to go and play with them so much. I asked a man near the gate if it would be alright for me to go over. He told me I was allowed every where on the ship being a first class passenger. I asked if it would be okay for them to come over. The guard said that it wouldn’t the wisest thing to do considering some of the other first class passengers might find it unruly. So he opened the gate and I went over to see if I could play with them. They allowed me play and we enjoyed our selves until the mid-day meal was served.

I met up with my family a little late and I got a good scolding from my mother. The older girls from another family we were sitting with snickered. There was nice band playing while we were eating. The strangest thing happened, it was stranger to me than anyone else really, Roger came over - I didn’t even know he was there - and he asked me to a dance. I looked at my father and he gave a nod. So I accepted the dance. It was fun dancing, it made me feel like a princess being spun across the floor. We dance for three songs then my mother gave a signal for me to come back. Roger walked me back to the table and pulled my seat out for me to sit. He thanked me for the dance and then left to go sit with his family. “Quite a nice young gentleman,” my father couldn’t help but say. Silver nudged me in my arm and I nudged her back. The older girls who had snickered before now just snorted and I knew they were jealous. Before Roger left though, he told me not to forget to go to the library after the meal.

After we finished I went to the library and sitting right at the window was Roger writing. I went over to him and asked him what he was writing. He asked me sit down in the seat next to him then he told me he was writing a short story but it wasn’t anything great. I asked if he would permit me to read it. He handed me the book he was writing in. It was a magnificent story about a girl who wanted nothing more then to be a bird. I asked him if he could go any where in the world where it would be. He took my hand asked if I would follow him to the decks. I followed him to the front of the ship. He pointed straight in front of us. “That’s were I want to go all the way around and back. I want to see everything. It would be wonderful seeing the greatest sights in the world and the not so greats. It would be even more wonderful if someone would accompany me. Maybe a lovely girl to be in all of the pictures, it would have to be someone fun, but I would have to enjoy her company, Belle do you know a girl like that, maybe I met a in the last day or two?” I looked ahead and felt the sea breeze. “Well I don’t know every girl you met in the last day. I mean it’s an awful big ship. But your dream of seeing the world seems so great. Climbing the highest mountains and maybe eating the most exotic foods.” Roger looked at me and asked if I would promise one day that I would go with him and we could have the most wonderful adventures together, that is if I didn’t have any plans in the next few years. I turned toward him told him that I would clear my schedule to see the world especially if it was with him. We went in side and sat down in the library. I picked up a lovely book about a princess falling in love with her prince. Roger sat near me writing his story and constantly looking up.

So we spent the rest of the day in the library or walking around the ship. When dinner was being served I just had the soup course. My mother thought there was something wrong, but I assured her there was nothing at all wrong. I asked to be excused and just went to go look out at the ocean. When dinner was over I heard people moving around. A few people came on to deck to have a smoke or walk a dog but none came to just listen to the ocean or look at the stars. Roger was standing at the door. He called my name. He said that after I had excused myself that my parents had asked what happened that afternoon. Roger said that he told them nothing had happened I might have just been a little sea sick but he would check on me after the meal if I hadn’t come back. Roger moved closer to me and said I didn’t come back so he went looking for me it wasn’t hard because he searched the three places I would be; my cabin, the library and the decks. He asked me if there was something wrong. I told him the truth. I told him I had bad feeling about this ship and the sooner we reached New York the better. Roger took my hand and told me that I was probably just scared about being on a boat for the first time. I asked him if there was a cure for fear. He said yes, the cure is to be someone who makes you feel safe and calm, some one who distracts you from everything in the world, and when you find them have them kiss you and you’ll feel better. I looked at him and asked who made him feel that way. He said, “She’s a girl on this ship who I had the pleasure of dancing with this afternoon, she loves looking at the ocean and sky, and the very girl who holds my hand right this moment.” I looked down knowing who he was talking about. He lifted my chin and stroked my hair. Then he pulled me a little closer and he kissed me. It turned out he was right, being with someone who makes you feel as wonderful as ever kissing you makes your fear disappear. Roger let my hands go and then he coughed. He said he hoped I didn’t mind. I really didn’t know what to say. Then Roger said it was getting late and if I wanted he would walk me to my cabin. I told him no that I would rather stay out here for a while. I asked if he would mind staying with me

When we got to my cabin I turned to him and thanked him for making me feel better. He kissed my hand and said it was no trouble at all, it was quite enjoyable. “Now I believe the young lady would like some rest so I will leave her now and see her tomorrow,” he said with a bow and a laugh. I curtsied and went in to my room. As soon as I was in my night clothes I woke Silver who I know would be thrilled to hear of my story.

Chapter 3

The Rush

It was a little before midnight when a stewardess knocked on the door quite loudly. Both Silver and I woke. Silver answered the door. “Excuse me ladies but I need you to put on your life belts and go to the decks immediately,” the stewardess said in a worried kind of voice. We didn’t respond but did as we were told and headed for the decks. It was very crowded and they were filling the life boats. I found mother and father, with Brackston near behind. I asked what was going on. My father said he was sure it was just a safety drill. “So why are they dropping the boats in the water, and why are they ushering the women and children first,” I said knowing something was wrong. I know it was stupid but I ran down to poop deck, I think they called it and sat on a bench. I saw Mr. Hotchinson and called to him. As soon as he saw me he came over. He asked why I wasn’t on the decks getting in the boats. I told him I needed to know what was going on. He told me to just go up on the decks and find Roger and his mother. I did as I was told.

It didn’t take long to find him because as soon as he saw me he ran over. “You were right, there is something wrong. The ship hit and iceberg and the ship is sinking. They’re getting the women and children in life boats,” he said holding my hand and walking with me toward a boat. I backed up and told him I had to find my family. Roger came with me to find them and when we did we all moved toward the boats. The men manning the boats stopped us and said to my father, “I’m sorry sir only women and children, your daughters and wife will be permitted but you and your son will have to wait here until the rest are off.” My father asked if my brother could get in because he was only fifteen. The man said he was sorry but no. Then the man looked at roger and asked how old he was, Roger said twelve. The man helped the four of us in the boat and then Rogers’s mother and little brother and sister were lucky enough to get to the boat in time. When we were down in water I asked Robert if he was really twelve. His mother laughed and said of course not he was fourteen, but he was smart enough to lie to get on. There was a man in the boat with us to help row it. Roger took me in his arms when I started crying. He kept saying “I’m so sorry”. The man rowed away from the sinking vessel, the Titanic. I whispered to my self, “They said she was unsinkable.” Roger heard and just kept holding me.

I heard men jumping to there deaths and prayed that my father and brother made it. Some men were able to swim to our boat and we pulled them in. One died though when he was trying to get aboard; Silver was trying to help him in when his heart gave out and he fell in the water pulling my sister in with him. I screamed and almost set the boat topside. The captain of the boat yelled at me. I yelled back saying my sister was in the ocean. I knew that water was freezing and you could die in there, someone already had. We were able to pull her in and we tried to warm her but we couldn’t and she just died. Not one last word. Her skin was blue and she was cold. I just cried on Roger’s shirt. I kept saying she was my best friend. My mother came over to hug me as well. My mother was crying as well and Roger’s mother tried to comfort her. When the man paddling the boat said to throw her over because she was dead weight it made me cry even more and Roger’s mother told him hush up before he got himself thrown overboard.

It was hours before anyone came to help us. When a ship finally did come they sent out ladders and slings to get the people out of the boats. The survivors of the Titanic were looking for love ones and friends. I looked for my father and brother. I never found them. I didn’t want it to be true but my father and brother were dead along with my thirteen year old sister. I just sat crying on Roger. He was crying to though he didn’t want me to see but I knew he was because I felt his tears hit my face. I knew he was crying for his father. We just sat there, me and him, holding each other, not saying a word.

The ship we got on was heading to New York and when we got there reporters were everywhere, people shoving microphones in our faces. I tried to ignore them but I did say one thing to one person. I told them, “They said it was unsinkable but they were wrong and I lost my brother, sister, and father because of it,” and then I left. We took the train back to our small neighborhood. It turns out Roger and his family lived in the same neighborhood and I never knew. A few months later we had a funeral for our dead family members.

When I was eighteen Roger proposed to me on December 20, of 1916. We were married the next year in March. To this day we are happily married and every year on the anniversary of that tragic day our families mourn the lost of our dear loved ones. If you ask me if I ever felt bad that I survived when so many died I’ll tell you I was sick at heart when I first set foot on the ship. That was the last vacation I ever took with my entire family and we barely got to say good bye.

My friends asked me if there was anything that I regretted about the trip I still tell them I regret not spending more time with my family and I regret ever letting them get on the boat. People ask me when I will ever get on a boat again and I tell them when they make a ship that can sail around the entire world ice bergs and all and is truly unsinkable. I will never forget my sister or my brother. I sometimes wish I had shared more stories with Silver. Sometimes I feel it’s my fault she died after all I could have helped that man in the boat because I much heavier then her. It makes me remember her kind and gentle heart that’ll never beat again. We were the best of friends my brother, sister and I but mostly my sister and I. We laughed and cried together and I still can’t believe there gone. As for my father I miss him with all of my heart and I thank him for the great and memorable adventure, I thank him for trying to give us a new experience but I’m sorry he had to die because of it. So ask me my greatest memory or my worst fear I’ll tell you one word TITANIC.

Amore,

I’m so sorry to tell you but I mill not be coming home for the holidays. We are snowed in here and with only 400 hundred students it’s so hard toasty warm. It gets even colder here at night. I dream of being there in your warm arms. Roger I do miss you and can’t wait for your next letter. They bring me hope and joy. When I come back in the spring I want to go to the lake like we use to, the same place where secrets were told and promises were made. Please write and remember I do love you.

Your love,

Belle

Roger sat on his bed reading the sad letter. He walked down stairs to the kitchen were his mom was doing the evening dishes. “What’s wrong honey,” his mother asked.
“Belle isn’t coming home for holidays, her school is snowed in,” Roger said handing his mom the letter. She dried her hands and took the letter. “Well, she says she’ll be home in the spring and that she loves you.” At that moment his father walked in. He noticed Roger’s face. “Son why do you look so down?” his father asked. Roger just gave him the letter and headed upstairs to upset to repeat the news.

As for Belle she was sitting in her room. “I wish the storm would go some where else, Belle was saying. Some of her friends were there to. There was this one boy who had this thing for her there as well. “Belle it will be okay. When the snow clears you can go home,” Jessica said. I the mean time we can have a little fun, “Daniel said moving closer to her. “Daniel go away, she’s sitting here crying because she can’t get home to her boyfriend and you’re flirting,” Silver remarked.
“So what, you can’t blame me for the weather and how couldn’t I flirt with her,” he said now his hand around her waist. Belle moved and sat by her friends Bebe, Diamond, and Ruby. “Why don’t you just open his present? It might make you feel better,” Diamond suggested.
“I can’t he said not to open until the next time I see him,” Belle said looking at the note wrapped around a pretty little blue box. It said: To my dearest Belle whose name means only beauty. In this little box is a memory I will always cherish. On this note is a little bell to tell you that when I say your name it’s as pretty as Christmas bells.

“It’s so sweet what he writes in those letters. I only wish Jonathan was so romantic,” Jessica commented.
“Think this time next year we could be hearing the sound of wedding bells,” said Bebe.

“Yeah is she doesn’t come to her senses first,” Daniel said.
“Even if I do change my mind there is no way I would even consider dating you,” Belle told him.

“You’re the one with your head in the clouds. He hasn’t even proposed what makes you think he wants to marry you,” He said back. Belle started to cry. “Oh no, I didn’t mean that. Okay I’m just a little jealous. He gets you for a wife but I get you for a friend. I should be lucky I get you at all,” He said giving her a hug. After that they all just sat there drinking hot chocolate.

Back in Roger’s house Roger was lying on his bed. “Come on talk to me,” his father said sitting down on a chair. “What is she doesn’t come back or she found some one else. She could break my heart dad.”
“Roger you and Belle have been friends for the as long as anyone can remember. You and her came inside one day and announced you to were going to marry each other.”
“Yeah we did and the next day we went all over town and told everyone. But we were six, things change. What if, what if she doesn’t love me anymore? Roger said holding his pillow.
“Listen son you two have loved each other for the last fifteen years. You planned your when wedding when you were ten. She went to school and you had to say so long not goodbye,” His father tried to remind him.
“Dad I know your right but I just miss her. If she does what I asked her to she won’t see her gift till spring,” Roger whispered.
“Son I have no clue what you’re talking about.”
“It’s nothing, I just she would write more and tell me how she’s doing.”

“Son she’s fine and when she does write she’ll tell you about her friends, classes, her health, and the final details of you wedding,” he assured him.
“I only wish. I know she’ll write everything but the wedding I was going to propose this Christmas but she won’t be here,” He said looking at picture he had drawn of her. “Go for a walk and clear your head.” Roger put on his coat and walked to the lake. “I wish she was here. I want to help her. That’s just what I’m going to do. I’ll by a train ticket and go get her. Whatever it takes.”

“Why won’t you stop crying about a boy who hasn’t proposed after fifteen year? I still don’t understand he really isn’t worth your tears,” Daniel was saying.

“That’s it. Get out of our room right now,” Jesse yelled while shoving him out of the door.
“Thank you Jessica,” said with smile. Jessica sat down next to her. “No problem that’s what friends are for.
“Getting rid of annoying boys,” Diamond joked. They all started laughing. “Belle there’s no need to worry about Roger. I know he’ll propose as soon as you get home,” Bebe said trying to cheer Belle up.
“I know he will but a year is a long time what if he changed his mind?” Belle said. Silver looked at her. “Fifteen years is even a longer time if he wanted to change his mind he would have done it years ago. Admit it Belle he loves you and that will never change.”
“I know your right Silver. I remember when I told I was going to school he almost started crying but said it was a great opportunity. I can’t wait to go home and see him again,” Belle said fighting back tears. She was pretty sure her friends were tired of hearing her cry.

Roger was throwing things in a small suitcase. “Son, please what are you doing,” his father wanted to know
“I’m going to get her,” Roger said happily.
“Roger listen,” his father said, “You can’t go out there. The storm is awful and her school is snowed in. Are you ready to shovel through feet of snow and that’s only if you don’t die first?”
“Dad I want her here with me where I know she’s safe,” Roger explained.
“Roger, sit down and listen to me for a second.” Roger sat and looked at his father. Roger she’s in New York and it’s snowing all over the country”
“Dad I love her and want her here with me.” His father stopped and looked at his son. He was determined to his girlfriend back and he was willing to risk his life to do it. “I get you want her here. I’m pretty sue your going to say you’ll die for her,” He stood and looked at a picture of Roger and Belle, “Just think though, if you die she’ll never be able to love the way you want her to. You’ll never be able to marry her and worse give her even more tears to cry giving some other lucky man the chance to comfort her. She’ll fall in love with him and marry him and I won’t be able to do anything to stop her because you won’t be here. But if you still want to get her I wish all the luck, just remember what I said. You to make such a beautiful couple I would hate to see her with someone else.” Roger’s father left and Roger got out a pen a paper.

Dear Love,

I know it’ll be days if not weeks by time you get this letter. I just want you to know I love you so much and all I want is for you to be happy and safe. When I got your letter I was so sad to hear we won’t be spending Christmas together like we have done for so many years. The reason I’m writing is to tell you that it’s okay for you to open you r present. In side is promise. The promise that you’ll love me forever and that’ you’ll be mine. My dear Belle, please take this ring and know our love is strong enough to beat any and all obstacles and that I love you.

Your fiancé,

Roger

NeVassa GOLD said...
on Jan. 14 2012 at 4:43 pm
NeVassa GOLD, Ft. Belvoir, Virginia

Oh god I was a stupid twelve year old

wow... this is so good!

on Jan. 14 2012 at 4:37 pm
SarasotaWonder BRONZE, Cumberland, Maine
Hey, great job with this! I really enjoyed the plot line and the dillemas, and thought you really excelled at portraying the historical aspect of this. There were just a few things I would work on: 1)Pa vs. Father and Ma. vs. Mother....which one does the main character use? You will want to keep it consistent. 2)Also, it read a tad like an article or journal in a newpaper....try adding more emotion and some more description. This will lengthen it out as well as add more intensity to the novel. 3) You did better with this towards the end, but add more dialouge in the begining. It will let the reader know more about the main character, as well as draw out the rather long plot. Overal, great work! I hope my comment helped :)

on Jan. 13 2012 at 6:18 pm
WrittenEmotions PLATINUM, Fairhope, Alabama

The only people who don't get anywhere are the people who don't dream of a better place for themselves...

Wow I love this!(: great!