I Miss You

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Why Are You Here?

'Why are you here?' The question was on the tip of my tongue and threatening to come out.
Tyler was sitting beside me in the LaZ-Boy chair. I wasn't paying any attention to our parents conversation I was deep in thought.
Tyler wasn't talking to me. Was he failing in college? If he was home why didn't he want to just spend time with his parents? Should I say something? What should I say? What should I do?

* * *

Later Mom led us to the dinning room
for dinner. I didn't really pay attention to the conversations around the table but I heard bits and pieces. Dad, Tyler's dad and Tyler were talking about his college. Every now and then Dad would look over at me as if to say, 'See college wouldn't kill you.'
And my mom and Tyler's mom were talking about going to the movies later this week.
Anxious butterflies were swarming around in my stomach. Why wasn't Tyler talking to me? Was he ignoring me? Why?
"I have something to tell everyone after dinner," Tyler said just when Mom got up to go get desert.
My stomach dropped. This was it. Something was coming that no one at this table was going to like, I could feel it.
Bad news was just around the corner.
I could tell that Tyler's parents were anxious to hear Tyler's news. The way Tyler's mom held herself up in her chair, shoulders tense and eyes staring straight ahead, I knew that she had the same SPIDER SENSE as I did. We both knew that something bad was coming.
We all ate quietly. There was no sound other than the scraping of forks. And when desert was over no one asked or offered anything else. All eyes were on Tyler.
His eyes were on the white flowery table cloth. My hands were shaking in my lap. Tyler sighed heavily and looked up and stared at the wall.

"I'm joining the army," Tyler said.

Beside me Tyler's mom dropped her fork. In the shocking silence when the fork hit the plat it sounded like a wrecking ball hitting a building.

This book has 7 comments. Post your own now!

inthecorner919 said...
I'm not trying to be mean but I think the stoyline is too predictable. I dislike the leaps in time (how did she get from the dining table to the forest? 10 year leap?). She placed her hand on his chest how many times? Finally, don't you think that 60% chance of death is a bit of an exageration. (Sorry for nit-picking. I liked it overall)

fluffy_504 said...
Sept. 22, 2013 at 1:44 am
Omg soo cute. I love this short story!

natureismusic said...
i love it!!!!! im calling the cops beacause you just stole my heart : ) shakpsere would be jealous of you.

HRose said...
Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:53 am
OMG i LOVE it sooooo much!!! soo cute!!

BadGirl said...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 10:58 am
Finally finished!!! :)

WHUT said...
POSTMOREE!

BadGirl replied...

:D I will right now I'm writing it on paper so the book wont go back on the waiting list. It should be complete at the end of the week :)

Thanks for reading my book and commenting!!! :)