When Hearts Turn

Author's note: I just thought it would be cool to write about something like this. I find hypocrisy hilarious...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I just thought it would be cool to write about something like this. I find hypocrisy hilarious (in most cases), and writing about it is tons of fun! I hope you like it! :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next »

Confused

I didn’t bother telling Ben about my encounter with Landon yesterday. He would only make up excuses, saying he was only teasing; only trying to sweeten me up to get him to like him as a friend since he was with Anna. And I suppose that could’ve been the case too, but by the way Landon laughed about it, and the way he looked at me, I could tell that that wasn’t the issue.

“Coming to the game tonight or are you still mad at me?”

“I was never mad at you, Ben,” I told him without looking away from my cell phone. I was busy texting Anna. We weren’t exactly over our fight yet, but we were on contact terms – at least, technology-wise. I knew that when we passed each other in the hall, we wouldn’t be ready for the usual thirty second gabber about what we missed in each other’s classes, but we wouldn’t completely ignore each other either.

Anna: y r u so hung over about 2day? we can reschedule.

To save us from a cyber fight, I sighed heavily and typed what she wanted to hear.

Skylar: fine. w.e. go ahead & hav fun

“Hellooooo?” Ben said, waving his hand in front of my face. “Earth the Skylar?”

“Sorry, Ben.” I put away my phone and smiled up at him. “Of course I’ll come to the game. I wouldn’t miss seeing you play. Even if you are spending an hour just to run up and down the same court with a ball.”

Ben grinned and slipped into a seat beside me. “I love your love for basketball…” He leaned over and gave me a quick kiss, telling me that he was sorry for whatever he did wrong and he wanted to get back to our joking ways.

I felt the same way, even if he didn’t exactly see the errors of his ways. “So, what is the team doing after that?” I asked him. Whatever it was, Landon was ditching just to meet up with Anna, and for some reason, I couldn’t get that out of my head. I knew it wasn’t just the fact that we were missing our movie night, but I just couldn’t put my finger on it. Landon’s cockiness had something to do with it, but that wasn’t my pin-point reason.
My mind veered over to our conversation last night. How dare he think that I was jealous – of my best friend of all people! He actually thought I liked him! Sure, Landon was charming and gorgeous and funny, but he was also shallow, cold, and heartless. I could never like someone like him!

Ben’s voice brought me back to reality, and I zeroed in on him again. “…Win then we’ll grab some pizza. If we lose, we’ll grab some pizza. So either way –”

“I’m tagging along for pizza?” I guessed.

Ben grinned and stroked my chin. “That’s my girl. We’ll be out for about an hour or so, so we can still catch a movie at seven if you’re up for it?”

I nodded, agreeing with him despite my decline yesterday. A movie date with Ben was what I needed right now – a time to patch up whatever slight tear there was in our relationship and a time to relax and get my mind off Anna’s mistake of a relationship.

Class started shortly after, when Landon and Anna had come into class together and sat at the back of the room, holding hands, smiling, laughing, and making me sick.

Mrs. Hanker clapped for our attention and told us to settle down. She went right into the lesson, reminding us about the presentations about fine details about different cultures and religions and backgrounds of different countries the world. We’d have to work on the project in groups of two, and since she loved to ruin our lives, she was picking the partners.

She chose according to how we sat. Since our desks were in six rows of four, she partnered the last and first person in the row with each other.

I turned around slowly to see who I saw stuck with. With cruel fate leading my life so often, I wasn’t even surprised to see Landon wearing a smirk on his face as he sent me a wave.

Great.

“Start your planning!” Mrs. Hanker said, dismissing us to work.

I saw that Anna was paired up with Lindsey Marsh and offered her a sympathetic smile as we crossed paths. We didn’t speak but she did smile back, and I knew that were getting closer.

The smile was wiped off my face by Landon.

“Still fighting?”

“Not really,” I shrugged, trying to not show my distaste to his face.

“Cool,” he nodded, leaning back on his chair. “So what’s our project about?”

I really hoped that he was planning on actually doing work. If he wasn’t, he would have a lot more to deal with than just me being mad about him dating my best friend.

“I was thinking maybe China…” I said, trying to get the ball rolling.

Landon shrugged. “Sure. I don’t care.”

I glared. There was no way. “You should care! We’re doing equal share of the work, mister, and if we fail, you’ll have to deal with me.”

Landon grinned and leaned forward in his chair. “Seems fun. Deal with me, Skylar.”

Aaaaargh! I felt like ripping out the shiny black locks right out of my head! No, scratch that – I felt like ripping his sandy brown hair right out of his scalp!

“Tomorrow,” I said tightly. “My house. Noon. We will work.”

Landon nodded, the smile gone from his face.

Good. He knew I meant business.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After a tight game of ball throwing, jersey-pulling, and sweat triggering, the guys had won 49-45, and celebrated for awhile. I sat with the other player’s girlfriends which included Kelly, who was currently on with Reese.

“So Anna and Landon?” Kelly said to our table, juicy for something to talk about. She obviously knew what she was doing because the other girls buzzed with curiosity and apprehension.

“She’s lucky,” said Crystal, glancing over her shoulder to make sure we weren’t being overheard. “Landon’s totally hot.”

“And a total jerk.”

This comment didn’t come from me. It came from three others girls at the table, Michelle, Sara, and Lisa, who had the misfortune of dating Landon.

“He’s a pig – totally focussed on my ‘shirt’ the whole time,” Lisa said, rolling her eyes. “Poor Anna, all petite and shy and quiet – an easy target. I’m glad I found Chris.” She looked over at her boyfriend who was laughing along with the rest of his team.

My stomach flipped over with the thought of Anna as anyone’s target. It made me wonder if my decision to stop being over protective was right or not.

“So he’s a total waste of time?” I asked them. “That’s what you’re saying, right?”

“Well…” Michelle sang.

“Michelle!” Lisa and Sara exclaimed at the same time.

“What?” Michelle said with a small smile. “He was really sweet sometimes. Like when my mom was sick, and I’d being taking care of the house, and my dad was taking care of my mom, Landon would come over and make dinner for us every night. She was sick for three weeks.”

“Aw!!!!!”

I was surprised to hear myself utter the sound too. I just couldn’t help it. With my dad passing away from cancer a few years back, I knew how hard it was to manage life with my mom trying to help him at home and keep the house running. That was pretty nice of Landon. I was surprised that he could cook, and was willing to cook for a family of three every single night for three weeks.

“Yeah, Landon has his moments,” Sara agreed with a slight smile. “I remember when I was had the flu for a week, he took all my notes for me and brought me tea at lunch time.”

I sighed inaudibly. How could this be? Here I was, having it fixed in my brain that Landon was some jerk that couldn’t be trusted no matter what, but he’d waltz in and do nice things like what the girls were mentioning.

“What about you, Lisa?” Crystal asked. “Was he one hundred percent jerk all the time?”

Lisa frowned. “Well, no… There was that one time when he stayed out to help find my lost puppy, Prince Charming. He was just ten weeks old and Landon spent three house looking for him with me and he found him an hour later, when I’d gone back home to cry…”

“That is soooo –”

All three exes of Landon sighed wistfully. “Yeah…”

I glanced at their boyfriends hanging out with Ben and having no idea that they were thinking back to good moments with their old irresistible boyfriend. How could they sit and do that to them? I knew girls were just hopeless romantics and Landon was ‘Prince Charming’ himself, but it was still wrong…

Of all the high talk of Landon, I slowly started to wonder if he going out with Anna was such a bad thing. Anna was the closest thing to perfect, so he wouldn’t have a good reason to actually dump her.

Maybe their relationship would last.

Maybe I was worrying for no reason.

Maybe Saturday wouldn’t be so bad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*entry*

Diary,
Today I found out some things about Landon and it’s making me crazy. I’m so confused about him! He acts like a super jerk and super flirt, but the girls say he has this total soft side to him! Which part of Landon should I believe in? Which part will he show when he’s with Anna – his jerk side or only his sweet side? Or worse – BOTH!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, those girls stayed with him because he was a total sweetheart, but then he transformed into this thing that dumped over Facebook, text, and IM. Sometimes he would even get his new girlfriend to do it for him! I just don’t know what to do! Anna still won’t talk to me, but I don’t know if I should warn her or let things unfold for themselves…

Cgundrop4 said...
Mar. 22 at 8:29 pm:
Incredible plot and story line that made my eyes never leave the page! I love the names you chose, and I love Landon, he's SOOOO sexy. I usually don't like the over-doing enternal thinking but hunny you have proved me wrong! Thanks for writing a piece that me, as a writer, can be insipredfrom. Keep on writing:) 

105268 said...
Wow! Good job!

LuvLife said...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:56 pm:
O.M.G., WOW! I have never seen such and amazing romance piece of writing since what..2 years? Anyways, keep up the AMAZING work ok? Please write the next chapters to this! If its not so much to ask? I know it's hard with schoolwork and stuff, but Im begging for you to write more! :)

Bookworm1998 replied...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:22 pm :
hey thanks! that means a lot! sorry, but this is the end of Landon and Skylar's story. I meant to finish it here, but I may submit a short little anecdote of them  under a different name if I come up with anything else :)

LuvLife replied...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm :
It's ok! Now that I noticed, I let myself get ahead of me:P but it's a perfect ending! Don't worry, it would be AWESOME if you could write another book or soo?

LuvLife replied...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm :
Oh! It's alright! Sorry, sometimes I get ahead of myself and I don't think straight! :) But that would be perfect! Your such an amazing writer! I can't wait to read other books you might create/ have created! :P keep up the ASTOUNDING work:D

jetta.blissThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Lots of voice... I love it! great job@!!!

talliecaity said...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 7:37 am:
MORE, MORE MORE! YOU'VE DONE AN ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT JOB!

Bookworm1998 replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 11:03 am :
thanks! i'll try to submit the rest up of the book in one submission next week

MusicBabyDoll13 said...
ohmygoodness!! this. is. AMAZING!!

Bookworm1998 replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm :
thanks so much!

Bookworm1998 said...
thanks! i really appreciate it comments!

C.L.Erins said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:51 am:
amazing!!! keep going please!! :)

Bookworm1998 replied...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm :
oops didn't reply properly :P ^^^ this comment made 4 u C.L.Erins