When Hearts Turn

Author's note: I just thought it would be cool to write about something like this. I find hypocrisy hilarious...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I just thought it would be cool to write about something like this. I find hypocrisy hilarious (in most cases), and writing about it is tons of fun! I hope you like it! :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

"The Sigh"

“Ahh.”

I glanced to my left and corked my eyebrow, wondering who or what had caused my best friend, Anna Kales, to sigh in that way again. She gave that sigh when she was happy with the world for no reason at all – just perfectly content; she gave that sigh when she saw an animal’s life being saved when a car would swerve out of the way to hit it; she gave that sigh when she saw a broken heart mend itself and a broken couple came together again; she gave that sigh when her own heart was welled up with a feeling “love.” All those options were crossed out my 20/20 vision, so I knew that she was either looking at or thinking about a boy she liked.

So, who or what was causing my big-hearted friend to sigh in ‘that’ way again? “Who’re you staring at?” I asked Anna, looking around our school courtyard from our spot on the bench. It was lunch, and like most kids, we were basking in the sunlight and eating outside. All of us were out on a mission – taking advantage of the two short weeks of summer heat during the start of school before it got to cold to even check the mail outside. Good ole’ Toronto.

Anna jumped slightly as if she didn’t realize I was there. That was odd, because Anna and I were usually always together. We even lived across the street from each other. We jumped slightly if we weren’t by each other’s sides.
Anna blushed madly, the pink rising to the tips of her strawberry blond hair. “I wasn’t staring at anyone!”

That was hard to believe. I didn’t see a rabbit in the lot praying to the heavens for its spared life, or one of those freshmen that always get picked up by popular guys happily skipping around again, or Reese and Kelly getting back together after a three-year on-again/off-again relationship.
Anna tucked her wispy, yet still bouncy hair behind her ear and turned away from me, focusing on her lunch suddenly. She dug into her salad, munching away like that spared rabbit.

“So, now you want to eat,” I said, picking up my soda and taking a long sip. “Because you didn’t when you were staring at that boy.”
“There is no boy, Skylar.”

She kept her head down so she couldn’t meet my eyes. She wasn’t good at lying when our eyes connected.

“Fine,” I said, pretending to give in. “There is no boy.”

Anna just nodded distractedly to herself. I tried to watch her some more, trying to see if she would risk sneaking a look, but Anna was too smart for that. It would just have to me and my process of elimination.

I scouted the yard that was pretty packed. More than half of them being girls, and knowing that Anna was straight, I deleted about 30 options. That left a mere 15 to go.

Hunched at a picnic table were some members of the chess club, who were busily taking notes of strategies and ignoring the paper airplanes and balls of aluminums foil being hurled at them by the jocks…

The jocks! Anna didn’t go for the smart, totally focused kinds of guys of 6 that occupied the chess club – they were too serious for her, and she needed someone who could kid out and dance with her if she wanted to dance – so the jocks could actually pass.

Like seen before, some they were having fun making fun of the ‘nerds’, but the other few were chatting and laughing amongst themselves. I recognized two of them as the top jocks of the school; the ones that kept girls drooling, giggling, and crying – Carter Jacobs and Landon Brown.

They were acting as if they couldn’t see the lustful looks girls were giving them while they flexed and arm-wrestled their fellow jockeys to impress.

I rolled my eyes at the thought of dating them. Could they even carry a conversation? Nah; they were all about the hand action. Sometimes, I’d remember seeing my innocent and adorable friends get picked up by them just to be slammed back down publicly. I always hated them with a burning passion that would only be fixed by Anna’s gentle touch. At least I knew that Anna wouldn’t stoop so low as to liking those two. The others – the one that weren’t total DBs – were a good bet, though.

Also in the yard were the average guys; smart, but not geniuses; athletic, but not aspiring athletes that only had their bodies going for them; artsy, but not melodramatic art, drama, or music students; friendly and cute, but not too preppy – in other words, my kind of guys. In fact, my boyfriend fit exactly into that group.

I just hoped that Anna’s soon-to-be would too.

Speaking of Anna…

I slid my gaze over to her and found her gaze fixed on the guy. I looked over and swore under my breath. She wasn’t really! She couldn’t be fixing that glassy-eyes, passionate, and determined look on Landon!

As he strutted over to the garbage can to make a show out of throwing away his Coke, Anna let out another sigh.

NOOOOO!

I shook Anna’s shoulders violently and her salad flew off her tray and lap, landing on the grass. But that wasn’t before it hit her sparkling water and it splashed all over her white frilly polo and dark skinny jeans.

She shrieked and stared down at her outfit, surprised. She slowly turned to me. “Skylar…?”

“I am SO sorry!” I gushed right away, pushing napkins to her chest to dry off. “I was just trying to stop you from –”

“Whoa – need a little help?”

To Anna’s pleasure, but my distaste, Landon stood over us, waiting for an answer that he expected. He smiled at both of us, his emerald eyes on Anna’s shirt where the water was making it transparent…the jerk!

Anna nodded right away and Landon flashed her a smile that had once even caused a young teacher at our school to do a double-take.

I couldn’t let this happen to Anna! She was embarrassingly blushing from the cackling coming from our prime enemy, Lindsey Marsh, who already had her cell phone out, ready for pictures and videos. Anna and I had both hated Lindsey ever since she had been there that first moment when Anna and I had met. We’d been tied together by the soccer ball that Lindsey had blasted at both of our faces on the first day of middle school. We both had to go to the nurse’s office to get checked out, but we’d begun a friendship. Sure, Lindsey had brought us together, but she’d also nearly broken our noses and caused us red faces and massive headaches. The last thing Anna needed right now was for Lindsey to have another thing to make fun of her for.

“I can help her,” I said, kicking her salad away and giving her my sweater.

Landon, having seen the accident take place, gave me a look, but I saw the hidden smirk. “You’ve ‘helped’ enough.”

I shook my head, fuming as he talked Anna up and led her away with his signature sly smile. I couldn’t let Anna get snapped up into his trap! But just by the way she was glowing as he led her away, I knew it would be a tough battle.

Cgundrop4 said...
Mar. 22 at 8:29 pm:
Incredible plot and story line that made my eyes never leave the page! I love the names you chose, and I love Landon, he's SOOOO sexy. I usually don't like the over-doing enternal thinking but hunny you have proved me wrong! Thanks for writing a piece that me, as a writer, can be insipredfrom. Keep on writing:) 

105268 said...
Wow! Good job!

LuvLife said...
Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:56 pm:
O.M.G., WOW! I have never seen such and amazing romance piece of writing since what..2 years? Anyways, keep up the AMAZING work ok? Please write the next chapters to this! If its not so much to ask? I know it's hard with schoolwork and stuff, but Im begging for you to write more! :)

Bookworm1998 replied...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:22 pm :
hey thanks! that means a lot! sorry, but this is the end of Landon and Skylar's story. I meant to finish it here, but I may submit a short little anecdote of them  under a different name if I come up with anything else :)

LuvLife replied...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm :
It's ok! Now that I noticed, I let myself get ahead of me:P but it's a perfect ending! Don't worry, it would be AWESOME if you could write another book or soo?

LuvLife replied...
Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm :
Oh! It's alright! Sorry, sometimes I get ahead of myself and I don't think straight! :) But that would be perfect! Your such an amazing writer! I can't wait to read other books you might create/ have created! :P keep up the ASTOUNDING work:D

jetta.blissThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Lots of voice... I love it! great job@!!!

talliecaity said...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 7:37 am:
MORE, MORE MORE! YOU'VE DONE AN ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT JOB!

Bookworm1998 replied...
Jan. 6, 2012 at 11:03 am :
thanks! i'll try to submit the rest up of the book in one submission next week

MusicBabyDoll13 said...
ohmygoodness!! this. is. AMAZING!!

Bookworm1998 replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm :
thanks so much!

Bookworm1998 said...
thanks! i really appreciate it comments!

C.L.Erins said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:51 am:
amazing!!! keep going please!! :)

Bookworm1998 replied...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm :
oops didn't reply properly :P ^^^ this comment made 4 u C.L.Erins