What If Cinderella Didn't Make It?

Author's note: I am SUCH Disney kid. I luv the Disney movies and Cinderella is in my top five (Mulan, The Little...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I am SUCH Disney kid. I luv the Disney movies and Cinderella is in my top five (Mulan, The Little Mermaid, Prince of Eygpt, Beauty & the Beast). So writing based on her is pretty fun for me.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

The Invitation

“Jonathan stopped by,” I said to Ella and Anna as they came inside with their mother and enormous amounts of shopping bags. “Gave this to me to pass onto you.”

Ella snatched it from my hands without a word and showed it to her sister. “It’s an invite to his Halloween party!”

Anna squealed with delight. “Eee! Read it then, Ella!”

“‘Come on out and celebrate Halloween with us!’” Ella read. I had to give her credit, she was reading up to the speed of a fifth grader now. “‘There will be plenty to eat and do. Make sure to bring out your best costume ever and prepare to have fun.’” Ella started reading the date and time and address stuff while I balanced the shopping bags Lady Mai was shoving into my arms. “‘Can’t wait to see you there, Ella, Anna, and…Cindy Rella.’”

“Cindy????”

I dropped the bags on the floor. “‘Cindy?’”

When Jonathan came by I didn’t think he actually meant it! …Well, I guess I did know, but I didn’t think it’d actually be official in writing! Plus I’d kinda forgotten about that part since the whole first part of our conversation was interesting, annoying, and weird.

“Cindy,” Lady Mai said with a disapproving look.

Oh, great. And suddenly this was my fault! Here it comes…

“Why is Jonathan King inviting you to his party?” Anna asked me, forgetting about the fact that her bags were now at my feet on the stairs.

“I don’t know.” And I really didn’t. Thinking back to the number of times I’ve talked to him since the accident when I tore myself away from socializing at school, I noticed that there were few times. Other than the locker incident at school and what happened in the barn, we barely spoke full sentence to each other. Irregardless of that, I felt an urge inside me and I really wanted to go now. Jonathan’s word’s echoed in my mind: ‘Can I get to know you?’

But a single glance at Ugly Toad’s face made me get second thoughts on whether I really could make an appearance at Jonathan’s party.

“Cindy, you cannot just slack on your responsibilities!” she exclaimed, throwing her arms up in frustration as if it’d been done a dozen times.

“Um…”

“On Halloween you need to decorate the house, give out candy, clean the girls rooms – you know how seriously they take their costumes!” Lady Mai said, ticking off the chores. “Including all your regular work with the sweeping and the mopping and the wiping and washing. I’m sorry but you simply won’t be able to attend!”

Ella and Anna clapped with glee. Ugly Toad stood with pride. I slumped up to my room: as usual, my wish didn’t come true.

As I flipped through my textbook upstairs, I heard Lady Mai getting ready to take the girls out for more shopping for their costumes, and I made another wish: I wished that I’d stop wishing so the wishes I wished for wouldn’t end up whisking away wishes away.

~~~~~~

“Ouch!” I wagged my finger back and forth to let the air sink into the new bump I had just caused with my reckless tool using. To avoid getting hurt like me, there are two things you should know:

1) fixing a ceiling hole that gets bigger by the day is hard
2) only use a hammer to fix these holes if you have a First Aid kit on standby.

I suppose waiting a week and a half before doing any work on the hole in my ceiling was foolish, but there just weren’t enough hours in the day for me to catch up!

I wrapped my index finger in a cold cloth and put a bandage over it before I started up again. Just as I was about to pound again, a shriek stopped me from flattening my thumb.

“CINDY!!!!! COME CHECK ON MY BEAUTIFUL COSTUME!”

I hopped off my bed, actually a little bit happy to have an excuse to stop working on hitting all my fingers.

“Ella?” I said when I entered her room slowly. As usual, it was a mess. I noticed a few moments after that I was subconsciously creating a cleaning plan in my head. I shook the crazy out of me and focussed on what she was wearing. “What are you?”

Ella twirled around in her costume happily. “Isn’t it gorgeous?”

I could think of other adjectives to describe her…dress, I think. It was some sort of cross between a jade green and the green that came out of her nose when it was allergy season. If I didn’t know that Ella had an irrational fear of bats, I’d guess that she had pried the wings of a giant one and stitched to the collar of her dress. And maybe the…dress would’ve looked decent if it found a way to cover most of her face which was painted worse than a clown’s.

“So…?”

“Um…pretty,” I lied to her. “You make a great…”

“Wicked witch!” she exclaimed.

And suddenly it all made sense.

“A perfect wicked witch!” I assured her as I backed out if the room.

A wicked witch to all her mirrors…
“Oh, Cindy!” Anna sang from her bedroom. “Come envy me in my outfit!”

Right…

I prepared my eyes for the horrible sight I was about to see and slowly entered Anna’s bedroom. “Let’s see it,” I said, wanting to get it over with it (though I wasn’t sure my eyes were on the same page with me).

Anna jumped into view and I jumped back with a squeak. “Whoa!”

Anna draped a long hideously shaded orange shawl around her bare shoulders. “Lovely, isn’t it?”

“What world are you living in?” I muttered to myself as she skipped around her room in her even worse dress. It was puffing out at the bottom and least half a meter away from her in pink platform shoes. I wanted to see if I could guess what she was supposed to be because it would be quite an accomplishment.

A fairy…

A cross between a butterfly and a human…

Oh, I knew! An ugly evil stepsister!

“If you hadn’t already noticed,” Anna drawled, circling me with her bright coloured ‘gorgeous costume,’ “I’m the Wicked Witch!”

Lucy strutted into the room and examined Ella as she circled her. She stuck her nose up really high before running out of the room. I laughed despite my eyes yelling at me to close and my brain begging me to run from the room. I was actually in agreement with Lucy for once! Studying Anna’s heavily covered and made up face was …interesting. The amateur job hadn’t made a difference really: if she was going for someone who couldn’t decide which style to use for her face, she needn’t use any effort because she always looked like that in the morning. Even I can’t fix a disaster that bad.

“What?” Anna demanded. “What is it? Why are you laughing?”

“Cindy! Come help me add accessories!” Ella yelled, barging into the room. She gasped dramatically when she saw Anna’s costume and staggered back. “You stole my costume idea!”

I didn’t even know how they could identify what they were each going for because it wasn’t easy, trust me on that. It was probably a twin thing they shared, I decided as I backed away to the wall to watch the fun unfold before my eyes.

Anna wagged her finger in Ella’s face. “No, no, no, Ella! This was my idea first!”

Ella shook her head like a maniac. “Noooooo! Mother bought me this dress first and she was there with me! You were in a different store!”

Whoa, whoa, whoa! My ears were still processing. It was possible to get a dress that ugly in a store???? Two questions: how and why?

Anna stuck her chin out so far I swear it was about to hit Ella in the face. “She gave me money beforehand so HA! I got it first! Now you have to return it! I’m the Wicked Witch!”

“No, I’m the Wicked Witch!” Ella said, stomping. “I’m going to win that costume contest and Jonathan’s party this weekend!”

As they argued, my mind wandered to Jonathan’s party. I wondered how it would be. It sounded even more fun as people talked about it in the halls everyday. It was maddening to know that Jonathan had been paying attention to me, and was inviting me to his party but I couldn’t even go! The work just piled up as the party drew nearer – the barn mysteriously turned upside down after ‘someone’ let Chore loose with bags of his food was scattered everywhere, the kitchen was constantly getting herded by the chickens that ‘escaped’ their pen, the twins’ rooms always looked like a tornado hit, and Lady Mai was claiming that our farm sales are slow so I needed to start making more of our products better and faster.

There was no way I was going to Jonathan’s party and I knew it, but something was tugging at the back of my mind for me to find a way – anyway to get there because really, who was I kidding? I still liked Jonathan (still unsure about the locker situation because of how he acted in the barn) and if he had said he wanted to know me better, that was great because I felt the same way.

But how???? That was the question. How in the world would I get all my work done between now – Thursday – and the party? It was this Saturday on Halloween, and I had literally no time.

“Cindy!” Lady Mai scolded, all up in my face.

I took frightful steps back – Lady Mai was not a great sight to see when she was angry and within less than a foot than your face. Actually, she wasn’t a very good sight wherever she was.

“You’re sisters are fighting and you stand there giggling?” she scolded. “Shame, shame, shame: what a shame you are to be in my house!”

My house, mind you!

“Out into the barn! Now!” Lady Mai ordered, pointing her long pointy finger that matched her up-turned nose. “Go take Chore out for some exercise!”

And so the punishment went on.

~~~~~

“What are you going as to Jonathan’s party?”

It was the question going around at every corner I turned and I was getting sick of it. I wanted out! I was on the verge of sticking ear plugs in my ear because it just wasn’t fair that Ella and Anna got to go, but I didn’t! And why I couldn’t go – because I had work that needed to be finished. This was just another wish that would not come true for me; the story of my life; a tell-all predictable in detailed dialogue about how things like this would only ever happen to me, Cindy Rella, the most unfortunate girl at St. Ingrid High School.

Someone tapped on my shoulder. “Found the locker culprit.”

Before I even turned around, I knew by the voice, that it was Jonathan King. I had to compose myself before I turned around because, by now, my wish to forget about him and stop liking him had gone down the drain.

I turned around, trying to look neutral about the fact that he was talking to me. He was holding two hands on a guy a little bit taller than me and had a hopeful smile on his face.

I looked at the guy. “You locked me in my locker?”

He rolled his eyes, probably irritated that he was forced to be answering to me. “Yup. Ella paid me five bucks and I needed lunch.”

Well. That was good enough, I suppose. “Okay.”

“Okay?”

I nodded at him. “Okay.”

He nodded too. “Okay” He turned to Jonathan. “Am I free now?”

Jonathan didn’t look happy about it but he let his friend go. He looked after him as he went and turned to me right away after he was out of sight. “What was that about?”

“What was what about?” I asked him as I started to gather my stuff for my Friday morning classes.

“That!” he exclaimed. “You were so ticked when you thought it was me but now that you know it was Harman, you’re all, ‘Okay.’”

I honestly didn’t think it was that big a deal anymore. Seeing as the thing I was currently ticked about concerned him, and he looked especially cute today, I had other things on my mind.

I shrugged. “I was mad then. I’m not now.”

“That’s it?” Jonathan said.

I nodded. “That’s it.”

That was it. I didn’t have anything left to say even though I really wanted to keep talking to him. I wondered if he felt the same way. Well, he had said that he wanted to know me better… Okay, so he didn’t exactly say that, but he asked if he could know me which was basically the same thing, right? Right?!?! …Maybe I’m just over-thinking this whole thing again… Or maybe by thinking that I’m over-thinking this, I’m really just under-thinking it…

He blew out some air and ran his hand through his shaggy hair. “You are something, Cindy.”

I would have been somewhat offended on other days, but he said it in a cute way, and he looked up and smiled at me too after he said it so it was just a joke.

Probably…

Obviously!

Right?!?!?!

Oops, over-thinking again! Or maybe I’m just under-thinking…

I was so busy over-thinking and under-thinking that I hadn’t even noticed Jonathan say goodbye and leave my view. But that was all right for now because I was blissfully thinking about being ‘really something’ to Jonathan King, the guy I had wished and yet failed to forget about.

This book has 8 comments. Post your own now!

sunnygirlwinx12 said...
NOOO it was so good u cant leave it like that, i think it should be a book thats how good it is but still please add more.

shariccie said...
What a twisted ending! Great job!

lostkitten37b said...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 12:13 am

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

You need to make more! You can't leave it with just her getting caught! That's so sad! And it was so good!!!!

Bookworm1998 replied...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 6:01 am
haha thanks so much! i was thinking of either leaving it like that or adding an epilogue to sum it up, because usually when i have an epilogue, i have a prologue

CarrotTopWriter said...
I love your version of Cinderella, but where's the rest? I hope you post more soon, can't wait to read it!

Bookworm1998 replied...
yea i'll post more soon. thanks for tasking the time to read :)

swimster16 said...
its sounds amazing! its kinda like beastly except yah know, cinderalla. :)

Bookworm1998 replied...
thxanks so much! yea i loved beastly. im pretty sure it was my inspiration. :)