A Future Past | Teen Ink

A Future Past

She was running. She had to get away from them! But where to? She would take the first house she saw. A gunshot jerked her out of her thoughts. They were gaining on her. Silently, she fell into a hole. She opened her mouth to scream but no sound came out. She hit the leaf-covered floor with a THUD. The air was knocked out of her and she slowly began to lose consciousness…

Brie woke up half an hour later. What..? Then she remembered. She had been running, she’d fallen into a hole and had been rendered unconscious. Brie struggled to stand. As she got to her feet, she swayed and groped for something to steady herself with. She looked up and saw the hole she had fallen through. It was no bigger than her waist. How she had managed to fit her hips into the small space was beyond Brie. All she knew was that she had to get out of there. She began by jumping up to grab onto the ground around the hole. Brie reached out and pulled herself up. As soon as she put her weight on it, the ground began to crumble and made a bigger hole. Well, at least my hips will fit through now, Brie thought bitterly as she tried again. After a couple more jumps and pulls, Brie was finally able to hook her foot up on the side and pull herself up. Standing on ground once again, she began to brush off her clothes and look around. She was standing in a grove of redwood trees. Stepping out of the ring of mighty trees she glanced to her right and almost immediately did a double take. There… not five inches from her head, was a bullet mark etched into the tree. Yikes! thought Brie. She cautiously took a step forward. Then Brie remembered what she had said the night before. ...the first house I come to… Suddenly a wave of homesickness washed over her. She stumbled on a tree root sticking up from the ground but the hurt of homesickness was to great to stop her. She hobbled on.

A knock at the door woke up the young, beautiful Ms. Kells at one o’clock in the morning. She padded to the door and opened it to find a young, dirt stained, girl of about fifteen. ‘Brie.’ The girl stuttered. She was shivering madly.

‘Come in!’ Ms. Kells hurriedly ushered the girl into the living room where a warm fire was crackling and flitting around so as to give the house a homely look.

‘Wh-who are…?’ the girl called Brie stammered.

‘I am Ms. Kells. And who, may I ask, are you?’

‘I-I am… Brie.’

‘Yes, I am aware of that Brie.’ Ms. Kell’s voice was painfully sharp to Brie’s cold, tired ears.

‘I’m sorry dear,’ Ms. Kells said. ‘but you must realize that it is one in the morning and I have not had all of my sleep. I am sorry if I sounded harsh just then. Oh, you may call me Marilyn.’ She smiled as if that made it all better.

‘Right. Well, I’ve been… um… tourist.’

‘Excuse me?’

‘I’m a tourist, ‘cept my parents aren’t here.’

‘Yes, I can see that. Where are they?’

‘Home. Yes, they’re at home having a good time but they sent me to this place to get a feel for real life. I’m staying here for a couple weeks, if you don’t mind. They said you wouldn’t. It’s ‘cause I’ve been bad so they sent me…’ her voice trailed off as she glanced up and saw Ms. Kell’s… Marilyn’s eyes staring coldly at her.

‘Did… did I do something?’

‘What dear…? Oh… no you didn’t… I just… was… oh, never mind. Go on.’

‘… sent me here.’

‘No child, the real story.’

‘But, ma’am… Ms. Kells… Marilyn… that is the real story!’

‘No, its not. I don’t know your parents and they didn’t send you here and you didn’t start off on your own.’

‘How do y-you know that?’ Brie demanded. Marilyn’s face grew ashen.

‘I-I-I d-don’t know that. I was just guessing?’ Marilyn could see from the child’s face that she had guessed correctly.

‘Come, Brie. Tell me what happened for real. I need to know.’

‘A-al-alright. I’m running away from some men, a gang. They killed my parents. Now they’re after me.’
Even though it had been a short explanation, Brie was worn out not only from that but from all the events from the day before. Suddenly, Brie was seeing black dots cloud her sight. She dropped to the floor, unconscious. A slight smile came over Marilyn’s face and she dragged Brie into the spare bedroom and laid her on the bed. My work here is finished, thought Marilyn.

Brie woke up later that morning to the smell of bacon and sausage sizzling in a pan and eggs frying in a pan. Feeling refreshed, she folded the covers over off her body and slowly sat up, taking in the morning smell she was so used to. For a second she forgot where she was. But as soon as she stood up and looked around, she remembered. She had been hoping it was all a bad dream. But then, she had never been known for having good luck follow her. More like bad luck. Darn it, she thought and walked out of the bedroom, using her nose to direct her to the kitchen.

When she walked into the kitchen humming ‘Halo’ by Beyoncé, one of her favorite artists, Brie noticed she was not alone. There, already sitting at the kitchen table, was a boy.
‘You are?’ Brie asked impertinently. She was afraid that he had heard her singing.
‘I’m Jordan. What about you?’ Jordan on the other hand thought she was adorable and took a liking to her immediately.
‘I’m Brie.’ She frowned slightly. This, Jordan thought, was also extremely cute. With her above shoulder hair, which was brown with a hint of red, and her little button nose, the frown made her look like… a… very cute girl. But he doubted she would like him if he said that. So he kept silent.
‘I’m spending a couple days here. My parent’s are gone.’ She said, puzzled at his smile.
‘It’s just me.’ She said, as if to assure herself. With that she tossed her head and looked away, then looked right back.
‘How old are you Jordan?’ so maybe she did like him, he thought, no, hoped.
‘Fifteen.’ He replied with that dazzling smile that seemed to throw her off balance.
‘You?’
‘Same.’ There was an uncomfortable silence in which both just stood and stared at each other. Brie looked down at her shoes, then glanced at his plate, which was covered with crumbs. She suddenly wasn’t very hungry anymore. She turned to walk away, but Jordan caught her hand.
‘Wait.’ Jordan said quietly.

As Brie had turned around, Jordan found himself thinking, I can’t let her go! So he grasped her hand and hope she wouldn’t pull herself away. She didn’t. Instead, she began sobbing and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. All Jordan thought was, Awkward. All Brie thought was, I wish I was back home! and then, why am I doing this? He’s a perfect stranger, he doesn’t know anything. Poor guy! She pulled away.
‘Sorry.’ She wouldn’t meet his eyes. Jordan began to think he had done something wrong.
‘Did I…’ but he was interrupted by someone opening and closing the front door.
‘I’m sorry too… I gotta go.’ And with that he turned and left. Brie still had tear stains on her cheeks. Why’d she let him go? What was wrong with her? Why did she hug him in the first place. That was why he left so fast. Then again... he hadn’t exactly tried to pull away when she had… no, he had held on as if he was afraid to lose her… Brie glanced up to see Ms… Marilyn standing in front of her, tapping her foot.
‘Not to interrupt, dear, but who was that with you just now?’
‘No one.’
‘Why are you crying?’
‘Because I’m homesick. You would be too if some gang you didn’t know had just killed the only family you had!’ Brie stomped out of the room, tears once again falling freely down her cheeks. She slammed the door to her bedroom but she didn’t feel any more satisfied. Brie flopped on her bed and cried to her hearts content.

Jordan sat on a rock near the creek. His brilliant smile was gone, replaced by sullenness. Why had he left her to face Ms. Kells? Why hadn’t he stayed to console her? What kind of idiot was he? The kind that let cute girls think he was stupid and walk away. Just then, a figure sat down next to him. Jordan started.
‘Who are…? Oh. Right. What do you want?’
‘What’s the matter?’
‘Nothing.’ Jordan muttered under his breath. He jumped up and began to walk away.
‘Wait. Sit down.’ Indignantly, Jordan sat.
‘Now, what is really the matter?’
‘Other than the fact that I just made myself look like an idiot and probably got that girl to hate me? Other than that? Nothing! Nothing at all!’
‘That girl? Oh, you mean Brie?’
‘How’d you know?’ came Jordan’s sarcastic answer. He was a bit surprised at his sarcasm but his anger got the better of him. He jumped and began to pace.
‘I just can’t do this anymore! I have to do something. Seeya ‘round!’ with that Jordan leapt over a couple of rocks and sprinted into the forest.
The man sat still with a thoughtful look on his face. To most he seemed to be contemplating the sky, but anyone who knew his true nature, would’ve suspected otherwise.

Jordan sprinted back to the house where, only a few moments ago, he’d left Brie, crying, to face Ms. Kells. He raced around to the back door. He raised his hand to knock, but something stopped him. I can’t do this. What if she slams the door closed in my face??? I can’t take that risk. I’m trying to get her to like me. Not hate me! His hand dropped. ‘Ugh! Why? I just… ugh…’ distractedly, he ran his hand through his dark auburn hair and sighed. Then he closed his eyes and started pacing. He was rudely interrupted from his pacing when he bumped into a telephone pole. huh? He blinked, and then shivered. Then a thought crossed his mind. What if? What if? What if she’d seen all that from the window?
‘Now she’ll think I’m more of an idiot than she already thinks I am!’
‘Nah.’ The voice startled him. Had he just said that out loud? He turned to face the voice. It was her. Brie. An embarrassed pink crept up from his neck to his cheeks.
‘Uh, hi… you heard all that didn’t you?’ a small smile formed on her face.
‘Well, yah, sort of.’ That smile! He could sit staring at that smile forever!
‘Wait, what?’ now she had a look of horror on her face.
‘Did I say that out loud too?’ Jordan cringed. He couldn’t believe it! He’d really said that out loud? Oh, brother!
‘Say what? It’s just that your face got all dreamy all of a sudden. So I was wondering what were you looking at?’
Oh, gosh! ‘Um… well… its just that your eyes? They’re the same color as the sky? So I was just thinking how… pretty they are? Yeah.’
‘What were you really thinking?’
Darn. ‘You don’t wanna know.’ Oh, gosh couldn’t he say something that sounded remotely flattering??? What was his problem?
‘No really, I wanna know. Were you thinking about… well, you know… me?’
‘No. I, I mean… yes. But… yah! I was. That’s okay, right?’
‘Yeah? That’s fine? Yeah, its okay.’ he’s blushing! He’s so cute when he’s blushing! Yikes!
‘Wanna walk with me?’
‘Where to?’
‘Oh… anywhere.’
‘Sure. That’d be fun.’
‘Come on then!’
With that they took off. At first it was an awkward silence, but soon they got comfortable and began telling each other about their lives.

Later that evening, when Brie was getting ready for bed, she looked back on that day’s events. I can’t believe I talked with him like that! He’s so, incredibly cute! Oh, my gosh!!! Eeeek! And I told him everything! But maybe he hates me now. No! I’ve lost two important people in my life. I’m not gonna lose him too!!!

While Brie was getting ready for bed and thinking about Jordan, Jordan was getting ready to go on a moonlit walk, and thinking about Brie. I bet she’s not thinking of me and if she is, she’s probably telling herself how much she hates me! But I’ll get her in the end. I lost my parents and I’m not going to lose her! He stomped out of the bedroom and out the front door. As always, he was struck by the beauty of the moon. No more beautiful than Brie, he thought. oh, gosh, I gotta stop thinking mushy thoughts! And with that, he struck out into the forest to see what interesting animals he could find…

When Brie woke the next morning she immediately went into the kitchen in hopes that she would find Jordan there. No such luck. She didn’t want to ask where he was because she didn’t want anyone to know she liked him. It might be dangerous. The wrong people might hear about it. She kept quiet. Then, the door creaked open and Brie looked up to see…

… Jordan was standing in front of Brie. He wished the door hadn’t made a sound, but he couldn’t change that now. She looked up, startled and then the look of astonishment changed almost immediately into a look of sheer happiness. But that quickly changed and she looked down at her hands, worried.
‘What’s the matter?’ Jordan realized he sounded just like that man who’d come and talked with him.
‘What’s wrong?’
‘Nothing,’ Brie replied flatly. ‘Why’d you come?’
‘I… ‘cause… ‘cause I wanted to see you? Is there something wrong with that?’
‘I… no… I guess not.’
‘Why? What’s the matter?’
‘Nothing, I could see you outside talking to him. What’d he say about me? Anything bad? Don’t say anything, I could see him mouth my name. So what did he say?’
‘He just… I don’t know… he was just saying how pretty you are and how I should get to know you better. That’s all. Really!’
‘Oh… yeah? Okay. Just checking…’
‘Why did you run away yesterday when you were in the kitchen?’
‘Cause Ms. Kells doesn’t like me being in her kitchen. So I sneak in, but as soon as I hear her coming, I leave through the window.’ A chagrined look came upon his face. Brie felt a little bad for him. She felt like a policeman or something, interrogating him like this.
‘Oh,’ she said at last, ‘okay, whatever. I was just wondering.’

Later that night, Brie was having trouble falling asleep. Running through her mind was the night she saw her parents killed. For as long as she could remember she’d been put to bed at seven thirty every evening, and when she asked why, her parents answered in sharp tones, ‘It could get you killed.’ She had thought they were kidding. But then, one night, she had sneaked out of her bed at around nine o’clock. She had found that no one was home and that her parents had left a note saying,

you found the note. forget about this note.

go back to bed immediately! go!

love, mum&dad (j)
Brie had been scared. But she saw that they weren’t far away. So she didn’t go back to bed as the note had said. Instead, she followed them… when she had finally caught up to them; she stayed behind just enough that they didn’t notice her. Thinking back, Brie realized she should’ve just gone back to bed. But it was to late for that now. Then Brie saw her parents and a strange boy walk up to a big building. The building was a senior high rise. Huh? Brie remembered thinking, a senior high rise? What on earth? Then she saw her mum run over.

‘Quick, Jake,’ that was her dad’s name, ‘it’s a bomb! Quick, get Jay and run! I’m gonna try to turn it off! Run, NOW!’

‘No, Meg, I’m not letting you. It’s to dangerous!’

‘We can’t just let them die!’

‘They’re going to soon enough. Don’t do it!’

‘Jake, you take him and get out as soon as possible. I’ll come after you! Hurry!’

‘I’m not leaving…

‘Jake! Go!’ And so, Brie’s dad ran up the hill, pulling ‘Jay’ with him, crying all the way. Brie remembered thinking, what is mum DOING? Then she remembered that her mum was an expert in bombs. If she couldn’t stop a bomb, no one could. Brie was close enough to hear the whole conversation but not close enough to make out any figures. Suddenly, there was a huge tremor that went out through the ground. It was so strong that Brie fell down. All she remembered after that was the huge explosion followed by the flash of light as a fire started. Then she heard her dad’s screams and knew that they were never going to make it out alive. She ran as fast and as hard as she could, tears welling in her eyes and streaming down her face. As she got back to the house, she saw a shadow disappear inside. Dirt stained, and dead tired, nevertheless she gathered herself and hurried as fast as she could to her bedroom. There she crawled under her covers and closed one eye, leaving one eye open so as to spot the shadow she’d seen. But Brie never saw the shadow. She fell asleep just before it came in stood over her. It peered closer and closer, leaning so close that Brie could feel his breath in her ear. She sat up with a scream. Immediately whoever had been standing over her disappeared from sight. Breathing heavily, Brie realized that what had just happened could’ve been part of her earlier dream. But Brie was unsure. Then a thought struck her. Was it? No, it couldn’t have been. It wasn’t… Jordan? The thought made her uneasy and she fell asleep again, trying not to think about him…

He couldn’t get her out of his mind. Everything he tried, everything he thought of, somehow always ended up back at her. Suddenly, vivid, colorful images began to fill his mind. Rumble… explosion… fire… mum, gone… dad screaming, ‘get back!’… a girl his age or older falling to the ground crying, screaming… he remembered everything well, but the girl was the most vibrant picture. Why could he remember her so clearly? Why? Then it struck. The girl, brown hair with a tinge of red, big hazel eyes, a tall, slim body… Could it be? But no, it wasn’t… was it? Was it… Brie? Now Jordan was wide awake. He had to find out. Quietly, he slipped out of his bed and put on his shoes. Then he climbed the window.

Jordan hurried to Brie’s bedroom window. Slowly he peeked in. she was asleep, but she was thrashing around, crying out things like, ‘No! Mum, no!’ then she was crying and breathing hard. Jordan was scared. Someone needed to wake her before she killed herself. He had no choice. He was going in.

It took a couple of minutes, but finally he got the screen off the window. Next he had to climb through it, which didn’t take long. Once he was in her room, he began to look around. Finally, his gaze drifted onto her face, her big hazel eyes shining in the moonlight. Hazel eyes, he thought, long brown hair, little bits of red. But he still wasn’t sure. He leaned forward, not sure what this would achieve. His nose got within an inch of hers. I’ve never been this close to her before he thought contentedly. He stood peering at her for a long time. Then, suddenly, as if she could tell he was there, she jerked awake, sat up, and screamed. He panicked and ran silently to the window and then jumped through. He wasn’t sure if she had seen him. He hoped not. If she had known it was him, she might have said something. But she hadn’t, she’d just screamed. He was safe… he thought.

The first thing Brie remembered about last night was the shadow standing over her. She could still feel its breath on her face. She decided to skip breakfast. She wasn’t hungry and besides, she could use some exercise. Brie grabbed her coat and left the house. The first person she saw was Jordan. Something in her mind snapped. Something about the way the shadow had looked at her told her that it was a he, and that he liked her. Heart pounding, she sat down next to Jordan and waited for him to say something about an interesting creature he’d found on one of his early morning hikes. He said nothing. ‘Is something wrong?’ she asked

‘Naw, nothing.’

‘Okay, what is it?’

‘I… nothing.’

‘Right, then I have a question for you.’

‘What?’

‘Did you sneak into my room last night and were you staring at me and did you disappear out the window?’ her voice was demanding and Jordan found himself avoiding her gaze.

‘Well did you?’

‘I… just… I… yeah.’

‘Yeah?’

‘Yes! Okay? Yes, I sneaked into your room and yes I disappeared out of your window and, okay, YES I was staring at you! Happy now?’

‘Yeah, sorry. I didn’t mean to…’

‘Whatever.’

‘What did I do? You were the one sneaking around in my room!’

‘Why didn’t you tell me who you were?’

‘I… did… what do you mean?’

‘Why didn’t you tell me more about our parents?’

‘Our?’

‘Your, I meant your!’

‘I don’t know why you care! Why do you care?’

‘I… oh, forget it. Never mind. Has any one told you how impossible you can be?’

‘Shut up! I hate you! I can’t believe I ever liked you!’ and with that, Brie slapped Jordan hard across the face.

‘That is for coming into my room last night,’ SLAP, ‘and that is for getting me to like you!’ ANOTHER SLAP, ‘and that,’ at this point Brie began to sob, ‘is for liking me back and never telling me and then running away from me every time something gets awkward!!!’ Now she was screaming. ‘Now go away and never talk to me or look at me or think about me AGAIN!!!’ Brie ran, crying, sobbing, back to the house. Jordan touched his cheek where she’d slapped him three times. Suddenly all the times people had made fun of him or hurt him came back to him and he cried out with rage. He had nowhere to go except to by the stream. So that’s where he went.

As Jordan was making his way to his favorite spot near the creek, he was thinking about Brie. Why didn’t she tell me about the explosion! And are mum and dad really gone? I mean, mum, definitely, but dad? He was far enough away that he wasn’t killed. Does Brie know that? Was she making it up when she said they both died in a fire? Jordan was confused and angry. As soon as he got to his rock, he sat down without a glance behind him. Suddenly, a shadow loomed over him but he didn’t notice. It stayed looking for several seconds and then said quietly, ‘You don’t know the whole story.’ Jordan jumped around to face the shadow and saw…

‘Who are you,’ Jordan demanded angrily, ‘and how long have you been standing here?’

‘Not more than a few seconds.’

‘But who are you?’

‘I am… your father.’ The man answered quietly.

‘I knew it! I mean… wait… you? But you’re chasing… Brie.’

‘Well, yes… you see… I am also her father.’

‘No kidding! So who else are you related to? Let me guess, we also happen to be related to… say… George Washington?’

‘No.’

‘Well, then? Who?’

‘Just trust me. You two are brother and sister. But more than that… you two are… twins!’

‘No!!! But, but, she likes me! This is the first girl I’ve had who actually likes me! Or… at least… used to like me! Gosh, nobody is ever gonna like me! It’s hopeless! Wait… she doesn’t know?’

‘No, and she can’t. You can’t tell her. Alright?’

‘Oh… fine. I’ll try not to. But I’m not making any promises!’

‘Right.’

‘So… anything else I need to know?’ And Jordan’s dad began to explain everything.

‘You and Brie were born in a barn. Literally. We had just been on a mission and she was pregnant…’

‘That’s dangerous to the babies’ health, dad!’

‘Yes, she knew that. But she risked death to…’

‘Our death!’

‘Yes… I know. Now will you stop interrupting?’

‘Oh, sorry dad.’

‘It’s all right. She risked death to go on that mission. We needed the money, you see, and…’

‘So you… right, sorry.’
‘And we needed work, so we took the first job that came our way. Which turned out to be dirty work. But we took it because we figured, if there were bombs, your mother could disassemble them in no time. Big mistake. Got her killed. Anyway, we kept going on missions but had to pay a babysitter and so we lost more money than we gained.

Finally, when you and Brie were old enough we left you home alone and let you think it was a date. That story got old fast because nobody goes on dates every night. Nobody normal anyway. And then, you decided to come with us. So then we started putting Brie to bed early every night. But she got curious and then she looked and found the note and everything changed. Of course that was the night your mother died. I just wish Brie hadn’t been there to see it. Then we could’ve told her that she died in a car crash or something less illegal. But what’s done is done. And now she’s scarred for life. Earlier today when she got mad at you… she was just upset because she was afraid she would lose you. She loves you. Too bad that can’t happen. But at least you’re related. She looks up to you. Remember that. When she gets mad at you its because she feels like you don’t care and your not looking after her, which you will need to start doing pretty soon here. So that’s the story.’

‘She thinks you are part of a gang that killed her parents.’

‘Yes, I realize that. But I have to go after her anyway.’

‘She’s faster than she looks. And she’s good with endurance.’

‘Right.’

‘Well, I gotta go now.’

‘Don’t tell her anything. Anything! Remember that!’

‘Okay, I will.’ And with that, Jordan took off down the road, towards Brie…

Brie was in the house sobbing. She kept playing and replaying the scene in her head. Why hadn’t he said sorry??? Why? The least he could’ve done was console me but he didn’t do that either, he got angry at me! For nothing!!! Brie was determined to forget about it. Instead, she decided to take a walk. As she was walking through the living room where she’d first met Ms. Kells, Brie realized that she hadn’t seen Ms. Kells in a while. In fact, it was almost like she was never there. Brie hadn’t seen her since the day when Jordan, just the thought of him made her shudder, had left through the kitchen window. The wimp, she thought. Then, Stop it! I’m not thinking about him! So she threw open the door and marched outside.

It was a beautiful day outside. The flowers were brilliant, the breeze refreshing, making the sun feel just right on her back. Brie almost wished she could take back that fight. But no! I was right to slap him and say those things! She tried to make herself believe it, but her brain and heart weren’t buying it. Well, you don’t expect me to go say sorry to him do you? She demanded. But, it wasn’t nice of him to not stick up for me. ‘Course, I guess it wasn’t right for me to blow up at him like that. But I’m still not saying sorry! With all her emotions doing somersaults and loop de loops in her stomach, she decided the only way to let go was to run. So run she did. She ran through the fields, through the forest, by the creek, then back up to the house and started over. But as she was running, she felt something as if someone was watching her and running just a little bit behind her. She stopped. Behind her, a leaf crackled. She whirled around but saw no one. So she took off running, but this time it wasn’t for fun, this was a chase. She raced out of the forest, looking for a place to hide. She was in a field. She saw no hideouts, nothing. But then she spotted a little hole big enough to fit through. As soon as she got there, she dove in. Brie looked up and waited for the men to pass. As soon as she heard voices, she tried to quiet her breathing. The men were talking about her.

‘I swear she came into this field. I saw her run into it and then she just disappeared! I swear!’

‘Naw, you were just imaginin’ things. Forget it!’

‘Come on guys. Lets keep going.’ As soon as the crackling leaves stopped and she couldn’t hear the men talking, Brie crawled out of the little hole. This time, she managed to get out immediately instead of after the fourth or fifth time. A triumphant smile came over her face but it disappeared as soon as it had come. She had to get past them to get to the house. That was a problem. Suddenly, she heard voices.

‘Stop right there!’

‘Hey you, girl, come over here now!’

‘Don’t think you can get away now. We’ve got you!’ That was all Brie needed. She took off running up the hill towards the house. Breathing heavily, Brie managed to get up the hill. Then she stumbled on a root sticking out of the ground and fell to the ground. As soon as she heard the shouts of the men, she jumped up, steadied herself, and ran up the remainder of the path. Finally reaching the house, Brie hurled open the door and rushed into her room. Ms. Kells was standing there, as if waiting for her.

‘Honey, you okay?’

‘Three men, at least… I think it was three; it could’ve been more… I didn’t really notice… they were chasing me and I only just made it here. Please don’t let them get me! They can’t have me. I won’t tell! I really won’t!’

‘Tell what, dear?’

‘What? Oh… nothing! But please help me!’ with that, Brie collapsed on the bed exhausted and scared. She didn’t want to, but she couldn’t help it. Soon she’d spilled the whole story out to Ms. Kells. She told her every little thing that she hadn’t told her before. Ms. Kells nodded sympathetically every few sentences but other than that she didn’t really act sorry for Brie. Finally Brie just collapsed and said, ‘I’m gonna pack. I don’t want you to have problems with the men. I’m sorry for any trouble I caused.’

‘You’re not going.’

‘But, but I have to!’

‘No. You can’t. At least wait until tomorrow. It’ll be safer then.’

‘Oh… oh, alright.’ But what Brie was thinking was that she would leave that night and they would never hear from her again. What she didn’t know was that Ms. Kells guessed what she was going to do.

‘I must go do some things child. You rest.’ Ms. Kells said as she left the room.

And so, while Ms. Kells was ‘busy’, Brie decided to plan out the evening. She decided that since they would expect her to leave later at night, she would sneak out at around seven thirty. But while she was planning, so was Ms. Kells and she was talking to a certain shadow…

‘She wants to run away tonight. She says she doesn’t want to put me in any danger.’

‘Let her run away. She won’t get far. My men and I will be waiting for her. Trust me.’

‘Alright.’

‘Good, I’ll see you later tonight. Get ready for a confrontation. And Ms. Kells…’

‘Yes?’

‘…thank you.’

‘Oh, you’re very welcome, Jake.’

Later that night, after a delicious supper of baked potatoes and steak, Brie began to pack. She had to pack lightly because she was afraid she’d be weighed down and she wouldn’t make it very far. She still hadn’t decided where she was going. But she knew it would be far away from this place. Far away from the gang, and even Ms. Kells, and… well… okay, she admitted it. ‘I’m gonna miss Jordan. Even after the fight,’ she realized, ‘ I really don’t wanna leave without him. But… I’m going to. I don’t care about him anymore. He’s just a guy. I can’t go falling in love with every boy I set my eyes on!’ And after that, Brie really believed she didn’t care. From that moment on, she didn’t think about him at all. She was focused on leaving. In fact, she was so focused, that she didn’t see the shadow pass by her window and then disappear as quickly as it had come…

Jordan couldn’t believe it. She says she’s gonna miss me; then she says she doesn’t care about me! Gosh! I wish she would make up her mind! Frustrated, Jordan went back to listening. But by that time, she had finished talking to herself. Well, good riddance. He would help her escape to make sure she left. For good. Jordan forced himself to stop thinking about her and went to check out the situation in the kitchen…

Jordan had heard the conversation earlier so he wasn’t surprised to hear them conversing about Brie and her plan. They decided he would leave earlier than Ms. Kells
had said to just in case. Then a door creaked open and slammed shut. His dad had left the building…

Brie was surprised no one came to check on her. Scared and excited at the same time, Brie crept over to the window, which was open, a crack. Silently, she swung it open and slid out. She dropped soundlessly to the ground and sneaked around the house. Just as she was going to run… she glanced up to see the man himself looking in the opposite direction. Immediately she turned out of his sight, and then took off running the opposite direction. Suddenly she heard shouts from above her. But she didn’t stop. In fact she began running faster than she’d ever run before. Deep into the forest… not stopping, not looking back, just running, running…

She had left. Jordan was worried. That meant they had left too. He had to find her. Slipping on his runners, he sped out the door. As soon as he had reached the edge of the forest Jordan stopped to listen. Sure enough he heard voices calling things like, ‘Stop!’
‘It’s no use running away! We’ll get you eventually!’ so Jordan took off towards the voices.

Brie was still running when she accidentally tripped on a tree root. She fell headlong into the dirt. The voices got louder and in a split second Brie jumped up, brushed herself off, and began running once more. She’d just gotten going when she came to a field. What to do? Where to hide? she thought anxiously as the men started getting nearer. She couldn’t see anything so she did the best thing she could. She ran. And ran. And ran… until she came to the same hole she had used last time she was being chased. So, running as fast as possible, she darted towards the hole and slid in just before the men came out into the field. For the second time she stayed absolutely quiet as they passed. When they had finally left completely, she crawled out of the hole surveying the field, trying to see where they had gone. As she looked around, a familiar voice piped up, ‘Hey.’ Brie jumped and turned. There standing before her, was Jordan. Before Brie could scream, Jordan had jumped forward and wrapped a hand around her mouth.

‘Don’t be scared. Trust me!’ he removed his hand from her mouth.

‘Trust you? After all you did to me? You’re asking me to trust you?’ she demanded indignantly. A pained look came over his face but it vanished almost immediately.

‘I… look, I’m sorry, but I need to leave. Sorry.’

‘Wait… there’s something I have to tell you… but not here. I need to take you somewhere else so I can be sure you won’t run away.’

‘O…kay? Wait… why am I trusting you again?’

‘Because I like you? Not that it could happen anyway, but, just for the record, I like you. A lot. So just come on!’

‘But…’

‘Hey! Behind you! They’re coming back!’ Jordan shouted. That got Brie moving. What else could she do? Let them get her? Not happening! she thought. So she kept running. Panting, they both reached the top of the hill. There, Jordan stopped, out of breath and said, ‘Wait.’ Then he reached for Brie’s hands and pulled her towards him. He said, ‘I can’t take any chances. I don’t want you to run away.’ Brie looked around.

‘Wait… there were no guys were there? You tricked me!’

‘Just to get you to come with me. Otherwise you wouldn’t have! I just know it.’

‘Oh, fine. What do you wanna tell me?’

‘Well, it’s just that… well, the gang leader? He’s… he’s my… dad.’

‘What? And I trusted you? I can’t believe… You set me up! Didn’t you? You told him where I was! I bet he’s coming here this very minute! He is, isn’t he!’

‘No, he’s not! But now that I told you that, I have to show you something. So you have to come down to my… house.’

‘You promise you’re not tricking me?’

‘Sure, yeah. I promise.’ He said reluctantly.

‘All right. Lets go.’ So off they went.

As they were sidling down the hill so as not to be seen by anyone, Brie was thinking over the day and all that had happened. If she hadn’t fought with Jordan none of this would’ve happened. Brie almost started crying but just then Jordan looked her way, so she held back the tears. Just then Brie realized that they were walking in the direction of where she’d lived.

‘Where are we going?’ she demanded.

‘To my house.’

‘This is where I used to live.’

‘Not directly. It’s right next to mine. You’ll see.’

‘Oh, whatever okay.’ And they kept walking. Then Jordan said, ‘Alright, here it is. I live in a little shed sort of thing. In here, quick!’ as he vanished into a little shed about the size of Brie’s bedroom. She followed noiselessly. As soon as they had disappeared inside, they heard a door open and close and suddenly three shadows emerged from the walls. Brie was surrounded and Jordan was standing back against the wall with a sad look as if he was afraid she would think he was betraying her. And that’s exactly what she thought. Which she let him know.

‘You said you weren’t tricking me! And yet… what’s this??? I can’t believe I trusted you!’ and with that she broke down crying. Jordan looked like he could kill someone.

‘You told me you weren’t gonna come, you were gonna let me take care of it! Now it looks like I set her up! Idiots! I should’ve known.’ Then Jordan got quiet as someone else stepped into the room. ‘Dad.’

‘Son. Where is she?’

‘She’s right there, in front of you!’

‘Oh, right. Alright, Brie come with me. Now. If you come without fighting me, I won’t hurt you. Otherwise…’ an astonished look came over Jordan’s face.

‘Dad… you wouldn’t!’

‘Shush.’ And with that, the man took hold of Brie and led her to the house and into her room. There, he dismissed the three men who stood behind him and then said to Jordan, ‘Go get Ms. Kells in here please.’ As soon as Jordan left the room, the man said, ‘Brie, I believe we need to have a talk.’

‘I wasn’t gonna tell! I promise!’

‘It’s not that. It’s just that… well, I’d like to wait ‘til Jordan comes back.’ With that he hollered, ‘JORDAN! Have you found her yet?’ and just like that Jordan reappeared with Ms. Kells behind him.

‘Hello Ms. Kells, come in. How are you doing?’

‘What’s going on? What’s Brie doing here? Does she know?’

‘Do I know…’

‘I thought you’d be pleased but I can see…’

‘What is going…’

‘I told you not to…’

‘WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT’S GOING ON!!!’ Brie shouted at last.

‘No need to shout!’

‘Sorry.’ Brie said in a quiet voice, ‘but, please what’s happening?’

‘Right, well, I was going to tell you something. I was going to tell you that… well, I’m your dad.’

‘No! But… Jordan? He’s your son.’

‘Exactly. So you and Jordan are…’

‘Brother and sister??? You’ve gotta be kidding me!’

‘Yeah, well, get this Brie, not only are you and I brother and sister, apparently, we are also… twins!’

‘Oh. My. Gosh no. Not possible! I’m… you’re… we’re… I can’t believe… all this time! You knew all this time and you didn’t tell me!’

‘No. I didn’t know ‘til yesterday. See, after we fought, I went to the little stream and he,’ here Jordan gestured to their dad, ‘found me and told me everything and then told me not to tell you. I’m sorry, I would’ve but he said I couldn’t. Sorry.’

‘All this time I liked you. A whole bunch. That’s why ‘it couldn’t work out’. I get it now. But still! How could you??? You were the first boy I thought I could ever like… and now I have to find someone else.’

‘Well, I like you too and now I have to find someone else too. So there, we’re even.’ By that time, Jake, their dad, and Ms. Kells had left the room, leaving them to talk.

‘But Brie? Just know that I’m never, ever gonna let anything happen to you! And if you’re having any problems just tell me. I’ll always be there for you. I’m gonna have to make up for all the years I wasn’t there.’ And with that, the two took each other’s hands and they walked out of the room together ready to face any and all obstacles that came their way, together.

the end.

Epilogue.

One year later.

Brie and Alex walked into the room, which was full of dancing bodies. Making their way to the back, they found Jordan standing and talking to Ali. They’d been friends for a long time, but now Brie was afraid something was going on with them. They didn’t stand close anymore, and they only talked to each other if they had to. Now was one of those times. After finding out Jordan was her twin brother, Brie had become very protective of him. Yet, he wouldn’t talk about Ali with Brie, which offended her. And now, because of this girl, Jordan was becoming more and more distant… What was Brie going to do?