Love Triangles Can Have Curves | Teen Ink

Love Triangles Can Have Curves

By DEROSSETT BRONZE, hampton, Virginia
DEROSSETT BRONZE, Hampton, Virginia

“One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching.”

“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today”

Author's note: I hope you like this book, It's actually only the second book I've posted on Teen Ink. If you liked it, then you might want to try my other book, Teen-age Dream.

“A touchdown for Thorne High school!” the home side of the football stadium erupted into cheers. I could see my sister, Hailey the head cheerleader; form a pyramid with the other cheer leaders. In the game we were at neck and neck with the score and were getting ready for the final field goal that would win us the game. Then all of a sudden I hear a scream. I turn my head just in time to see Hailey plummet from the top of the pyramid to the ground. My heart lurches and I take off running towards her.
“Heaven, Heaven!” my best friend Lauren calls as I speed toward the spot where my sister lay whimpering. Up close I can see that her arm is bent at an unnatural angle and she is crying out in pain. I try to help her but Lucas Narby, the Thorne High School Quarter back grabs my arms and half-drags me away from my sister whispering, “She’ll be okay babe,” in my ear.
Normally I would have told him not to call me babe and to get his hands off of me but all I could think of right now was Hailey. Hailey, who had just fallen from a seven foot pyramid and was being set on top of a gurney that would take her to an ambulance and drive her to the hospital. I tried to struggle from Lucas’ grasp but his hands only tightened. I screamed out her name, but no one paid any attention, they just stared at my sister’s limp body as she was swept into the ambulance.
My breath sharpened and my heart rate accelerated as I thought about what could have happened to my sister. Was she badly injured? Was she in shock? Could she ever cheer again? Is she going to be okay? Tears rolled down my cheek as I worried about her. Lucas raised his thumb and wiped my tears away. I had forgotten that he was there. I shoved him off of me and ran for the principal’s office where I could call my parents. I heard Lucas call out for me but I kept running, I knew that he would follow me but at the moment I didn’t really care.
I raced into the office and slammed the door shut behind me. I walked up to Mr. Stanton, our school principal.
“You should call your parent and tell them about your sister, and to meet her at the Hampton community hospital,” he said. I nodded words unable to come to my mouth. I walked over to the phone and punched in my mom’s cell phone number. My Mom was at a meeting in city hall discussing transportation systems for the city. It rang two times and then I heard my mom’s voice on the phone, “what is it Heaven I’m kind of busy at the moment.”
“Mom,” I sobbed,” Hailey’s been hurt, she fell off the top of the pyramid and they took her to the hospital.”
“What! How badly was she hurt? Which hospital did they take her to?” my mom asked sounding frantic.
“She was taken to the Hampton Community hospital, and it looked like her arm was in the worst pain. I think she fell on it wrong,” I said. “I’ll be at the hospital as soon as I can. Do you need anyone to pick you up or can you get a ride?” she asked.
“I’m pretty sure I can find someone to give me a lift, I’ll see you at the hospital.”I soothed. We said goodbye and then hung up.
“Are your parents going to the hospital?” Principal Stanton asked. I nodded.” Do you need a ride?”
“No thanks, I get one of my friends to drive me, you have other priorities here,” I declined.
“It’s not really a hassle. Are you certain?” he persisted.” Yes, but thank you for the offer,” I said. He narrowed his eyes but said no more. I walked out of the office.
In the hallway Lucas and his “posse” were waiting. Seeing me, Lucas stepped closer and put his arm around my shoulders,
”Hey baby, need a lift to the hospital?” He asked. I pulled his arm off my shoulders,
” I’d rather walk,” I spat in his face. As I started to walk away he grabbed my wrist and pulled me back against him.
“Now, now there’s no need to get snappy.” He said. I struggled in his grasp, but he was strong. I looked up and said,
“Go to hell!” I saw a flicker of anger cross his face before it was immediately smoothed out.
“I just want to get you to the hospital safe and sound. It’s dangerous for a girl as pretty as you to be walking around at this time of night.” He said as he steered me to his car.
“I’ll be fine on by own,” I said as he opened the passenger door to his enormous jeep.
”Get off of me!” He paid no attention to me and just kept on shoving me into the jeep.
“Stop!” A voice from behind us called. Lucas whirled around, taking me with him. Owen Zepher stood in front of us a calm expression on his face.
“What do you want Raptor? This is none of your business,” Lucas snarled. Owen didn’t even flinch.
“Actually I was just coming over here to ask if Heaven wanted a ride to the hospital.” He stated calmly. I breathed out a breath I didn’t know I was holding.
“Yes. Yes I do need a ride, thanks for asking.”I tried to pull away but Lucas had a death grip on my arm. “Lucas let go of my arm.” He didn’t, he was too busy glaring at Owen to notice my complaint.
“I think she asked you to let go of her.” Owen stated calmly, but forcefully, ”I’d hate to make a complaint with Mr. Stanton that you took one of the students against their will.”
“You say a word about this to your coach or mine and I will take you down.” Lucas said. Then he let go of my arm, and I ran away from him and to Owen. I was so glad to be away from Lucas, and with my best friend.
“I’ll see you tomorrow at school Heaven.” He said with a smirk. I felt my heart plummet all the way down to my feet. Owen couldn’t help me then. He went to a different school called Colby High School. Colby is the school that my school, Thorne High School, has had a rivalry with for about thirty years. We don’t quite know how the feud started we just know that both schools hate each other.
I turned around and started walking to Owen’s car, trying my best to ignore Lucas’ last comment. Owen was right behind me. We got in his car, and started driving to the hospital. We sat in silence, him looking at the road, and me looking out the window. Once we pulled up to the front entrance to the hospital he spoke,
“Tell your sister I said get well soon.”
“I will, and thanks for back there, I don’t know what I would have done.” I said.
“You need to stand up to him and tell someone,” he said. I sighed, this wasn’t the first time I had gotten the “tell an adult” speech. He knew why I couldn’t do that, yet he insisted on making a fuss every time Lucas harasses me. Lucas can do almost anything he wants and get out virtually unpunished because my school doesn’t want to lose their precious Quarter Back. So you see even if I did have the guts to tell a teacher, she wouldn’t believe me.
I got out of the car and shut the door. Once I walked into the emergency room I could immediately see that something was wrong. My first hint was that my mom was pacing up and down the length of the room. Her facial expression was one of extreme worry, and she was whispering under her breath what sounded like a prayer.
I walked up to her; as soon as she saw me hurried up to me, and filled me in on what was going on.
“Honey, I have some bad news, Hailey has broken her arm, and she is going to get a cast. She won’t be able to cheer for six months.” She stated.
“SIX MONTHS! How are we going to tell her? This will crush her mom, that’s almost all of the cheering season!” I half-screeched.
“Yes I know that honey and we will just have to tell her that together.” My mother said, “and will you please lower your voice.”I looked around. A few people were staring at us.
“Sorry,” I said to her, “we should go check up on her now.” We walked into her hospital room. In side Hailey was laying on her face with a normal expression on her face.
“Knock, knock.” I said as I entered the room. When she saw me a smile spread across her face. Hailey and I had a bond that was stronger than normal sisters. We never fought and she could always tell when something was wrong.
“How are you?” I asked.
I’m okay, I’ll be better when they take this stupid thing off my arm though.” She said with a smile. I frowned, knowing what had to come next I decide to go straight out and tell her.
“Hailey,” I began, “they aren’t going to take the cast off your arm.”
“What?” Hailey said. A look of confusion came across her face.
“You broke your arm Hailey; you have to wear that cast for six months.” I stated.
“How am I going to cheer with this cast on?” she said still not getting it.
“You aren’t going to be able to cheer.” My mom said in a soft voice.
“What?!” Hailey cried in pure outrage, “I’m the team captain! How will the squad be able to cheer without their team captain!?”
“They will have to find a replacement, because while you have that cast on, you will not be cheerleading!” My mom said in a much firmer voice.
Hailey and Mom continued to bicker for the next few hours. Not that it would have done Hailey any good. Once Mom had made up her mind, there is nothing that can sway her. Once the three of us had gotten home I immediately proceeded to jump into my bead and fall asleep.

Monday morning I got up and groggily got ready for school. I’d gotten to bed at around 2:30 last night. I asked my mom if I could stay home from school but of course she said no. Hailey was still supposed to be in bed for the next few days. Owen came by and asked me for a ride. I readily agreed and we set off for school.
“So, what are you going to do about him?” Owen asked. There was no need to say Lucas’ name, we both knew who he was referring to.
“There is not much I can do right now. Telling an adult would be pointless, I’ll just rush to classes and stay close to teachers.” I said
“Teachers won’t always be around Heaven, you need a backup plan.” He stated. It never crossed my mind what I would do if I was in that situation. I should probably take a self defense class just to make sure I had a little edge.
After a long period of silence we finally pulled up to the school.
“Thanks.” I said to Owen, and then I put my hood over my head and made a dash for the main entrance so that Lucas and his friends could not see me. Once safely inside, I made a beeline for the girls bathroom, where I waited for a few minutes to let the halls clear.
When I was sure everyone had gone to class I walked over to the next hall where my locker was. When my locker was in sight my stomach turned upside down. Waiting for me beside my locker was Lucas and a group of guys from the football team.
“I’ll see you guys later, there’s something I have to do here first.” Lucas said. The boys snickered and then walked off to their classes. I ignored them and went to open my locker. Once all the boys were out of sight Lucas turned to me and put his hand on the locker door behind me. I was trapped in the little space he gave me. He put a hand on my shoulder and turned me around to face him.
“Did you get to the hospital safely last night?” He asked. I tried to look down but he caught my chin with his free hand and forced me to look up at him. His eyes were cold and his jaw was set. He obviously did not agree with my choice in friends.
“That’s none of your business,” I snapped.
“Oh but it is, by not accepting my offer for a ride it has officially become my business.” He stated, as if that would be a reasonable explanation.
“No, I still think it is not, so if you’ll excuse me, I need to get to class.” I said in the snottiest voice I could make.
“I think you have a few minutes to spare,” he said as he leaned forward and kissed me. It wasn’t a nice kiss, but a hard and hungry kiss. I wasn’t going to let this happen so I pulled fist back, then shot it forward so that it hit him square in the gut. It must have hurt because he bent over and groaned. I took my chance to grab my books and run to my next class. At lunch I sat with my best friends Lauren Gumbert, and Taya Mitchell.
As I started to eat my lunch I saw that both Lauren and Taya were staring at me with shocked expressions.
“What?” I asked.
“Well, aren’t you going to tell us about it?” Lauren asked.
“Tell you about what?” I asked again.
“You making out with Lucas Narby, duh.” Taya explained. I was infuriated.
“WHAT!?” I half- yelled.” WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT!?” I was hysterical.
“Lucas was bragging about it in History, so it’s true?” Lauren asked. I flushed red. Knowing Lucas almost the whole school knows about it now.
“That is only partly true,” I told them, “yes, Lucas kissed me, but no I did not kiss him back. I did however punch him in the gut to make him stop.” I finished
“That’s the Heaven I know.” Declared Taya
“Yep, did exactly what I thought she would.” Lauren stated with a smile.
“That’s not the problem though, I’m guessing that Lucas did not brag about getting his butt kicked by a girl, He probably bragged only the parts he liked, and with a very big imagination.” I said with worry.
“Oh shoot you’re right, now it looks like he lead you on to him, and made you want to kiss him.” Taya said with a shiver of dread. I put my head down on the table in misery.
“I guess we will just have to spread a new roomer around that Heaven then proceeded to punch him in the gut, and that if he ever kisses her again she’ll knee him a little bit lower.” Lauren said with a laugh. Of course I had to laugh at that as well because just the thought of Lucas doubled over in pain made me smile. I know it’s kind of mean, but that’s just the way I am. Plus he’s a jerk so he totally deserves it.
I managed to avoid Lucas until the end of school. I was walking out of the entrance to school when I saw Lucas and a bunch of other football jocks hanging out in the parking lot. I tried to hide my face, but they zeroed in on me. They surrounded me in a half circle, with Lucas’ car behind me. I had nowhere to hide.
Lucas walked up to me with his two best friends, Adam Sharp and Jason Ike right behind him.
“How about we all go for a ride Heaven?” Lucas suggested. I glared at him.
“How about you go F*** yourself?” I snarled. One of the guys chuckled. I sent him a glare that made him abruptly stop. Lucas sighed.
“I had a feeling that would be your answer.” He said as he gave Adam and Jason a slight nod. They both grinned and stepped forward. Each grabbing one of my arms, they towed me towards Lucas’ gigantic jeep. I hissed and snarled at them but they kept on pushing me towards the jeep. Jason gave me to Adam, who picked me up and put me in the jeep, and got into the driver’s seat. Lucas came around to the other side of the car and sat down beside me, with Adam on my other side. Jason started the car, and we pulled out into the parking lot.
“Now I would suggest that you be a little nicer to us considering the situation you are in.” Lucas stated,”By the way, punching me was not the best I idea,” he said as he slapped me.
“OW!” I screeched as I lifted a hand to my face. He smiled.
“Now that that is out if the way, we can get down to business.” Lucas said, “First of all, you will not be spreading that roomer I heard about. Is that clear? We’ve already had a little talk with your friends, and I doubt that they will be saying anything about it any time soon.” He smiled.
“What did you do to them?” I screeched. Out of nowhere his hand came out and slapped me again. Hard. I screamed.
“You will not speak unless I have told you to. Is that understood?” I nodded mutely. A single tear ran down my cheek. Lucas wiped it with his thumb as I sat rigid.
“Now second, There will be no more of that guy that you seem oh so into, just me, you’re mine now, understand?” I just stared at him like he was crazy, maybe he was?
“UNDERSTAND!” He yelled. I nodded stiffly. He started smiling again. Finally, we had pulled up to my house and Adam let me out. As I walked up the steps of my front porch I could hear all three boys laughing. Then Lucas popped his head out of the jeep,
“Oh yeah don’t tell anyone about our little ride, or me and my friends will have a little fun with Lauren and Taya.” He said with an evil smirk. I turned away from him and ran into my house where I proceeded to walk straight into my room so my mom and sister would not see me crying.
I never cry. I mean never. The only other time I cried like this was when my dad died last year in a car accident. I had been broken, just like now. My heart felt like it was being ripped to pieces. Owen has been my best friend since 3rd grade, when he moved here. He wasn’t just my best friend, he was more than that and I could never see him go. I figured breaking the news to Owen would be best by text since I wouldn’t have to look into his eyes, and he wouldn’t hear by voice break as I said the words.
I got out my phone and texted him,
‘Hey r u there? I got 2 talk 2 u about something’
‘hey heaven howd school go?’
‘just fine, listen I don’t think we should be friends anymore.’
‘what????? Where did that come from? Did that jerk tell you 2 do this?’
‘No, I just don’t think this friendship is going 2 work.’
‘It’s worked for the past 9 years!’
‘I just don’t think it would be good for both of us to hang out.’
‘Now I know It’s that jerk, wait till I get my hands on him…’
‘NO! It’s not him it’s me!!!’
‘It’s you.’
‘Yes’
‘I don’t believe that one bit.’
‘No it’s tru!!!’
Owen did not answer back. I tried texting him a few more times but he never answered back. I lay down on my pillow and cried.

I must have fallen asleep, because the next morning I awoke at the buzzing of my alarm clock. I picked up my hand, and slapped it down on my alarm clock to make it stop. I picked up my head and then immediately put it back down onto my pillow. I had a massive head ache. Like there was air pressure building up in my head with no way out.
“Mom!” I called.
“Yes honey, what is it?” She shouted back.
“I have a massive migraine. Can I stay home from school?” I asked.
“I don’t know honey. You really need to be in school. How bad is the head ache?” she asked.
“I feel Like I have a metal drummer playing on my head. I seriously don’t think I will be able to concentrate in class if I did go to school.” I said. I heard my mom sigh, and then she said,
“I guess you can stay home from school today, but have one of your friends gather all of your assignments for you. Also you have to go to school tomorrow.” She said.
“Thanks mom.” I replied. I got my cell phone out, and dialed Lauren’s number. It rang two times, and then I heard Lauren’s voice.
“Hello?” Lauren asked.
“Hey Lauren, I need you to pick up my assignments for school. I have a killer migraine and I’m staying home from school.” I said
“Oh sure, Listen about the whole roomer thing____,” She started.
“It’s okay I know what happened between you and Lucas.” I interrupted.
“Oh good, and listen, I’m really sorry about this whole situation.” She apologized.
“It’s fine Lauren, but do me one favor.” I asked.
“Anything Heaven.” She said.
“Stay away from Lucas and the other football players. I couldn’t live with myself if you got hurt.” I said.
“Heaven, I don’t think you need to ask me to stay away from them. It’s a miracle I’m even going to school today. They really scared me.” She said.
“Oh Lauren I’m so sorry. Tell Taya too. I’m pretty sure they got to her as well.” I said.
“We’ll be fine. And hey, I’ll give you your stuff after school.” She said.
“Thanks. You’re a life saver.” I said.
“No problem. Get well soon.” She said. Then we both hung up. I put my phone back on my night stand and got up. I walked to the bathroom and swallowed the remaining aspirin left in the bottle.
“We need more aspirin!” I called to Hailey.
“Can you please go to the drugstore and get some.” I sighed. I took a quick shower, then got dressed and headed out the door. I walked to the drug store. It’s only a few blocks from us so it didn’t take much time for me to get there. I run by the drug store every day when I go jogging. I like to take that route because it a very beautiful path and there is a lot of scenery.
In the drugstore I picked up two bottles of Aspirin and paid for them. I went back home. At home I watched TV until I heard the doorbell ring. I glanced at the clock. 4:10. School should be out now. I ran up to the door and opened it expecting to see Lauren’s face, but instead standing at the door was Owen.
I gasped, surprised. I tried to shut the door but Owen placed his foot in front of the door, not allowing it to move.
“What are you doing here?” I said.
“You don’t really believe that after nine years of being you best friend would just give up being you’re friend because some jerk forced you to.” He said.
“Oh thank goodness!” I exclaimed as I gave him a huge hug. After a few seconds we broke apart.
“I don’t know what I would have done if I lost you!” I said. “But seriously, what are we going to do? Lucas said that if I tell anyone or stay with you, he would hurt Lauren and Taya.” I shivered.
“I was thinking about bashing in his skull.” Owen said.
“No! I don’t want you getting hurt. Plus you won’t always be with me. What about at school? What will I do then?” I asked.
“First of all, I will not be getting hurt.” Owen said.
“Yes you will. Lucas has a whole football team of guys who would back him up one hundred percent.” I said.
“And second,” Owen said ignoring me, “I will get it through his thick head of his that if he even thinks about talking to you or your friends I will kick his a**.” He finished.
“No you won’t,” I said in a firm tone, “I will handle this on my own.”
“Oh, because you’ve been doing such a fabulous job so far!” Owen shot back. I hunched my shoulders. He did have a point; I had no idea what I was doing.
“Just give me some time before you come in Guns blazing.” I pleaded. He sighed.
“I’ll give you another week. But no more, if you haven’t fixed it by then, we’ll do it my way.” He compromised.
“Thank you!” I said, and then he walked out the door.
A little while later Lauren came to my house with Taya.
“So you’re sure they didn’t even say anything to you?” I asked. They both nodded. I blew out a breath.
“Well that’s a relief.” I said.
“The only questionable thing they did was smirk at us in a really scary way.” Taya said.
“Good, I don’t want either of you getting hurt because of me.” I said.
“Its fine,” Lauren said, “Honestly you’re beating yourself up too much. There’s nothing you can do. It’s not your fault Lucas decided to be a sociopath.” We all burst out laughing.
“I’m so glad to have great friends like you.” I said. I hugged both of them.
“Oh my gosh! I completely forgot! My grandma’s waiting for me at home to help her with dinner!” Taya said.
“It’s okay you guys can leave if you want to. Go help your grandmother, I’ll be fine. I was thinking about going for a run.” I said.
“If it’s okay with you.” Lauren said.
“Sure, sure. Go right ahead.” I said.
“Okay, I’ll see you later.” Said Lauren. They both went out the door and into the car.
“Tell your grandma I said Hi!” I called as the backed out of, my driveway. I sighed and went back inside. I was lying with the whole jog thing, I’m too exhausted to do anything accept sleep.
I went to my room and put on some P. J.s and went to bed.

The next day I woke up and got ready for school. While I was eating my cereal a horn honked outside. I got up to check who it was. Owen was in his car sitting in the drive way. When he saw me open the door, he waved for me to get in the car. I opened the passenger side door and slumped into the seat. I was not looking forward to the day ahead of me.
Once I was safely inside his car Owen backed out of the drive way and started driving to school.
“Do you have a plan of what you are going to do?” Owen asked. I had no idea what I was going to do.
“Sure.” I said. Owen looked at me.
“You’re lying.” Owen stated.
“No I’m not!” I said.
“Yes you are. Haven’t you ever noticed that your nose crinkles when you lie?” Owen said as his eyebrows rose.
“They do not, and I’m not lying.” I defended. Owen breathed a sigh.
“What?” I asked.
“I just wish you would let me handle this for you. You can be so stubborn when you want to be.”He said.
“I’m not stubborn; I just don’t want you getting hurt.” I said. He blew out a long sigh.
“Just don’t do anything stupid, and stay away from Lucas,” he said. We pulled up to the front of the school. I opened my door, and then turned around.
“I call you if I need your help.” I said. Then I jumped out of the car before he could get another word in.
Inside, I went to my locker, and got my books for first and second period. I didn’t see Lucas or any of the other football players while I was in my first two classes.
At lunched I sat down at my usual table, but Lauren and Taya never showed up. I sat at my empty table until the very end of lunch. I was nervous. What had happened to Taya and Lauren? I decided to call them, and see what the matter was. I dialed Lauren’s phone number and waited.
“Hello?” Lauren said. There was something wrong with her voice. It sounded terrified.
“Lauren? Lauren, are you all right? Where are you and Taya? I didn’t see you---.“ I was cut off by a guy’s voice.
“Hello Heaven. Nice to finally hear from you.” Lucas said, “We thought you were going to take all day.” I froze.
“What did you do to Lauren and Taya? Where are they? I swear if you lay one finger---.“ He cut me off again.
“You’re friends are fine. For now.” He said.
“What do you want?” I asked grudgingly.
“You know what I want, but right now I suggest you come here and then we’ll talk.” He said, “Oh, and bring your little friend too.” He said as an afterthought.
“No! You can go to hell!” I screamed.
“I’d think about the situation that would put your friends in before you start that up again.” He advised. There was a thump followed by a scream from Lauren.
“DON’T TOUCH HER!” I screamed into the phone.
“You and your boyfriend meet me at the pier by the skate park and you can have them.” He said and then he hung up on me. I leaned against the wall to keep me from falling over and shakingly dialed Owen’s number. It rang only once before he picked up the phone.
“Hey.” He said.
“T-they hh-ave tt-hem.” I whispered. My eyes spilled over with tears.
“What? Who has who? Is it Lucas? What did he do Heaven?” He said.
“H-he’s got Lauren and t-taya, and he w-wants us.” I squeaked

“Heaven calm down it’ll be all right. Take a deep breath and tell me what happened.” He said. I took a deep breath through my nose, and blew it out my mouth.
“Lauren and Taya were not in school today,” I said much calmer now,” so I called Lauren to see if she was all right. Lucas picked up on the phone and said that if both of us don’t come to the pier by the skate park, then he will hurt them.” I finished.
“I’m coming over there to get you. It’ll be alright. I won’t let anything happen to them or us.” He said calmly.
“But what do they want? Why do they want you to come with me?” I asked.
“I don’t know, but I will not let anything happen to you.” He said, “You know that right?”
“Of course. I’m just worried.” I said. I heard Owen’s engine roar on the highway.
“I’m almost at your school. You got all of your stuff together?” He asked.
“Yeah, I’ll meet you out by the front entrance.” I said.
“Okay bye.” He said.
“See you in a second.” I said. I walked out of the school to the front entrance. Owen’s car sped up to the edge of the side walk were I was standing. I flung open the door, and jumped in. Once the door was closed Owen sped off.
“Okay, here’s what we are going to do. I’m going to drop you off at your house and you are going to stay there and wait until I call you.” He said, “Got it?”
“No. I can’t let you go alone. It’s too dangerous, I’m coming with you.” I said. Owen sighed deeply.
“You are definitely not coming with me. I will not have you anywhere close to Lucas.” He said. The tone of his voice told me it wasn’t up for negotiation.
“But what about Lauren and Taya? I can’t just leave them!” I said.
“I will get Lauren and Taya. There is no need to worry.” He said. We were now outside my driveway.
“I still don’t know. What if---?” I was cut off when his lips crushed against mine. I started to kiss him back. We kissed for what felt like two minutes until we both came up for air.
“I love you.” He said.
“I love you too.” I said before thinking. He smiled ruefully.
“I’ll call you when I have Lauren and Taya.” He said.
“Okay. Just be careful for me.” I put a hand on his cheek. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.
“You do not know how long I’ve wanted to that.” He whispered. I kissed his cheek, and climbed out of his car.
“Take care of yourself.” I called as he sped away.
I sighed and walked into my house. Once I was safely in my room I collapsed on my bed and began to think about what was going on. What if Owen got hurt? What if Lucas kept Taya and Lauren?
Hours past and I was beside myself with worry. I couldn’t sit still or do anything constructive. All I did was pace up and down my room waiting for Owens call. I checked my messages frequently in case I’d missed his call. I sat down on my bed, and did nothing. I was just slipping into unconsciousness when I heard my phone ring. I jumped up from my bed, and grabbed my phone off the night stand. It was Owen.
“Hello?” I answered.
“Hey Heaven, I got Taya and Lauren. Can you come meet us at the pier? I think your friends are pretty shaken up.” Owen said.
“Sure! Are you okay? Did they hurt you? What took so long? I was about to die from worrying!” I said.
“I’m fine. Just meet me at the pier.” His voice was brusque. It was unlike him.
“Okay,” I said,” I’ll see you in a few. I love you.”
“Love you too.” His voice broke on the last word. It was making me suspicious, but I didn’t say anything.
“Bye.”
“Bye.” He said as he hung up on me. I sped down the highway on my way to the pier. I wanted to wrap him in my arms and never let him go. I worried about him so much about him in the last couple of hours.
I arrived at the parking lot next to the pier in no time. I ran over to the pier when I saw Owen standing there. He was turned around, so I couldn’t see his face. I called out to him. He turned sharply, and then I saw it.
Owen had a long scar on one of his cheeks, and both of his eyes were swollen.
“What have they done to you?” I asked, horrified.
“Run Heaven. Run. It’s a trap! Behind you!” He said. Just then two hands seized me. One was around my waist, and one was around my mouth muffling my scream.
“Be careful, and think about what you’re going to do next,” Lucas whispered in my ear,” You wouldn’t want me to hurt your boyfriend anymore than necessary.” He said in malice. Two other football players walked from the shadows, and seized Owen before he could throw a punch at Lucas. I clamped my mouth shut.
“Good girl. Now I want you to turn around and walk with me to my jeep.” He said in the same voice. I turned stiffly and walked toward his jeep. Lucas kept one hand firmly wrapped around my waist. Once we’d gotten to the jeep, Lucas opened the back door and pushed me into the seat. He climbed in after me. Jason once again resumed his position as our taxi cab driver and sped off.
I the car Lucas grabbed something metallic from a bag thrown on the floor.
“Turn around.” He ordered. I turned.
“Put your hands behind your back.” He said next. I did as I was told. I could feel the duct tape wrap around my wrists. Finally after he put what felt like half of the roll around my wrists, Jason pulled up to a small abandoned looking house on the beach. I stared at it appalled.
“Welcome home.” Lucas said. I could feel his breath on the back of my neck. I shivered. He pushed me up the small porch to the house, and then thrust me through the door.
Inside of the house it was dark. The only light coming in was from two small lamps put on opposite sides of the main room. Even though it was dark I could see that the house had three other rooms branching off of the main ones. Almost the whole football team was sitting in the main room. They were drinking beer, and didn’t notice me until Lucas came in after me. There were a few laughs; some leers at me, and then the rest just smiled the evilest smile I’ve seen in a while.
Lucas grabbed my wrists and half-dragged, half-pulled me into one of the three rooms. I side the room there was a single mattress on the ground. He thrust me onto it and then walked out of the room pulling the door closed behind him.
I looked down at the mattress. I was tattered and had stains all over it. It was disgusting, but I laid my head down on it anyway. I was exhausted. I could still hear everyone in the main room. There was the sound of beers being opened and the sound of hysterical laughter. My eye lids dropped. How will I get out of this one? As I let the darkness overcome me.

I awoke, when something hard yanked at my shoulder. A hand. I sat up blinking in the harsh glare of light filtered through my room.
“Get up.” Lucas commanded. His voice was ice cold.
“Where are we?” I asked. His hand flashed out and slapped me across the face.
“No talking.” He said in a low monotone. I spat in his face. He made a low growling sound and then pushed me up against the wall. His hand was crushing my throat.
“Do as I say or I will take your pretty boy out.” He hissed in my face. I struggled in his grip. I could barely breathe. His hands tightened for a moment, and then he let go. I dropped to the floor, gasping. He grabbed my hair, and pulled me back up.
“Walk!”He commanded, and I walked. As long as he had Owen I could do nothing to stop him. He knew that.
We both walked into the main room again. It was lighter but still dim. All the football players were still there, but there was also someone else on the floor. I saw Owen immediately. I could recognize those dark curls anywhere. I tried to run up to him, but two football players had their hands wrapped around both of my shoulders. I tried to loosen their grip. They took no notice of my struggling.
“Owen!” I cried out before I could stop myself.
“What did I say about talking?” Lucas snarled as he threw a punch into Owen’s gut. Owen groaned and fell to the ground clutching his stomach. I screamed. I struggled harder. I kicked one of the guys in the spot and he crumpled to the floor. I yanked my arm away from the other guy’s grip and ran down beside Owen. I hardly touched him before Lucas yanked me up and against his chest.
“You don’t listen much, but you will.” He said. I stared at him terrified. He chuckled.
“You don’t listen much, but you learn well.” All the boy’s joined in on his laughter. He pushed me back into the other guys’ hands. The one I had kicked looked particularly mad at me. He gripped my shoulder so hard I was sure it was going to bruise.
Lucas walked over to Owen again who, was now standing.
“Now I would like to know why you are still hanging out with my girlfriend.” Lucas said as he threw another punch into Owen’s stomach. I screamed again but could not get free.
“I’m not your girlfriend you f***ing b*****d.” I yelled. Lucas paid no attention to me.
“Let me make myself perfectly clear,” He said as he punched Owen again,” You will not talk to heaven,” another hit,” you will not look at heaven, “a punch in the face this time,” you will not even think about heaven or I will personally kick you’re a** out of this town!” He finished. He pulled his fist back for a final blow but I screeched at him,
“Stop! I’ll do anything just don’t hurt him!” I exclaimed. He turned his head and smirked.
“You will already do that, because if you don’t I’ll take your lover boy here out.” He said as he then proceeded to punch Owen again and again. Tears ran down both my cheeks. Lucas just kept hitting Owen. Over, and over, and Over. I could barely stand it. Then Lucas hit him so hard that he lost consciousness. I would have screamed, but I had no voice. The only sound I made was a faint whimpering sound.
Lucas had two football players drag Owens unconscious body into their truck.
“What are you going to do to him?”I asked. Lucas laughed.
“I think your boyfriend got our message loud and clear. I don’t think there’s any need to keep him or you here any longer. You can take your friends and I’ll drop you off at your house. But if you say a word about this to anyone I will take your prince charming out. Understand?”Lucas said. I nodded.
Lucas then went into one of the room and then came back with Lauren and Taya, still duct taped behind him. I smiled one of my fake smiles. They didn’t smile back.
Adam pushed Lauren, Taya, and I all into the back seat while he hopped in shotgun with Lucas driving. I hugged both of them.
“Are you all right?” I asked them. They nodded but stayed silent. I could still see the terror in their eyes.

“It’ll be over soon.”I promised. We pulled up to my driveway. Lucas turned around.

“If you say anything to anyone about what just happened you will regret it very much.” Lucas said. I shivered.

“By Heaven I’ll see you later.” He said, and the he winked at me. WINKED AT ME!! I got out of the car as fast as I could; Lauren and Taya were right behind me. We ran into my house, and straight to my room. Taya closed the door behind her when she entered.

“Okay, what are we going to do?” Taya asked. She was completely oblivious to the fact that we were just kidnapped and were currently being black-mailed.

“Nothing.” I said, “Lucas won. I can’t let him hurt Owen anymore.” A tear trickled down my cheek. Lauren came up to me, and gave me a very big hug.

“It’s all right. We will get through this. We always do. Just don’t give up hope.” She said. I wiped furiously at my eyes.

“No. I can’t let you put yourselves in that much danger just for me.” I said, “I’ll be Lucas’ girlfriend.” I shivered.

“But Heaven---,” Taya started.

“No!” I said,” promise me you will not do anything that could get anyone hurt.”

“Are you sure?” Lauren asked.

“Yes.” My voice cracked.

“Okay.” Lauren said with a sigh. All three of us put our hands together and chanted,

“I solemnly swear to never speak of what happened today ever again.”

Then it was done. We had made a promise and none of us could break it. Both Lauren and Taya stayed the night. We did not have the courage to sleep alone.
The next two days past in a blur. There was nothing to lean on, nothing to give me comfort. Taya and Lauren tried to comfort me, but I would not allow myself to feel pleasure. Monday morning came, and I got ready in a daze. Once I was outside I walked. I did not realize were I was going until I had finally arrived at school.
A wave of nausea hit me as the prison-like building came into view. My heartbeat increased and my palms started to sweat. As I walked into the entrance of the school my eyes darted around the people near me trying to recognize certain faces. There he was. Leaning against my locker oh-so-casually his face searching for something. His eyes met mine. He smiled and my knees trembled. I walked over to him unsteadily his grin got even wider.

“Have a good weekend?” Lucas asked. I looked down, but he caught my chin, and brought my eyes level to his.
“Not particularly.” I said, sarcasm being my only weapon at the moment. My knees were threatening to give way.
“That’s too bad. Maybe I should have visited, it would have been nice to see your face.” He said. I grimaced. That would have been the only thing that would have gotten my weekend any worse. Actually there are two people that in which having their presence would have made my weekend a whole lot worse. One I haven’t even seen since Friday night. I couldn’t even call him. I was miserable.

The next morning came faster than expected.
We all awoke really early, and could not get back to sleep so we sat in my room and talked for all of the morning.
“What will we do in school on Monday?” Lauren asked. I sucked in a breath.
“Nothing. You will do nothing tomorrow. You promised me.” I said.
“We promised that we would not interfere with you and Lucas.” Taya said.
“Not that we would stay away from you. You are our best friend, Heaven. We are not going to let one guy get in the way of our friendship.” Lauren said.
“Aw. You guys are the best. But I still think it would be best to stay away from Lucas and me.” I said.
“You won’t be getting rid of us that easily.” Taya proclaimed with a grin.
“I just don’t think it’s very safe for you guys.”I said.
“If we wanted to be perfectly safe, we wouldn’t still be here.” Taya said. Then the door bell rang. All three of us almost jumped a foot in the air. We were still very much on edge.

I walked over and answered the door. I gasped. Standing there was Owen.

“What are you doing here?” I said.

“I came to see you.” He said. My knees threatened to give way beneath me.

“Go away,” I said, “I don’t want to see you here. Just leave.” My voice broke on the last word.

“You’re just going to let Lucas play you like a pawn?”He gaped, “You are not the girl I knew. You are not the girl I fell in love with.” My eyes threatened to overflow with tears.

“Just go. Please.” I whispered in a barely audible voice.

“Fine,” His voice was hard and cold, but his eyes showed grief and sadness, “I hope you are happy with Lucas.” He threw over his shoulder, “You’re meant for each other.” I closed the door and then crumpled to the ground letting the tears consume me.
Taya and Lauren walked into the foyer. Their faces were horrified and shone pity.

“We’re so sorry heaven.” Taya said. I couldn’t speak. I cried and cried until there were no tears left in my body. I felt as if someone had ripped my soul from my body. Like I was looking at life through glass. Nothing would help and nothing could stop it from happening. I laid there on the hardwood floor, bawling my eyes out in front of my two best friends in the world.
On monday I got ready in a daze. My body was free of emotion. Taya came early to pick me up for school. I got in the car without saying a word. We We drove in silence until Taya couldn’t take it any longer.
“You can’t just shut off all your emotions Heaven! I know you cared for him, but this is not the thing you should be doing. Find the strength to fight back against Lucas. He will only only get worse, and then you will have nothing of yourself left. Don’t let Lucas win heaven. Listen to me!” she nearly shouted. I took a deep breath and looked at her.
“What can I do?” I whispered.
“You can fight. Fight him. Just don’t let him win heaven.” She stressed.
“But I have nothing to fight him with.” I said.
“That’s not true. You have us. We will always be there to help you. You are our best friend and we will get you through this. We pulled up to the school and got out.
“You can do it Heaven. Just have hope in yourself. I’ll be with you all the way.” We both started to walk into school when I saw him. My palms started to sweat and my knees shook. I grabbed Taya’s hand and together we walked right past him and into school. He called out to me but I did not turn. I just kept walking. I went straight to my locker and then immediately to class.
The excruciating day went by slowly. I avoided Lucas whenever I could. Dodging through hallways, staying close to teachers. Once I even hid in the janitor’s supply closet (not doing that again).
Lauren and Taya stayed with me at almost all times but sometimes they just couldn’t make it without interfering with their class schedules. Of course I would not let them skip class with me for fifth block, so here I am walking down the empty school hallway when he appears. I didn’t have time to scream before Adam out a hand over my mouth and dragged me into a dark and empty room at the end of the hallway. Once Adam and I were both in the room someone closed the door and locked it from the outside. Jason.
Adam let go of me and I ran for the door. It was locked of course, but that didn’t stop me from banging the daylight out of it. Someone was chuckling behind me. I slowly turned around and pushed my back against the door behind me.
Lucas and Adam were standing next to each other. Lucas was still laughing. I glared at him.
“What do you want?” I asked.
“You’ve been avoiding me.” He said.
“I’ll take dumb statements for 200 Alex.” I snapped. His face hardened and he took a step towards me. We were only centimeters away from each other. I would have backed up but there was no space behind me. I pressed myself against the door.
“Your little games are getting on my last nerves. Give up before I get angry. Trust me, you don’t want me angry.” He said icily smooth.
“You don’t get everything you want Lucas.” I said. He took a lock of my hair in his hand and pulled on it.
“You’re right , But I will get you.” Chills went up my spine.
“Hurting Owen won’t do anything to me anymore.” I said changing topics,” He already hates me.”My mind was reeling with options of escape could probably throw a punch into Lucas’ gut, but then Adam could get me. I wouldn’t stand a chance against him. The door was still locked but there is a small window on the far wall. I could probably squeeze through it if I could get to it. While I was thinking Lucas was talking.
“You were never a good liar Heaven. Anyone can still see that you care for that disgusting piece of trash.” He smirked. During that moment I had a very strong urge to slap him right in the face, but I needed to get out of there before Lucas gets too worked up.
“You’re right.” I said smiling, “I do still care for him, and guess what,” I said leaning in, “There’s nothing you can do about it.” Then I brought my knee up with as much force as I could make. I ran past Adam as fast as possible then threw myself through the small opening on the window.
I could feel Adams’s fingers trying to wrap around my ankles. I kicked as hard as I could, and the weight of his hands disappeared. I pushed the remainder of my body through the window and ran home as fast as I could. I could hear Lucas’ commanding voice shouting orders to Adam and Jason as I sprinted. I did not stop running until I was in my bedroom and the door was closed around me. I huffed out a breath. Track team was really doing me good.
I felt exhilarated. Adrenalin pumped through my veins. I felt powerful. I know tomorrow Lucas will finally get me, but just right then I couldn’t have cared less. I leapt onto the bed, and closed my eyes. Sleep found me surprisingly easily.

Chapter 8

I awoke at the sound of my phone buzzing noisily in my pocket of my jacket.

“Hello?” I answered. There was a sigh of relief on the other die of the line.

“Where have you been? We were worried sick about you the whole day. We thought Lucas had gotten you or something. You’ve got some serious explaining to do missy.” Lauren said in a angry but also relieved voice.

“I’m alright, but Lucas did try to get me.” I heard a shocked and horrified gasp in the phone.

“What!? When? How did he get to you?” she was frantic.

“During fifth block, I skipped, and apparently he did too.” I stated flatly. I was proud of my calm collectiveness even though it terrified me to talk about it. I didn’t want Lauren or Taya to get worried.

“Are you alright? What happened?” She asked.

“I’m fine. I got away before Lucas could do any real damage.” I reassured her.

“We’re coming over right now. Are you at your house?” She asked. I groaned to myself I just wanted to sleep right now. I was exhausted.

“Yeah, I just woke up.”

“We will be there in fifteen minutes. Oh, Taya wants me to tell you to ‘hang in there’.” She said. I sighed.
“Okay. But seriously, I’m fine. It wasn’t that bad. Don’t worry about me.” I said again.
“How are you so calm? Oh My Gosh! You must be in shock. I should call a doctor or something---“ She started, but I cut her off.
“No! No doctors! Seriously, I’m fine. There’s nothing wrong with me.” I must have sounded pretty desperate because after a long pause she said, “Okay.”
“I won’t call a doctor. I’m at your house, Open the door.” She said grudgingly. After a brief goodbye we hung up.

“So just to recap, you were almost kidnapped, but then you got away at the last minute?” Taya said. I nodded. “And you landed a pretty good hit on Lucas and Adam. I bet they’re not happy campers right now. Wouldn’t you agree?” Lauren added. I smiled to myself.
“Yes, that’s what happened. Now you can stop freaking out.” I said. They both closed their eyes and took deep breaths.
“Calm, Got it.” Taya murmured. I sighed in relief. They were driving me crazy. I had finally gotten my entire story out. They kept interrupting me with their incessant questions and interjections.
“Sooo,” Lauren said, “Now what?” I looked up. I seemed pretty obvious to me.
“Well,” I started, “there’s nothing we can do really. Lucas is stronger than all three of us put together without the football team backing him up.
“So that’s it?” Taya said. “That’s all you’re going to do? What about fighting it?” There was a spark of anger in her eyes.
“Think about it Taya. What can we do? We’ve already tried fighting it, and we couldn’t keep that up for even one day” Taya bit her lip. She knew I was right.
“I just have to face it. There is no way out for me. I don’t have any other options.” I said flatly, trying, and failing, to hide the aching heartbreak in my voice. Taya and Lauren’s eyes softened.
“Oh heaven, I’m so sorry. I wish there were something we could do.” Lauren said.
So we sat in my room all night, barely saying a word to each other, letting their presence comfort me. Somehow through all the pain and heartbreak I was going though, there was a spark of hope. Hope that could get me though this and leave it all behind, and just then it was all I needed from the world.

The next morning came quicker than I expected. But I loved every minute of it. I felt alive. It was like a tiny piece of my heart was glued back in place. When I got to school all those feelings vanished into thin air, like they never existed. Lucas was standing in front of the main entrance of school along with everyone on the football team. I could see Adam and Jason on either side of him. Adam had faint signs of a bruise around his left eye. Lucas’ eyes met mine as soon as I got out of the car. I should have known that they would be waiting for me. Adam grimaced as he followed Lucas’ stare. Lucas lifted one finger and beckoned me to where he was standing. Lauren gabbed my shoulder and whispered urgently in my ear
“You don’t have to do this heaven. We can find another way.”
“No.” I said. “I have to deal with this sometime. I might as well do it now.” My stomach was churning as I took a deep breath and started walking over to where Lucas was standing. Slowly but steadily we walked across the parking lot towards Lucas. Lauren was on one of my sides, and Taya was on the other.
“Hey Heaven, how about we go for a little walk alone.” Lucas suggested, but it didn’t sound like a suggestion. It sounded like a threat. I held my ground.
“Your friends go, mine do too.” I said firmly. Adam glared at me in hatred, and Lucas chuckled darkly.
“I don’t think you’re in any position to be making demands.” I set my jaw and stood there silently. After a minute or two, Lucas gave up.
“Ugh! You are so stubborn.” He said exasperated.
“I take that as a compliment.” I said acidly. Lucas turned a whispered something into Adam’s ear. Adams frown deepened. He tried to say something back but Lucas cut him off. This time Adam turned and said something to the other football players, and one by one they all left.
“Your turn.” He said looking pointedly at Lauren and Taya. I sighed and turned to my friends’ desperate faces.
“I’m fine. You can go now.” I told them.
“But---“ Lauren started, I cut her off before she could finish the sentence.

“No, just get to class. I’ll be fine.” I reassured. You could almost see Lucas’ smugness radiating around him as Taya and Lauren walked off grudgingly. As soon as we were alone Lucas slung an arm around and almost dragged me to a secluded spot by the school.
Once he was sure we were completely alone he pushed me up against an alley wall. His hand was placed firmly on my shoulder trapping me between him and the brick wall.
“We don’t have much time before class starts, so let’s cut to the chase.” He said. “First you should really pick on people your own size.” He threw a punch in my gut. I choked but had the sense not to scream.
“Second, I’m done playing games with you Heaven. You are mine now! Do what I say, or I will hurt everyone you care about. Do you understand?” He said. I lifted my chin and met his eyes bravely.
“Yes.” Was all I said. He smirked. I felt like killing him just then.
“Now that we have that understood, some of my friends are pretty angry with you.” He said. I remembered Adams cold look of hatred as he glared at me.” You do what I say, or I might let them get a little payback.” I stood there silently, and after a moment he pulled his arm back.
“If you try to pull anything, I will see to it that Owen gets a little visit.” He said. He turned away from me before I could get another word in.
“Oh, and by the way,” he said looking back at me over his shoulder,” You’re coming to my house this afternoon. Don’t make plans.” He left me there staring at him in disbelief. What am I going to do? I thought as I went through the day at school. Lauren and Taya found me at lunch sitting alone at the table. Of course they wanted to know what happened with Lucas and I after they left, so I spent all of lunch analyzing every word in our short conversation.
“I don’t know Heaven. Maybe you shouldn’t go to his house. I mean, why does he want you there anyway?” Taya questioned.
“I agree with Taya on this one,” Lauren said,” Lucas is never up to any good. He’s got to be planning something.” I laughed a cold, hard, serious laugh.
“You don’t get it. I can’t back out of this one. I don’t have a choice. He will hurt you guys if I don’t come with him.” I said.
“Don’t worry about us. We can take care of ourselves.” Taya reassured.
“Like last time. You took such great care of yourselves then. Also, it’s not just you guys. What if he goes after Owen, or my sister? I can’t let that happen. Not because of me.
Once I had made it clear to Taya and Lauren that there was nothing that they could do eccept let me handle it, they let it go, But not without a fight.
When the final bell rang I gathered my belongings quickly, and ran out of school. I wanted to at least get home first. But Lucas being Lucas caught me in the parking lot before I could make my escape. He pulled up in his gigantic jeep.
“Get in.” he said, and I obeyed. Inside I looked around. It was just like I remembered. Huge, open, and very fancy were the best words to describe it. For the first time all day I wondered what Lucas’ house would look like. Everyone in school knows he’s rich. He flaunts his money at people to get whatever he wants. I don’t even know how many times he has bribed a teacher to get a higher grade. After about fifteen minutes in silence Lucas pulled up to this huge iron gate, and pressed a few bottons on the key pad, and then the monstrous door opened. I gasped. Behind those huge irion doors was a mansion. It was huge, and I mean HUGE! Lucas smirked when he saw my awed expression.
“What were you expecting?” He asked.
“Not this.” I said, not taking my eyes off the colossal home.
“Come on,” he said taking ignoring my struggles as he took my hand, “I want to show you my room.” He pulled me up the many steps, and into his house. Holding my wrist he walked swiftly through countless beautiful rooms, until finally he stopped at one large door. He turned to face me. There was a gigantic smirk on his face.
“What?” I asked, but his smirk just got wider. He opened the door to what I can assume was his bedroom. I stared in awe as I took in the sight of the interior of his “room”. I was absolutely speechless. It was about the size of the bottom floor of my whole house. The walls and floors were white, and the furnishings were a mixture of black and gray. It was very modern, and I tried to step away, but he grabbed my back, pulling me towards him. I put both of my hands against his chest.
“Stop.” I said, but he ignored me, and leaned forward. This was not going to happen again.
“Lucas!” I yelled struggling uselessly in his iron grip. I screamed until he clamped a hand over my mouth.
“Shut up! My parents will hear you!” He growled in my ear. I bit down on his hand, and Lucas let go, cursing at me.
“Maybe that’s what I want, jerk.” I hissed. His face hardened, ad he took a step towards me again.
“Kiss me, or I will hurt everyone you care about.” He said. I tried to take a step away from him, but he grabbed my forearms.
“Let go!” I screeched.
“Kiss me, and I will.” I exhaled loudly as he leaned in again. I might as well get it over with. Tilting my head up my lips met his.
His moth was hungry against mine. I put my arms around his neck, and waited for him to stop. He grabbed the small of my back and pulled my towards him still. I really did not like where this was going. With much effort I pulled away from him.
“What did I say?” he growled.
“Look,” I said,” I’ll pretend to be your girlfriend. I’ll stop hanging out with Owen, I might even kiss you. But that’s all.” I said firmly. Lucas’ eyes flashed.
“We’ll see about that.” He said as he grabbed my arm and yanked me into a different door off of his room. The room was dark, and I couldn’t see anything. Lucas threw me down on the floor, and then flipped on the light switch. Bright white light flooded into the cramped room. I squinted my eyes waiting for them to adjust to the glare. The interior was almost the opposite of the sleek new room we had just been in. This room was dark, grungy, and disgusting. There was a small bed in the corner, but not much else. A light bulb hung from wires in the center of the room. I reminded me of a prison cell.
“I suggest you get comfortable. You’ll be staying in here until you change your mind.” Lucas said. Then he smirked.
“I have to go now. There’s a certain person I have to pay a visit to.”
“If you go near any of my friends or family I’ll---“I started.
“You’ll what? You can’t do anything to me.” He said with a dark laugh.
“You will pay. I will promise you that!” I said as he shut the door to the room. I sat down on the rusted bed. Tears trailed down my cheeks as I sobbed my heart out yet again. After a while I got sleepy. I laid my head down on the bed and let the darkness consume me.

Chapter 9
I awoke in that grungy room. The light bulb in the center of the room flickered, threatening to go out. I prayed that it didn’t. I sat up on the squeaky bed, and looked around. I was just as before, but with a little tray laying on the floor near the door. I walked over to it and picked it up. There was food on it, and beside the food was a delicate not folded neatly. I opened and read it.

Dear Heaven,
I’m going to school. Sorry you can’t come. You’ll be missing it until you give me a different answer. I got you some food. I’d advise you eat it. I won’t be back until after school, sit tight while I’m gone.
Love,
Lucas
I bawled up the note and threw it across the room. I glanced at my food, and then pushed the tray away. My stomach growled in protest. After about two minutes I gave up. I got up and hurriedly walked over to the tray and started stuffing the food in my mouth in a very unladylike fashion. When the tray was empty I got up and walked back over to the bed. I heard something in the corner beep. I turned around, but nothing was there. Then I heard it again. BEEP! This time I turned around I saw a red light flash in the corner. I got up and walked over to it. In the corner a small video camera was placed. I cursed, bending down to pick it up. It beeped as I held it in my hands.

“My answer is still no, you jerk. It will always be no.” I said to the camera, then dropped it on the floor and stomped on it smashing into a million pieces. I know Lucas had been watching. I had seen them advertising those cameras on TV, wireless cameras that you were able to watch from anywhere.
I retreated to my sitting position back on the bed, and waited, and waited, and waited. I looked down at my wrist watch. It was 3:15. School would be out by now, and Lucas would be getting home soon. Around fifteen minutes later I heard noise outside of my door. Standing up I crouched in a defensive position, not knowing what would come through the door. I could hear multiple people outside my door. The doorknob turned, and I stayed silent. Lucas popped his head in and smiled when he saw me. I scowled at him. He walked in, and was soon followed by Adam and Jason. I backed up against the wall as far as I could away from then. Adam was glaring at me, and Jason was smiling evilly.
“Well it seems you made it through the day.” Lucas said.
“F**k you!” I said to all of them. Lucas stepped forward, and Adam and Jason followed.
“It sounds like you need to get some respect” Lucas said waggling his finger. I an instant Both Jason and Adam stepped forward and grabbed both of my arms. I screeched but it was cut off when Adam clamped a hand over my mouth.
“You seriously need to learn to shut up!” Adam growled in my ear. I flinched awy from his menacing tone.
“Maybe we should give her a lesson?” Jason suggested. I squirmed in their arms until It felt like they were cutting off the blood flow to my arms they were holding so tight.
“Good idea.” Lucas said. The he threw a punch in my gut. The impact of his fist would have sent me flying if Adam and Jason weren’t holding so tight. I gasped in pain as I searched for air to fill my stomach once again.
I glared at lucas. He smiled at me, the said,
“Want to reconsider?” He asked. I spat at him.
“I would never say yes to you A**h***!” I sent him daggers. He chuckled.
“I wouldn’t be so sure.” He said as he threw another punch in my gut. This time i did scream. Loud.
“Scream all you want. This room is sound proof.” Lucas snarled in my face. My breaths were coming in rasps now. Air was not fully making it to my lungs. My first instinct was to put my hands up to my neck, but Adam and Jason were still holding on to me tightly.
“Let go!” I snarled in their faces. They looked as if they had no intention of letting go any time soon.
“I think she’s got our message guys, you can let her go.” Lucas said, and Adam and Jason immediately let go of my arms. I fell to the floor gasping in pain. My hands flew up to my neck where air was finally coming through. Lucas grabbed my hair and yanked me back up, so that I was looking at him in the eye. His gaze was deadly calm. I swallowed.
“I’ll come back tomorrow. If I were you I’d put some serious thought into changing your choice.” And then he threw me on the ground again. He, Adam, and Jason exited the room without a glance back.
I dragged myself across the cold, hard, cement, floor over to my bed. I rested my head on the bed frame, and breathed deeply, trying to control my rasping breaths. I fell into painful unconsciousness not long after.
I awoke at the sound of footsteps outside my door. Lucas! Ugh, I couldn’t deal with him right now. The door creaked open, and I pressed myself against the bed trying to make myself invisible.

“What do you want Lucas?” I snapped. And then I heard a gasp. I turned around, and scrutinized the three figures in the doorway. I gasped. Owen, Taya, and Lauren were all cramming themselves into the small room/ cell I was being kept in.
“What are you doing here?” I loud-whispered. Lauren and Taya came up to hug me while Owen stayed in the doorway.
“We came to get you silly!” Lauren said
“How were you going to get out of this one on your own?” Taya questioned.

“Shhhhh!” You’ll wake up Lucas, and then we’ll all be in trouble.

“Sorry! We should probably get out of here, and then we’ll tell you our story.

“Good idea.” I said with sarcasm. Owen led the way out of the room, and past Lucas, who was sleeping on his king size bed. WE tiptoed out of his room and gently shut the door behind us. Then we took off sprinting out of the house, and to Owen’s gigantic hummer. WE all climbed on, and Owen sped away. Owen drove us to my house where he dropped us off. After Lauren and Taya had gone inside I turned to talk to Owen, but he was already speeding away.

“Thanks” I muttered as I turned back to go inside. Lauren and Taya were already getting out blankets and pillows for a sleepover, when I came into my room.

“So what just happened while we were inside?” Taya asked with a smirk. I sighed deeply, leaping onto my bed.

“Nothing happened. He didn’t even stay long enough for me to tell him thanks.” I frowned. Lauren had a look of confusion on her face.

“What?” I asked. Lauren quickly smoothed over the confusion with a fake smile.

“Nothing. I just found it odd that after all the hard work he just put in he left without even saying a word to you.” I grimaced. He really does hate me.

“I wonder why he even cared. He obviously still hates me.” Taya turned her head in a sharp motion to gawk at me.

“Who are you talking about? Owen is obviously way in love with you still. If oyu haven’t caught on to that, you’re an idiot.

“Wow. Nice. Just what I needed, someone telling me that I’m an idiot. I feel so much better now. I’m practically bursting with joy.” I retorted.

“Taya’s right.” Lauren said,” You really should see the way he looks at you when you’re not looking. It’s absolutely the most romantic look I’ve ever seen. It makes ME want to melt.” My shoulders slumped.
“Even if he really felt that way, he wouldn’t be so cold to me. There is nothing I can do.”I said with a sigh.
“He’s been hurt. He just needs time to heal. You know, Ii thuink he really does L—“ Lauren started.
“NO WAY! Please don’t say that. It will make me feel ten times worse than I am right now.” I said.
“Love you.” Lauren finished.
“You know, I think you love him too.” Taya added. I groaned.
“Of course I love him. Gosh, why does my life have to be so complicated!?” I exclaimed.
“Hey, Think on the bright side. At least your life’s not boring.” Taya said. I frowned at her.
“I’d take boring over this any day.” I said.
“I don’t know. You haven’t tried having a boring life yet.”
“Ugh! Do we have to talk about this now? It seriously is the LAST thing I want to talk about. Well, that and Lucas.” I added the last part in as an afterthought. But just hearing his name sent shivers down my spine. If I ever saw him again, it would be too soon.
“Well, what else is there to talk about?” Taya asked.
“How about track? I’ve decided that taking track again would be better for my body since I seem to need to run away from something all the time.” I said.
“That’s a great idea. We can all be on the track team again. Just like old times!” Exclaimed Lauren.
“No Way! There is no way you’ll be able to convince me to get onto that track ever again. I still have asthma attacks remember. I was always the slowest one on the team.” Taya said.
“Oh come on!” I said,” It’ll be fun. We can finally do something together.”
“Nope. I’m not budging on this one.” She said in a tone that made her decision final.
“Don’t worry Heaven. I’ll still be with you. Then you’ll have some actual completion.” She said with a smirk.
“Not a chance. I can beat you running any day. I have been training over the year. I’m not completely out of shape as I was before. I’ll annihilate you. You won’t stand a chance.” I said.
“We’ll see.” said Taya. We all laughed. It was like old times. Before the whole Lucas and Owen thing. I felt happy.

Chapter 10

My life is an endless rollercoaster. Just when things are starting to settle down, there’s always another loop or drop.

I saw Lucas in the parking lot the very next morning before school. Tossing a football back and forth with Adam and Jason he almost looked laid back and normal. I took a detour around the opposite side of the lot, as far away from Lucas as possible. Lauren and Taya walked faithfully beside me, giving me some much needed determination. I knew we were not going to get off that easily, so it didn’t surprise me when three football players stopped us at the far side of the parking lot.

“Whoa. Where do you you’re going missy?” Matthew, a guy on the football team, asked. I tried to maneuver around him, but the other two guys with him blocked all our escape routes.

“Get out of our way.” Taya said firmly, and ferociously. Lauren had pulled back her lips in a hostile grimace. I straightened my back arrogantly, and took a step away from them. They followed.

“You know what? Why don’t you give Lucas a message for me?” I said taking advantage of this opportunity.

“We might give the message to him.” Matthew said with a smirk.

“Why don’t you tell Lucas,” I said leaning in,” that I’ve made my decision, and if he doesn’t like it, he can suck it.” I said as Taya, Lauren, and I all turned, and walked away. Matthew and his friends just stood there with their mouths gaping.

Once inside the building, I let out a gigantic breath.

“Well, that went well.” I said. Taya fist pounded me.

“Girl! You were amazing. You totally kicked a**.”
“Thanks.” I said.
“I wonder if Lucas will ever leave you alone.” Lauren pondered.
“I don’t know about that. When Lucas has his mind set on something there’s almost nothing that can get in his way.” Taya said. I shivered internally.
“Hey! No more talking about Lucas. We have a track tryout to go to!” I said in a fake gleeful tone. Lauren brightened.
“Get ready to eat my dust.” She said.
“We’ll see. We’ll see.” I said. Lauren and I headed off to the locker rooms to get changed into our running gear. Taya said she’d meet us on the bleachers to watch us try out, but when we exited the locker room, Taya was nowhere to be seen. Coach called us and told us to line up for the 40 meter sprint. I cast a rueful look back over my shoulder as I got into running position. Coach blew her whistle, and I took off running. I quickly past almost everyone in my group. It was just me and Lauren running now. We both kept the same moderate speed. Adrenaline surged through my veins, and I kicked my legs harder. Lauren still measured my speed. I smiled internally. We both were very good runners. The finish line was approaching. Lauren andI both picked up speed. We crossed the finish line simultaneously, and then skidded to a stop. The other runners finished a minute after we crossed. I looked up at the coach for consent, only to see her standing there frozen with her mouth hanging open.
“What?” I asked.
“You two just beat the state’s running record by thirty-two seconds.” She said, awed. I heard Lauren gasp audibly.
“Really?” She asked. Coach nodded her head. I smiled.
“So did we make the team?” I asked.
“Of course.” Coach sputtered. I smiled wider.
“Thanks” Lauren said as we started making our way back to the locker room.
“You’re very welcome.” Coach called after us as we entered the locker room. Once inside Lauren completely lost the whole calm facade.
“Oh my Gosh!” She gushed,” We just broke a state running record! We should be like on television or something!” I rolled my eyes.
“Lauren! It’s not a big deal. I think we have more important things to worry about than breaking a stupid running record.” I said. She turned her head to look at me with incredulous eyes.
“Just a running record? We broke the STATE running record! It’s definitely something that we should be worrying about.” She said. I sighed.
“You are blowing this whole thing way out of proportion.” I said.
“Heaven. How many times do you break a school record? Not very many times.” She said.
“We should celebrate. You, me, and Taya will have a celebratory ice cream sundae at Reces!” I groaned internally. Reces was an ice cream shop really close to school. Everyone hung out there. It was one of the last places I wanted to be today.
“Can’t we go some other time. I don’t feel like going out tonight. Plus, ice cream will totally slow us down next track practice.” I pleaded.
“No way. We are going to get things back to normal, and part of being normal is doing normal things. You are not going to get out of this one Heaven Flowers. I will drag you kicking and screaming if I have to. Which I really don’t want top do because I don’t want to get this top dirty.” She said firmly. I gave up.
“Okay, but---” I didn’t have time to Finnish my sentence before we saw Taya. She was curled up into a ball on the bottom seat of the bleachers. Her head was resting on her knees, and she was rocking back and forth. We ran up to her.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“H-he was w-waiting-g beh-hind the bleachers.” Taya started.
“Shh, shh. It’s okay. He’s gone now. Take a deep breath and tell us what happened.” Lauren said rubbing her back. Taya burst into terrified sobs. Lauren looked up at me urgently.
“We need sundaes. Pronto!” I nodded, and went to bring the car around. Once Taya had safely gotten into the car we drove to Reces.

Almost all the parking spaces were taken by high school students. Lauren ran inside for sundaes, while I stayed with a hysterical Taya.
“Okay.” I said. “Just tell me exactly what happened.”
“Alright.” Taya nodded. Her voice had returned back to normal. “I was sitting on the bleachers, when someone grabbed me from behind, and yanked me behind the bleachers. It was Lucas. He told me that you had made the wrong choice, and then he hit me.” She burst into tears again. “He gave me a note to give to you. He said that I couldn’t look at it.” She took a folded piece of paper from her jacket, and with a shaky hand, gave it to me.
I opened the envelope. It read,
Game on.
I took a deep shuddering breath. Some people would call that a threat.
“Well, what is it?” Taya asked.
“It’s nothing.” I said. Taya glared at me.
“Heaven Marie Flowers! You are hiding something from me. Now give me the paper and nobody will get hurt.” She said in a slow voice.
“Seriously Taya, It’s just a silly note. There’s nothing wrong.” I said as carelessly as possible. She Looked at me doubtfully, but said no more. At this point Lauren was back with the sundaes. She pulled me aside.
“What happened?” She asked. I lost my calm composure.
“I’m going to kill him.” I hissed.
“Kill who? Heaven, what happened?” Lauren asked frantically. I looked over my shoulder at Taya, who was busily devouring her sundae.
“Lucas hurt her and threatened her. He also gave her a note to give to me.” I said thrusting the folded piece of paper in her hands. She gasped as she read it. “I am sick and tired of him messing with me and my friends. When will he get it through his thick skull that he will never have me?” I asked.
“Who knows? What are we going to do about it?” She asked. I stared at her in disbelief.
“WE will not be doing anything. I will be kicking his a**, while You will be safe at home where no one can hurt you.” I said. Lauren snorts.
“You try and keep me away from you. If you’re going to do anything as dangerous as that, you better believe that I will be right there beside you.” She said determinedly. I sighed. This was going nowhere. There was a gleam of anticipation in her eyes. She wanted Lucas gone just as much as I did.
“I can’t let you do that. I will not allow you to get hurt for me.” I said.
“I wasn’t asking permission.” She said, “I’m coming with you, whether you like it or not.”
“Bu---“I started
“Stop. I don’t want to hear any excuses. Just let me ask you something. If you were in my position, would there be anything stopping you from protecting me.” I scrambled for an answer.
“That’s not the same.” I said uncomfortably.
“The hell it isn’t!” Lauren shouted.
“Guys stop fighting.” Taya said. We both turn around. To our surprise Taya had finished her Sundae, and was now listening to our argument. She turned to me.
“We are coming with you Heaven. That’s final. If you’re life is in danger, so will ours’.” She said. I clenched and unclenched my fists.
“No you’re not coming.” I said, which they replied to.
“Yes we are!” A plan started forming in my head. I could go without them when they weren’t looking and then they couldn’t come.
“You know what? This argument is pointless. Let’s just go home.” I said.
“Okay, but first we have to tell her the good news.” Lauren said. I stared at her blankly. What good news?
“The track record, remember!” she turned to Taya who also looked confused.” Heaven and I both just beat the State record for the fastest run! How did you forget that Heaven?” She asked me.
“I had a lot on my mind.” I mumbled sarcastically. No one laughed at the joke.
“We should probably get home now.” I said.
“Yeah. Grams gets worried if I come home really late.” Taya said. We all hopped off of the picnic table we were sitting on and got into the car.
“So Heaven, when do you want to confront Lucas.” Lauren asked.
“Probably tomorrow afternoon.” I lied. They both nodded. We pulled up to Taya’s house.
“Goodnight.” She said when she got out of the car. We sped away, making our way to Lauren’s house. When we were pulled up in her driveway, she turned to me.
“I know you Heaven and I’m warning you because I already know you have some ridicuolous plan. Don’t leave us out of this one. He threatened us too. We want to be there when he pays.” She said.
“Okay.” I said. She gave me one hard speculating look before she jumped out of the car and went into her own house. I started driving home. Maybe I shouldn’t do this alone. I thought. Once I had safely pulled up into my own driveway I got out. Climbing up the steps, I gasped and dropped my keys. Owen was standing on my porch.

Chapter 11
“What are you doing here?” I asked, Backing up slowly and warily. “Well, I guess I can’t stay away from you.” Owen said. I took a deep shuddering breath. I looked up at his jade green eyes. My heart broke all over again.
“Owen---” I started, but he cut me off before I could get a word in.
“I don’t want to hear it. I don’t care if you think you’re protecting me. The only thing that can hurt me now is you. Please don’t.” He said. My eyes started to water. I looked down at my shoe laces.
“I never wanted to hurt you.” I said looking up at his eyes. He shook his head.
“A little too late for that.” He said. I ached to run up to him and envelope him in my arms. Never letting him leave me again.
“God. I love you so much.” I said. I shook my head. He took a step towards me and I happily met him. I put my arms around his neck, and then he kissed me.
His touch was soft and his arms wrapped around me, like the softest blanket enveloping me in warmth. I was like the universe was at a stand still when he kissed me. My head went completely blank. After a moment we had to come up for air. I looked at him, while he looked at me with the most compassionate eyes I had ever seen.
“I love you too.” I smiled at him.
“What are we going to do?” I asked frowning.
“I don’t care.” He said, and then he kissed me again. Whatever thoughts were going through my head completely vanished from my mind. With a startled gasp I deepened the kiss.
Later that evening I sat on my bead and thought about what had just happened. I smiled self-consciously. Owen had left with a simple but loving goodbye. If this was what love felt like, no wonder all those kids got married so young. Love really did conquer all. I laid in bed the entire night, not getting a wink of sleep, but I was still energized when the next morning came. I skipped down the stairs, and headed out the door. Owen’s car was waiting for me in the driveway. My smile got wider still. I jumped into the passenger seat, and leaned over the stick shift to kiss him on the cheek.
“Good morning I murmured happily. Owen was smiling as well.
“You ready to go?” he asked.
“Yep.” Was all I said. My face set into a scowl of determination. He pulled out of the driveway, and sped off to school. I called Lauren on the way there to make sure she knew that I had gotten a ride home. I pressed number two on speed dial. It only rang once before I heard Lauren’s voice on the line.
“Heaven? You okay? I’ll be at your house soon.” she said.
“Actually,” I said,” I got a ride, thanks for asking though.
“What?! Is it Lucas? Is he there? Hand the phone to him. I got some word he needs to hear.” she growled.
“Hey! Hey! Calm down I’m not with Lucas.” As I said his name, Owen’s hands tightened on the wheel. “I’m with owen.” I said quietly.
“What?!?!?” Lauren screamed in the phone.” How did you get there? Did you guys make up? Come on Heaven, You have got to give me some details.”
“I’ll tell you at lunch. Bye Lauren.” I said
“Oh no you don’t. Don’t you dare ha---” I hung up. We had made it to school. Owen and I both got out. He walked around to my side of the car, and put his hands on my waist.
“You call me if anything happens right?” I nod my head in assurance. He leans down and kisses me softly, but gingerly on the lips. I kissed him back for a few seconds, then pulled back.
“I’ll see you later.” I said.
“I’ll pick you up for school.” he said.
“Okay.” I replied. HE got back in the truck, and sped away. I made my way through the parking lot, and into school. I could see Lucas in the corner of my eye scowling viciously. I ignored him.
“Okay.” I replied. He got back in the truck, and sped away. I made my way through the parking lot, and into school. I could still see Lucas standing by his car, an expression of pure fury written all over his face. I ignored him, walking down the long hallway to my classroom. Maybe he would get the hint and back off for once.
Class was boring. I sat at my desk, staring out the window at nothingness. Finally after an excruciating hour and a half, the bell finally rang. I jumped out of my seat, and was onto my next class before anyone could even get out of their seat. Staying close to teachers and faculty I avoided everyone. Lauren and Taya finally caught up to me at lunch.
“What are you thinking?” Was the first thing out of Lauren’s mouth as she sat down next to me. Taya sat on my other side, trapping me between the two of them.
“Owen? Again?” Taya said, exasperated. I sighed, knowing the lecture was about to begin.
“What happened the last time you got with Owen?” Lauren asked. “Total disaster.” she answered her question before I could get another word in.
“That’s not going to happen this time.” I said firmly.
“How can you stop it?” Taya asked, outraged. I shook my head gravely.
“Don’t you see?” I said.” He wants us to give in. To give up our lives. Not hanging out with Owen would just be me giving into him. That’s not going to happen.” I said firmly.
“How do you know.” Taya asked again.
“Because I can’t live with that happening again.” I sobbed. Lauren pulled my into a tight hug. I openly sobbed into her shoulder.
“It’s okay. It’s okay.” She whispered in my ear.
“No. It’s not. I need to get over myself.” I sniffed, and got up.
“Let’s go talk to Lucas now!” I said. We spotted him almost instantly. His self-absorbed aura wafted around him like an invisible membrane. I stepped towards him, and he looked up. A smirk appeared on his face, as a scowl appeared on mine.
“Hey heaven, got my messages?” Taya stiffened beside me. I squeezed her hand.
“Loud and clear. You know, I do have a cell phone.” I said.
“Yeah but my way was more fun.” He said. My scowl enlarged. His smirk widened.
“I’m guessing there’s something you want to tell me.” He prompted.
“Oh yeah. Get the F*** out of my life.” I turned in heal and fast walked away.
I dug my nails into my hand as I waited. Sitting on the edge of the sidewalk, I looked all around the empty parking lot. No one came. I sighed, and started walking the long way to my house. Leaves were falling off the autumn colored leaves, as I walked down the straight, but narrow street. Wind blew at my hair, and tugged at my jacket. A cold shiver danced up my spine. The eerie silence was starting to scare me. I broke into a jog. I could feel a gaze on me. I turned around and nothing was there. I continued walking a steady pace. The feeling came back. I turned again, just to see everything just like it was. The tension in the air increased. I couldn’t help it anymore. I broke into an all out sprint. I didn’t look behind me until I got to my front door. There was still nothing behind me. Man was I getting paranoid! Once safely in my room, I flounced onto the bed and dialed owen’s number. It rang, and then went straight to voicemail.
“Hey Owen, it’s Heaven. I was just calling to see if you were okay. Call me as soon as you get this.” I said, then hung up. I bit my lip. I swear if I didn’t stop worrying soon, I would start getting grey hair.
I laid down on my bed, and put my hands under my head. I waited. And waited. And waited. My phone that was set on the bedside table didn’t buzz. It didn’t beep, or ring. I let my mind wander as I stared up at the ceiling. Why hand’t Owen picked me up? Where was Owen? What was that strange feeling I got while walking?
My phone buzzed, and I shot up into sitting position. I grabbed my phone from the night stand and pressed talk.
“Hello? Owen?” I answered. There was a mumbling sigh on the other side of the line.
“Hey Heaven. Yeah it’s me.” He said. I sighed in relief.
“Where have you been? I have been worried sick.” I asked.
“One of the teachers roped me into tutoring a kid. I didn’t have a chance to call you. Sorry. Did you get a ride home?” He asked.
“Yeah. I just walked. It was good for me to get some exercise with track team in all.” I said.
“Good. I am really sorry about not giving you a ride. When Mr. Wilson makes up his mind, there’s no way you can sway him.” I loved the way he would apologize for every little thing.
“Seriously. It was no big deal. I don’t live that far away from school.” I said.
“Still sorry.” He said. I could hear the smile in his voice. I stifled the giggle that threatened to come out of my mouth.
“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said.
“Okay. I’ll pick you up at around seven for school.” He said.
“Kay. Please get home safely. I worry about you.” I said. He laughed.
“Gees. You worry way too much.”
“Only because I love you.” I said in a teasing tone.
“Right back at’ cha.” he said. I smiled.
“Bye.” I said.
“Bye.” We hung up. I sighed wistfully, and laid my head down onto my pillow. Dark clouds surrounded my vision as my eyelids drooped. I snuggled deeper into my pillow, breathing in the fresh cotton sent. My eyelids fell further, and I let them. I slipped into a peaceful sleep.
I found myself walking down a dark street. The only light was coming from the dirty lightbulb on a pole. I walked further down the street. A gust of wind blew my hair out of my face. Across the street were a pair of eyes. Golden brown, and smoldering. They looked at me. I stared back at them. I stepped back, and turned away, but then the eyes just appeared. In front of my again. Running now I made my way down the opposite side of the street. The eyes followed me like fog. Everywhere I turned they were there. They advanced on me from all sides. Smothering me like a blanket. I choked as air refused to fill my lungs. With a great effort I gathered my last breath and screamed.
I woke up from the awful dream. Panting I smoothed my hair down and concentrated on controlling my breathing. It was just a dream. I chanted in my head. I still scared me stiff. I laid back into my pillow and moaned softly. I couldn’t go back to sleep now. I was terrified. So all night I laid there, legs crossed, staring at nothing. I waited for the sun to rise, and the new day to begin.
Finally after hours and hours of waiting my alarm clock buzzed. I got up, and made my way to the shower. Getting ready for school took longer than I thought it would. I dragged my feet ever so slowly, and my movements were stiff. I studied my reflection in the mirror as I brushed my honey-brown hair. My eyes looked hollow and haunted. Dark circles were under my eyes, and my hair hung limply on my shoulders. I looked weak. Fragile. Walking down stairs I put together my mask of fake cheerfulness. A horn outside. I opened the door and hurried to Owens car. It was pouring down raining.
“Hey.” Owen said as I got in the car. I smiled and leaned across the seat to peck him on the cheek.
“Hey.” I whispered back.
“How was you night?” He asked. I scowled on the inside.
“Good.” I lied,” and yours? I asked.
“Fine.” He said, eyeing me suspiciously. I smiled another fake smile.
“I have track practice this afternoon. I won’t need a ride. I’ll just get Lauren or Taya to give me a ride.”
“It’s okay. I would like to see you practice.” It was my turn to look at him suspiciously.
“You sure? I’m pretty sure they won’t mind.” I asked.
“It’s fine. Really.” He reassured.
“Well, then I’ll see you at practice. Bye.” We had arrived at the school parking lot. I leaned across the seat and pecked him on the lips. I was raining outside. The wind blew at my hair as I made my way up the stairs, into the building. Inside school, people crowded the dimly lit hallways. It smelled must and congested. Squeezing through the hordes, I made my way to my locker. People grumbled as they passed me by. Here in Los Angeles, we were not used to rain. Gathering my books I made my way to first block. Algebra 2. UGH! There were so many things I’d rather be doing right now. Algebra two was very difficult, and my teacher, Mr. Nelson didn’t help with that. He was really strict, and barley gave you any help. Inside the cramped classroom I set my books down on my desk in the back of the room, and sat. Leaning back in my seat, I took in the view. Mr. Nelson was sitting at his desk in the front of the room, and had his head bent down, studying the papers in his hands. Students around me were turned around and talking in groups. I sat there and stared into space.
Mr. Nelson got up after a while, and started to teach his confusing lesson. UI stared at him blankly. What is he talking about??? I’m definitely going to need some help if I was going to pass this class.
Mr. Nelson droned on and on about some random quadratic symbols or something. Someone save me!!!!!
RRRIIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! The bell.
My savior. I got up, and was about to zoom out of the classroom, when Mr. Nelson called my name. I grimaced, but quickly covered it up with a fake smile and turned back around. Mr. Nelson was standing beside his deck with his eyebrows furrowed.
“Yes Mr. Nelson?” I asked.
“You are failing my class Heaven.” He stated the obvious fact.
“I know. I just am having some trouble with the material. That’s all.” I said convincingly. He frowned at me.
“If you fail the next test you’ll have to come back to my class next year, and take the course again.” He said. My eyes widened.
“Oh no. Please no! There’s got to be something I can do.” I said frantically.
“Well you could try tutoring.” He said.
“Yes. Please yes. I need to pass this class.” I said.
“I agree. That’s why I’m assigning the best tutor in our grade.” My eyes widened until they were almost popping out of my head.
“No way. Not going to happen. Lucas will not be tutoring me. I’d rather fail.” I said firmly.
“I’m afraid I going to have to insist.” He said.
“Please no. Anyone else. There has to someone else that can tutor me.” I pleaded.
“Lucas is the best tutor in this school. He is the only person who can get you to pass my class. You should be thankful he suggested tutoring you.” He said.
“What?!” I said
“Lucas saw that you were struggling and asked if he could tutor you. Now stop whining. You should be grateful. You’re dismissed.
I walked stiffly out of the class room. A scowl was permanently etched on my face. I got Lauren and Taya when they were walking in the hallways.
“What is it Heaven? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Taya asked.
“You know how I was failing algebra?”I asked. They look at each other and nodded. “Well Mr. Nelson called me after class, and said the he assigned me a tutor.” I whisper- yelled.
“What is so bad about that?” Lauren asked.
“What is bad is who my tutor is. He said the only one who could help me at this point was the best tutor int the school.” Their eyes widened in shocking understanding.
“What?!?!” They yelled in unison.
“And that’s not the worst part. Apparently Lucas ‘saw’ that I was failing, and offered to tutor me.”
“That tease!” Lauren exclaimed.
“I know!” I exclaimed.
“What are we going to do?” Taya asked. She was worried.
“I don’t know yet, but I will not be getting tutored by Him. That I am certain of.” I said firmly.
“You should probably tell Owen about this. Maybe he can teach Lucas a lesson.” Lauren said.
“I don’t know. I don’t want Owen getting hurt.”
“Oh come on! The lack of confidence you have in your boyfriend is startling.” Taya said.
“It’s not just that I don’t want him getting hurt, it’s more I don’t want him getting sent to juvie for killing Lucas.” I said. Lauren snorted.
“Yeah that would happen.” She says sarcastically. I look at my watch. Great, I’m going t o be late for my next class.
“Sorry guys I have to go. See you at lunch.” I said.
“Kay. If you need any help disposing of Lucas’ body, I’ll be glad to help.” Taya said. We all walked in other directions for our classes. I made it to my English class three minutes late, and my teacher, Mrs. Anderson. She looked to me when I stepped into the room.
“It’s nice of you to join us Ms. Flowers.” My cheeks turned red, and I scurried to my seat in the back of the classroom. She gave me a hard stare before starting her lecture again. I grabbed my notebook, and started doodling on the cover.
About halfway through class a note laded on my desk. I looked up, and saw Matthew smirking at my. I warily took the note, and opened it.
You made Lucas very unhappy today. I’d watch my back if I were you. Make sure you keep your pretty boy safe too. WE wouldn’t want a repeat of last time.
I scowled at the paper in my hands, and turned to face Matthew. After giving him a rude gesture with my finger, I hurled the now balled up piece of paper at his head. He caught it before it could reach his face, and winked at me. I clenched my teeth in attempt to calm down. This was going to be one long class period.

ENWoods BRONZE said...
on Jan. 7 2017 at 5:44 pm
ENWoods BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island
Will you make a sequel continuing the story?? I want to know more!!!

on Nov. 5 2011 at 5:02 pm
DEROSSETT BRONZE, Hampton, Virginia

Of course I will be continuing it I just need to write a little more.  I want to give you guys more than just another chapter to read:D

on Oct. 27 2011 at 4:31 pm
nicereader9898, Hampton, Virginia

"I write because life is a jail."

i made an account!!!!!!!! :)

boocc1999 said...
on Oct. 26 2011 at 7:19 pm
will u continue it?

on Oct. 25 2011 at 8:10 pm
i really like the way you write your book. it makes me not want to stop reading it. You could be a great author other one day.

on Oct. 24 2011 at 9:35 pm
DEROSSETT BRONZE, Hampton, Virginia

I will probably just keep posting the new stuff on this book!

on Oct. 24 2011 at 8:55 pm
Very interesting. Is your next book gonna add to it?

nicereader said...
on Oct. 24 2011 at 8:53 pm
i really thought it was interesting. Is your next book gonna add to it?

on Oct. 22 2011 at 12:40 pm
DEROSSETT BRONZE, Hampton, Virginia

Plese tell me what you think!!!!!!!

I need all the help I can get:):):):)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!