Keepers | Teen Ink

Keepers

September 29, 2011
By headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland
More by this author
headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Right now I’m in that stage that curses those in it, but anyone who isn’t in it wants to be. That stage is #3 in life, called being a teenager. Usually at this time most would have friend problems, hormones going crazy, emotions on a roller coaster, and LOTS of zits. There are some that miss some of these glorious traits (I’m being sarcastic) and they should be proud. But, no teen is the same to the last DNA strand. We have different feeling and changes going on, so the effect of this causes us losses and gains of people and ideas. I, however, am WAY out of the baseball field that is the range of teenagers. If the field were in New York, I would be on Pluto. If you don’t understand what I’m trying to say then let me put my thoughts into laments terms for you. I’m REALLY weird! Oh! I’m alien weird compared to most! Unlike most I have very few like me. Vampires have their groups, Goths have their friends, cheerleaders have their clicks, and nerds have their clubs. But I am in a smaller group than vampires even after many were killed in a fight between humans and vampires. Luckily our small town was at peace after the small fight of vampires rights, but then I found out I wasn’t normal. I was sent a letter from a group that was being hunted by all. It was for a school that most hated and it is placed about 20 miles away from me in the middle of nowhere. It was a school for the Keepers. Yes, you are probably not familiar with my terminology, but that is what my kind is called. Supposedly if you get this letter of acceptance into a school you didn’t even ask to be in you were ‘special’. Not as in the special your parents tell you are when you are a kid, oh no. It is the special as in you are going to be shunned by society and called a freak.
Yes, of course the first thought I had when I got this letter was ‘whom am I going to tell first’. Yea right! Actually, my first thought was ‘Where should I hide first?!’ What else would you expect? I was a freak enough before I got this stupid letter and now I’m going to be a dead super freak! That’s the best thing to find out on you 16th birthday, right? Wrong! I cried for so long that I only got 2 hours of sleep and I had school in the morning. I begged my parents to let me stay home, but they wouldn’t. So I slammed my door before I got ready. I put on a pair of baggy jeans that were so loose that you could see my underwear over the top, a green tank top, a pair of silver hoop earrings, my locket, and a black pair of flip-flops. Then I noticed that I had a black line that ringed around my neck, which was the sign of the beginning change into a keeper. After I got my makeup on and got fully ready I left my room. As I left the house I grabbed my black messenger bag and stomped out. On my ten-minute walk I read the letter over and over, but the letter on the piece of fine paper wouldn’t change for me! A student from my school saw me holding the letter, so I quickly put it in my bag. I stuck my hands in my pockets of my jeans and trudged to school with a frown that seemed to most like it was stuck on my face for all of eternity.
“Man! I didn’t think it was possible!” I heard a guy with a group of friends said while I walked past.
“What was possible?” His friends asked as he lit a second joint.
“She could get any uglier!” The guy laughed as he pointed to me. I stopped walking at turned to the guys.
“Do you have a problem?” I asked as I took my hands out of my pockets and put them on my hips.
“Yea.” He said with a high smile as he took his joint out of his mouth.
“Well at least I’m not a druggy, like you!” I yelled.
“Shut up you sucker!” He yelled to me as he threw his joint on the ground and stomped it out.
“What’d you say?!” I yelled as my fangs showed. “If you don’t shut up I’ll make you my next meal!”
As the guy’s eyes got bigger I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder. I turned to his Royal Highness of the vampires. Even though he was my best friend I still had to think of him as his Royal Highness. He kindly smiled at me and I put my fangs away. He stared at the guy as his beautiful eyes went from kind blue gems to deep, endless holes of gray.
“I believe it would be in your best interest to leave her alone.” He said in a deep, scary voice that didn’t sound like him.
“Let’s get out of here!” The guy yelled as he and his friends started to walk off.
“Hey! I’m not done talking to…” I started to yell, but his Royal Highness put his hand over my mouth. Once the guys were out of sight I looked up at his Royal Highness with a frown. “You shouldn’t have done that. I could’ve taken them.” I protested as he took his hands off of me.
“I have no doubt that you could’ve. I just don’t want you to get in trouble.” He said with a friendly smile.
“Shouldn’t you be with Crystal? You know, your human girlfriend.” I said with a frown of jealously.
“She’s not my girlfriend. I don’t like human girls.” He said with a smile.
“She hangs onto you like a dog and she wishes you were hers.” I replied and he smiled, getting my hint of jealously.
“Is something wrong? You seem really mad today.” He said, seeing through me like a window. I blushed and tried not to hint what I had gotten yesterday. “I went by your house yesterday. I was going to tell you happy birthday, but then I saw you crying in your room. Did something happen?” He asked as he held my hands in his like I always wished he would.
“You saw that?” I asked, as I blushed even more.
He nodded and smiled. “Did something happen? You can tell me.”
“Why do you even care?” I asked as I tried to stop blushing.
“Why shouldn’t I? I care about you, Liz. I really do. You’re my best friend.” He said. “Please tell me what’s wrong. I want to help.”
I couldn’t resist his kindness and decided to tell him. I knew he wouldn’t rat me out. “I’m a monster.”
“What?” He asked curiously.
I took the note out and handed it to him. “I’m becoming one of ‘them.’” I said.
He read the note and looked at me with sorrow. “You’ve been chosen as one of them?” He asked.
“I guess.” I said as I held back tears.
“Is there any way to get out of it?” He asked.
“Not that I know of.” I said.
“I’m sorry.” He said as he cupped my face in his hand.
“Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” I said.
He let go of my face and pulled his fingers through his hair with stress.
“Of all days!” He said with a sigh.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“I wanted to give you some good news, but now it seems stupid.” He said.
“Tell me.” I said with a slight smile.
“My father chose my bride.” He said.
“Really? I’ll have to congratulate Allie.” I said. I remembered that the king had been deciding his bride that he would marry in two years. The candidates were only full blood vampire princesses. So the choices were Allie, Gwen, Jenny, or I. I was sure Allie had been chosen because she is the most proper.
“Actually she isn’t the person. My father decided to choose whomever he thought would make me happy.” He said with a smile.
“So was it Gwen. No, she is rude. But Jenny isn’t any better.” I said, thinking out loud.
“No. He chose you.” He said with a smile.
My face felt like it was on fire! “What?!” I yelled in disbelief.
“But now that you are going to be a keeper it may be hard to get married.”
“Luke! Don’t toy with me!” I said as I stood there in shock.
“I’m not toying with you. I would never do that. My father chose you because he asked me if I loved anyone yet and I told him I loved you. He was surprised, but it is the truth.” He said and smiled.
“But I’m a keeper! You can’t love me!” I yelled.
“I don’t care. I’ll love you no matter what you are.” He said with a smile.
I felt a tear escape me and he brushed it away. Then he kissed my lips and I fell under his gorgeous trance.
“Liz, will you marry me?” He asked with a smile.
He handed me a ring and blushed, which was the first time in all the 12 years I had known him that I had seen him blush.
I took the silver band that had one medium sized red ruby on it. I wanted to say yes, but I didn’t want him to get married to a keeper. I handed it back to him and started to cry. “I wish I could take it Luke, but I can’t let you marry me. I’m a monster and I don’t want to hurt you by being one.”
“Liz…” He said with sorrow. “You won’t hurt me by saying yes even if you are going to be a keeper. You’re still the girl I love.” He put the ring back into my hand and closed my hand over it. “Think about it today and you can tell me tomorrow morning. I’ll walk with you to school.” He said and then he walked off. I stood there in shock until I heard the school bell ring 5 minutes later. I quickly ran to the school and went inside. The hall was empty except for the devil himself. Actually, he was the principal of the school, but he hated me and always loved to get me in trouble. He smiled his evil smile as he saw me run inside.
“Late again?” He asked.
“Just give me the detention and get it over with.” I said as I put my hands in my pockets. I let go of the ring so it would stay in my pocket. Then the devil walked over to me and handed me a pink slip.
“I’ll see you after school, Miss Night.” He said.
“Can’t today Sir.” I said. “I’ve got a meeting with a judge.” I lied and he believed it.
“I’m not surprised. Well then if that is what you are doing, then I guess I’ll let you go this time.” He said.
“Really?” I asked and he smiled. A chill went down my spine as I saw his smile.
“Yea. But you will have to give me a 50-page report on your meeting. I’ll expect it tomorrow.” He said and then walked off. I ran to my locker, put my bag up, got my stuff for class and ran to the room. I knocked on the door and then came in. My teacher sighed as I came in.
“Late again, Miss Night?” Mr. Keptler said.
“Just trying to stay in habit, Mr. Keptler.” I said with a smile.
“And no uniform, I see?” He asked as he put his tardy sheet on his desk and then crossed his arms across his chest.
“Didn’t feel like it today, Sir. Sorry.” I said with another grin and many people in the class chuckled.
“Miss Night, please go to the front office and change into a spare.” He said.
“Fine, fine. I’ll be back.” I said and then I left the class. I went down to the office and the secretary gave me a spare change of the uniform. I put on the plaid red and black-checkered skirt, and then changed into the white button up top. I pulled the collar together and buttoned it so that my chocker tattoo wouldn’t show. Then I put my locket over the shirt so that it could be seen and let down my hair. They hated when girls showed their necks because there were vampires at the school, so it was mandatory that I put my hair down. I did so and it reached to the middle of my back. All the other girls envied my dark brown hair because it was beautiful. And since, for my birthday, I got my hair layered and got side bangs it was stunning. I smiled at my reflection and then picked up my books that were on the toilet of the small one-person bathroom I was using. I went back to the office and gave my cloths to the secretary. Then I went back to class and opened the door. My teacher smiled when he saw me now that I looked like all the other preppy girls at my school. It bugged me to look like them, but my beauty made them mad so I bared it.
“Much better. Now please take your seat.” Mr. Keptler said. I said in my assigned seat that was in the middle row of the room. I was behind Julie S. and in front of Dana M. One of my few girl friends was to my right; her name was Anna B. She smiled at me and then I looked to my left. Luke was there and he was staring at me. I gave a faint smile to him and he looked at me hands. He noticed the ring wasn’t on either of them and then he looked sad. I sat down and took the ring out of my pocket. I put under my desk and coughed. He looked over and saw it. I smiled at him and he smiled back. Then I put it back as the teacher talked.
There was a knock at the door and a tall man walked in. He looked at Mr. Keptler and smiled.
“Sorry to interrupt, Sir.” The man said kindly.
“Is there something you need?” Mr. Keptler asked.
“Yes. I need Miss Night.” He said.
“Um…and for what reason? I can’t let my student walk out without a good reason.” Mr. Keptler said.
“She is going to be transferring schools soon and I need to get her to fill out some papers.” He said.
“Transfer? For what ever reason?” He asked.
“She has been tattooed.” He said and there were many gasps across the room.
“What?! Tattooed?!” Mr. Keptler yelled.
“Yes. I am the Principal for Keeper Private School and have come for Miss Night’s transfer papers.” He said and Luke looked at me as I was almost in tears. I quickly got up and went up to the two men.
“Is he telling the truth, Miss Night?” Mr. Keptler asked.
“Yea.” I said as I looked at the ground and everyone was in shock.
“Come.” The man said and I felt my tattoo scream in pain at his demand. I quickly grabbed my throat and held back tears. I started to leave, but turned back to the class and looked at Mr. Keptler.
“Sorry, Sir. I’ll be right back.” I said and then shut the door.
I stopped outside of the door and the man looked at me.
“I think you’ve made a mistake, Sir. I’m a vampire so I can’t also be a Keeper.”
“I know that is usually the case, but you are different. I don’t know why but goddess Aphrodite has given you this gift regardless. She must see potential in you.” He said.
“Is there any way to give back this ‘gift’?” I asked, being sarcastic on the word.
“No. Now come along.” He said rudely and then we walked down to the office. The man asked for my papers and then he explained to the secretary why they were needed. He then sat down at a small desk and he went through the papers. I sat across from him and stared as he searched the papers. “Sign your full name here.” He said as he pointed to a blank line on the sheet. I tried to argue but when he demanded it of me my painful mark made me do it. Once we were done filling out the papers he sent me back to my class. But before I left he handed me 2 letters and said to read the one that had my name on it after school. I stuck the letter in my locker and opened the door of my class. Mr. Keptler looked at me with fear like all my classmates except for Anna and Luke. As I walked to my seat I felt like a criminal being sent to my demise and they were the crowd watching my last remaining moments to live. I sat in my seat and Mr. Keptler stared at me.
“Dude! Stop staring and do your job!” I yelled to Mr. Keptler who jumped at the same time as the other kids when they saw my fangs. Then the teacher stuttered as he taught for the rest of the class. I held back tears as I looked at my desk and ignored staring eyes. Luke put his hand out to touch me, but I looked at him and he saw how upset I was. He immediately pulled his hand back and looked straight ahead.
When the bell rang I quickly ran out of the class ahead of everyone else. I ran to my locker and then the class left the classroom. Immediately my demise was spread across the halls like wildfire. I was stared at like a wild animal in a cage that was deformed. I stuck my head in my locker and let one tear fall. Then I grabbed my books and slammed my locker. Many people jumped slightly as the slamming noise went through the hall. Anna staggered over to me and smiled like she was in a weird situation and was pretending to be my friend.
“You okay?” She asked as she slowly put her hand on my shoulder.
“It’s fine you know. I get if you run away and stare like everyone else. I’m a freak and deserve it.” I said as I looked at my books. Her hand fell off of me.
“Liz…” She said and I smiled to her.
“Go hang out with your boyfriend. He probably wants to see you.” I said and she walked off. As I walked down the hall and everyone watched me I held back tears of anger and sadness. I finally got to my second class, but it wasn’t what I hoped. The teacher looked at me with fear and everyone moved out of my way as I walked. Sadly Luke wasn’t in my class and I only had my now ex-friend Erica in the class. I sat through the class and didn’t listen for the whole thing until the teacher said great news.
“Don’t forget, everyone, this will be your last class for the day since the upper classman are having exams and the school needs to be quiet for them.” The teacher said and I almost ran to her and hugged her fat body. The bell rang and I almost cried of joy! I walked out of the class and quickly went to my locker. I got my bag and ran out of the school. I heard Luke yell for me, but I saw Crystal grab him. She was the prettiest girl in school so I knew he wouldn’t push her away for a freak like me. I walked down the street that lead my house and held back more tears. I heard people whispering about me as I passed and then I finally got to a street where no one was. I sat on the sidewalk and leaned against a building. I got the letters out of my bag and read the one that had my name on it.
===============================================================

Dear Miss Night,
Goddess Aphrodite has made a decision. She has made it so that you won’t be the only vampire that will turn into a Keeper.
She has informed us that there is another that will join us from your current school and also become a Keeper with you.
Please give the blank letter to Mr. Blood for us. We believe that it would be better for both of you if you were the one to give this to him.
We will see you at our school tomorrow to get situated for your stay at our school. Please show up at 7 pm, sharp.
Well will be waiting on your arrival.
Principal Saster

My heart stopped when I read the name. I knew whom they wanted and I hated that I had to tell him. I didn’t want to, but if he didn’t go with me he would die from disease that can only be cured by keepers. A fast moving person looked at me as he or she passed the street. Then I heard the person turn around and then run to me. It was Luke! When he stopped running he sat next to me and I started to cry.
“Oh god, Liz! I’m sorry about everyone else!” He said as he put his hand on my leg.
I cried harder! “No! Luke! I’m sorry!” I cried.
“What?” He asked. I handed him the blank letter and he looked confused.
“They want you too.” I said as I cried. He read the letter and I cried for him as he did. But when he was done he smiled.
“It’s okay Liz.” He said.
“No it isn’t! You’re the nicest guy ever to live and now they want to take your life from you! Why?! They should only smite those who are not nice, like me! You don’t deserve this! I’m going to kill them if they make you go with me!” I yelled as I put my hands into fists.
“Liz. I’m glad they want me.” He said with a smile.
“What?” I asked as I stopped crying and he smiled.
“I get to leave Crystal.” He said with a smile. “And I get to be with you.”
“You’re too nice.” I said as I cried more and he hugged me. I hugged him back and we stayed like that until I stopped crying.
“Now we have nothing to stop us from being together. I’m a monster too.” He said with a smile.
“I’m sorry you are.” I said.
“Well now I can ask you again. Liz, will you marry me?” He asked and I took out his ring.
“Yes.” I said. “I’ll marry a monster.” I said with a goofy smile and he laughed as he took his ring and put it on my finger. I smiled and he kissed me.
“So I guess we’ll need to pack.” He said with a smile.
“Yea. I should go home. It’ll take me a while to get everything together before the ball tonight.” I said as we stood and started walking towards my house. Not to mention we held hands the whole way there! My dreams come true! Even though I’m not girly, I can still dream about that stuff, can’t I?
“Right! The ball!” He said as he slightly squeezed my hand and I blushed.
“It’s at your mansion, right?” I asked.
“Yea. And my dad will announce our engagement, since I know you will want to tell your family.” He said with a smile as he looked at the ring.
“Great! The other girls hated me before, but now they might kill me!” I said sarcastically and he laughed.
“I think all the guys will come after me once they find out.” He said with another laugh.
“Why? They like the girly girls.” I said.
“No, just like me, they like what is hard to get. But the other girls throw themselves at us, so they only like you because you don’t.” He said.
“Really? The really great thing accepting this is I get to gloat!” I said and smiled.
“Is that all?” He asked, slightly sad.
“Of course not! That’s just a great bonus. Getting to live my dream is the best part.” I said and then I realized what I had just said. He was smiling and I started freaking out. “What I mean…that’s to say…” I babbled and he hugged me as he stopped walking.
“So you’ve liked me too?” He asked and I blushed as I nodded. “For how long?”
“Ever…ever since I met you for the first time on my fifth birthday.” I said.
“Why didn’t you let me know?” He asked.
“I fell in love with you before I found out you were the Prince. Then I thought it was wrong to love you, since I barely had a chance to be your bride, so I kept quiet.”
“I’ve liked you since then too.” I said as he kissed the crown of my head.
“But I’m so mean to other and don’t fit in. Why would you like me?” I asked.
“I don’t know. But I never stopped liking you in all the twelve years we’ve been friends.” He said.
“Then why did you go out with all the other candidates if you like me?” I asked as I laid my head on his chest.
“I was too nervous that you would reject me.” He said as he blushed.
“You should’ve tried because I couldn’t ask you out since I am a lower rank.” I said as I looked at him. He kissed me deeper than he ever had. Even though he had never dated me, he had still kissed me and then usually I would slap his face. So out of habit I picked up my hand and he closed his eyes, thinking I would hit him like normal. But this time I slowly lowered my hand on his cheek and kissed him for the first time in my life. When we finally stopped he was breathing hard just like me.
“You’re really good at kissing.” He said.
“I’ve had experience.” I said as I let go of his hands and started to walk off.
He quickly followed. “What?! With whom?!” He yelled.
“That’s classified.” I called over my shoulder and he started to run after me, so I ran too. I ran though the park that was near my house and then he caught up to me. He grabbed my hand and I tripped as he did. He landed on me like what would happen ‘accidentally’ in a movie. I loved it even though it was clichéd. He kissed me and I kissed him back. He started to unbutton my top and I quickly came out of my trance. I sat up and grabbed his hand. He looked at me with confusion. I wanted to go further like he did, but I couldn’t let someone see us. “I want to but we can’t. Especially not here.” I said. He got up and then helped me up. I closed my shirt and look at him and felt bad. I wanted to be his and I wanted him to be mine, but I couldn’t do that. I still needed to do something before that and needed to tell Luke something too. We started to walk to my house but I stopped and he looked at me curiously.
“I need to tell you something. I think you need to know.” I said.
“Talk.” He said.
“I can’t accept this.” I said as I handed him the ring back. “Not yet.”
“What?” He asked.
“When we were doing that I remembered I still am dating someone. Once I dump him I can accept that. But I can’t before then because it would hurt and him.” I said and he held my hands.
“I’ll wait.” I said with a smile.
“Can I have it back at the ball? I really wish I didn’t have to give it up.” I said.
“Sure. Get your situation fixed and I’ll give it back.” He said with a smile.
We stayed like that until, speaking of the devil; my boyfriends voice shocked me out of Luke’s trance. “What the hell?!” My muscular boyfriend yelled from inside the park near us. He and his gang walked over and I let go of Luke. “Who is this?!”
“My friend.” I said as I looked at my boyfriend.
“It looked like you like him more than a friend for a second there. Are you cheating on me?!” He yelled.
“I’m not. This is just my friend Luke. Luke, this is my boyfriend Dylan.” I said.
“Nice to meet you.” Luke said kindly.
“Yea, yea.” Dylan said with a frown.
I hoped Dylan would leave Luke alone. “Dylan. We need to talk.” I said.
“Alright. Talk.” He said and he pulled me to him and then he kissed me.
“I’ll be frank. We need to break up.” I said and he let go of me.
“What?!” He yelled.
“My parent’s have put me in an arranged marriage, so we need to end this.” I said.
“Hell no! I just got you from Justin and I ‘aint given you up so quickly!” He yelled as he grabbed my wrist.
“Let go. We’re over Dylan.” I said and he squeezed my wrist.
“We’re not over until I say we’re over!” He yelled and I got pissed off.
“Let go!” I yelled.
“Why don’t you make me sweetie!” He yelled and I smiled. I lifted my foot and kicked him in the mouth. He fell back and yelled. He held his hand over his bleeding mouth as he got up.
“We’re over! Get through your skull! You’re stupid gang can’t own me!” I yelled as my fangs showed.
“You b****!” He yelled. “Get away from me!” He yelled through his hand and I walked off. Luke followed me and we didn’t talk until we were at my front door. I felt bad that he had to see that.
“Why were you dating a gang member?” He asked.
“In between school and meetings I started dating a guy of another gang. Dylan decided he wanted me, so he fought the guy and claimed me as his prize.” I explained and he handed me my ring back.
“Well now you’re mine, so he will never get you.” He said with a proud smile.
“And I’m glad to be yours.” I said and he smiled. He kissed me and then left. I went inside and couldn’t stop smiling as I looked at my ring.
I stayed in my room for the rest of the day and packed all of my belongings. I thought about Luke that whole time and smiled a lot. Once I was finally done and all that was left out of my boxes and suitcase was my dress, cloths for tomorrow, and my furniture. I wish I could bring my furniture, but it was too heavy for me to carry. When I was done I lay on my bed and read a book until my mother knocked on the door. She and dad had just gotten home from work.
“Hey baby! How was school?” She asked with a smile.
“Mom, I need to tell Dad and you something.” I said and she looked concerned. I got both of my letters from my new school and met then in the living room. They sat next to each other on the large couch while I sat across from them on a one-person couch.
“So what do you need to talk to us about?” Dad asked.
“I’ve gotten a letter from the Keeper Private School.” I said and they both gasped.
“But you’re a vampire! No vampire has ever also become a Keeper!” Mother yelled. I sighed.
“I know. I said the same thing to the Principal of the school and he said that Aphrodite had blessed me with the gift even tough I already have the gift of being a vampire. He said she must see great potential for me.” I explained.
“Well, luckily vampires don’t really hate the Keepers since they were our allies in the war.” Dad said and mom nodded.
“So you’re going to be the only vampire Keeper?” My mom asked.
“Actually, I am one of two.” I said.
“Two?” They asked at the same time.
“Yes. After they accepted me they accepted Prince Lukas.” I said and they gasped.
“Omigod!” My mother exclaimed.
“But that isn’t all my news…” I said as I tried to hide my smile.
“Tell! Tell!” My mother gushed.
“It has to be good if it makes you smile.” My dad joked.
“The king has chosen me to be Prince Lucas’s bride.” I said and they screamed in joy! They jumped off the couch and started dancing, literally! My mother did a few ballet moves as my father got me off the couch and started to mambo with me! I laughed and they yelled in happiness. Finally my dad got tired and they settled down. We sat back on the couches and they had trouble staying still.
“You said yes right?” My mom asked,
“Actually, I said no.” I lied and their smiled turned to frowns of disappointment. “I’m kidding!” I yelled and they smiled.
“So where’s the ring?!” My exclaimed. I stuck out my hand and she gasped. “Omigod! It’s beautiful!” She gushed.
“Very good tastes.” Dad added.
“But are you okay with me leaving and going to be a Keeper?” I asked.
“Well, do we have a choice? You’ll die if you don’t go.” Dad pointed out.
“You guys are awesome.” I said and then I hugged them.
“Alright, dear! Let’s go meet our royal in-laws!” Father yelled as he jumped off the couch. Mother did the same.
“Oh crud!” Mother exclaimed as she looked at her watch. “We only have 10 minutes until 8!” Mom yelled.
“But doesn’t it started at 8:30?” I asked.
“We need to get there early to help. I offered to help them at the last ball.” Mom said and I smiled.
“Then hurry! We got 5 minutes to change!” Dad exclaimed and all three of us ran to our rooms. I quickly put on my dress. It was a spaghetti strap red dress. It reached to the middle of my knaves. It had black spirals going all around it and showed off all my good curves. I slipped it over my head and put on my black pumps. I put my hair in a partial ponytail and used a red flower clip to pull back my bangs. I fixed my makeup and grabbed my black sash as I ran out the door. I held it up by putting it in the middle of my arms as I met my parents by the car. I got in the back, my mom got in the passenger’s seat, and dad drove. We got there one minute ahead and walked up to the door of the mansion. My mother rang the bell and the maid opened the door. She smiled and let us in. Then right as we walked in I heard screams of joy. The Queen ran down the stairs screaming and ran to my mother who was also screaming. My mother and the Queen had gone to school together and had been best friends so being almost in-laws excited them both. They hugged and jumped up and down as the King walked down the stairs in a very non-salient manor. He knew my father well and they had become friends, so immediately the King went up to my father and they shook hands.
“Hello.” The King said.
“Hey.” Dad replied.
“So I see you have gotten the news.” The King said as he looked at the jumping women near them.
“What ever gave you that idea?” My father joked and both of them laughed.
“I’m so glad that Lukas has become so fond of your daughter. I’ve wanted him to marry your daughter for so long and I’m glad he wanted to marry her also.” The King said and then looked at me. “I assume you are fond of my son also?” He asked.
“Beyond words sir.” I said with a smile.
“It’s the first time I’ve seen her smile so much since she was a child.” Father said. Then I heard someone running and Luke showed up at the top of the stairs. He ran down the stairs and straight to me. He hugged me and kissed me deeply, like most wouldn’t dare to do in front of the parents. But I don’t think he cared. Both of our mothers looked displease with our actions.
“Liz! Show some respect!” Mother called.
“Luke! Act as your title!” The Queen yelled to Luke.
“It is a pleasure to see you again, Miss.” Luke said jokingly, as he kneeled and kissed my hand, like a proper prince is supposed to.
I smiled and did what I thought was proper. “Oh no, the pleasure is all mine.” I said as he stood. Both of us tried to keep a straight face after but it didn’t last long. We started laughing so hard that I was crying. Both mothers rolled their eyes as we laughed.
“Very funny.” My mother said as she put her hands on her hips. I stopped laughing and whipped my tears away from my face. Luke did the same and then he held my hand. He lifted it to his face and kissed it. I smiled and so did our parents.
“They look like us when we were younger.” The Queen said with a smile to the King and he did the same.
“Yes, they certainly do.” The King replied and Luke smiled.
“So how can we help?” Mother asked.
“Well we are almost done, but we still need to set out the food.” The queen replied and the parents walked away. Luke looked at me and smiled.
“So are you as nervous as me?” I asked him.
“I actually can’t wait! I don’t want the other vampires to be able to get a hold of you.” He said. I blushed and he kissed me. I knew he wanted to keep going just like me, but we were interrupted by a voice.
“Excuse me!” Luke’s brother yelled. He walked from the staircase and over to us.
“What?” Luke asked as he stopped kissing me.
“Could you show off anymore?!” Luke’s brother yelled.
“Well if you got it, flaunt it!” Luke yelled.
I saw Luke’s brother’s fangs show as his hands turned into fists. I smiled at him and he calmed down. “It’s nice to see you again, Liz.” Luke’s brother said to me, ignoring Luke.
“Same to you, James.” I said with a smile.
He looked at me from my head to my toes and had a disgusting smile the whole time. Then he looked at my face again.
“If only I was as young as brother, then I would have a chance with you.” He said with a smile.
“Thank you James.” I said as I faked a smile.
“Could you stop drawling over my fiancé?!” Luke yelled and James frowned.
“Anyway Liz, once you are done with fooling with my brother, call me.” James said and then he walked off. I grabbed Luke’s waist and held him back as he tried to chase after James. Once James was out of sight Luke calmed down and I let go.
“Don’t worry, Luke. I will never leave you. Especially for James.” I said and he smiled. Then the doorbell rang and the ball was going to start.
The beginning of the ball was boring. Everyone showed up and made small talk, which I had no part in. I went outside because my phone was ringing and I knew whomever was calling wouldn’t be able to hear me over the crowd in Luke’s house.
“Hello?” I asked the phone.
“So when are you going to come back to me?” I heard someone ask and immediately I knew it was Dylan.
“I’m never coming back to you Dylan!” I yelled and then I noticed Luke near the door of his house. When he heard me say Dylan he quickly walked over.
“Hell you are! You’re my property!” He yelled.
“I’m a higher ranked vampire than you! I’m NOT your property!” I yelled and Luke tried to get the phone from me but I moved so that he missed and shook my head because I was trying to tell him that I could handle the phone call.
“I don’t give a s*** about your rank!” He yelled.
“Fine. Then come get me.” I said calmly.
“What?” Dylan asked through the phone as Luke asked me directly.
“But before you do you should know that I am now officially the one and only Vampiric Keeper to ever exist. Do you want to date a Keeper?” I asked.
“What?! Keeper!” He yelled.
“That’s right. And if you don’t stop buggin’ me I’m going to take your soul from you!” I lied. The line went dead and I quietly laughed to myself.
“Keepers take souls?” Luke asked, wide-eyed.
“Of course not. I just wanted to scare him.” I said with a smile. Then we went back into the ball together.

The rest of the ball was long and boring, and so was the rest of my night. But I didn’t wake up until I heard the doorbell ring. I was home alone because it was a Friday and so I had to get the door. I ran through the house to the front door and opened it. Luke smiled at me warmly.
“Did you just wake up?” He asked as I realized it was almost 7 at night.
“Kinda.” I said with a smile. Then I noticed in our driveway was a red convertible with a box in the back. “Is that yours?” I asked.
“Yea. Dad gave it to me as a going away present.” He said. “You should’ve seen how much mom cried.”
“Did your parents say goodbye to you?” I asked and he nodded. “Oh. Mine left and forgot to even say goodbye. Oh well.” I said with a shrug. Luke walked in and I shut the door. We went to my fairly bare room and I blushed as I noticed Luke staring at my bra that was on the ground.
“C?” He asked.
“Yea.” I said as I quickly went over and picked up my cloths from the night before. Then I went over to my dresser and started to take off my top when I remembered Luke was there. I quickly stopped before he noticed and smiled. “Could you go get my cell phone from the kitchen for me?” I asked. He nodded and then left the room. I quickly took off my pajama pants and put on bootie shorts. I took my top off and started humming Viva La Vida by Coldplay. As I unfolded my shirt that I was going to put on Luke walked in and stopped when he saw me partially naked. “Oh s***! Sorry!” I yelled as I quickly put my top on. He smiled to me and I blushed. I quickly grabbed my locket necklace and my large hoop earrings. He picked up one of my medium sized box and carried it out. I followed with the other and we put them in the back part of his car.
“You ready to go?” He asked me as he got his keys out of his pocket.
“Yea. Let me lock the door.” I said as I quickly ran to the house and locked the door. Then I ran back and sat in the passenger seat. Luke started up the car and drove down to our new school. When he parked his car in the almost empty parking lot I noticed he had a black tattoo that went around his neck. He noticed my staring and put his hand on his tattoo.
“I got it last night.” I said as he looked at mine.
“It looks good on you.” I said as I brushed my fingers across his. After a few minutes of silence we got the boxes and went into the school. We went in the first door and found the office. We went up to the secretary and she smiled as I noticed her tattoo was fully formed. It was in the shape of three strands of pearls.
“You must be Miss Night and Mr. Blood.” The lady said. We both nodded and she pointed to the corner of the room. “Put your boxes there. Someone will put them in your rooms for you. In the meantime, you two can look around campus. Today is a holiday, so children are not in classes.” She informed in.
“Thanks. When should we be back?” Luke asked.
“In half an hour.” She said kindly. Then we left the office and went outside the doors of the school. The schoolyard was fairly bare other than the extremely green grass that covered every inch of land. The only landscaping was bushes that had red and white roses covering it. There was a group of teens I had seen on my way inside that were still near the entrance. They whispered and stared at Luke and me. Then one of the girls walked over to me and smiled.
“Are you the two new students?” She asked as the rest of her group joined her.
“Yea.” I replied as I looked at their uniforms. The guys had on black slacks, a black sports coat, a white shirt, and a dark blue tie. The girls had on a black and dark blue checkered skirt and a white shirt. They all had black rings around their necks that sent chills up my spine.
“So are you single?” A guy in the group asked.
“Darin!” The girl yelled to him.
“What?!” The guy yelled. “She’s hot!”
“Excuse you.” Luke said in a surprising tone and I looked up at him. He had the same gray, endless eyes again.
“I’m sorry about him. He’s stupid.” The girl said. “By the way, I’m Anna.” She said with a warm smile.
“Elazia.” I said and they looked at me funny. “But you can call me Liz.” I said as she shook my hand.
“Lukas. Call me Luke.” Luke said with a smile as he returned to normal.
“Hey, do you guys want to hang out with us?” Another girl in the group asked.
“Sure.” I said nicely. Luke and I went up to the group and then we all walked over to a bench in the back of the school. Luke stayed extremely close to me the whole time. Then we all sat on the bench but Luke couldn’t sit by me because Darin and another guy did. He sat near us by Anna.
“I’m Sean.” The other guy next to me said with a smile. I smiled back kindly as everyone else talked to each other.
“So you never answered my question.” Darin interrupted. “Are you single?”
“No.” I said and tried not to show how much I was annoyed.
“So what’s the deal with you and Duke?” He asked.
“You mean Luke?” I asked.
“Yea.” He said with a smile.
“What does it matter to you?” Luke asked as I realized he had gotten up and was standing in front of us.
“A lot. I want to see what I will have to do to get her.” Darin said rudely as he stood and faced Luke. They were the same height so they looked eye to eye at each other and Luke’s eyes changed again.
“As long as I’m living you won’t get her.” Luke said in a deep voice and his fangs showed, but no one noticed.
“We can arrange that.” Darin said as he pushed Luke away from him. I knew that Luke would instinctively attack Darin so I quickly ran over to Luke.
“Don’t.” I said as I held his hands in mine. Then I looked over at Darin. “Sorry, but we’re already engaged.” I said and he saw the ring. Then I led Luke back to the front of the school. He was quiet as he relaxed, but he changed when we turned the corner so that we were in the front of the building where no one else was. He slowly pushed me up against the side of the school and kissed me deeply. Immediately I had the same feelings from yesterday at the park. I wanted him and he wanted me. He kept kissing me and I opened my eyes to see his eyes were red. Then his lips left mine and went down my cheekbone. His lips stopped at the further end of my neck and I knew he wanted all of me, including my blood. Then he stopped as we both heard someone walking. He stepped away from me and looked at the ground. His eyes went back to their usual blue gems as the Secretary came around the corner of the side of the school and smiled.
“You’re stuff is in your rooms. Here are your room keys.” She said she handed Luke a black key and me a dark blue key. “Miss Night, you are in the northern dorms. Mr. Blood, you are in the south dorms.” She said as she pointed. My room was on the left side of the school and Luke’s was on the right. “Your roommates will help you if you need it.” She said and then she walked back into the school.
Luke kept his gaze at the ground, so I walked over to him and took his left hand in my right. He looked up at me and seemed sorry. “Someday.” I said with a smile and he seemed relieved that I wasn’t mad. “Are you back in control?” I asked.
“Yea.” He replied as he slightly squeezed my hand.
“We have to be strong.” I said and he nodded.
“I will keep myself under control.” He said with sorrow.
“You don’t have to forever. I want you to be mine also, but not now. We have to keep our instincts under control in front of others.” I said.
“I know. I will try.”
“So will I. But I am looking forward to the day that we can be together.” I kissed his cheek and he smiled.
“I’ll walk you to your room.” He said and we went into the school. We walked to where the Secretary had pointed to my room and found a large staircase. We went up it and at the end of it was a dark blue door. We could hear music and chatter coming from behind the door. I knocked and a girl that reminded me of a playboy bunny opened it. She had curly, blond locks of hair that framed her face and went past her shoulders. She had fairly large boobs, but not as big as mine. She was skinny and short, and covered from head to toe in pink. A light pink shirt, a hot pink pair of sweatpants, and a pair of running shoes to match.
“Hi!” She said in a squeaky voice as I noticed her tattoo. “Can I help you?”
“Yea, we’re looking for room 206.” I said as I read the number on my key.
“Oh! You must be Mimi’s new roommate! Come on in!” She said as she widened the door and I could see what was behind. There were about 20 girls in a long hall dancing and laughing near a pink boom box. I walked in and Luke started to follow, but the bunny put her arm across the doorway. “Sorry, but no boys allowed past this point. It’s a rule.” She said and Luke smiled.
“Oh, sorry. I didn’t know.” He said and she blushed. No girl could resist Luke’s charm. I went under the bunny’s arm and stood by Luke.
“I’ll see you later.” I said with a smile. He leaned down and kissed me deeply. Then he started down the staircase. The bunny moved her arm and I went back inside. She shut the door and walked over to the group of dancing girls.
“Ladies! Our newbie is here!” She said loudly and one of them stopped the sound coming out of the boom box. They all smiled at me as I stared at their tattoos and I smiled back.
“Hi, I’m Elazia. But you can call me Liz.” I said with a smile. Then the bunny put her arm in mine and led me down the hall. The group of girls watched us leave. The bunny led me around the corner of the hall and went further down it. There were a lot of wooden doors down every hall we passed and the one we followed. She stopped in front of a wooden door that looked the same as the rest and knocked. A girl that was taller than me opened the door and smiled. She had straight brown hair and light blue eyes with the same tattoo as everyone else. She was wearing the school skirt and a gray tank top.
“Hey.” She said.
“Hi.” I said with a smile.
“This is your roommate.” The bunny said.
“I’m Elazia, but you can call me Liz.” I said with another smile.
“I’m Mimi. It’s nice to finally meet you.” She said. “Thanks for showing her the way, Allie.” She said to the bunny.
“No prob!” She said as she let go of my arm and then skipped down the hall. Mimi widened the door and I walked in. There were two twins bed on opposite sides of the room and 2 desks. One of the beds had a fuzzy, purple bedspread on it and the desk was covered in crap. On the other side of the room were my two boxes. I went over to them and sat on the bed.
“You should get set up ASAP. Tonight, is the assembly to introduce you and the other new student. Tomorrow will be your first day of school, so other than now you really won’t have time.” She suggested.
“Okay, thanks for the tip.” I said with a smile and she returned it.
“I’m going to work on my homework while you get settled.” She said and I nodded. Then she sat at her cluttered desk and I opened my large box. I took out my sheets and bedspread. I forced them onto the bed and then got my millions of pillows out of the box. “Damn! How many pillows do you have?!” Mimi asked as I turned to see her sitting backwards on her desk chair and looking at all the pillows I was getting out.
“I think about 20.” I said with a smile.
“Why do you have so many?” She asked.
“Each of them was made by one of my family members on my father’s side of the family.” I explained.
“Why did they make you pillows?” She asked.
“It’s a tradition in my family. The head heir to the family is given something from every family member. My younger cousin made up the pillow idea.” I said.
“You must have a weird family.” She said with a smirk as I put more pillows on the bed. I started to think how weird I felt by sharing a room with a human keeper and wondered if she knew I was a vampire. I stopped and looked at her. “So do you know what I really am?” I asked.
“You mean you being one of us? That’s kind of obvious.” She said as she pointed at my tattoo.
“No, I mean what I REALLY am.” I said.
“What do you mean?” She asked as I noticed she was wearing a cross necklace.
“Ah hell! They let me room with you even though you don’t know!” I yelled. “Crap! Crap! Crap!” I said under my breath as I started re-packing my stuff.
“What are you doing?!” She asked as she watched me re-pack.
“I can’t room with you.” I said.
“Why in heavens not?” She asked.
“Because you are religious!” I yelled.
“Why do you care about religion? I don’t hate people who are a different religion.” She said as I left the room. She followed me down the halls, down the staircase, and to the office. I threw the door open with force and the secretary jumped.
“Oh! Miss Night! You scared me!” She said as she put her hand over her heart. I stomped over to her desk and threw my hands down on it. And as Mimi went over to me the door slammed open again and Luke came in with a nice looking guy following him.
“Mr. Blood!” She yelled as she jumped slightly in her chair again.
“Is this some kind of joke?!” I yelled. “Are you trying to scare your own students?!”
“They don’t even know what we are, but you had the nerve to room us with mortals?! Are you crazy?!” Luke added as a tall man ran over to the scared Secretary.
“What is going on in here?!” He yelled.
“Principal Saster!” The Secretary exclaimed.
“You!” I yelled as I ran over to him. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?!”
“Excuse me?!” He yelled as I put my hands on my hips.
“You roomed Luke and I with mortals! What the hell were you thinking?!”
“I am clearly missing your point Miss Night.” He said.
“You room a vampire with a human! Are you crazy?! They don’t even know what we are and yet you roomed us!” I yelled as I pointed to Mimi and Luke’s roommate who were frightened by my loud voice.
“Vampire?! That’s impossible! These two can’t be keepers and vampires!” The Secretary yelled as she jumped out of her chair.
“It may be impossible, but these two have surpassed the line of the impossible. Both Miss Night and Mr. Blood are indeed vampires who are going to turn into keepers.” The Principal said and I saw our roommates and the Secretary’s eyes widen.
“Omigod!” Mimi yelled and I saw her slowly back up from me.
“You don’t need to worry. Liz and I are bag vampires.” Luke said as he looked at Mimi. “That means we get blood from the blood bank, not from the source.”
“That is why I didn’t see any problem with you rooming with these two.” The principal said.
“But they have the right to know!” I yelled.
“You’re right, I should’ve told them, but I…” He had trouble finding the words.
“You had trouble facing the fact that you had to tell them they were going to room with a freak, right?” I asked as I held back tears. “You couldn’t fathom telling them the horrible news that was our existence!” My fangs grew as tears ran down my face. “Why the hell are you even letting me in this school?! I’m a freak! The world’s first vampiric keeper ever to live! Why did you invite me here?! You could’ve just let me die! Then I wouldn’t be such a burden on your race!”
“Miss Night…” The principal said as he realized I was crying. Luke quickly came to me and put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see his fangs were grown and his eyes were again endless, gray holes.
“She’s right. Why the hell did you bring us here if you knew we would be feared? Do you human Keepers think it’s funny to play with our emotions like this?!” Luke yelled in his deep, scary voice.
“Mr. Blood. We are not playing with your emotions, we are just trying to figure this problem out.” Mr. Saster said.
“Well I’m going to make this problem disappear,” I said as I pointed to myself. “I’m out of here.” I said as I slipped out of Luke’s grip and ran out the doors of the office and out of the building. I reached the parking lot and saw a car parking in the lot of the school near Luke’s car. I kept running, but then I stopped when I saw who was coming out of the car. He was the only man that could ever possibly come between Luke and I. He was my guardian.
“Elazia!” He yelled as he quickly walked over to me. He was the only man in the world I thought was hotter than Luke. He had been almost killed saving me more than a year ago and I hadn’t seen him since I saw him being taken away by ambulance. I felt my tears of pain turn to tears of joy.
“Vladimir!” I whispered as he reached me. His long blond hair that reached his shoulders covered part of his face, so I kindly brushed it out of the way so that I could see his beautiful green eyes. He smiled kindly. “Are you okay?” I asked.
“Yea. I’m better than ever.” He said.
“I was so scared I was never going to see you again.” I said as more tears ran down my cheeks. He brushed them away.
“I’ve missed you.” He said as he put his hand on my cheek.
“I’ve missed you too.” I said as more tears came. He put his arms around me and held me tightly. I put my arms against his chest and rested my head on it. I finally stopped crying and looked up at him. He kissed me deeply and passionately. I let him even though I knew it was wrong. He pulled me closer to him and kissed me more. I pushed him away and he stumbled back. He looked at me with concern.
“We can’t do this anymore, Vlad.” I said as I looked at the ground. “I want to, but we can’t.”
“Why not?” He asked as he walked back to me.
“I thought you weren’t ever going to come back to me, Vlad. I almost let you die! I don’t deserve you.” I said as I started to cry again.
“I don’t deserve the love of a princess, but that hasn’t stopped me before.”
“You don’t get it Vlad, I gave up on you and…” I pulled up my hand so that he could see my ring. “And Luke proposed to me.”
“What?!” He yelled in shock.
“The King decided I was the best choice for Luke and now I’m going to be queen.” I said as I kept my focus on the ground.
“But I love you, Elazia. I can’t move on.” He said as he put his hand over mine and held it. “I won’t move on.”
“Vlad, this is forbidden. We can’t be together and you know that.” I said as I looked at him.
“I don’t care if it’s forbidden! I love you, Elazia and I’m not going to give you up to the prince!” He yelled.
“Vlad…” I started to say.
“Don’t you love me?” He asked.
“I do, and that is why I must stop this relationship. I don’t want you to get hurt.”
“Elazia, it will hurt more to stay away from you than dieing.”
“I wish we could be together, but it’s impossible. I’m sorry.” I said and then I ran away from him.
“Elazia!” He yelled as he ran after me. I ran to the doors of the school and they opened. Luke walked out and saw me crying. I stopped and turned to see Vlad stop also. He stared at Luke but Luke stared at me. As the door shut Luke walked over to me and tried to hold my hand, but I quickly pulled my hand to my chest and he looked confused.
“Liz?” Luke asked and then he saw me looking at Vlad. He looked over to Vlad and frowned. “What is your old guardian doing here?” I didn’t speak.
“I’m here to get back Elazia.” Vlad said as I saw his fangs grow and so did Luke’s.
“Why? You can’t be with her anymore. It is forbidden.” Luke said with a smirk.
“I don’t care! I’m here to get Elazia and I’m not leaving without her!”
“You can’t take her. She is mine now.” Luke said with an evil smile and I felt my love for Luke drop.
“Yours?! She isn’t an object! You can’t own her!” Vlad yelled.
“I’m not saying I own her, I’m saying she is my fiancée and now you can’t ever have her.” Luke said as he forcefully grabbed my hand from my chest and held it. I tried to pull away, but he refused to let go.
“Luke! Let go!” I yelled as I pulled more.
“Not until you make him leave.” Luke said.
I looked from Luke to Vlad and started to cry again. “Go, Vlad.” I said and he looked sad.
“But, Elazia…” Vlad started to say.
“That’s an order. Go.” Luke said rudely.
“I’m not yours to order!” Vlad yelled with a snarl and I stopped crying.
“I’ll call you later, okay? I will explain this, but I can’t now. So please go.” I said with a faint smile.
“Promise?” Vlad asked.
“I promise.” I said and then he walked away. Luke didn’t let go of my hand as he pulled me inside. Mimi and Luke’s roommate were standing in the hall waiting for us. Mimi smiled at me warmly, like I wasn’t a vampire.
“Liz, it’s okay if you’re a vampire. You’re still like us and I’m not scared of you.”
“You aren’t?” I asked.
“Nope. We’re the same. We are both shunned by society even if we aren’t exactly the same.” Mimi explained.
I nodded and smiled.
“Come on, let’s go back to our room and get your stuff set up.” She said and I finally pulled away from Luke. He watched as we turned the corner and then went up the staircase. Once we were at the top I couldn’t see Luke and we went to our room. I put my sheets and comforter back on my bed as Mimi watched me. Then I put all of my pillows on my bed and smiled.
“Are you sure this is okay?” I asked.
“Yea.” She said. “You’re a bag vampire so it’s cool.”
“I don’t like the idea of killing people.” I said.
“Are most vampires bag vampires?” She asked.
“No. I am one of the few.” I said.
She looked a little whiter when I said that and then we stopped talking. I started hanging my cloths in the shared closet that we had.
“So who was he?” She asked as I cleared out the whole large box.
“What?” I asked.
“The guy that Luke was yelling at. I saw the three of you from the window in the office. But no one else noticed.”
“He’s my guardian.” I replied.
“Guardian?” Mimi asked.
“Yes, princes and princesses of the vampires and noble children have a guardian of their own. A guardian is a vampire in the lower classes that goes through schooling that trains them to protect their assigned person.” I said.
“So you’re a…”
“Princess.”
“How do they choose who gets what guardian?” She asked.
“Usually the parents of the child choose.” I answered.
“So that guy is your guardian?” She asked.
“He was.”
“Was?”
“Last year he was protecting me and almost was killed. He was sent to the hospital and was supposed to never be able to fully recover. My parents were supposed to keep him as my guardian, but then they found out my big secret.”
“Secret?! Oooooo! Do tell!”
“Everyone found out about the relationship I was in with my guardian.”
“So? What’s so bad about that? He’s a vampire and so are you.”
“But vampire princesses must marry a prince or a noble. Also, it is forbidden for guardians to have a relationship with their assigned person.”
“So you broke the rules and now you can’t see him?”
“Yep and now I’m engaged to Price Lukas.” I said.
“You mean that guy who joined school with you?!”
“Yea and he hates my guardian.”
“I can see why. Your guardian is H-O-T, hot! He probably knows you will easily go with your guardian, so he hates him.”
“I know and Vlad hates him too.”
“Vlad?”
“That’s my guardian’s name.”
“Oh. Well why was he here earlier?”
“He came to get me so we could run away and stay together.”
“Awwww! Like Romeo and Juliet!”
“I guess.” I said with a sigh. “And if we do leave the ending in the play will end the same as my life.”
“You’ll kill yourself?”
“I’ll be killed.”
“Harsh! They’ll kill you just for marrying your guardian?!”
“Yep.”
“That sucks.”
“I know and now I have to call Vlad and explain what is happening.”
“That’s gonna REALLY suck.”
I nodded and sat on my bed. Then a high-pitched beeping noise came from Mimi’s alarm. She quickly turned it off. “Time for the assembly.” She said as she went over to the door.
“Do you think I should change?” I asked. “I don’t think bootie shorts and a tank that shows my cleavage will go well with the teachers.”
“That’s true.” She said as she walked over to our closet I followed her as she started looking through my cloths. Then she pulled out one of my skimpy dresses. It was black with silver sparkles all over it. It was skin-tight until it got to my hips, and then it was loose and wavy. “This is cute and not against the rules…entirely.” She said as she handed me my dress. I quickly changed into it and put on my black sandals. My locket showed because the dress was a v-neck and showed off my boobs. My hoop earrings looked good too. “Very nice!”
“Thanks.” I said with a smile. Then Mimi took my hand and went out the door. She led me down the halls, down the staircase, and stopped at two large, black doors. She opened them and immediately the air was filled with hundreds of voices. I looked inside to see bleachers that were as tall as a two-story house on both sides of the large room. The bleachers were filled with thousands of kids that were talking. In the middle of the room were some chairs and microphone stands. The speakers that were on the ceiling of the room were playing Leavin’ by Jessie McCartney. Mimi led me to the edge of the last bleacher and we sat.
“Damn! Everyone showed up!” She yelled over the other voices.
“What do you mean?” I yelled back.
“Usually not very many people show up to the assemblies, not even for other students. But EVERYONE is here! That’s so cool!” She yelled.
“Great.” I said with a sigh and then a blow-horn was triggered. Everyone in the room stopped talking and the room fell silent. The principal was in the middle of the room and was holding the horn. The other seats in the middle of the room had what I presumed to be the teachers of the school in them.
“Good evening students!” The Principal said into a microphone. “I’m so glad that you are all here. Now, I’d like to call our two new students to come stand by me. Miss Night and Mr. Blood, please come forward.” He said. Mimi smiled at me as I stood. I looked to the other side of the bleachers and saw Luke walking up to the principal too. We both went up to him as many people whispered. We stood by him and he smiled.
“Hey.” Luke whispered to me as he stood next to me. I didn’t answer, so he tried to hold my hand but I put my hands together in front of me.
“Both of these student’s are different than most, they are actually the first of their kind.” The principal said. “They are the first vampiric keepers.” Almost everyone in the room gasped. “But, do not worry. Both of these students are bag vampires, so they won’t hurt you.”
“Monster!” A group of guys yelled as they stood in bleachers. There were about 10 of them and they looked like football jocks.
“Freak!” Another in the group yelled.
“Devil’s creation!” Another yelled at the same time as the other.
It felt like the war a few years ago was back. But, sadly, this time I didn’t have thousands of people on my side of this war. I only had one other, who I hated right now. I knew I had to take this into my own hands and show this school that it is a BAD idea to mess with me.
I started laughing and couldn’t stop. Everyone in the room stared at me with questions on their faces. I finally stopped and smiled at the group of boys who had made me so mad.
“Liz?” Luke asked.
“You got a problem, boys?” I asked and it echoed in the silent room.
“Yea! You!” One of the guys yelled as he and his group came down the stairs of the bleachers. They stopped a few feet from me and I smiled.
“Too scared to get close to me?” I laughed.
“No! Shut up, freak!” The same guy yelled.
“Why don’t you make me?!” I yelled.
“A small freak like you can’t take me!” He yelled.
“Miss Night.” The principal warned.
“Stay out of my way.” I said as I stepped in front of him. “I bet I could.”
Then the guy ran towards me and I jumped to the side. He tried to stop, but fell flat on his face. I laughed again as he stood up. He ran to me, but this time I didn’t move. He tried to punch me, but I caught his fist in my hand. I squeezed his hand and he tried not to show that he was in pain.
“Give up yet?” I asked.
“Never!” He yelled.
“Your funeral.” I retorted as I put my other hand on his forearm. Then I pulled him up and over my head. He hit the ground so hard that the sound echoed in the room. He screamed out in pain finally and I let go of him. I leaned over his face and smiled. “Don’t ever mess with me, or you will never be able to walk again.” I stood up straight and started towards the door.
“Miss Night!” The Principal yelled.
“Sir, I can see this isn’t going to work. I’m going to go through another fight with others’ again.” I said and then Mimi ran over to me. She grabbed my arm before I opened the door.
“Liz! Not all of us are like those guys! We can accept you!” She said loud enough for everyone to hear.
I turned to her and smiled. “Then why are they so frightened of me?” I asked as I looked over at the staring group.
“Liz…” She started to say.
“It’s okay, Mimi. If they don’t accept me, then I don’t want to be a burden.” I said as I moved my arm and her hand dropped away from me. I felt a tear run down my cheek and I quickly opened the door. I ran out of the school and went to the back where the bench was. I lay across the top of it and started to cry. Finally I stopped and looked up at the starry sky.
“Does everyone have to hate me?” I asked no one in particular. “Humans, keeper, and other vampires hate me. Is there anyone else for me to scare?”
Something moved in the bush near me and I didn’t even bother to look over at it.
“Elazia?” I heard someone say. I sat up and was looking directly at Vladimir.
“Vlad?” I asked.
He walked up to me and stood right in front of me.
“What’s wrong? I felt your sadness and came over here as fast as I could.”
“They all hate me. The vampires, the human, and the keepers.” I whispered.
“Not all vampires hate you.” He said.
“Oh yea?” I asked.
“I don’t.” He said with a smile.
I smiled back. “I know and I am happy for that.”
“So why are you here with the keepers?” He asked.
“I got a letter from them and I am now the first vampiric keeper ever to live.”
“That’s cool.”
“Really? Everyone else hates it.”
“I think anything you do is cool.”
I stood and hugged him. He hugged me back tightly.
“I’ve missed you so much!” I said through my tears.
“I have too.”
“I love you, Vlad and I always will.”
“I love you now and forever.”
“I want to leave with you.”
“Then let’s go.” He said as he took my hand in his and started to walk away from school. I stopped quickly.
“But I can’t! I want to, but I can’t.” I said as he stopped.
“Why not?”
“I’m engaged to Prince Lukas.”
“So? If we hide he will never find us.”
“But what about my parents?! They will be tortured! I would rather be unhappy than hurt them.”
“S***. There’s no way to get out of the rules.”
“I’m sorry.” I said as I hugged him again.
“I have an idea.” He said.
“Yea?” I asked.
“When is the next ball?” He asked.
“Tomorrow night. Why?” I asked.
“I have to go. I’ll meet you there and tell you my plan.”
“Okay.” I said and he kissed me. Then he ran off and I sat back on the bench. I went back to the school and Mimi was sitting on the steps waiting for me. She got up and smiled. “Everyone feels bad about hating you.” She said.
“They should.” I said with a smirk. She laughed at that and I smiled even more. I felt on top of the world. Vladimir has a plan and I trust that it will work. Love has an odd way of helping you trust people.
We went inside the doors of the school to see the boys from before standing there in an angry fashion. Slouched, arms crossed over chests, frowns, and anger driven eyes. The main one from earlier smiled evilly, but then his smile turned into compassion. His arms came off his chest and one went through his hair as he slightly blushed.
“Sorry about earlier.” He said quietly. The rest of the group looked at their feet as the main guy looked away. I walked over to him and he looked at me with a red face. I put my hand on his arm that was limp on his side. I lifted it up and looked at it.
“How bad does it hurt?” I asked him kindly. My heart filled with joy made me forget about how rude these guys had been.
“Not too bad. Just a sprain.” He said quietly as he blushed more. I smiled as I lifted his arm closer to me. He looked confused as I closed my eyes. I held his arm in both of my hands as I cleared my mind. I whispered the Latin words my mother had taught me a long time ago to heal people. When I opened my eyes I saw a lot of people staring with open mouths as they saw the guys’ glowing arm.
“Let thee be healed.” I whispered and the spell was done. The glowing stopped and I let go of the guys’ arm. He moved it around and seemed shocked. “Everything we vampires do isn’t bad.” I said happily and the guy smiled.
“Thanks.” He said kindly and then I went back to Mimi. She looked like a child at Christmas: eyes glistening with joy and belief.
“We should go.” I said and she nodded. We started side by side towards the stairs to get to the girls dorm. We got the stairs to see Luke on the last step looking up at us. He stood and went straight to me. His hand lay on my cheek and he smiled.
“Good job on the spell.” He said and I moved away from his hand. I nodded and then started walking past him, towards the stairs, when he put his arm up in front of me. I looked at him with confusion to see his anger. “Get over him, Liz.” He said with a frown and I pushed his arm away from me. I took a step back from him.
“I’ve already lost a lot of the love I had for you this afternoon, don’t make it disappear.” I said firmly and he walked so close to me I tensed. He grabbed both of my arms and used them to pull me closer to him. I tried to pull away, but he wouldn’t let go of me or loosen his grip at the very least. “Let go.” I hissed. His eyes turned a dark, bloody red as his grip tightened.
“You’re mine, Elazia. Don’t forget that.” He hissed evilly. I quickly pulled my arm out of his hand and before I knew it my hand had slapped his face. I pulled my other arm from his grip while he was in shock and took another step back.
“I belong to no one! And my heart surely does not belong to you!” I yelled.
He laughed rudely. “Oh? But a measly guardian does?”
“You are not worth my time, your highness. Only Lucas is. But don’t get me wrong, I do respect and honor you, just not at this moment. Now if you would be so kind as to let us take our leave, it would be appreciated.” I said rudely.
He frowned. “Meet me in my room at 1. We need to talk, or we can do it here with your friend watching if you prefer.”
“Fine,” I retorted and then turned to Mimi. “Let’s go.” I said and she followed me up the winding staircase. When we reached the top we went through the halls and got to our room. Mimi sat on her bed as I went to our closet. I took out a black tank top and a pair of pink pajama pants. I switched my dress with the new clothes and then sat down on my bed. Mimi watched me once again. “What is it?” I finally asked.
“Are you going to meet him tonight?” She asked.
I nodded. “I must follow orders from his royal highness. As a vampire of rank I cannot deny his wishes.”
“Is that why Vlad can deceive him?” She asked.
I smiled. “He is free spirited. Even if he was of high rank he could never be controlled by anyone.”
She smirked. “But he seems to be controlled by you.”
“He chose to let me influence his actions. I could never make him do that.”
“Do you think you really love him?” She asked with a lovesick look.
“I know I do.” I said and she smiled. “But we should sleep. School is tomorrow.” I said and she nodded. I stood, pulled back my covers on my bed, slid in between them, and closed my eyes. The slow and quiet moving of the fan in the room made a soothing noise that made me finally fall asleep.

I was awoken in the middle of my sleep by a frightening chill that slid down my back and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand at end. I quietly sat up to see the clock go from 1:00 a.m. to 1:01a.m. I knew the sense I had gotten was from Lucas, telling me to get up and meet him. I quietly stood and slid on a pair of pink slippers. I closed my eyes and whispered another group of Latin words I had learned such a long time ago. Then I thought of Lucas even though I did not wish to. “Bring me to him. By the darkness and stillness of the night bring me forth to my prince without making a sound to rustle the sleeping mortals of which I am surrounded by.” I whispered to the stillroom and a gust of warm air flew around me that I was confident only I could feel. When I opened my eyes I was in front of a dark wooden door. I quietly knocked on it as gently as I could, but still making a small noise. Lucas opened the door and quickly but quietly pulled me in. He re-shuts the door and stared at me in the pitch-black room. I could not see him, but I could feel his eyes watching me. The grip he had on my wrist tightened.
“Liz.” He whispered in an almost evil way.
“Is it the royal highness or Lucas that I speak to?” I asked the dead room.
“We are the same.” He said and I frowned.
“No, I respect the Royal Highness and would do anything on his behalf. But I almost love Lucas.” I said and Lucas grabbed my other wrist. Before I knew it I was against something soft. I was now near a small window in the room so I could see I was on a mattress and Lucas was above me. He leaned on me and the back of my head touched the mattress. I finally saw his face. It was smeared with blood and his eyes were red like before. I gasped and tried to push him off of me. “Monster.” I hissed.
“I’m a vampire, Liz.” He replied in an annoying tone.
“Who’s blood is that?! Who did you kill?!” I whispered in a growl.
He slightly chuckled. “Your ex-boyfriend was not to my taste but he helped me get rid of my urge to shred one of the keepers necks open.”
I felt tears trying to pour from my eyes. I may have hated the guy, but he didn’t deserve to die by such a death. “Why?” I cried quietly. “Why would you kill him?!”
I saw his eyes grow redder. “He harmed my wife. I had to do something.” He said deeply and then I felt his frozen hand on the side of my neck. “But it wasn’t enough. My urge to drink from you is still strong. I can’t over power it.” He said and I saw him lean quickly closer to me. “You are mine.” He hissed. “Your neck is mine.” And that’s when the pain hit me. Two fangs pierced my neck and a moan came from Lucas. I felt a sharp feeling below my ribs and realized I had stopped breathing. I quickly took a breath, which felt like knifes going down my throat. I could feel my heart beat speed up and my breath quicken. I was going into shock. Tears poured down my face and I could not stop them. My body shook uncontrollably and I felt death clouding around me. Lucas is killing me! He’s killing me! I thought and tears still flowed. “Vladimir.” I cried quietly as images of him flowed through my mind. I could not bear to think of leaving him alone. He was the man I truly loved and the only man I had ever let drink my blood. Lucas squeezed my shoulder he was holding and I cried out quietly in pain. “Vladimir!” I cried a little louder and Lucas squeezed my shoulder so hard that something cracked. I cried out again quietly. “Vladimir, save me.” I whispered and Lucas’s fangs came out of my neck. My head fell limply to the side but was quickly pulled back to where it had been by a cold hand on my chin. I saw Lucas’s face once again. There were still the same eyes and the same dried blood on it, but now fresh blood was dripping from him mouth. My fresh blood. Seeing it made the tears come faster down my face.
“Give yourself to me.” He hissed to me.
“No!” I gasped as his hand squeezing my shoulder moved. I looked at it to see his fingers quickly pierce my arm and I gasped again. Everything started going blurry as I saw Lucas lean closer to me.
“You are mine.” He hissed evilly and then all went black.

I opened my eyes to see the room was brighter. Sunlight filled the room from the window. I closed my eyes from the blinding light and felt something warm around me. I reopened my eyes and let them get adjusted to the light. Then I looked at my body. I was lying on the mattress from earlier on my back. There was a white, furry blanket on top of me. I lifted it up to see I was bare. I looked below the bed to see my clothes scattered on the floor. I slid out of the blanket and tried to stand, but quickly fell. I used the mattress to help me get up and finally stood. I went over to the full-length mirror next to the edge of the bed to look at myself. My blonde hair was all over the place and my eyes were blotchy from crying. Bandages covered my shoulder and neck, but both had bloodstains almost all the way through them. My body was covered in red marks and scrapes. I realized what Lucas had done to me while I was passed out and tears refilled my eyes. Lucas raped me. The thoughts hit me hard and sent my tears down my face. I quickly wiped the tears away and stopped crying. I tried to move my bandaged shoulder but it hurt too much. The only good thing was my shoulder was not fully broken, but it was definitely injured. I started to walk towards the bathroom when I felt something pull on my right ankle. I looked down at it to see there was a shackle around it that was hooked to the leg of the bed. I’m a prisoner. I thought and felt weaker. I sat back down on the bed and lay down. I pulled the blanket around my cold body and cried more. Why did Vladimir not come for me? How did he not hear my plead for saving? I asked myself and then realized the answer. Lucas is blocking my telepathic bond with Vladimir. He doesn’t want Vladimir to find me or save me.
I heard someone running down the hall outside the door to Lucas’s room and then heard the person stop. I heard another person following. “Where is she?!” A girl yelled to the other person and I heard it slightly echo down the hall. The two of them were alone. “Where is Liz?!” The same girl yelled and I realized who it was. It was Mimi.
“She isn’t here, Mimi. I haven’t seen her.” A guy said and I realized it was Lucas.
“But she came to your room last night and never came back! What the hell did you do with her?!” Mimi yelled and my eyes filled with tears of hope. Mimi had figured it out. She was here to help me.
“She never showed up last night. I don’t know where she is.” Lucas replied.
“Bullshit! She told me that she could not deny your wish because you are the vampire prince! She would’ve stopped at nothing to get to you!” She yelled. “I know she is in your room! Let me in there!”
“She isn’t in there.”
“I swear if you don’t let me in there I will go find Vlad! I know all about him and how you hate him! I know everything that is going on so stop denying it! Now let me in!” Mimi yelled and I heard her move closer to the door, but then I heard Lucas get in her way. “Move Lucas!” She yelled.
“No.”
“Liz! Can you hear me?! Answer me!” Mimi yelled to the door and I quickly sat up. I moved as close to the door as I could.
“Mimi!” I yelled as more tears fell. I heard Lucas cuss and Mimi move around him. The locked door jingled and I could hear Mimi kicking the door. I quickly pulled the blanket around my nude body.
“S***! Unlock the door, Lucas!” She hollered and Lucas laughed.
“Like I would follow your demands.” He laughed and I became angry. I quickly put my arms towards the door even though it pained my shoulder. I whispered the Latin words and felt energy flow through me.
“Let the mortal open the door. Break any seal on the door that defy my wish!” I called and a loud noise came from the door. The barrier Lucas put up was destroyed. “Keep this mortal under my protection and safe from the wrath of others!” I added because I knew Lucas would try to kill her before she could get to me. The door’s knob turned and Mimi opened the door. I had used too much of my magic while being hurt and it took a physical effect on me. My knees gave out on me and I sat on the floor. Mimi and Lucas watched me hit the ground. I quickly grabbed my shoulder with my opposite hand and squeezed while trying to not cry from the pain as I sat on the floor. The blanket covered me from being seen and I was glad. Mimi ran to me and sat down in front of me. When I saw her face I couldn’t hold back my tears anymore. They flowed down my face.
“Mimi.” I whispered and she saw my tears.
“Liz.” She whispered back and I saw her almost cry. “What did he do to you?”
“It’s not of your concern, Mimi.” I said as I squeezed my shoulder more.
“But you don’t love him and had sex with you?! Why?! What about Vlad! Don’t you love him?!” She yelled in Vladimir’s defense.
“I couldn’t do anything, Mimi. I tried, but couldn’t.” I whispered.
“Why didn’t you call for Vlad?!”
“I did. I really did. But the barrier I just broke at the door was around the whole room earlier. Lucas blocked all of my telepathic powers with Vladimir.” I said and then looked at Lucas. He had his eyes closed and was pointing his hands at Mimi. I slightly smiled. “You can try to kill Mimi all you want, Lucas. But I am protecting her. She cannot be harmed by anyone.” I said and he opened his eyes. But then he disappeared! He vanished and I didn’t see him, and then Mimi fell over with a gasp. I saw him again as his eyes turned red once more. He was in front of me and before I could defend myself his fangs were in my neck. Lucas leaned on me so far that I fell backwards and he followed. I screamed at the pain. “Vladimir!” I screeched and a figure flashed before my eyes. I saw it at the door but it moved again before I could see who it was. Lucas was hit and he slid across the floor until he hit the wall. He stood and hissed as the figure moved towards him. The figure finally stopped moving and held Lucas by his neck off the ground. Lucas made odd chocking noises as I finally saw the figure. It was Vladimir! I sat up quickly as Vladimir hissed.
“Bastard!” He yelled to Lucas. “What did you do to Elazia?!”
Lucas chocked out a laugh. “I raped her and took her blood.” He said bluntly and then smiled. “You can kill me if you want. I don’t care. She is mine now and that’s all I need to know. I got her before you could.”
I started crying again. “Put him down, Vladimir. If you kill him the council will kill you.” I whispered.
“He deserves to die!”
“Please Vladimir, put him down.” I pleaded and Vladimir let go of Lucas. Lucas hit the ground and started chocking. He quickly looked up at me and smiled.
“Good girl, Liz.” He said and a spark of anger filled my body. I smiled too.
“I told you Lucas, I was going to give you one more chance and you blew it. Also you didn’t win.” I said and his eyes widened.
“What?!” He hollered.
“You were not the first person to take my blood and you did not steal my virginity like you had hoped.” I explained.
“What?!” Lucas yelled again.
“Before Vladimir almost died I had let him have my virginity and my blood.” I explained. “I love Vladimir.”
Lucas was shocked and looked like he was going to kill me. But Vladimir stepped in. Vlad picked up Lucas and chanted his Latin words. “Send this demon as far away from my love as possible. Send him to hell if you must.” Vlad said and Lucas disappeared. Vladimir quickly came to me and sat in front of me. He brushed the hair that had fallen in my face behind my ear and then he smiled. “I just got all 4 of your pleads. I’m sorry I didn’t get them sooner.” He said sorrowfully and I put my hand on his cheek.
“You came for me. That’s all I need to know.” I said and then looked at the bed I was shackled to. I pointed my hands at the shackle attached to the bed and closed my eyes. I said my Latin words and then opened my eyes. “Let me be free from the curse that is myself. Free me from my shackles that physically hold me and those that mentally do. Let my mind be free from the sorrow that is the death of Dylan. Let my mind forget last night and the death it holds. Bring back the Lucas I so dearly loved and send this monster he has become back to the depths of which it came. Let the mortal next to me heal from what she has witnessed and keep her safe under my watch. Do not let anyone touch her that means her harm. Even if that includes myself. Let her be free of the devil she saw earlier today. Let my love for Vladimir blind me from the task I so dearly want to finish. Do not let me kill the Lucas that stood before me today, let me free him from the death that surrounds him. I am his wife and it is my duty to save him from the anger that has broken his heart. I finally understand why I must marry Lucas. I am the only thing that keeps him sane. He needs me as much as I so dearly need my best friend back. Help me keep myself happy with the man I do not love, but care for. Do not let my foolish heart keep me from my duties.” I said and then put my hand over my shoulder. “If there is anyway I can love Vladimir, please! Let me find it! I love him so much! I don’t want to forget him! I truly don’t! I want to be with him! Please!” I said and then started crying again. I put my hands over my eyes. “Let Lucas be healed.” The ending of the spell hit me and I felt a shock go through my spine. The physical effect I had put on myself was horrendous. I took my hands off my eyes and quickly stood. My shackle was finally gone. I wiped my tears away and quickly made sure the blanket was still around me. I went and grabbed all of my clothes off of the ground. Then I turned to Mimi. “We cannot stay in this room. The principal is heading this way because of the commotion. We have to go back to our room or there will be horrible consequences.” I said and she nodded. “Both of you stand and take my hand.” I said and they did so. “Let us go back to our room and keep our mysteries at bay from being found out.” I whispered and the three of us felt warm wind around us. When I opened my eyes we were back in our room. I let go of their hands and quickly went to the bathroom, but stopped at the door. “Mimi are you going back to class?” I asked.
She shook her head. “I’m supposed to be sick and staying in my room.” She said.
“Alright.”
“I said you were sick also, so we have all day.” She said and I smiled.
“Thank you, Mimi.” I said and then went into the bathroom. I let go of the blanket and got on my clothes. Then I fixed my makeup and brushed my teeth and hair. I looked a little better, but not much. My face didn’t look the same to me. I looked like someone else I did not know. I ignored that and left the bathroom. I brought the blanket with me and set it on the end of my bed. My whole body wanted to shake and I could not hold it back anymore. Both Vladimir and Mimi were looking at me as my whole body shook fiercely and then it stopped. Vladimir was sitting on my bed and Mimi was on hers. I sat down next to Vladimir and was quiet. His hand went around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I looked up at him to see my sorrow reflected in his face.
“Will you be okay?” He asked me.
“Yea.” I whispered and then looked at Mimi. “How can I repay you, Mimi? You saved me.” I asked and Vladimir’s grip tightened on me.
“You don’t need to repay me, Liz. We’re friends and friends help each other.” She said and I felt a little better. “But what happened last night?”
“Um…” I said quietly and she looked concerned. “Luke called for me to come to him and I did. When I got there he seemed really mad. Madder than he had when we saw him earlier. He forced me against his bed and I saw his face. It was…” I started to say but my voice cracked and I quickly looked away from her concerned face. I looked at our carpet and remembered Luke’s face. “His eyes were red and his face was covered with blood. Vampire blood.” I said and then looked at Mimi again.
“But he’s a bag vampire! I thought he didn’t kill people for blood?!” She yelled.
“He was a bag vampire, until last night. Now he is a true killer like the rest of them.” I said and kept tears from coming down my face. “I asked him who he killed and he told me he had killed my ex-boyfriend. He said that my ex-boyfriend had harmed his wife and so he had to do something about it. He also said that if he hadn’t done it he would’ve killed one of the keepers at the school.” I said and Mimi gasped. “He said that his urge to drink my blood had made him do it and that his urge was still too strong. Then he forcibly took my blood and almost killed me. I called for Vladimir and that made him angry. He pierced my shoulder out of anger and I passed out from the pain.” I said and the room was silent. I kept seeing images of Luke’s face on the carpet and it scared me.
“How badly did he hurt your shoulder?” Vlad asked me.
I looked at him. “I don’t know. He didn’t break anything, but something did crack. I haven’t seen it, so I don’t know how bad it is.” I said.
“Did he at least use protection?” Mimi asked me and I looked at her.
“Probably.” I said quietly and she frowned.
“That doesn’t sound very convincing.” She grumbled.
“I really don’t know what happened last night. I’m sorry.” I said quietly and she looked sad. “He will be coming back tonight, for our ceremony.”
“But you can’t go! He might rape you again!” She protested. I looked up at her and then back at my feet. “Are you scared of him?” She asked.
“No.”
“But he raped you!” She hollered and I looked back at her with anger.
“Do you think I really don’t know that?!” I snapped and then calmed down. “Sorry. I didn’t mean that.” I replied quietly. “I’m just confused and don’t know what to do. I miss the Luke I used to know and I don’t know how to get him back. I’m scared I can’t get him back.” I admitted and the room went quiet.
“Could you give us some time alone, Mimi?” Vlad asked and Mimi nodded. She left us and Vlad let go of me. He stood in front of me and stared at me. “You going to marry him?” He asked me and I looked away. “But you even said you love me! How can you leave me even though you love me?!” He yelled.
I looked at him and then stood. “I have to, Vlad.”
“Why?”
“I made Luke how he is. It’s my fault that everything ended up this way. I don’t deserve the happiness you give me. I don’t deserve your love. I wish we had never fallen in love because now that we have I will have to shatter my heart and yours to fix everything I have messed up.” I put my hand on his cheek. “I wanted you to come back to me, Vlad. I really did. But now I see how my happiness can destroy others. I want you to forget about me and the love we have for each other. I can’t let myself love anyone and I was a fool to think I could. I’m a curse to anyone who does.” I held back tears. “I’m sorry I brought you into this, Vlad. But I love you so much I couldn’t control myself. I want you so badly.” I said and then took my hand off of him and looked away. “I should have listened to myself when I first saw you. I almost asked for a new guardian but couldn’t bring myself to do it. My love for you hurt you and I will forever hate myself for that. I don’t know how else to fix this Vlad, there’s only one way.” I said and then quickly put my hand on his forehead and started saying my Latin words when Vlad grabbed my hand from his forehead. He forced it away and put his other hand on my back. He pulled me closer to him and kissed me. When our lips parted he spoke.
“I won’t let you erase my memories of you.” He said and my eyes widened. He had figured out what I was going to do. He took a step towards me and I took a step back. We kept on doing that until I fell onto my bed and he followed. He kissed me more and I couldn’t stop myself. When he stopped kissing me and pulled his head slightly away from me I quickly pulled it back and kissed him. His hands went from my face to my back and he pulled me so close to him that there was no space between us. His scent sent my head spinning and I allowed him to take my shirt off. I took off his and started kissing his chest while he hugged me.
“I will fill the spot in your heart Lucas took last night.” He said and I looked at him. “I will heal every part of you he hurt.” He added and I leaned my head to the side.
“Start with here. I want to know you fixed this.” I said and he smiled.
“I love you, my dear Elazia.” He said as he leaned towards my neck. I put my hand on the back of his head and the other on his back.
“I love you too, my darling Vladimir.” I whispered and then the sweet pain I wanted hit me. Vlad’s teeth went into my neck and he moaned. Before I knew anything I had bitten into Vlad’s neck also. We mixed our blood into one, which was the truest way to show how much you loved someone in the vampire world. Also it happened for the second time for us. I did not hate it when I had sex with Vlad like I did when I had it with Lucas. I wanted it. When we were done I laid my head on top of Vladimir’s chest and listened to our heart beats intertwine. We were now one vampire. The most despicable and shunned thing had just happened and I didn’t care. The combining of a royal vampire and a regular vampire was the worst thing to do. I knew we could both be killed if anyone had found out what we had just done. My sheets kept the two of us warm from the fan in the room and my millions of pillows surrounded us.
Vlad slowly stroked my hair in a comforting way. I looked at my newly healed arm. Vlad had healed it. Now that we are one vampire we can heal each other by just biting the wound of the other. Our combined blood could fix anything. Even my undecided heart. I now knew what I was going to do to fix this. I just had to wait for the right person to come along and wait for the right moment.
“I know what I’m going to do now.” I said quietly and Vlad looked uncertain. I looked up at him and smiled. “I have figured out a way for us to be together and for everything to be right once again.”
“But to fix it something must be taken from you, what is going to be now?” He asked and I put my hand on his cheek.
“Don’t worry about it. I am willing to give anything up for you, Vlad.” I said and he smiled. “I love you too much to give you up.” I added and then looked at my clock. It was almost 8’oclock. I quickly sat up and Vlad followed.
“What is it?” He asked.
“The ball. It’s about to start.” I said quietly and his eyes widened. “We have to get ready.” I added and I got out of the bed. I went over to my closet and got on a bra and underwear. Vlad stood and went over to the bag he had brought with him. I heard him getting dressed so I quickened my speed. I grabbed a black dress Lucas had liked on me when we went shopping about two months ago. I unzipped the back of the dress and slid it on. Like the last dress it showed off my good curves and made me look good. It had a collar that went around my neck in a thick black band. It covered my mark, which I slightly liked. Then it had a strip of the material that became wider as it went down my upper chest. Once it reached my breasts it went into a regular dress, but had a teardrop shape cut in the middle of it that showed the crease that was in between my breasts. It was slightly sluttish to have that showing, but I really didn’t care. From that point it was a regular dress that went to my knees. It stopped there and was loose from my hips down. The dress was a dark black and soft material that was covered with sparkles. It shimmered the silver sparkles every time I moved. I turned to Vlad to see he was trying to fix a tie that went with the suit he was wearing. I went over to him and he looked at me. I put my hands to the tie and fixed it. I smiled and so did he.
“Thanks.”
I nodded and then turned. “Please.” I said and he zipped the back of my dress. When he reached the top of the zipper I felt something warm around me. I turned my head to the side to see it was Vlad hugging me from behind.
“What is the plan for us tonight, my love?” He asked and I put my hands on his arms that hugged me.
“You must know that I love you, Vlad. I cannot show it tonight, but anything I do tonight you must follow along with or my plan for our lives ahead will never work.” I said and he nodded.
“I will follow anything you say, love. Your wish is my command.” He said and I smiled. “We should go.” He added as he let go of me and I went to my closet. I grabbed a black pair of high heals and slid them on. Vlad came over to me and put something cold against my neck. I look down to see what it was. A glistening diamond looked back at me as I heard Vlad clasp the necklace.
“What?” I asked and he smiled as he went in front of me. He knelt down on one knee and my heart stopped.
“I cannot give you a ring. That would be too obvious. So as to show my proposal to you I got you that necklace. It is a pure diamond I had picked out for you before I was in that accident. I have wanted to ask this of you since then, so here it goes. Will you marry me when this is all over, Elazia?” He asked and I dropped to my knees I hugged him as I held back tears.
“I thought you’d never ask.” I whispered and then hugged him tighter. “Yes.” We were now one by mind, spirit, blood, and hope. I could not ask for more than being this close to the man I loved. This is what I truly wanted, but I knew we had to go. I let go of Vlad and we both stood. We left my room and I looked down the hall. I could hear girl’s voices coming our way so I had to think fast. I quickly said my Latin words. “Let my love shield this man from the sight of anyone who does not know him until we are out of this school.” I said and then quickly took Vlad’s hand. I could still see him, but I knew no one else could. We started down the halls when I finally saw the girls I had heard. It was the bunny and the group of dancing girls from before. I smiled at them as I turned the corner to them. They all looked at me and smiled. I then noticed Mimi in the group. Her eyes widened as she saw I had brought our hidden man out into the open. She was scared we would be found out, but I just smiled at her.
“Hi Liz!” The bunny said happily in her bunny tone as she ran to me. I quickly hid my hand, which was holding the invisible man’s hand, behind my back.
“Hey.” I said kindly as the bunny looked at me from head to toe. Her hands went to her hips but she still smiled.
“Where ‘ya goin’?” She asked as one of her eyebrows lifted slightly.
“My parents are having a party to celebrate their anniversary.” I lied and she took her hands off of her hips as her eyebrow lowered.
“Oh! Okay. I thought for a minute there you were going to some kind on party I didn’t know about.” She said cheerfully and I smiled as she did. Typical bunny.
“No way. I would totally invite all the girls if I knew about a party.” I said and her smile grew.
“Same.” She said and then laughed. I looked at Mimi who looked completely confused. She walked over to me as the bunny turned back to her followers.
“What the heck?” She whispered to me.
“Don’t worry. No one can see Vlad except for you and me.” I said and she sighed in relief. “I’ll be back really late, so don’t wait up.” I added.
Mimi got as close as she could to me and spoke almost so quietly I couldn’t hear her. “So what happened while I left you two alone?” She whispered and I smiled.
“I’ll tell you later.” I said and she nodded. “Well I’ll see you later.” I said and then walked away with the invisible man. We got out of the school easily and went to Vlad’s car. I got in the passenger’s seat and he drove. But when we got in he didn’t start the car, he just looked at me.
“Are you gonna tell her what we did?” He asked me.
“No. She’ll forget she asked by tomorrow.” I said and he smiled. He started up the car and drove to Luke’s house.

Many cars were parked in the front like every party and people lingered by the door. No one was outside because the sun wasn’t fully away for complete darkness like they enjoyed. Vlad got out of the car and came to my door. When he was in sight of the house everyone outside stopped talking. They stared at him as he opened my door and helped me out. They stared at us as I let go of Vlad’s hand. He walked behind me like he used to when no one knew of our relationship, but now everyone knew and hated him for loving and stealing the love of a princess. But not any princess, the soon-to-be queen, which made them hate it more. We went to the front door and I saw Gwen. I smiled at her. “Good evening, Gwen.” I said kindly and she nodded respectfully. That was odd because she would usually stick her nose up to me or flick me off when I acted nice towards her. Now she had to respect me and the power made me laugh. Usually people would have told me to get away from Vlad like they used to, but now they couldn’t. I was almost queen and they couldn’t deny me.
“Good evening, Elazia.” She said quietly and the scowled at Vlad. “Good evening to you, Sir Vladimir.” She hissed.
“Good evening to you too, Gwen.” He said nicely and then followed me inside. The place was packed, but everyone moved out of my way. I walked to the Queen and King’s thrown. My parents were with them and so was Lucas. I went up to them and all five of them turned to us. My mother and father stared at Vlad and me.
“Good evening, Mom and Dad.” I said kindly.
“Good evening, Ma’am. Good evening Sir.” Vlad said with a bow as he stood to my side a few steps away. They stared at him angrily.
“What are you doing back, Vladimir? And why are you with Elazia?” My father asked rudely.
“Father, as the soon to be queen I will need a guardian and I know Sir Vladimir can do that job.” I said and mother looked concerned. “Mother, it’s okay for me to do this. I have grown out of that childish behavior and understand the rules. I do not have those feelings for Vladimir, so you do not have to worry.”
“But what about his feelings towards you? They are still there.” Father said.
“Father, Vladimir is first and foremost a guardian. He understands what is going on and knows what we felt is gone.” I said quietly. “Vladimir is one of the best guardians out there and I know he will protect me because we are good friends.” I smiled at Vlad and without a second of thought he nodded towards me in a respectful manner.
“Sir, that which you heard about our past shall never happen again. Both of us have come to mutual agreement to be friends like before and help each other out. Nothing more or less.” Vlad explained more and my Father nodded.
“Fine. But if anything, and I mean anything, looks suspicious between you two I will give Elazia a new guardian.” He said and Vlad nodded.
“It is good to see you Queen and King.” I said kindly as I looked at Luke’s parents. They smiled at me and Lucas stared.
“It is good to see you too, dear. How is your new schooling?” The Queen asked.
“Very good. The regular people have understood the circumstances and have accepted me.” I said nicely.
“From my son I heard you have become friends with one of the humans.”
I nodded. “I have become fond of one of them. She is my roommate and is very kind. She was the first to accept me.” I explained and then heard someone call my name from behind me. I turned to see two guys in fancy clothes staring at me.
“Elazia! Hey!” One called and I waved to them.
“If you would excuse me, I have other business.” I said nicely and walked down the three small steps that went up to the throne platform. I stopped when someone tugged on my arm. I looked back to Lucas and my heart jumped.
“Where are you going with those two?” He hissed to me quietly.
“To visit. It’s expected of me.”
“But you’re engaged to me! You should be spending time with me! Not them!”
I stared at him and frowned. “I’ve found out what happens when I spend time with you Prince Lucas. I would rather not take part in it again.” I said firmly and then pulled my arm away. “Goodbye.” I said as I went to the two guys with Vlad following me. I hung out with them for a few hours and we had fun, but Lucas’s brother James interrupted it. He called me away and said we had something to discuss. He led me outside the house and into the back lawn. People with drinks in hand walked outside and were huddled in groups. He brought me to the side yard where it was quiet and still.
“It’s good to see you Elazia.” He said kindly when we stopped at two chairs where no one else was and the only people there were Vlad, James, and I.
“It’s nice to see you too, James.” I said kindly and he looked at Vlad.
“Could you give us a little while?” He asked Vlad. I nodded to Vlad and he left. I turned back to James who seemed grim. “So I heard my brother talking to his friends this afternoon before the ball and I know what he did, to you I mean.”
“About last night?” I asked.
“I heard every word.”
I looked away and he put his hand on my cheek. I turned back to see he was sad for me. “I can’t believe he would do such a thing to a girl who loved him.”
“I would have never guessed that either. It was very sudden and unexpected.”
“How badly did he take advantage of you?”
“I don’t remember. I passed out.”
“From what?”
“He pierced my shoulder and I passed out from the pain.” I explained and he looked sadder. I put my hand on his shoulder and sighed. “What did he say other than that and why was he telling those guys?”
“The guys were talking about how hot you were and Luke said he was your fiancé. The other guys said meant nothing physical so Luke bragged about him sleeping with you.” He described. “He didn’t say much except that it was the best thing he has ever done.” I looked away at the dark sky and told myself to hold on with this life I hated. Soon I would be free to live with Vlad and would leave this behind.
“Ah.” I replied quietly and James stood.
“It has been good talking, but I need to cool my head. This whole thing angers me to an extreme.” He said and he walked back inside. Vlad came to me and looked sorry.
“I was in hearing range and heard everything.” He said quietly and then asked, “Why are you so calm when he is treating you like that?”
I put my hand on his cheek and smiled. “I ignore all the bad things happening and look forward to someday living with you and not being royal.”
He smiled and then we walked inside. Vlad walked behind me like usual but he opened the door to the house for me. When he did I heard screams, clatter, and yelling. We quickly went in to see everyone in the house moving away from the throne platform like it was on fire. Guards ran faster than I had seen towards the platform, but the moving crowd blocked them. I looked over at the platform to see the Queen with a look of horror and the King running towards the commotion. He ran towards James who held Lucas off the ground by his neck. James looked almost evil and angry.
“James! Let Lucas go!” The King yelled as he pulled at James’s arms that held up Lucas, but he was quickly pushed away.
“Not until Lucas apologizes!” James yelled and the past 24 hours flew through my head. I quickly ran to the stage and grabbed James’s arm. He looked at me oddly.
“Put him down, James! Killing him won’t help anyone!” I yelled and he quickly dropped Lucas. Lucas fell to the ground and started coughing. James stared at him angrily as I still held his arm. I quickly looked away from Lucas and up to James. “Please James, go take a walk and cool your head. You are too mad right now and can’t think straight.”
“Why are you so calm about this?! He should pay for what he did to you, but you refuse to tell anyone!” James yelled and the King stood in front of us.
“Miss Elazia! What is wrong with my son?” He demanded.
“There is nothing wrong, James is just mad.” I said quietly.
James threw his arms into the air madly. “Of course something’s wrong! Something has been wrong since last night!”
“What could have happened that could be so bad that you had to choke your brother?!” The King yelled.
“Rape!” James yelled.
“James! Stop!” I ordered and he frowned.
“I’m not going to let this slide, Elazia!” James yelled and then looked at his father. “Lucas raped Elazia last night, but she won’t tell anyone! I couldn’t leave that be! That is wrong and unjust for Lucas to do that!”
“I did not!” Lucas yelled as he stood. “I would never do that!” He put his hand near me and I took a few steps back. Before I could do anything Vladimir stood between Luke and I. Luke put down his hand and frowned.
“Don’t touch her.” Vlad ordered. “Sir, Lucas did rape Elazia last night. I had to heal her wounds early this morning.”
“Then why are there no marks left?” Lucas asked and my heart stopped. He knew we had become one vampire! But how? We hid it!
“Please, just drop it.” I whispered sadly. “He is soon going to be king. No one can deny him now.”
“Elazia, I am still the king, so Lucas has no right to do anything and you have no right to keep this from me. Now tell me what’s going on.” The king said.
“Sir, I’m sorry. I cannot say.”
“What?!”
“If I do everyone will hate your son! I don’t want that! That is the last thing I would ever want!” I yelled. “Please just drop this and let it go.”
“I cannot let rape slide, Elazia. It is a law.”
“But I have no proof even if it happened. I have healed my body with the help of Vladimir. There are no marks left on my body.” I said quietly. “And you cannot trust anything I say, can you? I lied to everyone about Vladimir before so why would I be telling the truth now, right?”
“I trust everything you say, Elazia. You just didn’t tell us about Sir Vladimir because you knew what would happen to him. You did it to protect him, so that does not mean you lied.” The king said kindly. “And if my son feels so strongly about this that he would choke his brother, then it must be true.”
“It is! I heard Lucas bragging about it earlier today and I confirmed it from Elazia and Vladimir! Lucas raped Elazia last night and is holding Vladimir’s life as bait so she will not tell you anything!” James yelled and I jumped. I didn’t know anyone knew of that part. Lucas ran towards Vladimir with a knife in his hand.
“Bastard!” Lucas yelled and I ran in front of Vladimir.
“No!” I yelled. The knife pierced my upper left side of my chest. I gasped as I grabbed the quickly bleeding spot and held tears back. I slid down to my knees quickly but looked at Lucas. “Don’t you dare harm Sir Vladimir! He has nothing to do with this!” I gasped through aches of pain. Lucas ran out of the house through the backdoor and the guards followed him. James, Vlad, and the King ran to me.
“Elazia!” The three of them yelled as they kneeled by me. Vlad seemed mad. “Why the hell did you take that knife for me?!”
“You had…nothing to do… with this…” I said as blood dripped off the end of the knife and onto my dress. My father and mother ran to me. My mother came to me with the Queen following. They were both crying for me and I felt horrible. “Please…
someone go find…Lucas…he is in…no condition to be…out by himself…”
My father looked at the King as my mother looked at the Queen. “I will go.” The Queen said and my mother wanted to go too. The two of them left as Vladimir picked me up. I forced my eyes to stay open as the King ordered everyone to leave. The whole ruining of this night was my fault and I knew it.
“Vladimir, please put me down.” I said quietly as James came beside him. Vlad helped me stand. I turned to him and took his hand in mine. He looked at me in shock since we weren’t supposed to show our feelings tonight. He looked concerned when I let go of his hand and firmly helped him grasp the knife. “Pull it out quickly or it will be more painful.” I said as I took my hand off his.
“But I can’t! You’ll die from lack of blood!”
I smiled at Vladimir. “I trust I won’t die.” I said quietly. “Please, Vlad. Do it quickly before my body becomes dependent of the knife being there.” He nodded slowly and then quickly pulled his hand backwards. I gasped and my eyes started to close. I felt James’s warm arms catch me and my mind went blank.

I came to in about an hour but did not understand what I saw. A man with gold hair and black eyes sat on a box in front of me. The area I was in was so dark that I could not see anything. No walls, no sky, no ground. All I could see was the man’s face and body because of the red glow that reflected on him from the cigarette in his mouth. It startled me to only be with a stranger in an area where I could see nothing else, but what made me more uncertain was that he looked familiar. The man looked over at me and his mouth formed a smile around the cigarette. “You are the first person I have seen in a while.” He said in a gruff voice. He looked no older than 20 but had the voice of a 40 year old man. “And a very beautiful girl I might add. It is a gift from the gods I guess.” He took the cigarette out of his mouth and blew out a puff of smoke as he tapped the end of the cigarette so that the ashes at the tip of it fell off.
“Where am I?” I asked in a quiet voice.
“Not sure. All I know is I haven’t seen anyone in here for a long time.”
“Then how did you get a cigarette?” I asked. “Someone had to give it to you.”
“I don’t know. There have been cigarettes in this place since I got here.” He replied as the cigarette reentered his lips. “I assume the Princess doesn’t smoke?”
“What?”
“You’re Princess Elazia. My, you have grown since I came here. I wonder how long it has been.” He said kindly.
“So you’re a vampire?” He nodded and the glow of the cigarette moved. “Of what rank are you?” I asked and he smiled again.
“I’m one of your people, nothing more. My family is made of guardians.”
“Oh? And who is your family?” I asked politely even thought I didn’t care.
“Well both my parents and older brother have been through here a while ago. So I guess my younger brother is the only one left.” His smile turned into a dazed look. “Maybe you have met him.”
“If I have I can tell you how he is.” I said nicely.
He smiled again. “Well if you have met him I’m sure you would remember. Since he was 2 he has wanted to become your guardian.”
“Really?”
He nodded and the glow moved once again. “Does the name Vladimir Hajji ring any bells?” He asked and I froze. I knew who he reminded me of. The eyes, the hair, the skin color. It was so clear now. He is Vlad’s brother, or was.
“You’re Vlad’s brother?!” I gasped and the guy laughed. He stood from the box and walked towards me.
“So you know him?”
I blushed. “I definitely know him, that’s for sure.”
“Oh? What do you mean?”
“I’m in love with your brother.” I said quietly and the man looked shocked. “Vlad and I are engaged.”
“But I thought you were supposed to marry that prince Lucas?”
“I am, but I am in love with your brother and he proposed to me last night.”
“Well how could someone like you end up dead if my brother was protecting you?” He asked and my body froze.
“I’m dead?!” I screamed.
“Well, not exactly. You are in a stage between death and life, just like me. You must be on the verge of dying.” He said and I calmed down slightly. “But why would the princess almost be killed when Vlad is defending her? I don’t understand that.”
“Prince Lucas found out about my love for your brother and tried to stab him to death, but I knew the only reason Vlad was in the situation was because I had fallen in love with him. So I jumped in front of him and was stabbed.” I said quietly. “Well its fine if I die. At least Vlad is okay.”
The man put his hand on my shoulder and I looked deeply into his eyes for the answers he was trying to tell me. “I must thank you for saving my brother’s life.”
I shook my head and smiled. “I wanted to. But what I don’t get is why Vlad never said anything about his family.”
“Probably because most of us are dead.”
“But if you’re here you can’t be dead.”
“I’m in a coma, so I might as well be dead.” He said quietly. “I was hit by a car when I was 8. Vlad was 5 at the time and I have been here since. But it is good to hear he is doing well.”
I put my hand on his chest and looked at him. He seemed shocked by my actions. “What is your name? I only know you as Vlad’s brother.”
“I’m Kei Hajji.” He said kindly.
“Well Kei, there is something I must tell you. Your brother and I have become one vampire. Do you know what that means?”
“You are pregnant with my niece or nephew.” He said and I nodded. I pulled my necklace slightly from my neck and showed it to Kei.
“Your brother gave this to me last night.” I said quietly. I unclasped it and handed it to Kei. He looked shocked and unsure. “I think you can do more with his than I can. But when you come out of your coma, could you give that to Vlad? I think he would want it back.” Kei handed the necklace back to me and I was confused.
“He won’t want it back unless you come with it, princess. I know he loves you more than the world itself so I know I’m right when I say that. ” He said kindly and then I saw his eyes widen as he looked at me. “Looks like you won’t be joining the dead today, Princess. You’re glowing, which means you are being brought back to the living.”
I was glowing and I felt odd. “But what about you?”
“I’ll be here.”
“But where is your body?”
“I don’t know anymore. I forgot a long time ago.”
“Kei, I will bring you out of this sad place once I can.” I said. “I swear I will.”
“It doesn’t matter, Princess. Just tell my brother I am okay. That’s all I want.” Kei took a hold of my arm and I felt a sharp pain. Then the darkness faded as I felt myself go back into my body. I couldn’t open my eyes, but I could hear.
“I’m sorry, Sirs. We have tried everything, but her heart won’t start back up.” An unknown man said and my heart skipped a beat. Kei had said the truth! I had almost died. I waited a moment and then heard a door close. I didn’t hear any noise for a while, so I opened my eyes. I was in a hospital filled with white. A sleeping James was in the corner of the room in a chair with a bag in his lap. I smiled but then looked at my body. The whole top of me was covered in gauze and other bandages. I could feel stitches where I had been stabbed and only had one thing on my mind. I had to tell Vlad that Kei was still alive. A couching noise filled the room and startled me. I looked at the bottom of James’s chair and saw Lucas leaning against it. He was asleep while sitting on the floor. I slowly pulled the white covers that were on me off and got out of the bed without waking the two of them. I went over to Lucas first to see why he was here. I sat down next to him on the floor and tapped his shoulder. His eyes slowly came open and he stared at me. He opened his mouth to yell but I quickly put my hand over it.
“Shhhh!” I whispered as I pointed to James. Lucas stared at me as looked at him. “Lucas, where is everyone?” I asked.
“They all were told you had passed on.” He whispered.
“So are they outside?” I asked and he nodded. I quickly stood and kissed James on the cheek. His eyes flew open and he stared at me.
“Elazia! They just said you died!” He exclaimed and I shushed him.
“I was saved by a dear friend.” I said and he looked confused.
“How is your shoulder?”
“It’s okay. I will live.” I said and then I went to the door of the room.
“Liz, I’m really sorry about what I have done.” Lucas said as he followed me with James behind him. I ignored him and opened the door. Five familiar people stared at me in shock. My mother looked up from hugging my father and the Queen did the same from the King’s arms. They both had tears down their faces and both men holding them seemed relieved but shocked. Vlad looked speechless.
“Sorry to worry you all.” I said with a smile. “Everything is fine now.” My mother ran to me and squeezed me in her grasp. She cried on my shoulder and the bandages soaked it up. I slowly stroked her hair and laid my head on her shoulder. “Sorry Mother. I must have frightened you.”
“I was so scared we had lost you!” She cried as she looked at me.
“I know. I’m sorry.”
“What brought you back, my girl?” The King asked me and I smiled.
“No one would believe me, but...” I replied and then looked at Vlad. “Sir Vladimir’s brother actually helped me come back.” I said as I let go of my mother. I looked at my arm and then turned it to them. I pointed to the black tattoo that now inhabited it. It was a circle of black with odd shapes inside it. In the top right corner was a small black dot that had half a circle below it. The line that made the half circle got thicker as it went towards the dot bit it stopped a few millimeters away from the edge of the dot. There was a large shape that inhabited the rest of the circle. The beginning of it started near the dot and wound away in curls that stopped at the circle. There was one small area that had the last odd object. It was diagonal from the dot. It was the Chinese symbol for love. “He gave me this before I left him.”
“Grad gave that to you?” Vlad asked. “But he died a long time ago.”
I shook my head and then went over to Vlad. I put my hand on his cheek and he looked shocked. “No, It was actually was Kei. He told me how he got to wherever we were. He told me about the accident.” I took my hand off his cheek and smiled. “He wanted me to tell you that he is okay.” Vlad seemed confused and concerned. A scream diverted my attention and I quickly looked down the hall. Mimi was frozen in her tracks as the infamous playboy bunny, Allie, ran towards me.
“Liz!” She screamed and then she reached me. She hugged me tightly and I stood there in shock as Mimi walked towards us while laughing.
“I came to check on you and Allie insisted to come. Sorry.” Mimi explained and I smiled. “Are you doing better?”
I nodded. “I’m glad you two came.” I said kindly and Allie let go of me. She twirled on the tips of her toes and then stopped back in front of me.
“Of course you’re glad to see us! We’re friends!” She laughed and I smiled. That was the first time any girl had said she was friends with me and it felt good.
“Dear, who are these girls?” My father asked.
“Father, they go to my new school. This is Allie and Mimi. Mimi is my roommate and Allie was the first girl I met at the school.” I explained and Mimi saw Lucas. She stared at me with a frown.
“Why is he here?” She demanded from me.
“Mimi…”
“He raped you, Liz! Why are you anywhere near him!” She yelled at me and then turned to Vlad. “And why are you letting him near her?! Aren’t you her guardian?!”
“Mimi, please.” I said and she looked mad.
“Shouldn’t he be locked up or something?! He may be a prince and all but he still did something wrong!” She yelled.
“Mimi…” Lucas said and she put her hands on her hips. “I’m sorry for what I did to you and Liz, okay?”
“No it’s not okay!” She said and James laughed. Mimi turned to him in an unapproved way. “What’s so funny?”
“Oh, nothing. I just like your spirit.” James said. “It reminds me a lot of Elazia.”
Mimi took her hands off her hips and calmed down, but the adults still seemed mad because of her yelling at the prince. “Who are you?” She asked him.
“Mimi, this is James. He is Lucas’s older brother.” I said as I smiled towards him. “He is the second prince of the vampires.”
“Your hatred towards Lucas reminds me a lot of my own. It’s nice to meet someone with some backbone that will stand up to a Prince.”
“Has Liz told you everything?”
He shook his head. “Only some.”
“Well I have to tell you, it was horrible. Before Vlad helped heal Liz she had cuts and scrapes all over her body.” She said. “When I got her away from Luke she was in shambles and shaken up.”
“Mimi…please. This isn’t your place to speak.” I said as I put my hand on her shoulder. She looked at me angrily.
“But it is your place to speak and you won’t say anything!” She argued. “I saw everything, Liz! I know almost everything that happened!”
“Mimi, I think it is time for you to go.” I said firmly and she seemed sad.
“But Liz…” She started to say but I took my hand off of her.
“Take Allie with you and leave. I will be back to school tonight or so.” I said as I turned away. She walked away with Allie and then I looked at my mother. “I’m sorry mother. She does not know what she is saying.” No one said anything as I went back into my room and shut the door behind me. They started talking and there was yelling outside the door, but I ignored it. I went to the sink in the room and wetted a paper towel. I sat on my hospital bed and set my dress in my lap that had been on the floor. I took the wet paper towel to the blood stain on my dress and slowly scrubbed it out. The yelling outside my room dispersed and it was silent. I changed into my dress and put my shoes on that had been under my bed. I walked out of the room to see Vlad leaning against the wall by the door. He smiled at me and looked at what I was wearing. I turned and pointed to the zipper. “Please.” I said quietly and he zipped it up.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


greatwriter said...
on Feb. 2 2013 at 11:18 pm
greatwriter, Chicago, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Why fit in when you were born to STAND OUT.

I usually don't like books about vampires and love stories that seem far-fetched but this one was GREAT!!!

on Oct. 6 2011 at 9:37 am
Mermaidmissy SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
8 articles 0 photos 136 comments
I really love this book, I hope you keep on writing some more pages soon. Keep up the good work ok. Oh yeah can you look at some of my poems and my book please. Thank You!! :)