Her name is Ugly

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Chapter 5

“Mom, I’m not going.” She pauses, crossing her arms rather smugly. “You can’t make me.”

Woman turned around, tears threatening to pool over in her eyes. “You’re right.”

Woman keeps walking though, pulling Abby’s hand and watching from the corner of her eye as David, rather reluctantly, stalks after her.

“I’m not like these people.” She murmurs underneath her breath, trying to convince herself that she isn’t some depressed, wrist-slitting psycho.

The three of them walked into the meeting, Abby, David and Woman. They took a seat at the back of the room and watched as other individuals on the brink of suicide collectively walked in.

David sunk look into her chair, trying to avoid the stares and whispers and the questioning looks. She got a couple of sympathetic looks, but most were confused.

The girl was about David’s age, give or take a year. She had matted black hair that was chopped short in the back and left hanging long in the front. Her blue eyes looked sad, her voice sounded depressed.

“Hello, my name is Jenna and I’m suicidal,” the girl said.

All at once the group responds, “Hi, Jenna.”

David scoffs, this really is like the movies she thinks. The whole repeat-after-me-shit in the dim lighted church basement.

It’s a wonder how anyone got any better.

After Jenna was a guy, at least twenty that had eyes that weren’t sad and a voice that was strong and sure. “Hi, my name is Jake and I was suicidal.”

The whole group turned to him in awe, as if just saying he used to be suicidal was a god given miracle.

But suicide is a fickle thing, once you dig yourself that hole it’s all the much easier to fall back in.

A few more people go before it’s David’s turn. She immediately stands up, her dark washed jeans and t-shirt seemingly out of place in the dark basement and her dispirited new “friends.”

“Hi, my name is Ugly.” She pauses, sending a glance at Woman. “I mean David.” She corrects as if it were a mistake in the first place.

Jake watches the new girl, his interest immediately peaked, the scar running down her face was, in fact, ugly. The shiny glint that shown off the hanging lights made it seem long, dark and scary and uncannily contradictory to the somewhat brighter face that she had than the rest of the suicidal freaks.

Sue, the suicide therapist hired by the group parents, nodded at David as if the fact that she said her name was “Ugly” was of the upmost importance. Stopping the next person from going, she opens her mouth.

A telltale sign that she is going to ask a question.

“David, why did you introduce yourself that way?”

It was the mischievous glint in her eye that made Jake listen to her, unlike all the other times when he would just space out and watch water drip from the ceiling.

“Beautiful died the day I was attacked, Sue, and Ugly took her place.”

A smile crossed her face, Jake knew she was faking her lunacy, he also thought she was doing a damn well good job of it too.

“Who is Beautiful?”

David cocked her head, “honestly?”

Sue nods her head, “honestly.”

She takes a deep breath, the glint gone from her eyes as they start to glaze over. “Beautiful was me,” she pointedly stares at Jake, emphasizing the ‘was’. “Ugly is me.”

Jake squashes the smirk rising to his lips, his final thought before he spaced out on the suicidal bunch of depressed teens was ’this is going to be easy.’

This book has 24 comments. Post your own now!

deatheater1201This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 25 at 11:51 pm
OMFG I LOVE THIS BOOK YOU HAD ME AT THE FIRST  COUPLE SENTENCES AND THEN AT PAGE 6 OF 7 YOU PUT CONVERSE INTO THE STORY IM HOOKED ON YOUR RIGHTING AND WE SHOULD DO A BOOK TOGETHER SOME TIME MABYE?

Nyoman said...
I miss Jack

SmileyFace3356 said...
This is AMAZING!!!!!!  I absolutely loved it.  Write more!!!!!

Dalia... said...
OMG this is sooooooo good please write more of this book!!!!!!!

fluffy_504 said...
Sept. 22, 2013 at 2:31 am
Wow. There are lots of words i can say about this book. But WOW is what it comes down to. It would be awsome if you wrote more for the story to continue.

BlazeRayn said...
Wow. Just, wow. I started the story thinking i wouldnt really like it and it would just pass the time, but by the time i reached the end i was like, Thats all i get?? I NEED MORE! Keep writing, PLEASE!

yourlove-mywings said...
this was really good. it was kind of confusing in the beginning, but over all it was really good. i can feel what david felt. being looked at oddly because of the scar, but she knows what she was like before... i liked it a lot. well done... :D

Maddyw5 said...
This story is absolutely captivating.  I can feel Daniel's pain, and I can picture what she has gone though.  Great job!  I would really love to read what happens next

Nani22 said...
I really enjoy your story-line. I want to know more and you do a fantastic job of showing your character's emotions. I want to know more about his Jack character and also Declan. Please write more!

nanamay said...
i love the story write more!!!!!!! who dose she stay with? never mind. its awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommieyboy said...
Loving the storyline. I can realy feel her pain.

HeLLo2u2 said...
The way you write is amaazing i would realy think of geting thin published when its done!!! FIVE STARS ;)

SilverLuna said...
I found this extremely well written and truly enjoyed the characters and story line. The page format (huge spaces between lines) did get tiring after awhile, but that can be easily fixed and might just be because of the writing software you use on your computer. I really, really, really want to get the end of this...the conclusion, all of it. So PLEASE you must spare us the agony of waiting write more(: Thanks for posting it so we could all read it! It's great!

RRRRR replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:19 am
Thanks! I am at a writer's block at the moment, but I will get through it! As for the huge spaces I would rather have those than no space at all, ya know? Thanks for Commenting!

Naesmarts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:34 am
you have to keep writing! this is brilliant!

impossibletolove said...
i freaking love this story!!!! <3 keep writing!!!

RRRRR replied...
thanks a ton!

. replied...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:09 am
you're extremely welcome!!!

anim3gurl said...
wow this is great... You should write more... i luv all your other stories too

RRRRR replied...
Thanks so much!