Steven

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

The Yankees Cap

When we opened the door, Sarah was standing in front of us, tapping her foot like a disappointed mother. I glanced at Steve. His eyes were wide, like he had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. We all stood there for a while, no one daring to say anything. Then Sarah cleared her throat.
“Steven?”
He couldn’t seem to form any words. All he managed to do was nod.
Sarah did this angry, snarling lip twitch thing that I’d only seen hungry lions do, and she snatched Steve’s hand from mine. I hadn’t realized that we’d been holding hands. “What the hell is going on here?” Steve and I looked at each other, then at Sarah. “Steven!”
“I kissed Della.” Honest to a fault. He said it so matter-of-factly that it made Sarah’s face turn bright red. I half expected her to explode. I bet if you threw water her, she’d melt.
“Steven! How dare you-”
“Sarah, please.”
And, out of nowhere, Sarah burst into tears. For a second Steve and I stood there, unsure of what to do. Then Steven stepped forward and took Sarah into his arms. I wasn’t entirely sure if I should help him calm her down or just wait until they were done. I decided to wait.
Sarah was wailing, and people were beginning to stare. But Steve was still holding her, stroking her hair and whispering things that I wished I could hear. Eventually, Sarah’s breathing slowed and Steve let her go. “I’m sorry,” he said.
Sorry?
He stood in the middle of Sarah and I, watching each of us out of the corner of his eyes. I finally spoke. “What happens now?”
I hoped that he would let Sarah down easy. I wasn’t sure how she would react to another shock.
“I don’t know.”
What?
“What?” Sarah blurted out.
“I. Don’t. Know.”
Steve looked like a deer in headlights, scared and confused.
“Well you have to choose one of us, Stevie.”
Stevie? She talked to him like he was a puppy.
“I know,” he said, still unsure of himself and what he would do. I pleaded with him with my eyes, begging him to choose me. I love you, Steve. I love you.
“So choose.”
Damn, Sarah was demanding.
His eyes darted from me to her, and he didn’t say anything for a while. I thought that this would be a no-brainer for him. His friend he’s known forever who‘s head over heels in love with him, or a rude cheerleader he’s known for not even a year? Why was this so difficult for him?
“I can’t.”
What?
“What?” Sarah screeched. A few people walking past stopped and shot her weird looks.
“I can’t-not now.”
“Well, WHEN?”
God, Sarah, calm down.
“I…”
I didn’t say anything, but I watched him as he scrambled for the right words.
“I don’t know.”
Sarah was starting to turn an unnatural shade of blue. “What do you mean you don’t know?!” Every syllable was pumped full of venom. “You’d better know soon, Steven, or I’ll make your decision ten times easier.”
I wasn’t sure if she meant that she’d dump him or kill me.
Frustrated, she fixed her skirt and hair, her green eyes ablaze, and seemed to make a choice in her head. “I’m leaving, Steven.”
“Sarah, wait-”
“If you choose me, call me later tonight. If not then…just don’t call at all.”
She stormed off in a huff. He sighed.
“I’m sorry, Steve, but I’m going to have to agree with Sarah.” I would probably never say THAT again. “Call me if you pick me.”
He struggled to say something, but he couldn’t get anything out. I turned to leave, but stopped myself. I spun back around to him. “I don’t want you to feel bad if you don’t choose me, Steve. We were friends before this. We can be friends after it.” A smile tugged at his lips. “Bye.”
Before I went, he took me by the wrist. “Bye.” Then he placed his Yankees cap on my head and grinned. I shyly smiled back, turned, and left.

C.L.Erins said...
i like how she was brave enough to stick around after Sarah showed up I would have bolted when she stared crying nicely done :)

DallysGrrl replied...
Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm :
Thanks so much!

IT_WILL_RAIN said...
i like how he couldnt decide, that was kind of jerkish but i liked how it turned out.

DallysGrrl replied...
Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm :
Thank you!

writerchik_123 said...
More!!!!!!! Please more!!!!!

DallysGrrl replied...
Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm :
I'm adding more soon. I know it took a long time, but I'm finally catching up on all of my teen ink stuff.

BrownEyedGirl said...

It was very good!  I enjoyed it!  I think it could have used a bit more detail, but it was simple enough that I loved it!  Hope you write more soon!

DallysGrrl replied...
Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm :
Thanks! I appreciate the criticism and will definitely take it into account as I finally begin to edit it :)

Bookworm1998 said...
at first, i thought it was a total cliche how it was gonna work out, but then it totally twisted and i loved that! good on you for a surprise climatic point. :)

DallysGrrl replied...
Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:43 pm :
Thanks! I appreciate and was glad that it wasn't too expected.

DallysGrrl said...
Thanks so much. And no, but I did kind of have a dream about it so I embelished it because I liked its concept. Thanks again. :)

Thandiwe said...
GREAT!!:). is this based on a true story?

LilLover5-15 said...

Love ittttt

DallysGrrl replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:32 am :
Thanks glad you liked it so much!!

Esperanza replied...
Sept. 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm :
oh my gosh this is sooooooo good it's like ur painting a picture in my head and that's the sign of a really good writer!!!!