Steven

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

The High School Dynamic

In our small town, parties were a big deal. It was a sign of status, and whoever threw the biggest party of the weekend was the new ‘it’ boy or girl on Monday at school. Whoever made the biggest fool of themselves was the new social outcast. And whoever hooked up were either the newest couple or part of the latest well-known feud.
It was a simple, solid, reliable dynamic that I had come to depend on during my stay on the twisting and turning planet that is high school. As were people’s stereotypes. Every stereotype ever imagined about high school had been embodied at my school. The jocks. The cheerleaders. The geeks. The drama club students. Every expectation of high school I had ever thought of had been fulfilled by the students with which I shared the halls.
I was the artsy nerd. Which was not a bad thing, necessarily. People appreciated my art and writing, while respecting my intelligence, mostly because I wasn’t one of the geeks that shoved it in their face. So I went mostly unnoticed except for a ‘hi’ here or there.
Steven was a different story. He was artsy, like me, and smart, too. But people knew his name. People knew Steven Greenburg and said much more than ‘hi’ to him in the hallways.
Not that I blamed them. Steve was everything that you wanted in a friend. Or boyfriend. He was honest, sometimes to a fault, and loyal. He kept secrets and backed you up when you needed help. He made everyone laugh, even the teachers, and had all of the answers to the homework. He was practically perfect, except for that one scar above his left eyebrow he’d gotten in a skateboarding accident when he was thirteen. S
Steven and I had been close friends for years, but ever since Steve had been bumped up the social ladder from mundane artist to well-known guy’s guy, I was demoted and Sarah replaced me. She had been placed on the same rung as Steve, in the middle upper-class of the high school hierarchy, and she glommed onto him like a leech. Being a cheerleader made her the perfect candidate for Steve’s girlfriend, or at least that’s what she thought, and she did everything in her power to make her aspirations come true.
Steve hadn’t asked her out yet, but everyone assumed that it was only a matter of time before he was broken down by Sarah Goldman’s patented seduction techniques. They always were.
And so I watched hopelessly as Steve began to become another of Sarah’s victims.

This book has 15 comments. Post your own now!

C.L.Erins said...
i like how she was brave enough to stick around after Sarah showed up I would have bolted when she stared crying nicely done :)

DallysGrrl replied...
Thanks so much!

IT_WILL_RAINThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i like how he couldnt decide, that was kind of jerkish but i liked how it turned out.

DallysGrrl replied...
Thank you!

writerchik_123 said...
More!!!!!!! Please more!!!!!

DallysGrrl replied...
I'm adding more soon. I know it took a long time, but I'm finally catching up on all of my teen ink stuff.

BrownEyedGirl said...

It was very good!  I enjoyed it!  I think it could have used a bit more detail, but it was simple enough that I loved it!  Hope you write more soon!

DallysGrrl replied...
Thanks! I appreciate the criticism and will definitely take it into account as I finally begin to edit it :)

Bookworm1998 said...
at first, i thought it was a total cliche how it was gonna work out, but then it totally twisted and i loved that! good on you for a surprise climatic point. :)

DallysGrrl replied...
Thanks! I appreciate and was glad that it wasn't too expected.

DallysGrrl said...
Thanks so much. And no, but I did kind of have a dream about it so I embelished it because I liked its concept. Thanks again. :)

Thandiwe said...
GREAT!!:). is this based on a true story?

LilLover5-15 said...

Love ittttt

DallysGrrl replied...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 11:32 am
Thanks glad you liked it so much!!

Esperanza replied...
oh my gosh this is sooooooo good it's like ur painting a picture in my head and that's the sign of a really good writer!!!!