The R Word

Author's note: I wrote this book a little of a year ago in my spare time. It was just for fun and I started...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this book a little of a year ago in my spare time. It was just for fun and I started writing while visiting my grandparents in the mountains. After I got home I couldn't stop writing. I hope you enjoy the twists and turns as much as I did while writing them! Just keep reading, you'll never believe the ending!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 Next »

Alternative Motives

Kristen’s face lit up as she read the new text message on the screen on her cell phone. She was propped up against Sarah Mae’s wall, lounging out on her bed. Sarah Mae had invited Amber, Kristen, and Megan over to plan Andrea’s going away party. But Kristen’s mind was too occupied to concentrate.
“Oh my God Kristen. Turn the damn phone off!” Amber complained as Kristen furiously punched in a reply, giggling like crazy.
“Who is she texting?” Megan wondered as Sarah Mae grabbed a black Sharpie pen and notebook from her red wood desk.
“You didn’t hear?” Amber rolled her eyes sarcastically.
“Kristen’s dating Tucker Layton now!” Sarah Mae announced with fake enthusiasm.
“You’re what?” Megan demanded, her eyes widening and her jaw hanging. “You’re dating Tucker Layton? Are you insane?” She demanded.
“He’s changed.” Kristen shrugged, her eyes not leaving the screen on her cell phone.
She was reluctant to tell her friends for a reason. Tucker Layton sure had a strong reputation, and everyone knew him as the bad boy to stay away from. Kristen couldn’t help it, he still had the super attractive dangerous vibe, along with his new sweet changed side. How could she resist?
He’d asked her out earlier that day at school, and they were going on their first date tomorrow night.
“I highly doubt that.” Megan snorted.
“Yeah, he just tells girl’s he’s changed to get them in bed.” Amber added.
“And then he throws them out and finds a new one.” Sarah Mae agreed.
“What is this? Bash Kristen’s new boyfriend day? Give it a rest would you? Nothing you say is going to make me break up with him.” Kristen rolled her eyes, took a deep breath and shoved her phone into her pocket.
“So pigheaded.” Sarah Mae laughed once and winked at Kristen. Kristen laughed with her, she knew it was true.
Kristen did feel kind of bad for the real reasons she’d said yes to Tucker. Yeah he was hot, and she honestly wanted to go out with him, but the main reason was because of Brooklyn and Parker. They were the newest announced couple in the school, and all Kristen could do was be pissed and jealous. Brooklyn of all people had to steal her man. She was really only dating Tucker in a sad attempt to make Parker jealous. Or at least make it appear like she moved on too. As for Brooklyn…she hadn’t decided how she was going to get back at her yet.
Yesterday, after Kristen stranded Brooklyn at the school, she’d caught a ride with Parker. Of course the moment Brooklyn got home she went tattling to Kristen’s mom, who was not pleased. Her own mother wouldn’t even listen to her side of the story.
“Anyway,” Amber cut in, “Let’s get back to planning Andrea’s going away party. We don’t have much time. So I was thinking we hold the party next weekend, so that gives us like a week to finalize details and stuff.”
“But Andrea leaves in two weeks.” Megan argued.
“Exactly. So we have the party a week before she leaves.” Amber shrugged.
It was Friday afternoon, and they’d already agreed that this weekend was out of the question. And to avoid parent issues and to insure everyone could come, they decided to have the party on a weekend.
“I think next weekend could work.” Kristen nodded.
“Okay so next weekend,” Sarah Mae echoed as she wrote it down on the notebook.
“Guest list?” Amber wondered.
“Exclusive.” Sarah Mae replied quickly. “No losers.”
“What about Tucker?” Megan asked.
Everyone looked up at Kristen.
Kristen raised her eye brows, staring at Sarah Mae’s face. This entire party was Sarah Mae’s idea in the first place, so she had the final say. What if her best friend said that Kristen couldn’t bring her new boyfriend to the party? Then what would she do?
Kristen watched as Sarah Mae pursed her lips, opened and closed her mouth a few times and then sighed. “Tucker can come. But if there is any trouble you are handling it Kristen. I am so not dealing with police, violence and drugs at Andrea’s going away party.” Sarah Mae finally decided.
“No trouble.” Kristen grinned.
“I’m serious Kris. If you don’t think he can control himself, don’t bring him.” Sarah Mae added.
“He’s changed.” Kristen assured her, crossing her arms over her chest. Why was her boyfriend the main problem here? “What about Trey?” Kristen wondered.
“What about him?” Sarah Mae asked robotically.
“Well, what’s going on with you two? Last I heard you were fighting. So are you guys on or off?” Kristen wondered.
“We’re fine.” Sarah Mae shrugged stiffly.
“So are you going to bring him?” Kristen wondered.
“Why so many questions?” Sarah Mae demanded, looking up from her notebook.
“Why so defensive?” Kristen retorted, eye brows raised.
Sarah Mae sighed and looked around the room once. “Okay so we’re not fine. I don’t know what we are.” Sarah Mae shrugged. “I haven’t heard from him in over a week.”
“Why haven’t you called him?” Megan wondered.
“I shouldn’t have to be the one to call him. This fight is all his fault. So he needs to be the one to fix it. Not me.” Sarah Mae explained. “Can we just drop it?”
“Cool.” Kristen held up her palms in surrender. “So what about beverages?” Kristen wondered. “Alcohol, no alcohol?”
“Depends on the parental units.” Amber shrugged. “Is our party going to be supervised like some lame school dance?” Amber looked at Sarah Mae.
“Well it is Andrea’s going away party. Don’t you think her parents would want to come?” Sarah Mae wondered.
“Don’t you think Andrea will want to get drunk with us one last time?” Amber laughed.
Sarah Mae rolled her eyes. “We do not need you drunk again Amber. Remember last time?”
Everyone laughed. Amber was crazy enough to begin with, adding alcohol was not a smart idea.

After they planned for two hours straight, Kristen had taken off. On her drive home she spoke to Tucker over the phone, who was sweet and charming. Kristen pulled her car into the driveway and hopped out.
There weren’t any cars on the street or in the driveway besides hers, so unless Brooklyn had parked in the garage, it looked like no one was home.
Kristen grabbed a protein bar and water bottle out of the kitchen and headed upstairs to her room. She tossed her things onto the floor and flopped down on her bed.
Exhaling dramatically, Kristen looked at her phone, whose battery had died. Kristen frowned. She didn’t know where her charger was. What if Tucker had texted her? Would he be one of those guys who got mad when someone didn’t respond?
Kristen squinted her eyes at what sounded like…giggling. She could have sworn no one else was home. She pushed herself off the bed and went towards the sound which lead to Brooklyn’s room. Kristen hesitated, staring at the door. She grabbed the door knob and threw it open, immediately regretting it. On Brooklyn’s bed was Brooklyn and Parker, making out. Parker was over Brooklyn, and Brooklyn’s iPod was playing some bad classical song in the background.
Parker and Brooklyn looked up at the same time. Kristen’s jaw dropped and she held back a gag. Ew. That was something she never needed to see.
Parker’s face blushed a deep red while Brooklyn just looked annoyed.
Kristen scrunched up her face and took a step back. “I’m sorry, I thought no one else was home.”
Parker rolled off of Brooklyn onto his feet. He straightened his shirt and looked at Brooklyn, who was just glaring at Kristen. “So you thought you’d sneak into my room while I wasn’t home? What were you planning to steal?” She demanded.
“Brooke,” Parker began, but Kristen cut him off.
“I don’t steal, unlike some other people in this house.” Kristen coughed once, raising her eye brows. “I thought no one was home, but I heard something so I came to see what it was. Turns out it was just a slut making out with a guy she’s known for a day. Who would have thought?” Kristen shrugged.
Brooklyn glared harder, her jaw clenching. “You’re just jealous because I got farther with him than you did in months.” Brooklyn snapped as she hopped off of her bed.
“Funny.” Kristen rolled her eyes and looked at Parker for a second. As soon as he met her eyes she looked back at Brooklyn. “Just stay out of my stuff okay? If you steal one more thing of mine I swear to God I’ll—”
“What? You’ll what?” Brooklyn demanded, her eye brows raised. “You’ll go run to mommy? Go ahead. It’s not like she’ll believe you. Isn’t it strange how she always believes me and not her own daughter?” She laughed.
Parker creased his forehead and swallowed uncomfortably.
“F*** you.” Kristen said through her teeth, turned and stomped up the stairs. She heard footsteps behind her and exhaled impatiently. Was Brooklyn seriously following her?
“Hey, Kristen, wait up.” Someone called as they pulled on her arm.
Kristen turned to see Parker. “What do you want Parker? Shouldn’t you be back there with your girlfriend?” Kristen demanded as a tear fell down her cheek. She exhaled in frustration and wiped the tear off her cheek.
“Are you okay? What was she talking about?” Parker demanded.
“Like you’d care! You’re dating the b****!” Kristen said through her teeth and began to walk away again. Parker caught her arm and pulled her to face him.
“What’s going on?”
“That girl,” Kristen cried, pointing back towards the basement guestroom. “Has tortured me my entire life. It started when we were kids. She did everything she could to make my life miserable, and even like ten years later she’s still at it! And whenever I tried to tell my mom, she never believed me. Not when I was eight, and not now.” Kristen explained with a helpless shrug. “She wins. She always does.”
Parker creased his forehead and looked back towards the stairs. “Is that what this is about?” He asked seriously.
“What?” Kristen wiped the tears off her cheeks.
“Is that why you’re dating Tucker Layton? To get back at Brooklyn? To get back at me?” He demanded.
“What does Tucker have to do with anything?” Kristen demanded.
“Just answer the question.”
“No. I’m dating Tucker because I want to. Not everything’s about you Parker.” Kristen said through her teeth.
“Kristen, you shouldn’t date him.” Parker said seriously.
“Why not?” Kristen threw her arms up in the air and let them fall against her thighs. “Are you the only one allowed to move on? You’re allowed to have a new girlfriend but I can’t have a new boyfriend? You just can’t stand to see me happy with someone other than you.” Kristen accused.
“It’s not that Kris. He’s a bad guy, and I don’t want to see you get hurt.” Parker’s face was honest and desperate.
Kristen’s heart throbbed. Why did he have to look like he still cared so much? Wasn’t he supposed to be over her? Couldn’t he at least have the decency to act like it?
“Oh, spare me. Don’t pretend to care.” Kristen swallowed uncomfortably, unable to meet Parker’s eyes. “Anyway, I’m really none of your business anymore. You don’t get to tell me who I can or can’t date. So why don’t you go back downstairs with your girlfriend and leave me the hell alone, Parker.” Kristen snapped as she lifted her chin higher in the air. “I don’t need a body guard, I don’t need a big brother, and I sure as hell don’t need you looking out for me.” Kristen added as she turned and started to head for the door.
“Don’t do this Kristen.” Parker called after her.
“Save it.” Kristen scoffed, throwing her middle finger over her shoulder.
If Parker could fool around and be over her with the snap of his fingers, then so could she. If Parker wanted to bang her evil cousin that she hated more than anyone in the world, then she didn’t care. They deserved each other.
Kristen ran up to her room, grabbed her purse, car keys, and jacket. There was a shiny new doorknob with a lock calling her name.

monikitty12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 14 at 10:28 pm:
This book really has to be published. You are literarry a born to be author. My works are average compared to yours!!!

Ccookiez said...
i love this book. i couldnt stop readin this. they had to turn off my wifi so i could stop. you need to write the rest

missreadalot said...
i just finished the first chapter and i have to say this is the most well written book ive seen on this sight  its so nice to see things from a cheaters point of view

Country_Storm_Inspired said...
Oh.my.GOODNESS!!! This is amazing! I stayed up until 12:30 reading it and I almost cried when I realized the end wasn't there!!!!! You have to have to have finish it!!!!!!! (:

GreenActress replied...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 5:08 pm :
Oh my gosh, thank you SO MUCH! I can't tell you how awesome it is that someone actually read it. I was worried no one would even bother after reading the summary or anything! Thanks so much!