Chasing Dreams - Part One

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Chapter Five

2009

Jason quit struggling as thoughts he hadn’t had in six years entered his mind. These thoughts brought memory after memory of both Jesse and Morgan. He began to weep lightly when the dreams of Jesse were smothered by the dreams of Morgan. He wept of happiness. Happiness that he now had the woman of his dreams.

Jason picked up the pipe and heard a door open behind him. Oh no, he thought, they heard. He quickly put his back against the wall in the darkness. He was invisible to them against the darkness, but only if he didn’t move.

“Did you let him out?” One man said.
“No, Ross, I didn’t.”

Jason held his breath as the men approached the corner of the room. Right when the men cocked their guns, an alarm began blaring, and they sprinted out of the room. Jason took the chance and walked out of the room. He looked left and then right. The men were nowhere to be found.

Now, where’s Morgan? He walked to his right and saw a door leading to the room Morgan was supposedly taken to. The door was locked with a keypad and a padlock. Is this the right room? Jason banged his fist against the steel door. No answer. Have they moved her? Jason kicked the door in anger. He quickly wished he had listened to his father when he told him how to get into the doors of this building.

2006
5 Days before the Wedding

Jason walked slowly behind his Father as they ascended the glass stairs to the middle section of the large building.

“This building has one thousand rooms, Jason. Each one with its own key pad lock system and a pad lock. The more secure rooms further upstairs are locked with a fifteen digit keypad lock system. Only four people have access to those rooms. Myself and my three brightest employees.” Jeff informed Jason.

Jason had tuned out his Father completely.
“Jase?”
Jason began bobbing his head to the beat of the music coming from the speakers in the building.
“Hello?!” His Father yelled, pushing his back slightly.
“What?”
“Did you hear anything I just said?”
“No, sorry.”
“Come on, Jase. If you want to work here, you have to pay attention.”
“Why can’t you, as the owner of the company just get me a job?” Jason drawled.
“Because, wise guy, I want you to actually do something for yourself. I’m not just going to give you a job without you putting forth some effort.”

Jason rolled his eyes and trudged up the remainder of the stairs to the fourth floor. He looked around and saw a long hallway that led to a single metal door. No other doors were in the hallway.

“That’s the secure wing; it leads to the fifth floor.”
“Great, so that’s where you keep the subjects locked up before you kill them after an experiment, right?” Jason joked.
“That’s not funny, Jason, what we do here is in a strictly professional manner.”

Jeff descended the stairs to the fourth floor, followed by Jason. Three men in black suits came up the stairs and greeted Jeff.

“Jason, meet Ross, Kyle, and Andy, my employees I mentioned earlier.”
“Huh?”
“Jason Cooper, it’s finally nice to meet you.” All three men said.
“Yeah, same…” Jason eyed them all closely.
“It’s about time you guys headed off to the second floor, isn’t it?” Jason suggested.
“Yes sir, we thought we would just say ‘hey’.”

The three men descended the clear stairs to the second floor and Jason watched as they disappeared through a door, which shut and locked behind him.
“Brightest employees?” Jason snickered.

“Yes they are. Is something funny?”
“No, Dad, I was just wondering.”
“Ok, let’s continue.”

Jason and his Father walked swiftly down to the first floor, where Jeff’s office was located.

2009

Jason gripped the pipe and walked out the door to his right to the main sector of the building. He quickly noticed he was on the second floor, where Ross, Kyle, and Andy primarily work. Where is Morgan? One thousand rooms, how am I supposed to find her?
“I guess I’ll start here,” Jason said to himself, as he walked back into the second floor section.
Jason’s knuckles were turning whiter the harder he gripped the pipe. His heart was racing. It was beating harder than he had ever felt before. He hated being separated from Morgan. It killed him inside.
He walked cautiously down the hallway, being careful to check the rooms as he went by as best he could. Although, his attempts to see all that was contained in each room were useless because he couldn’t get in any of them. He grunted as he used the pipe to try and break off the doorknob, but failed. He walked further down the hallway and noticed a paper lying on the floor. It read:
“Jason Cooper,
Come get Morgan. She is waiting for you. It’s so sad, how far you’ve come, you two are together and now you have to chase us to get her back. This is what you wanted, isn’t it?
-The Brights”

What I want?
Jason gritted his teeth, crumbled the note and threw it down in anger. They were mocking him. Yes, Jason wanted to chase Morgan to get her, but he hadn’t imagined this.
What kind of a game are they playing? Jason checked his pockets for his cell phone, but, of course, it was gone. Perfect, He thought, now what? He kicked another door in anger. He hated himself right now. How could he let this happen? Jason sat down to clear his head. How much time do I have?

Five minutes later, Jason was shrouded by darkness as the door next to him swung open, almost hitting him in the face. He watched as the Bright looked left, and then turned and walked further into the building’s depths.

As the door was closing, Jason grabbed the handle and quickly slinked into the room. The door closed and Jason was swallowed by darkness. Unable to see, he began fumbling for the light switch. Locating the switch, he flipped it on, and the room was immediately flooded by light. Three desks lined the room, each one stacked with piles of paper. Jason saw a door on the far end of the room.

He had to find out what the Brights were hiding in here. All of this had to do with him and Morgan somehow. But what? He kept moving forward. Flashbacks crowded his mind but he knew he had no time to stop and reflect. Not now at least.

Once in the room, Jason quickly noticed something was wrong. He looked to his left and saw a gorilla propped up against the west wall. It was dead. The Brights were killing animals after they ran tests on them. This is what they must be planning on doing to the human subjects as well, Jason thought.

Jason pressed forward further into the stench filled room to find a door that led into another room. They were all connected? He silently pushed the door open and was taken aback by a stench worse than the room before. He peered into the room to find two animals dead before him.

Although, something else caught his eye as he opened the door further. A wallet sized picture of him and Morgan was nailed to an altar. Flower petals were scattered on the floor.

This book has 54 comments. Post your own now!

PhoebepoetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I liked what the book was about but I thought you jumped around way to much.

crazygirl11 said...
Felt like i was there with them. Great details. Sounds like it could be real. Hope theres a second one

shariccie said...
i love this story! couldn't take my eyes of the pages! great job.

SabreEleven replied...
thank you so much!

Bookworm1998 said...
this was a really good story! great job!

SabreEleven replied...
thanks a bunchhh :)

shariccie said...
this sounds like a really interesting book. can't wait to read it!

xxinnocentxx said...
Aug. 28, 2011 at 2:14 am
yeay i finished :D lol it was really good. i liked it.....n u sed ther was a 2nd part rite??

SabreEleven replied...
yep! haha its tough but ill keep trying to write it...im still thinking of ideas to finish it up with haha

xinnocentx replied...
lol well i like it so keep it up :D

SabreEleven replied...
i shall! thanks a bunch!!

xxinnocentxx replied...
ur very welcome. i really enjoy your storied ^-^

SabreEleven replied...
thanks :) seriously u r one of the reasons i write haha thanks for the support and admiration :)

xinnocentx replied...
awwwww i feel so special.... and im glad i do.... hahah for my own selfish reasons of being entertained with your work. :) jk...well sort of.

SabreEleven replied...
hahaha kk :)

xxinnocentxx replied...
xD ummmm ..... how long have you been writing for? (did i ask b4?? if i did...i forgot)

SabreEleven replied...
it's been sooooo long since I've been on here! haha sorry i have been writing for almost four years :) wbu?

xxinnocentxx replied...
Oct. 26, 2011 at 9:57 am
hahahahha no need to apologize. Same thing with me hvnt been on for a long time.... and i just write when i feel like it. I was thinking about posting something .... from a while bakk... but  i noticed i couldnt find anything -________- soooo.... i shall wen i find it all hahahhaha. =] hope u been good. ^-^

SabreEleven replied...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:13 am
o ok cool! find it! i wanna read soething of yours! haha and yes i have...just busy with college stuff hahaha

xxinnocentxx replied...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 9:46 am
Tell me about it. i started college about 5 months ago and yes it takes up a lot of ur time =] so i kno.  What are you studying for?? lol ill try to find em. but theyr so.... childish. they were from a while bak. and i havnt really had time or any sort of insperation lately....so dont expect anything spectacular. =p