The Forgotten

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next »

Chapter 8 : The Forgotten

I was greeted by something I had not, even in my wildest nightmares imagined to be so disgusting. Something that would be rated R for gore and blood. Adrian was on the floor, mouth pressed firmly against bruised neck of the immobile form of a child, whom was resting between his legs, pressed against his front, almost peacefully. He was sucking the life out of a kid no older then seven. I wanted to protect the girl, tear him off her limp body, before it was too late and he drained her life. All I
(reposted edited chapter)
was capable of was let out a horrified scream, louder than anything I thought my vocal cords were able of producing. I then proceeded to faint, as per usual when I was around him. He seemed to have perfected his gift at knocking me unconscious on demand. My last coherent thought being close to “He's a vampire.”

Ouch. My head had doubled in size, in behalf of my head hitting the door on my way down. I felt considerably worse than the first time I woke up, in a small enclosed room a few weeks ago. And that's saying a lot.
I was now spread out on a black leather couch, with a damp wash cloth pressed against my swollen forehead. I wasn't sure what purpose it was meant to serve because it just felt moist and uncomfortable.
“You alright ?”
I looked up into blank white eyes and started to open my mouth, drawing in a sharp intake of deep breath. Before I could let out a sound he clasped his hand over my mouth and shushed me.
“Don't,” he warned.
I looked him over, as if seeing him properly for the first time. Is he a vampire ? He can't be, such things only exist in horror movies and bed time stories. Life isn't filled with creatures of the night. The earth isn't roamed by werewolves, fays, goblins and ogres. The night isn't ruled by blood sucking, soulless monsters.
“I deserve answers,” I say with force. I will not just sit around and wonder what is to happen to me in the next few days. And the situation I just witnessed needs a great big deal of explanation.
He sighs loudly, in defeat if I was to guess. He shrugs his broad shoulders and begins :
“You're right, you should know, but...” He stops mid sentence and gives me a warning look, “But what I am about to say won't please you. It's not what you want to hear.”
I look expectantly at him. If he thinks I am going to back off, he has another thing coming for him. And then he tells me everything that he'd been keeping to himself.
“It all started around the year 1214. A vampire named Ramona fell in love with a zombie, Fredrik II. Vampires have souls but if for some reason they lose it, they become zombies. A creature that has no feelings and after a few decades starts to decompose but never truly dies.
“They had a baby boy named Fredrik III. He then created a hybrid that was part zombie, part vampire, just like him. That person was known as Juliette. She was beautiful but also was rejected by all creatures of the night. She was different, unnatural and no matter her hardest efforts to prove she wasn't that different, she was always going to be considered an outcast.
“Juliette finally turned to Fredrik III. Together they decided to build their lives at each other's side. They found happiness and were content. They called themselves Forgotten. Being that they were the same race and both were outsiders, even werewolves and witches didn't like them. They later realized that two Forgotten couldn't mate. They could create a Forgotten, by transforming another being, but Juliette could not bare Fredrik's children.
“I am like them, Leah, I am that same creature. One of my parents is vampire, the other a zombie. I am a Forgotten.”
I was speechless. This was impossible. It was absurd even ! And yet, here I was. Face to face with one.
“So wait, two Forgotten can't have kids but a vampire and a zombie can, which makes a Forgotten ?” I ask. I wanted to get my facts straight.
“Yes.”
“What about human and vampire ?” He shakes his head.
“Human and zombie ?” Again he shakes his head.
“Vampire and a Forgotten ?”
“No,” he replies.
“Zombie and a Forgotten ?” Again he explained it wasn't possible.
Alright, so only a vampire and a zombie, or a vampire without a soul, whatever you wished to call it, could have a baby. And a Forgotten women, and a Forgotten man couldn't. Only create one.
“How do you create a Forgotten ?” I found myself to be intrigued. This was a curious world I was meddling in.
He shrugs, “You bite a human. Same as a vampire, you undergo a transform.”
I gasp, “So if you bite me, I'll become a Forgotten, like you ?”
A look of guilt crossed his face.
“Uh, I kind of already did... At the bus stop,” he confesses.
My eyes widen in shock, my mouth suddenly feels very dry. I am just about sure that my heart stops beating.
“I'm still human, my eyes aren't white,” I contest. “It must have failed, thank the heavens.”
“That comes later. The eyes are only a detail, when you've completed the change.”
He studies me, making sure I don't pass out again, “I'm sorry.”
Why ? Why had Adrian chosen me ? I was a nobody. He could have picked anyone, absolutely anyone in the world. Yet, thanks to my rotten luck I was the one doomed to be a creature of the night. There was only one plausible solution. I had to end my life before it was too late.
“I want to know more about Forgotten people.” I had to find a weakness I could use to my advantage.
“We are immortal. We can eat and sleep. As for physical stuff, we are stronger than vampires. We also have great hearing and acute night vision. Our skin and eyes are white from the zombie genes.We bite humans to transform them using our fangs, from our vampire genes.”
I sigh, this is a lot to take in.
“Do you drink blood daily ?” I could not imagine myself as a blood sucking leech.
“Only after we transform someone, we need to regain our strength.”
“How long does it take to become a … – like you ?”
His smile is bittersweet, lased with sadness and maybe a hint of regret. “Well, we both know that you are much stronger than before and your skin is getting paler each day. I made sure Demitier was looking after you. I wasn't sure how smoothly everything would go. You are the first human I have ever bitten. I would say in about a few more days. The process is finished once you wake from a deep coma. Only then will all of your human cells have died.”
I look at my hands, at how pale my skin is, just like he said. “Why me ?”
To that question Adrian laughs. “Isn't it obvious, Leah ? Why would I do anything for a human girl – young lady, sorry. I forget how touchy mortals can be when it comes to age.
“Because you are the only one I want to spend eternity with. You are my soulmate and I have been searching for you, for a very long time.”
With that he got up and started for the door.
“Wait, where are you going ?” I inquired, after having processed his previous words.
“Leah, you need your rest. Sleep well,” he turned back, closing the door behind him.
As blackness swallowed me up, I shed a single tear, then let it all go.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2 at 11:39 pm:
The Forgotten Comment Just to tell you in advance, I write my comments while I read so you can get a better feel of my emotions. I apologize sincerely because this will make a REALLY long comment. So here we go. Ch 1 - I love the title of the chapter. First chap. in the book, and BAM it's already the end. Cool effect. I like the repetitiveness in the things she says. "What a rhetorical question, if I'm *here telling you this." Also, you misused "faith." I believe it should be "fate." I really l... (more »)

GhostBeamThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17 at 7:10 pm:
Amazing!!!!!!

just-another-url replied...
Mar. 21 at 4:26 pm :
Thanks for reading !

SmileyFace3356 said...
This is amazing, every girl wants a bad boy who's good just for her!  Btw, does anyone know how to bookmark cuz I am definitely bookmarking this!

just-another-url replied...
Mar. 21 at 4:32 pm :
Thanks :) I'm not sure how you can bookmark it, I think you can click a link somewhere requesting to receive an email when I publish new chapters (hope that helps).

IamMeForeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
More more more!!!

Mermaidmissy said...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:35 am:
Ahh I so love this book it is very good and heartwarming all at the same time. I think you should keep writing more pages soon. Hey can you look at my stuff and see what you like I have poems and one book on this web site so check it out if you have a chance k. Thank You!! :) 

EbbaRose said...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 1:08 am:
Good story! And great character voice, i love it!!! can't wait to read more!

Nikiblue said...

I thought the storyline was good and suspenseful. I do have some critics though. I know that a lot of people have already mentioned the spelling errors, and also the weird arrows in the text. Secondly, I feel that a lot of the writing was a little choppy and too quick from one thing to the next. I think more emotion and details should be put in so it feels more as though the reader is there seeing it all for themselves, if that makes any sense?

Hopefully I wasn't just rep... (more »)

Drive_it_home_with_one_headlight said...
I like this a lot. The paragraphing is weird, though. It threw me off a little bit, as well as the arrows instead of the ". Is there any significance to the arrows?

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
Sorry about that, I just recently bought an American mac so the sighs changed from the arrows to ". In french we don't have " on the keyboard. Same for the paragraphes. In France books aren't presented the same way. Sorry if it caused any confusion. 

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm :
* signes.  

AspiringWriter said...

I love the plot; it's very unique. The summary immediately intrigued me. I'd hate to say this again, but you do have a few grammatical errors. It's nothing too big, and it definitely doesn't take away from your story. :)

Hmm. What else? I think that you should try adding more descriptions and emotions. Not too much. Just a little. It'll make the story more vivid, if you know what I mean.

Great work! :)

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm :
Thanks !! I will try adding more description and emotions in my next chapters, I have a hard time with that sort of stuff;) Again thank you for reading !

mrs. mom said...
as a mom, i love this story - age appropriate but exciting, fun,sensual,etc.-it's great knowing that there are those who like to write something other than "texts" - i just wonder if this writer's nightmares are as interesting - please continue

renthead96 said...

This is an interesting story. I enjoyed the relationship you created between vampire and zombie--I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that yet. However, there are various spelling/grammar mistakes. You can always have someone else review your chapters to help check for these mistakes: a parent, a sibling, a relative, etc. Just to help with this, I've selected a few common mistakes that you've made to show what you should look for:

"He is aloud to take a break, I'm not angry with Him."more »)

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Thanks Renthead96. The next few chapters are going to be back and forth between Adrian and Darik's view, so you will get more information about the whole vampire and zombie relationship. As for the mistakes, thank you :) Keep posted for more. :) and thanks again for checking this out. It means alot to me !

tealbird said...
Ok, I'm sorry to say I only had time to read the first chapter of your novel, but I really enjoyed it. I love the tone of the writing, especially the 'big man Upstairs' part :D. Trust me, you had me captivated and I'll be back to read the rest!

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm :
thanks so much :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this story. You do need to revise a few things though. You have a few comma splices--joining two sentences together. Also, I would advise expanding a bit more on the emotional side of your character. Sometimes, she doesn't seem as freaked out as I would have thought. But the story itself is pretty interesting; I can't wait until you post some more. I want to know more about the characters! And I love the whole spin you put on vampires and zombies! Very well done overall! :)