The Forgotten

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next »

Chapter 4 : A Call

I drifted in and out of sleep, as if my mind couldn’t decide if it wanted me unconscious or not. I finally did dose off a few hours later and dreamt vividly.

* * *

“Wake up hon, you're late for school. Again.”
Yeah mom...
“Baby...”, the owner of the voice shook my shoulder.
I pulled my pillow over my head.
“Leah Mortel, so help me God, I will not break the law speeding to get you there on time. Now get up !”
As if you ever
(reposting edited chapter)
drive under the speed limit, Mom.

This was a daily routine in the Mortel household. Each morning, every single day, threats of icy water buckets and “I'm leaving without you” comments were made.
A moment later, my shutters were wide open and blinding sunlight came flooding into my childhood room.
I swung my legs over the bed, eyes still shut tight from the previous hostile action, and when I finally opened them I sat, looking around my room. I examined my powder blue walls and yellow lace curtains that did absolutely nothing to help shield me from the offensive sun. My two windows looked out into the back yard, one was obstructed by the old oak tree that had been there since the house was built, in the late nineteen hundreds. My wood floor, with various clothing items scattered around. I liked how all the furniture pieces didn't match. All made in the same material but in different shades from white to dark brown. The alarm clock on my night stand beeped rudely, interrupting my daze. I leaned over and silenced the vulgar object. It didn't stop emitting the distracting sound.

* * *
An alarm wakes me up. No, it's a telephone. Mine ! I sit up quickly, my head spinning from my hasty movement, and am disoriented for a moment before I remember where I am. It was my cell that was vibrating in my pocket. I hadn't even thought about using it. Adrian seemed to have forgotten to take it away, a big mistake coming from the hands of a criminal. I was still alone, so took a chance and answered, not bothering to check the caller ID. From the sharp intake of breath I could already tell it was my brother, Darik.
“Help !” I whisper in my most pressing and urgent tone.
“Leah ? Where the hell are you ? Mom and Dad are going crazy. They called the police,” I had never heard him so worried.
It takes all my strength not to burst into tears again, “He kidnapped me. I don't know where I am. Save me, send help, please, Darik ! Help..” I trail off, my mind can't seem to deal with reality anymore. I'm shaking so badly, the phone almost slips out of my clammy fingers.
“Calm down. Leah, tell me what happened.” His voice is soothing but doesn't clear up the panic.
I explain everything, how the bus was late, how he said he was new to the area, his eyes (at this point I think Darik is doubting my sanity but, he doesn't interrupt). I tell him everything I can think of that might help. Help how though ? Because I have no freaking clue as to where I am.
“I'm scared, Darik.”
He doesn't answer at first. He's a good guy, my brother. Not great when it comes to handling this kind of stuff however. Not kidnapping in particular, just your average stressful situation. I still remember a few years back, our cat Lucifer ran away. Darik went crazy, ran around our block, shouting the poor beast's name until it grew dark. The neighbors told my parents that if they didn't shut him up they would call the cops. We never did find Lucifer in the end. So I can only imagine the degree of angst he fells at this instant.
“I'm going to call the officer in charge of your file, they can trace your phone. They'll find you, I'm sure they will, they have to...” he rambles.
“I Love you and tell Mom and Dad tha-” Darik cuts me off.
“Sis, you are not going to die, I'll find you. It's not time for goodbyes.”
That was Darik, loving, strong, an emotional snow ball, with dozens of feelings mashed into one.
“I won't let that freak touch you. He won't hurt you, I swear.” Brave words, “And if- when I find this loony, I'm going to beat the crap out of him.”
“You are such a -” but I couldn't finish because the next second, Adrian was standing next to me, as if he'd appeared out of fine air. How much had he heard ?
“What in the world ?” He didn't even have to finish his thought. He knew perfectly well what was going on. He grabbed my phone but not before I screamed into the receiver. My last warning to my sibling.
He crushed my cell in his hand, like a knife through butter and I swear, I could see flames in his empty eyes.
“Who. Was. That.” he pronounced each word as if it was painful, and it felt like I was being repeatedly stabbed.
“My brother and the police will be here soon too. I would run if I were you,” I said with all the confidence I could muster up.
He laughed coldly, “I doubt that very seriously.”
I flinched at his matter a fact tone of voice. I couldn't just stand there saying nothing, so out of all the things I could say, I chose the first that came to mind.
“If you did this for money, sorry to disappoint you but I come from a middle class family. We don't roll on dough exactly.”
He doesn't answer and I am overcome by this horrible feeling, deep in my gut, that he didn't kidnap me for money.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2 at 11:39 pm:
The Forgotten Comment Just to tell you in advance, I write my comments while I read so you can get a better feel of my emotions. I apologize sincerely because this will make a REALLY long comment. So here we go. Ch 1 - I love the title of the chapter. First chap. in the book, and BAM it's already the end. Cool effect. I like the repetitiveness in the things she says. "What a rhetorical question, if I'm *here telling you this." Also, you misused "faith." I believe it should be "fate." I really l... (more »)

GhostBeamThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17 at 7:10 pm:
Amazing!!!!!!

just-another-urlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 21 at 4:26 pm :
Thanks for reading !

SmileyFace3356 said...
This is amazing, every girl wants a bad boy who's good just for her!  Btw, does anyone know how to bookmark cuz I am definitely bookmarking this!

Mar. 21 at 4:32 pm :
Thanks :) I'm not sure how you can bookmark it, I think you can click a link somewhere requesting to receive an email when I publish new chapters (hope that helps).

IamMeForeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
More more more!!!

Mermaidmissy said...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:35 am:
Ahh I so love this book it is very good and heartwarming all at the same time. I think you should keep writing more pages soon. Hey can you look at my stuff and see what you like I have poems and one book on this web site so check it out if you have a chance k. Thank You!! :) 

EbbaRose said...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 1:08 am:
Good story! And great character voice, i love it!!! can't wait to read more!

Nikiblue said...

I thought the storyline was good and suspenseful. I do have some critics though. I know that a lot of people have already mentioned the spelling errors, and also the weird arrows in the text. Secondly, I feel that a lot of the writing was a little choppy and too quick from one thing to the next. I think more emotion and details should be put in so it feels more as though the reader is there seeing it all for themselves, if that makes any sense?

Hopefully I wasn't just rep... (more »)

Drive_it_home_with_one_headlight said...
I like this a lot. The paragraphing is weird, though. It threw me off a little bit, as well as the arrows instead of the ". Is there any significance to the arrows?

RockGirl182This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
Sorry about that, I just recently bought an American mac so the sighs changed from the arrows to ". In french we don't have " on the keyboard. Same for the paragraphes. In France books aren't presented the same way. Sorry if it caused any confusion. 

Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm :
* signes.  

AspiringWriter said...

I love the plot; it's very unique. The summary immediately intrigued me. I'd hate to say this again, but you do have a few grammatical errors. It's nothing too big, and it definitely doesn't take away from your story. :)

Hmm. What else? I think that you should try adding more descriptions and emotions. Not too much. Just a little. It'll make the story more vivid, if you know what I mean.

Great work! :)

Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm :
Thanks !! I will try adding more description and emotions in my next chapters, I have a hard time with that sort of stuff;) Again thank you for reading !

mrs. mom said...
as a mom, i love this story - age appropriate but exciting, fun,sensual,etc.-it's great knowing that there are those who like to write something other than "texts" - i just wonder if this writer's nightmares are as interesting - please continue

renthead96 said...

This is an interesting story. I enjoyed the relationship you created between vampire and zombie--I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that yet. However, there are various spelling/grammar mistakes. You can always have someone else review your chapters to help check for these mistakes: a parent, a sibling, a relative, etc. Just to help with this, I've selected a few common mistakes that you've made to show what you should look for:

"He is aloud to take a break, I'm not angry with Him."more »)

Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Thanks Renthead96. The next few chapters are going to be back and forth between Adrian and Darik's view, so you will get more information about the whole vampire and zombie relationship. As for the mistakes, thank you :) Keep posted for more. :) and thanks again for checking this out. It means alot to me !

tealbird said...
Ok, I'm sorry to say I only had time to read the first chapter of your novel, but I really enjoyed it. I love the tone of the writing, especially the 'big man Upstairs' part :D. Trust me, you had me captivated and I'll be back to read the rest!

Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm :
thanks so much :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this story. You do need to revise a few things though. You have a few comma splices--joining two sentences together. Also, I would advise expanding a bit more on the emotional side of your character. Sometimes, she doesn't seem as freaked out as I would have thought. But the story itself is pretty interesting; I can't wait until you post some more. I want to know more about the characters! And I love the whole spin you put on vampires and zombies! Very well done overall! :)