The Forgotten

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Next »

Chapter 10 : The Beginning

My eyes flutter open. It fells like it's been an eternity since sunlight has greeted me. I notice how uncomfortable I am. My clothes are dirty, my skin and hair desperately need a wash. My mouth is like sandpaper and my body is painful to the touch. What else is new, huh ?
Once my eyes are adapted to the light I take in my surroundings. My head is tilted at an uncomfortable angle and I cannot feel my legs, that have grown to numb from my immobility. Something is cutting into my waist and my
(reposted edited chapter)
arms are folded around the ugliest yellow bag, maybe the ugliest of the ugly, the worst since the dawn of yellow bags.
I look around and see trees flying by, already drifting away the second we pass them. The lights of a big city are still visible, far behind us, and mountains surround us.
It only takes a second to realize that I'm in a car. And cars have mirrors. Have I changed ? Am I a monster now ? I can't look. I dare myself to keep my eyes fixed on the breathtaking sights of nature and friendly deer lurking between the trees. They won't judge me whether I'm a Forgotten or still a human being, with a beating heart and a soul to keep. But my soul can't be saved anymore, can it. No matter how hard I try, I am a goner for sure. I died already, I am dead to God. I will never be a part of humanity. My life as Leah Mortel is over. Finished. It's almost ironic, Mortel, when I am no longer mortal, but immortal. Maybe I should change my name. No, bad idea. Changing anything else would mean embracing the new me. I am not that person. Nor will I ever be.
That's when it hits ! Mom and Dad, Darik... They will never know the truth. Because they believe that I was kidnapped. Well, I was but for all the wrong reasons. Adrian wants me to be his forever young looking bride, parter, girlfriend, something rather unholy let's say.
Don't get me wrong, sex doesn't repulse me but I was raised in a Catholic family, I went to church every Sunday until High School when it became uncool to go pray on weekends.
One of the most important lessons I learnt at Sunday School was about consent. How, in life, men don't want to marry in holy matrimony a woman who is not pure. That pressuring someone into a physical relationship is unacceptable, and if continuing to do so after the other has said “no” is a sin, and a federal crime. I must say, it saved me more than a few times from doing something I would have regretted later on. And I won't bend that rule I've imposed on myself for some freak, even if it kills me. Hell, I'm already dead. Death a second time can't do much harm. He might even achieve to end this torment. It looks like a rather bright path from were I'm standing. And if you were wondering, I am currently standing at Hell's front gate.
“Sleeping beauty finally awakes.”
That voice, the one that freezes me, chills me to the bone, frightens me to death (I have to stop using that pun – it's killing me), that one voice that brings nightmares along for the ride. It's his. But at the moment, I feel the opposite. It somehow sounds like bells, honey in warm milk, a soft fire, rain drops soothing you to sleep, Mozart, laughter. His voice warms me from the inside and brings butterflies to my stomach.
I turn to face him. Adrian, my soulmate, my one true love. Wait, back up ! What am I thinking ? I shake my head clear of that foggy stuff and whatever it's doing to my brain.
“How do you feel ?”
I trust my voice to work properly, not start blabbing out sonnets or something.
“Dizzy.” Great of all the insults and comebacks, I choose a lame adjective. Especially after our last meeting in his study, where I found out what he was and what I was becoming, and he took the opportunity to confessed his undying love for me.
“That's normal. And may I state that you look beautiful this evening.”
I blush, no matter how hard I try, his words effect me. His words seem to stick somewhere in my throat, next to my heart. The one that doesn't beat because of him.
He said it's evening, but how could it be. How can he tell ? To me, it's morning. The setting sun and vibrant blue horizon are marvelous. A shade I've never seen before, one words cannot describe.
I remember his flattering comment and being well brought up, thank him. Then we drive for hours, not a word is exchanged. When the sky changes from midnight black to dark blue I know dawn is approaching. I'm not the least bit sleepy though. Do Forgotten need to sleep ? We stop for gas, I could run but I feel safe with Adrian. I am as strong as he is now, so why should I fear him ? Instead, I head to the unoccupied restroom. After I wash my hands I can't stand it anymore. I cautiously glance into the mirror and shriek. My brown eyes, the ones I'd always hated for their blandness are white, like Adrian's. My own skin makes me crawl. It's to pale, I look like an Albinos. My brown hair that's had a washed out look to it since I was kidnapped is shinny and straight again. No more curls or waves. I look skinnier too and in the name of all that's holy ! My breast are larger. I look like a bra model for some popular brand. I turn from my reflection and take a step backwards, I don't even make it that far. For a strong Forgotten, my legs can't even hold up my weight. I scream, I cry, I shout out for Darik. Didn't he promise to save me ? Where is he ?
I hear approaching footsteps after a while. And I begin to hope it's him. Adrian bursts in and takes in the wrecked sight also known as me. He doesn't ask a single question, just pulls me into his strong arms. I realize that I wasn't calling for my brother but for him.
“Promise to never leave me again,” he never even left. Doesn't matter.
Adrian's white eyes meet my own, I hold on to his gaze until tears start streaming again. I need to know, hear him say the words.
“I swear it Leah.”
And with that he picks me up and carries me to his car. He is gentle with me, like a father claiming back his little girl after her first break up, persuading her to give up on guys for a few more years, so she learns more about life and gets to profit. As we hit the road once again a song is blasted through the stereo. I turn it up even louder, until I can feel the bass vibrate in my bones. I drown my painful thoughts in the music. I'm not ready to face my demons, not just yet. I will one day, but for now I have Adrian as a shield.
“Such a beautiful song,” he says.
Yes it is. Almost as beautiful as him. I shut my eyes, tuning myself to the beat instead of my new life. It's the first time I feel so connected to a rhythm, this song is the first I get to experience as a Forgotten. It's strange because I know it, as a human I had listened to it often. I even sang it sometimes. So to hear it from another perspective is like discovering it all over again. It's a song about new beginnings, and tragic ends, about hope, about life's ups and downs... It has a new meaning to me.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2 at 11:39 pm:
The Forgotten Comment Just to tell you in advance, I write my comments while I read so you can get a better feel of my emotions. I apologize sincerely because this will make a REALLY long comment. So here we go. Ch 1 - I love the title of the chapter. First chap. in the book, and BAM it's already the end. Cool effect. I like the repetitiveness in the things she says. "What a rhetorical question, if I'm *here telling you this." Also, you misused "faith." I believe it should be "fate." I really l... (more »)

GhostBeamThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17 at 7:10 pm:
Amazing!!!!!!

just-another-url replied...
Mar. 21 at 4:26 pm :
Thanks for reading !

SmileyFace3356 said...
This is amazing, every girl wants a bad boy who's good just for her!  Btw, does anyone know how to bookmark cuz I am definitely bookmarking this!

just-another-url replied...
Mar. 21 at 4:32 pm :
Thanks :) I'm not sure how you can bookmark it, I think you can click a link somewhere requesting to receive an email when I publish new chapters (hope that helps).

IamMeForeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
More more more!!!

Mermaidmissy said...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:35 am:
Ahh I so love this book it is very good and heartwarming all at the same time. I think you should keep writing more pages soon. Hey can you look at my stuff and see what you like I have poems and one book on this web site so check it out if you have a chance k. Thank You!! :) 

EbbaRose said...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 1:08 am:
Good story! And great character voice, i love it!!! can't wait to read more!

Nikiblue said...

I thought the storyline was good and suspenseful. I do have some critics though. I know that a lot of people have already mentioned the spelling errors, and also the weird arrows in the text. Secondly, I feel that a lot of the writing was a little choppy and too quick from one thing to the next. I think more emotion and details should be put in so it feels more as though the reader is there seeing it all for themselves, if that makes any sense?

Hopefully I wasn't just rep... (more »)

Drive_it_home_with_one_headlight said...
I like this a lot. The paragraphing is weird, though. It threw me off a little bit, as well as the arrows instead of the ". Is there any significance to the arrows?

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
Sorry about that, I just recently bought an American mac so the sighs changed from the arrows to ". In french we don't have " on the keyboard. Same for the paragraphes. In France books aren't presented the same way. Sorry if it caused any confusion. 

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm :
* signes.  

AspiringWriter said...

I love the plot; it's very unique. The summary immediately intrigued me. I'd hate to say this again, but you do have a few grammatical errors. It's nothing too big, and it definitely doesn't take away from your story. :)

Hmm. What else? I think that you should try adding more descriptions and emotions. Not too much. Just a little. It'll make the story more vivid, if you know what I mean.

Great work! :)

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm :
Thanks !! I will try adding more description and emotions in my next chapters, I have a hard time with that sort of stuff;) Again thank you for reading !

mrs. mom said...
as a mom, i love this story - age appropriate but exciting, fun,sensual,etc.-it's great knowing that there are those who like to write something other than "texts" - i just wonder if this writer's nightmares are as interesting - please continue

renthead96 said...

This is an interesting story. I enjoyed the relationship you created between vampire and zombie--I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that yet. However, there are various spelling/grammar mistakes. You can always have someone else review your chapters to help check for these mistakes: a parent, a sibling, a relative, etc. Just to help with this, I've selected a few common mistakes that you've made to show what you should look for:

"He is aloud to take a break, I'm not angry with Him."more »)

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Thanks Renthead96. The next few chapters are going to be back and forth between Adrian and Darik's view, so you will get more information about the whole vampire and zombie relationship. As for the mistakes, thank you :) Keep posted for more. :) and thanks again for checking this out. It means alot to me !

tealbird said...
Ok, I'm sorry to say I only had time to read the first chapter of your novel, but I really enjoyed it. I love the tone of the writing, especially the 'big man Upstairs' part :D. Trust me, you had me captivated and I'll be back to read the rest!

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm :
thanks so much :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this story. You do need to revise a few things though. You have a few comma splices--joining two sentences together. Also, I would advise expanding a bit more on the emotional side of your character. Sometimes, she doesn't seem as freaked out as I would have thought. But the story itself is pretty interesting; I can't wait until you post some more. I want to know more about the characters! And I love the whole spin you put on vampires and zombies! Very well done overall! :)