The Forgotten

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next »

Chapter 1 : The End

''Bye, see you later Mom !”
Those were the last words I ever spoke to her. My real last words were “Please no, ple-”
I remember that it was raining that day. A Sunday, if I recall correctly. After all, I do have the right to forget, and I'm good at it. I can forget painful, sad memories. I do this for many reasons. I have that divine right to do so. I've earned it.
I died that day, just another boring Sunday, the Man Upstairs' day off. I guess that's why I died. He wasn't
(Reposting all chapters, because I have finally gotten around to editing.)
checking in on me. He was taking a well deserved break. I'm not angry with Him. If I had to look out for every single person on earth, I would also like some time to myself. Anyway, I'm the one who walked out that door, not Him. I willingly ran down the path way in our front yard, running late as per usual. I'm the one who looked both ways before crossing the street. I'm the one, or more, I was the one. It was under my own free will. I could have stayed in bed that day. I could have slept in, instead of seeing my friends. The night before, I could have turned my alarm off, feeling a sudden surge of laziness. I could have canceled my date with my girlfriends. I could have, I could have, I could have... But I didn't, did I ? Obviously not. What a rhetorical question, if I'm hear telling you this.
I never had a very interesting life. Never did anything special, never went anywhere worth mentioning. I didn't want to be famous or anything. I enjoyed blending in, I was particularly good at it. I had my closest friends, good parents, a cool brother. I wasn't rich or poor. I lived in a nice house. A house filled with lovely memories. It was the same one that I grew up in. I didn't have bad grades but I wasn't a straight A student. I did some stupid stuff in my time, but not often as I disliked drawing attention to myself. I wasn't beautiful either. My features were basic : straight, long brown hair, brown eyes. I had nice teeth, thanks to years of painful braces and night retainers. I didn't have extremely large curves, or a model like figure. I was just Leah Mortel. Your well behaved, average, girl next door. I guess it was faith. I was destined to be there that day, at that specific moment. Even if I hadn't, it wouldn't have changed much. He'd still have found me eventually.

As I waited for the bus, I listened to my mp3 player. I liked music tremendously. I often disagreed with my brother's taste, which lead to us fighting for control of the radio station. As the song died down, I felt my cell vibrate in my jean pocket. A text from Aly. Aly has been one of my best friends since as long as I can remember.

From Aly :
To Leah :
9:17 am

Where are you ? Lola, Missy and I are in the food court. Hurry up !

I wrote back, smiling at her impatients.

From Leah :
To Aly :
9:18 am

Sorry bus is late :( Be there soon !

I hit send, checked my watch growing impatient. Pushing a strand of hair behind my ear, I pulled my black sweat-shirt down. Then, standing about twenty feet away, I saw him.
I'd grown up in this town, so I knew most of the kids, but I had never seen this boy. No, he wasn't a boy, too adult looking. But he wasn't a man either. He caught me staring at him. I quickly looked down at my gray sneakers, my cheeks flushing in embarrassed. I could hear him approach and when I dared a glance, there he was. Wow. I'd never been interested in any of the guys I knew, never had a real crush. Ok, maybe one or two but those didn't count. And I might not have drooled all over him but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find him extremely, if not out of this world, attractive.
I couldn't see his eyes, as he wore black tinted sun glasses, although it was raining softly and any sign of the sun was nonexistent.
“Hello,” he said in a voice just as beautiful as his face.
I stared. My throat seemed to have shrunk because I couldn't utter a single word.
“Are you alone ?” he asked, and once again I couldn't find my voice. So instead, I opted for a brief nod, afraid that if I didn't respond he'd think I was slow (which I wasn't).
“My name is Adrian,” he offered with a smile. What ? No ! Don't smile you beautiful idiot or I'll surely go into shock.
I cleared my throat and lamely answered, “I'm Leah. Hi.”
His laugh was music to my ears. He proceeded to explain that he was new to town, and now lived with his uncle... or something. My brain didn't seem to be functioning properly. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my bus and waved my hand, signaling that I wanted it to stop. Suddenly, Adrian grabbed my wrist. I pulled, trying to release it from his strong, borderline painful, grip.
“Please ! Could you let go, my bus is here. We can hang out later if you want,” pointing out the approaching vehicle with my free hand in case he hadn't noticed. That's when he pulled off his glasses and stared directly at me. His eyes were empty, just completely white. And I mean just white, the color of snow or chalk. My first reflex was to scream, followed by a vain attempt to wiggle my wrist from his hold. His other hand grabbed at my throat, I guess trying to stop the sounds from coming out. I was chocking. The air caught in my lungs made me have a cough fit. My eyes started to roll back as my brain grew foggy from lack of oxygen. The last words I muttered were, “Please, no, ple-...”

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2 at 11:39 pm:
The Forgotten Comment Just to tell you in advance, I write my comments while I read so you can get a better feel of my emotions. I apologize sincerely because this will make a REALLY long comment. So here we go. Ch 1 - I love the title of the chapter. First chap. in the book, and BAM it's already the end. Cool effect. I like the repetitiveness in the things she says. "What a rhetorical question, if I'm *here telling you this." Also, you misused "faith." I believe it should be "fate." I really l... (more »)

GhostBeamThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17 at 7:10 pm:
Amazing!!!!!!

just-another-url replied...
Mar. 21 at 4:26 pm :
Thanks for reading !

SmileyFace3356 said...
This is amazing, every girl wants a bad boy who's good just for her!  Btw, does anyone know how to bookmark cuz I am definitely bookmarking this!

just-another-url replied...
Mar. 21 at 4:32 pm :
Thanks :) I'm not sure how you can bookmark it, I think you can click a link somewhere requesting to receive an email when I publish new chapters (hope that helps).

IamMeForeverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
More more more!!!

Mermaidmissy said...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 9:35 am:
Ahh I so love this book it is very good and heartwarming all at the same time. I think you should keep writing more pages soon. Hey can you look at my stuff and see what you like I have poems and one book on this web site so check it out if you have a chance k. Thank You!! :) 

EbbaRose said...
Oct. 5, 2011 at 1:08 am:
Good story! And great character voice, i love it!!! can't wait to read more!

Nikiblue said...

I thought the storyline was good and suspenseful. I do have some critics though. I know that a lot of people have already mentioned the spelling errors, and also the weird arrows in the text. Secondly, I feel that a lot of the writing was a little choppy and too quick from one thing to the next. I think more emotion and details should be put in so it feels more as though the reader is there seeing it all for themselves, if that makes any sense?

Hopefully I wasn't just rep... (more »)

Drive_it_home_with_one_headlight said...
I like this a lot. The paragraphing is weird, though. It threw me off a little bit, as well as the arrows instead of the ". Is there any significance to the arrows?

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm :
Sorry about that, I just recently bought an American mac so the sighs changed from the arrows to ". In french we don't have " on the keyboard. Same for the paragraphes. In France books aren't presented the same way. Sorry if it caused any confusion. 

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm :
* signes.  

AspiringWriter said...

I love the plot; it's very unique. The summary immediately intrigued me. I'd hate to say this again, but you do have a few grammatical errors. It's nothing too big, and it definitely doesn't take away from your story. :)

Hmm. What else? I think that you should try adding more descriptions and emotions. Not too much. Just a little. It'll make the story more vivid, if you know what I mean.

Great work! :)

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm :
Thanks !! I will try adding more description and emotions in my next chapters, I have a hard time with that sort of stuff;) Again thank you for reading !

mrs. mom said...
as a mom, i love this story - age appropriate but exciting, fun,sensual,etc.-it's great knowing that there are those who like to write something other than "texts" - i just wonder if this writer's nightmares are as interesting - please continue

renthead96 said...

This is an interesting story. I enjoyed the relationship you created between vampire and zombie--I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that yet. However, there are various spelling/grammar mistakes. You can always have someone else review your chapters to help check for these mistakes: a parent, a sibling, a relative, etc. Just to help with this, I've selected a few common mistakes that you've made to show what you should look for:

"He is aloud to take a break, I'm not angry with Him."more »)

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
Thanks Renthead96. The next few chapters are going to be back and forth between Adrian and Darik's view, so you will get more information about the whole vampire and zombie relationship. As for the mistakes, thank you :) Keep posted for more. :) and thanks again for checking this out. It means alot to me !

tealbird said...
Ok, I'm sorry to say I only had time to read the first chapter of your novel, but I really enjoyed it. I love the tone of the writing, especially the 'big man Upstairs' part :D. Trust me, you had me captivated and I'll be back to read the rest!

RockGirl182 replied...
Aug. 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm :
thanks so much :)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this story. You do need to revise a few things though. You have a few comma splices--joining two sentences together. Also, I would advise expanding a bit more on the emotional side of your character. Sometimes, she doesn't seem as freaked out as I would have thought. But the story itself is pretty interesting; I can't wait until you post some more. I want to know more about the characters! And I love the whole spin you put on vampires and zombies! Very well done overall! :)