Matchmaker's Mansion

Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^
Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 31 Next »

Matchmaker's Mansion: Ch. 4

“It’s so good to see you again,” Shaun clapped his hands together, a short lock of his gelled bangs bouncing over his forehead.

“Yes, well,” Asha shifted on the white chair. Her heart was battling with her mind, arguing whether she should leave or stay.

“Oh, and look at the results of your last quiz. They’re excellent! Oooo….except for the last boy…but that wasn’t your fault.” Shaun’s eyes roved over the papers he held in his hands. He shuffled a
Can you guess who is who by their kiss? Thanks for reading- I adore you for it!
few. “And you said at the end of your last session that you wanted all three of the boys back today. I hope you’re excited.” He slid a paper across the desk towards her and handed her a pen, which she took.

A single line sat in the middle of the white paper. “I grant any of the partners assigned to me permission to kiss me.”

A shocked Asha looked up at Shaun with wide eyes.

“We have to warn you ahead of time. Some people don’t like to be kissed without notice.” He smiled warmly.

“Oh,” Asha said, not being able to find anything else to say. She swore she was cursed with a tongue-tied disease whenever she stepped into Matchmaker’s Mansion.

She read the sentence one more time and signed on the line beneath it.

“Very good, I’ll lead you to your room then,” Shaun said, quickly putting her signed paper in a business folder.

Through the curtained door they went, weaving in and out of brick-walled corridors that smelled of wet stone until they stopped at a door with a golden sun engraved into its woodwork.

“This,” Shaun said as he pushed the door open, “is the Sun Room.” A wave of fragrances poured out of the room.

Asha gasped at the sight of the floor-length windows and the flowers so bountiful they were nearly spilling out of their flowerbeds. On little raised islands of marble, the flowers sparkled with dew drops in the rich dirt.

“Wow, it’s so beautiful! This place looks like it could be in Heaven,” she twirled in the sunlight streaming through the windows, looking up at the ceiling painted blue with puffy white clouds.

“Yes, it does seem that way,” Shaun said as she bent over to smell a patch of red roses. “But we have a quiz to complete and only so much time to complete it. Please take a seat on this bench.” He pointed with his entire hand at a stone lover’s bench. Its rock surface was warm from the sun and the heat soaked into her cold legs when she sat down on it.

“Now don’t be alarmed. I have to blindfold you,” he produced a long white clock from his suit pocket.

“But why?” she said as he tied it behind her head, unintentionally catching a few of her brown hairs in the knot. The flowers vanished from her view, only seeing the cloth.

“Because the results of this quiz will only be determined correctly if you have not met or seen your three partners.”

Asha sighed. “When will I ever get to finally see them?”

“Patience, miss. It will be soon enough. Can you see my hand?”

“Only a faint shadow,” she said.

“Very good. I’ll send them in soon. Expect three kisses, one from each. Afterwards we’ll collect information on your feelings toward each one. I’ll be leaving now.” She heard his shoes clap on the polished stone as he walked over to the door. The door opened and shut with a thud and once again she was alone. But not for long.

She stiffened at the sound of a soft patter on the floor and a shadow darkened in the blindfold over her eyes. His presence was nearly overwhelming. She could feel the way he held his rigid back, his body resonating with power.

Slowly, he leaned forward, pausing a few inches away. His minty breath caressed her skin, which had formed goosebumps from his closeness. Her heart beat rapidly, almost near ready to explode.

Leaning forward just a little, her lips met his. His lips were soft against hers, becoming gentler as he deepened the kiss. His kisses were so light as though he were afraid that if he kissed her too hard that she would shatter. Asha’s mind buzzed with electricity, but slowly he pulled away, his gentle warmth receding into the shadows. His only remnant was a minty smell that hung in the air.

Asha was left feeling confused. He had been willing yet withdrawn at the same time.

Before she even had time to recover from the last kiss, a pair of lips aggressively pressed against her’s, then softened. He pulled away a little, then when he went back for more, teasing her by flicking his tongue over the edge of her bottom lip. Asha’s heart did a flip, wishing she could rip off her blindfold and jump into his arms. But the kiss slowed and he ended it with a soft kiss to the corner of her mouth.

She smiled once he had completely pulled away, relishing the sweetness that lingered on her lips and brain. Little sparks bounced up her arms and she shivered them away.

Pausing, she felt a new presence in the room, a dark and mysterious mood. It neared and connected with her when his finger turned her chin up. His lips descended, lightly touching her’s, and then pounced, nearly devouring her lips.

Asha never thought someone could tell who “the one” was through a kiss, but as his soft lips moved over her’s…she felt like they were two opposite magnets locked together by a powerful force. Fireworks exploded in her head, making her feel as light as a cloud. And she literally found herself floating upward—rising from her seat to push deeper into the kiss. They didn’t miss a beat as she stood up on her tiptoes, his chest warm beneath her hands. Their hearts thumped a million times per second, lips working in perfect synchronization.

All of a sudden, when the kiss was nearly at its climax, he broke away, leaving her breathless and in slight shock. She stood there, missing his hard chest under her hands and his passionate kiss. Standing all alone she couldn’t handle the mystery any longer, she ripped off the blindfold to find herself alone in the Sun Room, the dying sun hovering above the horizon through the window.

She slowly licked her lips, the pressure still fresh on them along with the taste of strawberries. Sighing deeply, she wondered which of the three boys he was. She would find him somehow…

*******

Asha absentmindedly swirled her dish towel over the dripping plate.

“Asha, are you alright?” her mom looked over at her with an alarmed expression. “You’ve been drying that same plate for the past few minutes and it still isn’t dry.”

Asha snapped out of her daydream to realize what she was doing. She laughed guiltily, “Sorry, mom.” She put the dish down and took a new one from the drying rack. “Mom?”

“Yes?” she said as she leaned over the sink, stray locks of her brown hair hanging over her tired face.

“How did you know that dad was truly “the one?” Asha tilted her head.

“Well,” her mom said, pulling off her rubber gloves and laying them on the edge of the sink. “I’m not really sure there was a certain moment…it was more like an instinct.” She handed Asha another wet plate. “But there was that one thing that sealed it all, like everything just clicked.”

“What was it?” Asha leaned forward, ready to absorb her every word.

“A kiss,” her mom smiled, gazing out the kitchen window into the night. “And he wasn’t even a good kisser,” she laughed lightly, but her eyes were misty.

Asha quickly put down the plate and enveloped her mom in a tight hug. “I miss him, too, mom. But he’ll be back soon. Right after he gets enough money and finds a job closer to us.” She squeezed her mom a little tighter.

This book has 306 comments. Post your own now!

Drummer_GirlEmiiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 18 at 10:41 pm
Sigh.... I kind of wish she had gone for Shay instead. He is like, my dream man.

Sep. 17 at 6:47 pm
This is beautiful. I often look for something new to read, and am so grateful for this. (: its amazing!

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sep. 19 at 6:17 pm
Thank you so much, especially for mentioning me as one of your favorites on your "About Me" section. You made me smile today! :)

imagonner said...
May 18 at 7:23 pm
@MoonBaby @Hope_Princess @PoeticInsanity @Dajai @BlackRedwood @readingislife @readingislife @kvtmarie @BeautyWhispers @caskettluvr @totalbooknerd11 hey all, pls com check out my first novel, I know you will love it.... pls comment and ill comment on your work. by the way, @Hope_Princess I loveeeeeeee this, you are perfection and beyond

MoonBaby said...
May 17 at 3:36 pm
This was amazing. You should write a second one.

May 17 at 6:11 pm
Thank you for the vote of confidence in my writing! I would love to write a second one, hence the cliffhanger. I'll start thinking/writing. :)

MoonBaby replied...
May 18 at 3:08 pm
That would be awesome. I can't wait.

AmberleafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 10 at 12:58 pm
Maybe Shay could find someone to love in the next one? I loved how he found a little girl... Shay is awesome; he's my favorite character.

Aug. 10 at 6:26 pm
That is a possibility ;)

PoeticInsanityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 7 at 8:30 pm
Oh my God I still remember I read it 2 years ago. Wow. My Life completely changed during that time. This story is beyond beautiful. It will always remain close to my heart

Mar. 8 at 2:59 pm
I hope your life changed for the better, but even if not I'm happy this story reminds you of a past time in your life. :)

PoeticInsanityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 8 at 6:29 pm
Well I have grown to become a strong believer in fate. I guess everything does happen for better. Your story gave me a lot of hope and good memories. :) Thank you

Dajai said...
Feb. 16 at 2:56 pm
This story was really good! I enjoyed the detailed characters and great plot.

BlackRedwoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
So beautiful, I love how the author revealed who had kissed her in that special way. With fingers under her chin, so perfect!!!!! :)

booksrbae said...
Aug. 15, 2015 at 3:26 am
gaah, where do i even begin, i freaking love this book!!! its so amazing, a sinister twist on a fairytale is such a great idea! i absolutely love every bit of it except the ending killed me, like it should have been shay T_T. u woudnt be considering an alternate ending for team shay would you? just kidding, just kidding, i guess i've accepted the ending by now (i finished reading it a while back). honestly if anyone were to continue fighting against shane, shay is just the logical choice, a dark... (more »)

I have to say...your comment inspired me so much! I haven't written since I ended this book. I really appreciate your "justification" of my book; it means someone actually saw what I saw. ^_^ I left it open like that, juuuuuuust in case I wanted to write a sequel. ;-) Keep writing, and reading, and being you!

readingislife replied...
to be honest, im really excited that you replied! i think its awesome that i saw it from your point of view! and i would so read a sequel, if your planning one, im already down for reading it xD. that actually sounds like a great idea, but dont worry, no pressure xD. As for your last sentence, thanks so much and right back at you!

kvtmarie said...
DUDE I STARTED READING THIS 2 YEARS AGO AND NEVER FOUND IT AGAIN AFTER OIKE 15 CHAPTERS AND NOW I FOUND IT OMF YAY

BeautyWhispers said...
Very good! Keep it up.

caskettluvr said...
Omg!!!!!!!! A-freakin-mazing!!!!! I loved it!!!!!!!