Matchmaker's Mansion

Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^
Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next »

Matchmaker's Mansion: Ch. 3

“So…you’re name is Chase?” she nearly whispered instead of answering his proposal question.

“Sure is—what’s your’s?” Chase asked back.

“Asha.”

“Aa-shuh, Ash-uuuuh,” he tried to pronounce her name in different ways, putting the emphasis in a different place every time. But his final pronunciation of her name was entirely emphasized, “AAASHHHUUHH!” he said dramatically in a deep booming voice like he was announcing her on stage.

Asha giggled, feeling her heart beat a little faster every time he said her name.

“It’s very pretty, just like your voice,” Chase said sweetly. The compliments seemed to just roll off his tongue, and she couldn’t imagine him saying anything mean ever with his smooth tenor voice.

“Hey, Asha, can you see me?”

“No, all I see is a mirror. Can you see me?” Asha said, looking all around for a camera.

“I can kinda see you…are you sitting on a chair and wearing a black winter coat?” Chase spoke slowly as though he were trying to focus on something and wasn’t sure if he was correct or not.

“Yes, how did you know?” Asha’s voice rose with excitement. Perhaps she would get to see him after all today.

“Can you walk forward? If you can…come to the mirror.”

Asha obeyed, walking straight up to the mirror. But the only thing that looked back at her was her boring brown eyes.

“So close, yet so far away,” Chase’s sad voice floated through her headphones. “Could you please put your hand out and touch the mirror?”

Asha reached out and placed her left palm on the mirror. On the other side of the mirror Chase had his hand against the mirror, right over her hand. “Gah!” Chase exclaimed, “Our first touch. Oh gosh, I’m blushing.”

Asha laughed at his silliness and Chase joined in, sounding adorable. Chase suddenly stopped laughing, and so did Asha, wondering what was wrong. “Oh, Asha, I have to go now. Your next dude is coming in soon, and you can’t fall in love with him. After all, I saw you first.”

“Ok,” Asha nodded, though she doubted he could see it very well.

“And, Asha?”

“Yes?”

“You’ll like me no matter what I look like, right?” Chase’s voice rose with concern.

“Of course I will. It’s what’s on the inside that counts,” Asha tried to comfort him with her soft tone.

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

“You better come back, ok? I’ll be really angry and depressed if you don’t,” and with that last sentence he was gone. Asha squinted her eyes, but it didn’t help any, she couldn’t see through to the other side.

Asha waited in silence, wondering how long it would be until the next “dude” arrived.

“Hello, Asha. I’m very pleased to make your acquaintance,” a deep harmonious voice, one that would be used for advertizing a romantic honeymoon resort, spoke into her headphones.

“Oh, hello…” Asha said hesitantly, not quite sure what to make of the new person. Chase’s energy still tickled at her brain.

“I have to say that when I read your answers to the Matchmaker’s Quiz, I thought, ‘Why has a pure white rose come here?’ Honestly, your answers were average, sometimes boring, but perhaps over time your true colors will show. After all, white is composed of all the colors.”

“Uh…I didn’t know that,” Asha fiddled with the silver buttons on her jacket as her heart sank.

“I’m sorry if I’ve made you uneasy,” his voice softened.

“It’s all right. We’re both learning,” Asha offered a weak smile to the mirror.

“Do you still wish to know my name, or will I not be seeing you again? My first impressions are always terrible,” his voice was thick with emotion and her heart caught in her throat from the way his voice gently flowed into her ears.

“I still wish to see you,” Asha said, then quickly hurried to say, “In my eyes your colors are all black—unknown—and I too want to know your true colors.”

She heard his deep chuckle and wondered if he was laughing at her.

“The name is Everett, but please…call me Ever. And thank you for your kindness to this poor soul.”

“No problem, Ever,” she smiled for real this time.

“I must go now, but I’ll look forward to your return,” Ever said.

“Bye, Ever.”

“See you soon, white rose.”

Asha blushed, feeling his deep voice brush against her heart.

Once he was completely gone, several minutes passed. Worried, Asha tapped her foot against the marble floor in a steady rhythm.

She couldn’t take the silence any longer. “Hello? Hello?” she said into the mic. It echoed in her headphones. “Heellooo, hello,” she said in a singsong voice.

She flinched at a hissing voice that responded faintly, “Talk to the girl.” Then silence. “Talk to her now.” There was the sound of a chair toppling over and a few grunts of pain. “Say something and then we’ll go,” the hissing voice said again.

She heard the faint sound of heavy breathing, then a raspy voice spoke, “Don’t come back…ever.”

Asha cringed, taking in a deep breath of scentless air.

“I’m sorry, miss,” a man’s voice said. “Your session is going to be a little short than planned. I’ll be right over to take you back to the front room. Again, I’m sorry for the trouble.”

Asha didn’t respond—that one sentence that the third boy had said still rang through her mind.

Don’t come back…ever.

She was in a daze for the rest of the evening, only remembering being led out of the room to the front room. Vaguely, she remembered writing down “yes” on a paper, but she couldn’t recall what the question on the paper had been.

That night, lying in bed with the cover’s wrapped tight around her, the same sentence rang through her head.

Don’t come back…

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 5:04 pm:
WHat happened to Chase? Is he alright? Hope that he will get better. Why does Shay dislike Asha, will he be the one that she chooses? What did he mean when he said, ' you have yet to inderstand how love can hurt a person.' Please write more!!??

FallenAngel1 replied...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm :
Your welcome and i am your #1 FAN!!! I will be waiting patiently for more. Keep me posted. :-)

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 3:36 pm :
GUESS WHAT! More is up. ^_^ I hope you like it. Thanks for all your support.

alpal1621 said...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 8:01 pm:
Hey! I just read Matchmakers Mansion! Have you added on yet?! I want to read moreeeee!!!!

Jun. 21, 2011 at 3:55 pm :

LOL!

Actually, you just read what more I had added on recently.

But I'll get right on it and add moreeee!!

I'm so happy you like it! Thanks for the comment!

BrownEyedGirl said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm:

continue please!

Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:56 am :
Will do! I'll let you know when it's up. Though it takes forever to be approved. Guess I'll upload a HUGE chunk. ^_^

distant_dreamer17 said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm:
EeeP!! That is sooo good! Was it the the Shaun?

Jun. 17, 2011 at 3:37 pm :
LOL! Thanks so much, bestie! I luv ya!!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm:
I think that so far its very good. When you finish the book and edit it, you should have it published. its interesting and very original. You should be pround of yourself, keep it up! :-) :-)

Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm :

Aww! Thanks so much.

I would absolutely love to get it published....but it's a very short book. I don't know if anyone would read something so short. Maybe.

Thank you- you make me feel proud! And I don't even know where the idea came from. ^_^

FallenAngel1 replied...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm :
Well i would be the first to buy it as soon as it came out on the shelves. I enjoy reading books that are original, because if you read enough books and look deep enough, a lot of them are somewhat similar. So if you published your book then i would buy it. Keep it up Hope_Princess!! :-) :-) 

Jun. 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm :

Aww! Thank you SO much. I would give you a signed copy for free- LOL!

I wish I could say that my story is original, but as you read you'll find that haf of it is and half of it isn't. Hope I don't disappoint you. :-(

Thanks again! And guess what- I uploaded a lot of chapters!

FallenAngel1 replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:58 pm :
Great, i can't wait to read the rest. I doubt that you'll disappoint. Keep on writing and i hope that you write more. :-) I wrote more too on the second one, Trapt.

thesoulwriter said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm:
Soo good. i was very impressed with the colorful language. i just wish i knew who was who :( so sad

Jun. 12, 2011 at 1:15 pm :

Thank you so much! And I'm so happy that I impressed you. It's rare that that happens. ^_^

Everything will be revealed in time...thanks for reading!

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm:
This is really good, its very descriptive. No, i could not know which one it was because of the kiss but i think that the last one was the one that didn't want to talk to her when she first arrived at the mansion. This is very good, please keep it up.

Jun. 12, 2011 at 1:14 pm :

Thank you so much for the encouraging comment. ^_^

It's great to know you're enjoying it. I'll be sure to let you know when more is up.

FallenAngel1 said...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm:
This is really good, it has a great hook. I mean a 17 year old girl goes to a matchmaker to find true love, that's a new one. It's very interesting so far. Could you read some of my work? You don't have to. It's mediocre or i think it is. But i would like another write to read it. But please keep it up, i am anxious to see what happens to Asha and who that third potential match is.   :-) :-) 

Jun. 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm :
Thanks so much! I'll be sure to post the next chapter soon...and I'll post a comment on one of your works too! I'm sure it's not mediocre. Everyone has a unique style that makes it their own. :-)

AnonymousOne said...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm:
This is really good!!! the plot is really different, and the characters are really amusing. Keep it up! Read some of my stuff when it comes out?