Matchmaker's Mansion

Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^
Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next »

Matchmaker's Mansion: Ch. 1

The sign swung back and forth in the chill wind with a squeaking noise like it hadn’t been oiled for years. Once it had slowed to a gentle back and forth motion, she read the faded gold letters on the wood background.

MATCHMAKER’S MANSION- the elegant letters spelled out on the sign. Hesitantly, she looked to the door that it hung over.

Perhaps this wasn’t a good idea. Asha shuffled in place, glancing at the door again. Yes, I am mad at my ex-boyfriend but is that reason enough to enter the creepy-looking place? The windows were covered with dust so that she couldn’t see through and the mint-colored paint was peeling off the front door in long strips.
NO! I have to prove him wrong- prove to him that I am capable of reeling in someone other than him. I don’t need him anymore, and I can find someone 500 times better.
With her courage boosted by her self-lecture, she strode over to the door and turned the door handle. She expected a huge creak like the sign over the door, but instead the door didn’t make a sound. It opened easily into a room dimly lit by a myriad of small candles strategically placed so that the entire room glowed. The scent of roses tickled her nose, the room perfectly warm compared to the biting cold of outside.

As she unwound her scarf from around her neck to let herself breathe better, she spotted a white velvet chair sitting before a desk. At the desk sat a man in an extravagant red wine suit that looked like it belonged in the Victorian era along with the white chair.

“Come right in, miss, wouldn’t want you to catch cold on this blustery morning,” he said in a pleasant tone, but all she could think was- Who talks like that nowadays? –and- I like his accent.

The door was already closed, so she took a few steps forward. He motioned her to come closer with a waving hand and she obeyed. She lowered her thawed-out self into the white chair, feeling like she was dirtying it by sitting on it.

“Well, since this is the Matchmaker’s Mansion, I can presume what you are here for. You’ve come for a match…correct me if I’m wrong,” he leaned forward on his elbows. The candlelight bounced off of his gelled hair, making it extremely shiny.

“You are 100% correct, sir,” she smiled despite the fact that her heart was shivering with uneasiness.

“Right then, I suppose you’d like to fill out a form then. Here are the papers,” he dropped a stack of papers in front of her on the desk that made her mouth gape wide open. “Once you’re done— ring the bell. Our master matchmakers will go through every one of your answers and I will notify you in letter form when we have found the choice few that will most likely be your match. From there the fun begins.” He rubbed his hands together. “Now if you’ll excuse me,” he rose from his chair and before a single word could escape her mouth—he was gone.

She looked down at the stack of papers, having the sick feeling that a schoolgirl gets looking at her homework. Might as well get started. She pulled a feather pen from the marble cup on the desk and read the first line:

Would you be willing to die for the person you loved?

IMloved said...
you need to write more pretty please im begging you!!! im sooooo hooked!

springdance said...
Hey Melissa! I love it!I just read all the recent chapters and decided you need to write more. :) Hope you're not overloaded with homework! -Sarah

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 6:15 pm :

Hey! Thanks so much for taking the time to read it!

And trust me- I AM overloaded with homework/projects plus work and basketball practice.

I'll try my best to write more and contact you. :-)

CrazyWriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I'm starting to believe that this is unfair......... both on accounts of characters and on the account of not posting this fast enough....

More more! I must know the truth! :) keep it up

~CraZYWrITeR~

Nov. 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm :

I totally agree with you! *writes mental note to self: 'get with the program!'*

I've been hitting writer's block on and off. I want my chapters to be really good, but I keep thinking they're horrible. So...I haven't been writing lately.

I will try my best! Thanks for reading!!

IMloved said...
Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:43 am:
you need to write more and you need to write it noW!!!!

Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm :

Yes, ma'am! :-D

And I did...so I hope you're please with it.

Thanks for commenting.

Jeera said...
This is amazing! I soooo want you to post more! Can't wait :)

Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm :
I've put more up! Enjoy- and thanks for sticking through my writer's block. :-D

YourLoved14 said...
I couldn't stop reading!!! Pplleeaassee post more! I have to know how this ends!

Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm :

I hope you like the new chapters I put up!

Thanks for commenting. It's a joy to hear from my readers. <3

i_am_nobody said...
Oct. 22, 2011 at 12:13 am:
next chapter please?!

Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:22 pm :

Yes...I guess I will. More chapters have been added.

Heehee! Thanks for saying "please"!

Country_Storm_Inspired said...
Oct. 9, 2011 at 12:19 am:
DEFINATELY POST MORE! i'm hooked!!(:

Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm :

Thank you so much for your comment. I feel so loved.

I've "definitely posted more." Enjoy!

em&m said...
Love the Sam Tsui reference Sam rocks!! BTW post more your story is awesome.

IMperfect said...
OMG YOU NEEEEED TO WRITE MORE!!!!

Nov. 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm :
If you would like to keep reading my story- I've put more up. I hope you like it!

livethelifeyouwanttolive said...
You are an AMAZING writer. I forgot this was written by another teen. I am LOVING this book. It's amazing. <333

Sept. 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm :

LOL! Thanks so much- it's fun to hear the same thing from two different people. It kind of cements things.

And thank you so much for loving my book- it makes me feel appreciated!

p.s.- I love your username.