Matchmaker's Mansion

Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^
Author's note: Hope you enjoy! If you want to read the next chapter just post me a comment and I will. ^_^  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next »

Matchmaker's Mansion: Ch. 1

The sign swung back and forth in the chill wind with a squeaking noise like it hadn’t been oiled for years. Once it had slowed to a gentle back and forth motion, she read the faded gold letters on the wood background.

MATCHMAKER’S MANSION- the elegant letters spelled out on the sign. Hesitantly, she looked to the door that it hung over.

Perhaps this wasn’t a good idea. Asha shuffled in place, glancing at the door again. Yes, I am mad at my ex-boyfriend but is that reason enough to enter the creepy-looking place? The windows were covered with dust so that she couldn’t see through and the mint-colored paint was peeling off the front door in long strips.
NO! I have to prove him wrong- prove to him that I am capable of reeling in someone other than him. I don’t need him anymore, and I can find someone 500 times better.
With her courage boosted by her self-lecture, she strode over to the door and turned the door handle. She expected a huge creak like the sign over the door, but instead the door didn’t make a sound. It opened easily into a room dimly lit by a myriad of small candles strategically placed so that the entire room glowed. The scent of roses tickled her nose, the room perfectly warm compared to the biting cold of outside.

As she unwound her scarf from around her neck to let herself breathe better, she spotted a white velvet chair sitting before a desk. At the desk sat a man in an extravagant red wine suit that looked like it belonged in the Victorian era along with the white chair.

“Come right in, miss, wouldn’t want you to catch cold on this blustery morning,” he said in a pleasant tone, but all she could think was- Who talks like that nowadays? –and- I like his accent.

The door was already closed, so she took a few steps forward. He motioned her to come closer with a waving hand and she obeyed. She lowered her thawed-out self into the white chair, feeling like she was dirtying it by sitting on it.

“Well, since this is the Matchmaker’s Mansion, I can presume what you are here for. You’ve come for a match…correct me if I’m wrong,” he leaned forward on his elbows. The candlelight bounced off of his gelled hair, making it extremely shiny.

“You are 100% correct, sir,” she smiled despite the fact that her heart was shivering with uneasiness.

“Right then, I suppose you’d like to fill out a form then. Here are the papers,” he dropped a stack of papers in front of her on the desk that made her mouth gape wide open. “Once you’re done— ring the bell. Our master matchmakers will go through every one of your answers and I will notify you in letter form when we have found the choice few that will most likely be your match. From there the fun begins.” He rubbed his hands together. “Now if you’ll excuse me,” he rose from his chair and before a single word could escape her mouth—he was gone.

She looked down at the stack of papers, having the sick feeling that a schoolgirl gets looking at her homework. Might as well get started. She pulled a feather pen from the marble cup on the desk and read the first line:

Would you be willing to die for the person you loved?
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next »

This book has 301 comments. Post your own now!

nemish23 said...

thought i'd add the 100th comment!

also, i can't wait to read more...

asha is so cute, i <3 her!

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...

Muffin crumbs!! I didn't realize how many comments there were. Congrats on getting the 100th one!

Thanks so much. It's great to hear from you. :-) I rarely get a comment about Asha either; it's usually about the boys. So glad you like her! <3

SilverSun said...
Apr. 2, 2012 at 8:33 am
LOVE IT! I've been reading since November or December or something, so can't wait for more! Beautiful job!

Thank you so much! I love hearing that people have been sticking through my long bouts of no writing.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. I can assure you that they'll be more soon. :-)

SilverSun replied...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:16 am
Yay!! I'll be watching for more!!

smiley66 said...
I'm a new member to teenink and your book was the first book i read. SO.... please write more :) you're such an amazing author!

I feel so honored! (And WELCOME to Teenink!! I hope you have lots of fun here and grow a lot in your writing.)

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I promise to keep writing more. :-)

See ya around!

CrazyWriter said...

A-ha! my timing is impecable! I log back onto my account just as you post another outstanding chappie! I must confess author of Match MakersMAnison I was afraid you forgot about lil'ol Teenink and that little voice that says "Updat,Update!" But Behold! I am proven wrong.

the story has progressed so much , andboth it and the writing style i believe have grown. 

Keeping us always on cliff hanger aren't you? (well, i'd like to do that too..)   Im quite interested in ... (more »)

I'm so thankful for readers like you. :-D

You're awesome and thank you so much for your compliments. Sometimes I feel like I absolutely stink at writing, but all of my reader's comments help me to keep going. :-)

Sometimes I take too much time, and wish that time wasn't so valuable.

Please keep reading!

nemish23 said...
your book is awesome!!! i love it!!! keep writing... i want to read more!!! i <3 asha, she's so cute! :)

cut-out-ur-eyes said...
awww chapter 21 is cute =3

kimberdawn said...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 7:20 am
Oh my gosh! I love this story! Please write more!!!!!! I can't wait to know what comes next. 

Starlightdark said...
I really like this story so far. please do keep writing!

KittyKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 11:58 am
I'll be waiting for chapter 21... 22... or as many as you post> you have an amazing talent

It's here! The chapter you've been waiting for! Thank you so much for reading. :-D

Feb. 29, 2012 at 11:56 am
i would think she picks shay... I would too. but what if there was a major twist and She picked Ever! Like she wanted the one who tried to get her to pick the pther too. that'd be weird

BluBirdWriter13 said...
please write more i want you to write more its amazing i will be waiting for chapter 21

Thank you so much for reading and the encouragement. I hope you enjoy the new chapter!

Woahalliee said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:05 am
You must write more!! PRONTO!

Yes ma'am. I've written more- ENJOY!

alliejae said...
Please write more!! Chapter 20 was the most recent right?? keep going i love it sooo much