*Wish* | Teen Ink

*Wish*

By LittleMidnight PLATINUM, glendale, Arizona
LittleMidnight PLATINUM, Glendale, Arizona

Life is but a book just waiting to be filled, you make your own story

Author's note: I wrote this book thinking of things any might wish to happen. Although that's just in my mind of course. It would be fun to become a queen, one can only hope. Anyway, this is only of my favorite that I'm writing right now I hope you enjoy it!

The Princess walked through the woods searching. He had to be near their secret place was where they both always went when they wanted to see each other. She found him in the small garden behind the tiny home.
“There you are Gray; I’ve been looking for you everywhere.” Midnight stopped short when she noticed that her dear friend’s cheeks were stained with tears. “Oh dear,” she whispered and she rushed over to him.

Gray looked up at her, and his tears started anew.

“Did they bully you again?” He heisted before nodding. She felt a harsh growl come from deep within her throat. “If only I had my full powers I would turn them all to mush.”

Gray sniffed and wiped his dripping nose with the back of his hand. After wiping his hand on his pants he took Midnight’s hand in his, “please don’t speak like that. It’s my fault for being the son of a whore.”

She only glared at him. “No, it’s not your fault and that shouldn’t be an excuse to abuse a child anyway.”

He smiled weakly, “you’re a child too, you know. You really shouldn’t forget that.”

She sighed, “Fine, then I won’t speak of murder but only if you promise you’ll come home with me. Siren is probably looking for me, and you know how she gets. She seems to love you to death and you could charm her”

He stared down at the dirty gown she wore, “well she has reason to worry. A lady should not be playing as a boy would” he blushed slightly “and she treats me no better then she treats you.”

She snorted and waved her hand dismissing the issue “no matter. And it is not as if I will really become queen one day no matter what some prophet may say.” And she hoped to never be a queen with so many grueling duties either. It was her older sister, Juliet, who was to become the next queen of Selene and of this very plain that they lived in. But a fortnight ago, a prophet foretold of the youngest daughter of the late queen taking over and becoming the sole savior of the whole kingdom. Her sister and her lover would help her defeat the evil that meant to take over. She looked at her dear Gray and frowned. She did not really like the idea of being with another if it was not him. She didn’t know why, but I just didn’t seem right.

Gray looked up at her and, as if thinking of the same thing, asked “if you are to have a lover, then does that mean you won’t be able to talk to me or be with me anymore?” He looked to be on the verge of crying again.

She gave him a sweet smile, “Oh Gray that could never happen.” And she wouldn’t let it, she thought to herself. “We’ll always be together I promise.” She hugged him, “plus I don’t think I would even want anyone as a lover.”

“Could I be your lover,” he asked, blushing.

Midnight only chuckled and then a marvel idea popped into her head. “How ‘bout this,” she pulled out a knife that her father had given her for seventh birthday. She always carried it everywhere she went. It was to her a precious treasure. “Kneel before me, my love.” She said, and chuckled at the phrase. He knelt down eagerly and nervously, trusting her fully. She knew the ritual for a couple that would bind them forever and would join their souls so that they could never take another. Her father had taken her to many weddings due to the fact that royalty must be present. The rituals had always intrigued her, and now she would perform it on her own. She made a small cut in the center of both of her palms. Then she reached for his in a silent demand. He heisted before complying. When both were cut, she intertwined both their fingers together their blood blending.

She looked deeply into his gray eyes so much like his name. She smiled, “Copy what I say ok,” he nodded and she closed her eyes, tilting her face to the full moon, their goddess, Selene’s blessing spreading throughout her.

I wish I may I wish I might have the wish I wish tonight
Upon this moon so old yet new
I pray upon my soul to you
May this love become one with me
My soul and life from two to one
A love as endless and deep as the blue sea

Midnight felt a part of her soul torn away and replaced with an unfamiliar but comforting presence. She slowly peeked open her eyes. Gray’s were full of wonder.

“Tis done now.” she said just as her father would at the end of every ritual. She smiled at him, joy filling her, “Now we will be together forever. A part of me for you and you for me.”

Suddenly he kissed her. She felt the soft and unpracticed press of his lips against hers. She had only ever kissed her father and that was on his cheek. She slowly closed her eyes and kissed back.

Both came up for air, and stared into each other’s eyes. They shared a secret smile beneath their goddess’ moon that stood full in its entire splendor.

In sync the both stated, “Forever together.”

*
*
*
*

“Wake Mindy, you need to wake up.” Midnight sat and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

She looked up with blurry sight to see her father’s large frame. “Father, what is wrong.” She asked drowsy.

“I don’t have time to explain, they are coming and you must hurry.” As her eyes adjusted she noticed that in his arms lay a child that looked the same age as her. Her eyes widened and she reached out. “Don’t touch her. She is gone and has joined our goddess, and she will be your decoy. They cannot take over this kingdom as long as you are alive. Your mother’s magic made sure of that. I just pray to Selene that they do not know that just yet.” He laid the too still girl next to her and made a grab for her. Midnight shrunk back, confusion and fear written plainly on her face. “Love, you must leave, hurry. I will not lose you too.” He grabbed her in his arms. In the corner, her pet panther, Alice, strode toward them, her coat gleaming from the full moon outside the window. “Come Alice I have a big job for you.”

Her Father rushed into the hall with her in his arms and ran down the corridor toward the door to the tower she had been forbidden to ever enter. He bounded up the stairs two at a time, Alice close at his heels him. When they reached the top he put her down so that he could open the door. He ushered her into the room. The whole room was illuminated with candles, the walls bare. The candles led the way to the only furniture a mirror as tall and wide as her father. She stood there dazed not quite yet understanding what was happening.

“Father what’s going on? What has happened?” From out the single window that the room had the clank of metal meeting metal floated up. There must be a battle going on. Her heart started to race at realization “Father, where is my sister? Where is Juliet?”

Pain and misery flashed across his face, but was quickly replaced with a determination that scared the little girl. “You must leave this plain. Gabriel, the leader of warlocks is coming to get you.” He paused before saying, head down, “Your sister killed herself to stop him from getting to her too.” A tear ran down his cheek, “You must leave so that her death was not in vain.”

She only stood there shocked. Her sister, her dearest older sister was gone. No! This was a nightmare, “I can die too so that he won’t get me, I want to join my sister.” She tried to reach for her knife she kept folded in her gown.

Her father stopped her and took the knife, “No you mustn’t. You are the last heir the thrown. If you were to die, your mother’s final spell will break and the kingdom will fall into chaos. You need to stay safe.” He started to drag her to the mirror. “This mirror will send you somewhere safe, where no one will know who you are.” He gazed down at her sadly, “and you must also forget who you are.”

Before she could say a word, his hand passed over her face, and she couldn’t think of what she was going to say. She looked around dazed. She didn’t know where she was or who she was. What was she doing why did she feel sad. She looked to the man who stood inform of her. Who was he?

“Your name is Inez Showalter, and you are only an orphan with no known family.” The strange man hugged her tight. She felt wetness against her neck. Was this man crying? Why? Was something wrong? Why did she feel like crying also? “I will always love you my precious daughter.” Those were the last words that she heard before there was nothing.

Charles stared down at his unconscious child. She would be the last hope for their kingdom, and she would live. He turned to the panther and waved his hand, magic spilling over the cat. Suddenly there was a little girl in front of him. She looked surprised, but said nothing as she stared up at him with wide, curious eyes.

“Alice, you will forget what you are as well. When Midnight turns thirty, you will begin to remember this night so that you will know what needs to be done. She will be brought back here, and become our queen. Till then I will hold off war between warlocks and Fairies that is sure to start with her absence. You will keep your human form only if you keep my daughter safe. If she is to die, you will change back and never come here again. You will feel compelled to keep her safe always.” The girl nodded in understatement.

He handed Midnight over to her, and she took her with little effort. “Once you have stepped through this portal you will not remember anything. The portal will take you to where you need to be.” He kissed his daughters forehead. “Take good care of her. Gabriel will not be able to find her too soon. Let us hope it will be too late for him to act. Her powers are sealed, a shield placed upon her that only I can release. May Selene be with you both.”

Alice stepped through the portal and was gone.

Long after they had passed through the mirror, he just stared at it. His little girl would grow to never know him till it was too late. The sounds of boots on the stair warned him of danger. He uttered a quick spell that sent the mirror to a place no one would know to find it.

When the door was busted open his only thought was to his deceased wife, and soul mate. Let us hope that we have done all that we can my love.

*
*
*
*

Through the newly made bond, Gray knew that she was no longer on the same plain as him. At least that meant she was able to get away. His father had been given word of the surprise attack on the Fairies’ kingdom. The king of the werewolves had gathered his army to march to his neighbor’s kingdom and help defend them. The kings of both kingdoms lived in peace and were great allies to each other. The warlocks were invading Selene castle. But Gray knew they could not be able to take it fully. Midnight had once told him of the final spell that her mother had cast upon her before she had taken her last breath. It was a story both had heard often from her father. The castle had little to worry about.

Midnight, he thought wistfully, where have you gone? As soon as this horrifying night was over and all was calm he would gather the courage to ask her father. If the king said nothing, he could tell him of the bond they had made. He needed to know where she was. He couldn’t be weak anymore. He wouldn’t cry because others looked down on him. He would protect the place Mindy would come back to.

He looked up to the full moon, the same one in which he had kissed Midnight under. “May Selene keep my love safe.”

Life can be a real pain sometimes” Inez Showalter exclaimed loudly to her best friend, Alice Patterson, sitting next to her. She was defiantly smashed. But hey, being depressed was her business. Didn’t mean Alice wasn’t worried about her.

Alice caught Inez before she fell face first on the floor to be stomped by the many participates of the bar. “Maybe we should go before you make a total fool out of yourself, well more of a fool.”

Inez clutched onto her friend tightly to keep up right, her face whiter then usual .Inez was a pretty girl platinum blond hair, the body of a model, the face of an angel. It was hard to believe that this girl didn’t have a good life.
Inez put her hand to her mouth, “That might be a good idea; I think I’m going to puke.” And that was exactly what she did the second they were out of the bar and in the fresh cold air. Inez hurled into the bushes close to the bars doors.

The night hadn’t gone very well for either of the women. Inez had been cheated on yet again. Her thirty-fifth, so she had kept shouting as she knocked back shots like they could wash away the pain. She had called her childhood friend and orphan buddy Alice, so she could have a friend by her in her time of need. Both girls were more like sisters then anything.
Alice hadn’t seen it as such a bad idea; she had had a hell of a day too. Getting fired from a job after working there for ten years was a harsh splash of reality. She was only in her early thirties and she had nowhere to go. She was just glad that she had Inez beside her or she would be homeless. With not being able to make the rent, she had to leave her apartment and asked Inez if she could stay with her. She had agreed gladly. But that only made sense.

Both girls had no known family and had been together since Alice was twelve and Inez ten, both left in an orphanage. No real family to call their own. It was a blessing and a horror that neither were adopted. Neither wanted to leave the other behind, and they were as close as sister could really get. Yet both girls were extreme opposites. Inez was a spunky, fire fuelled level headed blond, when her heart wasn’t being broken. Alice was a sweet and kind person who had never said a single word against anyone. That was probably why she had been pushed around a lot in the office.

Alice sighed and looked up at the sky. The full moon was out, not a single cloud in the sky and the feelings that came with it enveloped her in a sense of belonging. The night had always been her friend, her lover, and made her feel welcomed. She couldn’t help the feeling of lust that always came over her at an embarrassing rate. Never having a boyfriend she was even amazed that she knew of the feeling.
“Hey Kitten, we should get home,” Inez said with a groan wiping her mouth with her arm. She stumbled up to Alice and linked her arms with hers. “Dear God, I just know that I’m going to regret all of this in the morning.”
Yet Inez still had a purpose in life. She had something to love that made her that spunky women Alice cared for. Her love of books and her book store were the one thing in Inez’s life that meant everything, next to Alice of course. She may not have seemed like a book nerd to most but then it was only Alice that truly knew her. So no matter how many men came along looking for something that they would never get, Alice was the only person she really needed.

Inez looked at the much beloved moon, and saw a wonderful sight.

“Look Kitten it’s a star let’s make a wish.” She put her hands together in prayer, squinting her eyes tightly closed just like the used to when they were children.

“Really Inez, it didn’t work as kids it’s not going to work now. Why even bother?” But she wasn’t listening, her brow furrowed in thought wishing hard. Alice sighed and joined her. Both girls singing their little rhyme softly.

Upon this moon so old yet new
I pray upon my soul to you

It’s in this simple rhyme that both women had known since they were children. They never knew where it had come from or why the believed in it so much. They only knew that they were magic words that could one day grant you your every desire. What they wished for was reason, they wished for love, for everlasting happiness. But they did so not knowing that they would obtain just that and so much more.

*
*
*
*

“Hey Iz, you can’t ignore me forever. Can’t you just forgive me, just this once? Give me another chance. Ill do anything just name it.” Damn it, Inez knew this would be a problem; there was always a problem with men. Bill Kennings had come to bother her thinking that she would be stupid enough to really take him back. But what really frustrated her most was the fact that he was doing it on her hours. Hers! Her peaceful store of novels, her heaven owned domain where she hid from men such as him had just been interrupted by an insisted conniving demon. Damn him.

“Buy something or get out Bill. I don’t want to deal with you.” She returned her attention to an awaiting customer that was paying advent attention to the conversation. Inez quickly got her rung up so that she would leave. She turned back to Bill, “I told you that it was over. Why you can’t get that through your thick skull? I want nothing to do with you. I told you that when you cheated on me that I wouldn’t put up with it. You’re the one that decide to go against that, not me.”

Bill glared at her like it was in fact her fault, “Jesus, well what do you expect, you would never put out. I’m not exactly a saint Iz. You refuse to do anything with me except kiss.”

Inez grew hot and she knew that she was turning red, “you should not talk of these things in public.” She tuned to another advent listing customer and rung her up. When the woman was gone, the bells on the door stating her exit, Inez came around the corner, grabbed and pulled Bill to the door. “Come back at a later time, like when I’m not busy with customers,” trying with all her might to push him out the door.

He turned to her as if she weren’t pushing at all, “only if you promise that you’ll forgive me and be mine again,” he took her hand in his, “I really do like you Iz. Even if it doesn’t show that well, you’re really special to me and I know that I was stupid for what I did, Ill make it up to you I promise.”

“Ok I get it just go,” she said impatiently making shooing motion with her hands.

He frowned a little but that charming smile came back, “ill prove it,” he kissed her on the cheek, hugged her and left. She sighed hard staring at his retreating back. She had a really bad feeling and damned if those feelings weren’t right every time. If had always been as if she had a sixth sense and knew what was going to happen before it happened. The same went for Alice and she wouldn’t even be amazed if her friend had the same feeling.
The stores door open, the bells gleefully announcing the arrival, and speak of the devil; there stood Alice, a concerned frown on her sweet face. Inez chuckled, “you get a bad feeling too?”
“Yeah, did something happen?” Alice looked around the store, Inez did the same. There weren’t many occupants in the store; not many to really be called busy. Yet, she couldn’t help be happy with the books that surrounded her. Both Alice and her had always loved being able to hold knowledge in the palm of their hands. It made them almost feel invincible. She turned to Alice to find her smiling at her, “nothing looks amiss, and it’s not very busy. Do you want to lock up soon, and head to our new favorite café?”
Inez’s eyes shined brighter, “that sounds like a wonderful idea.” A break was exactly what she needed after the stress she had to deal with and a nice caramel latte sounded like paradise at the moment.
After ringing up the last few costumers with Alice’s help, Inez locked up and they headed to the Luna Café across the street.
The café had opened a few months ago, and the man who worked here could make a mean latte that had both girls hooked. It was also the atmosphere around the place that could pull you toward it. The place worked wonders on the mind and body. The smell of coffee and spice just made for a relaxing mood.
As the stepped into the store the warmth held them like a new lover. Plush couches lined the far south wall where couples and singles sat. From the other side, table sat and on the far north side were computers that were for public use. The walls were painted in a rich chocolate color that was appealing to the eyes. All in all it was a basic comfortable café that welcome all.
Straight from the front door was a bar type counter where you ordered. And that’s where they were headed.
The cashier, Harry Phin looked up from the book he was reading to look at them. He smiled big, straight teeth shining, “ello girls, I guess the usual.”
“You bet you, Harry,” Inez said giving a bright smile of her own.
Alice shook her head, “I think I’ll try something different today, just not in the mood for vanilla today,” she considered the menu next to the cash register.
“Ok tell me when you’ve made your choice. Inez?” he said her name in a husky tone, looking her from top to bottom. Damn if the man wasn’t sexy. She always wondered why she didn’t consider dating him. His eyes were an emerald green. Features sharp, but lips pouty and soft. Recently she had been having dreams of him in only that apron he always wore in the store. He seemed like a man who wouldn’t turn his back on you and date someone younger, or older in Bill case, the bastard.
“Hey you ok,” Harry ask, bringing her back from her thoughts. “You seem out of it.”
“Oh I’m fine, just a hard day I guess.” Try hard week, she thought bitterly to herself. “I think I might try something new, also.” She stared over Alice’s shoulder, ignoring the suspious look he gave her.
After getting their order, and Inez avoiding eye contact Harry completely, they sat in their usual booth in the far corner of the café.
“You really should go for him you know, I think he likes you.” Alice said staring at her friend over the rim of her cup gauging a reaction. She wasn’t disappointed.
Inez choked on her coffee, and beat her chest till she felt like her heart moved a few spaces over. “Are you crazy, we don’t even know if he has a girlfriend,” Inez stuttered blushing a pretty pink.
“He doesn’t have one I already asked” she said with a smug smile.
Inez’s jaw dropped, “when? Why? “
“Just now, when you decide to ditch me at the counter and rush over here. After the way he looked at you I thought he might have a little thing.”
The pink turned to red. “Doesn’t matter, remember I already have someone.”
“That you want to get rid of.” She pointed out.
“Still…” she cast a longing look at Harry. As if he could feel her eyes on him, he turned toward her, and smiled brightly. She quickly turned away, and dropped her head in her arms. After a moment she heard a snort, and glared up at her friend. She was usually never shy when it came to men. She was a usual flirt and was the one to pick up guys. Problem was that she never really picked good ones, always afraid to get rejected.
Alice put down the hand that hid her smile, reading her mind, “he seems like he would be better than that Bill guy. Just give it a try.” She expression softened, “I just wish you could be happy and not keep dating scum like you have been. You know that you deserve better then you let yourself have.”
Inez sighed in defeat, “Alright, I will ask him on a date, only after I get rid of the other cheater.” She smiled slyly, rubbing her hand together in anticipation, “and if he cheats on me you have to do anything that I say.”
Alice thought about it, and laughed inwardly. Just like old times. Always making deal as kids. And Inez always made them still knowing that she would lose. She smiled and held out her hand, “it’s a deal.”

*
*
*
*

Preparations were almost done, and his sweet princess would soon be home. The dark figure stalked in the shadows near the café where he could see Princess Midnight laughing with her servant. His hands clenched in delight of the coming victory. After all these years his plans were finally coming together. It may have taken him several years to find her but that would all change soon. The princess would be home and he could finally rule the kingdom he so deserved. With the queen of Fairies by his side he would be unstoppable.
After one last longing glance at his future wife, the man applied his cloak and flew into the night sky where he was safe from human eyes. So pathetic were these useless piles of stringed flesh. Not able to see the monsters that lurked around them in every shadow. He would soon take his future bride from this useless world and take her back to where she belonged, where they both belonged.
It was only a matter of time.

*
*
*
*

The next day, Sunday night
10pm

Inez sat heavily in one of the comfy, plush couches in Luna Café. Why was it so hard to dump a guy? Bill had put up a fight, arguing points that made no sense, threatening her, and she was only lucky that she had chosen a public place to tell him the bad new or she would have joined the billboard full of missing women. She would have to put an alarm system in her apartment or get a dog because the man really seemed lethal.
She sighed, looking longing at the counter and debated whether she should make it up there to get a nice and warm latte. Her shop was closed on Sunday, but the café wasn’t, and that was a blessing in disguise. This was the perfect place to come when she wanted to think. No really bothered anyone here and it was quiet except for the little whispers of the couples in the counter or the keys of someone on the computer.
Deciding that she would not even try to standing, she opened the book she had out and began to read. The book was an interesting mystery with an unsolved murder. She always picks the type of book she read depending on her mood. It wasn’t so much of a mystery to tell what mood she was in when she was reading a horror and suspense novel. Alice had always made fun of her and guessed her moods only on the book she was holding.
It was a while later when someone put a hand on her shoulder surprising her. “Alice asked that I give this to you.” She looked up in to warm emerald eyes full of humor.
As her wide eyes he chuckled, “she wanted you to have this. She was here a moment ago. Said she saw the book you were reading and didn’t want to interfere.” His smile widen at her blush, “I didn’t know you read depending on the mood, quite interesting.”
Oh God, Alice had told him, and that was just embarrassing. It was enough that she was a book worm. Her habits just made it worse.
“I kind of think it cute,” he said, as if reading her thoughts.
She looked up at him wary, and took the mug he held out to her. The cup warmed her hands. She brought it close and let the steam spread over her and breathed in the scent of sweet caramel, just like she liked. She smiled and heard Harry clear his voice trying to get her attention. She looked up to see him staring at her, an unreadable expression across his face. He shook his head, and smiled down as her.
“So I was thinking,” he paused as if thinking what to say, “umm well uh… I get off early tomorrow and… well maybe…uh.” He blushed a bright red.
Inez almost laughed aloud, but reeled it in thinking it would be rude. He was trying to ask her out, just as she was thinking of doing the same thing after getting rid of the jerk, of course. She smiled brightly up at him, “how about we meet here at six and hit it off from there. Those sound good?”
His smile was heart stopping gorgeous, making her feel all warm inside, “that sounds wonderful, amazing, and fantastic.”
She chuckled, “that’s good. But for now I think you have customers.” She said as she pointed at the new customers that had just come in.
“Ok,” he took her hand and kissed the back of it, “till tomorrow mon chere.” She watched him leave, the slight spring in his step showed. She sighed. It was probably time to go home and possibly torture Alice for her little slip no matter how accepting the man was.
The cold wind of winter nipped at her nose as she stepped from the warm café. The usually busy streets of New York were nearly empty. Her apartment with her new adorable and annoying roommate was only a few blocks away so she could get home fast. She started walking toward her destination, but caught something in the corner of her eye. In an alleyway, what looked like eyes, shined back at her. She shivered. The aura pouring from the alley was vicious, a feeling of evil and death trying to wrap itself around her body.
She walked faster, but she could still feel the eyes on her. Suddenly her cell rang. She quickly picked it up.
“Inez? Hey girl where are you.” Alice asked sternly.
Inez relaxed slightly, “I’m on my way home.”
“Oh, please tell me you’re not walking. You know it’s not safe at night.”
“Yeah, yeah I know. I’m sorry mom; I’ll take a cab next time.”
She heard a groan on the other line and chuckled. Alice sighed, “Just be careful and walk fast or the ghouls will get you.” She hung up without a bye.
Inez pouted at the phone, and then smiled. It was just like Alice to act the mother to her child of a friend. Even when they were kids growing up in the orphanage. Neither knew their own parents. They had never met them, and neither had their memories from before they were put in the family less home. No one had ever tried to claim them, or tried to give them a warm household. They grew up together, defending each other, fending for only the two of them. Even now they were as close as ever. They didn’t need anyone to take care of them. They didn’t need the families that had abandoned them. They were closer sisters then most blood sister were.
Deep in warm thoughts, Inez didn’t notice the empty streets or the dark figure that stepped right in front of her, causing her to bumped into him
“Oh, I’m sorry, I was payin-” she shuddered. She looked up high and froze. Dear saints in heaven, the man had to be the dark angel Himself. Ruffled, cut short, raven black hair. Face and body cut as if from stone. This man, a maybe god; hell, Harry was a peasant compared to this kingly beauty. He wore a black t-shirt that stretched tight and didn’t hide a single muscle, and a pair of black pants that molded nicely to his leg that were three times bigger than her own. She stared down at his hands and determined that he could crushed her head between them like nutcracker cracking a, well, nut.
He stared intently down at her not saying a word. Ok maybe that kingly wasn’t far off. The man was rude.
She sighed. She didn’t have time for this. If she didn’t get home soon, Alice would call every police station in New York and bug them till they found her. They didn’t need any trouble like that again.
“Ok dude,” she said deliberately, “I’m sorry I bumped into you, have a nice night.” She started to walk around, and was stop by the nut cracking hand around her arm. “Let go creep.” She said in a panicked tone. That cab sounded like a wonderful idea right now.
“Midnight, you need to come with me.” So he could speak. She had gotten the rude part down, and scary could be added to the list.
“You got the wrong person. I’m not Midnight, and I’m sure as hell not going anywhere with you.” She tried to pry her arm, but he kept a firm grip. “Let me go now, you bastard.”
“You are not safe here any longer; you need to come with me.” When she tried to kick him in his family jewels, he only sidestepped her attempt, and chuckled. The devil chuckled! Like this was some sort of joke. “You haven’t changed much, have you little one.”
Ook, the man was rude, scary, and disliltional. Help!

*
*
*
*

His Little Midnight had grown up, thought Gray; his eyes roamed her body even as she tried to break his hold. The little Fairy princess no longer had the look of a trouble making tom boy, but of a women with curves in all the right places. Damn he had missed her and he had to rein himself in before he held her tight in his arms. As kids, she was the only he could really talk to. The only one who really understood him. She was the only royalty that didn’t look down on him as a half breed to a king’s mistress. She may not know him now, but she would soon. She would remember all their time together right before she was hidden in this human infested plain.
He stared down at her as she struggled against his hold. Her silver blond hair was in disarray, falling about her shoulders. Eyes, the deep color of amethyst, burned bright with rage. She wasn’t very threatening with her hour glass figure, and her pure womanly softness. If anything it just made him want to hold her more. Fairies were all beautiful, but she was by far the most perfect one he had ever seen.
He sighed. He didn’t have time to admire his mini obsession. Already, Gabriel was stalking her. He had felt his presence before and it was a wonder that he hadn’t already made his move when he had first found her. The bastard was obviously cloaked now and hidden well or his beast senses would have caught wind of him. He picked her up and threw her over his shoulder.
“You brute, put me down this instant. I swear you will pay the consequences. I have people who will look for me.” She ranted. He bounced her on his shoulder to shut her up. Sadly it only made things worse. By the time he made it to his car that was parked around the block, she had already threatened his manhood and the manhood of his future children if he could still reproduce.
“This will all make sense soon little one, just hold on.” He opened the passenger’s door and dropped her on the seat. She sat stunned for a moment before trying to open the door he closed. With child’s lock it would be difficult. Before she could even think about rushing out the driver’s door, he was already in the seat and starting the car. She looked dumbfounded, and he saw her pinch her arm. He smiled as he pulled onto the street.
This isn’t a dream sweetheart. And it’s only going to get worse.

What was he going to do to her? Was she going to be raped, murdered, cut into itty bitty piece, or buried alive? She would try attacking while he was driving, but that didn’t seem like such a good idea. And he was too strong, from what he had shown earlier, she wouldn’t have a chance. She saw red, anger filling her veins, as she remembered how he had thrown her over his shoulder like some beast. She would so make him pay for this; at least she hoped she would live long enough to do so.
She curled up in the small leather seat; knees close against her chest, and glared daggers at her kidnapper. They drove in silence for a long time, the only sound being the heater blowing and no music played. She began to think that maybe he had forgotten how to talk again. Sadly, he proved her wrong.
“I’m not going to hurt you, you know.” He said still looking out on the deserted street going to who knows where.
“Sure that what all kidnappers say before they ransomed a raped victim. Just so you know I have no family that can pay you. You picked up the wrong girl.” She felt very smug at the statement until he gave her a lopsided smile as if he thought of an inside joke. She scooted her back closer to the door, not caring about the uncomfortable position.
“What’s with that creepy smile?” and a little sexy, she thought to herself.
He laughed, “Just thinking about how this is all going to pan out.”
“I have an idea, let me go and look me up in another hundred years and maybe we’ll see how things will ‘pan out.’” He only lifted a brow at her, and looked back at the road.
“I wish it could be that way, but things have changed and your father believes that it’s the right time for you to come back home.” He looked at her from the corner of his eyes to see her reaction. She had pinched herself again. “This isn’t a dream, Midnight. You were given into human custody at the age of ten to protect you from an evil villain who wanted to take over your father’s kingdom. Now your father is dying and he needs you home as soon as possible.” His hand tightened on the steering wheel, “and you are our last hope.”
Inez stared at him blankly. Ok, this man was defiantly nuts. A kingdom, a king, an evil villain, and she was their last hope. This was a dream, had to be. She didn’t have a family. She only had Alice, and that’s all she needed, all she ever needed. Hot dark angels did not just swoop in and take you away to a kingdom, tell an orphan that she has a family, and that a father who she never heard of, and a king at that, is dying. She had to get away from this nut.
He broke the silence she had created with her thinking, “my guess is that you don’t believe a word that coming out of my mouth,” no duh, she thought to herself mentally rolling her eyes. “Well you’ll have the truth soon enough. When we get to Russian Plain, your father can explain your whole heritage.”
Say what now, she thought angrily. “Say what now, I’m not going to Russia,” she practically screamed. Maybe this man had broken out of an insane asylum. She couldn’t even begin to think of the things that were going wrong right now. Or it could be that her first theory was true. This was only a dream. Yes! That’s was only thing this whole mess could be. She dreamed up a life that wasn’t boring, and she had a family. If she closed her eyes and concentrated then this would all go away. If she slept in a dream, then you would wake, have an awkward laugh, and go on with things as usaual. That was how dreams worked didn’t they?
She determinately clenched her eyes closed; she just needed to fall asleep. It wasn’t long after she lay her head down against the window that the darkness followed and she fell into a fitful slumber.
Gray stared over at her. She was so beautiful, he thought longingly. In sleep she looked so innocent. Her long lashed fluttered hiding those beautiful amethyst eyes. He chuckled as he remembered the snapping anger she had shot at him. He could remember that look when she had been mad at those who had been against him. She had known him then, and would again soon. Soon she could even be his. Their marriage would bind both of their species in a strong alliance, and both would be unstoppable. Werewolves and Fairies were two of the strongest clans in the Lunar race. Werewolves for their strength and cunning. Fairies for the clever and magic. Not even the witches or warlocks thought of raising a hand against their breeds. Midnight could be that strong after she was taught, and she was going to need the skill. The prophet said that the princess, and last heir, of fairies, her closest sibling, and the man to whom she was to love would save the kingdom. He had kept Selene, the mighty castle named after the Greek goddess that the lunar race worshiped, safe. He waited patiently for the day that would come when she must return home. He just wished it wasn’t under such drastic measures.
Midnight mumbled in her sleep, and he smiled. He felt himself falling for her all over again. It was hard not to fall for her. She was strong in will, not letting anything get to her.
He turned away from her as he tried to temper the sudden heat that boiled up and through his body. He would not give into his darker urges. He sighed there was only one way to the plain of Russia; a plain that was hidden from human eyes, right under their noses. Creatures of the night and of horror stories live just beyond, and not one was the curious. Yet it was amazing that they could not notice the consent war that surrounded them. Even now witches fought nymphs and furies for territory. The battles weren’t very pretty. Hundreds died everyday and a lot of them were bystanders. Werewolves were struggling with vamps and warlocks. Chaos, all due to the missing queen of order. The fairies had a queen for just the purpose of order. The powerful white magic of the farire queen healed. Black magic killed the land. But no queen at all? Nothing was right. All plains were twisted and wrong. The sweetest of creatures turning blood thirst. Children killing their own parents because of boredom. Mountains swallowing whole villages. And that wasn’t even the worst of things.
He stopped the car. They would have to cross the waters a small way to an unseen island some miles away. He stared at his lovely Midnight.
That one fated night so many years ago. Two children kneeled face to face praying to forever be together. He remembered it even now. He had grown up since then, and he would show her just how willing he was to protect her.

His life was nothing compared to hers.

Where was Inez, she should have already been home, Alice thought. She burned a path in the carpet with her pacing. She had tried to call several times but only got voice mail. What if something had happened? Inez never didn’t not tell her where she was because she knew Alice would freak. Alice had always been the mother figure when it came to their relationship. They cared for each other but Alice had always felt duty bound to always make sure that Inez was safe.

She felt her sixth sense going crazy. Something was wrong, and her friend was in trouble. She felt an urgency to search the whole city for her. What was going on?

She stared down at the phone she put on the coffee table, compelling it to ring and prove that she was just worrying too much. Inez was fine. She just hoped it was true.

They were supposed to celebrate her birthday with wine and tubes of ice cream in front of horror flicks, till dawn broke and they could repeat that rhyme the always said in hope of a good year. But they couldn’t do that if she wasn’t here.

She looked down at her wristwatch. It was almost midnight, where the hell was she. After pacing a few more times she gave up on reining herself in and grabbed her coat. She would search for her. Maybe she just decided to go back to the café and flirt with her almost boyfriend.

She prayed that that was the case.

“Mindy, maybe we shouldn’t be here.” Gray said holding onto the skirt of Midnight’s gown. They had been playing tag in the courtyard when Midnight had noticed a hole in the stone wall that protected the castle. Gray had known by the gleam in her eyes that she was in an exploring mood. He really disliked her exploring mood. It always got them in trouble.

The hole they found had been on the west wall where the forest was. Midnight had never been allowed outside the castle without a guard, so she took an opportunity when she saw it. They were tracking through the forest till they found a small cottage. And that wasn’t an exaggeration, it was really tiny. Because they were small themselves it was the right size for them. Midnight had wanted to play house in the cottage and was trying to find a way to break in because the door was locked.

“I looked in the windows; it’s all dusty, which means that no one’s been here in a while. It should be safe.” She back away from the door a little, “I’m going to try a little spell stand back a little ok.”

“No Midnight” he said tugging on her gown again, “I have a very bad feeling about this really, we should just head back. We can play house at that club house in the gardens, it’s safer there.”

She sighed, “Gray, poor little Gray.” She turned around to face him, “that house is too big and extensive. This could be a place for just us. Our little secret, how about it?”

Gray thought to protest, but thought better of it. Once Mindy set her mind on something she didn’t change it no matter who argued.

She stared intently at him. “I want your promise that you will keep this a secret.” Her eyes burned a blazing amethyst. Her will alone was why he always followed her. If she were to become queen, she would rule well and would have loyal subjects everywhere, maybe even in other plains.

He smiled at her, and held out his pinky, “I promise, my princess.”

Inez awoke and stretched. Wow, she was stiff. It seemed that she had fallen asleep on her favorite arm chair again. Or not she thought as she wriggled in the seat. Her chair was very comfortable no matter how long she sat in it. She had made sure that it was puffy so that she would sleep through the night if she so happen to stay up reading again. She sat in a seat with stiff cushions. She opened her eyes and gasped.

Well she definitely wasn’t in her home. Heck she wasn’t on even on steady, solid ground. The room she was in moved and she felt the tilt of her body that went back and forth. It was too dark to see anything vividly, but she could tell she was on a boat. It hadn’t just been a dream. She had really been kidnapped. What was she going to do? Then an idea hit her, her cell phone. She searched her entire person. Where was it? She couldn’t have dropped it could she have.

“Looking for this love,”

She quickly turned to find the dark angel dangling a cell by the cresset moon phone strap she had on it.

He turned it in his hand. “It seems right to pick a moon considering what you are.”

“Give me my cell now you monster.” She said in a menacing tone, ignoring his comment.

“I don’t see why I shouldn’t,” he tossed it to her. She checked it but was disappointed to find it dead. Dammit, how was she to contact help now. “Now that you’ve had a nap, are you willing to hear me out?”

“I don’t see why I would do that after you threw me over your shoulder like you’re a caveman and you didn’t even hear me out when I told you to let me go, you beast.”

He smiled, “well you aren’t far off.” He came into the small cabin, closed the door behind him, and leaned against it. Not like she could leave anyway. She had never been much of a swimmer, and she had no idea where they even were.

“What do you mean by that,” she said with what she hope was a searing glare.

She obvoiusly failed because he only chuckled. “If you say you’re willing to listen, it can brief you on what you’re going to have to deal with real soon.” He walked away from the door and faster then she could blink he was gone. He had moved so quickly that her brain didn’t yet register that he stood behind her.

“Ho-how did you do that,” she turned and stumbled forward, as far from him as the small cabin would let her. “You really are a monster aren’t you?”

“No and yes, my dear Mindy.” He sat in that chair that she had woken up in. he turned on a lamp that stood right next to it. She looked around at the now reveled cabin. It was clean if not small. Shelves on the back wall held books. The polished wood of the wall and floor gleamed in the light. The room was practically bear except for the chair lamp and bed. Next to her on the bed was a duffel bag emptied onto it. Her eyes widened. There were guns knifes, of all shapes and sizes. She looked back at him.

“For Christ’s sake, don’t look at me like that,” he stood and made as if to come toward her, but the look on her face must have stopped him. He cursed and sat back down. He closed his eyes and raked his paw of a hand through his hair with what sounded like a frustrated sigh. His eyes opened and he leaned forward, set his elbows on his thighs. “I have absolutely no intention of hurting you, Midnight.”

Inez glared at him. “I have already told that that is not my name, I know no one by that name. I have never even heard the name before.” Except from her dreams but this weirdo didn’t need to hear that. “And do you really expect me to believe that you won’t hurt me. I don’t know you and I don’t know what you want, but there is someone at home worried sick about me. If you let me go I swear I won’t turn you in.” She really just wanted to forget any of this had even happened.

“I know Alice is waiting for you, and it’s only to be expected considering. But I must take you home.”

“How do you know Alice?” Reliaiaztion hit her. She had been having the feeling that she was being watched a lot recently but had discarded. The menace that followed her never bothered her, so she had thought that there’s been nothing to worry about. She was thinking differently now, “you’re the stalker that’s been following me aren’t you, aren’t you?” she demanded

“No, I’m not but I know who has been, and he is the reason you must return to your home at the kingdom.”

“You keep talking about a kingdom, about home like I’m a princess or something.”

“That’s because you are.”

“Ha,” she said with a hysterical laugh, “yeah right. Now I know you’re just a nut.” She inched slightly toward the weapons that were set on display. “What makes you so sure of this princess crap.” Keep him distracted.

“We grew up together, that’s why.” The smile he gave her made her pause. He seemed hurt by the knowledge that she did not know him. “I’m actually your mate, but due to certain evil forces, your father was forced to send you into this plain of humans.”

“Again, you say that as if we’re not humans, I’m sure you’re a freak, but that could be my imagination.” She thought about it, “No I’m sure you’re a freak.”

He flinched at the statement like she had backhanded him. “I guess to humans, yes, we’re considered freaks.”

“No not us, just you.”

He gave her a bright smile, “no I mean us.” He considered her for a second. He gave a long sigh. The next words that came out of his mouth made her heart skip a beat. “Inez Showalter, you are the princess and future queen of all Farire. You are part of the Lunar Race.”

This chapter is a bit weird. With Alice talking to the late queen it may be a bit confusing. It will be explained later on how it was possible.

“Wake sweet, you must wake.”

Alice awoke and shot off the couch she had crashed on after coming home from a failed attempt at finding Inez.

“It is time, you fulfill the promise you made. You must protect you master and your princess”.

Alice’s head started to fill with images of Inez. No not Inez, Midnight. Midnight, the future queen of all Farire; she was of the Lunar Race, a race hidden from prying and curious human eyes. She remembered all the time she had spent with her master. Then she remembered the night that they had had to leave the castle unsafe walls. She had promise to bring the princess back safe on this very date.

“Yes my dear feline friend. You made a promise.”

Alice saw no one with her but the women’s voice was definitely there.

“Yes Alice it has been awhile, it is I Midnights mother.”

Alice felt as if she should bow to the voice but that just seemed silly.

There was a chuckle. “You need not be formal at all. We are after long time friends even if I am no longer truly there anymore.”

“My queen, do you know where Midnight could possibility be.” Although it was weird accepting all of this so easily it was as if she had never forgotten who she really was.

“I do know where you can find her. And she is in grave danger. Gabriel has found her and will be making his move very soon. You must help Gray get her back through the portal before the last night of the full moon. Or you will be stranded where you are and be vulnerable to attack. My Mindy needs to be back at the kingdom where she will have to learn how to rule. You must teach her my sweet.”

“I will my queen.”

“I know you will. I will also give you the same powers of a normal shape shifter. You will be able to change into you feline form again. But my husband’s promise is still in place. Be very careful with my Mindy or you will never walk with two legs again.”

“I understand my queen.”

“Thank you my old friend. I have done for you all that I can. We shall never speck again. May our goddess Selene be with you, Goodbye Alice.”

“Good bye, my queen.” Then all was silent, images of the ocean passing by in her mind. She would fulfill her promise no matter what. “Time to be on my way.”

Inez felt like this dark angel in disguise had just smacked her. Fairies didn’t exist, they just didn’t. And what was the Lunar Race, it just seemed so surreal. She felt a hysterical laugh bubble up in her throat. It was like Alice down the rabbit hole. One minute everything is as it used to be, the next she knew she finds that she a princess and soon to be queen. Well at least no one would be taking her head, at least she hoped not.

“Wait I can’t believe this, I just can’t.” She whispered to herself. She looked at the nut across from him. He only stared at her with an expression of obvious love. He acted as though they were long time friends. Ok, this was just too weird. “Person, um crazy caveman, uh whatever, I don’t give a damn is I’m this queen or princess that you are thinking of. I’m just an orphan who never had any family but my close friend Alice. I own a book store that I earned with every investment that I could make. I don’t care what you believe, I’m not the one you’re looking for.” She practically yelled more for herself then him. The more that she was with him; the more familiar that he seemed.

The man got out of the chair and walked toward her slowly and cautiously as if he didn’t want her to be scared of him; too late buster. Inez tried to grab the closest knife that she could get her hands on. A moment later as if in slow motion, she was on her back on a cleared bed, hard muscle pressing down on her, her arms held together in one hand above her head. Though she was discourage, the one thing that ticked her off, was the cocky smirk spread on thought pouty full lips.

“Get off me you stupid man.” She tried to get her hand from him

“Gray.”

She stopped struggling, dumbfounded, “What?”

“My name sweetheart it’s Gray.” He smiled at her and took advantage of her confusion by pressing his lips to hers. The kiss was soft and sweet. He swallowed her gasp passed his lips. He was a good kisser, she thought grudgingly. She felt one of his hand smooth down her side and pause at her hip. He deepened the kiss and she couldn’t help a longing moan as her thrust his tongue in her mouth. He was a really good kisser.

Suddenly she felt him let go of her writs and weave his fingers in her hair, bringing her closer. Now was her chance. She laid back from him in fake submission, and she felt him relax. She lifted her arms and wound her arms around his neck. Her accepting had obviously turned him on because he began kissing her face and neck with little pecks, and moving his hands all over her. She slowly slid her hands determinately to his neck combing her hands in his hair. She heard him groan in pure pleasure. He was wrapped around her little finger, such a shame. She moved her hands to his neck and pressed both her thumbs in the pressure point was right where his shoulder met the neck.

He yelp in pain and pushed up which gave her an opportunity to knee him where it counted. He gasped and fell to the floor and clutched his privates in agony.

“You see that’s what you get for not listening to me.” She quickly got up and rush to the door. She slammed it behind her and convinetintly she was able to lock it from the outside. Weird, she thought, she felt a sense of something coming from the door and had a feeling that it would hold the man inside. Ignoring the feeling she ran to what was obviously the deck. She was surprised to find that they were docked. She jumped out of the boat and ran down the pier wanting the get at far away as possible.

“Inez” she heard a familiar and much needed voice shout. Alice was running at her arms wide. “You’re alright, thank goodness.” She said as she reached Inez. She hugged her close.

Inez pushed her back a little but didn’t let go. “How did you know where to find me?”

Alice gave her a secretive smile, “I have my ways.” She looked around her.
There was something different about her, but Inez couldn’t quite put her finger on it. Alice seemed more alert, and the feeling she had gotten from the door seem to surround her like a blanket.
Alice looked into her eyes, and the next thing she said made her freeze “Where’s Gray, Inez”
“Huh,” Inez said, dumbfounded.
“Gray, where is Gray. He was supposed to be keeping you safe.” The look on her face must have surprised her, because doubt flickered over her face. “Has he not told you what you are?”
Inez pushed back from her, anger filling her heart and mind. “What the hell is going on first I’m kidnapped by some guy who thinks I’m a princess with a family I know nothing of and now my best friend is saying that it’s true.” She look at her friend, suspicion quickly filling her mind, “or you not Alice.”
“Izzy it’s definitely me, please allow me to explain. I myself just got a briefing so it’s somewhat new to me to after so many years.” She reached out palms up in a non threatening manner. “I promise that everything will be alright. You know I would never let anything hurt you.”
Inez looked into her eyes and only saw truth. Alice would never lie to her and she knew that. She knew her better than anyone else. “Alright, I understand, but can we go home and talk. Please.”
Alice smiled. “Of course love, we can figure this out together.” She suddenly turned serious, “but first you need to tell me where Gray is so I can kick his ass for not protecting you properly.”
“We don’t need him; let’s just go home, please.” Inez tried to tug her away.
“We need him more then you may think love.” She grabbed Inez’s shoulders and shook her, “now you need to tell me where he is.”
“Fine, he’s in that boat over locked in the room.” She folded her arms against her chest widening her stance in defiance like a stubborn child, “but I am not going back there for any reason.”
Alice sighed. She knew she wasn’t going to get her to move. “Ok then please stay here where I can see you love.” She headed to the boat every few seconds looking back to see that she hadn’t moved, until she had gone below the boats deck.
This just kept getting worse and worse didn’t it? First she’s kidnap and tossed around like a sack of potatoes, and now her best friend was acting weird and claimed to know this Gray fellow. Could her day really get any worse?

She was alone, standing in the cold and ready for the taking. He had followed the mongrel that had taken his princess to the pier, and waited for his chance. He had thought he had lost his chance when the servant had arrived but the women had left Inez on the pier and now she was alone. He quickly cast a simple masking spell and jogged up to her.

“Inez, hey what are you doing here?” Inez spun around to see a familiar face.

“Harry, I should ask the same,” he pulled her into a hug when he reached her.

When he pushed her back, he looked into her eyes. Those emerald eyes enthralled her as she gazed into them. She felt funny, kind of dizzy. Whoa, she was probably more out of it then she thought she was.

“Why don’t we go out for that date now,” he gave her a dazzling smile and she felt herself being pulled in. why not there was nothing that she was doing. She wasn’t busy at all.

“Ok I would love to,” she said giving him a dazed smile in return.

on Aug. 18 2011 at 8:54 am
singinginthegardn GOLD, Cowell, Massachusetts

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin

Good luck on this! It sounds interesting!!

on Mar. 22 2011 at 11:41 am
Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

best of luck!! :)

I will be publishing this after its done, or so I really hope. >.<

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

hmm...............its not that confusing when you word it right

This sounds really interesting!! (i just read the summary so far so)

Are you going to get it published? You should