This Is Your Chance | Teen Ink

This Is Your Chance

By xxLivixx PLATINUM, Mason, West Virginia
xxLivixx PLATINUM, Mason, West Virginia

Author's note: True story.

When we were younger he was the cowboy that always defeated the Indian, the cop that always killed the robber, and the super hero that always saved the citizen. Now we are older and it isn’t time for games. Now, he is the boy who stole my heart. The only problem is that he is still my best friend and I love him, but I am not sure how I love him. It might be more then just a friendship kind of love.

I sat in English class staring at him. Noticing thinks about his physical appearance that I never had before. Like the little mole on the back of his neck or the way his eyes sparkle in the light. Some may say that I am obsessed with Erik, but I say that I’m just his friend. Guys and girls can be just friends. Its part of nature.

“Kim?” Ms. Roque asked. Ms. Roque was an my favorite teacher. I learned a lot from her and she was a good role model.

“Yea?” I snapped out of my gaze and focused my attention on Ms. Roque. She was at her desk slouching in her comfortable chair that I think all students should have.

“May I see you after class?” She asked. Crap, I was in trouble. What had I done? I had finished my work I didn’t have any unfinished or late assignments due. Everybody in class turned toward me, including Erik.

He chuckled, “What did you do know, K?” He asked. I shrugged my shoulders. I motioned him to get back to work and he turned back around.

“Sure.” I replied to Ms. Roque. The bell rang before I could think of an excuse for things that I could’ve done.

“Just my luck.” I whispered to myself. Erik stopped at the door to wait for me. We always ate lunch together and it was lunch time.

“Erik, can you wait outside for a moment?” Ms. Roque asked. Well, she didn’t really ask. It was more like, “I’m going to ask to be polite, but you don’t really have a choice.”, kind of question. Erik nodded and headed out of the room.

“Meet you at my locker.” I told him as he walked out the door. Ms. Roque was staring at me with a big grin on her face.

“What?” I asked.

“Okay, I give up. What is wrong with you two lately?” She asked. I shrugged my shoulders.

“I honestly have no idea what it is your talking about Ms. Roque. Who are you talking about?” I asked her.

“Erik and you. Either your staring at him with dreamy eyes or he is starring at you like he is confused or something.” She giggled.

“Erik stares at me?” I pretty much shouted. She giggled. I tried to hide my blush, but I was to happy to even care. “I’m sorry Ms. Roque, I don’t know what your talking about.” I tried to end our conversation. To my benefit, it worked.

“Okay, you better go. Erik is probably waiting for you at your locker.” I nodded and practically ran out of the room. “Don’t run.” I heard Ms. Roque shout as I left her room. I ran right into my friend, Darien. “I think Erik likes me.” I explained to her what Ms. Roque had told me and how he stares at me confused.

“K, I have been looking for you to tell you that... Erik and I are back together.” Darien and Erik broke up about two months ago. He never told me that they had been talking about getting back together.

“What?” I felt like somebody had just punched me in the stomach.

“I’m really sorry. I thought you knew. Erik usually tells you everything.” That was true. Erik had been acting strange lately and I wasn’t exactly sure why, but now I know. He had been talking to Darien again. How could he not tell me? I thought we were closer then this.

Erik was at my locker waiting for me like I had told him. I didn’t exactly know how to ask him about Darien or why he hadn’t told me, but he quickly figured out that I was mad at him. Him not telling me had made me make a fool out of myself in front on Darien.

“Are you okay?” He asked me. I put my books away and slammed my locker shut. He froze.

“Is there something you think you should tell me?” I asked him. He stood silently for a moment. Then shook his head. “Really, so your not dating Darien again? Oh, and you didn’t forget to tell me you guys were talking. Again.” I finished. He didn’t know what to say. “Okay then, when you want to be a best friend and share secrets, let me know. Goodbye.” I slung my purse over my shoulder and walked away from him. The truth is, is that I don’t want him to be my best friend. I want him to be my boy friend.

“Burn.” I heard Leland say. Leland was Erik’s buddy. Leland wasn’t the sharpest crayon in the crayon box.

“Shut up.” Erik snapped. That was all of the conversation between them that I could catch as I walked off.

I usually ate lunch with Erik, and since I had pretty much ditched him I had no where else to go but the gym. I walked into the gym quickly. I was a nervous wreck. What if he didn’t come find me? What if he didn’t care? What if we never spoke again? I was confused and there was nobody that I wanted to talk to more then Lilly. Lilly was another one of my best friends. I found her in the gym on the top row of bleachers listening to music with her crew. I told her everything that had happened and she was silent for awhile.

“What do I do?” I asked her. She didn’t say anything, but her smile lite up and she pointed to the gym entrance. I turned around to find Erik making his way over to me. Darien was behind him. She was going insane.

“So its over? Just like that?” She screamed. Erik rolled his eyes and turned to face her.

“Yes, the girl I thought was my best friend just walked away from me, and it hurt worse then losing a friend. I am sorry, but it is over between us.” He paused as he made his way to the center of the gym. He stood on our school logo, the White Falcon. “Kim Rose, wherever you are, I’m sorry. You’ve made me realize something.” All eyes were on me. “I cannot be your friend any longer.” My jaw dropped and I felt the need to cry, but I pushed it aside.

I stood up and threw my arms in the air. “What?” I asked. “What is your problem now?” He chuckled.

“I can’t be your friend anymore because I want to be more.” He paused. “More then friends. When we were younger, I was always the hero. Now, you’ve stole my heart and I don’t have enough energy left to try to save it. I have been confused about this for awhile, and now I know that I don’t want it back. I want you.” My friends were pushing on my back trying to get me to walk over to Erik, who was walking over this way.

“Go.” Lilly giggled. I stood up and walked down the bleachers. I stumbled at the bottom and Erik caught me. I stared into his eyes and I knew that he would hold me forever.

nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

short and sweet! loved it!

<3

shootingSTARR_3 BRONZE, Hannibal, Ohio

-"Be the change you want to see in the world."

-Gandhi
-"They can do least who boast loudest."

-Latin proverb
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” ~Harper Lee.
“A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” ~Ayn Rand

awww i loved it!!!! :)

Aaaawww! <3 I loved it. <3

DEROSSETT BRONZE, Hampton, Virginia

“One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching.”

“Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today”

Nice!!!:):)

xxLivixx PLATINUM, Mason, West Virginia
It takes awhile that's for sure.. :) & thank you.

julialove94 SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California

"I live to write, not write to live"

On here? Like a week tops. More like 3-5 days depending on how much you publish at once.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 12:14 am
MiNdLeSsLuVeRgIrL BRONZE, Kenly, North Carolina

If you love something let it go, if it comes back its yours if it doesn't, it never was!

Crazy Awesome seriously keep writing! How long does it take for a persons work to get published?

RRRRR BRONZE said...
RRRRR BRONZE, Orrville, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 83 comments

"Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is when you don't."- Pete Seeger

"I didn't quit because I wasn't strong enough to live through it, i stopped because i was strong enough to move on." -Unknown

This was awesome. The beginning was my favorite, the cowboy and indian analogies were the perfect introduction. It was sweet and nicely written. Great job!

Check out mine; Climbing Back Up Everest

DirectingGabs GOLD, Texas, Texas

\"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.\"

That was so good!!(: