New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

When I'm Gone

Author's note: Actually, my friends all inspired this story. I feel like everyone is searching for their one...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Actually, my friends all inspired this story. I feel like everyone is searching for their one true love and this is a story that shows, that anybody can find it.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Next »

Prologue-March 29,1992

I heaved the black duffel bag onto the window sill and let out a sigh. A slight breeze blew through the window, caressing the back of my neck. I shuddered involuntarily. It was unseasonably cool for this spring night in Georgia.
Suddenly, my dad’s snores ceased and I froze one leg already over the sill. I heard them start up again and I released a long breath. I eased my leg back in and shoved the bag out of the window. It landed with a soft thump on top of the other bags already on the grass below.
I let myself have one last look at my room. The full moon outside cast shadows against the bare white walls. A lone mobile hanging above my bed twirled as the wind hit it. My closet door was open, showing me bare shelves and an empty clothes rack. My darkened grey eyes landed on my bed. The sheets were made and propped up against my pillow was a small piece of paper. I recalled carefully writing the letter, wanting my brother to find it first. Now, it sat on my bed, waiting to be read.
Before I could stop it, a tear slid down my bruised cheek. Soon, more followed and I choked back a sob. Scowling, I angrily wiped the tears on my face, wincing as I touched my swollen eye. I could feel it throbbing with pain as I took my hand away. It’s been a few hours; it has to be turned black and blue now, I thought bitterly.
I jumped out of the window and for a minute it felt as if I could fly. I landed softly on my pile of duffel bags. Scooping them up, I ran towards the black car idled at the corner of the street. I could hear muffled rap music coming from inside and when I opened the door, it poured out onto the streets. Eminem. I could faintly remember seeing him in a concert a few months ago.
“Can you turn that crap down? You’re gonna wake up my dad,” I called inside. I threw my bags into the back seat and shut the door. I jumped in the passenger seat and wiped one last tear off my face.
“I still don’t see why you’re doing this,” said a familiar voice in the driver’s seat. I glanced over at my friend Natalie as she started driving. Her dark hair was pulled up in a messy bun and her usually radiant brown skin was pale and glistening with tears.
“Nat, I can’t stay here. It’s gotten worse,” I replied pointing to my eye. I watched silently as Nat’s grip on the steering wheel tightened, making her knuckles almost turn white. Her breath came in short bursts as she tried to calm down.
“You can stop it, Claire. Call the police.” Nat’s voice was clipped. I sighed and tried to push back the tears threatening to overflow down my cheeks.
“Then Alex and I will be separated. I can’t let them take my brother.”
Nat sighed in agreement and I turned away. Black streets passed by along with a few cars driving with us. After a few minutes of silence, I could finally see the airport ahead.
“I’m going to miss you.” Nat’s voice cracked and I could hear her sobs as she pulled into the line of cars waiting to reach the entrance.
When we finally got to the entrance Nat stopped and held her face in her hands. Her shoulders shook and I wanted to reach out and hug her. However, my flight left in two hours.
“I know. Same here,” I murmured as I slid out and grabbed my bags. I sat them on the sidewalk and looked into the rolled down window. Nat was staring straight ahead, but the tears were still flowing down her cheeks. “I love you Nat.”
I jumped back as she started to roll up the window.
“Love you too.” Came her muffled reply as she drove away. I stood on the sidewalk for a few minutes, thinking that Natalie would turn around and come back to give me a hug, like a real goodbye. I soon gave it up and gathered up my bags once more.
The tears started to flow freely as I took a last glance at the city lights. The skyscrapers lit up downtown and I felt a small smile grace my lips.
“Happy birthday to me,” I said as I walked into the building.

alwaysrealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This book is amazing. I hate to say this but the story made me cry. Before he died i was like he is gonna make. So when i found out he was dead i cried. You should get this book published. Its that good.

Countrystorm said...
This story is so good! You should post it on Wattpad so more people can read it, or look into getting it published!!!!!!

witchchild1234 said...
Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:59 am:
Lov this book. It is soooo amazing... and sad.

Kay_Kay said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm:
I love it I love it I love it I love it! You are such a beautiful writer! The way you have captured the pain and emotion and the images you have created with your descriptions are just stunning.
Just groovy :)

Aleeh said...
May 16, 2012 at 1:29 pm:
This was one of the best things ive ever read on here. Wait i lied. IT IS THE BEST. I am completely overwhelmed by everything this story told. I read it all today during school. I was way to into it to even pay attention to my teachers. Which is very hard considering i dont like to miss anything. This was AMAZING. i love it. well done.

Zuccini75 said...

Wow... this is really good -

It was full of emotion, flow, and all sorts of other writing goodies, keep writing, we're expecting master pieces!

Musiclove said...
This was absolutely amazing! I cried. I hope you continue writing.

misteriousgirl said...
i loved this story i've alredy read it 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please write another

lostkitten37b said...
Beautiful. But you are an officially awful person. I cried. I wish that he hadn't died. :'[ Sadness. ;;

XxilybbyxX said...
 NO WORDS! TRULY AMAZING AND BREATHTAKING!

Kev-GirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I am in  tears. :( This was so sad, but beautiful! I dont even know how to describe it, besides just beautiful. Aww, man...I am honestly at a loss for words. This is now one of my favorite books EVER. 

Beautiful.

Elizabeth B. said...

OMG!!!!!!!! that was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this should be in the print mag. seriously. epically good job.

809. said...
Vanessasandra, you sure it's really good? Il start reading it since yousaid it's that good :)

vanessasandra said...
this needs to get to the top... i'm not joking................. asiufydiauosxyous. k now i'll stop commenting. maybbe. this. is. just. too. good. i. love. it. 

vanessasandra said...
So ummmmmmm, I JUST KEEP COMING BACK TO THIS!!! this is THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER READ AND I AM NOT KIDDINNGGGG. I was really sad about the ending though :'( :'( this should be made into a movie! just... wow. this is a masterpiece. just. wow. im sharing this with everyone :)

lostkitten37b replied...
Dec. 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm :
I agree! Of course, I would probably cry through most of it. This is so amazing. I wish that I could write like this. Of course, if I could, I would make myself cry in five seconds. But he died! Just when she finally fell in love! So sad. :'<

vanessasandra said...

Okay. this. was. absolutely. amazing. it's. crazy. i. cried. 

this is honestly the most amazing story i have EVER read. don't know about you, but this changed my whole perspective about love. :)

PLEASSEEE write more :)

Autumn C. said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 9:53 pm:

Oh my god.  That was amazing.  I cried so hard.  Just proves theres no such thing as happy endings.  Beautifully written.

Peace, love, empathy

Autumn

writemymusic33 said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:24 am:
wow. amazing. this made me bawl! so so sad :'( but extrememly powerful. you have great talent, i hope you always keep writing.

orangeapple said...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 12:36 am:
 at 1:35am during a storm while listening to the song Arms of an Angel I found this story. I cried the whole time reading it and I am still crying. This made me feel really really really depressed.