Unorthodox Angel

Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.
Author's note: I wrote this for my grandpa, as he passed away in September of 2010.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Next »

Chapter Five; Phoenix

I was in a hospital room, with Aunt Penny and some doctors staring at me with astonishment. I had only one question; “Who was talking to me?” I squeaked.
“You heard me?” Aunt Penny asked.
“It was a guy,” I said. They looked at each other. “No one was, sweetie,” she said.
“Yeah, they did,” I said. I knew that, right after hitting the ground, I could hear someone talking to me, then I woke up.
A smile came to Aunt Penny’s face. “It was an angel!” she said.
“Whatever,” I said. Angels my butt, I thought. Her smile faded.
“At least you’re here,” she said, and sighed. The doctors left her and I, but still kept a close eye on me. “Mom’s in jail,” she said. I shrugged.
“Why do I care?” I said as I rubbed my raw throat. My chest didn’t really hurt, but that probably had to do with morphine.
“You should care because you have no where to go unless I take you,” she said.
“What about Dad?” I asked.
“Child Protective Services declared him an unfit parent. No custody,” she said.
I thought about it before saying, “Take me, I’m yours,” She smiled.
“Thought you might say that,” she said. Her phone rang. She looked at it. “Gotta take this,” she said, holding up a finger, and turning the corner out of the room. I sighed. I was stuck. Too little pain to complain about, too much pain to move. I reached over to get the remote for the TV off the table next to the bed. A pain shot through my arm and into my chest as I clasped my purple-tinted fingers around the remote. To get the job done, I tossed it onto my bed, then grabbed my chest. “Owwww….” I moaned. Hospital life sucks. I sat for a moment and let myself breathe.
I looked down at my fingers. It was cold enough in the hospital to make me turn purple. The place where the IV entered my hand was starting to turn blue. I probably looked like a zombie. I gently hooked my fingers on the remote, then hit ‘POWER’. I was greeted by Spongebob Squarepants’ nerdy laugh, and Squidward’s sinus-like voice snap, “Can’t you two morons let me be!”
I flipped through the channels. Mythbusters on Discovery Channel blowing up a car, Adam Richman on Travel Channel’s Man vs. Food trying to eat a ten-pound burger, Jeff Dunham and Achmed on Comedy Central making fun of suicide bombers. I came to the History Channel. They were debating the existence of angels. I thought about Aunt Penny’s guess, and my unknown visitor. Maybe it was an angel. I don’t know. I guess, in my mental state, I could have dreamed it, but I was sure I heard it. He told me to hang on. Knew my name. Said Aunt Penny needed me. Well, angel or not, I was there, and I wasn’t liking it.

ZoePaliski said...
I lost my dad so I understand how you feel about your grandpa. I loved the story, and the last part about your grandpa was so sweet. Keep writing!

RoseLuvsTulips said...
I read the end of the chapter and I was AWW! Then I read the part to your grandpa and I almost cried. Great story though!

Love_Jesus18 said...
Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:05 am:
love the story i am glad that it was like twilight and it was very beautiful but i am so sorry about your grandpa....

poemluv said...
Sept. 17, 2012 at 11:49 am:
I love it! It's amazing and touching(:

nemish23 said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm:

It's a little bit like twilight but apart from that it's a great story! I love the characters, especially their names, they are beautiful.

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I lost a relative too and then wrote a story based on it too. 'From My Heart' if you wanna check it out.

It's funny how writing sometimes helps us grieve right?

But keep writing, you have an awesome talent :)

Winged.Living.Free.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm:
Beautiful! And I'm happy for your Grandpa. :)(:

Roselove445This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm:
That was so good please keep writing i would love to read more!!! :)

BluBirdWriter13 said...
i cried during half of it its so beautifuel

BelleRoy said...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 5:39 am:
This is amazing. You are a terrific writer, and I bet your grandpa is so proud of you and is looking out for you everyday. Thank you for writing this.

Jeera said...
This story is really good and it's pure. :) I like it a lot and your comment at the end is really sweet. I'm sure your grandpa loves it :)

JustCallMeSarah said...
Oct. 16, 2011 at 10:54 am:
It wont let me add this as a favorite! DX Beautifuly written, loved it =)

no1texastiger said...
Aww! I loved this story! Fantastic job!

SilverLuna said...
Pretty dang good!(:

laurenangela replied...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm :
thank you!

LilLover5-15 said...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 10:41 am:
LOVE IT!Absolutley love it

. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
thank you!

. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
Thank you!

AnyaLafayaa said...
This story is so amazing! There's not one spelling error, it's sweet, and has a spectacular plot. I'm completely impressed. Honestly, this story deserves to be number one, it's so heart warming and written well. I'm positive your grandfather is proud of you. Nice work!

laurenangela replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm :
thank you so much!

Bookworm1998 said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm:
beautiful story! i love both of your main characters and i love how cautious and well-minded Phoenix is. i just wish that the story could last longer :)